Tomlinson, Kerley ‘Look Fresh and Ready to Roll’

Posted by Randy Lange on November 30, 2011 – 4:22 pm

Updated, 5:54 p.m. ET

In the knee joint, the Jets took one step back and two steps ahead today.

DT Mike DeVito did not practice at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center, and head coach Rex Ryan’s prognosis remained the same for MDV as it was Monday: “It doesn’t look good for him this week.”

But RB LaDainian Tomlinson and WR Jeremy Kerley, who both came out of Game 9 vs. New England with knee issues that kept them sidelined the next two games, are looking better for a return to action Sunday at Washington.

“I think LT and Kerley looked really, really good to me out there,” Ryan said at his daily news conference. “They looked fresh and ready to roll. That’s a good sign.”

It would be hard statistically to show what the absence of these two players, one venerable veteran, one promising rookie, did to the Jets’ offensive attack. In the last two games the Jets have averaged 110.5 rushing yards compared to a 119.8 figure for the previous five, but that might be attributed partly to Shonn Greene’s sore ribcage. Total-yardage-wise, the average of the first nine games (314.1) is almost identical to the average of the last two (318.0).

But that wouldn’t tell the whole story. Kerley added an element of excitement as the slot receiver and as the improving punt returner. Tomlinson’s pregame fire and in-game contributions are considerable. Perhaps the best thing to be said is that with Patrick Turner emerging in the passing game and Joe McKnight getting more reps behind Greene for LT, if those two return to the lineup it can only help Mark Sanchez and the offense.

“To have Kerley back would be awesome this week. He’s working hard, he got reps in practice today and stuff so it’s looking good, but we’ll see,” Sanchez said in front of his locker. “Same thing with LT. He just provides us one other great perspective, somebody who has been in positions like this, somebody who knows what crunch-time games are like and somebody that has great hands out of the backfield and can run the rock. So it’s big for us.”

And if the Jets can get all hands on deck Sunday at FedEx Field, that will help them in their quest to keep winning these one-game seasons in front of them from now through the end of the regular season.

Plax, Stevie and the Red Zone

WR Plaxico Burress continued to take the high road regarding Bills WR Stevie Johnson, who Associated Press reports was fined $10,000 by the NFL for his post-TD celebration that included him “shooting” himself in the thigh, a reference to Burress’ gun-violation issues of the previous two years.

“I don’t have a problem with Stevie at all,” Burress said. “He’s a very charismatic guy with his celebrations and he’s just trying to have fun. I think he’ll continue to grow as a person.”

Burress continues to pose a threat for anyone trying to cover him in the red zone. With his 14-yard second-quarter scoring catch from Sanchez vs. the Bills, Plax now has six catches inside the opponents’ 20, which is tied in the NFL for the most among wideouts this season with Detroit’s Calvin Johnson and New England’s Wes Welker.

Which segues nicely into this note: The Jets have risen to second in the NFL in the red zone benchmark measure of TD percentage. All four touchdowns Sunday vs. the Bills were RZ scores, giving the Jets 23 TDs in 35 forays inside the opponents’ 20, a 65.7 percent rate that trails only Tennessee (17-for-24, 70.8).

Washington’s Health

The Redskins have 11 players on their initial injury report of the week. Four starters did not practice — LB London Fletcher (ankle), S LaRon Landry (groin), DE Stephen Bowen (knee) and FB Darrel Young (head). Three more were limited during team drills, including two starters — LB Brian Orakpo (ankle) and RT Jammal Brown (hip). Among the four full-go ‘Skins was QB Rex Grossman (left shoulder).

Chester McGlockton Dead at 42

A sad note today: Chester McGlockton, 42, the four-time Pro Bowl D-lineman who spent the last season of his 12-year playing career with the Jets in 2003, has died, according to the Fayetteville Observer’s Web site.

McGlockton, in his second season as a defensive assistant at Stanford, was reported to have awoken at his home in San Ramon, Calif., this morning experiencing shortness of breath and then an apparent heart attack.

Tags: , , , , , ,

42 Responses to “Tomlinson, Kerley ‘Look Fresh and Ready to Roll’”

1. By Karan on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

Great to see Kerley and Tomlinson getting healthy. These guys are really good weapons in our offense.

2. By Tom Spicer on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

Brain Orakpo & Ryan Kerrigan this week what is the over & the under for sacks for the week with our O line I have to think it is at least 3.

3. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

For those who think I never say anything good about Sanchez anymore — though I said plenty good about him his 1st 2 yrs and just now said I’d keep him before I’d keep Rex — I’ll say the red zone improvement this yr is great. But I’ll also say that our problems remain (1) Not getting into the red zone enough to dominate other teams offensively (2) Not getting into it enough vs. teams better than a banged-up BUF, and (3) Not getting into it early enough to keep the D from having to carry the team for most of every game. Winning the big one requires excellence on many levels, so pointing to only one or two aspects of our game won’t quite do it. And to win the big one, you gotta dispose of the lesser teams more consistently than we do now.

4. By TONY GARCIA on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

1 game at a time jet fan since 1969.

5. By IRA on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

Condolences to the McGlockton family what a shame. Waay too young.
    The Jets haven’t had a RZ threat like Plax since Chrebet who had 9 RZ TD’s in 02. That was such a great year especially with the coming out year Chad had.
    Randy, Have to agree that getting Kerley back will make a difference. He was starting to get comfortable with Sanchez and of course getting LT back will keep teams on their toes.
    I just hope they have a lot of screens, draws and delays ready for the Redskins this week. And lets hope they can run the ball and not put Sanchez in obvious passing situations where the Redskins can tee off on him.
    Jets get three picks this week they are due.
    Jets 23 – Redskins 17

6. By uncle joe on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

Yeah,just like the last two seasons,bad losses,even worse wins, squeak into the playoffs and do damage. We seen this movie before. Our team only plays great when our backs are against the wall. This Sunday will be a nail biter too!

7. By uncle joe on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

Sanchez only plays well at the end of games AND seasons which is fine with me. We peak in a few weeks, maybe after the Philly game and then hit our stride for the P{layoffs. Till then I’ll take 3 close, disgusting wins over bad teams the next few weeks.

8. By uncle joe on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

Wouldn’t it be Nutty if by some strange miracle, the Packers go undefeated heading into the Superbowl and the only thing in their way would be a New York Team, with Plaxico Burress on it! If I were the Jets I would sign David Tyree just for kicks!

9. By Frank on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

Continuing with all you Sanchise-Not apologists who want to keep throwing out garbage stats this is the reality. Our defense who spends a lot of time on the field because Sanchise-Not can’t sustain drives and win the TOP battle ASTOUNDINGLY was still ranked #1-2009, #3-2010 and #8-2011 during Sanchise-Not’s tenure!!!!!!! Sanchise-Not during that stretch is #28-2009, #27-2010 and now #19-2011. I will bet the Jets have a set a record for most wins with such lousy QB play during that stretch! In the new system called the Total QB Rating being employed this year he is ranked 30th! even worse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Brady and the Pats are winning the division with the worst ranked defense in the NFL!!!!!!! The team wins INSPITE of him!

10. By IRA on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

If the Jets don’t win out and they go 10-6 with the loss coming from an NFC team provided they end up tied with Cincy at 10-6 for the last WC here is why the Jets would get the tiebreaker if Cincy losses to Pitt and Balt. The tiebreaker would come down to best won/loss % in common games min of 4. Cincy would be 1-3 vs Den, Balt and Buff and the Jets would be 2-2 vs Den, Buff and Balt. Thats of course if Den or Oak doesn’t end up tied at 10-6 too. With all that said just win out and they are in.
    GO JETS!!!!

11. By Hassan on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

R.I.P. Chester McGlockton aKa Big Chester. In my early years of watching football, it was a real treat identifying how Chester would time a QB’s snap count, explode past o-lineman who were still in their “ready” stance and sack the QB. He was definitely a solid DT.

12. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

Yes, TONY GARCIA, and one year at a time — and if you don’t see enough progress year to year, you gotta be a loser to just sit there and keep dreaming, making excuses, talking about “luck…”

13. By Tom Spicer on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

Frank, Please tell me where you look up that total QB rating cause I would love to see it? What you are saying can not be possible & I will tell you why. QB rating on the NFL site does not count rushing TDS & Mark has 3 & it does not count rushing yards for a QB. QB rating the number 1 category is completion percentage. Factor in Marks rushing yards & TDS & he has to be ranked higher not lower.

14. By Karan on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

Be patient Jet Fan Since ’64.

15. By logan on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

Lets face facts the Jets are sorely deficent in several areas the most glaring being Quaterback as this is such an important postion This is not a playoff team now the first elite team the meet will shred them. Cook was cut because they either detected, or imagined the detected some quit in him.

16. By dougmc on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

Sanchez did not lose the 5 games the Jets lost this year all by himself. He was critical to them winning 2 of the 5 they won. We could do a lot worse at the QB position and he may not be a top five QB but he has a good skill set and with the D playing better and the O-line and Receivers and Backs stepping up we will finish the year strong. Denver and Cincy will lose and we will get into playoffs. “Mark” my words…
    J——E——T——S…JETS…JETS…JETS…!!!

17. By Scott T. on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

Frank, I don’t think anyone would disagree with you that Sanchez needs to continue to get better. He has not been great this year, but there are lots of reasons for it. Lots of reasons for the number of losses we have too. OL, New Receiving CORE, Defense blowing 4th quarter leads multipIe games. I just think you need to give the kid more time. I mean these first two years the team has overachieved with him. Most teams with rookie QB’s do not make the playoffs let alone make it to the championship round…. Just give the kid more time. I don’t know if anyone remembers this, but remember QB’s use to have a 5 years plan???? Not to mention most NFL QB’s play more than 1 year in college.

18. By Scott T. on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

On to the news about Kerley and LT coming back. I think it is huge. We have seriously been missing those two on third down conversions. I expect our O to stay on the field longer with those two back. Also we won’t have to sweat out punt returns anymore!!! THANK GOD!!!!

I expect us to take care of business this week. The only thing I’m worried about is HUNTER playing well. The redskins have a good pass rush, and that could be an issue. I do feel as though our defense will have a great game. I mean the redskins really have no weapons on offense. GO JETS!!!!

19. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

You already told me to be patient, Karan, and Hans already told you we’ve been patient. But my instinct isn’t just to sit around and trust that Front Office Santa Claus knows who’s been good and who hasn’t, it’s to get down to work and figure out what might be done to win games. Nothing I can do about Jet personnel decisions anyway, so I may as well try to think of moves we might make to improve the team. Meanwhile, why don’t you lock horns with logan here, who makes the simple, indisputable pt that you need a great QB to be a great team and right now we have neither. logan, you may be right about Cook but my view is 11 games in when we’ve got so many problems at S, including an injury to Pool, it seems like an unnecessarily hasty move.

20. By uncle joe on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

Hate on the Sanchize all you want people, but if he has proven anything in his short 2 & a half year career it’s that at the end of the game or the end of the season he steps up. I still go back to last years Pitt Playoff game, if the D held on and put the ball back in Sanchez’ hand he would of scored.

21. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

Sorry to hear about Big Chester, he was a solid player and a class guy. Spicer, I think you can see that newfangled QB rating on the NFL website. Scott T., part of the problem is that the 5-yr QB learning curve doesn’t really seem to apply anymore. In this decade, guys like Brady and Ben R smashed that and now the goal seems to be more like 2-3 yrs. That’s probably partly because everything in pro sports is so much more hyped up these days. Probably also has to do with the big stage in New York sports. But it’s DEFINITELY the case with the Jets because our foolish coach started predicting SB wins from Day One. When we drafted Sanchez, I thought that meant we were gonna rebuild with him, not put him under the gun ASAP. Shows what I know…

22. By Clarke W. Griswald on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

I agree with Scott T. in that, having Kerley and L.T. back, is huge for the offense. I know Kerley is a rookie and hasn’t had a chance to really prove much, yet. I think he can become our Welker. I’m looking forward to one day buying me a # 11 Jerry curl jersey.

23. By logan on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

I dont’t no why everyone is dragging out stats to defend Boy Rookie just wacth the game, anyone can see he is not a good Quarterback. Maybe if the didn’t turn the team over to a 22 year old kid and gave him some competion and had a coach that wasn’t afraid to sit hom down for a quater he would have developed. He just gets worse every year

24. By Tom Spicer on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

I am taking bets who wants to bet me the Jet O line give up at least 3 sacks this week. I start all of my posts saying what ever you want me to say & I want you to start all of your posts by saying Mark is a good QB. Do we have a deal?

25. By Howie D on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

Giving up on Sanchez at this point would be a big mistake. He’s poised when it matters and knows how to win the big games. That’s a rare quality that even highly skilled QBs don’t have. Yes, he needs to be more accurate and do some basic things better, but he’s handicapped by Matt and Schotty. He’ll surprise a lot of the doubters if he ends up with a better QB coach and OC. Crazy as this may sound, I say we bring back Chad Pennington as the new QB coach.

26. By Karan on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

I didn’t ask for a lecture Jet fan 64! hahaa, I’m just saying don’t worry, the Jets time will come.

27. By Karan on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

I agree uncle joe, Mark would have def scored if we got the ball back in Pitt. I’m still not over that game, the D played terrible the first half, but they did get it together later. That goal line drive we had where Schotty called LT to run in against the Steeler defense and when we used 2 pass plays, iI don’t understand why not take the initiative to use Greene, it was really irritating, but what happened in the past happened, can’t change it. :/, still upsetting though huh?

28. By Tom Spicer on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

Karan, Great point Schotty our great OC we are down 24 to zip at Pitt the D gets run over for 180 rushing yards vs them. We rush for a whopping a 35 yards but Mark leads us back anyway throw for 250 & 2 TDS. To lead us all the way back vs the Steelers in Pittsburgh in like minus 35 with the wind chill. We have the ball on the 2 yard line 1st & goal to go to tie the game late in the 4th quarter. He runs Greene on first down 2nd & goal from the 1. You have 3 plays to get 1 yard YOU HAND THE BALL 3 TIMES IN A ROW TO GREENE IF WE CANT GET 1 YARD WE DONT DESERVE TO GO TO THE BOWL. Instead Schotty throws it 2 times now its 4th down & he brings in the small back LT to run it in. WHAT THE HELL WAS HE DOING!

29. By scjoe on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

Ira, to many if”s! Bottom line, IF they play the way they have played the past few weeks they have no chance, 0, zilch! At Wash, At Philly, At Miami, and home with the Giants will be extremely difficult based on how they have played the past few weeks. Optimism is great, but reality supersedes it every time.

30. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

I don’t mean to lecture, Karan, but calling people names to their faces or asking them to root for another team because you don’t like what they’re saying is one of the few things that will get me on my high horse. And it actually has to do with my feeling for the players as much as anything else. Anybody can say whatever they want about anybody but I don’t want people who, for example, said we should stick with McKnight last yr to be banished from the site, they may have other good ideas, too. I’ll try not too worry too much about when the Jets’ time will come, but it makes me feel better to at least suggest things I think they should do to make that time come sooner — like, maybe during my lifetime…

31. By scjoe on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

Karan, from earlier post, I see your point about Sanchez playing well at crunch time, late in the 4th quarter etc. I really do. But what you have to understand is those heart wrenching, nail biting fantastic finishes would not have been necessary had he played better early in those games. His track record for slow starts, and by slow starts I mean the entire first half in many cases, is simply horrendous. Eliminate those slow starts and most of those wins would be simply running the ball and running out the clock in the 4th quarter as opposed to those fantastic finishes. It is no coincidence there have been that many slow starts, there is a problem, and he is the QB.

32. By TONY GARCIA on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

Tony Garcia replying to jet fan since 1964.This year will take care of the waiting for change.If you have read previous comments 8-8,9-7,& maybe 10-6 was my prediction for finish for season.Wild card from AFC north.Change in coaching staff will occur.Jet fan since 1969.

33. By cgb on Dec 2, 2011 | Reply

The jets need to play better in al 3 phases of the game thats how the jets win. Still trying to find their identity on offense. I think there is a good chance this week will be the start of good things to happen. screens , misdirection plays, running greene, Lt, mcnight, holmes, and kerly will help keep redskins defense off balance.Sustaining drives is key once again. Defense needs to stop the run. If we can do that we have a good chance to dominate on D. we really need help in the safety position. Especially in the deep zone coverages we do not have any play makers on the roster to fill this need. I sure wish we would have kept lowery. If joe mcnight wasn’t plating so much offense and ST we could use him in deep zone coverages.

34. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 2, 2011 | Reply

I hope you’re right, Tony, because like I just said on another story, I don’t see the crime in sitting Sanchez, even if only temporarily to see if he can beat out somebody better than Clemens, or firing Schotty. I don’t expect the Jets to give up on Rex too easily but he’s got to do better before he gets anywhere near that 10 yrs he’s always saying he wants. scjoe, good post to Karan about MS’s slow starts but did you get a load of Spicer’s post? It’s like something from the Soviet Union, like he’s not allowed to mention that we were down 24-0 to PIT because MS had another “slow start,” another fumble returned for a TD, another one of all those things that Rex would like us to pretend don’t happen. Mr. Ryan, tear down this wall! (of denial)

35. By cgb on Dec 2, 2011 | Reply

pool is the only one on the roster with the potential to make some plays in the back end.oh boy, did you see the last couple of plays in the end of the buffalo game. buffalo’s receiver starts out wide right revis has him covered to the outside as he moves inside towards the middle of the end-zone pool who was moving with the play to the outside either slips our just badly plays the ball.revis had stopped and almost runs into pool who should have been reading the qb, or playing inside deep or just simply play the receiver coming into your zone of coverage.we were lucky that play did not result in a come back win for buffalo. revis’s immediate reaction was what the hell are you doing loooking at pool with his hand in the air.

36. By cgb on Dec 2, 2011 | Reply

The truth is there is enough blame for the jets inconsistency to fill a locker room. from the coaches ,the personnel dept (tanny), manny players on both sides of the ball. I wont start calling out players. simply put if the jets do not change philosophically what there doing on offense then they have to execute more consistently . and its not just mark and shotty, its all 11 players on offense.The jets know this and they will get it done. I wont call out the names of the people on these posts who are bashing the qb or someone else its a team sport .

37. By Tom Spicer on Dec 2, 2011 | Reply

TOM 64, WRONG AGAIN! How can you have a slow start in the Pitt game if Pitt holds the ball 14 minutes of a 15 minute quarter? You never had the ball to start slow. How about bringing up the ball got ran down the D’S thoart for 180 yards that day? Another fumble returned for a TD? = ANOTHER GREAT JOB BY THE O LINE! If you recall the play was a corner blitz were he was hit from the blind side IMMEDIATLEY now is that the QBS fault or is it the fault of the O line. Brick should have blocked the corner & told the guard to take the end SIMPLE FOOTBALL 101 MY BOY. A fumble on a blind side blitz is ther O lines fault unless you can tell me how it is I would love to know?

38. By scjoe on Dec 2, 2011 | Reply

Spicer, again, not to beat a dead horse re: that Pit game, but in your post to 64 you would think that Pit scored then recovered an onside kick, scored again and again recovered an onside kick and scored again, but the truth is the Jets went 3 and out after every Pit score that is the reason Pit held the ball most of the half. If there were a few 1st downs and maybe even a few scores, pray tell, the game may not have turned out the way it did. Can you deny that? The Jets had the same oppertunities to score in that game that Pit did, Ben made the plays, MS did not.

39. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 2, 2011 | Reply

Thanks re the 3 and outs, scjoe. I remember very vividly how flat we were on O vs. PIT and how quickly the game got away from us. But you see, Spicer, Karan, a couple others, are so obsessed with “bouncing back” that they seem to expect our O to do nothing in the 1st half. I think they may actually like it that way, maybe for them it adds suspense to the game or something. Me, I don’t know what they’re talking about and I’ll also say that every coach I ever played for was none too forgiving if you got hit, fumbled, and then said, “What do you expect, it was from my blind side!” Also, if you watch other NFL games, you won’t hear this many excuses in a yr for the way Sanchez plays when in his shaky mode as you will on a Jet game in 1 series.

40. By Row on Dec 2, 2011 | Reply

LT must start this game. He is the best back on the team and he will not be here next season. If you watched him this season, you would see he is the back who’s finishing runs and getting yards after contact. I appreciate everyone here who’s apologizing for Sanchez, but the truth is, while statistically he had a great game last week, he had several moments where his whole team just stopped and looked at him as if he weren’t on the same field. Then he goes and rides the stationary bike as if to clear his head instead of looking at the plays he completely misread. It’s like Holmes was told to not say anything to him. If you wander why this team isn’t playing with heart or fire, it’s because they aren’t being allowed to be the Jets anymore.

41. By Row on Dec 2, 2011 | Reply

…Cont’d
    Now Rex apologizes for blitzing and it’s as if we just can’t run the ball anymore. I miss the arrogance. I would like to see the stats on Jet rushing TD’s this year because I would guarantee they are at the bottom of the league. Bar some kind of a miracle, this team is 9-7, missing the playoffs with a ton of holes, #1 at safety, #2 at QB, #3 at pulling tackle, #4 at RB, #5 at TE, #6 at OLB. I just don’t understand Mr. T, questions need to be answered. Everything starts with a win vs Washington. Go Jets

42. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 4, 2011 | Reply

Row, I don’t think you’ll see much of LT after today’s win vs. the Skins. He’s a good bet to retire at this rate.