Lankster Ready to Take on His Old Team As Well

Posted by Randy Lange on November 4, 2011 – 2:32 pm

The way the week’s hype has gone, you might think Aaron Maybin had been traded for Brad Smith and those two are the only ones playing against their former teams in Sunday’s Jets-Bills matchup.

But the Jets have two other former Bills on the roster, and one who’s been contributing on special teams the past two games, in Ellis Lankster.

“At Ralph Wilson Stadium, the Bills have a great crowd, a great situation,” Lankster told me today. “I enjoyed my time there but now I’m a Jet all the way and I’m ready to get at Buffalo.”

Lankster began his NFL career as the Bills’ seventh-round selection in 2009 and played in 10 games that season with three tackles and a pass defense. He was a final cut by Buffalo last year and filled his 2010 season by signing on with the CFL’s Hamilton Tiger-Cats. He came to the Jets as a reserve-future signing in January, then was a final cut again this September.

But the coaches and the front office didn’t forget Lankster’s major preseason contribution, the 67-yard interception-return TD in the summer finale against the Eagles. He was re-signed Oct. 11 and played against the Patriots and Dolphins, contributing four special teams tackles in those two games.

With Isaiah Trufant (hamstring) missing time (Trufant is questionable for Sunday), Lankster has also been getting time as a flyer in the Jets’ vise, and if he gets to reprise that role again vs. the Bills, he’ll be going up against an old friend.

“I’ll get to go up against Leodis McKelvin,” he said. “He was a good friend when I was there. In training camp, me and Leodis, our rooms were right across from each other. I used to take pointers from him and [safety] George Wilson all the time.”

Now he’ll be trying to wire McKelvin along with his vise partner so that Jeremy Kerley can shake and bake on a punt return or three up at Ralph Wilson.

The two other ex-Bills on the Jets are Maybin, whom I visited with today in the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center locker room and will write about in my Sunday morning advance on the game, and TE Shawn Nelson, who will be profiled in a story by Andrew LeRay later this afternoon. Head coach Rex Ryan said Nelson is not yet ready to suit up and won’t play against the Bills, whom he played for in 2009 and last year.

Injury Update

The Jets’ four players who had been limited in team drills at Thursday’s practice were limited again today and all four are listed as questionable for the Bills.

Regarding WR Plaxico Burress (low back), Rex Ryan said at today’s news conference, “The thing with Plax is that he’s sore. … You think he’ll be fine but sometimes those backs are troublesome. So hopefully he’s feeling good when we play on Sunday.”

It’s a similar view for both D-linemen on the list, Mike DeVito (knee) and Kenrick Ellis (ankle).

“I don’t feel great about it right now,” Ryan said. “If we were going to play tomorrow, I would say probably not. This one could really be a gametime decision for both those guys.”

The five other injured Jets all practiced full and are probable for the Bills: LB David Harris, DT Marcus Dixon, C Nick Mangold, LB Calvin Pace and DE Ropati Pitoitua.

For the Bills, DT Kyle Williams (foot), T Demetrius Bell (shoulder) and CB Aaron Williams (chest) have been listed as out by coach Chan Gailey. LB Chris Kelsay (calf) and T Chris Hairston (ankle) are questionable. And QB Ryan Fitzpatrick, with his reported chest bruise, WR Donald Jones (ankle) and G Andy Levitre (shoulder) and RB Johnny White (illness) are all probable.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

14 Responses to “Lankster Ready to Take on His Old Team As Well”

1. By wayne on Nov 4, 2011 | Reply

Karan, not quite sure why you’re offended by the moniker GQ. I’m guessing that if the QB was to know he was called that he wouldn’t take offense. He loves the mag far too much……………………………It is a term of endearment, not one of derision………………………..In fact I was called that once or twice bout 30yrs ago.Sans the layout…………..JUST WIN GQ. JUST WIN.

2. By Karan on Nov 4, 2011 | Reply

This is going to be a great game, lets go GANG GREEN!

3. By IRA on Nov 4, 2011 | Reply

Randy,
    ST’s could be the difference this week up in Orchard Park and i think the Jets have the advantage because of Westhoff. The Jets are so overdue for a punt return for a TD maybe this will be the week.
    GO JETS!!!!

4. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Nov 4, 2011 | Reply

While you’re at it, Ira, make sure you hope that if Kerley returns a punt 50 yds or so — or if Maybin forces a fumble — Sanchez doesn’t just throw an ill-advised pass into heavy coverage for a pick on the very next play. Forget GQ, some days his nickname should be Mark the Momentum Killer.

5. By GaryC on Nov 4, 2011 | Reply

Randy,anyway we can blackout the colts game here so they can feed the jet game.even the colt fans could care less about this game.

6. By cgb on Nov 4, 2011 | Reply

jet fan since 64 tom, well youv’e been a jet fan since i was 2 . I’m pretty old i guess that makes you almost over the hill. give sanchize a break, stop with the negative vibes. it will be buffalo turning the ball over this week, not the jets or mark S.

7. By Karan on Nov 5, 2011 | Reply

I thought just it sounded a little far-fetched by now or just a tad bit disrespectful, people like to be called by their names I suppose, but hey that’s just my opinion and you stated you didn’t mean to mock him by it, so all is alright.

8. By Jet4Life on Nov 5, 2011 | Reply

Lets go Jets time to get the O up and runnin..Lets go D lets stop the run……

9. By Danny on Nov 5, 2011 | Reply

How bout when MS throws a 4th Q TD pass to Santonio to win the game Tom 64 ?? U never mention any of those. How can you just keep ripping MS when you been a fan since 64 and we finally have a young QB who knows how to win ?? In my opinion he’s the best QB we ever had. Since ur a fan since 64 man you should be saying the same thing and appreciate we don’t have another horrible QB like we have always had in the past. Did MS kick the ball to the other team on Kick return in Oakland ?? Did MS not block Ed Reed on 1st sack and fumble for TD in Ravens game ?? Did MS let DMC gash us in same game ?? Did MS let Green-ellis gash us in NE game ?? It makes me sick how u keep bashing our 24yr old still learning QB

10. By Danny on Nov 5, 2011 | Reply

How about huge throw down the sideline to Braylon Edwards in Colts playoff game last yr to set up game winning FG ? How bout 4th Q comeback against Houston last yr ? How about 4th Q comeback against Cleveland last yr ? For being a jets fan for so long appreciate we got a young QB who can step up in big games for us and has a bright future. It was such a joke you were suggesting Mcelroy should compete for his job when Mcelroy never took a real NFL snap and MS has 4 playoff wins in 2 NFL seasons. To me that just pathetic talk. If you know football so well then you wouldn’t even make a comment like that. MS will never be Peyton Manning but don’t need to be. He just gotta keep winning and that all u can ask for

11. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Nov 5, 2011 | Reply

cgb and Danny, read the post a few stories ahead on what Jenkins said on The Fan about the Jets coddling Sanchez too much. Then try getting your facts straight. I never said McElroy should compete with MS for the job now, I said MS has a 5-yr deal and 4-yrs in I need to have a good idea of whether or not to keep him, not to be saying that he’s “still learning.” To “step up in big games” you need to get to the big games, so let’s see if that happens this yr. Man, I’m glad you guys don’t run any business I’m part of, being so casual about a $50 mil investment! And while I sure wish I was younger, I don’t go out with women any older than about Plax’s age, so I’m hanging in there. Worry about how MS is grading out, not how I’m grading out!

12. By cgb on Nov 5, 2011 | Reply

jet fan tom, danny does make some good points concerning MS and i do agree with him. I also understand your concern with mark S. all good qb at some point in their careers will struggle. so i dont find his inconsistency to alarming. put a better team around him ,and he will play better. and he has made it to big playoff games and has played well, thats better then most young qb’s. MS payroll is about 50 mil./ 5yrs, but he is barely 3yrs into his contract and has been to 2 afc championship games.thats good tom.

13. By Danny on Nov 5, 2011 | Reply

MS has 4 playoff wins in 2 NFL seasons so I would say so far that investment looks like it’s a good one. What other jets QB in history has 4 road playoff wins ? I’m glad i don’t run a business with you because you will never let a business grow you will keep pulling the plug way to early. Like i said who in Jets history has been more impressive then MS ?? Who in NFL history had 4 road playoff wins by 24 yrs old ???? Also Your worrying about keeping him after 5 yr deal when were in yr 3 and the kid has exceeded expectations so far. The day we drafted him did anyone expect him to win 4 road playoff games in 1st 2 seasons ?? I doubt anyone did

14. By Danny on Nov 5, 2011 | Reply

Danny Marino is one of the greatest QB’s of all time and he got no SB rings. Why is that ??? He didn’t have the team around him to win one. It takes a whole team to win a SB not just a QB. If our line keeps improving, our running game opens up and our D gets back to form we will have a shot. The whole team needs to perform and anything can happen. So far MS has gotten more done then any other Jets QB except for Nameth in NY Jets history. I’m sorry but ur wrong to keep bashing the kid. Worry about our pass rush and say we need a pure pass rusher and back off Mark a lil man. That’s all. You spend all ur time ripping this kid up like he’s playing like Tim Tebow. As chris Carter says “Cmonnnn Mannnnn”