• Sun., May. 04, 2014 7:30PM - 8:00PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Thu., May. 08, 2014 12:00AM - 12:30AM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Thu., May. 08, 2014 2:00PM - 3:00PM EDT Live Jets Talk LIVE Draft Show Prior to 1st RD of NFL Draft
  • Thu., May. 08, 2014 6:30PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

• Sun., Jun. 08, 2014 7:30PM - 8:00PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sun., Jun. 15, 2014 7:00PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

New Safety Alexander’s Getting a Crash Course

Posted by Randy Lange on December 15, 2011 – 5:03 pm

Gerald Alexander says it’s really great to be here as the newest member of the Jets. He says it for several reasons.

One is it’s great to be employed anywhere. Even in the NFL, especially in the NFL, jobs can be hard to come by.

“It’s just about opportunity. That’s the way it is in this league, being able to take advantage of any opportunity that you get,” said Alexander, who in the wake of Jim Leonhard’s season-ending knee injury has moved in behind Eric Smith, Brodney Pool and Tracy Wilson as the Jets’ fourth safety. “Sometimes the odds of that opportunity may be stacked against you. But this is a blessing to be on this team. I feel honored to be on this team.”

That’s because, being in his fifth season as an NFL player and having made stops with four teams, including AFC opponents Miami and Jacksonville, he’s noticed the Jets and has always liked the cut of their jib.

“This is a team I’ve always wanted to be a part of, just for the way they play, the way they coach,” he said. “I really love the ‘Play Like a Jet’ mentality. I love what it’s all about.”

And that extends to the Rex Ryan/Mike Pettine defensive scheme, which he said after his first two days doing a speed-learning course on it is a little more complex than others he’s known.

“I feel like I know football. I’m really a student of the game,” he said. “It’s fun for me to learn this information from scratch, especially at the fast pace I have to learn. … I want to be a coach when I’m done playing. I’m honored to be able to learn this defense, especially from guys like Mike and Rex.”

Alexander’s even got a former Boise State teammate in the Jets secondary with him. That, of course, would be corner Kyle Wilson, who was a “young pup” in his first two years at Boise while Alexander was in his last two. Now Kyle’s the experienced guy at the door greeting the young Jets pup in a manner of speaking.

“As a player, Gerald was always around the ball,” Wilson recalled. “Just coming in, I respected him right away. He was a three- or four-year starter. He did a lot of things right. I admired his work ethic and attention to detail.”

One last reason Alexander likes the lie of the land here at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center is because he’s already been greeted warmly by Jets Nation.

“I’m very active on Twitter,” said Alexander. “I talk to fans, I conversant, I tell jokes. People can really see the person I am off the field. And the love I got from the Jets fans was unbelievable: ‘Welcome, we’re happy you’re part of it.’ The love I got from Jets fans was unlike any other team I’ve been with.”

He said he knows where the fans, even the feisty ones, are coming from because he was once in that place himself growing up in Rancho Cucamonga, Calif.

“I was once a diehard Raiders fans,” he said. “I know what it’s like to have your emotions attached to Sunday, and to not be able to watch TV for the rest of the week when your team loses. You don’t want to see highlights, you don’t want to hear anything.”

Now his goal is to help the Jets be on the winning end Sunday for their game at Philadelphia. Rex Ryan wasn’t committing to Alexander being in uniform on Lincoln Financial Field just yet. But Alexander said he’s ready for the call if it comes.

“I’m going to make sure I’m mentally prepared to play,” he said. “It’s going to be a crash course, definitely. If they feel confident with me on the field with the information I know, then I’ll be ready to go.”

Between a Rock and a Hard Place

Michael Vick brings out the lyrical best in opponents. Ryan was asked if the Eagles QB was as elusive as the Steelers’ Ben Roethlisberger.

“Ben escapes much differently than Vick does,” Ryan said. “Vick’s more of a make-you-miss-in-space guy. Ben’s more of a shake-you-off guy. They both make plays.”

LB Aaron Maybin was describing how he and the Jets need to approach Vick in the pocket Sunday. He was asked if Vick is almost like a soccer penalty kick, where the defender has to play goalie and guess which way the QB is going to go. Maybin said no, you can’t guess and play tentative against a player with Vick’s quacks.

“Guys like Vick make overaggressive people look foolish,” quota Mayhem. “But he makes hesitant people look stupid.”

Somewhere between stupid and foolish, hesitant and overaggressive, is the path to stopping Vick in his tracks.

Injury Reports

The Jets’ injury list changed little today, but the one move as expected was that G Brandon Moore, who didn’t practiced Wednesday, was limited today. “And he’ll be full tomorrow,” Ryan said. CB Marquice Cole (knee) was the only Jet who didn’t practice and Ryan termed him “very questionable” for the Eagles. S Eric Smith, DT Mike DeVito and DL Marcus Dixon remained limited for team drills.

The only Eagle not practicing today was DE Darryl Tapp (ribs). T Todd Herremans (ankle) and DT Cullen Jenkins (groin) were both limited in team drills, while Vick (ribs) and WR Jeremy Maclin (hamstring/shoulder) both were full-go.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

68 Responses to “New Safety Alexander’s Getting a Crash Course”

1. By wayne on Dec 15, 2011 | Reply

I said it once here already and I’ll say it again, A.a.r.o.n. M.a.y.b.i.n. should be on the field this weekend for every snap MICHAEL VICK IS ON THE FIELD. He can rest next weekend. I believe the season rests squarely on this game, because I don’t see this team beating the Bigants next week.

2. By russ on Dec 15, 2011 | Reply

Alexander bring all you got, we’ll need ut…good luck

3. By Arte Olde School Section 327 on Dec 15, 2011 | Reply

If the Jets Play Like the New Jets that are today moving forward, we are going to be very hard to beat. We are healthy. We are confident. We are focused. And we are in the best position I’ve ever felt this team to be. Next year is going to be unreal. This is the best team in the league. If we simply keep it going, do what we’ve been doing in all 3 aspects of our game, we will win out and get to our goal. The only teams that could (not should) beat us are the Ravens and Packers. I’m not a betting man anymore, but like Rex says, I’ll take this team, and these players over any and all other teams in the league. Our average age has to be one of the youngest in the league. Randy, what have been our longest winning streaks in franchise history?

4. By Randy Lange on Dec 15, 2011 | Reply

Arte, the longest win streak in franchise history is the nine straight won by the 1986 team from Games 3-11. The second-longest in-season streak was seven in a row by the 1998 team from Game 12 through the AFC Divisional Round Game vs. Jacksonville.

5. By Kevin65Fan on Dec 15, 2011 | Reply

Stats…Stats…Stats…so sick of them. They don’t mean a darn thing unless you win. Ugly win…Good win…Great win…that is all that matters..bottom line just win the game. you are what you are based on the wins by the TEAM. Don’t care if Sanchize throws 30 td’s this year. If we lose one game…very good chance we are out of the playoffs. Don’t care if Green goes over 1000 yards…we lose one game…we are out. Don’t care if Maybin gets 6 more sacks….If we don’t win out…we are out. Throw the stas out the window and just WIN.

6. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 15, 2011 | Reply

I certainly wish Alexander luck and he sounds like he’s got a terrific attitude, too. (Rancho Cucamonga is also an underrated town, and any place that spawned Frank Zappa can’t be all bad.) But it’s a little scary to have to rely on Alexander and Tracy Wilson this late in the season with this much on the line.

7. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

Interesting stat for the Greene doubters: He’s 8th in the league for RBs when it comes to yards after contact. TJ was 52nd for that going into last week’s game and is no doubt lower now, having gone something like 4 for 10 last week, his usual game in the absence of 30 carries or so…after which he can break one to up his average…and get caught from behind when other RBs would’ve left the defenders in the dust…

8. By IRA on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

I have thought about this game all week. I don’t like the matchup at all. But i do believe that if the Jets can run the ball and keep Vick off the field and create a few turnovers they can find a way to win a close one.Jets 20- Eagles 17 ? I hope !!!!
    Go Jets!!!!

9. By GaryC on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

The eagles right now are playing for andy reids job so to think they won’t be up to the task is ridiculous,jets have always had problems with qbs who can get out of pocket and this game is another case,best chance might be a muddy field that slows down McCoy’s cutback ability,and their defensive ends coming in on Hunter,celek is one of the best no name tightends in the league and we know the problems the jets have with them.Keller has to take advantage of the Eagles safeties and Kerley too, because I am not sure what the wideouts are going to do against samuel and nnamdi,if jenkins is out for eagles jets can control ball against their d line and that might be their best chance.

10. By Tom Spicer on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

I think it is funny when guys on this site post about Tim Tebow & say oh he is a winner. When he is completing 48% of his passes, he has thrown fo rmore than 200 yards 2 times in 2 years & guys talk about Mark being not accurate Tebow is the most inaccurate QB I have ever seen in my life. The Broncos have the #1 running game in the NFL & since Tebow has taken over there D has been lights out they hold everyone in the teens. Meanwhile the posters say he is a winner. I ask this WHAT HAS HE WON? A few regular season games. Meanwhile when posters like myself & IRA say Mark is a winner we are told the Jets won in spite of him. But he has actullay won 4 road playoff games & in those games has put up numbers Tebow can only dream of having.

11. By Tom Spicer on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

Then guys say O Rex has a agenda Rex’s only agenda is to WIN or he will be out of a job. The posters on this site who double talk about Mark & Tebow THEY ARE THE ONES WHO HAVE A AGENDA!

12. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

No question about it, Spice, as far as “winners” go, there’s no comparison between Tebow and Sanchez. When Tebow and the Broncos beat a decent team, much less get into the playoffs, much less win any playoff games, much less win them on the road, we’ll talk to the Tebow crowd again.

13. By IRA on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

wayne,
    Yes maybin is one of the few players that can spy on Vick. But you have to be careful if the Eagles see maybin out there all the time they will exploit him into coverage and then the Jets could get into trouble. I do agree they must keep him in the pocket ot else they will have problems.
    Thrilled to have Mangold but hard watching Abraham still be a headache to teams. Imagine Abraham, Pace and Maybin? Now that would be some pass rush.

14. By Kevin65Fan on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

64 Tom….”beat a decent team” I guess your saying we (JETS) are not a decent team…

15. By GaryC on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

jet fan tom, that actually sounds like a word of praise about sanchez about him being a winner as compared to tebow,now if you can take it upon yourself admitting the jets blew it by not bringing back cotchery,smith and edwards and bringing in Plastico and Mason there might be help for you yet.

16. By GaryC on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

Look people nobody is calling tebow JOE MONTANA,but he might be a winner,who knows, Derek Jeter doesn’t have the greatest stats and he is called a winner, at least with tebow you don’t need 24 hour survelliance to watch his whereabouts,not like a lot of these characters today.

17. By Tom Spicer on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

Guys are underestimating the Eagles this is a harder game then the Giant game. I dont care what there record is. The Eagles is a road game we play the Giants at home. The Giants can throw the ball & rush the passer but the Eagles can throw the balll & rush the passer. The Giants have no running game & the Eagles can run the ball McCoy is a stud. The Giant secondary is a mess right now you can throw on them. The Eagles secondary has 3 legit NFL cormers. If the Giants lose to us the can still win the divison all they have to do is beat the Redskins & the Cowboys both at home. Also they have a great shot at a wild card. The game vs us is not a must win. The Eagles on the other hand can only make the playoffs by winning out with help.

18. By Tom Spicer on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

To the Eagles this is a must win game. The only difference between the Giants 7 & 6 & the Eagles 5 & 8 is Mike Vick got hurt & missed 3 games & the Eagles lost 2 of those 3.

19. By wayne on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

Ira, he doesn’t need to be in coverage. secondly don’t give too much credit to Vick’s ability in reading coverages, no disrespect meant…..Jets got to be able to stem some of the significant talent advantage they’ll be going up against….Closest game to this is the Oakland game……They’re gonna need speed on the field in the front seven ALL GAME. Obviously don’t have him lined up in the same place. SPY, BLITZ, TACKLE…………………..no coverage….The degree of difficulty for the secondary increases without Leonhard(I know, I know some of you boys aren’t fond of Leonhard, but tell me how him being gone improves the present situation?) Having your fastest LB to do some chasing can’t make situation any worse.

20. By wayne on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

Tom 64, Wow you actually said something nice about GQ….That’s how great Tebow is, he got you to say something good about your QB…Watch the Broncos get into the playoffs….Oh, and by the way if Tebow loses this weekend, no biggy, your NY Jets, SB contenders, lost to that same team TWICE, this year…..But alas, that game hasn’t been played yet so we don’t know that Mr. Tebow won’t beat them Pats.

21. By TONY GARCIA on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

One game at a time,control the clock and hit Vick every time he drops back.
    Jet fan since 1969 I like our team and the way they have come together.That being said winning out will not be easy.

22. By Chicago Bob on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

Scoring early is going to be huge – if we fall behind early and have to start throwing the ball we will be in trouble with their pass rush. Hopefully we can run the ball and get into position where we can run play action and not have to rely too much on deep passing. The Eagles LB’s are suspect so hopefully Keller can exploit them. Vick is still a little banged up so hopefully we might be able to get a few shots in early and make him get rid of the ball faster than what he would like. Ealges OL is not exactly their strong point, we need the front 3 to create some kind of push to open it up for some blitz packages. Eagles are loaded with some head cases so hopefully we can jump ahead early and get them to self destruct.

23. By Jersey Joe on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

This game will come down to how Rex and the D can overcome the blazing speed the Eagles have all over the place. If Jets can’t beat this team their chances of getting to or winning a playoff game evaporate – that simple ! A blow-out loss similar to the Raider game would set this team back to the drawing board and all the big questions about how GOOD this Jet team really is will resurface! Not trying to be negative here just honest – We are counting on a
    contribution from a guy (Alexander) who was sitting on the couch last week, Really ?? On a positive note – Leonhard’s injury will FORCE Ryan to FINALLY address the safety position via draft or free-agent (s)

24. By Tony Green on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

I think Leonhard is a loss (and as much as I like the guy) I don’t think its that big of a loss. I think Pool will be better in the back. Pool is bigger faster and more athletic then Leonhard. Yea Leonhard calls out the plays and makes adjustments but at the same time I think a little size to help us take on those tight ends will help. Put Smith Deep and if you see running plays then you bring him in and put Pool deep. This is a big game. As a jet fan I don’t like the match up but I think if we play with heart we can beat the Eagles. Just depends on which Jets team shows up this weekend.

25. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

Okay, Rex got real today (“We have to get into the playoffs before we can talk Super Bowl”), so I will too: Kevin, we sure weren’t no decent team back when we lost to DEN. GaryC, when Tebow wins a single playoff game rather than lucking out against lousy teams, we’ll talk about if he’s gonna have a career at QB, much less be “a winner.” Sanchez, with help from a lotta Jets, has already won some big POST-SEASON games. Also GaryC, Smith looks worthless this yr, a complete bust without Westhoff and if he’s cut, I’ll bet we DON’T pick him up. J-Co wanted to go and Edwards overplayed his hand, not that I wouldn’t break the bank for WRs if I was Mr. T. Take it up with Rex, who still has a lot to learn about O even if he’s dropped the SB talk.

26. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

Oh, and Wayne, you wanna come down from your Tebow-induced high? If DEN beats NE this Sunday, you can bet your last Dead Sea Scroll that it won’t be because Tebow bested Brady in a shootout. Praying to a higher power is called monotheism, praying to some mythical higher power named Tim Tebow is called mental illness.

27. By kleckofan on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

Hey, I want to have a great game and win regardless of playoff scenarios, but by the time we play, the Eagles will know that if the Gints or Boys win they’re done. That could be cause for a letdown, although they may still play to keep Reid. Agree that the way to win this one is w ball control and play action. Let Tom Moore continue to do what he did last week (I guess no one knows the full extent of his contributions from the box, but it sure looked different to me).
    Heard Sal Pal’ say this am that Vick’s ribs are extremely sore, limiting his practice…one good clean sack may get us a back-up (Young).

28. By scjoe on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

Spicer, 64 too. For one time, throw out most of those stats you like to post, this time re: Tebow. The only important stat is 7-1 as a starter! Who really cares if he hasn’t thrown for 200 yards? Who really cares if he is not an “elite” QB? Give me the 7-1 and first in the division and you can keep your 300 yds per game and your “elite” QB status and dangle somewhere in the middle of the pack. Ws and Ls. That is the only important stat. To say this guy (at this point anyway) is not a winner is ludicrous! You both can say he is not an elite QB and you would be right, but look what is going on around you.

29. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

scjoe, it’s a stretch to say any QB “wins” games on his own, much less that Tebow “won” any on HIS own. He hasn’t proven he can put pts on the board and has been lucky to play vs. teams that, with the exception of MIN, didn’t. I refuse to get involved in this kind of overnight hype of athletes or anyone else. When Tebow can throw and score consistently, I’ll think about whether he’ll be a good NFL QB. Right now he looks like a half-season extension of the Tom Matte game vs. the Packers. And as for “first in the division,” he plays in one of the two weakest divisions in the NFL and one that’s been devastated by injuries. I’d like to see where DEN would be if Campbell, Cassel, McFadden, Charles, Berry, Kaeding, and others had stayed healthy.

30. By Tom Spicer on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

I read in the post in the last 3 weeks the Jets have scored as many TDS as any team in the league. I have to think Tom Moore has something to do with that. I also read that Schotty is a candidate for the Miami head coaching job. It said they are going after Cowher or Fisher with Schotty as the backup plan.

31. By Tom Spicer on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

SCJoe, I do not have a problem with Tebow what I am saying is this. Mark wins game BIG GAMES & in some of those big games he had good numbers. I as well as others will call him a winner & guys on this site say we win in spite of him. Meanwhile those same posters come to this site & say Tim Tebow is a winner even thou he has had significantly less to do with his wins than Mark has had to do with his. It is a double standard how can Mark not be a winner when I or IRA say he is but Tebow be a winner. DOUBLE STANDARD If Mark played like Tebow there would be a RIOT in front of the Meadowlands for him to be benched. I could start naming names of the guys but I dont want to go there they know who they are.

32. By kleckofan on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

Much like Mark in the last two yrs, Tebow is on a team that is winning…great D and a good ground game…sound familiar? Why all the mystery? I’m a spiritual
    ( not necessarily religous) guy…faith can give you confidence and a positive attitude, beyond that I don’t know. God, or whatever word/concept you want to use, is not watching this week’s Broncos/Pats game…if he is I’ve got some rethinking about life to do. Broncos are winning in spite of Tebow, with the exception of five or six plays per game. Don’t get me wrong I like the guy, but a NFL QB he is not (he’s not even Dilfer). I really hope we play them in the playoffs

33. By Jersey Joe on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

Strange how Tim Tebow has been injected into this thread but if we all just take a deep breath and put aside our bias either for against his faith – look at Tebow’s career stats in games he has played in 2010 and 2011 his numbers compare very well to ANY quarterback in his first 10 -12 games. His TD to Interception ratio is great 3-1 = every stat except for completion % is better than Sanchez. Denver was a bottom feeder in 2010 and the only reason anyone is talking about them now is their win streak with Tebow. I live in Mich and you could make the case that the Lions created a monster when they rolled the Broncos and openly mocked Tebow during and after the game – He hasn’t lost since and Fox has figured out that how to use his talents !

34. By Jimmer on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

Spicer, every team we face with a beat up secondary, we do the same thing. Try and force the run, ignoring the weak pass D. We’re disfunctional.
    Yes, use mayhem as a spy this week, it will drive them insane, cause he’s been getting the serious double teams lately.
    Tebow may be a poor QB, but he is a field general like Patton. Backup QB’s may be better than him, but he does allow their defense time to rest up, making them better.
    Philly is gonna play like their lives depend on winning this game simply for pride. We’ve never won there, and they all know it.

35. By joe on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

Sc Joe SPICER will always bring a STAT into play to use as an excuse to OBSCURE THE TRUTH .Perfect example when BRADY and ROTHESBURGER won their 5 superbowls between them MY STATS SAY THEY WERE NOT ELITE .ALSO WILL BRING A STAT INTO PLAY TO JUSTIFY SANCHEZ AND RYAN.SPICER doesnt understand one thing -THE ONLY REASON TO PLAY IN THE NFL IS TO WIN THE SUPERBOWL.Nothing else matters (ASK MARTY SCHOTTENMEYER )If you dont win sooner or later you gone as a head coach.MOST of these coaches on these talk shows today (exception of Cowher )didnt get fired because they won too many games

36. By joe on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

Ps the above being said i want to see two things in the DENVER GAME.Brady verss Denvers D and what happens if DENVER gets down by more than 10.Typical Brady HE WILL NOT LET OFF THE GAS

37. By GaryC on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

Jet Fan tom, I know character on a team means little to you, that is why you continue to deride Tebow, nobody says he will be a great qb, who knows he might down the road be a tightend,but I would like my team to have more Tebows than to have guys who are hitting the nightclubs not knowing what is happening to them.

38. By scjoe on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

spicer/64. I don’t get it, maybe you guys are looking at different games then I am because I watched Tebow almost single highhandedly beat our team late in the 4th quarter. I don’t care about his stats in the first 55 minutes of the game, just how it ended, for Denver it was a win, Tebow did most of the damage himself, same in the Miami game late, same in the SD game, against the Bears he got them down in to FG range to get the win. so how can anyone say the Broncos are winning in spite of this guy. Jersey Joe made a great point, check his stats against anyone else except for completion percentage and see what you come up with.

39. By scjoe on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

To continue. I don’t look at myself as a die hard Tebow fan, not after 8 games. My point, and my only point is his team is winning with him as their QB they were not before that. He don’t turn the ball over, he don’t make to many mistakes, he just wins. THAT is what I like about him.

40. By joe on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

Spicer you just stated another GREAT falsehood amoung others (Rex Ryan NEVER guaranteed us a super bowl victory. M Sanchez played as well as BRADY last time we played NE )Now we have M Sanchez WINS BIG GAMES.Tell me in the 3 years hes been here what titles has he won (IF YOU WIN BIG GAMES YOU GET TITLES=DIVISION CHAMPIONSHIOS,AFC CHAMPIONSHIPS SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONSHIPS)Spicer your bar is set so low you will jump at anything.Spicer your actually content with not having won a SUPERBOWL in 43 years

41. By Tom Spicer on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

Jersey Joe, Tebow averages 117 yards per game passing that compares well to no one at any level even rookies. You would think that a guy who sat for a year to learn would have better than 48% completion percentage. Also you saying that he beats Mark in every stat accept completion percentage is TOTALLY WRONG. Mark is better is completion percentage, yards per game. yards per attempt, TDS basically every category Mark is better & not for the year I check since Tebow has taken over.

42. By joe on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

Spicer by HIS THIRD YEAR ROTHESBURGER had a rookie of the year 2 DIVISIONAL TITLES 1 AFC CHAMPIONSHIP AND 1 SUPERBOWL win.You NEVER EVER compare anything regarding the JETS to the elite player or team because your content to win 1 Super bowl and 1 Div title every lifetime Your worryied about beating a 5 win EAGLE TEAM Dont worry about the EAGLES IF THIS WAS A CHAMPIONSHIP GRADE TEAM (LIKE OUR COACH SAID IT WOULD BE )THE ONLY TEAM WE SHOULD WORRY ABOUT BEATING IS UNDEFEATED GREEN BAY

43. By Tom Spicer on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

Joe, Man of little football knowledge let me school you again. Brady the first year he won the Super Bowl he had 18 TDS THE WHOLE YEAR! this was in his second year in the NFL. Did the Pats beat everyone 7 to 0 that year or was that team a run first & defensive oriented team?

44. By Tom Spicer on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

Joe, Brady the 2nd year he won the Super Bowl he had 23 TDS THE WHOLE YEAR! this was in his 4th year in the NFL. Did the Pats beat everyone 10 to 0 that year or was that team a run first & defensive oriented team?

45. By Tom Spicer on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

Joe, Brady the 3rd year he won the Super Bowl he had 28 TDS THE WHOLE YEAR! this was in his 5th year in the NFL. Did the Pats beat everyone 14 to 7 that year or was that team a run first & defensive oriented team? & Brady is the best of the bunch wait until I show you Big Ben & Eli it gets better.

46. By Tom Spicer on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

Joe, Eli the year he won the Super Bowl he had 24 TDS THE WHOLE YEAR with 27 TURNOVERS! this was in his 4th year in the NFL. Did the Giants beat everyone 14 to 10 that year or was that team a run first & defensive oriented team?

47. By Tom Spicer on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

Joe, Big Ben the 1st year he won the Super Bowl he had 20 TDS THE WHOLE YEAR! this was in his 2nd year in the NFL. Did the Steelers beat everyone 7 to 0 that year or was that team a run first & defensive oriented team?

48. By Tom Spicer on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

Joe, Big Ben the 2nd year he won the Super Bowl he had 19 TDS THE WHOLE YEAR with 22 TURNOVERS! this was in his 5TH year in the NFL. Did the Steelers beat everyone 7 to 0 that year or was that team a run first & defensive oriented team? I have tried to explain this to you over & over after this if you do not get it do all of us & yourself a favor SELL YOUR TV & DO NOT EVER WATCH FOOTBALL AGAIN. Cause YOU will never get IT!

49. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

Jersey Joe, I’m not interested in Tebow’s or anybody else’s faith, I’m interested in the peyote-induced-sounding comments some people make about a guy who can’t throw even close to accurately, hasn’t “beaten” anybody good, and hasn’t put any real pts on the board except once. Spicer’s exactly right, Sanchez looks like Rodgers next to Tebow, at least when MS misses a WR the ball is in the general vicinity of the guy. Good pt again, joe, about how Brady plays pedal to the metal every game while we’re stuck with Rex telling Greeene to take a knee. That’s how you coach when you’re more worried about losing the game than driven to win it. I’d like to see Rex try to tell Brady to take a knee, even in the Pro Bowl Brady would probably just laugh.

50. By GaryC on Dec 17, 2011 | Reply

jet fan tom, as much trouble as we have had on special teams I believe the jets, and especially westhoff is salivating at the chance to bring back Brad Smith, If he is cut,the jets would send Air Force One to bring him in.

51. By Jersey Joe on Dec 17, 2011 | Reply

Spicer – are you looking at Mark Sanchez’ stats for the first 12 games of his career vs Tebow’s ? – Don’t get me wrong here I actually like MS, most of the time (lol) he has to cut down on his turnovers for the Jets as a Team to have success. Mark is incredibly inconsistent which I think stems from his lack of maturity not lack of talent – we don’t know which MS we’ve got game to game – the turnover machine or the game manager? Somehow Tebow has elevated the level of his teams play this season – a bottom feeder to a competitive winner, it’s a great story – MS was drafted by a team (we were told) was playoff caliber and hoped he could QB them to a Super Bowl – only time will tell

52. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 17, 2011 | Reply

1st of all, GaryC, no one factor is everything, I wouldn’t ever hope to put together a team of all brains guys or all speed guys or all character guys. 2nd, Tebow’s character is as up for discussion as anyone else’s. His belief in monotheism doesn’t automatically make him a saint. Then there’s the question of how much you wanna proselytize about your beliefs. If I were a pro QB, I certainly wouldn’t say after every game, “Well, on that 72-yard TD, I could just feel Lao-Tzu back in 600 B.C. telling me to dwell in reality…” (Tao Te Ching). And by the way, I love that joke I heard a stand-up comedian do about twenty yrs ago, when he said how come you never hear a guy say after a loss, “Well, we were in the game…until JESUS made me fumble!”

53. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 17, 2011 | Reply

scjoe, given how few pts Tebow has put up the board, it’s hard for me to believe that Orton wouldn’t have put up about twice as many. DEN didn’t bench Orton because they thought he was so much worse than Tebow, they did it because (1) They recognized they have to rebuild and Orton ain’t the future (2) They traded up too high to get Tebow, so they better at least try him out, and (3) They had absolutely nothing to lose. GaryC, Smith is clearly a product of Westhoff as a KR. He’s slower than McKnight, much less shifty, and only a short-sighted, emotionally immature HC like Rex would blow up a few fumbles by new KRs into Armageddon. I don’t see BUF cutting Smith with his contract or the Jets struggling to find him a position again.

54. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 17, 2011 | Reply

Finally on Smith, GaryC, we’ve run the dreaded Wildcat with at least three new guys that I can remember this year, LT, Greene, and Kerley. So we’re hardly crying out for Smith’s much-overhyped skills in that outdated, mostly counter-productive formation, which by the way seems to have played a part in Sparano getting fired. And as joe keeps saying, the day the Jets picked up Brady from the Pats because he wanted to spend more time near his wife’s fashion shoots in New York City, you’d never hear the word “Wildcat” uttered within the tri-state area again, by Rex or anybody else.

55. By joe on Dec 17, 2011 | Reply

Spicer any scout will tell you 3 PEOPLE you NEVER EVER LISTEN to when scouting a KID- his parents coach (unless magor D1 )or his fans=YOUR A WALKING EXAMPLE OF THIS.Everything is a stat.You claim SANCHEZ is as good as Brady was his First SB YEAR.BRADY led his team (THAT WAS A 14 POINT UNDERDOG )to a last minute SB victory WHERES THAT STAT in the book .Namaths STATS are bad in comparison to MANY QBS NOT IN THE HALL YET HES IN WHERES THAT STAT IN THE BOOK.Lynn Swann stats are terrible compared to many wr hes in their not (SB 10 HAD SOMEHING TO DO WITH THAT )WHY

56. By joe on Dec 17, 2011 | Reply

JET FAN SINCE 64 TOM Watch that BRADY tomm IF HES UP BY 30 GOING TO the last minute of the game still be throwing it downfield..Its Funny THE NFL PLAYERS ranked themselves (top 100 )Rothesburger Manning Brady ECT (basically EVERY QB THATS WON A SUPERBOWL THE LAST DECADE )NO SANCHEZ THOUGH .Those guys must not know too much about football .Someone should tell them SPICER said SANCHEZ is as good as BRADY ROTHESBURGER was when they won their Superbowls.

57. By Kevin65Fan on Dec 17, 2011 | Reply

Dream on Gary C…why replace a guy that is leading the league in kick-off returns. Like i said before Spicer…Stats don’t mean a thing when you win. Winning is a TEAM game. Don’t give a hoot if Brady only threw 18 td’s in a season…they won the Super Bowl…Don’t care if Eli threw 27 pics….They won a Super bowl. As you see I said They…as in TEAM. STS..DEfense…Offense…the Team won the Super Bowl. Like I also said …don’t give a hoot if Sanchise throws over 30 td’s this year…doesn’t mean nothing if the team…thats TEAM Spicer does not win a Super Bowl.

58. By joe on Dec 17, 2011 | Reply

He you go SPICER KEN ANDERSON VERSES TERRY BRADSHAW Anderson 2654 OF 4475 59.3 COMP RATI0 32838 YARDS 197 TD 160 INT BRADSHAW 2025 OF 3901 51.9 COMP RATIO 27989 212 TD 210 INT .IN EVERY STATISTICAL CAT ANDERSON WINS.(ACCORDING to you since his stats are better hes the better player )WHY is BRADSHAW a first team HOF and ANDERSON is rejected year after year.STATS OFTEN MEAN NOTHING in determing whos the better player no one in his right mind would EVER say Ken Anderson was a better qb than Terry Bradshaw

59. By joe on Dec 18, 2011 | Reply

Kevid exactly SPICER doesnt understand the only reason to play in the NFL is for the team to win the superbowl. Great players play great in big games.Sanchez played IN 2 afc CHAMP games and did nothing remarkable .Spicer will pull a stat out of a book to use a comparasions and as i illustrated in the Bradshaw Anderon comparason its meaninless .

60. By Tom Spicer on Dec 18, 2011 | Reply

Jersey Joe, I did not know you were talking about for there first 12 starts.

61. By Tom Spicer on Dec 18, 2011 | Reply

Joe, You are bringing up Andersen’s numbers why? If anything the point you are trying to make proves my point Andersen had better numbers than Bradshaw but Bradshaw won all the Super Bowls CAUSE HE HAD THE BETTER TEAM!

62. By GaryC on Dec 18, 2011 | Reply

remember jet fan tom,you said the wildcat was dead when Smith left,and now we have three guys running it,none being the equal of Smith.Like they say, when you have 2 quarterbacks playing you really have none, same with the wildcat,if it is being run by three,then really no one runs it as efficent as Smith did.I will give you this,without Smith they should dump it all together.

63. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 18, 2011 | Reply

GaryC, the Wildcat IS dead, we ran it as a kind of joke in the WASH game, as you can see by the way Rex and Schotty talked about it. We’re not going to get to the next level because of the critical question of to use or not to use the Wildcat. I wish Smith well — on Buffalo, when he learns how to play a regular position well. I woulda tried him at S here but we obviously weren’t gonna pay him $14 mil for 4 yrs. to do that. Only in Jetsland, where failure is success and success is failure if the fan is determined (or delusional) enough, could McKnight lead the league at KR, Smith have an embarrassingly bad yr at everything in BUF, and the fan conclude that we must bench McKnight and bring back Smith!

64. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 18, 2011 | Reply

What’s more, GaryC, McKnight is leading the Pro Bowl voting at KR — a sure sign that we need to sit him down in favor of Smith…

65. By joe on Dec 18, 2011 | Reply

Spicer BRADSHAW was the better player .The hall of fame is about the BETTER PLAYER NOT WHOSE ON THE BETTER TEAM.Bradshaw is a first ballot hall of famer .Anderson stats SAY HES THE BETTER PLAYER but he REALLY NOT (HE CANT GET INTO THE HALL ).Stats are often worthless in determining whose the better player yOU CITED stats TO try TO SAY MARKS STATS ARE EQUAL to BENS AND BRADYS were there forst sb years ,SO WHAT doesnt mean a thing If it did ANDERSON WOULD BE REGARDED AS A BETTER PLAYER THAN BRADSHAW.

66. By joe on Dec 18, 2011 | Reply

SPICER GREAT PLAYERs PLAY GREAT WHEN THEY HAVE TO.IF you go back to the NFL NETWORK series the best of all time MANY player were left off that list that had way better stats then the players on the list I cited Bradshaw ,Swann and our own Joe Namath .Compare Namaths stats to Sanchez i would venture to say Marks stats are better in many cases SO WHAT MEANS NOTHING Which QB was the better player .Who do you want back there with the game on the line Spicer.

67. By joe on Dec 18, 2011 | Reply

The hall of fame is about INDIVIDUAL PLAYER ACHIEVEMENT Spicer,not whose on the better team.Many many players in the hall never played on a championship team (BUTKIS ,SANDERS MARINO) Point being though Bradshaws numbers were not as good as Andersons HES THE MUCH BETTER PLAYER THATS WHY HES IN THE HALL .

68. By joe on Dec 18, 2011 | Reply

Ok GUYS did we learn what happens when you got a GROUND and Pound 80s offencive team (DENVER WITH TEBOW OR US GOING AGAINST PHILLY )GOING AGAINST A MODERN ELITE QB.(YOU CANT BRING A KNIFE TO A GUN FIGHT )jUST SO LIMITED IF YOU D CANT SHUT THEM DOWN YOUR DEAD.Problem is no d can do that its 2011 not 1985