• Wed., Sep. 03, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Replay Jets Open Mic on SNY Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences
  • Thu., Sep. 04, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Thu., Sep. 04, 2014 10:00 PM - 10:30 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Fri., Sep. 05, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Sat., Sep. 06, 2014 7:30 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Sun., Sep. 07, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Live Jets Post Game: Raiders at Jets Reactions and on-field interviews with Jets players immediately following every Jets game
  • Sun., Sep. 07, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Live Jets Post Game: Raiders at Jets Reactions and on-field interviews with Jets players immediately following every Jets game
  • Mon., Sep. 08, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Live Jets Open Mic

Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences

• Tue., Sep. 09, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Live Jets Extra Point Analysis of the previous week’s game and exclusive interivews with Jets players and coaches
  • Wed., Sep. 10, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Live Jets Open Mic

Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences

Rex on Sunday Mistakes, Thursday Broncos

Posted by Randy Lange on November 14, 2011 – 5:57 pm

Updated, 6:10 p.m. ET

Mistakes. Funny how innocent, harmless errors pile up on each other until suddenly there is a system overload and things like Sunday night’s 37-16 loss to the Patriots result.

Less than a full day after the Jets’ difficult loss at MetLife Stadium, Rex Ryan was asked how he would explain those mistakes.

“It could be a lot of things,” the head coach said at his news conference this afternoon at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center. “It wasn’t that we were pressing. I know we were excited about this opportunity. … It’s hard to describe. I don’t know if we were pressing or what it was.”

The E’s were many, from Nick Folk’s opening-drive field goal miss to pass protection to confusion during the Patriots’ no-huddle to Mark Sanchez’s two second-half interceptions.

At least there seems to be an explanation for the timeout after the first half’s two-minute warning. File it under “That Darned Helmet Communications System.”

Ryan explained that when he labeled the timeout that Sanchez called with 1:24 left in the half “the worst play in NFL history” for NBC before going into the locker room, he was referring to his part in the call, not his quarterback’s.

“I was basically saying that about myself,” Ryan said. “The emotion I was still feeling, that was obvious. I know how difficult it is. A great team like that, they don’t need any help. They went down and scored a touchdown after that.

“OK, he physically called the timeout. But through my communication, it wasn’t clear enough to Mark. That’s why it was my mistake.”

The process that led to the TO from Sanchez shows the limitations of the helmet system. Ryan said at no time did coordinator Brian Schottenheimer want to call a timeout when they did. But Ryan and Schotty were conferring about calling a timeout to discuss their third-down call after they had drained almost all the time off the game clock and the 40-second play clock.

“My understanding is I went over to Brian, Brian was going to make the call [to Sanchez] and I said, ‘No, let’s take the clock down, use all the clock and call the timeout,’ ” Ryan explained. “Matt asked, ‘What are we going to do? Take a timeout?’ I think that’s what Mark heard. He never heard the whole conversation I had with Brian. I don’t talk to Mark directly through the helmet ever. I don’t think he heard my and Brian’s comments.”

Had Sanchez waited until a second or two was left on the play clock and everything else was equal, following the Sanchez TD keeper behind Brandon Moore’s block of Vince Wilfork and the Jets’ kickoff, the Pats might have started their drive with around 1:03 left in the half rather than the 1:20 they had. Would 17 fewer seconds have prevented the Tom Brady-to-Rob Gronkowski TD pass for a 13-9 Pats lead with 9 seconds left?

Speculation. Maybe, maybe not. Maybe instead of Gronkowski it would have been Gostkowski, Stephen, for his third field goal and a 9-9 draw at the half.

But this error came at a critical point in the game. The Jets were playing at their best, with Jamaal Westerman’s strong pressure forcing Brady, struggling through 3-for-8, 31-yard second-quarter passing, into a safety-inducing intentional grounding in his end zone, followed by the 65-yard drive to that Sanchez TD and the Jets’ only lead of the night.

However, that moment passed, Brady and the Pats lit it up in the second half and the Jets did not. Any corrections from the game were made during today’s late practice and will be implemented in their short-week preparation before they take off Wednesday for their next primetime appearance Thursday night at Denver.

“We know we have to put it behind us. We play in, what, three days or whatever it is,” Ryan said. “We can’t focus on what just happened. We know what happened. We made enough mistakes that, you play against a good team, you’ve got no chance to beat ‘em, you make the mistakes we made.”

Injury View

Ryan, asked about the Thursday availability of RB LaDainian Tomlinson, who left the game late with a lower leg injury, said: “I hope so. We’ll see. That’s not the official word yet. … I have no idea the extent. … We think he’s going to be OK. We’re certainly hoping.”

The official word has just come from the Jets. There was no full practice today, just a walkthrough. The participation report is an estimation due to the Broncos having the day off. If the Jets had practiced, Tomlinson (knee) would not have participated, nor would WR Jeremy Kerley (knee), S Brodney Pool (knee), WR Patrick Turner (kidney) or TE Shawn Nelson (illness). Limited would have been WR Plaxico Burress (low back), DT Marcus Dixon (shoulder), LB David Harris (ankle) and WR Santonio Holmes (foot). Eight others were listed as full participants.

The Broncos’ report will come in shortly and we’ll post a summary here.

Safety Zone

Westerman was a little chagrined to hear that he doesn’t get much of anything officially for forcing the Brady safety. No sack, because Brady unloaded the ball as he was hit. No safety — it’s listed as “Team” because it was caused by Brady’s intentional grounding in the end zone.

And the satisfaction of getting an unofficial “quarterback hit” and causing the play was diluted by the events that followed.

“If you lose the game … ” he said. “We had  a couple of other chances to get him on the ground and we didn’t, so it’s rough. But definitely, whenever I get on the field, I try to do positive things, keep improving my game.”

Westerman’s also a part of a record stretch of safety creation. No matter whether individual or team credit, the play was still a “deuce” for the defense, and that makes five defensive safeties for the Jets since last Thanksgiving night against Cincinnati. So the Jets, who scored only 14 defensive safeties in their first 50½ seasons, now have five in the last 18 games, including the AFC Championship Game at Pittsburgh.

What’s more, the Jets are in the midst of one of the most safety-intensive stretches in league history. Some hasty unofficial research shows that only one team, the 1999 Tennessee Titans, who also had five defensive two-pointers in an 18-game span in that Super season (including their last one, of then Jaguars QB Mark Brunell in the AFC Championship Game).

One Other Rex Mistake

Ryan admitted to one other error Sunday night, that he had a profane exchange with a fan in the MetLife stands during halftime.

“It was right after halftime, obviously,” he said. “We made the mistake with the timeout, gave up the touchdown. I was emotional, it was an emotional time coming in, and I obviously made a mistake. I was just full of emotion and just popped off. Obviously, I know I represent the National Football League, I know I represent the Jets and I know it was a mistake. I apologize for it.

“It’s who I am sometimes. I made a mistake. I’m about as big a competitor as there is and at that time I was in no mood to hear anything, but I also understand that I have to handle that better.”

GM Mike Tannenbaum issued a statement early this evening.

“Rex and I have talked about it,” Tannenbaum said. “Obviously he let his emotions get the best of him. He knows that his behavior was not acceptable.”

Because the incident was a game-related matter, any discipline of Ryan would be handled by the NFL.

Rex Cetera

There was some thought that the Jets-Bills game on Nov. 27 could be flexed but the NFL announced today that game will remain at its original 1 p.m. ET kickoff at MetLife Stadium. … The guests on the 10th anniversary show of “Inside the Jets” at Grasshopper Off the Green in Morristown, N.J., from 7-8 p.m. tonight are Tannenbaum and senior personnel adviser Terry Bradway, the Jets’ GM before Mike T.

Tags: , , , , , ,
Posted in Uncategorized | 65 Comments »

65 Responses to “Rex on Sunday Mistakes, Thursday Broncos”

1. By davetharave on Nov 14, 2011 | Reply

I HATE Thursday football. I understand about the Thanksgiving day stuff and that’s all there should be. These Thursday night games are horrible for the players, especially late in the season. These guys need TIME in between games and the only reason they are doing this is for TV ratings and money. 3 days is NOT enough time for these guys to rest up and absorb a game plan. It’s a really bad idea and they should do away with it but there’s too much money involved, I’m sure of that.

2. By Karan on Nov 14, 2011 | Reply

We lose and once again people start to lose their minds, analysts are talking about Jets not having a chance to make the playoffs, it’s all chaotic! Lol, relax everyone, I was pretty bitter last night too but I’ve accepted the loss, we lost fair and square. I believe there is no chance we will win the division, NE’s remaining schedule is ridiculously easy. I do believe however, we will have a wild-card spot, whether it be no.5 or no.6 seed, I truly believe it will come down to the last week for the Jets. Bengals, Raiders and Bills will put up a tough fight, but Jets and Ravens will secure the 5 and 6 seeds, these two teams are way to talented to miss it. And please fire schottenheimer, loll. I still support Sanchez though.

3. By Karan on Nov 14, 2011 | Reply

Don’t forget guys this has happened before, but when the Jets backs are against the wall, especially Sanchez, they perform the best. They have to be aware of Tebow and the Broncos, classic case of a trap game. I like Tebow but will root against him in this one game. I love my Jets more. Jets will meet Patriots in the playoffs and we will beat em this time, no doubt.

4. By sean on Nov 14, 2011 | Reply

WHY DO WE HAVE PLAX,HOLMES ??? FOR SHOW??? I DID NOT OR BARELY EVER SEE SANCHEZ TRY TO THROW ESPECIALLY VS PATS WITH MAN TO MAN COVERAGE AND WORST CORNERBACKS IN FOOTBALL!!! HE DIDNT TRY ONCE TO THROW DEEP,WHY??? and dont say he didnt have the time,thats not true even though he was sacked 5 times,IS HE SCARED TO THROW DEEP OR IS IT SCHOTTY,SICK OF IT MAN!!!!!!!!AND I WONT EVEN START ON DEFENSE NOT EVEN COVERING RECEIVERS PATHETIC FOR REAL

5. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Nov 14, 2011 | Reply

Schaub, Cassel, Moreno, Wood all out for the yr to go with the other great players already out. The unwritten story of the NFL this yr is the huge number of season-ending injuries and yet we get these Thursday night games. The unwritten story of the Jets this yr is that Rex has no command of, no knowledge of, no ideas on the O. In a pass-happy, big-scoring NFL, this is absurd and it’ll haunt the Jets maybe even longer than a stalled Sanchez will. Schotty shoulda left no later than November of 2009, but I’m 50-50 on whether dumping Sanchez or Rex in a year or 2 is a bigger priority if things don’t change. Sorry, folks, but I’m too old for fairy tales. Actually, where the Jets are concerned, I was too old for them when Lou Holtz was the HC.

6. By logan on Nov 14, 2011 | Reply

Rex Ryan has ben a shot in the arm for this franchise, and has done a truly fantastic job in his first 2 years. He is one of the few coaches that has an enjoyable, honest, informative and funny press conferance (check out Couglin at the Giants sometime to see the exact opposite.) I hope he has a long fruitfull stay at the Jets I don’t know what happened with the fan at half time, probably some half drunk idiot. The Ryans do have tempers, you old timers will remember his father Buddy punching another coach on the sidelines during a Bears game.Hang in there Ryan!

7. By Joe DeVesta on Nov 14, 2011 | Reply

Where is the Jet Pass Rush??????
    Brady had all day to throw!
    Why has no one talked about that??????

8. By Joe DeVesta on Nov 14, 2011 | Reply

The Jet Team is not well coached….Rex I love you but
    a lot less talking and more coaching…..admit it you were out coached
    last night.

Your QB is missing something you know that and the offense knows that.
    Tannenbaum….Woodhead continues to make you pay real bad move.
    Pass protection from you offense line and a pass rusher (DE) and maybe next
    year the Jets will go to the SB.

9. By TONY GARCIA on Nov 14, 2011 | Reply

Jet fan since 1969, team was playing well until sunday’s meltdown. WE could finish 10-6 or even 11-5 and not make playoffs. wild card is coming from afc central.Until we play consistently we will be up and down.Every one wants to blame Sanchez this was a team effort meltdown.Go jets.

10. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Nov 14, 2011 | Reply

Get ready for something like this if we don’t make the playoffs (and no, I’m not merely channeling the Namath/Huarte/Taliaferro summer camp): Woody tells Rex, look, I hired you to turn this around and it don’t look too good. Rex, seeing that it’s finally HIS job on the line, says, “No problem, fire everyone but Callahan, Westy, and Ellard, get me Jason Campbell, and next summer we’ll let Sanchez, Campbell, and McElroy fight it out to start, eventually trading one, probably either MS or JC, who doesn’t measure up.” This could happen because Rex is gonna realize he needs a QB who’s further along than Sanchez is unless he steps it up, and he’s gonna start hearing that from the blue-chip players on the team who are tired of our high school O.

11. By Ronald on Nov 14, 2011 | Reply

I heard everyone talking about this game as though the pats are superior to the Jets. My feeling about this game is that we gave it away caused I saw mistakes after mistakes that we made.We started good, but when we got close to their end zone we played terribly. We could have made a touchdown, but we decided to go for it all instead of little by little and we end up with a missed field goal. We only got horrible from there. 1:20 minutes and the defense who was great earlier could not keep everything infront of them. Misplacement and Revis had to call someone to cover a receiver. What about taking a five yard penality, so we can get it right next time. Wilson could have intercepted the ball at least twice on the first half, but didn’t

12. By Ronald on Nov 14, 2011 | Reply

Fumble by McNight, miscommunication between by Shawn and Shawntell. Not protecting the quarterback and not practicng enough. We made it hard on us rather than our opponent. Rex not ground and Pound. We could not even recover a the ball. Basically all around zero we were and we should apologyse to the fan in attendance caused we really played this game to lose.

13. By 38 year fan on Nov 14, 2011 | Reply

In the aftermath of a disaster , like Sunday , it is easy to start rattling off emotionally charged statements ,..But I feel that this pain will be carried with us and used to fuel an EVEN STRONGER AND ANGRIER JETS TEAM …We have been knocked down hard , but it’s not if you are knocked down …The question is do we get back up Off the mat ? …The answer is yes ..We fight to the end , WE WILL NEVER GIVE UP ….. wait till we see them again in the plkayoffs ..

14. By 38 year fan on Nov 14, 2011 | Reply

I don’t think there is going to be any Jets that don’t THIRST FOR REVENGE….And that is one of the most powerfull motivating forces …

15. By BillsJets on Nov 14, 2011 | Reply

Patriots rush 3 down linemen, their all over Sanchez, The Jets on Defense rush/blitz 7 people, they can’t even touch Brady. Now can someone explain to me the Rex Ryan Defense again. Offense – The Jets show potential in doing their pound and ground running game against the Patriots, and then all the sudden, the Jets decide to become a pass offense. What are the Jets thinking!!!

16. By harry-o on Nov 14, 2011 | Reply

got to win five of last seven games
    for any shot at the playoffs
    any five , you pick’m

to go 8-3 in the last eleven is do able
    the schedule is weak only the G-men have a winning record
    youz guyz can do this !

17. By Dan on Nov 14, 2011 | Reply

Boy, they really played like garbage. Defense deserves a lot of the blame. I don’t really blame Sanchez, he missed a couple throws, and took a couple sacks, but the fumble wasn’t his fault, the first pick wasn’t his fault. Brady killed us right befroe the half and at the beginning of the fourth quarter. Those were the turning points. Pretty terrible seeing the defense that flustered, like in that Ochocinco play in the beginning. Get it together boys, it was uninspiring.

18. By IRA on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

Randy, Those safety stats are really weird. Funny how things come in bunches in this game. As for TNF i think it was very unfair to send them to Denver after a SNF Game. It is what it is but the Jets have fared well on TNF in the past beating the Pats , Bills and Bengals.
    That time clock issue was not good and reminded me of the Q. Carter clock issue vs Balt in 04 and weird that game was played on 11/14 a day later than this past game. Very strange.

19. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

Karan, you keep moving the wall! Our backs were against the wall when we had to beat BAL. They were against it when we had to beat NE the first time. Every time we don’t show up for a big game, it’s like you’re more encouraged because now “our backs are against the wall” and we’ll play better. Nothing personal, dude, but this is nuts! And it’s exactly what happens when you start making excuses for one or two players or coaches instead of looking at what’s happening to the whole team. The worse Sanchez plays, the more some folks are convinced that Holmes is a bust, Plax was a mistake, Keller’s overrated, etc. WHY NOT GET A QB WHO CAN THROW ACCURATELY TO HIS RECEIVERS AND THEN EVALUATE THEM?! Jeez, this stuff makes even less sense than OWS…

20. By Allan O'Dane on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

Listening to Mike and Mike in the morning and Chris Carter echoed my words…” Sanchez is not the answer..give Peyton a call if he 100% and wants to be traded ” Sure the Jets would have to own up and admit a mistake but seriously Sanchez is just a good QB not great one..to many offensive weapons not be used to full potenial. Imagine what Manning can do with this offense? Keller catching passes like clark…holmes like wayne..plus a tall target like plax add the running game and a stout “D”..you see the same picture as I do. As for Denver..line up in the 46 defense send harris out on a seek and destroy mission let Cro,Revis and Jim L. handle the secondary. Jets should win. If they lose..(That’s such a scary thought I can’t even finish that)

21. By Chicago Bob on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

Tebow is going to see a variety of defensive sets he has never seen before – best guess is the Jets will try and keep him in the pocket and make him throw. No reason the Jets cannot run the ball on this defense and control the clock. Forget the trap game, they should beat the Broncos handily then have 1-1/2 weeks to rest up for the Bills. I would have been more scared of the Broncos game had they beat the Pats.

22. By no one listens to Blinka on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

Will someone please throw hot coffee in my face and explain why nfl thinks it’s fair to fly out west to play a game on such short rest?

23. By IRA on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

Bob, My same feelings about the Denver game. When the schedule came out i felt they would beat the Pats and have a let down in Denver. Now that just can’t happen they need to win this game and for same unexplained reason this team plays better when their backs are against the wall. I expect a good win and move on. Still think they will need 11 – 5 to get in.
    GO JETS!!!!

24. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

Joe De Vesta, your post is my favorite of the day. logan, this may be the year of the plateau, not just for Sanchez but for Rex. While my complaint that he knows nothing about O, doesn’t even seem to think his job involves taking control of the O, is well-documented, I’m also starting to notice how he’s not consistently able to get the team up for big games, especially during the regular season. And his lack of tact is a looming Achilles’ heel. Recklessly exploding about the time-out on national TV at the half is exactly like turning McKnight into a joke on “Hard Knocks” but worse. If I was Woody I’d have a fork-in-the-road talk with Rex around now, he’s starting to go overboard on the blustery buffoonery and coming up short on coaching.

25. By logan on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

How any one thinks the Jets have been playing good this season is beyond me. Two big blowout losses to the Pats, a old fashion beat down by the Ravens, beat up by Oakland .The beat two winning teams that were headed down Buffalo and the Chargers. You got a real possibilty of a meltdown here. Shotty
    has to go. Boy Rookie needs to be pulled during one game, and taught a lesson by sitting for a half the next time he reverts to his little boy rookie persona.

26. By Rich on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

The Jets were outplayed, outcoached and outclassed on Sunday night in one of the most humiliating defeats in franchise history. There’s no room for managerial arrogance in football and Tannenbaum’s poor drafting in recent years after an impressive start has doomed this team. Looking forward, the offensive and defensive coordinators should be replaced during the off-season. McElroy should be given an opportunity to compete for the starting QB position. Sanchez has been a disappointment. They should have upgraded the left guard and right tackle positions prior to this season, yet drafted another RB after the Woodhead debacle last year. They should convert to a 4-3 defense with their number 1 priority being to find a pass rushing DE.

27. By Karan on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

Did you guys knew we are the only team in the NFL that would have not taken and we did NOT take advantage of the 32nd worst pass defense. Also, lets not forget that the Patriots started 2 rookies who have NEVER played a down in the NFL before in their secondary! It got so bad that Julian Edelman even played D! And of course the worst offensive coordinator in the league would not take advantage of that, no his ignorance allowed him to stick to his poor game plan and not make adjustments! How does Rex not realize this??? Schottenheimer should have been gone 3 years ago, this is getting really frustrating as a fan. Why can’t the staff just promote Tom Moore to OC? On one hand you have an offensive guru in Moore and the worst OC in shottenheim.

28. By Karan on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

@jet fan since ’64 tom: Whens the last time a Jets quarterback who isn’t named Sanchez took you to back-to-back AFC championships? Which Jets QB has a 4-2 record in the playoffs on the ROAD? Which quarterback constantly gets criticized and not even get support from his own fan base and then once again goes out to prove everyone wrong? He’ll do it, this same circumstance has happened before, you just have to be to patient. Have you ever that though it was the playcalling too? The defense played just as bad, in fact, the entire team played bad including Sanchez, I understand that, but ya just can’t say oh he had this one bad game, time to get a new QB!, no disrespect but thats a bit ignorant and you must know the Jets have been in this same

29. By Karan on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

situation before. They will overcome, it’s just a matter of waiting.

30. By logan on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

Lets look at Shotty. Jets go to the championship two years in a row and zero interest by other teams in the offensive coach. Off season the bring in this old time offensive guru (whose being paid to sit home and watch tape) to shore up the offense The latest loss the Jets score 14 points against the worse pass defense in the NFL and the O line cannot protect Boy Rookie. Ryan is a hands off offensive head coach it is all on Shotty and Ryan will protect him to the last

31. By IRA on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

And how great would it be to take a trip back to Oakland to get revenage for their earlier loss in the season to them and then go back to get another shot at the Pats. I think this is exactly how this will play out if the Jets take care of their own business these next 7 games. And who knows imagine them back at Pitt for another AFC Title Game. Stranger things have happened.

32. By fanthruthickandthin on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

Every time we attempt to change our offensive identity we fall short; The offense looks confused and all the mistakes begin to pile up. We need to stick to what wins the game; ground and pound. If you want a QB that throws the ball become a packers fan. Look at the Broncos; Tim Tiebow can barely throw the ball but the Broncos are backing his skill set and they are winning! Who cares what it looks like! A win is a win. Consistency wins time and time again. I have been a fan all my life and I am not quiting now! Go Jets!

33. By Hans on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

Hey Tom64: ignore your rights dude, I guarantee you they’ll go away

34. By Joe DeVesta on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

Tom,
    Thank you…..I have green blood……Jet fan since the start caught a Jim Turner
    field goal at Shea in 68.
    Offense line needs a lot of work…..MS keep your head up!!!!
    Joe D.

35. By Ray on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

Well how many people are back to earth after that big three game winning streak? Let’s see…Miami was horrible when we played them, SD has been in the tank so that 4-1 record was a joke and Buffalo has come back to earth, not nearly the great three game stretch it might have appeared to be. Whoever said it wasn’t Hunter that gave up those sacks… Yes it was Hunter. The T.O. debacle is 100% on Sanchez, yes they told him to call a T.O. but they made the mistake of thinking he had the common sense to know they meant, run the clock down first. Sanchez also has an empty backfield and doesn’t recognize a blitz coming from the left side and drops back like he has all day and takes a sack. But this was a team loss. Sanchez was far from….

36. By Ray on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

….the only reason we lost that game. Three dropped picks, missed chip shot FG, Holmes stumbles or he’s in the EZ on the first drive. McKnight fumbles punt, and how does Strickland not recover that ball? How do we not take advantage of their defense? Rex says they were better than they look? Really? How come every other team moves on them and scores on them with no problem? And that is when they had their STARTERS!! As has been said numerous times and is worth saying again we have the WORST safety tandem in the NFL!! I dont’ know about anyone else, but I sure do miss Coleman and Lowery right now. We should have gone after Jonathan Joseph instead of Aso and kept Coleman and Lowery.

37. By kleckofan on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

Jet Fan Tom- Amen on your proposal to get another QB in here to compete, Campbell is a good choice too. Listen, I don’t know if it’s totally Sanchez or Schotty, or a combo of both, but it’s obvious the O is not right. It is constantly a rushed, stuttering, inefficient mess, no rythm; never forcing the D into bad situations. Watch a game with an adept OC, there’s flow to the game plan. The Jets have a problem admitting mistakes (Gholston, Woodhead etc). I ilike Mark, great kid, says the right thiings, good work ethic, but it looks like he doesn’t have the skill set required in the NFL, regardless of play calling. Can ‘em both. Also, Rex does need to throttle it down, it’s become a distraction nad a detriment to the team.

38. By kleckofan on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

cont Someone above said he’s a breath of fresh “watch a Coughlin press conference”, yes, Rex is entertaining, love the guy, but good pressers don’t win games or prepare the team. In all honesty, Rex reacts and says things like he’s one of us (fans). That’s probably why we like him. I’ll take boring and a Lombardi Trophy any day. Finally, other than the Ravens game, huge mistakes (turnovers) have been the down fall of all our losses…that’s the NFL I know, but it’s preparation, coaching. If we’re gonna make any noise from here on out we need to hunker down, play error free, close to the vest footabll and win 17-10 games. Draft a true safety, draft speed on D, draft line depth. Phew!

39. By Steve on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

I don’t know if anyone feels this way, but every time Rex says we’re going to ground and pound, they do the opposite. The running game on Sunday seemed to be going pretty well, and then they start getting pass happy. Keep running the ball until their defense stops it and the passing game will open up. Another thing, is there some reason when the Jets are within the 10 yard line they don’t run at all? They try to force the ball into the end zone where it is probably the most difficult place to pass. I’m a big Sanchez supporter, but it seems he has regressed. The question is why? I believe he has the tools, but when you keep changing your philosophy on what kink of offence you want to run, it has to cause some confusion and uncertainty

40. By GaryC on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

Logan, that coordinator was Gilbride, who Buddy went after in that game with jets,isn’t it funny that Gilbride now is a top offensive coordinator with Giants,Be careful about getting rid of Sanchez just yet, Brees became great when he left Marty Schottenheimer,maybe if sanchez leaves little shotty who knows,do I see any Fassel sightings.sticking up a little for sanchez, when you have a wideout who gets timed with an hourglass,and a running back who needs to find Biletnikoffs stickem,it is like starting behind the eight ball.Oh by the way does anyone want to trade Burress for Jordy Nelson yet.

41. By Chris on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

Rex ccan be masterful at times vs Belicheck but that night it was checkmate. Rex has to find a plan against those big TE’s I think we miss Brodney that night, Eric is too short and not great cover skills. Most of all i’m dissapointed in the way we had no answer for the no huddle when they did this to us before and to other teams. Definately need a package of mixed run stuffers and cover guys that can stay on the field. Sanchez still looking rookieish taking bad sacks and poor game management, should have been able to exploit a banged up worst defense in the league. Schotty still not taking this offense to the next level, this team needs new direction next year at OC someone with pedigree of developing QB’s

42. By Chris on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

On comments of sanchez taking the team to 2 championship games and 4 playoff win. The defense and running game took us to those games he came along for the ride, I’m not sold on him but i would like to see him under a real OC who has proven to make QB’s better. Sanchez may be wasting his carrer under Schottenheimer, statement moves need to be made next off season new OC and competition for Sanchez I just don’t think he has the killer instinct to take over a game.

43. By no one listens to Blinka on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

Still bitter but calm now:

It’s wrong to point out they should do this or do that. They just made mistakes.
    They were not dominated. Some execution would have changed everything.

Eh, who cares what I think, no one sells my jersey,
    #54

44. By joe on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

As the great Parcells said YOU ARE WHAT YOUR RECORD SAYS YOU ARE..Could have, would have,should have ect is the mark of a loser.We all need to face the fact that the Jets are an average NfL team with an an average qb (average qbs dont win Superbowls unless their defence has multiple hall of famers on it )Rex has got himself into a jam because his mouth is writing checks that the talent level of his team cant cash.His act is starting to grow old- it fans are tired of hearing about idle promises to win it all without delivering

45. By joe on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

PS No one ever hears Tonlin,Dungy,Bellick ,Coughlan ect boast or guarantee anything.I guess they are too busy preparing their teams to actually win superbowls .

46. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

Corporate life, Karan? In that arena if you’re not constantly looking ahead they think you’re going backwards, so mere “patience” with things that aren’t working ain’t the answer. Rights, Hans? Having risked my life in the ’60s and ’70s to ensure YOUR rights, especially after May 4, 1970 (go look up what happened on that day), I say don’t come inside with that weak stuff. As for the rest of you clamoring for big changes, I agree and that’s what I think you’ll see if we don’t make the playoffs and shine in them. There are too many holes in the roster and too many mistakes being made by both players and coaches. And as Gregg from CA reminded me yesterday, Woody didn’t lobby for that 2014 SB so we can go 8-8 and watch it from the parking lot.

47. By Karan on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

I agree with Chris, Sanchez is definitely killing his career with Schottenheimer around. Need a new QB, and I think Sanchez does fine.

48. By Karan on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

I’m sorry not a new QB, a new OC, offensive coordinator.

49. By joe on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

PS 2 relating to talent level the drafts the past couple of years are BEYOND A JOKE.Sanchez,Gholson,Wilson, Duccase(the Jets really spent millions of dollars scouting these guys)Were not talking about drafting pro bowlers here were talking about first and second rounders who are average at best(Sanchez )backups (Wilson )or out of the league (Ghosten ,soon to be Duccase.

50. By Ronald on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

If Sanchez cannot do it, Please let’s put McElroy there and see how good he is. We also need a pass rusher. If we go to the playoff we are likely to meet New England again and our offense needs to be much better. Sanchez seems to be scared of the game. Kyle wilson played horrible caused he could have intercepted the ball twice and gone the other way for touvhdown, but did not. We also need to eliminate fouling them caused when they missed we got them back in. I was very mad at us for letting New england win cause believe me that’s what happen. Now that I am calm I realize that we got scared about the moment. For as much as people are talking we made mistakes and they won caused Brady did not really beat us.

51. By Ronald on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

I hope coach Ryan sees this. You are a great coach caused before you came we could barely get to 50%, but now that you are here it is a different things. New England have to scheme in order to try to beat us and even thenif it wasn’t for all those mistakes from special team, defense and offense we would have won. You also need to be an equal opportunity employer and test our third quarterback. I think he might be a quick learner of the game and should get his shot. In all remember to run the ball as much as possible. Belicheck first head coach job was a disaster while yours is a success. I believe in you coach and you are destined to be a legend.

52. By joe on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Guys they WIll NEVER test the other QBs (to do so would admit they made a TERRIBLE MISTAKE by trading up to grab Sanchez.Mike T and Rex Ryan would really have some explaining to do to MR Johnson)

53. By Gmany3k on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

@Tom 64 if Tanny does what you said in your 1st post and Rex lets all those coaches go than you will have been dead for 40 yrs before the Jets ever get to a super bowl .out coached sure . also out drafted meaning bilichick can make anyone play great defense and make good teams look bad that is what Bill does .
    as a team we did make mistakes and turn overs but we lost because we have no answer for the bilichick offense . people want to blame smith he and most players are a mismatch against gronkowski .we have no answer for the hurry up because our front 7 is not elite .also Rex Ryan doesn’t bother me when he gets emotional on national TV because he is human . and the NFL is not GOD although they think they are .if anything all should try to

54. By Gmany3k on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

do things like bilchick cause it seems to work for him . Mark is no at the point where he can out think the genius and doesn’t have the arm to defy him either
    nor does REX and Shotty .ps your best bet is to get Tanny to try to lure Bill back to the Jets but than you would be dead in that case also .:)

55. By joe on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Guys were all forgetting one thing N England was exposed this year by the teams (Steelers ect )that have the personal-talent to do so.We (because of our bad drafting,poor free agent signings)absolutely dont have that type of personal.There are no Bradys ,Rothesburgers ,Wallaces Woodleys,Polamues ECT on this team

56. By joe on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Ps when i say talent level( i mean specifically BESIDES A TOP LEVEL QB )2 more wide outs of a talent level equal to Holmes .On defence a natural pass rusher (like an John Abraham ,Lamar Woodley ,James Harrasion )and MUCH smore overall linebacker and saftey speed

57. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

Gmany3k, I’ll take no bets on a Jets SB before I die but both of your posts, merged with joe’s around it, speak very articulately to the long-range planning mistakes with respect to both players and coaches that put us in this position. I’m more rational about Sanchez than some on this site and most on the NFL site, as I merely say if he doesn’t really step up this yr you gotta throw some real competition at him next summer. Though I know some Jet fans now seem to think we can “come from behind” every week, every month, every season, you can’t wait until halfway thru MS’s 5th yr to consider unloading him, you have to be FRONT-loaded re that possibility. joe, if Mr T and Rex really put pride before smarts, Woody’ll dump them even faster.

58. By STAYLOADED on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

Karen,The Jets backs were against the wall and they blew it. They could have been in 1st place and not worry about 5/6 seed. They would have had Home Field advantage and now they don’t.I understand about Shotty, but if he sends in a play for throwing and the QB doesn’t it the target who’s fault is it. And for some strange reason if the Jets do meet the Patriots, it would be a miracle to beat them.
    Great comment, Jets Fan Since 64 Tom Name of the Game competition for next year. MAN-UP!!
    Been around as long as you, was all packed up for 98 remember.
    You know how that went.

59. By Griff on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

Most pts allowed by Rex at home as a coach on the biggest game of the year.. has to say something for our Coach….what was the plan for the TEs… take care of the TEs and Welker and run the ball and the game is won…. what was the plan for the TEs Rex? ..Eric Smith?….

More important…that was a terrible Patriots Defense and we can put up any points on them… the Seahawks would have put up more points than us… the answer FIRE SHOTTY!!!!!!!!! This is his offense which is full of stars and it cant get it done against the worse defenses in the league… he has had his chance..and he is ruining this team…..Please Woody… look at the numbers and put someone in that tutor Mark to be great and get this high powered offense back.

60. By Gmany3k on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

Could Tom Brady play great in Shotty’s offense ?answer that question than you know if he really is the problem . You see Brady can do every kind offense there is today and do it flawlessly while Sanchez falls far short . secondly the people who own and run the NFL have changed the game with their rules for a passing league and have created a business that is no longer a sport but only in its image.
    we know that there are only so many QB’s on the planet that can replicate the skill sets to dominate the league so you can throw the claim parity out the window.
    In my view any team that looses games on purpose just to get the best pick in the draft is not demonstrating good sportsmanship and fair competition and should be expelled from the NFL

61. By Gmany3k on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

The Draft is like horse racing insiders already know who the winner will be while the suckers loose all their money. and we jets fans have been the suckers far to long.the NFL ain’t to far from Pro wrestling . so like the rest of you I will tune in to watch our team try to play for 60 minutes with a QB’ that can’t play with a lead, and they will also have the strange desire to believe they can go all the way and not fall into the 43 year of Reality. we should walk into victory in this game lets face it what can Tebow do better than Brady or Sanchez .

62. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

Sure I remember ’98, STAY, especially the championship game vs. DEN, another slow start that cost us big-time.

63. By joe on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

Definately every time a coach is on the hot seat a cordinator goes first (often to make it look good bye time ect )I really think the problem here are the drafts starting with trading up on Sanchez .When your not getting quality pro bowl type players on first and second picks theres trouble.Gholsten ,Wilson Duccase (you take a guard on the second round and miss come on ).If you look at a team like the Steelers ,Ravens EVERY year they get great draft production and it shows in their records

64. By Manny on Nov 18, 2011 | Reply

Rex Ryan has by far showed us, he is not the coach we all thought he was. New England and now Denver were two of the worst coaching performances I have ever seen and I have been watching football for roughly 50 years. I have been a jet fan since they were the New York Titans. Is Brady going to pass, well gee I think so. Is Tebow going to run, well gee I think so. Then why were we not ready for them. How could we let ourselves get beat like this! Two wasted games!!!!!!!!!! I say Ryan has to go. Coaching is not just running your mouth. You have to walk the talk, and he is not living up to the job.

65. By Gmany3k on Nov 18, 2011 | Reply

They all told us all week or 3 days its tebow time, that he just finds a way to win in the 4th qtr so just like as if it was scripted we contain tebow until the curtain call came up the stage was set 2minutes to go we have the lead its huge 3 points, they have 95 yds to go against a defense that shut them down for 58 minutes , we have only biltzed all out 1 time the whole game, so what did we do when we needed to contain Tebow ? 11 guys biltz converging on the QB and flush him into the endzone. ps on the last play of the game they could have called a PI cause denver made contact on buress. I know its shotty’s fault for knowing that mark can’t throw all the throws in the NFL.