• Tue., Oct. 21, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Extra Point - Only on SNY

• Wed., Oct. 22, 2014 2:15 PM - 2:30 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Wed., Oct. 22, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

• Thu., Oct. 23, 2014 2:00 PM - 2:15 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the meda following practice.
  • Thu., Oct. 23, 2014 3:30 PM EDT Live Press Conference: Coordinators Jets Coordinators Thomas McGaughey, Marty Mornhinweg, Dennis Thurman will address the media.
  • Thu., Oct. 23, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Fri., Oct. 24, 2014 1:25 PM - 1:40 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Fri., Oct. 24, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Sat., Oct. 25, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

Sanchez in Running for This Week’s NFL ‘Moment’

Posted by jetsstaff on November 29, 2011 – 11:53 am

Mark Sanchez is up for one of the NFL’s weekly awards this week, along with one of the quarterbacks he and the Jets lost to this season ad one of the QBs he and the Jets defeated.

Sanchez orchestrated the 12-play, 82-yard drive that concluded with the QB’s rollout TD strike to WR Santonio Holmes in the end zone with 1:01 to play, giving the Jets the 28-24 lead they didn’t lose in their home victory over the Bills.

On the march, Sanchez completed six of eight passes for 61 yards, with four of the completions going for first downs and two — 12 yards to Patrick Turner to the Bills 35, then 18 yards to Plaxico Burress with his leaping one-hand grab to the Bills 18 — converting third downs.

The award is the Never Say Never Moment of the Week and fans can click here to vote for their favorite “moment” from now through Friday at noon ET.

Sanchez’s competitors for this award are Tim Tebow, who rallied the Broncos past the Chargers in overtime on Sunday, and Tony Romo, who guided the Cowboys to Dan Bailey’s game-winning field goal over the Dolphins as time expired on Thanksgiving Day.

Tags: , , , , ,
Posted in Jets Staff | 35 Comments »

35 Responses to “Sanchez in Running for This Week’s NFL ‘Moment’”

1. By Tom Spicer on Nov 29, 2011 | Reply

Mark should win this no doubt he had the game winning TD with a minute left. Romo only lead them to a field goal & the Broncos are winning because of a SICK defense not because of Tebow.

2. By IRA on Nov 29, 2011 | Reply

Tom,
    Don’t take anything away from Tebow. He did it to us and others. Funny how he hit Rosario again vs SD like he connected with him vs us. Taking everything into consideration Sanchez still deserves the award. Lets hope he plays good for 4 QT’s this week and doesn’t need another come from behind drive.

3. By davetharave on Nov 29, 2011 | Reply

How could we have lost to the Broncos ?!?!

4. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Nov 29, 2011 | Reply

I’ll vote for Sanchez on this one, let’s give credit where credit is due. But there’s another “moment” that’s not pleasing me: Cimini reports that some FO bigwig saw Cook in the weight room allegedly slacking off a bit and ordered him canned. Can this nonsense possibly be true? We already have just about the worst S guys in the league, lost Lowery, Coleman, and Digs without adding anyone but the hapless Strickland, and now some non-player/non-coach comes by like Marie Antoinette and says let them eat DBs? There’s something really screwy about decisions like those on Clowney, Woodhead, maybe J-Co and Edwards, and certainly this, and I notice that Rex isn’t “man enough” to offer anything but evasive spin on the story. Same old goofy Jets FO!

5. By GaryC on Nov 29, 2011 | Reply

Mark Sanchez asks this question, what do calvin johnson, andre johnson,larry fitzgerald,julio jones,a.j. green,jordy nelson,mike wallace and vincent jackson all have in common.Answer:They all are receivers with speed and physical ability that opposing teams have to be wary of which we are lacking.

6. By Hans on Nov 29, 2011 | Reply

Tom I wouldn’t clump Clowney in with Woodhead, J-Co and Braylon. I was never really sold on him.

7. By Allan O'Dane on Nov 29, 2011 | Reply

I agree with Jet Fan ’64. Clowney was in westy’s doghouse since day one. Woodhead..HUGE..HUGE mistake letting this kid go, showed more heart and guts then certain players I won’t mention (cro). Sanchez had a sync with Edwards and J-co you saw starting to develop. Why in the world would you want to break that up?. To help a young quarterback you have to let him gell with his recievers for a couple of years. See Dalton and Green. Our safties can’t handle speed guys and can’t cover tightends. I like Digs..but for some reason I think he always wanted to be NE. I tell you what..Rex changed the culture around the Jets..but slowly we are going back to the same ol’ jets after each game. And true jet fans know exactly what I am talking about.

8. By Jimmer on Nov 29, 2011 | Reply

Good QB’s do not get mentioned when they make that drive. It’s actually an insult to Sanchez in my eyes. There were 2 incredible catches, and a schoolyard play for the TD. I’m really starting to think we chose the wrong FA WR. BE stretched the field, had size & power to get the ball. Sanchez keeps trying to force the ball to Holmes, and keeps getting intercepted. Holmes is good and all, but he’s too small to force the ball to. BE would be here for half the price of Holmes. We might have been able to afford someone on defense that can stop a TE.

9. By GaryC on Nov 29, 2011 | Reply

jet fan tom, are you saying the jets have stoolies in the clubhouse, then send them out to the bushes and try to find some college talent,if they can be that good of snoops then maybe they can be college scouts.

10. By russ on Nov 29, 2011 | Reply

too many posers on this team, Mulligan, Smith, Ducasse, Hunteretc who are not gonna win you anything…..The DL should be on dancing with the stars cause they never let go of their partner to get a sack…Sanchez has the least time in pocket of any quarterback in NFL …

11. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Nov 29, 2011 | Reply

…all of whom Sanchez, Schotty, and Rex would quickly reduce to 13-yd-avg WRs, GaryC. There was nothing wrong with Holmes’ speed last yr when he won all those games in a row for us because MS was able to get the ball to him and he simply outran the secondaries, and if Plax didn’t display physical ability on Sunday, I don’t know who the heck did. And Kerley looks really fast on these 2-yd passes that MS struggles to complete to him, I cant wait to see what happens when they’re, say, 7-yd passes. This is one of your stranger posts, something I’d expect from the Sanchez sheep, not from someone as informed as you.

12. By westcoastJET28+ on Nov 29, 2011 | Reply

Give Tebow credit!? Are you seriously??? I give credit where credit is due. The only reason Tebow has had any success, is because his D keeps games close. If DEN had a lousy D, Tebow would be completely insignificant. He is an atrocious QB period, but, a great H-back. R. Brown all over again.

13. By scjoe on Nov 29, 2011 | Reply

The wishy washyness of some of these posts lately is just plain comical.

14. By IRA on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

dave,
    How did we lose to Denver? Try not playing for 60 min plus mistakes. That game was one of the most inexcusable losses they have ever had.

15. By GaryC on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

jet fan tom, you continue to overrate the abilities of Burress and Holmes,seeing that the steelers continue to win without both I guess they knew what they were doing, You continue to scrutinize Sanchez, what about holmes and burress making sharper cuts to prevent the defensive backs from undercutting them,I saw burress drop at least 2 passes which he could of caught.Looks to me that you are on board to give Plastico a new two year deal and no he is isn’t accepting a 3rd or 4th receiver position.I guarantee you if Sanchez had any of those receivers that I previously posted he would have more success,Shotty not withstanding.

16. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

Stoolies? No, GaryC, I’m saying just about every time Rex opens his mouth, I’m prepared to believe the opposite of what he says — Cook was cut because “Tracy Wilson is one of the hardest-working guys on this team,” right. What Rex is “man enough” for is making excuses for some FO hack, I’ll be glad when this illusion that he’s the HC we need is a distant memory. As for the Steelers, they not only had great WRs even without Holmes and J-Co, they have a QB who’s indestructible in the pocket and can make any throw of any kind at any time, including IN THE 1ST QTR! Our QB doesn’t quite measure up to that and wouldn’t if our WR corps was Alworth, Warren Wells, and Otis Taylor in their primes — and that’s picking just from the 1968 AFC West.

17. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

And by the way, GaryC, if you’re up for a really good laugh, picture this: Mr T calling up Fitzgerald, Jackson, either Johnson, or any other WR better than Clowney and saying, “You know, we have this tremendous QB named Mark Sanchez but these lousy WRs we have named Santonio Holmes and Plaxico Burress just don’t have good enough hands or run sharp enough routes to bring out his enormous gifts, would you consider coming here and taking their places?” Or maybe you haven’t noticed that Sanchez has been named by NFL players as the most overrated player in the league for each of his 3 yrs. Hans, I don’t say Clowney was great, I say the way he was let go, reclaimed, and then let go again was ridiculous.

18. By GaryC on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

jet fan tom, if a guy who has won four playoff games in his first two years is overrated I will take it. Your Favorite, his majesty Favre, won one super bowl in all his years and choked in many others,and took the dive for Strahan to give him the sack record,I will give Sanchez a little more time,and hope you are right about shotty being considered for the Jacksonville job.

19. By Gregory Beaumont on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

Let’s be honest. We were very lucky to win that game. It could have easily been another Denver, then all the chat would have been different. I still say we should try more trick PLAYS and an occassional pass OVER 30 YARDS!!

I am not saying do trick plays all the time, but at least once every other game.

And when was the the last time we tried a pass over 30 yards, other than when we were on the 50 with like 5 seconds left? And we can’t figure out why Sanchez gets intercepted so much!!

20. By Charliejet on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

Hey tom 64 remember when Otis Taylor went after Ben Davison? (The Ndamukong Suh of his day). Now that is when rivalries were rivalries Chiefs/Raiders or Jets/Raiders. You reminded me of that when you mentioned the 68′ west coast
    WR corps…Alworth, Warren Wells, and Otis Taylor and of course Don Maynard.

21. By GaryC on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

jet fan tom, and those receivers would say, yes, I see those same problems with those two receivers, and I would make sanchez a better quarterback with my abilities.

22. By Tom Spicer on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

Gregory Beaumont , Only 8 QBS that have started every game have less picks than Mark so if has alot of picks THE WHOLE NFL HAS ALOT OF PICKS.!

23. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

GaryC, DREAM ON if you think ANY of those WRs would EVER play for THIS Jet O! What they’re more likely doing right now is asking Holmes and Burress why this team has all this talent and one of the weakest O’s in the NFL. I’ll give MS a little more time because I don’t believe much in switching QBs in the middle of the yr, but next yr he needs pressure from someone other than Brunell. Also Favre’s not my favorite and QBs don’t win or lose games all by themselves, but an elite QB sure does help. Charliejet, Taylor was one tough WR, that’s for sure. Greg B, I appreciate your honesty, even if some on this site read that word as heresy.

24. By joeyjet27 on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

Mark Sanchez needs to do is stop pouting when things don’t go the way they where planed ( Shotty ).
    Fans pickup on a players attitude, and the kid needs to work to change it.
    He is the key of how the offense runs, he know the play not the defense, act the part. The fans boo because they can, they will follow when they see your the man. Trust me I sat there for 30 years.
    Last time I looked its still a game not a science experiment ( Shotty ).
    Once Mark learns he controls the pace of the offense, and doesn’t have to follow the called play every time.

25. By STAYLOADED on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

Listen,All you Sanchez Lovers,If he can go into those Playoff games and play so good, Then Why? in the World isn’t he not playing to those Standards for all these games. Why do we have to be sitting on pins and needles to see if he is going to play well. If he was a good QB he would be threading the needle like all the good QB’s do. Brady,Brees Etc… The Jets have the weapons use them, the opposing teams know he can’t throw the ball. and as I said a few times, Rex shut your mouth and play football, Playoffs /Super Bowl, you couldn’t beat Denver and you came close with the Bills. Luck yes, I give you that, Just Play Ball

26. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

Nice try, Spice, but Sanchez also has fewer attempts than even some guys who’ve thrown less INTs. But again, the problem is your selective look at certain stats to stave off that brief glimpse of the truth that you had after the DEN game when you admitted to defending MS “tooth and nail” but then wondered if he’s not the guy. I got some advice for you: Try just watching the game, seeing if we win, and then considering whether the guys we got are doing their job or not instead of seeing it as YOUR job to defend or not defend them. I don’t get why someone who’s been rooting for the team so long finds it so hard to do that. There’s not much % in getting too emotionally invested in any one player if what you really want is a SB-winning team.

27. By Play like a JET on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

Message to Mark Sanchez and Jets: Don’t be deterred or effected by mindless booing & fanaticism. It is what it is & nothing more. As a fan of the game and both a rational person, I know enough to not profess my football expertice. Stay focused, keep growing. You have done quite a bit in your short history as a unit & the best is in front of you. Remember the goal & every step needed to get there. It’s not about pressure. It’s about focus & being in the zone. The “zone” in my opinion is being fundamentally sound consistently. You do that by reverting to the lessons learned in real time or faster, & reacting simultaneously. Utilize the coaching in combination with the talent you were born with. The SB is in front of you, go get it.

28. By Gregory Beaumont on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

Tom Spicer, The point I am trying to make is that the play calling is horrible.
    Schotty needs to wake up. Why do we NEVER have him throw a pass more the 30 yards. The whole rest of the NFL QBs all throw a few way down the field!! And they do try trick plays like the fake field goal the Saints did the other night. The Jets need to stop playing conservatively and take some chances.
    I have been a Jet’s fan since the 60s and I truly want to see them really start outright winning some games.

29. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

I’m with you, Gregory, and I wouldn’t be surprised if Spicer is to some extent, too. But as a somewhat reformed Schotty critic, I have to say that at this pt our O is so timid and vanilla that it really can’t just be about Schotty’s imagination. I’d love to be a fly on the wall for a talk between Schotty and Moore about how to get this O into high gear, so I better go read that story on Moore that just came on the site.

30. By Tom Spicer on Dec 2, 2011 | Reply

Tom 64, The advice you are giving me is the advice you should be taking yourself. I come to this site & talk about every player who does bad when they do bad. But you single out the QB & only the QB. You are the pot calling the kettle black. You refuse to accept the fact that the O line is significantly worse than last year Hunter is not a starting tackle he is getting Mark crushed every game, Brick has played sub par (you always say Mark was not worth the 5th pick WELL HELLO than Brick was not worth the 6th pick) Brick got his but handed to him vs the Pats & the Broncos. Also Mangold being out 3 games has hurt Mark but you refuse to admit that. You also refuse to admit that 2 of our 3 WRS are significantly worse than last year which is

31. By Tom Spicer on Dec 2, 2011 | Reply

hurting the QB. You also refuse to admit the fact that we have ZERO threat of a running game is hurting the QB Greene has rushed for more than 80 yards 1 time in 11 games HE STINKS! Teams are saying the Jets can not run the ball double Holmes with saftey help over the top & take away Keller over the middle & that leaves slow foot Plax to beat us. He can not beat us deep so we will give him the short stuff. The D that has giving up 21 points or more in 7 of 11 games & 30 or more in 5 of 11 games that is supposed to be good. Finally Schotty which alot of guys did not like prior to Mark coming here still somehow magically has a job. So while I call it like I see it YOU blame one person look at everything then talk!

32. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 2, 2011 | Reply

Spicer, you need to read more carefully or take notes. I said LAST YEAR that the OL wasn’t always protecting Sanchez that well, and I said it again early this yr. And the WR thing is more complicated than you make it sound. J-Co may’ve been better last yr than Kerley is this yr but you gotta work in new guys sometime and I’ll bet you Kerley becomes more of an impact player than J-Co ever was. Plax may not be as good overall as Edwards but he’s the best red zone WR we’ve had in a LONG time, with his height even better than Holmes. I focus on MS a lot for the same reason I do Rex and Schotty — you won’t go anywhere with a sub-par QB, HC, or OC. That’s why it wouldn’t bother me to lose one of ‘em in ’12 — again, you gotta start somewhere!

33. By Tom Spicer on Dec 2, 2011 | Reply

I dont think that getting rid of Rex or Mark is the answer as far as Rex I think he is a great D guy. To me he is doing less with more he is schemeing his way to a good D. We have 1 great player on D Revis meanwhile the other top D’s like the Ravens have 4 great players (Lewis, Reed, Ngata & Suggs) & Pitt (has Polumalu, Harrsion & Woodley). He is doing alot with a little & I think the front office really blew it this off season with Woody, Braylon & Cotchery. Which to me has hurt the QB so I am not ready to give up on Mark. But Schotty to me has not done well NO matter who was on the O line, Who was the QB & who were the WRS.

34. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 2, 2011 | Reply

Well, Spicer, boiling your last post down to its essence, it sounds like you’re saying it’s too early to give up on Sanchez, Rex needs to grow his game by learning to take over the O, and it wouldn’t kill you to see Schotty fired. I got no problem with any of that!

35. By john ski on Dec 4, 2011 | Reply

Here here!! You guys are right on the money….