• Wed., Sep. 03, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Replay Jets Open Mic on SNY Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences
  • Thu., Sep. 04, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Thu., Sep. 04, 2014 10:00 PM - 10:30 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Fri., Sep. 05, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Sat., Sep. 06, 2014 7:30 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Sun., Sep. 07, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Live Jets Post Game: Raiders at Jets Reactions and on-field interviews with Jets players immediately following every Jets game
  • Sun., Sep. 07, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Live Jets Post Game: Raiders at Jets Reactions and on-field interviews with Jets players immediately following every Jets game
  • Mon., Sep. 08, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Live Jets Open Mic

Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences

• Tue., Sep. 09, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Live Jets Extra Point Analysis of the previous week’s game and exclusive interivews with Jets players and coaches
  • Wed., Sep. 10, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Live Jets Open Mic

Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences

STS*: Purdum Back to Feeling Fine for This Big Ride

Posted by Randy Lange on December 17, 2011 – 10:11 am

Tanner Purdum readily admits that “When you don’t hear my name, it’s a good day.” That is the fate of top-shelf long snappers such as Purdum and, before him on the Jets, James Dearth.

It was also a good week for the Jets’ specialists and coaches because they didn’t hear Purdum’s name on the team’s injury report, as they did the week before and two weeks earlier in the season. Purdum didn’t say he was close to not being able to snap any of those weeks, but all three weeks his low back issue was not a triviality for the Green & White.

“They do a great job in the training room, putting in, it’s got to be 80 man-hours on me in my three days in there,” Purdum calculated. “They do a good job of getting you right, and Coach Westhoff and Ben [Kotwica], they’re both good enough to realize, ‘Get through the practice because we need  you but we won’t kill you with reps.’ Even this week they tell me, ‘Take it easy. You might feel 100 percent but we don’t want it to relapse.’ “

Purdum’s injury is probably a common condition in the snappers’ upside-down world.

“It’s one of those things where you just get tight hips at my position, being bent over all the time,” he analyzed. “Most of my power is in the nips. Once those get too tight, your back flares up and slips out or, in my case, spasms. It just happens. This time I happened to be lifting. Last time it was at practice.”

Sounds like a job for your friendly chiropractor. And Tanner’s one of those people you’ll meet occasionally who recommends chiropractic for what ails you, because it’s helped what ails him over the years. In fact, his father-in-law is award-winning Dr. Mark Pick out of Dodge City, Kans., who has worked with the Chiefs and at the NFL combine.

“I’m pretty picky” when it comes to chiropractors, said Purdum, no pun intended. “He does a very, very good job, and when I’m in that area I always go to him. But here these guys step up and do the job right too. They know what they have to do to have me fixed before the game.”

Dr. Pick also has treated bull riders over the years, which prompted me to ask Tanner if he’s ever gotten on a bull back in his multifaceted Midwestern upbringing.

“I saddle-broke horses in high school and college,” he said. “He had bucking stock for a long time and I think he just sold them off this year. I’ve helped him with them a little when I was out there. I’ve gotten on a bull once or twice, and it’s not exactly the best time of your life. I lasted about three seconds, which is better than most, I guess.”

But he’s never survived an eight-second eternity, ridden a bull to the bell?

“Noooo,” he said. “That’s like putting an entire offensive line into one and then trying to ride their back.”

Doesn’t sound like an exciting prospect. But then again, who’s to say with a long snapper? His highlights often go unnoticed as he snaps one ball after another unerringly into the hands of holder Mark Brunell for a Nick Folk placement or into the hands of punter T.J. Conley.

But Purdum did enjoy this past Sunday’s game against the Chiefs, which was his only other NFL employer, a team that worked him through the 2009 preseason and then waived him, ultimately so he could sign with the Jets before last season.

“They cut me, fine,” he said without bitterness. “I wound up in a better place. I’m much happier here than I was there, so they did me a favor.”

This Sunday Purdum can do the Jets a major favor by keeping the ropes coming to give the Jets their best chance against dangerous Eagles punt returner DeSean Jackson (whose average nevertheless has slipped from 15.2 yards in 2009 to 11.6 last year to 6.7 so far this season).

“The Eagles come over the middle, mostly, a seven-man front,” he described Philadelphia’s punt block approach. “They like to rush the center, or at least to come across me to the guard. They like to stuff us up front so Jackson can get something going in the back. You’ve got a good returner, that’s what you want to do. You want to create a pile, a big cloud of dust up front so he has some room to run.”

It’ll be up to Purdum and his linemates to defeat the cloud of dust and get downfield quickly to keep Jackson at bay. And with his back back to some semblance of normal, it sounds just like the kind of ride he likes.

*Special Teams Saturday

Tags: , , , , , , ,

35 Responses to “STS*: Purdum Back to Feeling Fine for This Big Ride”

1. By Tom Spicer on Dec 17, 2011 | Reply

Joe, You were right I just watched it on you tube Rex did guarntee that the Jets would win the Super Bowl. I stand corrected.

2. By Tom Spicer on Dec 17, 2011 | Reply

SCJoe, You were talking about how Tebow played poorly for the 1st 55 mins. of a game & than drove them to win 2 storys before this one. Meanwhile if Mark plays poorly for the 1st 3 quarters of a game & drives the Jets down for a winning drive which he has done 2 or 3 times more than Tebow has & the only thing we will here on this site is not the he won the game but how poorly he played in the 1st 3 quarters. Tebow will do the same thing & all you will here is OH HE WON THE GAME! DOUBLE STANDARD!

3. By scjoe on Dec 17, 2011 | Reply

Spicer, see, that is the only problem I have with Rex. He talks way to much. Not that it effects the outcome of any game played on the field, but at some point just shut up and play. That said, it is not a good enough reason to even think of replacing him because there is not much in the way of upgrades to be had.

4. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 17, 2011 | Reply

And yet another overblown Jet fan fear dies a quiet death, that letting Dearth go in favor of Purdum was going to put us on the brink of the apocalypse…

5. By GaryC on Dec 17, 2011 | Reply

jarron gilbert has signed with buffalo. I thought the jets switched his position and was trying to make him a tightend,what happened.

6. By wayne on Dec 17, 2011 | Reply

Are there any doubts bout Rex’s mouth at this point Spicer? He’s already slighted the Giants leading into next week’s game…..For you fans hoping Giants win this week then take their foot off the pedal, stop it….Coughlin’s not that kind of coach and after 3yrs of doing the fade, they’re going full bore to the finish. Jets must earn their way in this year. Three the hard way.

7. By Kurt on Dec 17, 2011 | Reply

Anyone know what unis we are wearing tomorrow? I need to make sure I have the right jersey on when I leave the house.

8. By Tom Spicer on Dec 18, 2011 | Reply

Page 115 of Sundays / todays New York Post only 2 tackles in the NFL have given up more QB hits than Wayne Hunter. There are 64 starting tackles in the NFL that means 61 guys have given up less QB hits than him thats terrible. This guy has got to go!

9. By wayne on Dec 18, 2011 | Reply

That kid is so good he got Tom64 to compliment you boy…..And that’s tantamount to H.E. (double hockey sticks) freezing over………GQ is just beginning to hold guys on the field accountable. Things he couldn’t do early because they gave him vets. Blame mgt for that but, you play with cards you’re dealt. He took too long to grab a hold…..Let’s see how he does against a rush that surely coming today. Can Jets win it all with GQ, I say it now as I said many times before, yes. But I don’t believe in no stinkin’ “IT” foolishness……………………..He’s probably learned a few things seeing the TIM TEBOW show……And that ain’t a bad thing………Read bout the story of Joseph….Jacob’s son……………..How far he went

10. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 18, 2011 | Reply

Good pt about Hunter, Spicer, another guy that needs some real competition for the starting job next yr which is one reason I say the draft order should be S, OL, WR, LB, RB, DL, S, OL, and more picks or something close to that. wayne, are there really people saying the Giants might lay down for the Jet game? In the stadium they share with us? After the way they played the Pats at the end of the yr when they beat them in the SB? scjoe, HC’s are like girlfriends, if they aren’t already taken, they’re not even worth going after. That said, I don’t think our only option in replacing Rex, when the time comes, is poaching somebody from another team. Rex himself isn’t much more than a DC and it won’t be impossible to find a HC better than that.

11. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 18, 2011 | Reply

Truly a dream day for Row: Clemens throwing to Danario Alexander on the Rams! (But he’s only hit him once for 5 yds so far, and only put up 6 pts.)

12. By wayne on Dec 18, 2011 | Reply

The BigAnts didn’t show up for a game today. Dropped balls galore and missed assignments….I suspect they’ll be all in next week. It will be the first playoff game of the 2012 season.

13. By wayne on Dec 18, 2011 | Reply

Spicer, I’ll make my comments more vanilla for RANDY………Tim Tebow was given a team that was beyond floundering. They then traded his best WR and was looking to dump other offensive talent…..They did everything to put this kid in position NOT to succeed……THAT IS NOT THE SCENARIO UNDER WHICH MR. SANCHEZ ENTERED THE NFL……THIS IS HIS 3RD YEAR………NO COMPARISON, IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM. Den was a mess on offense AND defense before MR. TIM TEBOW STEPPED IN TO INSPIRED HIS TEAMMATES.

14. By 38 year fan on Dec 18, 2011 | Reply

Officiating is terrible in Philly .. How the heck is dixon flagged 15 when vick lowered his head into him ?

15. By 38 year fan on Dec 18, 2011 | Reply

Down 21 on the road …It’s disgusting …We got to come back and win this game …TIME TO MAN UP

16. By 38 year fan on Dec 18, 2011 | Reply

Schotty with 38 yards so far …

17. By 38 year fan on Dec 18, 2011 | Reply

Can we FIRE Schotty at half time ? We could do better in a two minute, no huddle , for the rest of the game ….

18. By GaryC on Dec 18, 2011 | Reply

Ah, those who seek help from others usually cannot uphold their end of the bargain. Like I stated earlier,Celek one of the most underrated tightends is having a pretty good game, so much for Pool not hurting us that much at safety.

19. By MPC on Dec 18, 2011 | Reply

I am so glad I will be away for next weeks game, cause with nothing to play for, the Giants still with everything to play for. It could be really ugly just like today!
    They are what they are, average at best!

20. By davetharave on Dec 18, 2011 | Reply

A humilating embarrassment. Comments are meaningless.

21. By joe on Dec 18, 2011 | Reply

Spicer for once we agree the guy HUNTER is beyong terrible

22. By sal on Dec 18, 2011 | Reply

I knew this years was going to be a waste, with the players they let go, cosistancy is the key to sucess, and when you let key cosistant players go, your done, they dont grow on tress, arogance with Mike T or Rex, I don know, It will be a while before they ate resoecyed again. They are not New England baltimore or any other relavent team year to year. alomost got me for the tickets, jokes on you

23. By wayne on Dec 18, 2011 | Reply

JETS CANNOT DEAL WITH SPEED…..Y’ALL WILL WRITE ABOUT HOW THIS ONE DID THIS OR THAT. THE REAL PROBLEM IS A LACK OF TEAM SPEED……….AND PARTICULARLY IN THE FRONT SEVEN. IF YOU CAN’T THREATEN MICHAEL VICK YOU CANNOT AFFECT HIS GAME. YOU CAN’T HOLD THE EDGE IF YOU DON’T KNOW WHERE THE EDGE. ALL HE HAS TO DO IS DIP AND GO WIDER WITH NO ONE FAST ENOUGH TO KEEP UP…………………..As I said to Ira, this game reminds me of the Raiders game…. Too much speed at too many position for Jets to deal with………………….Mother of all game takes place Saturday…Both teams with everything to gain or lose……..Should be fun. Maybe not for GQ…….JPP.

24. By Kevin65Fan on Dec 18, 2011 | Reply

Oh well….just about dead now. With Cincy’s easier schedule last 2 games and if we tie…we are done. Stupid mistakes in first half seriously deflated everything on this team. After dinner I went to watch some 4th quarter…no sense of urgency…calling for screen plays…come on Schotty…throw the darn ball down the field…try to pick up 20..30…40 yard chunks…this rinky dink garbage brings back horrible memories of Joe Walton. Go to Miami Schotty…i’ll pay for your ticket “one-way”. McElroy get ready for the new play-book. What date is the draft..???? Only thing to look forward too….Any chance of moving up to draft Luck…oh yea, what luck would that be.

25. By Karan on Dec 18, 2011 | Reply

Boy, am I glad I missed today’s game, loll. If we win the next two games, we’ll be in the playoffs. Lose even one more and that is it. Losing Leonhard hurts again.

26. By scjoe on Dec 18, 2011 | Reply

64, you talk about competition for Wayne Hunter at RT next year? Are you serious? For the life of me I can not understand how this guy even has a roster spot. What can that possibly say about the O Line depth on this team? If they are all that bad that they can’t replace Hunter it is a much worse situation then I believed it was. As for today’s game? I guess we all got that big question answered, contenders or pretenders?

27. By GaryC on Dec 18, 2011 | Reply

I guess next weeks game is for gagging rights to the city.

28. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 18, 2011 | Reply

The only thing Sanchez might’ve learned from Tebow today, wayne, is how to take what might be an NFL record-setting 27-yd sack — though I must admit, scrambling so pointlessly in the backfield that you end up running straight into the arms of defenders for sacks is a pretty neat trick too. NE’s D is vulnerable but aggressive and able to pressure the QB, so today they exposed Tebow for the pompous poser he is. The guy should be converted into a FB or TE, which leads to the 1st thing I posted last Sunday when some on this site were getting a little too euphoric: “Who’s gonna cover Celek?” Answer: No one, as he racks up the most yds for a PHI TE since…1965! More on that later, but don’t tell me we don’t need almost all new guys at S and LB.

29. By GaryC on Dec 18, 2011 | Reply

ohio state did have a great receiver who did not fumble,let the ball go through his hands and did not bring attention onto himself, and his name was Paul Warfield,take notice Mr.HOLMES.

30. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

Holmes has fumbled 4 times in 3 yrs, GaryC, that’s not his problem, his behavior as a captain is but then many of us said captains should always be voted on. Great line about gagging rights, though. wayne, you’re dead wrong, Sanchez actually had very weak WRs his 1st yr, J-Co (a #1 in no one’s book), a promising Stuckey, a dreadful Smith, then he only got Edwards mid-yr. You’re right about the Jets and speed but all wrong about Tebow, he has no magical power over a team that has had a tough D even in its worst yrs and Thomas was a great pick, that’s why they let go Marshall, who’s overrated and too expensive, and Lloyd insisted on a trade. scjoe, I always advocate giving a guy competition or downgrading him to a backup before dumping him.

31. By Row on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

Where is Drew Coleman? Lol Atogwe would’ve been a great addition. No answer from Rex, he’s out of his league now. We played horrible. Just say no comment. Sanchez once again called himself an embarrassment, I agree. Will the real New York Jets please stand up? The whole team is deflated and there is no pop whatsoever on defense. Never seen a special teams group muff so many punts and kicks, ever! 9-7 sorry guys, no playoffs. Go Jets

32. By joe on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

Tom the STEELERS let the guy go for almost nothing (5th rounder)we know why now =didnt want to deal with his nonsense no matter his talent.LOL WHATS REX DUE MAKES HIM A CAPTAIN

33. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

But you have to be happy about Clemens’ 25-yd TD pass to Alexander, Row!

34. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

Making someone a captain instead of letting players vote on it is a big mistake in my book, joe. But no team as slow and lacking in playmakers as the Jets could ever afford to turn up its nose at Holmes or for that matter Cromartie, whose pickoff of Favre vs. SD in 2008 was exactly the kind of play that no DB other than Revis has made for the Jets in yrs. As long as we’re pretending that guys like Smith and Leonhard are NFL starters, I don’t have too much to say about “dealing with Holmes’ nonsense.” I’m more worried about Holmes dealing with OUR nonsense re not being able to throw the ball downfield in an era when that’s the 1st thing you need to do to win. Oh well, Woody won’t stand for more than another yr of this, er, “nonsense…”

35. By joe on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

Tom as usual your 100 % correct in EVERY SINGLE ASPECT .The word PRETEND is the HALLMARK of this team .We pretend this a SUPERBOWL CALIBER TEAM We pretend we can win a superbowl without an elite qb with an outdated offence .We pretend we have a fantastic defence