• Wed., Oct. 01, 2014 2:15 PM - 2:30 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Wed., Oct. 01, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences every Monday and Wednesday from the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center. Jets Open Mic is a 30-minute telecast throughout the NFL season.
  • Thu., Oct. 02, 2014 2:00 PM - 2:15 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Thu., Oct. 02, 2014 3:30 PM EDT Live Press Conference: Coordinators Jets special teams coordinator Thomas McGaughey, offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg and defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman will address the media.
  • Thu., Oct. 02, 2014 9:30 PM - 10:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan Jets Game Plan is a 30-minute preview show hosted by Jeane Coakley with analysts Ray Lucas and Tony Richardson, providing a comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup.
  • Fri., Oct. 03, 2014 12:40 PM - 12:55 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Sat., Oct. 04, 2014 10:00 PM - 10:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan Jets Game Plan is a 30-minute preview show hosted by Jeane Coakley with analysts Ray Lucas and Tony Richardson, providing a comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup.
  • Mon., Oct. 06, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences every Monday and Wednesday from the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center. Jets Open Mic is a 30-minute telecast throughout the NFL season.
  • Mon., Oct. 06, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Inside the Jets

• Tue., Oct. 07, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Extra Point Every Tuesday throughout the season, Jets fans can tune into Jets Extra Point, a weekly show that dissects the previous week's game with detailed analysis. The show will also feature exclusive interviews with Jets players and coaches. Host Brian Custer is joined by Ray Lucas, Tony Richardson, and a rotating panel of Jets on SNY analysts.

Focus Isn’t in Rearview Mirror but on Bills Ahead

Posted by Randy Lange on November 21, 2011 – 4:09 pm

Updated, 4:42 p.m. ET

The return to the Atlantic Health Jets Training Complex today brought a return of questions about where the Jets are headed in 2011. Rex Ryan addressed the events that, in the last eight days, turned his team from an optimistic 5-3 unit to a 5-5 team contemplating a tough road ahead to reach the playoffs for the third straight year on his watch.

“It’s rough, there’s no doubt,” the head coach said. “We were hoping this week we’d be at the top of the AFC, but we’re not. We’re not going to dwell on what’s behind us. We’re going to move forward. The seasons got six more games and we’re not going to get six wins by looking in our rearview mirror.”

Rex wasn’t guaranteeing or predicting. He had a quiet seriousness about him today as he pondered where the Jets are and where they might be going. He didn’t put a number on the Jets’ goal for wins the rest of the way but asked if five out of six would make the playoffs, he replied, “I would think so. And 11-5, you’re going to make the playoffs, I would think.

“But we have to beat Buffalo, period, end of conversation. That’s where our focus is going to be.”

The Bills were the last team the Jets faced when everything good was in front of them. Coming off their bye and heading to Orchard Park, N.Y., to play their then-hot rivals, the Jets pulled away with a strong second half to their 27-11 victory that lifted them to 5-3 and had them poised to play the Patriots for the division lead.

With that loss, Buffalo has fallen on hard times. And the Jets need to climb over their long-time division mates to keep hope alive. They have returned to work in a positive frame of mind, which is a start.

“In this game you don’t have time to feel sorry for yourself,” LB Bart Scott said. “You have to move on, and you have to get ready to play. We dealt ourselves a bad hand but we’re still in the game. And as long as you’re still in the game you have to perform. This is a good opportunity for us to get on the right track and try to go on a roll, because we have to. We can’t afford to lose any more games.”

“It’s a long season,” G Brandon Moore said. “We were written off when we had the three-game losing streak. It’s a long season. It has peaks, it has valleys. We’re in a valley right now and I know it sounds simple and cliché, but we’re going to have to get better until the end and win our next game. It’s as simple as that. I think our confidence is fine. Guys understand we have the playmakers in here, we have talent to win ballgames on a consistent level. We just have to be able to do it during the course of the week and prove it on Sundays.”

Ryan restated one of his and his team’s philosophies, that whatever has happened to this point, this is the time of year that his program is built for.

“It’s the way we do everything,” he said. “It’s the way we lift, the way we take care of our players — I’ve never been around a team that takes care its players as good we do. It’s the rest, the time I give them off during the bye week, which I always get criticized for. This is why we do what we do, to be better this time of year.

“That’s where we are. No excuses. We’ve earned that 5-5 record. But we’re focused on what’s in front of us. We’d better get it done and we’d better get it done in a hurry.”

Health Status

As Ryan likes to say on Mondays, he provided some “bonus coverage” of the health of the Jets, bonus since he’s not required to submit an injury report until Wednesday before a Sunday game. He said that the three players who didn’t travel to Denver due to knee injuries — LaDainian Tomlinson, Jeremy Kerley and Brodney Pool — plus RB Shonn Greene, who injured his ribs early in the game, didn’t practice today.

“Those four were on the side,” he said. “I think, though, all of them will play. … I think everybody will play. We’ll see, obviously, as the week goes on. If we had to play today, I don’t know about that, but by Sunday I think our guys will be ready.”

Ryan was asked about G Matt Slauson, who also sat out.

“Slauson was on the side as well, but he’s a guard,” Ryan deadpanned. “That poor guy’s had a neck, an ankle, a knee … but he’ll play.”

Slauson said he got his sprain on the third play of the game.

“I came hobbling off and got a brace on it,” he said today. “The doctors were saying I was moving good enough to play, so I said OK.” He returned for the rest of the game and as a result was on the field for his fortuitous fumble-return TD, the Jets’ only six-pointer of the night, early in the third quarter.

Kerley was also optimistic about being available for the Bills.

“They haven’t said yet but I want to see myself at practice and get my confidence back right,” the rookie WR said. “Hopefully by Wednesday or Thursday I’ll be back.”

Ryan, in response to a question about injuries in the league at large this season, agreed it might be true that injuries are up but didn’t think it was applicable to the Jets.

“Right now we’re pretty healthy,” he said. “We’ve had some injuries but I think at this stage of the game we’re about as healthy as any team.”

In fact, the 18 players on last week’s injury report was the longest list Ryan’s had as Jets head coach, yet 14 of the 18 were listed as probable for the Broncos and all played.

One other player not at practice was WR Plaxico Burress, who a while back was given today and Tuesday off for personal reasons.

The Jets are practicing Monday through Wednesday and Friday this week only and will be home with their loved ones on Thanksgiving.

One Fine Day

At the top of his news conference, Ryan addressed the fine news surrounding his expletives directed at a fan during halftime at the Jets-Patriots game eight days ago.

“I got fined $75,000,” he said. “I received notice from Commissioner Goodell. I won’t appeal it. The commissioner’s got a tough enough job. I’m an NFL lifer. I know I represent the NFL and I represent the Jets. I’m accountable for my actions so I will not appeal it. I’m just moving forward to Buffalo.”

In response to a question, he said, “I just know it was a mistake and I’ve owned up to that mistake, there’s no question about it.”

He said before today he spoke with Goodell about the incident. What did he tell the Commish?

“Shoot, I just wanted to apologize to him,” Ryan said. “I never denied I didn’t make a mistake. I did.”

DeVito in Demand

DT Mike DeVito will be the guest of honor when my partner Eric Allen moderates this week’s Jets Chat, which will appear on newyorkjets.com beginning Tuesday around 4:30 p.m. ET. Fans can ask questions of DeVito live during the chat but we’ll also be accepting questions beginning now for DeVito. You can send your question as a comment to Randy’s Radar or via the Jets’ Twitter account.

DeVito also will be one of the Jets players featured on tonight’s “Inside the Jets.” The other player guest will be fellow Jets trenchman Nick Mangold, and the show will be hosted as always by Voice of the Jets Bob Wischusen. Come on out to the Grasshopper Off the Green bar/restaraurant in Morristown, N.J., from 7-8 p.m. to see the show in person or listen live to the proceedings on 1050 ESPN New York.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

43 Responses to “Focus Isn’t in Rearview Mirror but on Bills Ahead”

1. By logan on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

The lose to Buffalo on Sunday than the “focus” is going to be on next year. I don’t know the cintract situation with Schotty but when it’s up I can’t see the Jets throwing a lot of money at him to try and keep him, they should offer him a short term deal with no money and a take it or leave it message Schotty should see the writing on the wall, he is not going to be a head coach in the NFL, he is not going to be a cordinator in the NFL again, he will be lucky to be a line coach. He should find some small colleage that would be thrilled to have a former NFL guy and have a good life as a big fish in a small pond.

2. By GaryC on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

does anyone have Jordy Nelson in their fantasy pools, you would be doing very good, and for those who have Burress,oh well, I guess you could pay the bill.Burress and Mason, names to go down in infamy,At least it will run its course for just one year,thank goodness,then we can get serious and bring more youth with size and speed,

3. By Clarke W. Griswald on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

Frank you had mentioned on the previous article that you feel it would be a bad idea to make any big trades, or free agent signings. While I agree with you on Aso, I am very pleased we don’t have to foot that bill, I still think when you look at it realistically, there are just too many holes to fill on this team to do it through the draft. The Jets need 2 full time starting outside linebackers and arguably two safeties also, throw in an OT and a RB and well, you see where I’m going with this. Do you really think it’s possible to acquire two, full time starting OLB’s in the draft? Much less that, on top of everything else this team needs? I think they need to get one pass rusher in free agency. I, like you,don’t want them to trade away pics

4. By Howie D on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

I think MS should call his own plays at this point. He can’t do worst than Schotty. After 6 years I have zero faith in Schotty and MS might actually read the game better while in progress as opposed to trying those insipid scripted stuff that’s failing the team. I’ll bet MS would be much better in an old fashion school yard pick-up calling his own plays. Why not? What do we have to lose at this point?

5. By Howie D on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

Not sure about the details of Rex’s spat with the fan, but $75,000 seems extremely harsh, even for a millionaire. I don’t condone what he did, but if this was initiated by a fan inside the stadium, he has the right to reciprocate. Goodell needs some checks and balances. This should not be a dictatorship where he does as he wants. Who sets the criteria? How do you arrive at $75,000 for swearing? He’s gradually turning the NFL into a little sissy league. Many of his fine are ridiculously harsh and this is another example. I doubt seriously Rex would have been fined even a $1,000 in a real court of law. And what about the fan? Is there any penalty for the fan. Focus on the big picture and quit sweating the small stuff, Mr. Goodell.

6. By Karan on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

I have Nelson on my fantasy team, the guy is crazy good. Have him, Jennings who also is insanely good, have Cruz, Antonio Brown and Tone as the wideouts. I want to use to Tone more but he gets no good points because of our below average offense. How come all teams in the NFL have good coordinators or at least decent ones?? Even the bad ones are better than the one we have. We have the worst offensive coordinator in the NFL, hands down.

7. By Karan on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

The Jets need to win every single one of their remaining games to make the playoffs. If they lose even one, they’ll have a very small chance of making it and if we lose 2, forget about it, no playoffs and definetly should say bye-bye to Schottenheimer because we keep losing because of him. I hope the Jets will not be ready to let Mark go, he deserves a new OC, a new system in which he can thrive in.

8. By russ on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

Is it that hard to pressure the Quarterback? Is it that hard to protect our quarterback? what else is there?

9. By MiIKE on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

Easy on the safety talk. Leonard and Smith are great run defenders and do fine against the pass game. Rex’s blitz happy defence is what puts safeties against premier TE’s and 3rd and 4th string WR with no help over the top. They bring the house too many times. Nobody would question either of these guys if we had a decent pass rusher. Next years draft has to include a pass rusher and a right tackle.

10. By joe on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

Whether they beat Buffalo or not whether they win 5 out of the next 6 realistically we all know this team is no wear near good enough to go on the road and win 3 playoff games to get to the Superbowl (JUST TOO MANY HOLES).So being the good Jet fans that we are and have been since Super Bowl 3 we start talking about next year.History dictates that signing big dollar free agents doesnt work (SEE REDSKINS and Cowboys).What does work is building thru the draft (See Packers and Steelers)The following leads us to Mike T recent draft FAILURES.Mike you must get this one right (WE cant afford any more Clemens,Gholstons Wilsons or Duccastes or Sanchezs)Rex do us all a favor this offseason PLEASE learn from this year and keep quiet win first

11. By Howie D on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

I’d like to see Nick Bellore in the defensive mix. I’d liked what I saw in preseason, and he could add some much needed energy, especially rushing the QB.

12. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

Clarke, as NFL folks have said since at least mid-2010, we’re trying to groom a QB and win the SB at the same time, which almost nobody’s ever done. I think we need at least 5 of those 6 players: OT, 2 OLB, 2 S. We’ll be okay with the young RBs but we need another younger, faster WR to go with Holmes and Kerley and a pass rusher. So how do you get those guys before SH and Mangold get sick of a team with no scoring punch or Revis decides he wants $20 mil a game? I don’t think you do it with just the draft without facing the possibility that after 2-4 yrs of rebuilding, SH, NM, DR and others could be gone or past their prime. “A choice of cancer or polio,” as Mick and Keef said. (Well, not THAT bad, it’s only football…or rock ‘n’ roll…)

13. By Karan on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

I think the Jets will make the playoffs at 10-6. Heck, I hope they make it at 11-5 but I’m just being realistic. According to their schedule, they could be a 10-6 team, one of either Eagles, Giants or Dolphins will pose a problem for gang green, other than that, I think we can win every other single game on the schedule. Lets do this Jets!! It’s game-time. If we get in, and I really hope we do, all I can say is watch out from the Jets in the playoffs, we’ve already seen how they play in the postseason, and this time around, I think it’s time to take that next step.

14. By Joe Cinocca on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

The unexpected injuries definitely have done you zero favors. I’m just hoping some fresh faces step up to the plate and make some big plays. There’s plenty of football left to play and still possibilities of making the playoffs. Looking forward to the next few weeks.

15. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

The Hendrix song I was listening to today (“Still Raining, Still Dreaming”) pretty much sums up Rex’s press conference, sad to say. Eric Smith “has heart” (just like Leonhard, I guess) so all is well. “Is he perfect?”, Rex asks, as if such shallow nonsense is any reasonable way to approach a problem in any team, business, or organization. And he says we need to get back to holding teams to 14 pts so our pathetic O will, in that context, be good enough — as if you can game-plan to hold GB, NE, NO, etc. to 14. You heard it here first: This guy is too emotionally immature, too one-dimensional in his thinking, and too limited in his knowledge of the entire game. Anything can happen but I think the most likely thing is he’s gone within 2 yrs.

16. By IRA on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

It really is 1 game at a time. Its easy for us as fans to look at scenarios down the road but if they lose to the Bills it won’t matter whats ahead. After they started 2-3 i thought this had the taste of 2002 all over again. While the division is long gone its going to come down to the last week and hope that Cincy doesn’t end up tied with us or its lights out for the Jets. Nobody to blame but themsleves for this. It goes way back to some very ? moves before camp opened and camp this summer something just didn’t seem right. Team chemistry i put my finger on. The road to fix it is to start with a win vs the Bills this week which i think they will get.
    GO JETS!!!!

17. By IRA on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

Just to show you how out of whack the offense is just look at these projected #’s. Keller is on pace to finsh with 57 catches, Holmes 56, Plax 48, and Kerley 27. I had plax in for about 40 catches and Kerley at 25 before they got rid of Mason. Bot Holmes and Keller i had at 70 or so apiece. Now how is this possible when they have shifted their plans to be a more passing team? They have now rushed only 44% of their plays. Sometimes you fall behind and scrap gameplans you can’t help it. Clearly though this was the wrong way to go. Why mess with success that you had built the previous two years. To me most of the offense problems come down to the OL.

18. By Jersey Rich on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

Like Bart Said “No time to be feeling sorry for yourself” – so I’m taking all my Jets stuff back off of E-bay. My shrink says that I am probably well enough to watch another Jets game. GO JETS!!

19. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

Ira, I’m glad you shared your projections with us because they prove a couple of things (a) The strike hurt the O but every team had that problem (b) Injuries hurt the O but some have lost much bigger players (Charles, Cutler) than we have (What’s an “expected injury, ” Joe C?), and (c) We don’t really know what we’re doing on O. A QB with growing pains and an iffy OC would be a very tall order for the most O-savvy coach, for Rex it’s way too much. Howie D, no one dislikes Goodell’s stranglehold on power more than me but a HC cursing at a fan (at the half!) is not worthy of the NFL and in this case the fan didn’t even say anything particularly obnoxious. I can’t blame Goodell for acting firmly to keep football from becoming like wrestling.

20. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

The only thing I disagree with you about, Ira, is calling the O we had the last 2 yrs a “success.” We lost any number of games for the same reasons we’re losing them this yr — slow starts, lousy passing, killer interceptions, and of course the whole reason you lose games at all, lack of pts. And can we let go of 2 illusions that Rex keeps trying to sell? (a) That you can go all the way with a “ground and pound” O, whatever that is (We’ve also lost too many games by not running on 1st and goal), and (b) That we have the runners to run all that well. The O line was hurt and took a step back this yr but LT’s done as a runner, SG’s a work-in-progress, and McK, Conner, and Powell have barely gotten their feet wet. Boozer and Snell this ain’t!

21. By GaryC on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

thank you, Karan you are a wise lady to have Nelson,those who lambasted me early in the year saying Burress was better than Nelson,well, Nelson might be an all pro this year while Burress is on his last legs.

22. By GaryC on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

one other comment I made early in year was when I compared Shonn Greene to Mike Alstott.I said it was never wise to move up in draft because Greene wasn’t a game changer,and not worth giving an extra pick for,As a matter a fact right now he isn’t even as good as Alstott.he is not as good a pass catcher out of backfield and is more injury prone.and now people are looking to draft another stud running back, as if they had one before.

23. By GaryC on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

guys,it is not tannenbaum, he is going by what clinkscales is telling him when it comes to the draft, Maybe Tanny has to put his foot down about him and get him outta here before next years draft.Not to many all pros in the last few drafts.

24. By GaryC on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

Does Burress ever practice, for 3 million that isn’t chicken feed you would think at some time to help the offense and sanchez to get on the same page he would be out there.Of course personal issues are another matter,but with this offense as lousy as it has been some guys need to hone up a little bit.

25. By Frank on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

Ira as you well know I said it at the end of last season that two AFC Championships was “fools gold” that there were a lot of areas that needed to be addressed. However, as the lock out and the short offseason unfolded we all agreed the best strategy was to try and keep everyone. TanWoody and I believe with Rex hounding them and obsessed with everyone elses players have gone off track and turning over the roster too much. TanWoody has been lucky the last few years making some of these moves but you can’t keep catching lightening in the bottle. You can’t keep stock piling talent and expect it to work. Team means exactly that guys need to play together for extended periods of time to become a team and play together and accepting their roles.

26. By Frank on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

Clarke…you are a recent addition to this site. Ira, Spicer myself and a few others have been here since the beginning. I have been consistant in my belief and have repeatedly expressed my opinion and disdain for the constantly wheeling and dealing of TanWoody. The obsession with other teams players and lack of respect for the draft is disturbing. Look at all the successful franchises that have a winning tradition they all have one thing in common. They built their teams through the draft and added a few pieces here and there. Parcells changed the culture around here and started the great run we have been on over the last decade plus and he did it with the draft! and adding a few players Martin and Testaverde.

27. By Allan O'Dane on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

There’s a lot of the blame to go around for this Jets team. 1. letting go of J-Co big mistake he was our third down go to guy. 2. Not re-signing or at least convincing D-wood to stay. 3. When ryan clark was out there Jets should have gone after him. 4. Play calling from Schotty my 10yr old son can see what’s coming. 5. I beleive leadership is truly lacking on this team. 6. The defense does not close the show. Calvin Pace maybe a bit over-rated. 7. Special teams has been a letdown last couple of games. 8. Sanchez: Holds the ball to long..stares down his recievers..INT’s at the worst possible times..when he’s having a bad day instead of being angry (i.e.Brady) he looks like someone just stole his icecream. The Blame is across the board

28. By Allan O'Dane on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

I will give Sanchez the benefit of the doubt for now. He is in his 3rd yr now so he should be showing improvement. He started only 1yr in college. His first NFL season he was pegged in as a starter instead of sitting on the bench for 2-3yrs and learning from a true vet (i.e.frave-rodgers). With that, let’s see if the kid can turn it around. If not..back to the drawing board.

29. By THUNDER LIPS on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

I am going to bite my tongue until after the Buffalo game depending on the result. but i will say this — this offseason we need to get 2 OL, at least one safety, a true pass rusher, and a second quarterback to compete with Sanchez. no sense in going out and getting receivers if our QB stnks.

30. By logan on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

While reading the comments I’am always impressed by how astute most Jet fans are. Someone wrote how Boy Rookie is getting gun shy now (If he didn’t have enought problems) He is taking a beating because the O line cannot protect him, (and remember he is not the toughest guy in the world.) Now he is being coached to do a quick release instead of trying to fix the O line and give him some time. This is not his style as he has enought problems to deal with even if he has all day to pass.

31. By lou on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

All I can say is Eric Smith is no where near a starting safety. He is killing us. Very tough kid, but way too small,horrible on covering, especially tight ends, and makes too many bonehead plays.Brodney Poole should be getting more reps. And why did we get rid of LOWERY. He played very good safety position toward the end of last year. That move also hurt. And lets face it, Wayne Hunter gets beat way way too much.Also I have to bring up is they can be a very good screen team with L.T. and Mc Knight out of the backfield, but Shotty refuses to do this as much as he should.

32. By russ on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

we had a good run …we are ten players shy of another run…

33. By Tom Spicer on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

Lou, If Eric Smith is to small what does that make Jim Leonhard?

34. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

WAY too small, Spicer! (Leonhard.)

35. By joe on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

As far as iam concerned Mile T has the final say on draft issues (he SHOULD KNOW whether the head of scouting is correct or not )Some of his recent picks defey logic Duccasse a guard in the 2nd round from a D2 school.Guards are almost NEVER picked that high for a reason =MANY available in later rounds Second round picks are so valuable to take a guard that player better be the second coming of Larry Allen.Kyle Wilson in the first round out of a WAC School.Very rarely do you see WAC players drafted this high because the confrence is terrible (BAD COMPETING AGAINST BAD )

36. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

Good pts about small schools, joe. While I think Wilson has shown great progress this yr and Ducasse shouldn’t be written off yet, I don’t understand the way this team avoids picks from bigger schools either. Didn’t somebody (Ira, GaryC, Mike Jet Vet?) once say it has to do with $? Spicer, re your pt about Sanchez throwing long and particularly to Edwards, yes, it’s not a falsely recovered memory, it happened. The problem is that when MS was throwing more accurately long, the occasional bomb to BE, like in the IND playoff game, looked that much better. This yr his throwing to everyone everywhere has been generally erratic, so maybe Schotty and Rex just don’t have confidence he can throw long (though a long INT on 3rd’s the same as a punt).

37. By GaryC on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

Speaking of the draft and wide receivers, Sanu of Rutgers is a junior and might forego his senior year, he is 6’2 around 215. with Ray Rice and Kenny Britt along with Westermann, the jets cannot overlook this guy seeing that he is right under their nose.Rutgers has been putting out talent,also Leonard the back who was selected by the Bengals.Let’s wake up, finally.

38. By GaryC on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

I don’t believe it is about money concerning the school, it is where your drafted, and now with the new collective bargaining all college draftees are going to have to earn their pay.

39. By kleckofan on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

I reiterate, Tanny has no personnel analysis experience. He served as an assistant under Belichick in Cleveland (how’d that work out?) and was an intern w the Saints while in law school. He becomes our contract guru and then suddenly is our GM. I may be prejudiced, but I have a problem w guys who never played a down making personnel decisions (I don’t even like to listen to Mussberger for the same reason). Give me Ozzie Newsome who was long on playing experience and short on administrative skills. Show me the right guy then have an attorney get the right price, not vice versa. Agree that we are enamored w other teams’ players. Can Tanny or demote him and can Schotty.

40. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

Totally agree, kleckofan, I know there’s a place for the lawyers and accountants but if I ran a team, most of the jobs would be filled by guys who played the game.

41. By joe on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

You guys want to laugh if a guy off the street who knew absolutely nothing about drafting college players went to a magazine store 10 minutes before the draft and bought a Mel Kipper guide ect and followed it they would do better than the Jets have done the past 4 years.This year for example the kid from Denver has more sacks in a game than our two D lineman drafted in the first 3 rounds have for the year.Didnt Rex tell us at the start of the year that they were going to be twoterrors.Wait iam sorry Rex tells us alot of things at the start of the year.

42. By GaryC on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

To Joe, that is why I said we could put a braintrust of Jet Posters together and pick a draft as good as the jets have been doing.And they spend millions and all we have to do is watch saturday games and listen to Lee Corso and Kirk Herbstreit.

43. By joe on Nov 24, 2011 | Reply

Gary its crazy but if a someone bouight a Street and Smiths or a Sporting News Draft Guide they would easily do better than the Jets have done for years.Doesnt Mr Johnson wonder what these guys are doing with his money.