Checkdowns Leave Sanchez, Jets Down and Out

Posted by Eric Allen on January 1, 2012 – 6:40 pm

Checkdowns turned into checkmate for Mark Sanchez and the New York Jets.

Sanchez was intercepted on three short passes in Sunday’s season-ending 19-17 loss to the Dolphins in Miami. There would be no charm in his third pro season as he’ll miss the playoffs for the first time as the Jets lost their third consecutive game and finished 8-8 overall.

“That’s the first time I’ve ever had that happen,” he said of the misfortune on dump passes.

The three takeaways led to a trio of Dan Carpenter field goals for the Dolphins. The last one was the most painful as the Green & White trailed, 16-10, with 3:10 remaining, but they were in scoring position at the MIA-10. Needing 6 yards for a first down, No. 6 backed up in the pocket and threw to a covered Shonn Greene and was intercepted by OLB Marvin Mitchell.

“The third one down in the red zone, at least just give ourselves a chance on the next down,” Sanchez said. “Even if it’s fourth down, we know we’re probably going to end up going for it. You don’t want to give one up like that. I know I threw behind Shonn a little bit is what it felt like.”

Mitchell’s subsequent 55-yard return set up Carpenter’s final field goal as the Dolphins essentially sealed it with a 19-10 advantage and just 2:37 on the game clock.

Sanchez’s struggles began late in the first half. The Jets held a 10-3 lead and wanted more after S Brodney Pool intercepted a pass at the NYJ-45 with 25 seconds on the clock. On second down, the pressured quarterback found DE Randy Starks instead of LaDainian Tomlinson. And Carpenter made the Jets pay with a 58-yard boot before intermission.

The Jets relinquished their lead early in the final stanza when the Dolphins culminated a 21-play, 94-yard drive on a Matt Moore 1-yard scoring pass to FB Charles Clay. When the offense really needed a response down, 13-10, former Jet Jason Taylor got around D’Brickashaw Ferguson and closed in on Sanchez. The 25-year-old passer got rid of the rock and unfortunately threw right into the arms of Starks again.

“JT got some pressure on me and I was trying to throw the ball, avoid the sack and get it to John Conner. And Starks was right there,” Sanchez said. “To get intercepted three times on checkdowns, as frustrating as it is, is pretty rare. I have to go back and see whether it’s an accuracy issue or maybe just take the sack on that one, but we’re really trying to avoid sacks at all costs.”

Sanchez finished this disappointing afternoon 21-of-32 for 207 yards and two scores. He finished the season with 26 TDs — tying Al Dorow (1960) and Joe Namath (1967) for the second-highest single season total in team history — and he also ran for six scores. He upped his yardage total to 3,474, but he totaled 18 INTs and eight lost fumbles.

“I think he’s the long-term solution. I don’t think there’s any doubt. He’s won a lot of games for us,” said head coach Rex Ryan. “He had the three interceptions today — two of them from defensive linemen. That’s hard to explain. I don’t think I’ve ever seen that before. I think Mark has all the tools to be a great quarterback. He’s been a winning quarterback here and we have to make sure we are doing everything we can for the New York Jets to be successful.”

It was another uneven performance from a team/offense that entered Week 17 ninth in scoring at 24 points/game and first in red zone efficiency with a TD rate of 66.7 percent. The Jets totaled 374 yards, but there were the turnovers, five false starts and a 4-of-11 outing on third down.

“We played well at times in spurts, just not consistent enough for us to win,” Sanchez said. “I have to play better for us to win. I can’t throw it to them three times.”

His last pass went to Patrick Turner for the wideout’s first professional score. With Santonio Holmes on the sideline, the Jets moved 80 yards on their final possession and Sanchez ended it on a 10-yard strike to Turner.

“You saw the way the other guys were playing on that last drive we had and that was probably one of our best drives of the game after three turnovers,” Sanchez said. “If there was any lack of confidence there, you’re not going to be able to drive the ball down the field.”

We’ll have to wait until September for the next time Sanchez takes a snap in a meaningful game. Football and chess sometimes can be awfully cruel.

Posted in Eric Allen | 172 Comments »

172 Responses to “Checkdowns Leave Sanchez, Jets Down and Out”

1. By Tom Spicer on Jan 1, 2012 | Reply

Santonio Holmes QUIT ON THE JETS he is supposed to be our captain! This is what LT said to the star ledger “Jets running back LaDainian Tomlinson said after the game Holmes was benched for behavior issues “There were guys in the huddle not happy with Santonio’s demeanor throughout the game and in the two-minute drill,” said Tomlinson, via ESPN. “And they said something to him about it. A source with knowledge of the decision-making process told The Star Ledger that the decision to bench Holmes was made by offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer because he had run out of options with a player whom one Jet called a quitter. “He quit,” the player said. “It’s happened for the past two to three weeks. It’s happened all season.

2. By Tom Spicer on Jan 1, 2012 | Reply

Holmes story continued. “Multiple players told the newspaper that Holmes was “moping” throughout the game, and the problems came to a head when Holmes and a teammate began arguing in a huddle during the fourth quarter. “The worst thing that can happen, the worst thing, is when your teammates start to question your passion for the game,” Tomlinson said, via The Star Ledger. “That’s the worst thing. And I think in that huddle, that’s what you saw. When guys looked in his eyes, and he didn’t have that fire in his eyes, guys were turned off about that.” Who are you going to believe LT a guy who has never done anything wrong in his life or Holmes to me this is unforgiveable. We are paying him $50 mil & he quit on us weeks ago!

3. By Mike V on Jan 1, 2012 | Reply

It should be clear to all that Sanchez is NOT ready to be the man. He is a regressing, lost, wide-eyed kid. Once again receivers are running open and MS check’s down into a pick. He turned a DT into A.J. Duhe!!! We need to sit MS for a year or two and get Peyton Manning. With all of our problems a good QB could have won this game. All we have to do is score 20 points!

4. By TehJungleman on Jan 1, 2012 | Reply

I wish I would never see Sanchez take another meaningful snap, that was a complete embarrassment. even people that I sometimes watch games with and understand nothing realizes he’s bad. Sanchez is unable to function unless everything else in the offense is clicking, and that’s not the kind of QB you want if the team is to win the big dance.

5. By Jerry Gordon on Jan 1, 2012 | Reply

I just returned from the the Jet/Miami game and witnessed the worst piece of coaching. Just before the first half ended, remaining time was minute plus and the Jets decided to throw the ball instead of using the time to end the half by running the ball. This led to the Dolphins having time for a three point goal with a kicker who can kick. I knew then, the game was lost and the Dolphin fans went bananas. Up intil that moment, the stadium was relatively quiiet. That little 3 point kick changed the game. Shame on u Jets Coaching Staff. I have been a fan since they were the Titans. You break my heart. An eighty year young Jet fan. Why???????????????????????????????

6. By Jimmer on Jan 1, 2012 | Reply

2 of the three INT’s were all MS. The one floating on Bricks back was a fluke.
    Keller, Kerley and Plax came to play today. Holmes’ attitude explains why Pitt was eager to move him. Everyone knows Hunter isn’t great, but to bicker in the huddle with him all day is a disgrace. The story is on ESPN and is from LT. He showed up as a bad apple. I haven’t seen such selfishness since 1996. We kept the wrong WR from last year. I thought so when F/A began, and I’ll repeat it now. BE and Sanchez had something that was growing. Holmes got his big payday and turned into one of those players that got the money, now don’t really care.

7. By 38 year fan on Jan 1, 2012 | Reply

Woody please get a new offensive coordinator . This is Terrible …Reminds me of the Kotite offense …We need someone who is proven ..our offense can’t run , pass outside , or take any shots downfield ..

8. By 38 year fan on Jan 1, 2012 | Reply

Offensive play calls are dreadfull …every team stacks up the box on us , cause they know what we run ..and we aren’t smart enough to change anything

9. By Jimmer on Jan 1, 2012 | Reply

Rex was right about BMoore last week. The guy is the best OL we have in protection. I watched the last 2 games twice&in slow motion. Hunter was utterly painful to watch. Slauson, is a good run-blocker, but that’s about it. Brick, not as good as we all think. Mangold is a great all around player. But I caught more flaws in his game than I thought I’d see. But Moore isn’t the same run-blocker as we’ve seen. His pass protection is top notch though.

10. By tommyohio on Jan 1, 2012 | Reply

obviously no one should have to wonder about MS skill set …….hes horrible

11. By Jimmer on Jan 1, 2012 | Reply

Leadership has been missing. We had Holmes as a captain this year, and the guy basically quit. But LT will not be back? We know Bart Scott isn’t coming back. So our leadership is going to be a quitter? Bo might be offered something he can’t refuse, another leader gone? Who will be left? Rip Mangini all you want, but he knew the value of leadership on the team. Without Scott, LT and Leonard,,, and maybe BO, who on this team demands respect? If Holmes played defense, Scott would have knocked him out.
    Revis, Harris and Mangold aren’t exactly leader types. Sanchez has proved timid in such a role. With all the money open with losing F/A’s, we can’t keep LT who could still do it all? I don’t get it.

12. By jetfan1 on Jan 1, 2012 | Reply

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

13. By TONY GARCIA on Jan 1, 2012 | Reply

Jet fan since 1969. Said it before 8-8 several weeks ago team was not consistent enough.Will get better draft position.

14. By Kevin65Fan on Jan 1, 2012 | Reply

2012…2012….We want Mac…We want Mac…Get strong kid…study up…get ready for the NFL. Norv Turner will make you a smart QB without any in-decisions…2012…2012..!!!

15. By jetfan1 on Jan 1, 2012 | Reply

Bring back BRAYLON! Get a Right Tackle to start then we would have Hunter and Rob Turner as back-ups and a Better O-line! Schotty should have been gone Three years ago! And he HAS TO GO!!!!!!!!! Someone, ANYONE TO COVER A TE!! E. Smith plays his heart out every game every play, unfortunately it only adds up to run support and some big hits. I wish we could get his effort from one of my former favorites Santonio Holmes! Hopefully Cumberland can recover from his injury and be our second TE. Mulligan has killed us all year with penalties, every time I see a flag on the offense I think Hunter or Mulligan AND usually I am right on. :( FINALLY 1 more year or LESS for Mark Sanchez! He has proven he cannot run Schotty’s pathetic predictable O!

16. By jetfan1 on Jan 1, 2012 | Reply

Better Yet! SIGN MATT FLYNN! Open competition for Q.B.

Of course all of this is dependent on BS going BYE BYE!
    If not SAME OL’ OFFENSIVE OFFENSE!

17. By boo on Jan 1, 2012 | Reply

Over 3 mins. left in the game, 2nd and 6 on your opponents 10 yard line, and your running game has been averaging over 4.5 yards/attempt. What plays do you wanna call. Of course, 2 pass plays in a row, that makes perfect sense. These next couple weeks are gonna be interesting, “cant wait” to see what changes we make.

18. By jetfan1 on Jan 1, 2012 | Reply

BRAYLON would run out every play, BLOCK, and give his ALL!

That is what we need from our players! Be like LT! Never give up!
    And if MS does not change his body language we are doomed!
    Show me a QB with emotions besides awww schucks! and DARN!
    His body language makes the fan feel bad when there is still a game at hand!
    Then I/we are disappointed in the lack of effort By some like SH today!
    It all depends on the QB! Who depends on the O-Line just like our supposed ground and pound. SORRY REX NOT THIS YEAR>

19. By jetfan1 on Jan 1, 2012 | Reply

I love the clever heading to this article, BUT, the problem is the supposed check down has been THE offense all year. No deep threat!
    BRING BACK BRAYLON EDWARDS!
    He should come cheap.

20. By scjoe on Jan 1, 2012 | Reply

Well, to the Sanchez supporters, I hate to say I told you so, but I will anyway. I told you so! Look, he is just way to inaccurate and has no pocket presence at all. Some call it “situational awareness” call it what you like, he don’t have it. I have been saying it for three years now and I don’t know how even the most die hard of Sanchez supporters can deny it at this point.That is all I will say about that issue for now. Next question will be how the QB position will be addressed by this front office. My opinion? Here are three options to think about. Manning (trade?) Flynn (GB) and Hoyer (NE) both will be unrestricted FAs. ALL are better options then we have now.

21. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jan 1, 2012 | Reply

We lost the season the way we played most of it, executing poorly, making the same mistakes over and over. The new factor I’d add is the lack of team discipline which I, as do Arte, Karan, and others, blame partly on the example that Rex sets. For the record, if Holmes did what they’re reporting he did, I’d consider trading him for picks. No one is untouchable and no one who behaves that way should even dream he is. As unlikely as it was, we could’ve still gotten the onside kick and won the game. Instead of playoffs, though, I’d rather see the organization take a good long look at itself across the board, top to bottom. And nobody had better tell me that if McElroy outplays Sanchez next summer he shouldn’t be given a chance to start.

22. By Jimmer on Jan 1, 2012 | Reply

1050 has a host that just said Holmes has punched his ticket out of NY. I don’t know if we could take the salary cap hit on that myself. But I will say We tried to force the ball to Kerley and he came through. Plax didn’t quit. Maybe a BE Plax and Kerley with P.Turner as WR. It may be one of the cheapest in the nfl. But you can rely on them all. Mulligan needs to go. To many mistakes, today’s catch means nothing compared to his mistakes. We need a serious TE as a second. DK is more a receiver, he doesn’t even chip DE’s/blitzers.
    But I like the backfield, we simply need a better 4 back.

23. By Joe DeVesta on Jan 1, 2012 | Reply

Sorry Sanchez has no presence as a QB…..RYAN NEEDS TO BE A FULL TIME
    COACH NOT JUST A DEFENSE COACH. AS A JET FAN I AM SICK OF HEARING YOU HAVE TO GIVE THE OTHER TEAM A LOT OF CREDIT.
    THE JETS AGAIN THIS YEAR ARE WITHOUT A DECENT PASS RUSHER?
    TANNENBAUM YOU MAY BE GOOD WITH NUMBERS BUT YOU ARE TERRIBLE WITH DRAFT SELECTIONS!
    OH YES PLEASE CUT WILSON AND MULLIGAN…..WILSON COULD NOT TACKLE MY GRANDMOTHER OR COVER STEVEY WONDER.
    MULLIGAN THE WORST TE IN THE NFL WEEK IN AND WEEK OUT!
    SAME OLD JETS RYAN……

24. By jack on Jan 1, 2012 | Reply

Mark is my favorite player. And I want him to do great things. But lack of Focus, and Fundamentals, are not going to get it done. If you want to be a quarterback in this league, you have to take care of the ball. Mark has not done that. He single handedly lost this game. Mark should pay less attention to Kate Upton, and more on playing QB for a team who is now going on 44 years with no championship. I love the Jets, but this is becoming a doomed franchize. Next year will be a telling year. If Mark doesn’t turn it around the jets will become the laughing stock of the NFL. With a coach who will run himself out of town very fast.

25. By Jimmer on Jan 1, 2012 | Reply

The DL might be the most complete unit on D. They do nothing exceptional, but have no flaws, which for this year is a serious plus. BT&BS are gone. Westerman is no BT, he is a situational player. But I know Maybin should be able to take the ILB slot next to Harris. He’s shown more than sideline to sideline speed, if you haven’t seen it, watch the games again.
    We really are good at CB. Wilson has been used as a blitzer so much, the guy is gassed when he’s in coverage. Revis and Cro really are formidable. Despite hiccups.
    ST-we probably need to replace both. ES has proven he cannot cover a TE, and JL is not only too small to cover a TE, but is coming off a second major injury.

26. By wayne on Jan 1, 2012 | Reply

THREE THE HARD WAY……Rexy can sound as defiant as he wants, there’s got to be more than a little humble pie on his plate tonite….If GQ is to remain the QB of this team, the Run game must first be fortified. LT is great to have around but only as a 3rd option. Must get lead RB with Greene as #2. Even at his age, LT still more effective than Greene. BETTER GET GQ YOUNG WRs WHO WILL FOLLOW OR THIS WILL NEVER WORK………As for that slow defense, can’t afford to lose anymore speed, sign Maybin and bring a couple of new faces. Don’t have to make a big splash…..QUALITY GUYS ONLY…..HC MUST START BEHAVING LIKE A QUALITY GUY…HIS ACT IS NOW OLD. 1st time as Jets supporter I got what I wanted in 41yrs and it’s a loss.

27. By Jimmer on Jan 1, 2012 | Reply

Coaching
    Why does Sanchez still try to make plays when there are none to be made,,,, resulting in INT’s. Coaching.
    How do we stop Tebow until the end of the game? Then decide to an all out blitz? Coaching.
    How do we accept a P and K that are subpar? Not coaching as much as GM.
    But the team was not built to win.
    The packers had a B/U qb break a gb record for yards passed with a b/u! The OL and System obviously do mean alot. We need to address those issues.

28. By cgb on Jan 1, 2012 | Reply

I know many jet fans will want shotty fired. but believe me it’s not the answer. Once again to many penalties for a team that needs every play to count, to make it into the endzone. Thats just the way this team is built. No big TO,or big plays from the jets ST resulting in a touchdown. I cannot remember the last time the jets had a touchdown scored ,that wasn’t made by their offense. The jets need to really work on their passing game,its not up to NFL standards.And its not just mark that needs to improve,o-line ,WR’s everyone working together. Frustrating to watch mark audible and have o-line jump off sides ,I think like 3 times. Stadium wasn’t even that loud. Somthing has been wrong all season, and there’s plenty of blame to go around.

29. By wayne on Jan 1, 2012 | Reply

GQ is still afraid to call out his teammates when they deserve it. A leader says the hard things when they must be said……………..LEAD GQ OR GET OUT THE WAY.

30. By Jimmer on Jan 1, 2012 | Reply

Ditch Brunell, Ditch Oconnell. McElroy was the only bright spot at QB this preseason. I hope this kid pushes Sanchez hard too. He was livid at not starting that game his rookie year. McElroy seems to have something Sanchez doesn’t. Quick reads. This kid had his head all over the place in preseason. He locked in on nobody. It is the quick read guys that can light up the scoreboard. I like Sanchez, but after 3yrs, he still stares down his first option. If McElroy is behind Sanchez, we might see better play. If not, let’s see what McElroy brings.

31. By Charlie on Jan 1, 2012 | Reply

At what point does Ryan stop saying that Sanchez is going to be a good QB? He cannot look off receivers and go to other receivers on the field. How many times can I go to games and see this so obvious and the open receivers being frustrated?
    Shotty is not the man to take this team to the next step. It’s time for the Jets management to step up and part ways and move on. The offensive line missed Rob Turner big time with his broken leg and he was the man that took on blockers on short yardage and when someone went down on the offiensive line. Mulligan cost the team many drives with his penalties.The offense had no down field threat. With Edwards last year they could stretch the field and Holmes was the underneath guy.
    WAKE UP MANAGEMENT!

32. By Chicago Bob on Jan 1, 2012 | Reply

Several facts about today. #1 – The Fish were without their best OL and the only sack we got was from a DB – DRAFT ANOTHER DE and get some pressure on the QB – use your 2nd pick and get an OLB. #2 – Why Schotty allows Mulligan to get on the field is unbelievable – if he is not dropping a pass, he is missing a block or committing a penalty – he is brutal. #3 – PIttsburgh knew what they were doing when they dumped Holmes – he is a cancer. #4 – our OL is overrated, as much as I would like to see them add a pass rusher with their first pick, if this kid Decastro from Stanford is there when we pick, you have got to take a serious look at him if you really want to run the ball next year – he is being touted as the best guard to come out in years

33. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jan 1, 2012 | Reply

GaryC or scjoe, which of you guys is it who’s been saying we should go after Flynn? Well, you won’t be the only guys saying it now. And not only is Flynn not yet “elite,” he’s not even a starter yet. Although that brings to mind what now seem like the premature raves for Kolb, who may lose his job to Fordham boy (yay!) Skelton. Cimini writes the Jets have little clout in the FA market and are poised to remake the team in the interest of “youth and speed” — “What’s this?!” (as they used to say on the BATMAN TV show), a late Christmas present? A Jet team built thru the draft on youth and speed is the best thing that could possibly happen so if that’s what we get for not making the playoffs, I’ll take it. I’d still like a new HC, though.

34. By Charliejet on Jan 1, 2012 | Reply

Just a couple of weeks ago I was supportive of Sanchez after today… Matt Flynn from Green Bay contract expires this year. The Jets should make a play at this kid its not like the Jets have to break open the bank for him. Sanchez needs competition to wake him up. We all feel the pain today yet somehow I feel we were put out of our misery.

35. By Wallace Ferguson on Jan 1, 2012 | Reply

Did you know that Drew Brees was a mediocre QB with San Diego before he went to NO? Did you know that the QB coach for SD at that time was BSchottenheimer? That’s three QBs who did great AFTER they got away from BS and his pedestrian play calling and infantile pass patterns. See also the years thet Favre and Pennington had after BS.
    IT’S TIME FOR A CHANGE!!!!!

36. By joe on Jan 1, 2012 | Reply

Hey SPICER you want to come on here and EXPLAIN TO US ALL HOW YOUR GREAT QB (the one who in your expert opinion is good enough to lead us to a SUPERBOWL WIN )THREW 2 INT TO DT ON CHECKDOWN PLAYS been watching football since 1972 NEVER HAVE I SEEN ANYTHING SO PITYFUL.i KNOW spicer its the ol oc and wrs FAULT .(LOL MAYBE SCHOTTY COACHED HIM INTO IT RIGHT)

37. By joe on Jan 1, 2012 | Reply

HEY SPICER like i have been posting all week D CORD have finally caught up with SANCHEZS SEVERE LIMITATIONS AS A QB AND ARE DEFENCIVELY HIM ACCORDINGLY He really appeared to care on the sidelines and in the post game interviews.All SANCHEZ WANTS IS TO CASH HIS CHECK AND HE ON MAG COVERS

38. By joe on Jan 1, 2012 | Reply

ps SPICER CHECK OUT matt stafford as thats what 3rd year franchise qbs are supposed to play like

39. By Howie D on Jan 1, 2012 | Reply

I’m not spending one more dime supporting this team if Schotty and Cavanaugh aren’t replaced. I fly to at least one game a year, spend tons on tickets, my 2 sons and I spend lots of cash on Jets merchandise, I was at the game in Miami, on and on. Jets will always be in my heart, but I’ll stay home and watch if these guys aren’t replaced. It’s still baffling why they’re still here. I may not be able to tell the brass what to do, but I sure as hell can control what I do and how I spend my money. My cash goes towards Schotty’s salary and 6 years of no return is enough.

40. By Jetsman on Jan 1, 2012 | Reply

Hearing from some sources that Bart Scott is on the way out!! Not happy with that at all, I’m concerned with who we’ll replace his leadership and run defense with. Also hearing some better news that Norv Turner of SD is being looked at, which is great because Schotty’s offense is really similar to Turner’s. That means we can keep continuity while upgrading the OC spot. Here’s to hoping we can bring over Norv Turner!

41. By joe on Jan 1, 2012 | Reply

Specifically SPICER word on the street is your boy SANCHEZ doesnt like to get hit .(WHEN HE DOES HES GUNSHY DROPS HIS HEAD AND ITS ALL OVER SPICER. For your info Spicer GREAT QBS ALWAYS LOOK DOWNFIELD EVEN WHEN RUSHED HARD )WE CANT EVEN REMOTELY COMMENT ON HIS FIELD PRESCENCE AS DOWNFIELD THROWS DONT EXIST BECAUSE OF THIS issue.NO OC CAN POSSIBLY TEACH SOMEONE TO PLAY THRU THE HITS EITHER A QB HAS IT OR DOESNT..

42. By Howie D on Jan 1, 2012 | Reply

Former player and NFL analyst, Deon Saunders says “Something is wrong with the Schotty-Sanchez combination, both of them cannot stay, one or both have to go.” That’s the same conclusion to which a baby out of the womb, or an alien from out of space would make.

43. By Tom Spicer on Jan 1, 2012 | Reply

This is what I am talking about when I say we have no explosive players. 1 Who on are team when they run the ball has the speed to take it the distance? 2 Who is our Victor Cruz? watching the Giants the last 2 weeks he took a 10 yard hook the distance & took a 5 yard out the distance. These are high school plays there was nothing fancy about them. But he has break away speed something our team does not have.

44. By Tom Spicer on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

Mangini was fired after he went 9 & 7 Rex has now gone 9 & 7 & 8 & 8. When is he going to get the axe? SAME OLD JETS!

45. By Mark@Jets Realty on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

Holes were exploited last 3 games. Get rid of:
    Mike Westoff -2 much autonomy on ST decisions, letting go of Weatherford was big mistake. B. Scott-Played well some games but very little impact plays.
    D. Strictland-Out of position too much. Can’t cover TE.
    E. Smith-See D. Strictland.
    W.Hunter-Ask MS older brother.-Did D’Brick really make Pro Bowl?
    Schotty,Cavanaugh,& WR coach who ever he is. Why does M. Petine get a pass? We gave up 30 or more pts. 5 X’s. Pats & Dolphins only once. What happened to K. Wilson last 3 games? Kerley will be a star another Percy Harvin. Go for Peyton if it makes sense. If Holmes was yelling at OL, I’m on his side! Give MS an eye test & he should get to bed early & alone next yr. Pg. 6 was right! Shut up Rex!

46. By Howie D on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

Rex says he doesn’t like losing and I understand. There are lots of folks who also don’t losing who go to Belmont Park and week after week fail to hit the Trifecta. Those folks have good intentions as well, but they’re also losers. Same thing with Rex, he might want win, but if he’s betting on a losing horse – Schotty – it makes him a loser. Cut your losses and move on, Rex.

47. By knucklehead on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

No Comment

48. By Jimmer on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

Again. this is not all Shotty’s fault. The OL was bad, and we didn’t have a TE to help. Even so, he needs to be gone. He ended Chads career, almost ended Favre’s, and will surely end Sanchez’s if given another year.
    We need new blood, even if it’s ancient. Someone who can take advantage of what we do have on offense. Sanchez really is good on the move. Kerley feels sanchez like BE did. Give MS who he feels good with, and protect him. Plax is not getting a huge contract, keep him, MS likes him in the redzone.
    BE is free, just protect MS. Concentrate on the D covering a TE.

49. By sal on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

all they had to do is win? is this right? either way, Sancheze can not be the starter for this team, maybe in the mid west he will do well, no fire in this guy,Listening to him after every loss is the same non apatetic response, I cant turn the ball over I got to make that throw, maybe I threw it behind him alittle, I should know better, give the fans a break, we watch the Pats rebuild in the play offs, the Giants rebuild in the playoffs, the Ravens down a season back in the playoffs, I hope the Giants save this citys face once again. Bad off season decisions maybe, but if the QB had one or two more decent games, the team would be in the dance. He has not earned the position, and now he dosnt deserve the position period

50. By tim McSherry on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

What i believe the new yorks jets should do in the off seasons is try to trade up a draft pick if the colts pass on andrew luck and try and trade with the rams who have the second pick. the rams already have the qb trade up some draft picks and other scrubs and get us the phenom on the century

51. By Karan on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

Santonio wants to quit on us, then thats fine, we’ll quit on you too. I don’t care how good the guy is, leave the Jets “captain”.

52. By sal on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

Jetsman it figures, norn will be here next instead of Tom Moore and Payton, Is it me or does the players on this team after each post game show sound pretty robotic, no emotion, maybe Rex did lose some of the team, mike Petine needs to be Rex,s secretary not his coordinator, He needs to get back to focusing on the D, running the and Delagate the Offense to a proven Tandem, other wise he too will be gone after next year, another great cordinator to head coach flop!

53. By Jimmer on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

SG haters, get a life. The guy is like Brandon Jacobs(when he wants to play), everyday. SG, LT JM and a 4th(draft pick) are pretty scary.
    Look at the OL, our best run blocker was hurt. Slauson was our primary run-blocker this year. Did that help anyone?
    We could not run to the right this yr. It’ll be different next season. Moore’s surgery limited us, but so did injuries. Get off the backs. We did pretty good behind a hurt OL. I’m suprised they did as good as they did. We basically had a 3 man OL this yr.
    Stop being a hater and embrace what they did get behind such an peanutbutter OL.

54. By Karan on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

What a dissapointing season, all I can say is I hope we get a brand new offensive coaching staff, and I think Sanchez should get at least a year in the new staff. I’ve lost a little bit of confidence in him because I’ve supported him a lot but one more year, if he’s good keep him, if not, well goodbye.

55. By Karan on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

I hope we keep Brandon Moore, the guy is awesome but knowing the Jets, because of Moore’s age, he might be released before the start of next season.

56. By Karan on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

We should release Wayne Hunter, Vlad Ducasse, Matt Mulligan, Bryan Thomas, Ropati Pitatuhuo (don’t know how to spell his name), Eric Smith, Nick Folk, TJ Conley, Donald Strickland, I can’t believe I’m saying this, but also consider Bart Scott and Santonio Holmes the quitter. No wonder the Steelers released him, selfish player. Most importantly, release the entire offensive coaching staff, I guess keep Callahan, fire the QB coach, WR coach, RB coach, and of course Brian Schottenheimer. Keep only Tom Moore.

57. By sal on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

would one of you insiders find out what happened between sancheze and Holmes, this year, and why he never formed a connection with Burris, do we have to wait till this guy has who he wants to throw too, for the team to wim, maybe they should clone keller, even then he cant throw more tha 15 yards!

58. By Jimmer on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

Wallace, you are correct. Brees was a mediocre qb under Shotty. Are we going to let Sanchez go to another team and become the Brees of today?

59. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

Wow, Jerry, 80 yrs old and you’re still hanging in! Howie D, thanks for the Deion quote, that’s the kind of stuff he and other ex-players have said all yr. Jimmer, cgb, Spicer and others, I’m sure I looked like a bomb thrower when I said that Rex, Schotty, and Sanchez can all go but now I’ll throw in Holmes, this is a bad team with a few great players, some promising young guys, a lot of overrated guys, and no real vision at the GM/HC level. See how many teams hovered around .500 this yr? You could replace practically everybody on this team and still probably go 8-8 so no, I’m no bomb thrower, I just recognize a mess when I see it. And I started to see it vs. OAK and BAL. We have nothing to lose by shaking things up and going for youth.

60. By Jimmer on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

Some talking head on nbc said something clueless today. He said Brady is calm and cool while getting hit. That was the biggest lie I ever heard. MS is twice the man Brady is. DE’s look at Brady and he gets the deer in the headlights look. Sanchez took the worst beating in modern NFL history, and still walked away. He’s not gonna take that beating again, or Tanny should worry about his job. The kid even ran in 6TD’s. He took a beating no QB should ever take. Somehow finished the season. And he only gets critcized. The only QB in Sanchez’s class is Big Ben. Yeah, a GQ QB with guts. The kid played like a timex for those who refuse to see he was the most beaten up qb this tr.

61. By Jimmer on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

To the draft:
    who knows what will be there at pick 15 or so. But many want a pass rusher. I disagree. I want the best player available. If it’s a player I don’t think we need, we should still draft them.
    Pass Rusher, ST,ST, LB, LB, RT, LG.
    We have needs, but I say we take the best player at any needed spot. If it is a LG that is a mauler, oh well, take them. If it’s a ST, take them. Taking a CB or QB makes no sense, trade the pick if that’s what the deal is.
    At 15 or so, we can get a pass rusher, but a TE is still wide open before he hits the QB. Gholston proved that is a wasted guess anyway.

62. By Westcoast GangGreen on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

Wow!! The coaching overall failed this season, our QB definitely failed and the offensive line,the defnsive line failed this season and the whole Jet team failed.. Which should make for a very interesting off season.. Hope Woody doesn’t fail also… Jet Nation enjoy the off season.

63. By Jimmer on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

Our backend is formidable.
    A ST that can cover as well as hit is a priority. So is a LB that can do the same. I think Maybin will work as ILB, but OLB needs to be addressed.
    RT and LG are next. Be it FA or the draft, RT is like drafting a franchise qb at this point.
    A real TE needs to be drafted. Mulligan is, well, a, mulligan.
    If a QB has no time to throw, why have a QB? Our boy has been a whipping post in 2011. How he survived it is a tale of his manhood. Tanny let him get beaten like a redheaded stepchild. If we want to find out if he is good, we need to do better than that.

64. By Jimmer on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

Finally,
    Coaching on the O needs change.
    If we have the best OL coach alive, why were we so bad?
    Kicker, Punter? Anybody?
    Our teams were great. It’s the rest that stunk.
    QB coach?
    OC?
    Hello?
    How exactly do you cover a TE?
    duh?

65. By PurpleFlash on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

Santonio, the Jets should just cut you tomorrow. You were supposed to be a leader, a captain. If you quit on your team, your coaches, the fans and the owners who paid you so much money, Just cutting you loose immediately would send the message to the team and all of us. Only Team Players who will lay it all on the line for your teammates, coaches, and most of all, us Jets fans (who actually take our hard earned money out of our pocket to give it to you players because being a Jets fan means something important to us) are wanted around here. Go quit somewhere else.

66. By PurpleFlash on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

Some of you guys who want Norv Turner… please NO!… That Norv Turner who doesn’t believe in the run, who basically really limited LT’s effectiveness his last two or three years with the Chargers by getting rid of the lead blocking Fullback position (releasing Lorenzo Neal for Devin Hester because Hester had better hands….”. You guys really don’t want this. I live out here in San Diego and I’ve seen this.

67. By Kerroj on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

What a heart-breaking end to the season.. What the hell is with SH??? Frustration or a prima-donna? I was a supporter of MS but not anymore. He does not have the mechanics down and has regressed. Watching MS on the sidelines during the game he looked like he was hanging out by the pool! The Jets overall have a lot of problems. The most glaring is no consistent pass-rush which = sacks. We also need someone who can prevent pass completions in the middle! Shot calls more bad plays than good ones, get rid of him! LT should have gotten the ball more often in this game, he was on fire, but no, we had to stick with SG who was lack-luster. I’d love to see BE back and SH needs an attitude adjustment or trade him!

68. By PurpleFlash on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

And finally,. with the money we save by cutting the selfish quitter Homes, who I had been a fan of… we can at least throw some it back LT’s way and bring him back. The Jets need LT in the locker room and we need him on the field, even in the limited role. And w can bring back Braylon Edwards if he is healthy. He may have left wanting a big payday (which he didn’t get in SF) but he played with heart effort, blocking and could stretched the field. Funny, Sanchez used to be able to get him the ball down field.

69. By Kerroj on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

Let’s get a good back-up QB playing behind a superstar like GB’s Flynn who had a phenomenal game! Put him in training camp w/Sanchez & McElroy and see who wins the competition! Get rid of everybody else on the QB roster. Beef up the OL too for better protection and running lanes. I hope LT stays.. he showed today he can still play.

70. By ddh on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

The chemistry that once was, is gone. traded away for savings, or for a players stats that do not reflect the team atmosphere that created it. No player is that good it takes a team, and that takes time. When Jericho left the Jets I couldn’t believe or understand why, I do now. Shaun Ellis should have retired a Jet, he earned it, Tanny and Rex haven’t, that’s team ethics, and when the business side of football violates it that living culture of team dies. Revolving doors kill teams. Player leadership and mentoring stop being absorbed communication ceases, there no “repecting of elders mentality” their all satistic superstars all chiefs and no indians. In mgmts zeal for the ring, they undermined their great asset, a solid foundation.

71. By nyj97 on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

at the moment id rather have braylon edwards than santonio homes just my opinion

72. By jetsfan80 on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

Today’s stunt by Holmes is why I don’t like bringing in guys with little to no character. As long as they’re winning, everything is fine. But when a man’s character really shows through is during the tough times. Holmes failed that test today. I will not support a player with that type of attitude. Sanchez killed us with the immediate checkdowns again and D-lineman around the league only need to look at the tapes to know how to beat him. He has got to improve on this before next season. And for crying out loud, give the receivers some time to get free by using your great mobility. Look at the Turner TD. He rolled out and #88 got enough space to score. I’d give #6 one more year to improve (of course he’ll need WRs that won’t quit on him).

73. By jetsfan80 on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

Some folks may want a Super Bowl no matter what the cost. But I feel much better as a fan if they showed more character. Win or lose, it was hard not to support a team with players of high character like Martin, Chrebet, Pennington, Cotchery, Mawae, Klecko, Lyons, Mo Lewis, Victor Green, Coles. Give me the ’96 team that went 1-15 over some of these players we have now. They lost but they were a group of guys I didn’t mind defending because they played hard and were likeable human beings. I’m personally tired of trying to find positive things to say about arrogant players like Holmes, Scott, Cromartie, and Burress (and yes, Braylon from last season too). Mike T, please look beyond just on-the-field talent for the team I’ve loved so long.

74. By ddh on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

I feel the Jets have become a patchwork of players, plug-ins that don’t compliment anyone else, What good is a player who can run block but cant pass block? whatever happened to being a complete position player, Do the Jets need to rebuild ? Forget about the damn ring and focus on fielding a balanced team, a great RB is useless without an effective OL, same for a QB, a great secondary is useless without a solid DL.. The OL and DL are the foundation,Build from the foundation up, with depth, and you will be competitive in every game. The Jets are like a building swaying in the wind, exposing stressed areas, that good teams pick apart.There’s no cure for a poor foundation, period. cont

75. By Carlos on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

The jig is up, Will the Real Sanchez, please stand up?We all saw the Real Sanchez on the final game of the season.No defensive heroics to pull another game out of the fire for him.His performances were leading up to this grand finale since the embarrassment at Mile High..He just doesn´t have what it takes to get it done.His arm?His brains?His Intuition?His ability to make the right decisions?They never show up when it most matters.Too bad he´ll stay around” for as long as Schotty remains in the staff” which I hope isn´t too long.

76. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

Spicer will pt to Sanchez having the 9th most TDs (throwing, that is), and that’s surely a pt in MS’s favor, even if he’s 13-20 TDs behind the real leaders in that category. But aside from MS’s bottom-3rd finish for QBs overall, aside from his alarming number of disastrous turnovers, the key stat for me, the one that most vividly reveals what his play was actually like game-by-game, is his 6.4 yds p/att, tied with Cassel, Tebow, and Ponder for 4th worst, barely above Painter’s 6.3 and just behind Freeman’s 6.5. Blame MS, Rex, Schotty, or all of the above, but it’s simply not realistic to expect to win big this way. Rodgers, Brees, and Brady are at 9.2, 8.3, and 8.6. Clearly our entire approach to the passing game needs radical rethinking.

77. By ddh on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

cont… and since the Jets always seem to prefer playing against an opponents strengths, it forces the Jets to be that much more of a complete team, while their game plans often leave their weaknesses exposed.

78. By Another Tom on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

The entire season was a train wreck and management gets an ” F ” grade as they made mostly all the wrong moves. The biggest blunder was not having a legitimate back up QB. MS is not who we thought He was..He seems lost and mentally weak. Kerley looks like the real deal and Wilkerson and maybin have great upside..We NEED LT one more year..true professional

79. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

Also Karan, nobody complained about Ellard last yr when he helped Edwards solve his career-long problem with drops, worked BE, Holmes, and J-Co into an O in which all 3 caught a lot of passes and made plays, and generally kept Sanchez going in the right direction. So let’s not dump on him for a yr in which the OL plays badly, the Jets change WRs and fail to get a backup C leading to total disaster on the OL, and when MS himself quite possibly shows that he’s either not the guy or that he needs a new OC or HC or at least needs a little more time. Myself, I lean toward MS doesn’t have it because his learning curve is so slow and some of his fundamentals are so poor, but he certainly hasn’t gotten any help from our offensively-challenged HC.

80. By Mark@Jets Realty on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

I still do not understand why Mike Petine gets a free pass? I’m no Schotty fan and he has to go but let’s be real! The two long drives vs. Denver & Fish were as bad as any MS INT or Schotty 3rd down play calling! Almost every QB we played this year we made look better than they are. We cannot make a 3rd down stop. And our tackling was the worst I’ve seen. Petine has to got tot be held accountable for something. Kyle Wilson regressed the last 3 games as much as MS regressed this season. Rex is becomeing a joke. He has to be a head coach and not give full autonomy to his OC and ST coach. Hey Woody, no more spending my money. The only Jet jersey I’m going to wear is #12.

81. By joeyjets12fla on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

throwing the ball as much as they did in the gints game did not bother me. if MS throws that ball away and no safety there was time to win the game if we had won on that drive everyone would be saying the play calling was genious.if MS handed the ball off it would have still been a safety the D was in the back field just about at the snap.it’s called disgiuse the play.funny thing was the giants get a touchdown on 3dr and long from the 1 and the fish get a first down on the identical play yesterday. and they threw the ball. MS needs to take a sack or throw the ball away and you’re alive for another play. a think moore is here for a reason. transition anyone. please miami give schottie a HC job.

82. By SCfromNY on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

In the third year MS was supposed to shine. He got really bad. Please save the comparrison to Drew Brees. Drew had bad days but ALWAYS managed a long ball. Sanchez the first couple of years was throwing deeper balls. Remember all the late game wins hitting Holmes. What happened to that. And do not always blame Shotty. Sanchez spends so much time “Killing” plays and checking off to 3 yard passes and the same could be checked off to deep passes. Sanchez will be a great “back up” QB for us or someone just not a starter no less franchise QB. Part of Rex Ryan’s problem is his love of “HIS” players. Scott is medioce at best, Leanard is good but way to small to handle the tight end heavy offences. Finally: in TOO many games Sanchez looks lost.

83. By a.k on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

oh well..you can always root for a better team, like the patriots….GO PATS

84. By joe on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

I have said it once will say it again the JETS problems STEM FROM ALL THE FAILED DRAFT CHOICES (a coaching change cant fix a bad player )SANCHEZ WILSON CLEMONS DUCCASSE .Over the past 5 years BEYOND TERRIBLE.The directer of player personal needs to go.History shows that when a team misses on a QB ITS SETS THE ORG BACK 5 YEARS.Did you guys see SANCHEZ after the game (he just plain didnt give a damn ).Its like let me get my check and get out of here)

85. By GaryC on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

to jet fan tom, nice that your being a stand up guy about Holmes, his true colors did show and yes if you can get draft picks I believe we both would be for that.Going for youth and speed is also good, hopefully this season has awakened some eyes in management and we can put a better team together.

86. By Russell on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

Another big game, another big no show by the Jets. That falls on the shoulders of the Head Coach. Rex, no more predictions, no more bravado, no more bulletin board material. Mark Sanchez, please, spend this offseason learning how to read defenses and how to make better situational decisions. It’s better to take the sack and regroup for the next play. Rework your contract before taking that bonus you think you’re going to get. All the false start penalties are merely lacks of concentration which result from lack of discipline. Rex, you made the mess, now clean it up. Santonio Holmes, for the money you’re guaranteed, either play and lead like a captain or else turn in the C and retire. LaDainian, great career, see you in Canton.

87. By bergenjets on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

GET RID OF HOLMES, the salary cap be damned!! The man is a cancer. Folks can blame Sanchez all they want and rightfully so, but how many times did we see the back of Eric Smith’s jersey trying to chase down a player he just missed tackling? What about Wayne Hunter’s league leading 22 sacks allowed? What about the defense’s inability to cover TE’s all season? What about the terrible route running by Holmes all season? What about the awful run blocking in the first half of the season? How many games was Bart Scott a NON factor? Keep Rex and the defensive staff. Clean house on offense, except Callahan and Moore if they can keep him around. Tannenbaum needs to be put under the microscope too.

88. By TS on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

I knew this season was destined for mediocrity at best. The only QB on the roster that could have gotten this team to the playoffs is 41 yrs old. McElroy is not the answer and Sanchez will wind up a 3rd string QB somewhere before being released to join Ryan Leaf coaching sandlot or middle school in CA. Keep Brunnell and find 2 quality QB’s. They are out there. Sanchez is the worst 3 year starter in modern NFL history. JETS management, face reality. It’s ok to say you were wrong on this very likeable, average skill set guy.

89. By Russell on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

Offseason Moves.Special Teams, Jets need another place kicker and punter. Defensively, not one but two linebackers, one inside and one outside. A safety who can cover the tight end. Also, depth at the defensive line spots, especially the DE spots. Offensively, a Right Tackle, a healthy return of Robert Turner, a Running Back to compliment Shonn Greene, another Wide Receiver and more depth along the offensive line. I don’t know where the Jets are drafting, but if available, I would select OLB Courtney Upshaw out of Alabama with my first round selection. I forgot, Coaching Staff. A new Offensive Coordinator and a new Quarterbacks Coach. Let’s build and fix things through the draft instead of free agency.

90. By TS on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

And leave Santonio Holmes alone. How would you like to play your guts out and the QB can’t get a ball past the line of scrimmage? It’s pathetic. The SEC has 10 QB’sbetter than Sanchez. Really.

91. By Tom Spicer on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

This O line is terrible every time we are driving a holding, a false start, a sack. Mulligan a face mask, a holding & 2 false starts. Why do they even play this guy? Brick 2 false starts & gave up 2 sacks. How this guy made the pro bowl is beyond me. This is by far the worst season he has ever had. Hunter a false start & basically got beat like a a drum all year. We had 5 false starts yesterday they are drive killers. The picks were 100% Marks fault YOU CAN NOT MAKE THOSE THROWS YOU HAVE TO TAKE THE SACK. Lets say he does take those sacks there is another 5 sack game by our O line instead of a 2 sack game. Hunter & Brick getting beat all day off the corner by Wake & Taylor.

92. By Carl on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

I have been a Jet fan for a long time. I had to take bad mouthing in the military about the jets, and now in the post office where I work. I have always wore my jets hat or jersey proud. It is time to make some changes, REAL BIG changes. I hope the owners realize this. It has been a long time since we have won a superbowl. Also it is time to shut up and play. Let the end of the season speak for itself.

93. By wayne on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

GQ was given an oppty to take command of the Jets on sunday and he flubbed it……..The OC shouldn’t have taken Holmes out of the game. Mark Sanchez should have chewed him out and called for another WR. His team would have rallied behind him and he would have once and for all declared he was the leader. Instead he handled it the way he did this summer when Holmes showed up his teammates…..If he’s not concerned about showing up his guys, why is anyone concerned about showing him up? Sorry Mark Sanchez is missing something and that something is the IT everyone was saying he had…..THE HOLMES SITUATION CAN ONLY GET WORSE.

94. By DGC on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

I knew deep down inside I had no right to hope, but I did anyway. We all
    saw what happened, we were great for a couple of series and less then
    average to horriblte for the most of the game.
    What scares me is Rex STILL singing the praises of Sanchez….STILL !
    He must at least leave the door open to change and not just keep giving the
    keys to Sanchez.
    We have eroded greatly from a 2 time playoff team. Woody, I’m not sure
    Rex can see what’s broken, let alone fix it. We have one top teer player on
    D, 1 1/2 on O, a good D coach, a great special teams coach, and no coaches
    on offence. Where do we go from here ?

95. By Howie D on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

I don’t condone what Holmes did, if he “quitted on the team,” but I can certainly understand his frustration. The guy’s been stifled since he got here, especially this year. He’s a proven big time player and in a game that mattered was ignored until the 3rd quarter? This Offense is a mess and is responsible for where we are today. I have no doubt that he be successful on another team, too bad we don’t have to leadership to properly utilize his skills.

96. By no one listens to Blinka on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

I am a loser:

Hard to put the real blame for the performance but obviously sanchez’s play was poor. Was it the OL, Shotty or both? In my opinion much blame for this season should be directed to the moves that the front office has made…..
    1. they released some important veterans that may have come back: Woody, T. Rich, Jericho
    2. Woeful, woeful woeful drafts. We have One great player, just one! Mangold, D’brick and Harris are very good. Everyone else is just average.
    This poor drafting is the reason I don’t see the franchise getting any better anytime soon. I can thing of a host of teams that are poised to win a SB before us.
    Gholston, Sanchez, Wilson, Ducase, When so many high draft choices are non impact players you have….

97. By no one listens to Blinka on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

i am a loser continued

…….to understand that you will fail.

I would appreciate followup comments

98. By Eli Rodriguez on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

First of all I’m picking the Saints to win the Superbowl. We can forget about Norv Turner coming-Rex would fell threaten. I, myself would go with Josh McDaniel he’s very emotional. All receiver are spoil brats and in Holmes defense his numbers are down. I would be waiting when the Pats release Chad 8-5, and bring back B.E. I start shopping Holmes for 2 offensive linemen or one 1st and one 2nd round. I FIRE whoever is in charge of scouting, they’re horrible. And if Rex starts Sanchez over Big MAC! fire him too because he lost his mind. Greg McElroy will beat out Mark Sanchez-let’s see if Rex is man enough to call it.

99. By Carl on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

I was a big supporter of Rex, Schotty, and Sanchez for the past three years. I don’t like the Pats especially Billichick after leaving the Jets the way he did. We need a coach like that . Look at the Giants head coach. I was a BIG Buddy Ryan fan. I hope the head man makes the changes he needs to do so we can win a superbowl!

100. By John B on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

Guys, please don’t get rid of Bart Scott! He is still good and even though his production has slipped, he is still good!

101. By Gabriel on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

Karan are you serious your crazy. You want to revamp the entire Offense like that?? Do your research before you go say anything foolish. I do agree with firing the Qb Coach and our OC. Bart scott is an important leader in this defense but I would really like for us to start getting young and quick on the D so expet more of our eariler draft picks to be on the D.

102. By Frank on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

Bottom line is Rex has lost the team. The folly that played out on the field yesterday proves it. He doesn’t have the savy to get his team back he is in way over his head he lacks discipline, personel and management skills. He bungled his way through this season embarassing everyone who wears Jets green. From bungling the captainship by giving it to Sanchez and Holmes to the Aso debacle to basically flipping off Cotchery and Edwards to bringing in Mason and Plaxico his ego destroyed the team. TanWoody went from one extreme Mangini to the other extreme Rex. If the Colts don’t rollover for the Jets in 2009 Rex would have been 8-8, 11-5 and 8-8 and missing the playoffs two out of three years. He has gets an F and needs to go!

103. By BillsJets on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

Sanchez is just plain old bad. The Offensive line keeps getting credit for being one of the best in the NFL, but in saying that Sanchez is getting sacked or running for his life on every play. Holmes & Burress obviously are washed up wide receivers and this year proved it. Jets Defensive backs are all too small, with the exception of keeping Revis the rest should go, we need taller and quicker CBs. The Jets Defensive Linemen are slow and can’t even put on a pass rush unless we blitz, we need size, can we switch with the Giants, I’d take their four down linemen any day over our four down linemen. Can we trade about 3 or 4 guys plus Sanchez for Cam Newton. This off season we need to make some serious trades or dump players.

104. By GaryC on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

Aren’t you supposed to cut the defensive lineman on screens and such,why is it that they are always standing when the screens are being run,could that be bad coaching,Please, no more trading of picks,Joey Clinkscales needs to follow shotty close behind out the door.Ludicrous thinking by Rex, that making Holmes captain would make him more responsible.JET FAN TOM,you are one of the first guys to lambast me when I make comments like,YOU WIN WITH CHARACTER,NOT WITH CHARACTERS,how is that looking now.

105. By GaryC on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

sanchez needs to have someone tell him off like Strahan and Tiki Barber did to Eli,and maybe this will wake him up and tell him this isn’t USC any longer and you do not have Pete Carroll cajoling you constantly,Man up as Joe Brown would say.

106. By GaryC on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

remember when I said that sanchez needed to stop following Holmes lead and when he did that stupid airplane dance that sanchez needed to tell him to stop that garbage instead of following him and doing it also.

107. By jetfan1 on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

I know this will not be a popular post But, If you were playing football against the worlds best players and boy wonder(your QB MS) has not only forgotten your number ,also thrown away games multiple times and just TO ME mopes after every 3 and out or sack or int, or fumble and don’t forget the off target throws!(has he shown the emotion of anger ever?) I would understand (not condone) if you were getting upset in the last game of the year as once again you were1) not used in the offense, 2)hearing and knowing the play just called makes no sense, will not work, and is so so so very predictable!3) You can feel your season ending as the same ol’ is just accepted and repeated..4) you actually believe that as a captain someone might listen to y

108. By scjoe on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

64, That would be me. I have been on the Mat Flynn bandwagon since I saw him take NE apart last season. He is now a an unrestricted FA and will be a starting QB in 2012. In a perfect world it would be for the NY Jets, but we do not live in a perfect world. If Sanchez was a 5th rd pick or an undrafted FA he would be gone as the NY Jets starting QB, no doubt. Enter the politics of the NFL and the NY Jets! As much as you and I and a lot of others disagree with that, it will happen.This front office would rather lose then to lose face for their mistake.

109. By jetfan1 on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

ou when you call out the offensive line. you believe this is part of your job to expect better! …….

110. By Hank K on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

Stop blaming Sanchez completely. The team DID NOT step forward this year. They made bad player deals, There was no discilpline and concentration, offensive scheme was horrible. A young QB can not step forward when the coaching staff and team regresses as a whole. Sanchez looked bad at the end of this year, but I am not surprised. No protection, poor right side offensive line play, and cry baby over payed receivers like Holmes. Sanchez may not be the guy, but right now our whole team is a mess. Rex needs to stop running his mouth and being friends with these guys, and just COACH them. And Schotty needs to go. There is much to be done this off season.

111. By scjoe on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

64, and others, I have gone on record here as a lot of us have about a change at OC. Simply because the combination is not working. That said, changing the OC AND retaining Mark Sanchez as your starting QB in 2012 would have about the same effect of changing the deck chairs on the Titanic the day before.If any real football fan believes that another OC will come in hear and instantly and miraculously solve Sanchez”s accuracy problem, or correct his “situational awareness” then I have a nice bridge to sell you. It may be a little old but it is still in good working order. The answer? Matt Flynn as our QB and someone off of that GB staff as our OC in 2012. I know, wishful thinking.

112. By jetfan1 on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

and I do not blame him for TRYING to demand it! HOWEVER, what santonio is not realizing is that some people want it to be all cake and ice cream! “Good Job” and all that jazz! “you’ll get em next time big fella!” “you will get better, you will make better throws!” C’mon How many times has SH laid his own body out to make great catches for this team? I would like to see MS or WH come even close to giving his effort and emotion! All MS does is apologize and say I have to do better we will fix it! And all WH can do is smile?

113. By jetfan1 on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

Guess what everybody for this year “THERE IS NO NEXT TIME ANYMORE” no getting him next time, no better throw on target next time! You have to earn next time and maybe just maybe SH got sick of it and saw certain OC RT and maybe QB’s were giving away the season all along!

114. By scjoe on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

If Wayne Hunter or Mulligan have a roster spot on this team in 2012 there needs to be a massive investigation. I can not remember an OT or a TE, starter or b/u ever being as bad as these two players. That said, when Hunter is released the whole core of back up OTs have to go along with him. It is hard for me to believe that of all the b/us we had on this roster not one of them were a moire viable option then Hunter at RT. Just hard to believe. You can build him up and brag on him all day at your pressers Rex, bottom line is he is not an NFL player. Notice I didn’t say “starter” I said player.

115. By 38 year fan on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

We lost to crap teams ..the pats , the raiders , the broncos , and the dolphins..we do not deserve to be in ther playoffs ..We need a new offense ..get Chrebet and Vinnie to run it

116. By nytitan on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

That was the perfect way to end the season,uninspired play, fighting amongst themselves and the usual boneheaded penalties(mulligan aptly named). Probably the worst quarterback play i have seen from a jet in along time( well maybe last week or the week before).Our slot receiver had the best throw of the game. The whole off staff has to go and as for Pettine let’s see 12 + min. 94yd. drive, last week 3rd & 10 from the 1 99yd td, last drve @ Denver it goes on & on. This team has no heart, discipline and glacier speed on both sides of the ball. I hope management see’s and “UNDERSTANDS” the same issues this team has as us fans do. I wouldn’t count on it. Happy New Year & Same Old Jets! to all.

117. By 38 year fan on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

I hope LT comes back next year , he is one of our bright spots ..He should have been captain

118. By jetfan1 on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

@ those who say it is the primadonna WR’s that are the problem, I just wanted to remind you SH AND PB have won a Super Bowl before! The other point I would like to make is Watch Eli Manning';s throws down field, They are not always precise the receiver adjusts to the ball and make those plays happen! Kind of like BRAYLON EDWARDS DID FOR SANCHEZ! Plax, Holmes, Kerly, and Braylon! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE! Add an O-lineman at RT keep LT,better back up TE and a pass rushing DE! If that does not work get rid of Sanchez!

119. By 38 year fan on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

We should get Leinhart as a backup in the off season ..And imagine Testaverdi as offensive coach ? Look at what the Harbaugh boys are doing ..And Vinnie was 10 x better than them …remember the Monday night miracle ? He was running plays off his hand

120. By patty on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

If you don’t get a pass rusher and someone who can cover tight ends, I won’t continue to be a Jets FAN. What for? After 25 years. It makes me sick to see stupid plays and stupid penalties and stupid decisions and stupid remarks. If you really want to be a championship Football team in the NFL, get serious, get the right players, get ready for next season long before next season, draft the right youngsters and change the image on the inside of the players. They need to start acting like winners, like Ladanian, and Nick and Brick and Revis. Mediocre results when you are expecting the glory of excellence makes people throwup. People are growing OLD here. Might as well root for the Giants. At least they play like Jets.

121. By KENO6501 on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

Been a JET from the begining and I am tired of next year mentality. Get rid of Holmes, Sanchez and shoty. We have a coach with fire lets give him some gasoline to burn. We can be a Super Bowl team with the rest of the players. Go J.E.T.S Jets-Jets-Jets

122. By Eli Rodriguez on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

Jeff Fisher–is out there Rex Ryan you’re next!

123. By 38 year fan on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

I think the loss of J Co , and Braylon did hurt ..but we have Plax who we don’t even try to use ? And how can you not take some long shots with Santonio ? LT can catch out of the flats ..We have all the weapons we need it is just POOR ,,POOR Coaching …

124. By joe on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

Rex will make Schotty the sacrifical lamb (ALWAYS WORKS THAT WAY )Wouldnt do any good.NFL is a copycat league .Once its out about a qb weakness EVERY CORD WILL DEFENCE HIM THE SAME WAY (TEBOW LAST 3 GAMES)AS posted before word around the league (amoung other GLARING INABILITYS )IS IF YOU HIT SANCHEZ HE REMEMBERS A LONG TIME- looks at the ground not down the field.LOL someone replyied BRADY does the same thing. PLEASE to compare Sanchez to Brady IS LIKE COMPARING A ROLLS TO A KIA AND SAY THERE BOTH CARS

125. By joe on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

pS i hear people say trade for Newton trade for rights to draft LUCK .If the Raiders gave up a 1 and 2 for CARSON PALMER WHAT do you think NEWTON OR LUCK is worth .Remember SANCHEZ has no trade value if he did the Jets wouldnt want to part with him.

126. By Jim Marco on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

Very dissapointed! Hate to say it but they look like the “same old jets”. It appears like we have to rebuild this team again and wait another 3 years to see if anything happens. I’ll probably be dead before they make it to a super bowl and I’m only 59!

127. By Donovan G on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

To all of you saying Wilson was a bad pick and will be a bust calm that down. Let’s realize that nickel cornerback is harder than regular cornerback. The slot receiver has more directions to go. He’s made very good plays this year. Some bad ones but at least in the offseason he tried to fix it by sticking with revis. And plus he has a lot of confidence for a young guy. Just chill with Wilson. Im tired of seeing comments about that where most people dont realize the difficulty of nickel corner. Also if it wasnt for slow linebackers he would be better. So chill out jet fans. Now ducasse is a bust.

128. By bergenjets on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

People calling out Wilson obviously didn’t watch every game. He needs to work on his tackling, but his pass coverage skills were actually pretty good. A huge improvement over last year. He and Kerley are two players I’m looking forward to seeing next year. The book still has to be written on Mo and Ellis.

129. By Danny on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

If Shotty is not fired by the end of the week I’m burning my Jets jerseys. I have been a 35yr miserable Jets fan but have never hated a coach more then Shottyyy. When the camera shows him on the sideline with his head set on I have to turn my head . I can’t look at his face

130. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

Interesting about Flynn, scjoe, but keep in mind how different Cassel looks on KC instead of NE. GaryC, I’m all for character but talent matters too. What Holmes did was wrong and I wouldn’t tolerate it but I also wouldn’t tolerate a QB as pathetic as Sanchez, an OC as pathetic as Schotty, a HC as pathetic as Rex. The fact is, we have nothing worth being overly protective of right now. I’d see how many of the younger good players we can keep, from Revis and Mangold among the vets to Kerley and Wilkerson among the new guys, and unload almost everything else in a true rebuilding plan under a HC who knows all sides of the game, has a long-term plan, and doesn’t burden his team with PR nonsense. This is an approach we’ve almost never tried.

131. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

And yes, bergenjets, Wilson was out of position on the Cruz 99-yarder but he got much better this yr and, of course, all Jet DBs must be judged in the context of our mediocre pass rush. Plus his tackling was fierce all season. Back to True Rebuilding, here’s another argument for it. After the Rex debacle, we need a yr or 2 of peace and quiet. I don’t mean we need 2 yrs of 4-12, but we really need the entire Jet story to stop being an underperforming HC who never stops with his absurd predictions, boorish behavior, and transparently ridiculous comments about weak players. Picture the Jets with Cowher at HC, Turner at OC, a new QB, and nobody on the sidelines making fools of themselves. Now tell me you wouldn’t prefer that to what we got now!

132. By JetFanOverseas on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

Sanchez may never be a great qb, but we’ll never know until we dump Schotty. Here’s a few examples to prove it. (1) First half of year, Plax gets a bunch of high end zone throws, of which he catches seven for td’s. In the last 5 or 6 games, Sanchez did not even make one attempt by my recollection. (2) Game after game, not one attempt beyond 20 yds. I don’t care if Sanchez misses every one of them, it still stretches the defense, and half the time you get a PI call. So db gives no cushion, since there’s no fear of deep pass, they crowd the running lanes so we have no long runs, play-action becomes useless, five passes a game are batted down at the line, and all the int’s are 10-yd. undercuts of route, including 7 pick-sixes. True Genius!!!

133. By DGC on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

First Coaching…Rex pays no attention to the offense..none. How can our O
    line have 2 Pro Bolwers and still be a WEAKNESS, I watch other lines control
    their opponents while we resemble a Chinese fire drill !
    Second….Shotty needs to go…take Sanchez with him, and we need to put
    some play makers on the field…both sides of the ball.
    Third….I would hire a new GM….Forth.. Bring in some top flight football minds.
    Why does NE win ? They attack a teams every weakness and they bring in
    great players not used correctly by their previous teams…smart moves.
    Last…YES wanting to win badly is a good start Rex, but if wanting was all it
    took we would all be rich…You need to bring changes…or go

134. By JetFanOverseas on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

Want a few more examples of Schotty’s brilliant offensive design? (1) Not a single end-around all year by my recollection went for more than 5 or 6 yards. (2) Three-four weeks ago, we finally get a few good screen plays off. Next week in Philly, the “great” Philly DC who everyone hates has them recognize every screen pass for zero gain or a loss. (3) Every time a defensive line coach ran a few stunts, like in Philly, our offensive line is at a total loss and guys come thru clean on play after play. (4) Kerley throws a spectacular 42-yd. pass to slow-footed Mulligan on his first attempt of the year. In week 17. Can anyone explain why it took that long. They surely saw in practice that the kid can throw! (5) -(25) etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

135. By joe on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

As far as SANTANIO IF WE HAD A QB EVERYTHING WOULD BE DIFFERENT AS THE MAN HAS TALENT The above being said the PITTSBURGH STEELERS probably have the best player personal dept in the NFL.(they almost NEVER MISS ON A DRAFT CHOICE )For Colbert to let him go for only a 5th tells us alot.Maybe we didnt steal him LOL Pitts (THE MOST SUCCESSFUL TEAM IN THE NFL DURING THE SB ERA)GETS RID OF HIM because of all his problems REX MAKES HIM A CAPT SAME OLD JETS.

136. By Ray on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

Good one GaryC, you win with Character? Vinny, Curtis and Chad were three of the classiest guys ever… how many SBs did they get us? How classy were the 2000 Ravens, the Raiders teams that won, the Steelers (Harrison, Holmes and Big Ben) there are some really classy guys who won the big one. TALENT and COACHING, without either of those you can have all the choirboys you want.

137. By joe on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

REX SAid HE DIDNT REALIZE SANTANIO WASNT IN THE GAME ON THE LAST SERIES ( .Rex with your season on the line how do you not realize your best offencive player isnt in the game )Either hes lying or incapable SOMETHING WRONG EITHER WAY

138. By scjoe on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

64, Cassel did take KC to the playoffs last year, and they did miss them this year without him, so you never know. Besides, I am extremely confident that Flynn would be a much better option then what we have now. As for the HC job? Give me Rex (with out all the blabber) over Cowher any day, just give me a QB, a RT, and a pass rusher and I will take my chances with that.

139. By joe on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

To further illustrate ITS ALL IN THE QB the NFL most valuable player award (GIVEN BY THE AP )SINCE THE YEAR 2000 EIGHT OF THE TEN TIMES has been given to a qb (other 2 to a rb )No SPICER SANCHEZ DIDNT QUITE MAKE IT THIS YEAR.

140. By joe on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

SC JOE i got to tell you your post TITANTIC ANALOGY is exactly correct as NUMERIOUS ex players have expressed the same thing to me ..Coaches under fire always use the cord as the sacrifical lamb (.LOL it looks like there doing something because in no way are they going to the owner to tell him they wasted 50 million of his money and 5 years of time on a poor qb )Alot of people on this site dont realize a coach ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY CAN NOT GIVE ANY PLAYER QUALITYS HE DOESNT HAVE ,.I believe you personally must have done some coaching yourself to say this.

141. By joe on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

As in regard to KYLE WILSON guys if look at teams that are great year after year they do so thru the draft You got a first round pick like WILSON being an adequate 3rd courner in the slot is no where near good enough as he should be knocking on the pro bowl rosters door .He was a first rounder.The bar is set so low around here .lOOK AT THE STEELERS (for instance) NOT ONLY do thy rarely if ever miss on a first rounder they get pro bowlers like WALLACE WARD w in the 3rd round and sign undrafted free agents like Harrison who might make the hall

142. By BillsJets on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

Has everyone taken a look at next years schedule. Even if we kept the same team as this year and practiced harder, the worst case scenerio would be the “Jets should finish at least 12-4, but then again taking everything into consideration knowing the Jets history I could see us going 10-6, but if we do worse than 10-6, the whole team should be traded next year, but I do feel that the biggest disappointment this year was our General Manager, I could do better.

143. By GaryC on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

here is something for jet fans to munch on, watching some college games today and the name Tom Clements,the old notre dame qb comes up as a possible college coach, but now he is the green bay quarterbacks coach and the people who now want Flynn how about that as a daily double;I still would stick with sanchez with a new coordinator.

144. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

Like one guy said on the ESPN site, GaryC, I kinda hope Mr T and Rex really mean what they say about Sanchez and Schotty and that Schotty doesn’t get a HC job. In that case, I predict next yr McElroy outplays MS in the summer but MS gets the start; MS completely screws up and with the team hovering at about 2-8 Mc takes over as starter but it’s too late in the yr for him to really get into a rhythm; the team finishes about 6-10, with all kinds of “bright spots” cited even though we don’t know who the QB is; and then the whip comes down and Mr. T, Rex, Schotty, and Sanchez are all gone, with the rebuilding that should start now starting in 2013. Can’t say I’d mind if it all played out that way, though I’d rather make the same moves now…

145. By scjoe on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

Joe, I did do some coaching at the youth level in the 80s. I like to believe I know the game pretty well, but some on this site classify me as a “Sanchez hater” My answer to that is, I am a NY Jets lover. I don’t hate any Jet player. I just want to see that Lombardi trophy in the Jets possession before my time is up. That is all.
    Ray, agree with your analogy on “high character guys” as opposed to the no character guys. To me, it really don’t matter, I just want winners, good guys or bad guys.

146. By Howie D on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

BILL JETS and everyone who’s already making predictions based on next season’s schedule, I say relax. It’s way too early to even contemplate that. Nobody knows at this point. The only thing we know for sure is that the Jets is an 8-8 team. That’s a fact! Until we prove otherwise that’s what we are, nothing more, nothing less.

147. By tommyohio on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

karan sounds like you need a new team?

148. By Rich on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

OK JOE if that is so true please explain Drew brees 3 years with BS he was aweful even got benched. So like you said its all the QB. Wow is it still Drews fault these days. People it has alot to do with the system, coaches and players around you. Look at Flynn yesterday perfect example he is with a great system, playes and coaches. Put Flynn on the Jets with the game plan we have now he would be no better then MS. Another example Cassel when he was with New england had awesome year in a great sytem, players and coaches. What is cassel doing these days? It’s tough to be a QB in the jets system when all you do is run or dink and dunk. Every game 8 sometimes 9 guys in the box. No QB can excel in that system. TIME FOR CHANGE!!

149. By Rich on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

JOE: Didn’t mean to make it sound like I was attacking you.. Just had it with BS system and O. I do agree with you on how the heck REX didn’t know SH wasn’t in the game.. TIME FOR CHANGE!!!

150. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Oh Blinka the Great, if I may address thee: I agree with you about the draft and impact players. Lots of other teams seem to know how to get and develop such guys. Since I was rooting for the team well before you were on it — as you may have been, too — I maintain that there’s been a nervousness about working in draft picks on the Jets that goes all the way back to the Carl McAdams and Lee White disappointments, which is the wrong lesson to learn. The lesson to learn is that you should draft a lot, draft aggressively, and work players in and out as if you actually like doing it. It’s too early to give up on Wilson and Ducasse but it’s getting to be crunch time for Sanchez, especially since QB is now more important than ever in the NFL.

151. By GaryC on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

To Ray, yeah those raider teams also had marcus allen, jim plunkett and were coached by Tom Flores,one of the classiest guys ever on a sideline.Look you might of won a long time ago with characters, that was because they had one goal in mine, today, there are so many different agendas for these players they are pulling in different directions unless you have a strong leader.

152. By GaryC on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

nice bringing up Lee white,jet fan tom,weber state alum, back then I think they called it the big sky conference,Him and Roger Vick, two of the bigger disappointments in Jet history,I believe the jets were always looking for the second coming of john riggins when they drafted these two.

153. By cgb on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

STAN BLINKA, I liked you when you played linebacker for the jets your not a loser and either are the jets. Your right about the bad moves on player personel woody J. needs to take a good look at the way we structure the decision making on free agency,draft picks, and how and who gets to make the final decisions . jet fan tom 64, wouln’t mind cleaning house again if we could get the right people in place. Lets be real though that will never happen.

154. By DGC on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

I was just able to bring myself to listen to the Rex and Mike T press conference. We, the fans posting here, are CRAZY if we think these guys
    get it. i.e. Shotty should be a headcoach, we want him here, hes done a great
    job developing players etc. My advice to Woody lose all 3 starting with MR T
    Let Westy take over and put a new look and attitude to this team. Keep Rex as
    head man on the D, liike when they made Captain Kirk and Admiral only to
    demote him to where he was best suited, let Rex be head man on D. Once
    you get a guy that can evaluate talent and a head coach who knows what
    everyone is doing, the team will move forward. Someone must face the fact
    that we feel on our faces….AND OWN THAT AS TRUTH !

155. By joe on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Rich Brees was injured when he played at SD and required surgery.Flynn =1 great game dont make a qb.I assure you TALENT not the system makes a NFL QB.It DOESNT WORK LIKE many think it does(ABSOLUTELY not the local HS).DID YOU EVER HEAR THE SAYING YOU CANT COACH SIZE AND SPEED Rich believe it or not there are certain talents the GREAT QB have that cant be taught .

156. By joe on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

ps Rich oc HC design THEIR SYSTEMS AROUND the ability of their QB .They dont place a qb in a system THAT IS OUTSIDE THEIR REALM OF CAPABILITY.(WHEN WE PLAYED Giants YOU HEARD REX SAY WERE NOT BUILT TO THROW 6ox in other words SANCHEZ is not capable.)The talent of a BREES ROGERS BRADY ROTHESBURGER ENABLES the system DEFINATELY NOT VISE VERSA

157. By Row on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Are you kidding me? Holmes didn’t drop a pass or fumble. Wasn’t targeted.Usually when a superbowl MVP and a pro bowl player voices his opinion, he has a point. It’s time to get the 40 million dollar WR a 40 million dollar QB. Time to dump the Sanchez project and find a winner. Sanchez was second in the league in turnovers at QB with 26. The truth is; everyone is pointing the finger at the ‘me’ players, but no one realizes the O has no swagger with Sanchez. No arrogant ‘run over a defense’ confidence. I wanna see that next year. Release Sanchez. Find the swagger. Go Jets

158. By joe on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

ROW Santontios METHOD of communication WAS WRONG but factually HE IS CORRECT. The reason he wasnt targeted was because of SANCHEZS INABILITY TO THROW ANYTHING BUT SLANT IN AND CHECKDOWNS.Funny BIG BEN never had a problem finding him.

159. By Tom Spicer on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

Joe, LOL Brees was on the Chargers for 5 years he got hurt in the last gane of the regular season in his 5th year. It was vs Denver WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

160. By Tom Spicer on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

Joe, Mark does not have the ability to throw deep but last year he had 5 over 40 yard bombs to Bralyon Edwards alone IN THAT ONE YEAR! Did he forget how to throw deep or did he not have the line to give him time & the players around him with the speed to beat guys deep. The 1 guy they had Holmes was bracketed with saftey help over the top to take away the deep routes for him. No one else on the team has the speed to beat guys deep. I would think that you watch the games enough to know this.

161. By joe on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

Spicer tell your nonsence to someone else .HE HAS THE ABILITY BUT ONLY MAKES 30 THROWS OF 30 YARS ALL YEAR .THATS 3 GAMES WORTH OF Rothesburger to Wallace

162. By Harvard prof on Jan 5, 2012 | Reply

LOL at the Sanchez defenders… Mark is a nice Kid, but he lacks the toughness and good insticts to be a good QB in the NFL.. can he win a superbowl? Sure, If Tim Tebow can win with a good running game and defense, Then so can Any QB. Look at the Ravens, They make it to the pkayoffs every year with Flacco.But lets get real foilks… Cam, Eli, Peyton, Big Ben, BREEZE, Brady, Stamford, Luck, RG3, Vick, Romo, Rogers, Are all QBs that can destroy any defense, Or put up enough points to beat a team run by a average QB like Sanchez. Its also impossible for Sanchez to beat a team with a good defense. Folks Tom Brady said he was laughing at watching the Jets Implode and he loved beating us Twice this year… Im trying not to cry…

163. By Tom Spicer on Jan 5, 2012 | Reply

Joe, So Big Ben throws 10 passes per game to Wallace all over 30 yards REALLY? He must have had 20,000 yards this year!

164. By joe on Jan 5, 2012 | Reply

Spicer READ THRU WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING HERE. SPICER your boy SANCHEZ is one of the worst ranked qbs in the NFL and your on here trying to pull the wool over our eyes .Spicer the last game he thru not 1 but 2 interceptions TO INTERIOR D LINEMAN ON CHECKDOWN PLAYS ARE YOU KIDDING ME

165. By joe on Jan 5, 2012 | Reply

Harvard Prof GREAT POINTS .The powers to be (Jets)also know theres problems with this kid(SANCHEZ ).UNFORTUNATELY BECAUSE OF THE MONEY, TIME (NOT TO MENTION EMBARRASSMENT IN SELECTING HIM WITH THE 5TH PICK )i think were stuck with him for at least another year.Sooner or later he will wind up somewhere as a backup (which he is totally capable of )

166. By BrianR on Jan 5, 2012 | Reply

At times, Sanchez has thrown some things of beauty to Holmes and Burris who made great catches. Too often, he throws into traffic or seems blind to safeties and the like. He might benefit from some kind of training (like martial arts) where you SEE the WHOLE field and FEEL the changes around you so he can be more effective. That is, it seems to me that he only sees in a narrow zone and needs to be trained in letting his mind see the whole field. It is a little like counting w/your eyes instead of piece by piece… something I saw in a MA movie and IT WORKS… just take some time to hone the skill.

167. By Gabriel on Jan 6, 2012 | Reply

Bottom Line is: Sanchez needs to improve next season or he is done with the jets. We need great Draft picks by our Owner,Gm, Coach, and scouting department. All of our players need to improve yes even our practice squad. We need to reach and win the super bowl next year in order to prove we talk the talk and walk the walk come on jets I believe in you! Go Jets!

168. By Gabriel on Jan 6, 2012 | Reply

Harvad Prof, Lacks Toughness?? are you kidding me this Kid is tough as nails he may bend but not break, have you seen the hits hsi taken this year?? you can question is decision making and accuracy but dont question is calmness in handling the media and toughness in tacking vicious hits(denver, mami, etc) His very tough, his one of the toughest qbs here since joe namath. I do agree with you he needs to improve and take a leadership role in the offense though which im hoping will happen

169. By joe on Jan 6, 2012 | Reply

Gabriel THE BOOK ON SANCHEZ is if you hit him hard he remembers it for a long time as for quarters later if rushed he looks at the ground INSTEAD OF DOWN THE FIELD .

170. By Tom Spicer on Jan 8, 2012 | Reply

Joe, The book on Sanchez is when he gets hit hard he does not look down the field. LOL thats funny the guy has 12 4th quarter comebacks in 3 years. Does it bother you that I constantly prove you wrong.

171. By jets guy on Jan 8, 2012 | Reply

Been a long time Jets fan since Namath days. Just want to say I do not blame Holmes for acting the way he did. Very poor play calling by offesive coordinator the entire season. I don’t think he had one pass thrown to him down field in the most important game of season. Live in Los aangeles now and saw Sanches play at SC. The kid has an arm they never use. Granted he does need some work but if they had someone who could run an offense things could hsve been different. so lets not blame Holmes or Sanches, get rid of Shottenheimer.

172. By joe on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

HELLO EARTH TO SPICER 12 4th quarter comebacks wow .Sanchez is rated ONE OF THE WORST QBS IN FOOTBALL in all actuality NO ONE CARES ABOUT THE COMEBACKS BUT YOU SPICER.lol The last game HE PLAYED HE HAD completitions to oposing teams interior defencive lineman than he did to his own wide reciever (who happens to be a SB MVP )