Steve-O App-lies Himself for NFL Fans Everywhere

Posted by Steve Overmyer on December 22, 2011 – 8:59 am

Our good friend and former newyorkjets.com blogger Steve Overmyer has developed an app for fans of the NFL and all its teams. You can check it out at season-pass-football on itunes. And here’s Steve to tell you a little about how it all came about:

My quest to find the most knowledgeable football fans has led me to this realization. The Jets fans actually have the most football smarts. The stats prove it!

The story starts way back in August when I was arguing with my cousin in Indiana about which fans know the most football. His contention was that the Colts fans keep up with more teams because they used to play in the AFC East and now the AFC South (along with their proximity to the Bears and their rivalries). I felt that with so many teams in the Northeast along with the biggest TV markets, New York would be my pick. I mean, we argue about sports all the time and use historical references to back it up.

How do we settle this argument? I was surprised to find out there WASN’T an “app for that.” So my friends and I decided to make one.

We had to start by creating a database of football trivia questions. But the questions had to be fun, unique and engaging. We got a team of friends to help research and write more than 800 questions ranging from NFL History to Stats to Memorable Plays to Films About Football.

The first 100 were easy, because they were off the top of my head. Let me tell ya, I have a lot more respect for those who write questions for a living. The questions have to be worded so that there can be only one possible answer. And they have to be relevant!

I could take you through the amazing process of creating an app and explain how our team at Square One worked together in the most collaborative way, but that’s for another time. Let’s just pretend we’re on one of those cooking shows, and the pre-made cake was magically baked in 10 seconds. With app fully completed and in hand, we had tailgaters from all over the nation play Season Pass.

What we found was that while fans in each city knew their team very well, fans in New York had the best overall knowledge of the league. Most of the Indianapolis fans remembered that Peyton Manning shared an MVP with Steve McNair but couldn’t tell you who took back the fumble in the ’78 Miracle in the Meadowlands. Jets fans not only knew all four of their team’s 2000 first-round draft picks but also knew who was the son of “Huggy Bear.”

I had a feeling the Jets fans would step up to the challenge, but the numbers were staggering. After Sunday’s tally was complete, here are the rankings based on fan points:

1. New York Jets fans — 230,254

2. New York Giants fans — 84,165

3. Houston fans —- 55,680

4. Indianapolis fans — 40,585

5. Chicago fans — 33,297

As the number of people playing the app has increased dramatically, the numbers are bound to change. For now though, the Jets fans are at the top of the heap. So leave your comments and tell us why you think Jets fans know so much more about the NFL at itunes.apple.com/us/app/season-pass-football.

Posted in Steve Overmyer | 16 Comments »

16 Responses to “Steve-O App-lies Himself for NFL Fans Everywhere”

1. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 22, 2011 | Reply

Can someone invent an app for covering Gronkowski and Hernandez?

2. By GaryC on Dec 22, 2011 | Reply

or a GPS for tracking down where the opponents tightends are,we certainly can’t find them.

3. By Tom Spicer on Dec 22, 2011 | Reply

This game will come down to the O line will they block for Greene & Sanchez? Also our front 7 can they pressure Eli? There secondary is a mess we can throw on them if the O line blocks & we can run on them there D is not good. On the other side of the ball We have great corners but if the front 7 does not pressure Eli eventually they will get open & they have had problems running the ball. O line block & front 7 get after Eli & win we plain & simple.

4. By GaryC on Dec 22, 2011 | Reply

Bart Scott needs to stop flapping his lips that the game is not that important for bragging rights, to the fans it might mean more,Bart, just try to make an open field tackle when Bradshaw comes at you,will be the first one all year.

5. By logan on Dec 22, 2011 | Reply

Ryan set the bar high this season and now he is seeing the scorn from the long suffering Jet fan, it’s his own fault. Boy Rookie was supposed have matured he was made captain, told it was his team he did not deliver, also well deserved scorn.. Beating the Giants and limping into the playoffs only to be demolished by the first good team will not take away the bad taste this season has left.Major changes are needed in virtually every area of this team from top to bottum

6. By Karan on Dec 22, 2011 | Reply

I can’t stand Gronkowski or Hernandez, but boy oh boy are those two talented. We have a very talented Tight End ourselves, we just don’t how to use him. I’ll tell ya one thing, if Tom Moore was offensive coordinator, Dustin Keller would be in the pro bowl by now. Thanks for nothing, Schottenheimer, I can’t wait till you leave this organization.

7. By scjoe on Dec 22, 2011 | Reply

spicer, how many teams have we gone up against this year who had problems in the secondary? NE would be the very first that comes to mind but I still didn’t see us lite up the scoreboard, so what makes you think we can do it this week? Also, how many teams did we go up against that had problems stopping the run? We didn’t exactly lite up the scoreboard on those defenses either. At this point I don’t know exactly where to point the finger, maybe that is because I don’t have enough fingers to point.

8. By logan on Dec 22, 2011 | Reply

Thinking back on this season, the two Patriot loses hurt especially the one on our turf, just reminds may of the the old Dolphin- Marino/days. The Denver one really hurt, terrible ending, The Ravens one was tought just because of the way the manhandled and humilated us. But this Philly loss for some reason was the worst for me, sums up the whole season, an old fashioned blow out. Won”t see much of the Jets on national TV next year i’ll bet

9. By scjoe on Dec 22, 2011 | Reply

Karan, I am not exactly a loyal fan of Shotty. I would like to see a change myself at this point, wouldn’t hurt, but what leads you to believe that inserting Tom Moore as an OC would suddenly solve all the offensive woes that this team has? I think they go way beyond the OC, no matter who it is.

10. By GaryC on Dec 22, 2011 | Reply

Jets secondary better be alert, Eli loves to heave the ball downfield to pick up the cheap 15 yards, are you listening cromartie and please keep your hands off the receivers for those illegal holding and automatic first downs.

11. By Charliejet on Dec 22, 2011 | Reply

Tom Moore is 73 years old – he is in kinda in semi-retirement now.

12. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 22, 2011 | Reply

It’s all of the above, guys (and gals). Not that it’s hopeless, just that a lot of the bills are coming due at once. I can’t see how something isn’t changed in the Rex/Sanchez/Schotty triumvirate next yr, even if it’s just Schotty leaving or getting a backup QB good enough to threaten for the starting job, like Skelton (a Fordham boy, yay!) is doing with Kolb. Winning big — in ANYTHING in my view, not just football — has a lot to do with killer instinct or if you don’t like the implications of that phrase, raw desire to succeed. As Lombardi said, “Winning isn’t everything, but the effort to win is the only thing.” Tellling Greene to take a knee so the Redskins don’t have time to rally is about as far from killer instinct as you can get!

13. By Karan on Dec 22, 2011 | Reply

Well, I speak only from an offensive standpoint. Put in a new offensive coordinator with a new offensive system, not players but system and all should be well. Moore is an offensive guru, Mark will do well under his system and reach his full potential. Brian is holding him back like he held back Philip Rivers.

14. By joe on Dec 23, 2011 | Reply

EVERYTIME you ever hear a word out of ANY FOOTBALL AUTHORITY TODAY ITS ALWAYS THE SAME MESSAGE=ITS A QUARTERBACK DRIVEN LEAGUE .All the other problems aside Sanchez is NO WHERE NEAR GOOD ENOUGH Mike Francessa said it the other day .TODAY you dont play the PACKERS SAINTS COLTS OR STEELERS YOU PLAY TEAM ROGERS TEAM BREES TEAM MANNING OR TEAM ROTHESBURGER.If you got one of the above (and a few great recievers)everything else pales .LOOK AT THE COLTS RECORD THE PAST FEW YEARS and compare it to 2011 IT IS THE IDENTICAL TEAM MINUS JUST1 GUY.

15. By joe on Dec 23, 2011 | Reply

ps You can bring in Mike Martz ,Tom Moore, Charlie Weiss IT DOESNT MATTER as they cant give SANCHEZ abilitys he doesnt have.A coach is only as good as his talent Give Schotty BRADY MANNING or BREES ROGERS this teams A SUPERBOWL CONTENDER TODAY AS IS(schotty or not

16. By joe on Dec 23, 2011 | Reply

CASE in point THE PATRIPOTS have had. CORDINATER AFTER CORDINATER the past 10 years IT DOESNT MATTER AS LONG AS BRADY IS THERE