• Mon., Sep. 22, 2014 11:30 PM - 11:59 PM EDT Jets Post Game: Bears at Jets Reactions and on-field interviews with Jets players immediately following every Jets game
  • Tue., Sep. 23, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Jets Extra Point Analysis of the previous week’s game and exclusive interivews with Jets players and coaches
  • Tue., Sep. 23, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Inside the Jets

• Wed., Sep. 24, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Jets Open Mic

Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences

• Wed., Sep. 24, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM EDT Jets Extra Point Analysis of the previous week’s game and exclusive interivews with Jets players and coaches
  • Thu., Sep. 25, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan

A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup

• Fri., Sep. 26, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Sat., Sep. 27, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Sun., Sep. 28, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Jets Post Game: Lions at Jets Reactions and on-field interviews with Jets players immediately following every Jets game
  • Sun., Sep. 28, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Jets Post Game: Lions at Jets Reactions and on-field interviews with Jets players immediately following every Jets game

DeVito: Defense’s Confidence Remains High

Posted by Eric Allen on October 7, 2011 – 1:28 pm

So you say the Patriots are averaging 507.5 yards and 33.8 points per game? And Tom Brady is on pace to throw for 6,212 yards, WR Wes Welker is on target for 160 catches, 2,464 yards and 20 TDs and TE Rob Gronkowski for 72 receptions, 1,184 yards and 20 TDs? And they’re also running it well?

“I think we can completely shut them down. That’s what we’re going to go in there to do,” said Jets DE Mike DeVito. “If you’re not going in there thinking that, you’re thinking the wrong thing. We have the defense and we have the players, so we’re going in there trying to shut down this offense.”

DeVito is one of the most humble players you’ll ever meet and he’s not one to talk a lot of trash. His response came after he was asked if the Jets have to go into this one hoping to contain this prolific Pats offense with solid third-down and red-zone defense. His answer was honest, refreshing and exactly what you’d like to hear from a veteran who’s tasted a lot of success against the Patriots.

The Jets have won four of the last six in this rivalry, including a dominant performance in January in the AFC Divisional Round at Gillette Stadium. Brady passed for 299 yards and two TDs that afternoon, but he was sacked five times, hit on numerous other occasions and continually frustrated by the Jets’ coverage schemes as the Pats converted just five of 14 third downs in the Jets’ 28-21 win.

“That was last year and that’s behind us now,” DeVito said. “I think the confidence comes from what we’ve done this season thus far, what we put in during training camp, the work we put in and the guys we have on the field. That’s where our confidence comes from now and we’ll be ready to go.”

“I have a feeling that there were more than a few days in Foxboro spent — whether it was over the lockout or whether it was since the season started — preparing for our defense, knowing that we had success against them in the playoff game,” added defensive coordinator Mike Pettine. “Again it’s a challenge for us. We’ve got to make sure that we kind of forge ahead with some new things, but at the same time not get away from what’s been successful against them in the past.”

The Jets defense ranks No. 8 overall entering Week 5 and they played well in defeat last Sunday night in Baltimore. They held an improving Ravens offense to just 267 yards and 6-of-18 on third down while forcing three takeaways and scoring on a 35-yard David Harris interception return in the second quarter.

It was Harris’ first-quarter INT in January that set the tone against Brady and company. While the Pats will always have a strong pass attack with Brady slinging the rock, they’ve created some balance and currently rank No. 9 in rushing. In a Week 4 win over the Raiders, rookie Stevan Ridley (10-97) and BenJarvus Green-Ellis (16-75) combined for 26 attempts and 172 yards.

“It’s such a great offense. We’re going to have to go out there and be clicking on all cylinders,” DeVito said. “They’ve stepped up their run game. They still have Tom Brady and still have a lot of threats on offense. As a defense, man, we have to come out there and play Jets defense. We can’t have any lapses in this game because they’re too quick to take advantage of it.”

“They have a potential mismatch at virtually every position. Now add to it that they’re running the football,” Pettine said. “That’s a pretty good offensive line. Gronkowski has really stepped up and become one of the better tight ends in the league.”

If the Green & White elect to play small against the Pats by loading the field with DBs, the challenge will be to control the run game in sub packages. Brady won’t have to worry about longtime nemesis Shaun Ellis this time around as the Big Katt, who racked up two sacks of Brady in the winter playoff win, will be taking aim at Mark Sanchez.

“He is one of the big reasons I made the team,” an appreciative DeVito said of Ellis. “I could have come in here and he could have given me a hard time, but he didn’t. He took me under his wing and he helped me progress as a player. Coming in as a rookie, it’s intimidating and he helped me right off at the beginning. He is somebody I have a lot of love and respect for.”

Referring to Ellis as his “big brother,” DeVito will exchange pleasantries with him after this contest. The 6’3”, 305-pounder, an undrafted free agent out of Maine in his fifth season, attended Nauset Regional HS in North Eastham, Mass., and the matchup with the Pats holds a lot of weight in the standings and for his family.

“It’s huge. Everybody’s up there,” he said. “If we lose this game, it’s not just me who has to hear it — my dad has to hear it, my mom has to hear it. So it’s big for us as a family to go up there and win this game.”

Tags: , , , , ,
Posted in Eric Allen | 29 Comments »

29 Responses to “DeVito: Defense’s Confidence Remains High”

1. By uncle joe on Oct 7, 2011 | Reply

We needed a two game losing streak to get us to this game,one win rights the ship,,,ONE WIN,,,it’s gonna be 82 degrees Sunday, hope the neighbors have their ACs on cause Club De Setto’s gonna be LOUD BABY!!!!!!!!!

2. By joe-retired li/fla on Oct 7, 2011 | Reply

if we can just get the o line to play 100% better, we can win this game! i know it takes time, but we need it to happen now! i haven’t posted-in-while, but that doesn’t mean i don’t read everyones’ comment. i still feel embarrassed from last weeks offensive showing. hello to all of yous, randy & eric stilll doing a great job! hope i have better things after sundays game! j-e-t-s jets jets jets!

3. By Clarke W. Griswald on Oct 7, 2011 | Reply

It’s funny, even though they’ve been to two consecutive AFC Championships, they were still, very much re-building and it’s not just one year of rebuilding. Do you really think Rex was completely happy with all the players he was working with in ’09? He made no drastic changes and pumped up the team he had… and they performed to an elite level. I guess the point i’m trying to make is, this team is still kind of re-building. We’re not on our way down, just experiencing minor growing pains, while also experiencing small successes and triumphs along the way.

P.S. Fire Schottenheimer yesterday.

4. By Karan on Oct 7, 2011 | Reply

Brady never loses at home in the regular season, that’s what I’m worried about.

5. By superhumanjet on Oct 7, 2011 | Reply

He lost the last time we played there and it was huge. I have a quiet confidence about this team and think we have what it takes to win this game. Last week everyone said we got killed, and we did but if you look at it (I never complain about the officials) it was the worst officiated game I saw since the Steelers-Seahawks superbowl. Did you see that Ngata (on his sack fumble TD) was fined $15,000 for his helmet to the back of Sanchez. Should have been no TD and our ball 15 yards. Plus two roughing the kicker penalties not called and at least 6 holding penalties against the Ravens. If the officiating was straight up it would have been a different game.

6. By sports27 on Oct 7, 2011 | Reply

Carson Palmer get him J-E-T-S…….

7. By uncle joe on Oct 7, 2011 | Reply

Karan, along with not losing at home he also never really loses after a Bye or At Home,After a Bye in the Playoffs,that changed last year,didn’t it? You need not worry, we lose this game it’s only our first division game. We lost to Balt last year and we lost at NE last year. The pressure is on them,we win we are 1-0 Div,them 0-2 and they still have to come to Jet Life Stadium!

8. By wayne on Oct 7, 2011 | Reply

Saw that fine for Ngata comin. Thought he was gonna kill GQ…….Will be telling how GQ stands in there this weekend and face the rush……..They’re probably going to crowd the line as well and bring the kitchen sink……Until you prove you can stop it, DCs are going to keep coming at GQ…..THAT IS WHY RUN GAME HAS TO BE ESTABLISHED.

9. By mary on Oct 7, 2011 | Reply

the jets are going to win this game

10. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Oct 8, 2011 | Reply

Good point, Clarke, Rex was handed a team with some great vets (Woody, Jenkins) and some great young players (Mangold, Revis) and lots of question marks. And that’s why we have to start stockpiling draft choices like the Pats do because the future is often now in football, like when you get a rash of injuries and you haven’t developed enough young players to step in for them. Hey, uncle joe, I got an even better idea — let’s lose to NE this wk and then to SD, too, that should REALLY motivate us to win the division! Don’t be absurd, buddy, you gotta win every game and you can’t afford to write a single one off as a “learning experience.” Rex and Sanchez won’t get too many more seasons to learn if we’re gonna start lookin’ at it that way.

11. By Hans on Oct 8, 2011 | Reply

Remember Karan, anything happens on Any Given Sunday.

12. By Hideki on Oct 8, 2011 | Reply

I think rotating all the tailbacks is the way to go. McKnight needs to get some touches, we need to be less predictable; wildcat at strategic times might be good too, but it’s up to Schotty to find the right time. The main thing is, stick with the run game, but devise some creative blocking schemes.

13. By no one listens to Blinka on Oct 8, 2011 | Reply

I sure hope they don’t kill us.

I posted this before, but since I wrote it no one cares, anyone here still thinks they cheat? I think brady & the offense know what’s coming. Unless you think they strike luck twice at the same position with Brady the 8th round pick and Cassel the no pick non-starter? Can anybody share with me how Cassel doing in KC? Huh?

14. By Charliejet on Oct 8, 2011 | Reply

Rally round! You JETS- rally round! Beat them pattsies to the ground, Brady who? You may fear until we knock him on his rear. Rally round! You JETS rally round! Bring on back the ground and pound Rally round! You JETS rally round! Rally round! Nearer to my heart are you D – when I see Brady take a knee -nearer to my heart are you D – when I see the score fourteen to three Rally round you jets! Rally round!

15. By joeyjets12fla on Oct 8, 2011 | Reply

well karan this could be the week brady looes at home. now if schotty’s going to be predictable why not try passing on first down. short high perccentage and pick up the pace. not necessarily a 2 minute drill but lets complete the pas and get back to the line. by definition the short passing game picks up the pace. and please if the recievers would just complete there routes a yard deeper they’re moving the chains. it’s getting pathetic seeing a completed pass on 3rd down a yard short and out comes the putting team. i know it’s not quite this simple for an entire 60 minutes but they have to try something to get this thing rolling.

16. By Jimmer on Oct 8, 2011 | Reply

There really is one saving grace this week. Our OL shouldn’t look like they have the past 2 weeks. The Pats front 7 are nothing compared to the Raiders and Ravens. Mangold or not, they’re gonna look better. We can win every single game the rest of the year, and I’m still gonna be talking about improving the OL come draft time. I don’t even think I’ll bring up the other 2 issues prior to the last draft. If the OL don’t start playing better, we’re gonna need a QB as well.

17. By the real t.o. on Oct 8, 2011 | Reply

cromartie needs to be clean tomorrow. bradys gonna try and exploit him to get the flags he always gets in his favor….if im schottenheimer im worried about my job for sure…i heard clowney was predicting all of his offensive moves on twitter vs the ravens…thats sad if theres been nothing different about our offense since clowney was here. that speaks volumes about how our offense is just too predictable….if things dont change this week, schotty needs to be on the hot seat …..and btw wheres the hurryup offense been in the first half that the entire fanbase has been pestering you about from week one? thats when sanchex flourishes…not when its run between the tackles again…no play action…predictable vanilla offense

18. By Jimmer on Oct 8, 2011 | Reply

superhumanjet, We’re just getting all the wrong calls this year. All the illegal hits on Jets players are one thing. But the pass interference calls on Cro have been called out by TV announcers. I DVR everything, I watched at 1 frame a second, and Cro never even touched a WR, but he was called for holding.
    I don’t know what to tell you. We’re getting some very bad calls/non-calls.
    Hideki-McNight might deserve some touches, but he can’t protect Sanchez, LT is the only back we have that can protect him. But he has been stuck trying to block the entire defensive front.
    Mike T., please see if LT will sign an extension. If Green goes down, LT is the only guy we have that can be an every down back.

19. By Jimmer on Oct 8, 2011 | Reply

joeyjets12fla-Everybody is sitting on the short routes since our OL is so poor.
    We really need 2 TE sets with LT helping in pass protection. If our WR’s can’t get open, we might have overpaid for them.
    I say we go for the home run many times and back the defense off. If Holmes and Burress can’t get open in 5-6 seconds(we’d have 8 blocking for Sanchez), we might have the wrong WR’s.

20. By GaryC on Oct 8, 2011 | Reply

amazing things are happening this week, yankees lost, phillies lost,it might be time for a jet win.

21. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Oct 8, 2011 | Reply

Tales from the Absurd Goodell Era: A DL hits a QB hard enough and improperly enough to get a $15,000 fine later in the week but not to draw a flag that could’ve completely changed the outcome of the game? In the entire history of the NFL, we’ve never seen the possibility of this type of nonsense. joeyjets, thanks for speaking up about Sanchez’s weird habit of throwing these short passes on 3rd down that have little chance of moving the chains. It drives me crazy when I see that because (a) A 3rd-yr QB should know better (b) It makes me wonder if Schotty just doesn’t believe MS can execute on plays designed to get the 1st down, and (c) It makes me wonder just what Rex is doing on the sidelines at times like that other than running his mouth.

22. By scjoe on Oct 8, 2011 | Reply

I like the way sports27 thinks. Yes, Carson Palmer is out there doing absolutely nothing and what an upgrade that would be. But do you think in your wildest dreams that could ever happen? No! Why? P-O-L-I-T-I-C-S!!! On this occasion politics form both sides of the fence.

23. By scjoe on Oct 8, 2011 | Reply

64, I am going to go out on a limb here, and while out there listen to the abuse I will take for making this statement, but I will say it anyway. I am really beginning to wonder if Shotty/Rex just don’t have the confidence in MS that is needed to go down field on those 3rd and 8,9, and 10s. I wonder if they are just hoping for LT or someone on the receiving end of those dreaded 2 yard passes on 3rd and 9 to just follow their blockers or break out in to the open and get that 1st down, and if not just punt the ball away, rather then turning it over with the INT. If that is the case it is time for a change, either personal or philosophy.

24. By Clarke W. Griswald on Oct 8, 2011 | Reply

If Sanchez was in Atlanta he would be a pro bowler. Schottenheimer is killing my love for this sport. I watch to see if the pure talent of our offense, can overcome the ineptitude, of Shotty’s horrible play calling. I read on another web-site, a comparison of Shotty’s offense, to a prevent defense. There’s nothing attacking about there offense, every play Sanchez runs the clock down to the last second, trying to figure out the defense, instead of just going out there and attacking. It’s Shonn greene on a dive up the middle, gain of two, quick fade to which the corner jumps the route and Sanchez takes a sack, third and long, punt unit.

P.S. Fire Schottenheimer yesterday.

25. By Clarke W. Griswald on Oct 8, 2011 | Reply

Although I might be giving the Sanchize a little too much credit with the Pro Bowl comment. I say that because, everytime he throws a ball to the nearly 6’6, Plaxico Burres, he’s throwing for his ankles and it just drives me nuts.

P.S. Fire Schottenheimer yestrerday.

26. By joeyjets12fla on Oct 8, 2011 | Reply

jimmer, my point was throw on first down,even if they know it. it’s been run on first no gain, pass on 2nd and long,pass or run on third, punt, all year. everyone knows it,reguardless what the score or what part of the game we’re in. like i said if schotty’s going to be predictable fine but give them a chance.if you pick up 5 on first with a short pass and only 3 on second with a run then its 3rd and 2. and jetfan64 sanchez is not, is not calling those plays but he needs to let those recievers know when he needs 4 or 5 yards for a first they need to be catching them 4 and 5 yrds deep. i’m telling you a least 7 or 8 times this season they keep comming up short for about a yard on the reception to make the 1st and keep the chains moving.

27. By Row on Oct 8, 2011 | Reply

The defense this year is super soft. I have seen absolutely no pop at all in the secondary. Every time a RB or anyone gets past the LOS, it’s ”watch out” time. I just can’t believe the linebackers have underachieved as they have this year. We draft a run-stopper in Wilkerson, also an average to above pass rusher and nothing changes. Maybin has been a blessing every snap. I still want to see him at safety. I think he can just smash slot guys like Welker or any TE going over the middle. Leonhard’s name hasn’t been mentioned once. Where’s the accountability for the big plays that have destroyed the defense this year? Always has to be at the safety position. We need an anchor. Go Jets

28. By GaryC on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

love the move of eddie jones to the active roster,the guy showed well on special teams during preseason,with him and gilbert on active roster maybe we can have a continuance of this,YOUTH PREVAILS,it is the only way you win,OLD ONLY GETS OLDER AS THE SEASON GOES ALONG.

29. By GaryC on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

having Palmer on jets not bad idea but the one problem is Brown of the Bengals is a hardhead, and he would rather have Palmer sit,then him get his way out of cincinnati.