• Fri., Nov. 28, 2014 2:00 PM - 2:15 PM EST Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Fri., Nov. 28, 2014 3:30 PM EST Live Coordinators Press Conference Jets Special Teams Coordinator Thomas McGaughey, Offensive Coordinator Marty Mornhinweg and Defensive Coordinator Dennis Thurman will address the media.
  • Sat., Nov. 29, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Tue., Dec. 02, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Mon., Dec. 08, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Mon., Dec. 15, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Mon., Dec. 22, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Mon., Dec. 29, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

Jets Know Criticism Starts with ‘C’, Ends with ‘W’

Posted by Randy Lange on October 14, 2011 – 5:10 pm

The criticisms of the Jets have come over the course of their three-game losing streak, especially this week, and they are of course being heard. But it sounds as if all are publicly taking the critiques the right way, which is to say they know why people are upset, they’re working hard to turn things around and they know just how to do it.

“You can write or print or do whatever,” head coach Rex Ryan said at today’s news conference. “But hey, I’ve been here three years now. I know how it goes.

“When things don’t go right, there’s people who are going to pile on, whether it’s Schotty, Pettine, myself, the quarterback, whoever it is,” the coach said, referring to his two coordinators and Mark Sanchez. “That’s kind of human nature. I think you want your team to win so bad [and it doesn’t], it’s somebody’s fault.

“But that’s the beauty of sports. You’re going to get criticized when you don’t do well. You might even get a ‘Dumb and Dumber’ comment. That’s why you’ve got to get the skin of an armadillo. You don’t want those comments, win.”

Ryan was asked specifically about the fire his offensive coordinator is drawing and he stood squarely behind Brian Schottenheimer.

“Brian’s an excellent coach, I can tell  you that right now,” Ryan said. “He’s one of the hardest working guys I’ve ever been around. And we have confidence in all our coaches.”

“I’m always on the hot seat. I’ve been on the hot seat for six years,” Schottenheimer told reporters during his just-concluded weekly news briefing today. “It comes with the territory. I do the best I can. Our staff works our tails off. We have to be more consistent. When you’re not winning games, you’re going to take heat in the position I’m in.”

RB LaDainian Tomlinson seconded the emotions about his OC, saying the criticism is “unfair because Schotty is not the one that is out there throwing the ball, catching it, running it, blocking. He can’t do any of that. All he can do is game-plan for us and put us in the right position and hopefully we execute and make the plays.”

LT added that Schottenheimer knows “that’s part of the territory that he’s going to get blamed for a lot of stuff. I tell you what, the guy hasn’t blinked. He’s come to work every single day and he’s put together game plans, looked us square in the face, and taught us what I think needs to be taught at this time going forward.”

The critiques haven’t all come from outside the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center. As WR Santonio Holmes told reporters Thursday, “I may be criticized again for saying it, but I think it starts up front.”

Today, one of the big guys up front also seemed to consider Tone’s comments in the spirit in which they were intended.

“I take nothing personally,” said C Nick Mangold. “That’d be a quick way to blow your mind, you start taking things personally. I’ve been called a lot worse.” He added about Schotty’s offense:

“We convert a couple more times on third down, we extend drives, and that kind of all goes away. We’re all in this together and we all have to get better.”

The McKnight Factor

The Jets hope to tap into one of their biggest offensive weapons again on Monday night against the Dolphins and that is the kickoff-returning of Joe McKnight to set up the O with a short field, if not to take the ball all the way himself.

His 88-yard return, which helped the Jets to a 20-yard TD drive, was the centerpiece of his strong day of returning at New England. He catapulted into the NFL’s KOR-average leadership with a 45.6-yard mark on his nine returns and the Jets improved their league-leading average drive start after KO returns from the 27.1-yard line to the 27.5.

In fact, McKnight’s average got me to checking my NFL record book. I asked Joe this afternoon if he’d ever heard of Travis Williams. He hadn’t. I mentioned that Travis, a Packers rookie in 1967, set the league record for return average in a single season.

“What was his average?” Joe asked.

I replied, 41.1.

“And what’s mine?”

The aforementioned 45.6.

He liked that. But he’s well aware of the two-thirds of a season to play, teams kicking away from him or bouncing kicks, the potentially treacherous footing to come in December. He’s not getting ahead of himself. Still …

“It feels good,” he said. “It shows that I’ve got a great kickoff return team in front of me. I can’t do it by myself. That would be a good thing for all of us to be in the history books. Instead of my name, maybe they could put ‘the Jets’ kickoff return team.’ “

Injury Watch

For the Jets, two players remained not practicing today — DT Ropati Pitoitua and CB Isaiah Trufant. Ryan already said Trufant looks like an injury scratch for Monday night’s game, and today he said of Pitoitua, “I’m not real sure. Unless he’s really ready to go this week, that’s a physical team and we need to make sure he’s 100 percent. I’m not sure right now.”

However, CB Donald Strickland (concussion) moved up to limited participation in team drills today and Rex said he’s “actually been doing fantastic. He wasn’t limited through contact, no red jersey. We’ll have to see how it progresses.”

Nick Mangold moved up from DNP to limited and seems good to go for a second start since returning from his high ankle sprain. The eight other Jets on the I-list were all full participants.

The Dolphins’ report remains identical to Thursday’s listing.

Tags: , , , ,

30 Responses to “Jets Know Criticism Starts with ‘C’, Ends with ‘W’”

1. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Oct 14, 2011 | Reply

Schotty’s been on the hot seat for 6 yrs because he’s been mediocre at best, awful at worst. He’s the poster child for nepotism in the NFL, he belongs in the Arena League. I couldn’t care less what LT, who needs to make his impression on the field, says in his defense. As for Rex, he has no one to blame but himself for all this. For all his talk, he wasn’t “man enough” to hire his own OC on Day One and now he’s paying the price. He’s stuck in the corporate politics of the Jets, if he keeps this guy he may go down with him, if he fires him people might say “What took ya so long?” Friends in NY tell me the talk on sports radio is that unless we score a lot of pts vs the Fish, Schotty could be gone. If that’s true, I hope we win 3-0.

2. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Oct 14, 2011 | Reply

No, 2-0 would be even better, more likely to send Schotty packing.

3. By Pranit on Oct 14, 2011 | Reply

I think Santonio is right on the money…The OL line has been playing horrendous…And he is saying the right thing trying to fire up those guys…Just because Santonio got the big contract he doesn’t want to get complacent…He still wants to win…i really like that about Santonio…I am all for it…

Somebody needs to fire up this team…because they look dead on the field…totally unmotivated…come on man..season is slipping away !

4. By Clarke W. Griswald on Oct 14, 2011 | Reply

What Brandon Marshall really meant to say was, please throw me out of the game on Monday because i’m gonna be stranded on Revis Island and be of absolutely no use to anyone.

5. By GaryC on Oct 14, 2011 | Reply

time for Mangold to benchpress Holmes.

6. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Oct 14, 2011 | Reply

I’m with you, Pranit, but what I don’t get is why this complacency you talk about apparently wasn’t really addressed until this yr. Maybe last yr everyone was so dazzled by winning all those comeback games — about 5 of them because of mostly just Holmes, by the way — that nobody got too worried about no 1st half scoring, even though Arte was on the case about that in almost every one of his posts all last yr. It’s a little ridiculous that it took until the game vs JAX this yr for the coaches to confront the O with its inability to score in the first half. When it comes to the O, I think it’s Rex who’s the most complacent. But now he’s in the 2nd Act of his HC tenure on the Jets, when he finds out what he can do about unexpected problems.

7. By Jimmer on Oct 14, 2011 | Reply

All hail McKnight! We did draft someone worth a darn lately. Vlad might still work out, the Terminator might work out as well. But we’re reaching. We seem to get good value in the 4th round.
    Look at Indy. They lose a QB, and are the worst team in the league. Please, do not let that happen to the JETS.

8. By Tom Spicer on Oct 14, 2011 | Reply

Tom 64, I have the answer to that when Rex took over I read it was “recommended” by ownership that Rex keep Scohtty as OC, Callahan as O line coach, Westy as special teams coach & find a position on the D for Bob “our old DC & captain prevent defense” Sutton who everybody wanted out & is now a linebacker coach. It may have been a keep these 4 or your not our guy situation. Who knows?

9. By jetfan1 on Oct 14, 2011 | Reply

@Pranit Not so fast, Not yet!

10. By Karan on Oct 14, 2011 | Reply

Holmes comments are fragmenting the locker room apart. Brandon Moore was pretty offended. This stinks, last thing we need is a broken locker room, and its all because of losing and Tanny not doing enough in the offseason to get veteran back up OL. However, Holmes needs to stop talking before he gets benched, god I hope he’s not released or traded because of this, he’s our best offensive player.

11. By superhumanjet on Oct 14, 2011 | Reply

I think they should move schotty up tp the press box. He makes no adjustments during the game. Maybe if he is up higher he can see the field better and can call plays that actually work. Most off. and Def. coordinators work from the press box. The only ones who don’t are the duel Quarterbacks coaches. But we have a QB coach already’ I don’t understand.

12. By scjoe on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

64 & spicer, one of the reasons the Jets got away from the pass in the NE game, although you will not hear anyone admit to it, is the fact the O Line could not keep that feared # 32 ranked defense off the QB. I think it is safe to say MS will not be going to the pro bowl this year, but look at the alternative. Rex knows that. Thus, ground and punt.

13. By melbournematt on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

If the Jets know criticism starts with the letter “C” can they go the next step and listen to what the fans, media and even some of the analysts are pointing out. Schotty cannot play call to save his life. He does not know how to adjust during a game and continues to make calls that defy logic and yardage.

If the organization wants to get a second Lombardi trophy, fire Brian Schottenheimer and give the talent on our Offensive team a chance to actually make some plays down the field instead of running it up the middle on 3rd and long.

14. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

I will say, Pranit, that I don’t get why it’s apparently okay with Rex for SH to talk this way. (It’s like the president’s wife with “This is the first time I’ve ever really been proud of my country” — once might be a mistake or a moment of temporary insanity, twice means it’s premeditated.) Why is Rex’s response to say SH’s the most supportive guy on the team of his other players? How can it come to this? It all goes back to Rex’s refusal to remake the O when he came, his willingness to hand it all off to Schotty, of all people. I notice Ravens fans on the NFL site saying Rex didn’t get the BAL HC job because he didn’t show the ability to do more than coach the D. Wouldn’t surprise me considering how no-factor Rex has been re the Jets’ O.

15. By wayne on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

We didnt just start piling on about the OC. His playcalling is atrocious and when the heat gets put on, he calls a great game, then reverts. It’s mind numbing. I thought Mark came in with the wrong approach with the GQ thing and said so then.PERFORMANCE FIRST.PROVE YOU BELONG. Didn’t like the fact that the HC ran off at he mouth like a 20yr old and said so from the beginning. Personally, I root first for players, then the Jets. Use to be the other way but no longer….NO BLIND, YOU NEVER DO ANYTHING WRONG ALLEGIANCE…..My kid does something wrong, he knows there’s punishment coming. Doesn’t mean I don’t love. But punishment is coming….LOVE THE TEAM, GONNA CALL OUT THINGS I THINK ARE WRONG.

16. By wayne on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

Rex wants his players to speak their minds, Holmes is speaking his mind. But at the say time didn’t Mark say there won’t be anymore airing out of family business? Obviously Santonio didn’t get the memo……..What Holmes is saying is accurate and is football 101. No blocking, no glory……Don’t win up front, offense or defense, and game is lost. SO WHAT’S THE BIG DEAL?

17. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

Spicer, I get most of my info on the Jets from this site, the NFL site, the ESPN site, and the games. Which is to say that I don’t really read the New York newspapers except for now and then, mostly during the season. If what you’re saying about management dictating coaches to Rex is true, it would explain A LOT…including how half-hearted Rex sounds sometimes when defending Schotty. I still remember that shocking “joke” he made last year when he said, “I have the same faith I’ve always had in him — none.” It sounded like an abusive parent who knew he wasn’t supposed to dump on his own kid but couldn’t keep his real feelings from coming out. A bit chilling, actually, but be that as it may, he needs his own OC and we need a new one.

18. By Hans on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

Karan, again, we can’t afford to drop Holmes because it would be too much dead money in the salary cap.

19. By ArtSoCal on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

In the haphazard quest for excellence, some verbiage inevitably leaks out. What is the alternative; everybody buttons their lips and hopes that the GM and OC will do the right thing without being pushed? At least the executives are getting a slap in the teeth to wake them up. This game has been nothing more than a tax shelter for them.

20. By cartmanB on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

I’ve been saying this for 6 years now shotty stinks! This offense and team will go nowhere until he packs his bags and gets out of here. Mike martz would have this team scoring 30 points a game. When Brett Favre was here he didn’t know how to use him either. That’s why Brett didn’t wanna come back for another season or two. Shotty’s system is awful. I’ve never seen a coordinator who couldn’t get te ball in the hands of his recievers. Where is plaxico and dustin keller in this offense? That’s why cotchery left. He had enough! Mr t and rex need to man up and get to the root of the problem while there’s still a season left!

21. By ddh on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

the road to the superbowl is paved with very hard working people, but that doesn’t mean much in the end. If a player trains hard plays hard but cant get it done on game day, he knows he’ll be replaced, its business nothing personal, right ? Well its the same for coaches as well, the Jets have replaced just about everyone, and still the same issue remains,when compared to other successful offenses, the play calling leaves much to be desired. Yes ! they need to execute better, that cannot be denied, but over six years something just doesn’t add up and that cannot be denied as well. Perhaps giving play calling duties to someone else, as Shotty can be predictable.

22. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

Thanks for not drinking the Schotty Kool-Aid, cartmanB and ddh.

23. By bill on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

Rex thinks the Schotty criticism only occurs during losses? Clueless. Schotty has been getting bashed for years win or lose and rightly so. He has no business being an OC in the NFL. The Jets will never have a feared offense as long as he is here. They have been the weak link for his entire tenure regardless of personel or who the head coach is. Frankly the fact that he still has a job with the Jets after the horrible performance of the offense his entire time with the team, leads me to suspect there is some underlying (nonfootball) reason for him not being terminated. His father, or some other personal tie to the Johnsons perhaps.

24. By frank bronx on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

as jet fans we need to stand up n boo them monday night on national tv and let them see how unhappy we are

25. By george k on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

stop the bull talking and get back to jet football.all
    we need to do is execute on third down and guard that little dump pass by other teams that always seem to be break away yards and always comes back to doom us

26. By Eli Rodriguez on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

Spicer: you said-you read, where it was “recommended” that Rex keep Shotty.NOW, if YOU were hire on as the team coach and did your research on the team offensive track record-would YOU-have kept him. P.S. “recommended: doesn’t mean you have to- I think Rex wanted the job so bad, he blinded agree to that condition and now is time to pay the the piper.

27. By Ablity on Oct 17, 2011 | Reply

Say whatever you want but the biggest problem on this team is that we cannot stop the run. It’s as simple as that. It’s one thing no to be able to stop the run over the corse of a game, but in the fourth quather when you need to be able to slow down the running game and you still cant stop it, that is heartbreaking to me, considering the last two year, i have no worry about any running game beating us. Seriously, i rather get beat in the air than on the ground. The jets are getting bullied, beaten up front. It all fall on Rex. You score 21 point on the pats, a ground and pound offense should win that game, easy. This defense look soft and slow this year. SMH, i am really unhappy with the defense right now. But i love the jets, good luck TN

28. By since shea on Oct 17, 2011 | Reply

yes, play calling leaves much to be desired. But, who is responsible for TALENT EVALUATION? Who advises Mr. T that the likes of Vernon Gholston warrants first round selection? Ducasse? Muhammad Wilkerson (yes 1 safety), Kendrick Ellis (who has been inactive every game!) Bilal Powell? (also inactive) terminator? Finally…….if we knew Woody was retiring, why didnt we do something about it in the draft or free agency? What did we do to bolster the O line knowing this? Why did we pursue “hollywood” names like Asamugha when we needed pass rush and O line? Its way deeper than Schoty’s ineptitude.

29. By since shea on Oct 17, 2011 | Reply

Oh, and about talent evaluation? Who thought Sanchez was worth betting the house for? Can he throw downfield with accuracy? Is there confidence in Sanchez? Without OL protection though, I guess we will never know. Almost like Jason Garrett and Romo yesterday against the Pats. Garrett afraid of Romo throwing an INT so they play it safe, go three and out and give pretty boy Brady a shot to win it. And ofcourse, Tom is terrific.

30. By roger muller on Oct 19, 2011 | Reply

The Jets have got to get Plaxico Buress more touches because he’s got to take the heat off Santonio Holmes. Mark Sanchez has to take a chance and through to him three or four times consecutively. Idon’t think the Chargers will expect it. Of course that is my own personal opinioin for whatever its worth. Plax has still got it .