Rex: Jets’ Biggest Hurdle Sunday Is in Miami

Posted by Randy Lange on December 26, 2011 – 4:55 pm

Rex Ryan today talked of hope and possibilities.

That, in fact, was the hook in the Jets head coach’s talk with his players today, two days after their bitterly disappointing loss to the Giants and a day after Christmas, as he told the team’s reporters on a conference call this afternoon.

“Going forward, what I talked to the players about today was that there’s hope and possibilities. Obviously the game against Miami is critical,” Ryan said. “When you look at all the factors involved, the most difficult thing to happen, I think, is for us to beat the Dolphins.

“They’re playing extremely well, doing a great job on defense. [Coordinator] Mike Nolan’s doing a great job down there, he has those guys really playing. And then offensively, they’re moving the ball well. I don’t know the health issues of Reggie Bush but he’s had a great year, 1,000 yards rushing. Of all the scenarios, that might be the biggest one.”

The Jets’ entire new playoff scenario in a nutshell is that they need to beat the Dolphins while they also need the Titans to lose to the Texans, also at 1 p.m. ET, while they also need the Bengals to fall to the Ravens and either the Broncos to lose to the Chiefs or the Raiders to lose to the Chargers.

All of those last three games will kick off at 4:15 p.m. after the NFL made its last flexible scheduling changes Sunday. So the timeline will be that the Jets will fly out of Fort Lauderdale knowing either that the are in all likelihood out of the playoffs if Tennessee wins, but if the Titans lose, the Jets will then know when they land back in Newark on New Year’s Night if they have a wild-card game to prepare for the following weekend.

This is the fate they have made for themselves with the losses to the Eagles and Giants the past two weeks. But it is the only rocky road left for the Green & White to make it to the playoffs, and as Ryan said, “You’d hate to have everything fall into place and us not take care of our own business, so that’s where our focus is. When the guys come back on Wednesday, we’ll be dialed in, everything will be behind us, and we’ll still have an opportunity to make the playoffs, albeit not near as good as it would’ve been if we had beaten the Giants.”

As far as that game, Ryan said, “You’ve got to give credit to the Giants. They played a great game, they played a better game than us. They deserved to win.”

One question dealt specifically with Ryan’s talking during the week’s buildup to the Giants showdown and the fact that some Giants players said some of that talk had them feeling disrespected.

“I think the day I walked in here, maybe I felt that I didn’t want to be the little brother or whatever … that’s who I am,” he said. “Maybe it’s not the traditional way of doing things or whatever, but for me this is who I am, this is how I believe. I made the statements and like I said before, I’ll stand by everything I said. Did it work out? No, and I’ll be the first one to say it never worked out. I’m responsible for that. And obviously the Giants were the better team that day, without question, so I deserve the criticism that I take for it. I definitely deserve it.”

The criticism won’t be going away anytime soon if this weekend doesn’t work out in the Jets’ favor. Some will say that no matter what, the Jets don’t deserve the playoffs, but as Will Munny says in “Unforgiven,” “Deserve’s got nothin’ to do with it.” The system is what it is. The Jets are in this position because of how they’ve played, both good and bad, along with how a lot of other teams around them have played.

One might say the Jets deserve whatever they get. If they win and squeak in again with the help of others, as they did in ’09 and ’02, or if they win and get bumped by the tiebreakers, or if they have no answers for the ‘Fins and lose on Sunday, then that’s what they’ll merit.

But winning always beats the alternative. So here’s a vote for seeing the Jets’ best this week, having a rockin’ New Year’s Eve, whether in Times Square or South Beach, and then seeing where the Jets’ final regular-season effort on the first day of 2012 takes them.

Rex Cetera

Ryan said S Brodney Pool had some headaches during the game but has been cleared medically to play Sunday. S Eric Smith continues to fight through a knee injury, and Sanchez “took some hits but he’s fine.” The coach thinks all of his current roster will be available for the ‘Fins.

Tags: , , , ,

146 Responses to “Rex: Jets’ Biggest Hurdle Sunday Is in Miami”

1. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 26, 2011 | Reply

What did I say yesterday about Rex scrambling to hold his own in Woody’s office? It sure sounds like somebody read him the riot act because here he is today, talking about the lack of “explosion plays” and saying that long drives are hard. Actually, long drives are sometimes even pointless given how the game is played today. Well, better late than never, I suppose, especially if Rex is setting up some kind of deal whereby he shuts his mouth and dumps Sanchez and Schotty in exchange for Woody giving him another chance with a new QB, OC, and philosophy on O. But it’s pretty pathetic that it took him almost a full 3 yrs to wake up to the reality of the pass-first NFL, which is why I’ll cry no tears if he’s gone in a week.

2. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 26, 2011 | Reply

Ira makes the big time, if not in the most pleasant context. From the NFL website: “At some point this season, Ryan lost perspective on the limitations of his team. He talked them up as Super Bowl favorites before the season, then continued to do it even after Fireman Ed, Ira from Staten Island, and every other Jets fan knew that was far from the case. Ryan made Giants Week a playground for his own ego and came out of it with a huge black mark on his résumé. We never thought this was possible about anything, but Brandon Jacobs is 100 percent right.”

3. By joe on Dec 26, 2011 | Reply

And if they are lucky enough to get in what then .Its been a year since this team beat another team with a winning record .THIS year the 3x they faced (Ne and Baltimore ) THEY BASICALLY GOT DESTROYED .

4. By robertpapalia on Dec 26, 2011 | Reply

Randy, it is what it is. The Jets don`t deserve to make the playoffs. i hope they lose to the Dolphins this week so they can get on with making over this team. A really disapointing year all the way around.

5. By Jersey Joe on Dec 26, 2011 | Reply

I think we all have to be realistic about this – the season was over when the Jets got exposed against Philadelphia (some might say Patriots) For the future hopes of this loyal fan-base I think a loss against Miami would send a message that wholesale changes need to be made, starting with certain coaches. Drafting 16th in every round is better than 28th for a team in dyer need of young talent and SPEED on both sides of the ball. I have been a Sanchez fan since we got him but,, after three full seasons I don’t see progress, more importantly he suffers from huge lapses in concentration, his development has been hindered by this staff. I just watched a 23 year old Matt Stafford dismantle the Chargers – the Lions have gone from continued…

6. By Another Tom on Dec 26, 2011 | Reply

We will have a longer off season this year to evalute our needs..thats the good news. A new OC is #1, RT is #2..Safeties #3. Hopefully Turner , Cumberland and Mcelroy all recover from injuries to provide solid depth. We should also sign a legitimate veteran QB to compete with MS [Campbell, Flynn ]. it was a joke to have Brunell as a number 2 QB..

7. By Jersey Joe on Dec 26, 2011 | Reply

an 0-16 laughingstock to a dangerous playoff contender under coach Schwartz. While it looks like the Jets are headed in the other direction – I don’t think free agents are the answer, teams don’t let their best players bolt – unless there’s something wrong or the guy makes outrageous contract demands. Look what the Steelers do – they have a system and they draft players to fit into it. The Jet scouts seem to strike out more often than strike gold in the draft. I haven’t been this depressed about our team since the Kotite era – or more embarrassed to be a Jet Fan

8. By TONY GARCIA on Dec 26, 2011 | Reply

Jet fan since 1969.One game at a time a interesting off season is coming up regardless of how season ends.

9. By Donovan G. on Dec 26, 2011 | Reply

I know this has nothing to do with this article but is it me or does this offense really miss Braylon Edwards? I mean Plax is alright both have the height but Braylon is much faster so he would be able to stretch the field more. That was the reason for Santonio’s success last year in my opinion. Not only that but Braylon and Holmes seemed more interested playing together.The two recievers we have now don’t look like they want to be JETS at times. San Fran only siigned him for one year so he will be a free agent. He’s having an off year there so there’s no way he can ask for lots of money. Give Sanchez his old recievers back and fire Shotty then see what happens. If he then doesn’t succeed JETS must look elsewhere. Just wishing just wishing.

10. By 38 year fan on Dec 26, 2011 | Reply

Vinnie Testaverdi would probably make a good offensive coordinator . I think we need a ex QB to run the show right now . With PROVEN experience …Look how good Harbaugh is doing ..

11. By 38 year fan on Dec 26, 2011 | Reply

This was one of the most painfull years to watch …

12. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

Rex says Sanchez is still his guy, like he’s gonna say he isn’t when you have the playoffs on the line on Sunday. When the time comes to say Sanchez isn’t his guy he’ll say it, just like he did with Woodhead, Clowney, and that nonsense about the great Tracy Wilson, who was no help against Cruz and Nicks last Saturday. Rex’s obvious insincerity when talking about the team, or just about anything else, is one of the things I dislike most about him. Of course, if he doesn’t stop this stuff about coaching the Jets for 10 or 15 yrs, his problem is one for the shrinks, not the Jets. Most guys who’ve coached a team for more than 3 or 4 yrs have usually won something. Or at least not made fools of themselves arguing with players down on the field.

13. By Howie D on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

My self imposed 48-hour cool off period is over, and my conclusion is the same as it was 3 years ago…SCHOTTY’S THE WEAKEST LINK! SCHOTTY MUST GO! The handful of folks who consider Schotty a “Fall Guy” simply don’t know the game. When players are cut from the team they’re usually asked to leave their play books behind. When Schotty goes we should make sure he takes his play book with him.

14. By Howie D on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

I agree with the fans who want Rex to tone down the talk. He’s the HC and he represents the fans too. He’s embarrassed me with his behavior, particularly with his contrived rivalry with the Giants. Jets and Giants fans have always peacefully coexited. My brother is a Giants fan and we cheer for each other, especially when there’s only one of us standing. It’s stupid, especially when he doesn’t have the insight to realize that the guy he’s defending – Schotty – is the reason he’s got egg on his face. Woody should draw the line and reprimand him. Rex is not the Jets, he’s a representative who should behave professionally and not embarrass the team and its fans.

15. By sal on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

another hurdle will be Rex’s mouth, if they dont do a houdini w/ time and money spent on Tom Moore, all the offenive coaches rex may have had things to say about, like Norv a good OC but another coordinator trying the head coaching thing that hasnt worked out regardless of talent, which he had plenty of. Would they want to work for him, but money talks I guess.That is on thing I can give to Rex, not having the best of talent but getting the players he has had to 2 championship games

16. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

Funny how after Brees throws 39 times to set a new 5,000-yd record and Ryan throws 52 times to try to beat the Saints, nobody’s shocked over how many times the ball was thrown by two good teams and one great team. You either have the QBs who can make the throws or you don’t, and the great teams have them, not “game managers” whose every failing has to be denied, defended, dismissed, rationalized, and thus perpetuated…

17. By IRA on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

Randy, The Jets have nobody to blame but themselves for being in this position. All i can hope for is that the Jets are still alive for a playoff spot at 4pm. At least that will extend the season to the end and hope we get a HUGE break and get in.
    While a lot of these posts are so negative and i can’t blame any one, I still will try and stay positive.
    GO JETS!!!!

18. By GaryC on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

what is the over on how many Good Bye Shotty banners we will see down in Miami with the jet fans down there attending the game.Memories of the good bye allie for the giant fans.

19. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

Well, Ira, I’m tired of praying for breaks — funny how we never did that during the Namath era, we were just happy if Joe was healthy enough to play — and I think what’s negative is sticking with what’s clearly not working. While anything can always happen if you get into the playoffs, the possibility of much good happening for us seems to be going down drastically. What’s most shocking to me, of course, is that Rex seems to have some grandiose delusion that he can’t be fired. But then, what would you expect of someone whose badly coached team plays as badly as it has these last two weeks and whose first response to that is to make the preposterous boast to a player on the other (victorious) team, “Wait till we win the Super Bowl”?!?!?!?!

20. By Frank on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

I agree with Ira there is no need to pile on with the flaws of this team while we still have a chance to make the playoffs. The players and the coaching staff can still redeem themselves if some how they make the playoffs and make a run. It doesn’t look good right now but it didn’t look good two years ago either. If they don’t make it we have the entire offseason to vent. With the way this team is playing it will be a tall order for them just to win this game let alone everything that has to happen.

21. By logan on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

The Jets are an 8 and 8 team I can see giving the Quaterback another year but they with out a doubt have to make that change at Offensive Co. They are going to end up 26th this year he has had plenty of time, it just has not worked out. I’m sure he is a hard worker and well liked (otherwise he would have been gone 3 years ago) kick him upstairs or sideways in someway but it is time to go. They need new blood, fresh attitude and someone who can adjust the offensive that takes advantage of the excellant core talant this team has

22. By Chicago Bob on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

Let’s be realistic, this team isn’t going anywhere this season. They did the right thing when they got Wilkerson now do the right thing in the 2012 draft and get a complement for him on the other side. Do people really think that Dixon, Devito or Pitoitua are the answer at RDE? Look what Philly did to Sanchez with their pass rush. Remember the opportunities the D created for the O when the Jets had the Sack Exchange rushing the passer. A great D will make an O look that much better by winning the battle of field position and creating turnovers and that starts with a pass rush. WE NEED TO BE ABLE TO GET TO THE QB and it isn’t going to happen by drafting a ROT, RB, QB or WR, this team needs another defensive end and some OLB’s with speed.

23. By GaryC on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

People get real, tom moore is not coming to the jets as a full time coordinator, he is already collecting his pension,that is why he left colts,why would he leave Manning anyway unless forced to.By the way can I trade Jordy Nelson for Plastico yet.Sure looks like a good deal now, see I wasn’t crazy when people did not know who Nelson was.

24. By IRA on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

Frank,
    You took the words right out of my mouth. The biggest hurdle is the Jets beating the Fish. The other scenarios i think could happen. I will say it again. Hou can not go into the PO’s losing 3 straight games and also play it the way Cin did in 09. If they do and lay down this week Tenn will beat them in the WC Game for sure.
    As for Sanchez he is taking way too many hits for what has happened up until today. I believe most of his problems this year are because of the shake up in the WR group and the lack of a commitment to running the ball. Plus of course the lack of consistent play from the OL.
    All of this will be fixed after the year. Right now i want to beat the Fish.

25. By wayne on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

Braylon Edwards is free….Some here will start wishing on a star again……If you want this QB to possibly grow, you better get him some young WRs he can lead and chew out when necessary…….Not primadonnas………………………..As for OC: Once is a mistake, twice a coincidence, but thrice is a habit. It’s who you are…..Every QB he touches can only throw a 4yd pass…….I am not a GQ guy. They overreached for him, he’s so give him what he needs to succeed…..Fortify the run game and get him some young fast WRs……………………….. AFTER ADDING SPEED TO THE DEFENSE.

26. By Kevin65Fan on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

Edwards just released by 49ers….pick him up now…for next year guys…do the smart thing….

27. By Mike V on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

Does anybody else remember the NYJ edition of HBO’s “Hard Knox” when Namath told Sanchez and Rex (and the other coaches) in a meeting that the way Sanchize takes snap under center is going to lead to fumble(s) and everybody laughed, rolled their eyes, and blew off Joe Willie? Well guess what? JWN was right again! In the biggest game of the year MS fumbled the snap on the goal line and the game might just as well ended there. Another thing, every QB above the age of 10 knows to get rid of the ball in the end zone if you are going to take a sack… don’t double clutch and then throw to a lineman! That fumble killed us and the saftey finished us off. MS has absolutely no situational or game awareness, he’s just clueless and scared!

28. By joeticketholder on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

I agree with most everything said by the rest of us long suffering fans here. I would hope someone in the front office would read some of this stuff and pay attention. Because we have been declining each year in important areas. Mistakes were made but something needs to be learned and action needs to be taken. Yes, as we’ve said for a while new OC is #1 with a whole new offensive staff. Mr T. needs to learn not to be cheap with the offensive linemen and get a couple of studs in there. We need at least one decent safety, and we have the worst kicking tandem in the NFL, can we get someone who knows what direction the goal posts are in? And will we ever see a pass rush and more than 1 sack per game from our defensive???

29. By fred on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

I am with Ira on this one- let the season play out. Long time Jet fans on this site should realize that only a handful of seasons have lasted into the new year with a meaningful game to be played. The off season will be here soon enough.

30. By kleckofan on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

Yeah, I just read the ESPN article about Rex still v. confident in Sanchez and Schotty…more smoke and mirror garbage. I suggest Rex takes a course in bland cliches this off season, could be the most important move we make. He has become a cartoon and an embarrassment (and I have a signed Rex photo in my office). Agree that the NFL has morphed into a totally QB driven league; we will not win w an avg to below avg QB. A suggestion for players, coaches, bloggers: stop saying “it is what it is”..what the heck does that mean? Nothing, a total waste of words, like saying “and so forth and so on” when you run out of examples…meaningless. Sorry, just a petr peave.

31. By logan on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

I’m a Rex Ryan supporter I hope he has many good years here, it’s one thing the Jets never really had a long term stable coach. That being said I can’t help thinking with that huge fine, the confrontation with the Giant player, the talking all year that has backfired and the decline in the defense and most facets of the team this year that if the Fish beat us up bad something might be up. For all we know they have feelers out to one of the big three and if they indicate any interest it is not inconcievable that the Rex Ryan era will end, It’s all up to Woody he may have formed the opinon Ryan does not have the self control or offensive skills to get the team back to where the belong

32. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

Honest words from Bondy in the Daily News, kleckofan: “It was important for Ryan to douse the brushfires, because reports have been floating around for weeks that the Jets are fully aware they don’t have Johnny Unitas under center and would consider alternatives in the off-season. Sanchez has won four playoff games. Let’s not kid ourselves, however. He threw for less than 200 yards last January in each of those postseason victories over the Colts and Patriots. He did not light up anybody. He can manage manageable games. He does not own the arm accuracy, the field vision or playmaking abilities to spin straw into gold. In his 3rd pro year, Sanchez hasn’t just plateaued. He’s rolled backwards.”

33. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

Don’t forget the Mayan calendar, Ira, that was working against Sanchez, too!

34. By Tom Spicer on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

Mike V, Mangold came out & said I snapped the ball into my own leg & that cause the fumble I blew it.

35. By Donovan G on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

It’s kind of strange that I said yesterday how Braylon Edwards is missed for this offense. A day later San Fran. releases him. All I’m saying is get him back in a JETS uniform. Let Holmes be a slot for now and if we reach the playoffs. next year let Plax go then it will be recievers with experience with Sanchez with Kerley back in the slot.But JETS won’t do it so just wishing just wishing.

36. By Tom Spicer on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

The Jets need to admit there mistake & go out & sign Braylon Edwards he was cut by th 49ers. 1 Dont let this season fool you he had knee surgery mid year 2 he was Marks deep threat they were building great chemisrty 3 The 49ers wanted to go young & they have a dink & dunk pass game all run game with a great D. So his skill set is not needed there. We no longer have a good running game & our D is no longer up to snuff. Go out & get Braylon back he is better then Plax at this stage in Plax career. Holmes, Braylon & Plax now that is a core that will put a QB in a position to suceed! Tell Plax he is the number 3 when he is in the game put Holmes in the slot. I have said this many times chamionship caliber teams have AT LEAST 3 good WRS!

37. By GaryC on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

Don’t know why some of my posts are not getting through, some of the hierarchy cannot be that thin skinned, or are they,just saying.

38. By AZ JET Fan on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

One of the worst seasons ever? Cmon 64 are you kidding me? Although expectations were high this year, anytime the Jets have a chance to make the playoffs on the last weekend of the season is way better then some of the seasons I can remember, and I’m way younger then you. I agree the Jets have their problems and I think Rex should have some boundaries, but he was or is exactly what the Jets have needed. Even when they were good they lacked confindence. Anyway, It is better to go to the dance with and ugly chick then not be able to get a date at all. Go Jets

39. By AZ JET Fan on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

whoops, I meant 38 year fan not 64 tom.

40. By Joe P. on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

First and foremost, Schotty and Cavanaugh must go. We all need to give Sanchez ONE more chance with a good OC and QB coach. The kid obviously has physical talent, but man has he been bottom-of-the-heap terrible at times this year! I have my doubts about Sanchez … some things just can’t be taught. However, I do think that throwing him out right now would be a mistake. How about this for an idea – Chad Pennington for QB coach. Not sure if he’d be interested, but if Sanchez had Chad’s intangibles (leadership, ability to read defenses, decision making, etc…), we’d be talking about a pro-bowl QB. Chad was so much better at the position, overall, but Sanchez has the physical tools and durability, hands down. Give the kid ONE more year

41. By Jersey Joe on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

Did the Jets brass over-rate Rex from day one? Look at his dad Buddy’s career in Chicago under head coach Ditka that was a one of a kind team/defense and both these guys got run out of town – then look what happened to Ditka – he was clueless in New Orleans, Buddy had a ton of talent in Philly but couldn’t win anything, got shipped to off to Arizona – Remember his now infamous quote to fans in the desert ” You got a winner in town” then 2 years later they ran this “winner” out of town. I see a parallel with Rex in Baltimore – wasn’t that basically Billick’s team and draft picks – pro-bowlers all over the place – what does Rex do, tries to put together a poor mans Raven’s D in New York.
    Without the talent and speed the Ravens had !

42. By Joe P. on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

The following players must be replaced in the starting lineup for next year, and my list is in priority order. (1) Wayne Hunter – I don’t recall seeing a Jet player have as bad a year. (2) Eric Smith – keep him as a back-up and ST player. (3) Bart Scott – came on at the end of the year, but looks a step slow. (4) Brandon Moore – was he hurt or did he just take 2 steps back? (5) Plaxico – would be OK as a red zone receiver, but clearly not a starter. (6) Shonn Greene – good for change of pace, but does not scare anyone. Other than that, I’m really disappointed in D’Brickashaw and Mangold. Both of them had terrible years relative to the past. Brick got beaten like a drum against elite DE’s and Mangold is horribly overrated.

43. By IRA on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

fred,
    Ditto PLEASE let us be alive at 4 pm and then we have 3 hours to hope for a break. That would at least make it an interesting way to finish up or go on to the follow week. I just can’t see Hou not trying to stop the bleeding this week. Imagine after all this outcry from all of us if we are in Hou the following week for a WC Game? It won’t cover up the work they need to do this offseason but it would sure be fun to play another game.
    GO JETS!!!!

44. By Bruce on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

Hey guys, I am hoping as I am fairly sure other people are too, that The New York Jets WIN against Miami and the Raiders, Bengals, Titans and or the Broncos lose. They all play against well teams, so it is hard to see what will happen. I am just praying and Hoping that we can go to the Super Bowl with a miracle. But we never know, until it happens.

45. By Jersey Joe on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

I actually like the idea of bringing in Chad Pennington as a QB coach – the guy displayed a great football mind and tactical awareness, just didn’t have the big time arm and NFL physique. Elevate Bill Callahan to Coordinator and dump all players over the age of 30 (except Pouha) draft speed – Put Holmes in the slot, he doesn’t run precise routes but I think he could be our version of Welker. Draft a big fast game-breaking Wide out and TE. Same thing on D, we need to find the next Ed Reed if he’s out there. Think we should play more 4-3 D and draft a pass rushing DE. Teams have figured out the blitz schemes Rex runs.

46. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

Thanks for that correction, AZ, I can certainly think of much worse Jet yrs. Spice, the question is whether Edwards is healthy or if these injuries have cost him a step. BE, Holmes, and Plax/Kerley as the #3/#4 (sorry, GaryC) would sure be good, but only if the QB can throw more than 10 20+ passes p/yr. logan, “stable” isn’t a word I’d use to describe Rex Ryan right now, although I know you meant it in terms of job security. I agree with the rest of your post, though, and I agree with Jersey Joe’s about the Rex/Buddy parallel and let’s not forget loudmouth Rob out in Dallas, predicting a HC job for himself before the Cowboys have even made the playoffs with him as DC! Call ‘em The Not Ready for Head Coaching Coaches and let Rex and Rob go.

47. By logan on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

Agree Gary C- If you are going to allow a site like this you can not overly censore comments, let the thing fly just no language, threats etc etc… Sometime there is absolutley no reason to reject a post, allow a free spirted debate or don’t have it at all we’ll go somewhere else to talk Jets. Just like we say with the officials sometimes JUST LET THEM PLAY THE GAME’ Watch this not get posted now

48. By joe on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

Guys i dont care who they get in here to coach OC ETC .Guys you could also bring in here the 76 STEELERS to play DEF AS THE ABOVE AINT GOING TO MATTER AT ALL in the end skyme of things .In todays NFL IF YOU DONT HAVE A QB FORGET ABOUT WINNING A SB.Just look at the COLTS (same team minus one guy )With all these new rules your offence has to be able to avg 30 points a game .Defences today are almost powerless (Cant touch the qb Cant touch the defencless wrs .Cant hit to the head )ITS A TRACKMEET

49. By joe on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

pS NEW OC thats going to do it.Mike Shannohan at Wash (great with qbs) .How did he do in turning GROSSMAN INTO ELWAY Rex Ryan (one of the best d coaches CORD IN THE NFL )how did he do turning Gholsten into Suggs .While were on the subject can Rex turn KYLE WILSON INTO REVIS. A coachs only as good as his talent .Someone mentioned Schartz (DET )do you guys realize the young talent on that team

50. By joe on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

JETS FAN SINCE 64 TOM I saw the article .Tom we can win the superbowl with Sanchez going against the likes of BRADY ROGERS BREES ROTHESBURGER.Who cares if they average 30 points plus a game.Who cares if their qbs throw for 5000 sand 50 tds a year (10 int ) a year Who cares if every one of them have played in the pro bowl and possess 7 plus LOMBBARDY TROPHYS between them Tom none of the above matters because we have REX (COMPLETE WITH HIS BIG MOUTH )we also have Sanchez and a offence that grounds and pounds teams into submission.

51. By kleckofan on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

I’m definitely not convinced putting effort back into Braylon is the answer, w everyone crying for true speed, he’s not the answer..health is a real concern.
    Plax shouldbe jetisoned (no pun…). JFT64, agree w Bondy’s assessment of Mark. Thanks. As I’ve said before, bringing in a new OC and keeping Mark ties us up for at least TWO more years; one to get to know the new coach/system and the next to see if it works…not sure I’m all in on that proposition. Love Rex’s bravado, but would take Mr. Gruden immediately…works well w QB’s, has league and player respect, knows “the lay of the land” in the league. Still behind the team but patience is thin…get a personnel analyst on board…Tanny and Rex aren’t that.

52. By joe on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

Back in the early 90s i lived with 15 guys who played at Penn State. These guys went on to play in the league (some were 1st and secound rounders )and or coach head coach at a Major top 20 DIVISION 1 team.My current business partner capt Nebraska 1995 national champion team (one of the best college team ever )hes in their hall of fame ,(hon mention all american)6 year NFL career. From all the above i learned one thing that many in the public are oblivious too Coaches coach players play.In the Nfl the key to success is the draft superviser not the head coach AT THIS LEVEL ONE COACH DOESNT KNPOW ANY MORE THAN THE OTHER .LOL one coach has AARON ROGERS the other has Rex Grossman

53. By Joe P. on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

Brick and Mangold in the pro bowl? Really? I think Brick got beat with either sacks, QB hits or pressures more this year than in his previous 3 years … COMBINED. Mangold gets something of a Mulligan because he did have that high ankle sprain, but can any long-suffering Jets fan honestly say that Mangold comes close to holding Kevin Mawae’s jock strap? Is Mangold considered a pro bowl level center because they “missed him” while he was hurt by replacing him with a JV player? Please! The lack of depth and the poor assessment of the talent level is all on Mr. T and the coaches.

54. By Joe P. on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

All this talk of canning Rex cracks me up! I’m no fan of Rex’s hot air bluster, but do all of you remember what the Jets were before he got here? They were a joke! Every Rex hater on this blog would have signed up for two AFC championship games in his first 3 years if you were given a crystal ball when Rex was signed. Rex is only the problem in as much that he can’t bring himself to say, at least publically, that the OC, QB coach and QB have under-performed at a shocking level. SCHOTTY and the QB Coach MUST GO. Sanchez must be given ONE more chance with REAL coaches. Hire Pennington as the QB coach!

55. By joe on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

Mccarthy wins because they have the best players Tomlein wins because they have the best players .The guy there ready to fire in INDY Caldwell has won 2 games this year while in previous seasons they were great .Did Caldwell suddenly forget how to coach or did his talent level at QB VANISH.Mike Shannohan won 2 superbowls in Denver- Washington stinks.Did Shannohan forget how to coach or maybe his players are not as good as they were in Denver.Bellichck is a defencive guru yet his d is bad this year why .

56. By Joe P. on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

I like Jersey Joe’s approach – dump all players over 30 except Pouha! Can anyone name a player over 30 (except Sione) where this would be a mistake?

57. By Chicago Bob on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

Bringing back B.E. is definitely worth considering – he played his best ball here and is not afraid to do the dirty work however to bring him in and keep Plaxico Burress would be a train wreck. Put those three (Holmes, Burress and Edwards) on the field at once and you do not have enough balls to go around – before you know it, all you would hear is the complaining about not getting the ball enough. Kerley looks like he can become a solid player and you do not want those 3 poisoning him with their attitudes. It is bad enough we have Holmes acting like a 13 year old half the time, we do not need another reason for him to take it to a higher level. If B.E. is healthy, sign him and let Burress go otherwise keep Burress and don’t bother with B.E

58. By scjoe on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

I have heard all the grandiloquence, rhetoric, opinions,suggestions,etc etc etc. from every possible angle over the past few years. Some I agree with, some I do not, but for the life of me can someone explain to me how they can possibly believe that MS will all of a sudden excel as an NFL QB with the same supporting cast along with a “NEW” OC? Anyone? Please! How will that improve the accuracy issue? How will that improve the “situational awareness issues?” The latter in the words of one Brian Shottenheimer. How will that improve the pocket presence? How will that improve anything? Don’t get me wrong, I am in favor of replacing the OC myself, just not for that reason. They both most go.

59. By scjoe on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

Joe P, agree that the OC must go, agree that Hunter and Smith must go, agree Shonn Greene is a complementary back as opposed to a starting back. Agree Scott has seen better years. Strongly disagree that Mark Sanchez will ever be anything other then a decent backup. He has proved that over the course of the last three seasons, that is enough time,and it really won’t matter who the OC is if his accuracy and pocket presence issues don’t improve. As for Brick, and Mangold? I will take both on my starting line any day of the week. Moore? He is very serviceable and still has a year or two left.

60. By scjoe on Dec 27, 2011 | Reply

I have been a Rex supporter all along. Does he have some faults? Absolutely, most NFL coaches do. But regarding his interview proclaiming that MS is the QB for this team and there is “no way” we are looking to replace him, even if Peyton Manning were available, I have to wonder what he is drinking. It seems to me I heard that exact same phrase three years ago re: Chad Pennington and Brett Favre.How did that turn out? Different HC at the time, same GM. Rex, are you watching the same offense (or lack there of) that I am? Sanchez rather then Peyton? Why don’t I believe that?

61. By Hans on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Joe P. – Brandon Moore is the ONLY guard to NOT let anyone to his QB in the entire NFL. Where do you come off criticizing him? Nick Mangold was playing hurt. You expect him to just say “oh my ankle is fine” and be able to play at 100% the whole year? I wouldn’t doubt that he’s playing at like 90%. Brick I can’t excuse, he’s having a bad year, VERY unrepresentative of him, BUT he and Mangold did still make the pro bowl (and B Moore did as a 2nd alternate as well). Jersey Joe – I absolutely wouldn’t mind seeing Pennington come back to coach, I’d like to see Jimmy Leonhard become a coach as well, I think he’s pretty close to done. I also agree with making Callahan an OC, he was VERY successful as HC of Oakland and deserves to run an O.

62. By Art Fishman on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Lets sack Tannenbaum. Then lets get a OC. Then we need a OL and a goto RB.
    The coaches need to make sure the Professionals focus on the game and the football.
    If MS doesn’t know where he is and what he needs to do, then put MB in there.

It is the Fish, and we play them hard, lets see the Ground and Pound again.

63. By cgb on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

jet fan tom 64, lets not forget we still have a chance this last week to make the playoffs.I dont care how bad we have been playing,there is still hope. many people including yourself have been much to critical of MS this whole year.The O line has been the weak link this year. The receiving corp has been not as good as the last 2 yrs. Mark has had his moments this year to, making his share of mistakes. I still see a team that has the pieces to do good things. If you read any of my posts, you know i also have plenty of complaints about how this team operates. But mark S. is not at the top of my list . Braylon was just cut from 49ers,jets should consider re-signing him. LETS GIVE OUR TEAM A BREAK AND BE TRUE FANS AND CHEER THIS LAST WEEK.

64. By cgb on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

TOM 64, I know some changes might be forthcoming im not blind to the fact that things can start to implode rather quickly in NY. coaches and plenty of players are on the verge of losing their jobs. I have had several posts not make it past the censorship. So i can also be as critical as you, we just have different point of view. This team is closer then many people think to getting it right.

65. By IRA on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Told you guys Hou will play to win. Johnson will play, Wade will be in the coaches boxes call the D and they will try to knock Tenn out of the dance.
    Now we really need to take care of our business and just maybe those late games will keep our season alive until 7pm or another week.
    Edwards is out there and he could be had for veteran minimum. I always felt they had to keep both he and Holmes and if they went after Joseph [btw he made the pro bowl] instaed of getting involved with the Asomugha dance it might have been possible. He clearly had a good chemistry with Sanchez and he made so many big catches the past two years.
    Lets get ready to beat the Fish! I hope

66. By Zach CT on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Just Like Kris Jenkins said on Jets Post game, there is very few leaders in this locker room the JETS need CHARACTER GUYS!!!! They need a wayne chrebet or wes welker type, a larry izzo, a thomas jones. This team has a ton of flaws, and needs a make over fast. MO was an excellent pick but we need a clay matthews type LB, a speedy WR, is it me or does santino look like he does want to play? as far as the MS, BS debate, its simple and has been said on here BS has had KC, Favre, Pennington and they have gone from 10-6 to 4-12 to 8-8 the offesne is to plain and way to easy to read. Get rid of BS, if you don’t they MS is not the QB of the future McElroy is. He’s a game manage and a conservative smart player, MS is a gun-slinger

67. By GaryC on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

sorry guys some of my posts are not getting through,I guess the Kremlin reigns supreme in the jets clubhouse,As for Rex, there might of been a reason the ravens bypassed him in favor of John Harbaugh, I would take Ozzie Newsome’s knowledge over Mike Tannenbaums at this point,Also do you think Andre Carter is saying how did Ferguson make pro bowl after I beat him like a drum for four sacks,Like I said JET FAN TOM,look at the afc pro bowl roster,you think a lot of those guys deserved the pro bowl, everybody has an agenda.If your in the clique your in for life, like unions.

68. By IRA on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Ok lets have some fun going into this last week.
    I think Tenn,Cin and Den lose. Will the Jets win?

69. By Joe P. on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Great posts by everyone. Too many things need to happen for the Jets to make the playoffs, but that’s OK. I think it’s important to finish the season with a winning record by beating Miami. Should be an interesting off season. By the way – congrats to Revis. The best defensive player on the Jets since Klecko and he will surpass Joe K. with another year or 2 of stellar play. It’s been a joy watching Revis dominate. I stand by my earlier comments regarding Brick and Mangold. Neither should have made the pro bowl. Brick had an awful year. Nick was hurt, but he’s flat out overrated. Don’t any of you guys remember Kevin Mawae? He would pull out and lead an end-around sweep for Curtis 4-5 times per game and absolutely bury his guy. He was a stud.

70. By Joe P. on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Fun to speculate on Peyton. Heard the Rex interviews – he said nothing wrong. The fact is that Sanchez will be the QB for at least another year and I think Mr. T and Rex owe it to Mark to put the players around him to succeed. Can Mark succeed? He’s proven it with 2 trips to the championship game! However, he can’t succeed like Brees or Brady – he needs a top 3 rushing attack to take advantage of his play action and atheletic abilities. We know by now that he’ll never be a consistent 4,000 yard pocket passing QB – that’s just not his game. We need major upgrades to the O-line, blocking TE, running back, wide receiver, and of course a new OC and QB coach.

71. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Limping into the playoffs in Rex/Sanchez’s 3rd yr isn’t what Mr. Johnson had in mind when he moved heaven and earth to get the first cold weather Super Bowl in history, cgb. MS isn’t the worst QB in the world, if he was it woulda been easy to unload him already. He’s simply not progressing fast enough and now folks are losing faith that he ever will, as so many ex-players and coaches have been saying after the games all yr. The question is really just how much patience the FO has left for Rex and MS. My guess is not much, certainly not as much as Rex thinks with his bizarre talk of coaching the team for 10 or 15 yrs…

72. By Tom Spicer on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Joe P, Is exactly right Brick has the worst year of his career I have no idea how he made the pro bowl. Slauson is servicable at best if replaced he would not be missed. Mangold had a high ankle sprain he missed 3 games & played hurt in many others. A high ankle sprian is a 6 week injury. Moore had hip surgey (I think on both hips) in the offseason could not practice during the week & was clearly not the smach mouth run blocker he used to be. Wayne Hunter do I really have to say anything the guy should not be in the NFL to have him replace Woody is a joke. If your QB is the 2nd most sacked QB in the NFL he will not do well PERIOD!

73. By Howie D on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

This entire regime is still learning on the job, from Woody to Mike T, to Rex. I’m hoping they’ll have the wisdom to make the right moves. I still believe in Rex and am willing to see what MS will do with a new OC. No wholesale coaching change is necessary now. Replace Schotty, Cavanaugh, Hunter, get a pass rusher and fill in a couple spots and we’ll be a deadly force.

74. By walt on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

i am ready to name my most overated and underated jet player most overated is dustin keller he can not block drops passes and no one besides jets fans rates him better than an average tight end.eric smith is my most underated player.he is almost always the top tackler on the team in every game and as far as pass defence is concerned there is only so much he can do without any pass rush.He may not be the best but he much better than jet fans give him credit.

75. By Tom Spicer on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Joe, You are right the NFL is a passing league & the rules have been adjusted to help high scoring O’s. Cant touch the QB, cant touch the WR. You are 100% correct. BUT let me ask you this WHERE ARE WE GETTING THIS QB FROM? The guys you mention Brady, Brees, Peyton, Big Ben will all be in the hall of fame & some of them will be in the argument to be the greatest players of all time. These guys dont grow on trees for every QB to come out who is supposed to be the next guy there are 1,000,000 guys that fall flat on there face. Unless the Jets are getting a Peyton or a guy of that caliber there best course of action is to surrond the QB they have with a good o line, a good RB & good WR’S. Based off of this year he has 2 good O lineman,

76. By Tom Spicer on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

a change of pace RB not a starter & 1 good WR not 3,4 or 5 like real championship caliber teams have. Finally it took Eli 8 years to be considered a elite QB. I am not asking that give him a better right tackle, have Turner battle Slauson for the right guard spot, if you bring back Plax sign 1 WR if you dont we need 2 & finally give Greene compotition at his spot weather it be McKnight or bring someone in but surrond him with better players. Give him a year if not move on.

77. By Kevin65Fan on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

LOLOL…just have to smile at all of you. Like i said many “posts” ago…we are JET Fans…and we want the best and of course we want to WIN. 2012…2012…we will be screaming for McElroy…especially if we have a new OC and game plan…who is going to pick it up faster with NO indecision…McElroy. I forgot in my prediction of us Jet Fans to mention how quickly we also change our attitudes on our Coaches. Schotty…what is it 6…7 years here…Good BYE…Rex…give me a break…especially you 64 Tom….the guy (Rex) has upgraded this franchise since Parcells…and Weeb before that. Playoff runs last 2 years…maybe this year. So he has a big mouth…which I respect in this crazy New York market. He BELIEVES in what he says. Cont.

78. By Frankie on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Ravens beat Bengals.
    Texans beat Titans.
    Chargers beat Raiders.
    Even though we don’t need it, Chiefs upset Broncos.
    Jets blow out the Dolphins…..See ya in Houston!!! J-E-T-S!!!!

79. By Tom Spicer on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Todays New York Post page 59 (Wedensday the 28th) the O line has been a major problem for the Jets this year. They have given up 37 sacks with 1 game to go the last time they gave up this many sacks was 2007. After that year they rebuilt there line with Woody & Faneca. In 7 games he has been sacked 3 or more times. How can a team win like that? The Wayne Hunter experiment has failed miserably. In the NFL YOU CAN NOT WIN UNLESS YOU PROTECT THE QB!

80. By Frankie on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Mark Sanchez
    2009 – 53% 2,444 yrds 15TDS (12 pass, 3 rush) 20 pics
    2010 – 54% 3,291 yrds 20TDS (17 pass, 3 rush) 13 pics
    2011 – 56% 3,267 yrds 30TDS (24 pass, 6 rush) 15 pics
    4-2 in playoffs (all on road) 61% 1,155 yrds 9TDS (all pass) 3 pics
    9 4th quarter comebacks, 11 game winning drives.
    He is 25 and has been playing with a horrible OC and this year with a bad O-line. Never had the same receivers for his 3 years in the NFL. I don’t know about you but take it back to April 09, I would sign up for this. Now when he improves for his 4th year lets say this 2012 – 59% 3600 yrds 34TDS (27 pass, 7 rush) 12 pics…with are defense playing with their A-game – SUPERBOWL BOUND 2012!! GO JETS!!!

81. By Tom Spicer on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Frankie, Also he has a game left this year to add to those numbers & this is by far his worst O line, worst running game, worst D & worst WR core he has had since he has been here. You are supposed to build around a QB & give him weapons to succed. Not give him a worse team each year whcih is what he has been given. Year 1 Braylon & Cotchery, year 2 Holmes, Braylon & Cotchery & year 3 Holmes & Plax (what guys dont reliazie is Plax from 2011 is not Plax from 2007). Year 2 Holmes, Braylon & Cotchery his best than year 1 Braylon & Cotchery followed by this year Holmes & Plax.

82. By Tom Spicer on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Also in todays New York Post page 59 the Jets have no deep threat Holmes is doubled with saftey help to take him out of the game. Plax while great in the red zone is bad between the 20’s he has no separtion speed & unlike last year with Cotchery they have no 3rd WR. This year the Jets have 2 pass plays over 40 yards last year Braylon had 5 plays over 40 in 2010 alone. MR.T & Rex know they blew it !

83. By GaryC on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Tom Spicer, I knew Plastico wasn’t the same player,remember my early season posts when Jet Fan Tom got on my case when I said the Jets were going nowhere with Plastico and Stone Mason,It retarded the progress of Kerley as the slot,and Mason only proved to be a malcontent.Now what you got left is a over the hill wideout who starts to celebrate his catches even before they are ruled as catches which makes him look foolish and a 50 million wideout who doesn’t show up in the big game,Jet Fan Tom calls these two all pro, If there all pro then Ferguson deserves to start the Pro Bowl.

84. By GaryC on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

I just witnessed the replay of the jet giant game,Bart Scott made Brandon Jacobs look like chris johnson,He has the angle on him and Jacobs at 260 pounds beats him to the outside,if Scott is back next year there needs to be an investigation.

85. By JDunn on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Frankie thank you…Now i dont have to write it…

86. By JDunn on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Frankie thanks for saving me the tie..You put it out there perfectly…YOU CANT THROW THE BALL WHEN YOUR GETTING KILLED…Look what happened to Rodgers against the Chiefs who we blew out,,,,Wayne Hunter must resort to Badminton because he is pitiful and Slauson isnt much better!!!..The only good thing about Eric Smith is when he hits someone its hard but is as stiff as !@#$…..Boy i miss John Abraham!!!!!

87. By Tom Spicer on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

As of right now we have the 19th pick the draft. mock drafts have us taking 6’5 WR out of South Carolina Aslhon Jeffery or O lineman out of Georgia Cordy Glenn. It really stinks to be talking about this already.

88. By scjoe on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

I can hardly wait to hear the comments from some of you here should the Jets hire a new OC and decide to stick with Sanchez. After he fails again I will probably hear something like, “well, it is a new system and a new OC” “well, this OC isn’t any better then the last one” “well, we got to give Mark more time” c’mon people, it is not just the OC, it is Sanchez mainly. It has been three full seasons now, 60 NFL game starts. Where is the improvement? It is still the same mistakes, same inaccuracy issues, same lack of pocket presence over and over. Some of you just choose not to recognize that. He claims he is working hard and I respect that, but he is NOT an elite, franchise QB PERIOD!

89. By russ on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Randy Haoppy New Year to you… and to all the whiners and second guessers, and I told you so’s… send your ticket stubs to Woody with a request for refund….lol…..or ask him to drfaft .Please draft a lefitimate pass rusher or a running back that can offset Green….

90. By scjoe on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Spicer, who would you consider to be NEs “deep threat” How about NO and GB? How do you compare them with Holmes? That is not the issue and I think you know it too. In the Giant game McKnight was wide open down the side line, a TD for the taking,that was his deep threat on that particular play call, how did that turn out? What good would a “deep threat” be if the QBs weakness is throwing the deep pass? Why do you think there are not that many deep patterns called in this offense? It is definitely not because we don’t have a “deep threat” It is because of the inaccuracy of this QB throwing deep.

91. By scjoe on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Frankie, lets reexamine some of your numbers. Three years, 60 NFL games he averages 20TDs 16 pics, and a completion percentage less then 55% That to me that is average or below average. As for the O line? Many of those sacks could have been avoided with more “situational awareness” That term coming from the mouth of his current OC 4-2 in the playoffs? Yes, the “team” is 4-2 in the playoffs. Lets give the other 44 some of that credit. The horrible OC? I though Favre did pretty well with this same OC but with even less time in the system and much less of a receiving core. Can you really deny any of this?

92. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Kevin65, I had Rex on the same 5-yr plan as Sanchez but his behavior off the field (and now on it) is a disgrace. I simply find it distasteful to root for him, so I want him gone. GaryC goes on and on about players not wanting to play for him and I’m sure on balance that’s true. Frankie and Spicer, you guys have been putting up those marginally improved numbers for MS yr after yr without seeming to notice how his actual play in situations isn’t getting much better. Meanwhile, the teams that win big do it by routinely coming back from 17-0 like Brady did vs. MIA like it’s nothing. On the Jets, when we’re down 17-10 it’s like the game is over. No getting to the big one that way, especially when almost 2/3 of our D (LB and S) needs rethinking.

93. By GaryC on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Tom Spicer, Jeffrey was a guy I mentioned early in the year along with Blackmon of oklahoma state and Sanu of Rutgers, anyone who doesn’t think we need a tall, physical receiver with speed is only kidding themselves,Look at the receivers who made the pro bowl,most are 6’4 and above who can run.

94. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

GaryC, it was the Jets, not me, who didn’t want to pay both Holmes and Edwards, though BE’s demands were too high. Mason coulda worked out better if we’d been able to snap the ball when we had him, but Kerley surely benefited from him being around and has had plenty of snaps at WR since. Better you should worry about Rex’s impulsive decision, happily reversed by necessity, to take Kerley off PR. The OL has let Sanchez down and like I keep telling Spicer, even with the most perfect protection Sanchez lets us all down. Ask some other folks in IND, who are used to harping on Manning taking so long to win only 1 SB, how good a QB Sanchez is. And outside of NYC, Spice, folks are astounded MS has done so little with the weapons he’s been given.

95. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Thanks for the sanity on Sanchez and our passing game, scjoe. What some of these guys don’t understand is that Schotty is only gonna call what he thinks MS can execute. If throwing 64 times in a game without hardly ever throwing more than 10 yds doesn’t prove that, nothing will, but we have a few people here whose main goal is to defend the Jets under any circumstances. I’ve thought since around the late ’70s that some Jet fans’ tolerance for mediocrity, thanks to a NY press that often talks up the team as better than it is, is one of the big problems, but I guess comfortable misery works better than courageous change for some folks. Fan who really want to see a new kind of Jet team wouldn’t think twice about calling for big changes now.

96. By Frankie on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

No problem. Now don’t get me wrong Sanchez gets me frustrated at times but the kid is clutch. If we get a new OC and his numbers go down from this year then lets talk about it. But I feel giving the pressure he has faced this season plus with Holmes being smothered on most plays he has done a decent job. Plax is a beast in the red zone but he doesn’t have the deep threat ability. Braylon gave us that. Would love to see him come back next year. Save our first rounder for O-line. WE NEED IT. I think Wayne Hunter/Ducasse (waste of second round pick) should be cut.

97. By johnny F on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

I remember the cold sub zero temperatures at shea in 69 with names offensivley like namath,parilli,boozer,sauer maynard,turner,lammons,crane, hill, rasmussen and shmitt,defensively like biggs,eliott,philbin,atkinson,baker, grantham,battle, beverly,dockery,hudson,and leanord,and turner,a kicker that didn’t miss chip shots,but most of all a coach that new how to win,had players that wanted to win and new how to win because there was discipline and a team,spirit, not a bunch of hot dogs.That coach was weeb ewbanks and,wouldn’t tolerate the nonsense that the jet fans witness all to often.

98. By GaryC on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

to everyone knocking Tom Spicer, let’s get this straight,Mcknight went into the game injured, that is why he wasn’t on kickoffs until rex had enough of cromartie bringing the ball to the 15 yard line.Unless Sanchez threw the perfect pass where Mcknight did not have to extend his arms he wasn’t catching it.Shotty and Rex at this point were trying anyone for a big play, even a guy who was too injured to even make a big play.

99. By Tom Spicer on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

SCJoe, Green Bay Jennings, Nelson, Jones & even Driver at this stage in his career have the speed to go deep that Plax lacks. Oh yea before I forget Finley deep over the middle. What is that 5 good options? point made. NO Colston. Moore, Meachem & Graham all have the speed to go deep that Plax lacks. What is that 4 good options? point made. How many do we have? 1. SCJoe I know you know the game I have said this all year & the Jets beat writer said the same thing today in todays New York Post teams are doubling Holmes with saftey help over the top to take him out of the game so we have no one to go deep. If they tried that last year Braylon could beat them deep if they tried to cover Braylon over the top then Holmes could beat them deep.

100. By Tom Spicer on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

If they tried to have saftey help over the top on both guys. Than that opens up Keller to be covered by a linbacker & opens up the run game. We do not have that element this year NORE the O line to give the guy time. Braylon had 5 plays over 40 yards last year for the Jets did Mark just lose that ability or did it never go anywhere & we just dont have the personel to execute it?

101. By fred on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

For those who woud like a respite from the roster purge go out a get a copy of ” The greatest moments in NYJ history its a compilation of new york times newspaper pages & covers the Titans thru the San Diego playoff game. Now it only has victories in it no heart breaking losses but will entertain any Jet Fan . Here are a few of my favorite quotes: ” He feels any publicity is good publicity, he’ll say anything & he’ll stick anyone in the mud”. This was Joe Foss talking about Titan owner Harry Wismer in 1961. Regarding Namath’s long hair , Columbia coach says ” We don’t have time to grow long hair – long hair & beards lead to other things, to lying under trees & singing songs” this was 1968

102. By Tom Spicer on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

In todays game you can not have 1 guy with the ability to stretch the field & thats what we have 1. You need at least 3 some teams have 4 or 5!

103. By Karan on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Frankie and Tom make excellent points.

104. By fred on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

And just one more -“The Jets heard a lot of talk last week, most of it bad. It came from fans who didn’t think they had played well enough to be in a position to make the NFL playoffs” Sounds a lot like 2011 but it actually is from 1991 when they beat miami in OT to qualify for the wildcard at 8-8. My point is these papers have been very entertaining in what is certainly a tough week for Jets fans

105. By MetlifeAirstrike on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Excellent posts, Frankie!

106. By Tom Spicer on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Also to the guys talking playoffs even if the Jets win & the Ravens beat the Bengals. The Texans, Chargers & Chiefs have nothing to play for we need the Texnas & either the Broncos or Raiders to lose IT AINT HAPPEING!

107. By joe on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Tom (SPICER )thats the entire problem as getting an ELITE GUY IS EXTREMELY TOUGH .Thats why the teams with them compete year in year out.Said it once will say it again NE PLAYER FOR PLAYER (OTHER THAN BRADY )IS NO BETTER THAN WE ARE. BRADY ROGERS BREES ROTHESBURGER give their teams the advantages WE WILL NEVER EVER WILL OVERCOME WITH SANCHEZ AT QB HOW YOU GOING TO OVERCOME 50 tds 10 int 120 qb RATING AVGRING 30 POINTS A GAME with SANCHEZ (THATS A JOKE)

108. By joe on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

sc joe exactly WE AS FANS KNOW SANCHEZS CANT THROW DOWN THE FIELD in turn EVERY D CORD that he plays against doesnt know the same thing and prepare for it.Keller ,Holmes are WAY WAY UNDERUSED BECAUSE OF SANCHEZS INABILITYS .SOME PEOPLE POINTED OUT THE O LINE =excuses excuses.No qb is sacked or hit more than ROTHESBURGER .(IT DIDNT STOP HIM FROM MAKING THE PRO BOWL 2X AND WINNING 2 SB )

109. By joe on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

ps WAIT HOLD ON THOUGH ROTHESBURGER has the PHYSICAL ABILITYS to do things that SANCHEZS WILL NEVER EVEN REMOTELY HAVE =thats why hes elite.

110. By Joe P. on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

scjoe – I’m one of the posters saying to give Sanchez one more year with a better o-line and upgrades at WR, RB (compliment Greene) and blocking TE. Oh … and of course a new OC and QB coach (hire Pennington!). I’m sorry to say that you are probably right about Sanchez. Even with major upgrades alll around him on the field and a stellar OC and QB coach, I think it’s 50/50 that the kid actually improves. That said, when we had a ferocious D in ’09 and ’10, and a good running game, Sanchez was good enough to get us to two AFC championship games. So the real question is, what’s harder to get, a top-5 QB (e.g., Brady, Brees, Rodgers) or a ferocious D and top tier running game? It’s very unlikely that Sanchez ever becomes an elite, top 5 QB.

111. By Chris Chase on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

I said this in another thread.. but Rex isn’t going anywhere.. nor do we want him to. Schotty should and will be gone.. That is weak link #1.. ASsuming we don’t get a Peyton Manning/Tom Moore combo.. we may go after a norv Turner type (if he gets canned).. someone that actually understands offense. I agree with others that we should try to aquire Braylon back immediately.. as the Jets missed him the most this year. (but we still keep plaxico/holmes) The other holes are tackle, a quick running back, another pass rusher.. and for god’s sake 2 new safety’s!!!

112. By cgb on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Its not so much shotty as it is Mr T was it 3 or 4 years ago he did the same thing with pete kendall. You would think he ‘d leard something from that. No, he did not learn ,and afer the 1st game of the year when wayne H. gave up 2 sacks the red flag was up.At that point he had 2 options plenty of quality linemen were being let go to make room on NFL rosters for players they needed. also woody said he would still play 1 more yr but we let him retire. So what do we do sign no quality back-up and make no bid to bring back D.woody. that, plus the revolving receiver door out with braylon,cotchery,b. smith. this is not rocket science,NASA would have had 3 back-up plans .

113. By cgb on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

cont… bye the way I said all this the week after the dallas opener hoping that it would not come back to bite us. but after mangold went down we had no choice but to look outside the team. As the turner injury and undeveloped players taking up quality roster spots were totally uncapable of filling our needs duccasse,w. hunter, etc…

114. By GaryC on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

We have offensive weapons, compared to other teams it is like a slingshot compared to a cannon;Jet Fan Tom,how did having Mason on the team help Kerley’s developement,how did it manifest itself.Having Clowney on the roster would of helped Kerley just as much,at least he and Kerley have speed.

115. By joe on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Lets see- to those who say the sacks on Sanchez (=OLINES THE BIG PROBLEM) how come ROTHESBURGER BEEN SACKED MORE and the STEELERS are still SB CONTENDERS.To those who say lack of a home run threat at wideout a problem=SOMEONE HAD BETTER GET THE NE PATS a homerun threat as there the 1 seed without one.Our wideouts are underused because SANCHEZS problems throwing the ball esp downfield.

116. By joe on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Ps people keep saying MCELEROY the kid from ALABAMA.Last time i checked this is the NFL not the SEC .Today if you want to win the SB you must have a qb with the arm strengh to MAKE ALL THE THROWS ON THE FIELD.Mceleroy definately has major issues in this area .

117. By joe on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Iam not much of a Ryan fan because of his mouth antics or behavior BUT WE ARE NOT IN DIRE STRAIGHTS BECAUSE OF RYAN We are also not in dire straights because of SCHOTTY This team is where its at because of the DIRECTER OF PLAYER PERSONAL =SCOUTING.NO TEAM CAN HAVE AS MANY FAILURES AS THE JETS THE PAST 4 YEARS AND EXPECT TO BE A CONTENDER its impossible.A coach or oc is only as good as his talent .People want the oc replaced but no one can ANSWER THE FOLLOWING Mike SHANNOHAN is regarded as a top level offencive guy how come he cant turn GROSSMAN INTO ELWAY.NO coach, oc can give SANCHEZ POCKET AWARENESS ,FIELD PRESENSE hES PLAYED 50 GAMES

118. By joe on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

MIKE LOMBARDI just did a piece on Sanchez WITH 2 YEARS LEFT on his contract (no trade value )were going to have to live (OR MOST LIKELY DIE) with him ) Highly unlikely going to draft another qb in that time frame two years from now its prob START OVER TIME AGAIN.

119. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Ask Kerley how Mason helped him, GaryC, he’s the one who said it.

120. By Howie D on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Great job Frankie! If I say it million times it’s not enough, Schotty is at the core our problems. MS has some winning qualities and I’m curious to see what’s going happen with a new OC. We’re all hoping your predictions, which seem reasonable, come through. Fins will not be easy.

121. By joe on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

SC JOE your exactly correct on Sanchez .In another thread i posted my business part was a 6 year nfl player .(He and his brother WHO WAS A FIRST ROUNDER dominated on Nebraska Nat champ teams in the mid 90s)I ran the entire Sanchez oc cord thing by him( and as i thought he would) CRACKED UP LAUGHING .Were talking about a 50 game vet here (alot of careers i n the NFL are shorter )a COACH absolutely positively CANT TEACH POCKET AWARENESS OR FIELD PRESCENCE.WHICH ARE ABSOLUTES IF YOU WE WANT A SB CALIBER QB

122. By joe on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

pS POINT 2 ON THE DOWNFIELD RECIEVER THING OR LACK OF IT.In years gone by the INDY COLTS RECIEVERS PUT UP crazy big numbers.THIS YEAR THE COLTS still have all those very same recievers Wayne, Garson ect.For some very strange reason every great reciever they have numbers have declined dramatically this year I wonder what that reason is YOU GOT NO QB YOU GOT NOTHING TODAY

123. By scjoe on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Again, we all hash the Sanchez issue around. Some of you make good points. But the bottom line is he is just to inaccurate (especially on deep patterns) and his pocket presence is a major concern, the proof is there in plain sight, more and more of the “experts” sport writers and commentators are commenting on this issue more now then ever. I am not a “casual” sports fan, I know the game. I coached the game at the youth level, not as a HC but as an assistant. I am not just grasping at straws here. MS can not carry this team when the running game stalls, this team needs a QB who can. Again, he is a hard worker and he is a tough kid, but that is just not enough.

124. By Eli Rodriguez on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Rex Ryan remind me of The President all talk and no action. Yes, it sounded good and most of us bought in to it Because we were hungry. But my Jets like my country has seen better days. When know what we got to do, THROW OUT WHAT’S NOT WORKING.

125. By Jimmer on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Deep threat??? Has anyone seen sanchez take a 7 step drop lately? The area is usually taken up by a DE before he gets there. It’s pretty hard to throw the ball deep when your on your tuckus and the WR’s are only 15-20yds downfield. When your receivers know this and aren’t looking at you on short routes, and they literally get the ball in their facemask, it’s not all on the QB OR the OC. Plax may lack speed, but he seems to be the only guy that realizes the QB is always about to get crushed.

126. By Jimmer on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Cont.
    I’m not defending Shotty, but the play from Holmes has been terrible. How many turnovers is he responsible for this yr? Keller is just not playing up to his abilities this yr.
    I’d actually love to see Kerley and Turner start this week. Sit Keller and have a 3 headed backfield. At least Sanchez will be protected, and the WR’s will be looking for the ball the moment the ball is snapped.

127. By Jimmer on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

And the New York Jets, with their first pick in the 2012 NFL draft, pick, Offensive Coordinator from who cares university.
    Honestly, Fix the OL, make it formidable again. And do anything on defense to stop a TE from making us look pathetic.
    WR, RB or pass rusher are all moot points after these warts we have on this team.

128. By Frankie on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

4135 yrds 26 tds 15 pics
    4413 yrds 33 tds 15 pics
    Brees
    3284 yrds 17 tds 16 pics
    2108 yrds 11 tds 15 pics
    3159 yrds 24 tds 15 pics

I can go on and on however i won’t list Rodgers as he is a freak of nature. I wonder if their fans gave up on them after 3 years. Some of them even sat on the bench their first few years and learned the system, ours did not. if you look at any of these guys 4th year numbers they improved quite drastically. My point is just see what he does in his 4th year.. 4th year will tell it all.

129. By Tom Spicer on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Joe, Big Ben is the 1 QB in the world who can get sacked alot & still be effective. ALot of his sackes he brings on himself he is so big he brushes of hits I have never seen a guy with the ability to do that like he has. He extends the play to try to make a play & alot of times takes unessicary sacks. That is not the case with Mark his sacks are cause BAD BLOCKING. Also in regards to Brady they are a short passing term that is there running game they dump the ball of to Welker & he is so fast he breaks them for long runs. They tried to get a deep threat when they signed Ocho Cinco it just did not work out. Dont tell me the Jets tired when they let go to guys in there 20’s with speed who were good in Braylon & Cothcery. Than replaced them

130. By Tom Spicer on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

with a slow 37 year old Mason & a slow 35 year old Plax. They can not stretch the field!

131. By Tom Spicer on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Frankie, Wait until Monday & we will compare the stats of Mark in his 3rd year vs all of the elite QBS in the NFL. Not there 3rd year in the league but there 3rd full year starting. As you have stated most of these guys sat for at least a year some of them 2 or 3 before they played. I think guys on this site will be shocked at how similar they are.

132. By scjoe on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Spicer/Frankie, Once again, with all due respect, it don’t matter at all how Sanchez stats compare to any other QB in any time frame, on any other team, any other year. We are all interested in today’s world, in today’s NFL. The NFL changes year to year, today more then ever it is QB driven. That don’t necessarily mean you need an “elite” QB to win a championship, but it sure as heck means you need one who can carry the team should the situation arise. There just hasn’t been any evidence MS can do that with out a great running game and a great O line. You know, like this season!

133. By scjoe on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Frankie, one question about your numbers, just out of curiosity. You listed Peyton in his 2nd and 3rd years as throwing for almost 4200 yards with just about 30 TDs and 15 picks. How does that compare at all to Sanchez in his 2nd and 3rd years? Just going from memory that is about 1000 more yards (avg) and 10 more TDs (passing) then MS in his 2nd and 3rd. Where is the connection?

134. By Frankie on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

scjoe – I am not saying Sanchez is Peyton by any means. But you make it seem we have a horrible quarterback and his numbers are not that bad. Trust me, I would love to have an Aaron Rodgers or a Peyton Manning but who is to say Mark doesn’t turn into one. He is still young and no matter how you look at it his numbers are improving. Like I said, next year is year where I believe we will find out. If he has little to no improvement then I will admit I am wrong and we need to look else where for a franchise QB. But i still have hope in him. Spicer you are right, season is not over yet maybe he can put up a few more touchdowns on Sunday and just maybe we can sneak in to the dance and play a few more games.

135. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

It’s not impossible that Sanchez could get on track once and for all in his 4th yr, Frankie and Spicer, with a new HC and OC — IF the problem is more them than him. But the factor you didn’t mention, along with scjoe’s point about Peyton, is that all of those QBs had and have much better arm strength than Sanchez. He’ll still be mediocre if he doesn’t get better in that department as well.

136. By joe on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Frankie Sanchez has 50 game NFL EXPERIANCE .(the average nfl players career is less than that )Spicer-FRANKIE i dont know your guys EXPERIANCE -BACKGROUND WITH PLAYER DEVELOPMENT AT NFL LEVEL but i assure you that if you guys were to ever talk to anyone THATS QUALIFYED TO ANSWER(AND I DONT MEAN THE LOCAL HS COACH OR THE LOCAL D2 COLLEGE COACH)they will tell you that at this part in SANCHEZS career a NEW CORD -COACH AINT GOING TO DO TO MUCH

137. By joe on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

JET FAN TOM EXACTLY a coach cant teach POCKET AEWARENESS FIELD PRESCENCE OR ARM STRENGTH .Sanchez HAS severe limitations throwing the ball downfield AND EVERY D CORD KNOWS THIS SC JOE I GOT TO TELL YOU YOUR post reflects word for. word what my business partner said.

138. By joe on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

PS Spicer YOU WANT TO TALK ABOUT ABILITY wait untill CAM NEWTON gets going as he has off the chart measurables.My buddys are telling me the scouts grades for measurables are up there with ELWAY.

139. By joe on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

PS SANCHEZS OWN COACH PETE CARROLL was luke warm on him .A PRO SCOUT WILL NEVER EVER listen to a PARENT FAN OR SUB MAJOR COLLEGE COACH(UNLESS HE KNOWS HIM ) .A scout will listen to a MAJOR D1 coach .PETE Carroll SAID HE WAS NOT NFL READY

140. By joe on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

SRICER i just wanted to let you know my opinions are derivred from the 20 or ex NFL PLAYERS(some first and second round draft choices)i iived with or work with (I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA where YOU go to you get your qualifications to comment on these matters )As far as coaching lets just say i have a fair relationship with the coach who recruited Maybin and was his position coach at Penn State This guy IS NOW A HEAD COACH IN A SOUTHERN SCHOOL THAT HAS A SLIGHT ACHIEVEMENT RECORD IN WINNING

141. By joe on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

PS HES ALSO FROM NJ

142. By Donovan G on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

I was watching ESPN first take this morning and Stephen A. Smith said that he talked to some players on the jets who were questioning Rex Ryan’s “uncontrollable” love for Sanchez and questioning Sanchez’s ability to be a decent qb. Don’t know how true it is but Stephen smith always says the truth even though he yells a lot.

143. By joe on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

REGARDING COACHING CHANGES fans should realize one thing this is the NFL NOT THE LOCAL HIGH SCHOOL OR FLAG FOOTBALL LEAGUE. The idea that one cordinator knows signifigantly more than another is a FANS FANTASY and just not true (YOU DONT GET TO THE NFL LEVEL BY NOT KNOWING FOOTBALL )One cordinaters team has MUCH BETTER TALENT than another thats why THEY WIN .A TYPICAL NFL vet has 20 years plus of organized football under his belt the idea that getting a new position coach or cord is going to make hugh impact on someones career after working with them a few months is a fantasy Brady has a new cord every year up there ever notice a diff

144. By joe on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

LOOK at MIKE MARKS he ran the greatest show on turf -WHY CANT HE DUPLICATE that in Chicago.Look at Mike SHANNOHAN his offences were key to 2 superbowl wins for some reason he cant get Grossman to play like Elway .lOOK AT Rex Ryan he could not do a thing to upgrade the play of VERN GHOLSTEN or KYLE WILSON

145. By cgb on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

frankie im impressed with your stats on first 3yr’s on current qb’s. for all the people that think MS will not develop past his current performance,needs to realize the significant down grade of the o-line and wide receivers this year. not to mention football is the ultimate team sport. It takes all 11 players doing their job.

146. By joe on Dec 30, 2011 | Reply

lol IF ALL 11 PEOPLE ARE SO IMPORTANT aomeone should tell the Colts BECAUSE they only lost 1 guy and its a completely different team.