• Wed., Jul. 30, 2014 12:15 PM - 12:45 PM EDT Live Jets Talk LIVE Jets Insider Eric Allen will report from Training Camp practice with guests Willie Colon and Rex Ryan
  • Wed., Jul. 30, 2014 1:15 PM - 1:45 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will adress the media following Training Camp practice
  • Sun., Aug. 03, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Inside Camp

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Mon., Aug. 04, 2014 6:00 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation: Inside Camp An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel.
  • Wed., Aug. 06, 2014 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation: Inside Camp An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel.
  • Thu., Aug. 07, 2014 4:00 PM - 5:00 PM EDT SNY's Jets Nation: Inside Camp An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel.
  • Sun., Aug. 10, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Inside Camp

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Mon., Aug. 11, 2014 6:00 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation: Inside Camp An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel
  • Wed., Aug. 13, 2014 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation: Inside Camp

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sat., Aug. 16, 2014 5:00 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation: Inside Camp

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

Four Jets Take Away PFW Midseason Honors

Posted by Randy Lange on November 8, 2011 – 5:29 pm

Pro Football Weekly, a publication that I always enjoyed reading when I was a beatwriter covering the Jets from 1994-2006, today announced its Midseason All-Pro Team, and it’s perhaps a pleasant surprise that PFW found room for four Jets on its first team.

Darrelle Revis was a lead-pipe cinch. Revis, tied for third in the NFL with four interceptions and leading all interceptors with 184 return yards, was the Green & White’s only unanimous selection by the magazine’s editors.

Revis was joined on the defensive team by ILB David Harris and DT Sione Pouha. And Joe McKnight was chosen as PFW’s kickoff returner.

A note on the all-star list: The magazine, with a nod toward the number of teams playing 3-4 alignments this year, selected four linemen, four linebackers and four DBs on its 12-man defense. PFW made cornerback an All-MetLife affair, pairing up Revis with Corey Webster of the Giants. Harris gets a nice nod at inside linebacker along with the 49ers’ NaVorro Bowman. And Pouha squeezes onto the line at DT alongside the Ravens’ estimable Haloti Ngata.

The story on the Midseason All-Pro Team can be found in the current edition of Pro Football Weekly, now available on newsstands. And additional midseason content, including power rankings, can be found at ProFootballWeekly.com.

As far as I know, none of these guys gets any trophies, cut crystal or contract bonuses for reaching PFW’s halfway-point all-star team. But it’s some nice recognition nevertheless for all.

The three defenders, who were so honored not only for their general play but because of their takeaway plays.

The Green & White’s rankings are slowing improving into their usual top-10 surroundings (eighth in total yards allowed, seventh in passing yards allowed, tied for eighth in points allowed).

But they’re among the league’s top-ranked teams in takeaways. Their 19 takes are tied for second (one behind, coincidentally, Buffalo’s 20 after the Bills lost the takeaway battle to the Jets, 3-2).

Revis’ four interceptions leads the Jets defense, which now has 13 picks after eight games, one more than the Jets had all of last season.

One of those thefts was turned in by Harris on the stretching tipped-ball-to-himself off of Ryan Fitzpatrick late in the first half of Sunday’s win at Buffalo. I asked “the Hitman” after the Bills game if he’s turning into the NFL’s next great LB interceptor.

“I can’t say all that,” he said modestly. “I just saw the ball and tried to make a play on it.”

He did that expertly, and in addition to his tackling skills, he’s become something of a pass thief. He now has five career INTs, all in the last three seasons, and Sunday’s pick goes along with his INT-return TD that just for a second threatened to help the Jets turn their Sunday night affair against the Ravens into a close ballgame, which followed his theft of Tom Brady in last January’s playoff triumph in Foxboro.

Pouha, meanwhile, keeps growing in stature. He applied a crushing hit on Fred Jackson that forced a third-quarter fumble that Jim Leonhard took to the Bills 19. Shortly after, LaDainian Tomlinson vaulted into the end zone and the Jets had their 13-0 lead.

“Fred is the center of their offense. If you can affect their offense, that helps give you an edge,” Pouha said. “He wasn’t the same after that.”

Certainly not on his next four carries, on which he gained 6 yards. Jackson did shake off the effects of the hit to finish with 120 yards from scrimmage, but still, 58 of those yards came after the Jets had taken a 20-3 lead and Big Bo was one of the point men in the Stop Fred movement.

And Pouha’s on a fumble roll the past two seasons with his Sunday force and five other fumble recoveries — four coming in primetime. Just in time for the Patriots at home on Sunday night.

And lest we forget about McKnight, he continues to lead the NFL with his 40.2-yard kickoff return average. Just think: Joe’s average return is almost the equivalent of the Jets being recipients of a kickoff out of bounds every time the opponents kick off.

Tags: , , , , , ,

43 Responses to “Four Jets Take Away PFW Midseason Honors”

1. By 10and6jets on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

Harris has really improved in pass defense. That is crucial for this defense.

2. By GaryC on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

strange choice of Sione because jet run defense has been suspect most of the year and he doesn’t rush the passer that well.I guess it is the theory if you don’t make it the year you should you will be rewarded the following year.

3. By scjoe on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

Ira, if you are that sold on Shotty as an OC and MS as a QB who can get you to the next level, tell me in your own words, “exactly what is wrong with this offense?” And believe me, when your offense starts off dramatically slow in almost 90% of your games for more then two full seasons there is definitely something wrong.Factor in some of the talent on that unit (SH, DK, PB, LT, Brick,Mangold, even Moore and Greene) then give me your answer.

4. By Paul White on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

Great job team. Please work hard this next sunday and beat those Patriots. I will be at the game cheering you on. Good luck Paul

5. By Ray on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

First congrats to these four guys, they deserve it. Read most of the posts from the game. Jimmer sorry but if you have a DVR and taped that game go back and look again… there is NO WAY that pick in the end zone is on Keller. What ever Mark saw it wasn’t there. That was not a slow start, we went on a 15 play drive, but the qb killed it with that pick. Sorry Spicer, but MS played an excellent game, with the exception of those two mistakes. But that pick is UNACCEPTABLE from a 3rd year qb. Those kind of throws are unacceptable in COLLEGE much less the NFL. And he has done it three times now.

6. By Ray on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

BTW how telling was it that with 40 seconds left in the half and the ball all the way out on the 40 yd line we took a knee and ran out the clock rather than try to get a score before halftime? Clearly Rex had seen enough and didn’t want to give Mark a chance to give away the lead heading into the lockerroom.
    Despite my rants I think Mark is still a very capable qb, but he has to take care of the ball and make better decisions
    I am starting to like what appears to be some nice chemistry developing between Mark and Plax. I was missing BE early in the year, but the rust appears to be coming off and I hope this is a sign of things to come and only gets better…

7. By IRA on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

Randy, I thought they would get about 24 or so picks this year and they are well on their way towards that number. No shock to me those for players are well deserving of the honor. While Revis is a no brainer and McKnight return skills are no surprise Pouha is the guy i am really happy for. While Jenkins was the guy everybody talked about the past few years Pouha stepped in both years after Jenkins went down and played at a very high level. This year he has taken that to another level and is finally getting the respect he deserves.
    Congrats to all and keep up the great play.
    GO JETS!!!!

8. By uncle joe on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

No Man Gold ??? Hey, I love the leader that LT has turned into for this team. He has embraced his role and has been Lights Out Clutch for us. Would love to see this season end much like Pitt with a young Rothlesberger getting the Bus his ring right before he retired.

9. By uncle joe on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

Getting way ahead of myself but, our D held the Packers offense to NINE points last year,,,just saying!

10. By IRA on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

scjoe,
    There was nothing wrong with the offense this past week right? I said it right from the summer they were making a mistake trying to air it out and getting away from their bread and butter running the ball. Mark needs a running game to make his passing game effective. He is not just going to come out in games and fling the ball all over. He is still to young and not ready for that yet except for when the games are on the line with no time where he seems to thrive.
    Why they can’t score in the 1st qt of games? I can’t answer that and the coaches seem to be having trouble with it too. Hope last weeks opening drive was a start and they will score the next time they open a game with a drive like that.

11. By GaryC on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

Uncle Joe,last year the packers were without Finley, their super tightend,and we all know the problems jets have covering those,Also their right tackle Bulager was still a rookie learning the ropes and Rodgers is playing as good as any qb ever,Methinks the jets would have a problem holding them to nine,but that said it would be interesting if they met in super bowl.

12. By 38 year fan on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

LT is the emotional leader …he should speak before the kickoff . That stadium is going to be rocking like never before . I see lots of mistakes from brady . false starts . miss cues . Brady is not going to like all the positive energy in that stadium….

13. By wayne on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

Ira, there was something wrong with the offense last week…..Most of us have watched enough games where, that type of game turns on a big mistake made by the team that held field, time and yard advantage all game and not take advantage of it by scoring. One big play by trailing team or big mistake by the team that held all the advantages early and you have a complete reversal of fortune…….GQ was horrible in the first half of the BUF game and that TD catch by Holmes was all Holmes…….Thanks to his defense, the QB, gets to look good……AGAIN……….The outcome doesn’t change the facts.

14. By GaryC on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

I believe it was Dale Carnegie who said I never met a man I didn’t like,Ira I believe never met a jet he didn’t praise,that’s cool, he’s a fan,but if I check out the old archives and he said that Kotite got a raw deal that will be carrying it to far.

15. By scjoe on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

Ira, we have to agree to disagree. First, in answer to your question was there something wrong with the offense last week? Yes, it was the same it has been for the better part of three seasons now, they can not score points in the first half. Your comment that even the coaches can’t answer the question why is not exactly a ringing endorsement of them. If they can not answer the question why, especially at this point in time there is something wrong, my point exactly. As for the running game being their “bread and butter?” I strongly disagree . The bread and butter, based on the talent level “should be” in their WRs. But that is directly connected to my second point, the QB. A change of philosophy is in order.

16. By uncle joe on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

JetLife Stadium

17. By Gabriel on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

Uncle joe you are correct about the holding the packers to nine points.. just saying! Despite a rough start by the O and D I have been very pleased with our progress so far at the halfway point. Like I said they Jets will get better as the season goes on and by december they will be in prime time form. I am Glad David Harris is getting some honors, he deserves to go to the pro bowl, he reminds me of Mo Lewis. This Jets team deserves a superbowl and they gotta earn it. I am bery happy with Rex Ryan and I can’t wait for that super bowl trophy back home! Go Jets!

18. By scjoe on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

Like to clarify my position to the MS worshipers. Are their worse options at that position? Absolutely. But in looking at the big picture, after starting and playing in more then 50 NFL games (pre season, reg season, post season) and although there appears to be some improvement in some of his “stats” I just don’t see the improvement in the more critical parts of his game, those that don’t necessarily show up on NFL.com, like decision making, reading defenses, getting to the second and third reads, and of course accuracy, consistent accuracy! If you can’t lead that WR in such a way to maximize his YAC consistently you are not getting the most out of him, although it will not show up in the stat page. Stats just don’t tell it all.

19. By scjoe on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

to continue, there are just to many “experts” some being ex players, coaches, GMs, sports writers, etc. etc. Who happen to feel exactly the same way I do. Can they all be that far off base? I don’t mean to offend MS. I certainly don’t mean to offend any of his most die hard followers either. I am just stating it as I see it through my eyes.

20. By 38 year fan on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

Randy , what do you think the decible level will be ( in our stadium ) this week ? a) loud b) extra loud , or c) deafening …

21. By Randy Lange on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

38 year, how about 140 decibels? That’s the volume level of a Jet engine at 100 feet.

22. By Tom Spicer on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

Wayne, You are truly out of your mind. This is your quote “GQ was horrible in the first half of the BUF game” He was 5 of 6 in the 1st quarter & 14 of 16 at half time. How the HELL is that horrible? If 14 out of 16 is horrible Do you have to go 16 for 16 to be good?

23. By Gregg from CA on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

GaryC: You’re thinking of Will Rogers. Dale Carnegie was too busy worrying about what people thought about HIM to ever actually feel anything about anyone else. *smirk*

24. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

scjoe, Ray, GaryC, and Ira, good to see this in-depth discussion of Sanchez instead of mere praise or scorn. I’ll contribute as follows: First of all, let’s kill this myth of “The Mistake of Airing It Out” right away. We couldn’t air it out because Sanchez couldn’t make the throws and the OL couldn’t protect him long enough to do so, not because there was anything inherently wrong in the approach. Everyone on this site knows that if Holmes was traded tomorrow to half the teams in the NFL, he’d start catching long TDs and avg 16-18 yds per catch. He’s not doing it here because of the QB and the coaches who, as scjoe says, have had 50 games to get up to speed. An inept 1st-half O for yrs is not normal and good pt on the 40 seconds, Ray.

25. By GaryC on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

Gregg from CA,you are right,right after I posted it I said,no that doesn’t sound right then Will Rogers came to my mind,thanks for keeping me on the ball.

26. By GaryC on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

I need to put my two cents on this Sanchez debate,Everything at USC was so easy because of the talent discrepancy they had over most teams,It was too easy in most cases,he comes to the nfl and it is a different ballgame,maybe the confidence level will never be what it was in college and the gameplans that shotty presents him he feels uncomfortable with.Remember Leinhart never has looked as good once he left USC.Stop changing receivers every year then you will get a true test of his ability and if he will succeed.

27. By Jimmer on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

Pouha made the list??? I must be looking elsewhere sometimes. Good for him, I think he’s a good player, but didn’t think he’d be getting the recognition he’s getting. I wonder if mngmt knew about this on Sunday and had him go to the postgame podium.

28. By Jimmer on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

Ray, my point on the Keller thing was he had no idea where the ball was. The Holmes TD was a wr aware of the wb/ball. If holmes didn’t look for the ball, it might have been another INT.

29. By Jimmer on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

Ray, again about turnovers. Rex just saw the ball get turned over 3x. With 40 seconds, just go into halftime. What led to running the clock out was Abbott & Costello Vs. Laurel & Hardy. I totally agreed with taking the knee.

30. By Jimmer on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

Uncle Joe, like with Thomas Jones, he’s gonna be gone. LT really is the soul of this team, but that wasn’t enough to keep TJ around. But, I agree, we probably would have beat the Packers in the SB.
    38, watching Brady flip out on the bench was priceless.
    64 Tom, I totally agree, we couldn’t air it out, cause MS was being killed.Our OL can run-block when they concentrate on it, pass-blocking is just not in the same realm.
    GaryC, every QB faces distinct changes coming to the NFL. Trust me, MS is good enough to win multiple SB’s. He gets glamour cause he’s a good looking guy(I guess), but he is not a sissy, even though he flinched last week.

31. By Gregg from CA on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

GaryC, why stop with Leinart? Has Carson Palmer (an admitted Mark Sanchez idol) consistently lived up to his potential? Reggie Bush? Somebody made a comment weeks back that it wasn’t fair to compare McElroy with Sanchez because Alabama had a lot of high draft picks come off their O-line, but isn’t that what you WANT your QB to be comfortable with? It’s the guys that get happy feet and scramble too early that usually have issues in the NFL, even though it may have worked for them in college. The concept of “get rid of the ball quickly” doesn’t come into question when you’re handing off, thus the running game works well for Mark. (cont)

32. By Gregg from CA on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

(cont) BUT… the balance between standing in there and finding your reads, keeping that timer going in your head and making the reads quickly, and not rushing the timing patterns (slants and outs) is what comes from trust in your line. It seems that at the beginning of the game, Mark is thinking “Throw it quick”, and he fires those slants and outs before the receiver is ready, often being behind the receiver because he’s throwing it AT them and not leading them. Then once he gets comfortable, they start to work. We’re talking about fractions of a second here at the speed these guys move, so nobody should think it’s easy, but once you’re qualified to do the job, you need to DO it – consistently.

33. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

Good points, GaryC…though the reference to Leinart is more than a little chilling…

34. By Tom Spicer on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

Gary C, That also has been 1 of my points you can not change WR’S every year especially with a young QB. 1st year Cothcery & Stuckey THE WORST starting WR core in the entire NFL & its not even close (we gave him a great chance to do well that year) 2nd Braylon & Cotchery than after a quarter of the season you have to work in Holmes. (Why the hell do you think we got him so cheap) Not easy for a 2nd year QB who came out of college early. At the end of last year we are building a great combo with Holmes, Braylon & Cocthcery (till the day I day I will say if we had them back our team would be so much better) you get rid of 2 of them. You bring in a washwed up 37 year old Mason & a 34 year old Plax who has not played in 2 years. (the jury is

35. By Tom Spicer on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

out on Plax 3 good games in 8 does not make him a keeper especially at 34) The other 5 games he has looked old, slow & had bad hands. The point is this liek Gary C said you have to let Mark have his WRS more than 1 year to see how good he really is. Even thou I am not 100% sold on Plax yet I say bring him back just based on seeing what the QB can do with both Plax & Holmes back in year 2.

36. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

Just brilliant stuff, Gregg, I take my hat off to you. What’s really funny about it too is, I don’t understand why some of the folks who defend Sanchez against any and all charges can’t remember how much more accurately he threw for the first few games in his rookie yr before…everybody got tape on him. Which goes to your pt about his not being used to adjusting to new situations, trusting the OL, etc. and then of course early this yr that OL wasn’t worth trusting. Spicer, I definitely think it’ll help for MS to have the same WRs or at least some of them. But the way the NFL is now especially in this crazy yr, teams that have the same personnel more than a yr or 2 are pretty much the exception, and QBs are gonna have to adjust to that.

37. By Tom Spicer on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

Gregg from CA, throwing to a WR & leading them & not throwing at them is based off of timing knowing a WR how fast he runs & how long it takes him to get to a spot. This comes thru time & you dont have that time when you switch WRS every year that goes back to my & Gary C’s point. Even more so in a year with no mincamps, no OTAs, half a training camp & with the new CBA half the practice time.

38. By Ray on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

Jimmer I totally agreed with the taking of the knee at that point too, but the fact that they chose to run out the clock from the 40 yard line speaks volumes about the qb’s play up to that point. And yes Keller didn’t see the ball until it was sailing over his head and that was because he was being sandwiched between two defenders and had zero free space. Holmes on the other hand had three guys around him but none in front of him so he was able to see and make a play on the ball.

39. By Gregg from CA on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

Spicer, I agree with what you’re saying, but it continues to bother me that no matter how in-synch Mark is with the receivers at the end of one game, the next game starts out looking sloppy and takes a series or two for the sync to get re-established. That doesn’t make sense if you’re practicing during the week. You’re talking about long term progress, I’m talking about game-to-game. Other QBs in this league don’t seem to have the same “warm up” lag that Mark does. If he can correct that by concentrating on stabilizing his approach, then he WILL be great, but not until (in my opinion).

40. By Gregg from CA on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

Just an anecdotal reference regarding throwing AT instead of TO, the QB on my son’s undefeated and division winning football team in HS was also a shortstop on the baseball team. Great fielder, wonderful accuracy on the diamond, but the first few weeks of football practice, he was always throwing behind receivers on angled routes because his brain was wired to throw AT a target. Once he got adjusted, he was fine. He went on to QB for Redlands College, but ended up blowing out a knee and couldn’t play anymore.

That’s the exact type of visual I get from Mark, that he’s got a brain glitch that just needs adjusting. *shrug*

41. By GaryC on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

Look I am more of a fence sitter when it comes to sanchez and am willing to wait,Spicer makes strong points about the jets turning over the receiving position every year which doesn’t help his developement.Others who expect more because the jets moved up to draft him,again maybe jets crackerjack scouting dept goofed again,only time will tell.I always thought sanchez because of his size and arm,could be drew brees, never a Brady or Manning,or even Roethlisberger,because of his stature.At least the guy has shown the guts to be behind center every game,which we didn’t get from Pennington.The jets will really have to bring back Keller next year to fast forward sanchez’s developement or it will be back to square one.

42. By GaryC on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

few other points pertaining to McElroy as opposed to Sanchez vis a vis there offensive lines in college,wether it is Alabama or USC these schools aren’t lacking talent anywhere,so you need to go a little farther when discussing who will be more successful in the pros.that is why they have the combine and tape to review.

43. By WayneS on Nov 14, 2011 | Reply

Ive been a Jet fan since 67. This team is consistent when it comes down to the big games. Losers and they will never win a Superbowl in my life time.