• Sat., Oct. 25, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Sun., Oct. 26, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EDT Live Jets Talk LIVE: Pregame Get your most compreshensive game preview as Jets Insiders Eric Allen and Amanda Pflugrad are joined by Vic Carucci of the Buffalo News. JTL kicks off at 11:30 a.m. from the Coaches Club at MetLife  Stadium.
  • Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Inside the Jets

• Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Extra Point - Only on SNY

• Wed., Oct. 29, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

• Thu., Oct. 30, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Sat., Nov. 01, 2014 3:00 PM - 3:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

Jets Return from Bye, Announce Transactions

Posted by Randy Lange on October 31, 2011 – 12:13 pm

Welcome back to newyorkjets.com following the Jets bye week. And for all those Green& White fans affected by the weekend snowstorm, welcome back from the Nightmare (Two Months) Before Christmas.

The snow has covered the grounds here at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center, but as usual Blake Hoerr and his fields & grounds crew did their immaculate job of snow removal from the outside FieldTurf field. It appears as if today’s welcome-back practice for the players will be an outdoor affair, complete with loudspeakers to get the Jets in the mood for the rejuvenated Ralph Wilson Stadium crowd that will be cheering on the 5-2 Bills when the Jets come calling this coming Sunday.

To help get the Jets ready, there are five new/old players on their active and practice squad rosters, as we tweeted a short while ago.

On the active roster is TE Shawn Nelson (6’5″, 240) who was Buffalo’s fourth-round pick in 2009 and played ’09 and ’10 for the Bills. He caught a touchdown pass in his first NFL game, in Buffalo’s ’09 opener at New England, but none since, and has 20 career catches for 181 yards

Nelson was waived by the Bills on Sept. 3 and got a workout from the Patriots in early September before the Jets worked him out last week. He’ll wear No. 83 for his new team.

The Jets also replenished their practice squad with the signings of four players. G Matt Kroul and T Dennis Landolt return to the P-squad, and also coming aboard are LB Ricky Sapp and TE Jamarko Simmons. Also, LB Eddie Jones was released from the practice squad.

Sapp (6’4″, 252) was a fifth-round pick by Philadelphia out of Clemson in 2010 who spent all that season on injured reserve with a knee injury.

Simmons (6’3″, 235), the all-time Western Michigan receptions leader as a WR, signed with Green Bay as an undrafted free agent after the 2009 draft, was waived before the start of the Packers’ ’09 training camp, and was a tryout at the Saints’ 2010 minicamp. He helped Marty Schottenheimer’s Virginia Destroyers win the UFL championship game on Oct. 21.

We’ll have reports from head coach Rex Ryan’s news conference and from the Jets locker room later this afternoon.

Tags: , , , ,

27 Responses to “Jets Return from Bye, Announce Transactions”

1. By IRA on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

Excellent p/u of Nelson and now they have finally replaced Cumberland for this season at least. They practiced three TE sets all summer and now they can go back to that if they choose to. Sapp is an interesting prospect and Kroul keeps on coming back. I think someday he will make the acitve roster and stick.
    As for the snow i have put back my snow brush in the trunk of my car and hope not to have to take it out for quite sometime. The only good thing the snow is for is to watch a football game period end of story. Hope to see one if we host a playoff game.Rest of the year you can keep it.

2. By wayne on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

Ira, bout the players I have no opinions, bout the snow, here, here…..I only hear women talking about how beautiful it is………As for football, it’s beginning to look interesting……I will keep my bags tucked away for a while longer, but I have no shame so if I have to, don’t mind being last guy to jump on board the bandwagon………………………………………..GQ has a date in 2 weeks he MUST ace, but for now on to face that team from NY…..

3. By TehJungleman on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

I sure hope Rex has a very good idea about how he is going to keep the Jets from catching the lackatacalitis that seems to have plagued teams coming off byes, including our illustrious friends from New England. Most of the teams coming from bye weeks have lost this season, Jets better not be one of them.

4. By GaryC on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

time to push the pedal to the medal,no more excuses,the bills are your first obstacle,to Jet fan tom,time for Burress to have a 6 to 7 catch game and 80 to 85 yards,isn’t it about time.And please not all of sanchez’s throws to him have to be perfect, he is a professional receiver,by the way did you see the Floyd catch over Cromartie,that was a receiver making a play,can Burress do that just once.Try getting McKnight and Kerley more involved,not to sure Greene is going to run like he did against the Chargers.WE REALLY WILL HAVE TO WATCH BRAD SMITH ON THOSE KICKOFFS,that is for you jet fan tom.

5. By Christopher on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

Don’t get too excted about this signing most reports say Nelson was signed for scouting and will most likely be cut next week.

Win the next 2 and the Jets will control their own fate in the AFC East (although technically they may still need a little help if NE beats the Giants, loses to us, and then runs the table).

6. By IRA on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

Wayne, You are always welcome on board and have a reserved seat on the bus. Forget about two weeks from now.If they don’t beat the Bills this week and 11/27 the Jets will be in BIG trouble trying to make the playoffs.Nobody seems to mention Cincy in WC mix and they should. They still have two games each left vs Pitt and Balt but as long as they keep playing D like they have and [#2] Dalton keeps playing the way he has they have to be added to the mix.
    Its going to be a crazy ending come 1/1/2012 for sure.

7. By Hans on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

IRA, I myself would like to see that as well, not only because it would bolster the running game, but because of the passing potential as well.

8. By Tim on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

***********(I like MARK SANCHEZ in the (4 Wide Receiver / SHOT GUN) set.

The (4 WR / SHOT GUN) set spreads out the DEFENSE and forces ONE on ONE match ups with the WRs. And you can run the (DRAW) from the it.

a (LOT) of the scoring in the SAN DIEGO game was made when MARK SANCHEZ was in the (4 Wide Receiver / SHOT GUN) set)********************************

9. By steven on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

I think Shawn Nelson can hold his own. He is built like Antonio Gates at 6’5 and can run a 4.6 forty. Sanchez has no excuse now hitting the first down markers or the red zone with Keller, Burress, Nelson and Mulligan all being tall targets around the 6’5′ height. If they catch the balls Sanchez might even learn to be like a Dan Marino and move da chains. What do you guys think?

10. By steven on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

PS. Do you think Ricky Sapp will fulfill the potential as a speed pass rusher that everybody predicted when he was being drafted?

11. By Jetto on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

Shawn Nelson is really big and fast and it looks like wide receiver Eron Riley could be a good pickup being 6′ 3 and having run as fast as a 4.28 forty. Jets are getting bigger and faster and this is good. Hope to see Eron Riley get a chance to air it out.

12. By Tom Spicer on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

We have to win 3 out of the next 4 or it is over.

13. By scjoe on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

What a huge surprise, the Jets pick up a TE from Buffalo. Who are they playing again this week?? I hate to play the skeptic, but if all of these reports I read here about Nelson are even close to being true, why is he available? I believe he is here for a quick beer and gone within a week after the Bills game.

14. By scjoe on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

Ira, my son is a huge Bengal fan and he never lets me forget the Bengals are in the hunt for the long term. I happen to think he is right, there is a nice balance on that team and barring any major injuries I see them in the mix. I also think the Palmer trade will turn out to be the steal of the year.

15. By Another Tom on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

I sure hope that Nelson is here for more than just a cup of coffee. Quality TE depth is a big concern for us…HUGE game for Maybin this week..should be a fun and competitive game

16. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

Yeah, GaryC, him and his 21-yd average…

17. By Karan on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

I like the signing the Shawn Nelson. I hope he’s not cut because I think the Jets just signed him like they signed Andrew Sandejo before the Cowboys game and was released like 2 days later. Obviously, Nelson has been signed for an insight to the Bills playbook, however, it would be nice to see the Jets keep him, hopefully he’ll be a good replacement for Jeff Cumberland, blast those ACL tears!

18. By sal on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

So who will be on the out Capt Holmes, or the come back Kid/man Burris. Plax has done well after being in a box for over a year, he has personality,. They needed another tall guy, Sanchez at times cant hit the broad side of a barn, I was hoping for Moss or Owens, but who needs the potential drama they seem to have that covered, we will see how he stacks up, I think well if groomed, should be a good reciver.. Sapp I think is going to big! Maybe they make up for the one they let get away..PS I want to post my list of who got away,one day, but things happen for a reason, no need cursing everyones career!

19. By ghareeb on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

can we sign leigh bodden?

20. By JetJones on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

@ scjoe I wouldnt call trading two first rounders for a decent at best 31 year old QB a steal. Dont get me wrong Carson Palmer is a good QB but at the price the Raiders paid they better make a run for they AFC Championship game within the next couple of years which I dont see them doing considering the Chiefs being the best to in the AFC West. (personal opinion)

Shawn Neslon is a low risk high reward guy just like almost every other guy we acquired within the past couple of years at 6’5 you cant pass up on that size. Is itt me or is it that everyone plays better once they leave Buffalo?!

21. By GaryC on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

really, what are these guys really going to do for you, Sapp was a outside pass rusher at Clemson who hasn’t done anything yet, people talk about the size of Nelson, I used to hear the same thing about Wes Lyons too,he was going to be the next Harold Carmichael,Your have way into the season, if you think these guys are playing a big part your crazy.

22. By Karan on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

I think now we have enough depth at the offense, the signing of Shawn Nelson gives us good depth now at TE, hopefully we keep him. The only depth at offense that should be a concern in the O-line. Don’t get me wrong, O-line is playing pretty good, but the back-ups, depth is not good enough. We have a rookie, Ducasse is awful, Turners on IR and Baxter who I thought was a good back-up recently got picked up by the Chargers. I would sign Rich Seubert or Shaun O’ Hara as assurance, especially beofre someone signs them.

23. By GaryC on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

Here we go again with the O’hara and seubert possibilities for the jets, If these guys haven’t been signed yet do you possibly think there careers might be over.We love to mix the blues with the greens,gotta love it.

24. By scjoe on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

JetJones, I was referring to the Bengals getting the steal, not the Raiders. It will be a win-win for them whether the Raiders win the division (a second #1) or if they finish dead last (a higher #1 in 2012) that is what I meant by the steal. I think Palmer is a “good” QB not an elite one.

25. By Tom Spicer on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

JetJones, The way I read it he is saying that the Bengals got the steal.

26. By Christopher on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

The Palmer trade, if Cincy hits with their picks could make the AFC North the toughest division in football. Not to mention that Cleveland is loaded with picks as well (although they need to learn to draft better, reminds me of another team I know).

Unrelated, looking back at that 2010 draft, Wilson has really picked up and McKnight has shown real potential that we all thought for sure was a bust. However, I still wish the Jets had traded up with the Lions and got Suh. It probably would have cost us our 2011 first round pick as well, but even today would you trade Wilson and Wilkerson for Suh? I watched that guy in college and knew he would be a beast, one can dream I guess, but I would have made the trade in a heartbeat.

27. By Gregory Beaumont on Nov 3, 2011 | Reply

Let’s look alive out there. Throw the ball down the field to Burress & Holmes.

And let’s try some trick plays for a change!!

Forget the ground and pound conservative football, which has repeatedly proven to be a disaster.

Play for real and win.