• Sun., May. 04, 2014 7:30PM - 8:00PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Thu., May. 08, 2014 12:00AM - 12:30AM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Thu., May. 08, 2014 2:00PM - 3:00PM EDT Live Jets Talk LIVE Draft Show Prior to 1st RD of NFL Draft
  • Thu., May. 08, 2014 6:30PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

• Sun., Jun. 08, 2014 7:30PM - 8:00PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sun., Jun. 15, 2014 7:00PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

McKnight, Kerley Made Versatile Impacts in ’11

Posted by Randy Lange on January 3, 2012 – 3:46 pm

Joe McKnight revealed a great attitude about his role, his playing time and his pro career this season, and the NFL’s leading kickoff returner is taking that with him into this postseason, during which he’s hoping to play in one more game.

“I’m going to be in New Jersey now and I’m going to still work out,” McKnight said Monday as he and his teammates were packing up and moving out after the end of their season the day before. “I’m the first alternate to the Pro Bowl and I want to be ready in case they call me to play in the game.”

McKnight was the fans’ choice for the AFC’s kick returner in the Jan. 29 Pro Bowl in Hawaii, but that accounts for only 33 percent of the all-star voting. When the players’ and coaches’ votes were factored in, McKnight came up No. 2 behind the Steelers’ Antonio Brown, the Steelers’ regular kickoff and punt man.

Still, Joe’s showing in his first year as the Jets’ kickoff returner was sparkling. On his 34 returns, he averaged 31.6 yards, almost a full four yards better than the No. 2 man, Packers rookie Randall Cobb.

In fact, McKnight’s 31.6 is the most by a qualifying returner in the NFL in a long time. Ron Brown packed a 32.8 with three TDs for the 1985 Rams. And McKnight also becomes the fourth Jet to lead the league in KOR average, along with Justin Miller (28.3 in 2006), Ron Carpenter (27.7 in ’95) and Bobby Humphery (30.7 in ’84).

McKnight didn’t finish as strongly as he wanted. Problem No. 1 was that his fast start — returns of 50, a franchise-long 107 and 88 during that three-loss road trip in September-October — alerted opposing cover teams to his prowess.

Then came a series of physical mishaps — a dislocated finger, a knee, a toe, an elbow at Washington and a shoulder at Philadelphia. Mixed in among that were the muffed punt against New England and the fumbled kickoff at Denver.

“I think I left a couple of yards on the field,” he evaluated himself. “I got a little heavy this year, put too much weight on. I want to make sure I say in tune with everything, running, catching. I muffed a few kicks and I want to work on that. I feel like I can do more.”

He said he’s continuing treatments for his elbow and shoulder but that he won’t need any procedures done.

McKnight said he’d hate to lose one of his guiding lights on this Jets team if LaDainian Tomlinson moves on to another team or into his post-football career.

“I would love to see LT the rest of my years playing football,” he said. “I’m always going to be talking to him, keeping in contact with him. He’s basically been my mentor since I’ve been here.

“But I know this is a business. If LT’s not back, I’m the next one in line. Ad if he is, I’ve still got to do my job.”

Kerley’s Big Game

Jeremy Kerley’s 41-yard bull’s-eye completion to Matt Mulligan out of the Wildcat//Seminole/Mizzou/Texas formation in the first quarter of the Miami game was the second-longest by a non-quarterback in Jets franchise history.

The longest came in the 2009 AFC Championship Game in Lucas Oil Stadium when Brad Smith came onto the field, Mark Sanchez went off for just that play, and Smith, out of the shotgun, cranked up his 45-yard completion to Jerricho Cotchery against the Colts.

Smith that year, like Kerley this year, was listed by the Jets as a wide receiver. One could argue that Smith was more QB than WR from his four years under center at Missouri, but on the other hand, even though he got a good amount of exposure as the quarterback running the ‘Cat, I remember only one game where he got more than two plays in a row as “the man,” in the slushbowl game at New England in 2007. And that was only for a couple of series.

One thing is certain: Kerley, in the final game of his rookie season, turned in one of the most versatile performances by a Jet, along the lines of Smith and Leon Washington. Kerley had a 16-yard run, 71 yards on four receptions, the 41-yard completion and 26 yards on two punt returns. That’s 154 yards of offensive plus return yardage (it’s more than all-purpose yardage, which doesn’t include passing yardage, and more than total offense, which includes passing yardage but not returns).

The 154 yards are the most ever in a game by a player with at least one rush, reception, completion and punt return in Jets franchise history.

Tags: , , , , ,

113 Responses to “McKnight, Kerley Made Versatile Impacts in ’11”

1. By kk on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Going with youth and draft picks is the way to g, they have enouGh vets that should I say should be able to provide the leadeership needed. They might have to bite the bullet on a few of these mistakes and move on. One thing is for certain and hopefully they learned the hard way you need good chemistry in this league. It’s obvious something was missing this year they never really played a complete game all year.
    Revis needs to be the man, he’s a class act and it’s his time to take over and when guys like Tone act out he’s got to be the one to call them out.
    We have some extra picks this year, let’s hope we have a great draft and get the right personnel in here. One final thought I’d love to have Braylon back.

2. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

The difference is Kerley’s throw to Mulligan was a bullet and Smith’s barely got to J-Co, who had to practically stop and wait for it when if it had led him it woulda been a TD. Yup, McKnight and Kerley, two of the best young players we got — and the two that Rex had the least insight into, the least respect for, the least idea of what to do with…

3. By Jersey Joe on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Yeah, I’m surprised and pleased with the development of these two – its the other 51 players on the active roster I’m concerned about – seems like many regressed in 2011. Jets desperately need more explosive players on offense and defense – I have to wonder if this teams brain-trust is making good decisions. The running game looked great in 09 – Jets said ” Lets get rid of these bums (Faneca, Jones, Washington) Pass defense looked amazing in 2010 playoff game @NE – Jets response ” Dump these guys that made all the impact plays like Lowery, Ihedigbo, Coleman” Jets Passing was STARTING to look good with Edwards and Cotchery – BANG ,, gone in 2011 – I don’t get it ?

4. By Another Tom on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Kerley had a great rookie year..progressed nicely and will make us forget about Cotchery. We can only dream about Mcknight evolving into an LT..We have many needs, including overall team speed..We can plug some holes with Free Agents [ If any are interested in joining this circus], but it looks like We will have to rely on our expert talent evalulators to have a near perfect draft [ YIKES !]

5. By Fan since 66 on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Dont forget Damien Woody. I thing part of the blame is on Mr. T he also needs to evaluate his strategy , you have to seed in order to harvest

6. By Frank on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

I haven’t even started yet on Sanchez…Kerley made the best throw of the entire season on that pass to Mulligan…tight spiral and an absolute rope to him on the run. McKnight really stepped up this year after the disastrous first year he deserves all the credit in the world. Isn’t it funny Leonhard goes down with the knee the day Rex demoted Kerley to the bench and what does Kerley do he comes in and nails it the rest of the season. I posted then that Rex was making a big mistake and it was!!!!! Kerley is one of the hardest working guys on the field and one of the bright spots but Rex decides he needs to ride the bench something HOLMES SHOULD HAVE DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!! But no Rex couldn’t do that Holmes was one of his annointments!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. By Frank on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Oh boy…just almost tossed my coffee…was catching up on news stories and noticed TanWoody saying Sanchez will be the starter next year….his body of work proves it. Sanchez and his 26 TD’s and 3500 yards remind me of Kevin McReynolds when he played for the Mets. At the end of the year the guy would wind up with 25-30 HR’s and 100 RBI’s and you would scratch your head and say How did that happen?
    He is a great kid, great work ethic but definitely not elite or a franchize QB he is a game manager period end of story and the team needs to look else where. Matt Flynn in two starts vs the Pats and the Lions both elite teams at the time he played them has thrown for 9 TD’s in those two games as a UFA TanWoody needs to explore this possibility

8. By Jersey Rich on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

I am actually glad our season is over.. I am with the majority of posters who feel we wouldn’t have gone far in the playoffs. At least we are spared another painful watching experience for a while. I am in complete agreement that Tone has to go as well as Mulligan. What was the attraction with Mulligan anyway, seems to not add much to our needs. And by the way – SOMEBODY tell Dan Dierdorf that it is Mauga NOT Monga!
    Hope some GOOD things happen for the Jets Nation in the next few months. HAPPY 2012!

9. By Randy Lange on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Actually, Jersey Rich, it is pronounced “Monga,” or something close to that. The g represents a glottal stop in Samoan, pronounced more like the g in “sing” rather than the hard g in “go.” That’s how Mauga says his name is pronounced. It just took us a while to get the right pronunciation.

10. By joe on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Jet fan since 64 TOM LOL you know your in trouble WHEN YOUR ROOKIE WR throws a better ball than your 50 million dollar qb.

11. By Karan on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

DeSean Jackson, Braylon Edwards and Jeremy Kerley, these are the guys that should start next season. I hope all goes through like this.

12. By Karan on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

As good as Holmes is, I don’t even want him back, what a drama queen. I do admit though, he’s does not like Schottenheimer, as neither do I. He wants the ball, so that’s why it just won’t work out. Heard Rex on the radio today loll, this guy does NOT want Schottenheimer to return, you can just tell in his voice. Tannenbaum is the only one holding Schottenheimer back right now. All we can do is hope that the Jaguars give him a head coaching job, something, anything! Just get the man out of New York.

13. By Another Tom on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

It was apparent throughout the year that most players had lost faith in coaching and in Sanchez..thats the major reason the season unraveled..and yet We should have beaten Denver and Miami and made the playoffs. Not sure how Patrick Turner fits in but it seems like He caught everthing thrown His way and it was nice to see Him get a TD catch..Holmes tried to make others look bad and that back fired on Him. We should have some leverage with MS contract..given His “performance” this year

14. By scjoe on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

I will say they are a couple of keepers, I especially like Kerley. I though he was way underused.With the attention given to Holmes, Keller and Plax. Kerely should have been able to cash in, but of course that didn’t happen, but don’t blame Kerely. As for the rest of the roster? Among my “keepers” Mangold, Brick, Revis, Harris, Moore, Wilkerson, Pouha ,Maybin and maybe Wilson, Westerman and Ropati running up the rears. I might add McElroy and Cumberland from IR. The rest?? You do the evaluations. I know you can’t cut them all, but there sure is a lot to choose from.

15. By Charliejet on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Well I guess they are NOT the same ole’ Jets after all.

16. By Charliejet on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

This kid (Sanchez) was a real “diamond in the rough” looks like Pete Carroll may have been right about waiting another year before declaring himself Sanchez may well be kicking himself in the but.

17. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

I disagree about Leon and TJ, Jersey Joe, but I agree with everything else you say and the general pattern that you’ve put your finger on.

18. By 1986 on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

I HAVE ALOT OF LOVE FOR REX RYAN AN THE JOB HE HAS DONE AS A COACH . SINCE HE HAS BECOME OUR COACH WE HAVE MADE IT TO THE PLAYOFFS TWO OUT OF THREE SEASONS I DONT CARE IF HE WAS CRYING OR NOT FOOTBALL IS A EMONTIONALY GAME HE EXSPECTS TO WIN EVERY YEAR. MY PROBLEM IS WITH MR.T AN OUR SCOUTS .KERLEY AN MCKNIGHT ARE GOOD PLAYERS BUT NOT THE IMPACT WE NEED TO GET TO THE NEXT LEVEL THEY BOTH HAD FUMBLE ISSUES THIS YEAR THAT COST US GAMES. WHAT NOW KERLEY IS A NUMBER ONE WIDEOUT LOL AN MCKNIGHT OUR TOP RUNNING NEXT YEAR. I FEEL BOTH THOSE PLAYERS ARE SPECIAL TEAMERS OR THIRD AN LONG PLAYERS NOT IMPACT DRAFT PLAYERS . GET SOME IMPACT PLAYERS ON BOTH SIDES OF THE BALL PLEASE

19. By sal on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

what i would like to hrar is Rex hoping shotty gets a head coaching job in the Afc, so maybe there is someone he may be able to out coach!

20. By Jetsman on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Guys, this stuff with Cotch getting cut has to stop. He requested a release because he didn’t want to be the #3 WR anymore. Please don’t act like the Jets wanted to cut him, because they would have kept him otherwise really.

21. By Karan on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Mike Martz is available, Josh McDaniels is available. What surprises me is that Schottenheimer still has not be been released. Stop playing Mr. Nice Guy, front office!

22. By Karan on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

We can always trade Santonio Holmes for DeSean Jackson right? I mean, if we both get rid of our respective headaches, both teams will be happy. Both guys are dynamite players.

23. By Karan on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

It would be awesome to have Edwards back. I like Plax but the guy is going to be 35, we need a younger dude, and who better than Edwards. Mark and him had great chemistry.

24. By bestjets on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

where are all the reporters for this been, we now find out tone is not even on speaking terms with sanchez this team ends up being on the level of a walton/kotite coached dysfunctional nightmare, woody better step up because we find out now we have a team that doesnt even give itself a chance to win maybe its cower or polian time or a real move away from this group
    arent any of you guys watching and relaying the truth about the real state of the team and not just filling everybody up with useless statistics when you have guys not even trying to get better and coaches that are either oblivious or dont care maybe whole situation including workspace is too cushy doesnt any one answer to anyone again woody step up please

25. By Howie D on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

Dear Mr. Johnson: I’m generally against hiring recycled journeymen coaches, but apparently Mr. Mike Martz is now available and I’m urging you to act quickly and acquire him as our next OC. Without a doubt he will be an instant improvemnent over Mr. Schottenheimer, He’s a proven Superbowl winner and an offensive wizz who will immediately return us to Superbowl contention. Please immediately let Mr. Schottemheimer go and grab Mr. Martz before someone else does. I guarantee you that the Jets will be much better off with this move. Thanks for your consideration.

26. By Howie D on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

It’s obvious that the Jets are not being objectively managed. There are subjective considerations that’s hindering this team from moving in a positive direction. Whether it’s friendship or favoritism, something is holding us back. I’m asking ownership and management to adopt a honest approach and face the music. Make the moves that you know are proper. Go with your head and not your heart. If you’re ignorant, seek assistance or listen to the fans, who believe it or not, are more knowledgeable. Money, power and autonomy dosen’t
    equate to expertise. If you guys were true experts we would have won multiple Superbowls already. Humble yourselves and do what’s right for the team and the fans.

27. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

The first and best boss I ever had told me as you move up in business, you make fewer decisions until you get to the pt at which you may only make 1a yr but it’s huge. Clearly Rex hasn’t had such a boss. Because he wasn’t able to make a decision on Schotty when necessary, he messed up Sanchez. Now it looks like he won’t be able to make a decision on Holmes and will mess up MS further, who in turn will keep messing up the entire O. I don’t see why anyone other than the most casual fan, the kind who watches football the way others watch “American Idol” or “…the Kardashians,” thinks Rex is a good HC. Talking loud while failing to get the best out of his team is his most distinguishing characteristic. And at this pt the whole league sees it.

28. By IRA on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

Go back to the summer and you could see Kerley was going to be a player. They should’ve got him more involved earlier in the year instead of wasting time with D. Mason. Kerley is one of the few bright spots along with Wilkerson and Baker in a very disappointing season. I know things aren’t looking very good right now. But they will right the ship or should i say Jet.
    GO JETS!!!!!

29. By Frank on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

All the evidence has become abundantly clear the last few days that Rex has completely lost this team. The way the players acted upon exiting the season from Bart Scott to Revis there were a lot of angry players. Couple that with some anonymous players saying it’s a “zoo” in there. Former player Cotchery a high character guy wanting out…its clear there is a culture of resentment and poison floating in that locker room.
    Rex has shown he has no clue how to manage he thinks he can will a bunch of malcontents to win by bloviating and cleary that is impossible. Annointing captains instead of letting the players choose just proves his ego is out of control and not having a pulse on his players as those moves clearly rankled the many of them!

30. By Frank on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

Can you imaging Belichick, Payton, McCarthy or any other elite coach not having a pulse of their team? Not knowing your best clutch receiver is on the bench or fighting during the week with the QB before a monumental football game?
    You think jamming Sanchez down all our throats to prove he is “elite” at the expense of the team is good management skills? How do you think LT and Greene feel when first and goal inside the 5 they have Sanchez running it in and taking away their opportunities?
    I am telling you if Rex stays this team is doomed he is not a leader and a skilled coach and manager of men instead he is a champion bloviator who has alienated almost everyone inside and outside of the locker room.

31. By Viveca on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

Rex has to stop acting like a def. coordinator and be the HC. He can’t be everybody’s buddy, and must make the tough decisions.
    About Holmes-did he even show any regrets? Maybe we’ve to bite the bullet and release him. His terrible attidude, can ruin next season too! Does he even want to be a Jet?

32. By wayne on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

Frank, I don’t often agree with you, but when Kerley threw that bullet, I had the same thought. That was the best throw made by a Jets QB all year. In fact my exact words were; By Job, me thinks the Jets have located their QB……………………Get GQ WRs who will listen and follow him………………..Rex chickened out when it came time to make the tough call on Holmes…………..He thinks his tears will make them put out more for him. These players lose a little more respect for him with each day Holmes is not straightened out………If Holmes comes back, they better be winning with that weak schedule or it will get real interesting. Can’t feel any worse about this coach than I already do……………………………MAN UP.

33. By Frank on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

Woody step up to the plate! Realize you went from one extreme Mangini to the next with Ryan. Bring a quality guy in here and you can start by looking at Joe Philbin the OC for the Packers. He is an offensive guru and high character guy since 2007 as the OC he has coached Favre, Rogers and Flynn all have been extremely successful playing for him. During his tenure the packers have dominated the league in offense combining a running game with a great passing game. Bring him over with Flynn and send Rex packing and let Flynn and Sanchez battle it out. THE STATUS QUO WILL NOT WORK!!!!!!!!!!

34. By JetStorm on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

I gotta vent. I went to the Miami game and I must say; I have never been more discuraged. This team is a mess and it looks like next year will be more of the same. No constructive changes on the way, so what can we expect. I have been a Jet fan for 42 years. I was hoping that the Jets would make it to the big game before I die, but it seems I will run out of years way before the Jets do. So, I am ready to cut my loses and say good bye. Need to find something better to do with my time and money. Ira, I enjoyed your posts the most, but I feel Frank and 64 Tom are most right. With a heavy heart I must say good-bye.

35. By mikeventi on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

This is all ridiculous. Did the team underachieve? Yes. Are there some personnel decisions that have to be made? Yes. Does the overall talent and age on the Jets need to improve? Yes. The fact that Jets fans want Rex Ryan and Mark Sanchez gone…. is completely irrational. As if the Jets are an historically great team, with multiple Super Bowls and these two, along with Tannenbaum, are just bringing the franchise down. They are the winningest coach and quarterback, respectively, that the Jets have ever had. Two AFC championship games in their first two years… followed by an 8-8 season, not a losing season. Everyone has hiccups… I trust that they’ll both get better.

36. By GaryC on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

thank you Ira, I said that about Kerley when stone mason was here,that he wasn’t getting the reps,another one of ryans cronies from Baltimore.

37. By mikeventi on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

These knee-jerk reactions that some of you are calling for, are the kind of moves that bad teams make…. revolving door at key spots. It’s been the best 3 years I’ve had, as a Jets fan since ’82-’83…. and I see it getting better. BB needed time to become a good head coach… did everyone forget Cleveland? Oh, and by the way, he hasn’t won a damn thing, since they were caught cheating. Enough with the Patriots envy. To dismiss what the Jets have done, since Ryan and Sanchez got to NY, is absolutely foolish… and, unfortunately, exactly what I’ve come to expect from the majority of Jets fans. Woody, Jones, Wahington, Cotchery, Faneca, Edwards, Coleman, Lowery….. what were their numbers like, this year? Fans DON’T know better.

38. By cgb on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

I hope all this talk about rex not having the pulse of the team ,and losing the locker room is put in perspective. The disconect between SHOTTY, SANCHEZ AND HOLMES is really only a side note for the main reason the jets failed so badly this year. It really starts with tanny assembling this flawed team from the begining. This must not be overlooked. If every issue is addresed and woody lets tanny slide on this the jets will always fall short of their destination. Tanny makes just enough good moves to pull a magic trick and fool woody into believing he is the man for the job! But his he? There are plenty of talented evaluators on jets staff that are probably biting their tongue avery time Mr T. makes a move on player personel.

39. By russ on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

Listening to Met fans hot stove league is the same as Jets talk…absurd choices blamingcoaches and quick fixes are always popular…NO Pass Rush means losing….NO Pass protection means losing…fix those and every thing else is gravy….

40. By Tom Spicer on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

I got this from a website I read “One teammate told the New York Daily News that he “doesn’t see how” Santonio Holmes can come back to the Jets in 2012 after quitting on the team in Week 17.Asked if that was the majority opinion in the locker room, the undisclosed veteran said, “Yes.” One player called Holmes a “cancer,” and several others maintain that he and Mark Sanchez are “not personally compatible.” Holmes blew off a meeting with Sanchez after giving the QB a hard time the previous day. Per ESPN New York, when Holmes moped into the huddle last week, RT Wayne Hunter yelled, “If you don’t f—— want to play get your a– the f— out!” Coach Rex Ryan and GM Mike Tannenbaum suggested in separate radio interviews Tuesday that Holmes’

41. By Tom Spicer on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

attitude needs to be addressed” I dont care how talented he is we need to get rid off him.

42. By Tom Spicer on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

Frank, I agree 100% there has to be a MAJOR change the status quoue will not work. Either Rex has to go, Mark has to go or Schotty & Holmes have to go. At least 1 of these 3 has to be gone next year on this team will only get worse.

43. By IRA on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

gary, I think they didn’t want to put too much on Kerley’s plate early. Not an excuse but i believe its true. Funny thing is early on in camp he had the best chemistry with sanchez while Holmes, Plax and Mason had to wait until they were allowed to practice because of the lockout and CBA rules.
    This is not meant to be a negative approach but reality is they need 2 safeties, CB, 2 LB’s, 1 or probably 2 starting WR’s, blocking TE, 1 or 2 OL starters, a RB and b/u QB. That is a lot or work to be done in one offseason. Free agency will be so important leading up to the draft this year. They really had a good run going back to 08. Now its time to [hate to say it] rebuild.

44. By Tom Spicer on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

Since according to Joe you can only win the Super Bowl with an elite QB. Your O line does not matter, your D does not matter & your WRS do not matter. Anyone can go out & beat the Ravens as long as Rodgers is throwing to them. Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson, James Jones, Donald Driver & Jemicheal Finley are not going to play next week. Me, IRA, TOM 64, SCJoe & Frank will be catching the passes from Rodgers. We can beat anyone as long as Rodgers is throwing the ball.

45. By Tom Spicer on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

ALERT ALERT: NEWS FLASH! The NFL has called the Ravens, 49ers, Broncos, Falcons, Lions, Texans & Bengals & canceled all of there games. They were told since they do not have a elite QB they has no shot of winning the Super Bowl SO WHY BOTHER! There will only be 2 games the Saints will play the Packers & the Pats will play the Steelers. All other games are not going to happen SORRY GUYS! Joe said you HAVE to have a elite QB or you can NOT 100% no chance of winning the Super Bowl everything he says is right he is the football GURU LOL.

46. By harry-o on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

2009- mediocre QB on a good team = 11 wins + playoffs
    2010- mediocre QB on a good team =12 wins + playoffs
    2011- mediocre QB on a mediocre team = 8 wins +season ending 3 game skid
    the whole team must improve not just MS.
    its time for a new OC to take MS to the next level
    MS has grown all he can under shotty, a more aggressive OC to push MS
    as RUSS stated above, pass rush and pass protection will keep your QB on the field and their QB on the sidelines . games are won and lost on the line of scrim, thats where it all starts. a couple of good picks can be the difference.

47. By Howie D on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

MIKEVENTI: I agree with some of your points – no need for wholesale coaching change. I said that before, and truly believe Rex will get better. The fact that our history is not stellar doesn’t mean that we should continue to settle for mediocrity, or be contented with two AFC title appearances. This regime came in and publicly promised a championship and while we know Rome wasn’t built in a day, many fans questioned personnel moves and the OC at the start of the season. Those concerns have proven to be our downfall this season. Obviously, not all fans are experts, but there many who know more than those decision makers. I love your perspective, but the bottom is we’ve unnecessarily taken a few steps backwards.

48. By carl on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

Hey Randy , you think Maybin will be back? This guy has a lot of upside!! This guy plays with heart!!! Go Jets!!!

49. By Randy Lange on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

carl, yes, I think Aaron Maybin, who can become a restricted free agent, will be back. But keep in mind I’m not going to be involved in negotiations for either side.

50. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

Sanchez may get better but Rex and Holmes won’t, at least SH will not get better on this team. The reason is that Sanchez’s play is not, in my view, related to who he is as a person. In fact, his personal ethics and accountability are of the highest order. By contrast, Rex and SH’s failings are deeply rooted in who they are and most people, minus talk with some deity or a endless hours of psychotherapy or reflection or a bolt of lightning, don’t change who they are. Rex is showing zero leadership right now and that’s probably what he was doing all yr. Spicer, I like that receiver crew and those of you who think speaking up is Same Old Jets, no, accepting mediocrity and a timid approach to HC choices, the draft, and player development is.

51. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

Wait a minute, GaryC, you also went on and on about how Kerley was a high draft choice (actually, he was a pretty low one), how his 31-yd-avg on KR in exhibition wasn’t good enough (even though that was 3 yds higher than Smith in the regular season last yr), and kept badgering me about when was he going to produce. Well, he produced big-time and is now one of the best young prospects we’ve got, so don’t try to rewrite history. As for Mason, I never thought he or anyone other Jet was gonna catch 90 passes this yr but around the time we cut him, we couldn’t even snap the ball right. But I still like Jersey Joe’s thing about how we seem to dismantle the part of the team that’s operating the best just for the heck of it or so Mr T looks busy.

52. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

Well, Boomer hasn’t drunk any Kool-Aid, that’s for sure. From today’s NY Times: After criticizing Holmes, “Esiason saved some of his harshest criticism for Mark Sanchez, whom he compared to a “Chihuahua standing on Madison Avenue and 36th Street entering the Midtown Tunnel, eyes bigger than you-know-what, and just so shaky.” During the Jets’ three-game losing streak, Sanchez accounted for nine turnovers, including three interceptions in Sunday’s season-ending loss to Miami. Esiason also said that he thinks the Jets are trying to find their Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers and that he expects the Jets to pursue Peyton Manning if Indianapolis, as expected, selects Andrew Luck with the top pick in the draft. “

53. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

Spicer, that’s the most backfired joke I’ve ever seen on this site. Those teams you list have almost zero chance to win the SB or even get close to it, and it’s mostly because they don’t have elite QBs. Back to the drawing board on your stand-up career, my friend.

54. By GaryC on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

to ira and jet fan tom, look at what torrey smith did with the ravens as a rookie and tell me that the jets needed stone mason,jet fan tom,concerning kerley,get the facts straight,I said kerley from the outset should of been the slot receiver,but you were salivating over holmes,plastico,and mason talking how many yards per catch he had with the ravens.you also said that he said he learned a lot from Mason,yeah,right,Your the one with the revisionist history seeing that your fabulous threesome went up in smoke and maybe by this time next year none of them will be on the team.remember, oh yeah,they caught touchdowns in the super bowl,we can expect that from them.

55. By Steve on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

All of you people who are jumping on the Matt Flynn bandwagon, let’s not forget who he plays for… The Packers have the best receiving corp in the NFL, and even when they were missing starters on their offensive line, he still had plenty of protection and time to throw the ball. I don’t know if he would have had that kind of success if he was the starting QB on this years Jets squad. Apples and oranges…

56. By GaryC on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

Nice to know a guy with HIGH CHARACTER,like McElroy,a champion on Alabama,can act more mature than these egotists who are running around in jet jerseys know,No wonder guys like cotchery and himself hated to be in this locker room,the head of the cuckoos nest let the cuckoos run rampant and this is what you got.

57. By MiIKE on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

Desean Jackson. Seriously. That’s like replacing Holmes for HOLMES. Not all stud WR’S are cancers in the locker room. Please avoid Jackson, bringing back Holmes, and Edwards. Guys to target are Dwayne Bowe and I think Mario Manningham is a FA. Kerley looked great especially as the season went on.

Probably could get good picks for Holmes and Cro.

58. By Charliejet on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

Are you kidding me? The logic on this staff would be to get Manning – and then declaring “we have our back-up !”

59. By Charliejet on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

Crying Rex? – Crying? I bet those were big crocodile tears – no wonder half the team left disgusted. I refuse to believe that you(Rex) did not know half the stuff that was going on in the locker. Did anyone hear what McElroy said what was going on in the locker room? This could be adios to McElroy.

60. By scjoe on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

Jetstorm, I heard on a sports talk show just recently that the NY Jets are “a mess” just as you just stated. Don’t fret my friend, I heard the exact same thing last year about the Cincinnati Bengals, they were a mess with their QB quitting on them, just came off of a 4-12 season etc. etc. Well, take a close look at where they are now, just one full season removed from being “a mess” If NFL history has taught us anything it taught us that turn around (both ways) can be very quick, like one season to the next. Go Jets!!!!!!!!!!!!

61. By scjoe on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

I haven’t said a word yet about the SH “problem” I have been a Rex supporter all along and I will continue to be, BUT, I just don’t see how you can bring this player back in 2012. I have learned one thing about Rex, he doesn’t always follow through on what he says from one day to the next, so there is still hope SH does not return in 2012 regardless what Rex said at his presser. He is a good receiver and God knows the Jets need good receivers, but this player crossed the line by miles. Football 101, You don’t quit on your team!!!!!!

62. By Eli Rodriguez on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

GREG MCELROY had an interview and he state “It’s the first time I’ve ever been around extremely selfish individuals. I think that’s maybe the nature of the NFL, but there were people within our locker room that didn’t care whether we won or lost as long as they … had really had good games individually.”
    …..NOW THAT’S THE SIGN OF A TRUE QUARTERBACK SPEAKING OUT AND TELLING GUYS IT’S A TEAM THING. OF COURSE REX RYAN AND MIKE T WILL SEE THIS AS UNDERMINIG THEIR AUTHORITY. MAYBE,HE ALSO WANT OUT AFTER REX AND MIKE T. SAID M.S. WILL STILL BE THE STARTER. I SAID IT ONCE AND I’LL SAY IT AGAIN FORGET PAYTON MANNING AND START GREG MCELROY, AND BRING MIKE MARTZ.

63. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

Before I could even speculate here on why McElroy, of all people, would open his mouth, Cimini speculates Mr T is actually hinting that he’s looking for a vet backup QB who can put pressure on Sanchez and relieve him if we’re falling out of the playoff race in ’12. Available FAs are Flynn, Orton, Campbell, Smith, McNabb, and Young and I defy anyone to say they wouldn’t feel at least as good with most of those guys under center than they would with MS. Why DID McElroy speak up? Have the Jets told him that he’s no way ever getting a shot to start and in fact might be gone next yr in favor of a vet backup? After all, he was only a 7th-round pick. I’d play him in pre-season and see what he can do, even if it’s just to keep him around as 3rd QB.

64. By Hans on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

Tom do you really think we’re going to get Peyton for a decent price? I don’t. I expect Irsay to nickel and dime us for everything including the kitchen sink. I don’t think we should go for Peyton. I think our answer is in house, and I don’t necessarily refer to Mark Sanchez.

65. By yankeesjets fan on Jan 5, 2012 | Reply

The meaning of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different result.Bring back Schotty & Sanchez is insanity,why should we expect different results.Lets go after Peyton or Matt Flynn,draft a pass rusher,& improve the o-line.The status quo is not good enough

66. By DKM on Jan 5, 2012 | Reply

I was disapionted in the Jets as every jet fan was this year, but the hatred displayed by some of you so called die hard fans sickens me, lets fire the whole jets front office and coaching stuff what does it even accomplish? Most coaches and front office personel gets the chance to implement there plans within 4 to 5 years, Rex has been here for 3 and even didnt bring in his own OC. This year was a Hickup, but if you would have told me, before Rex came here, we would go to 2 AFC championchip games i would have singed up for it. Changes need to be made, changes wich are smart and make sense not bone headed moves by changeing the HC and his whole stuff, for what? So we wait another 4 to 5 years to be competative. Get grip on this side.

67. By DKM on Jan 5, 2012 | Reply

I wasnt exactly thrilled by Marks preformence this year. Drew Brees wasnt exactly a great QB in his third year either google it if you dont believe me. He was benchend twice as far as i remember. Give me a Break all you Mark haters. Does he have to get better you bet, and he will. And enough with those high expectation. He never will be Brady, Payton or even Brees and doesnt need to be, but if he gets to ELI or even close we will win a superbowl. So for you who think you cant win a SB with a game manager YOU ABSOLUTLY WRONG and you know it cause it has been done before. Another thing STOP calling WILSON a failed pick what games are you watching. Fix the OL, find another RB, shape up the D and Rex fix your LR than we get back to the PO

68. By DKM on Jan 5, 2012 | Reply

For the ones who think BIG BEN is the next coming give me a break his first superbowl was worster than Marks worst game.

69. By IRA on Jan 5, 2012 | Reply

Tom, I am ready to catch passes from Rodgers. No problem I know i have a bigger heart then some players do.
    McElroy should’ve kept quiet. He hasn’t earned anything yet to go out and call out his teammates. Hey maybe someday he will be a great leader. Now though he hasn’t earned that right yet. Guess when a team is not that good and goes 8-8 when fans expected them to make a run at the SB [i didn't] players and everybody else get frustrated.
    Its going to be hard to watch the playoffs this year.

70. By Frank on Jan 5, 2012 | Reply

Amazing the most insightful and honest assessment and comments coming out of this debacle are from MCELROY!!!!!!!!!!
    What is truely amazing is some of us called it right away that Rex was dickering with the offense and ruining its identity And now he says he wants to get more involved??? God help us! Changing up the entire offense to accomadate one over the hill average receiver because that is what REX wanted imploded the season. REX HAS TO GO!!!!!!!!!!
    I have said it repeatedly he is horrendous in any personel decision that WE KNOW OF that he has been involved with. He is NOT a qualified head coach this team is done if he stays the window has opened and now slammed closed on this team and THIS COACH. Get him outta here!

71. By GaryC on Jan 5, 2012 | Reply

jet fan tom, one other thing about brad smith you tend to forget was how valuable he was on kickoff and punt coverage,the jets this year weren’t as good in either dept.You also say that I don’t expect a lot from sanchez,you say kerley had an excellent rookie year,if that is the case then what kind of year did von miller,torrey smith and andy dalton have,they must be ready for the hall of fame.

72. By GaryC on Jan 5, 2012 | Reply

SIGNING MASON SET US BACK OFFENSIVELY SPEAKING, how does that sound Jet Fan Tom,stone mason stoned the offense in the words of McElroy,I think Mcelroy should have a dual role on jets as offensive coordinator and backup quarterback,he might of had more knowledge than shotty about what was going on.No wonder the lousy season of sanchez,receivers who did not go full board,receivers undermining the offense, the perfect storm,Ahh, to have back cotchery and smith,class acts in this organization.

73. By Frank on Jan 5, 2012 | Reply

McElroy…gotta love the kid for calling the team out. But…er..uh…he’s not the starting QB..ah..or even a captain? But he should be! He is the only one with guts! Guaranteed the organization is ordering a truckload of prilozec and tums today.
    Is anyone really surprised? The locker room is led my “me first” attitudes and players. Wonder who they get that from? Gee wiz thats a tough one.
    I hate to say it but unless drastic changes are made it’s over time to rebuild and Rex and his “culture” need to go. He is not a coach who can actually teach anyone anything…he is a ninnyhammer!

74. By IRA on Jan 5, 2012 | Reply

Gary, I was looking for them to keep Edwards and Holmes and letting Kerley work in with J-Co at the slot. Looking back that was the way to go. Edwards’ being hurt all year could happen to anybody. I also talked a lot about them changing their offensive philosophy and it bit them in the butt. And by the way the defense was just as disappointing as the offense was.
    Time to move on and get this thing fixed.
    GO JETS!!!!

75. By wayne on Jan 5, 2012 | Reply

Look a here, look a here, a rookie QB steps up and says what aught to be said….If the present starting QB can’t take charge of his own huddle and the HC has to cry to get his charges to unite, who is really in charge?

76. By wayne on Jan 5, 2012 | Reply

Shoulda known Jets were headed for trouble with Holmes when contract signing precipitated shirtless celebration……………………….This has one direction to go in. Weak scheduled be damned……What good guy, good players are going to want to get on board this?

77. By Kevin65fan on Jan 5, 2012 | Reply

Not one to stick up for anyones comments…but Tom64 is right and don’t know what your seeing GaryC…I think our guy led the league in KO returns this year…and Mr. Smith was like…22nd. It is not the guy Gary…it is the system that makes it successful. And Smith didn’t return punts..it was Leonard last year. Oh Yea….2012…2012….WE WANT MAC….WE WANT MAC….So maybe a little backlash from lockerroom and vets…but you know what…he will put them in his place. Kid got leadership and smarts over anything especially with the chiwauawa..however you spell it…with the wide eyes shaking (good one Tom) Get strong Mac…don’t backdown….and Compete….Show us what you got…

78. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jan 5, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, I kept saying we needed to sign Holmes, Edwards, and J-Co. Nobody, including the front office, listened to me, and Ira kept saying signing Holmes and Edwards was impossible. Well, as Eleanor Roosevelt famously said, “You must do the thing that you [think you] cannot do,” but the Jets didn’t. I woulda been happy to start Kerley in the slot and not pick up Mason but LIKE I’VE SAID FOR YRS, the Jets are historically skittish about using new guys. This is 2 YRS RUNNING that McKnight shoulda been playing RB, for instance, and hasn’t been. So sure, I expected more from Mason but I didn’t expect that 5 or 6 games in we wouldn’t even be able to SNAP THE BALL VS BAL! Besides, I’m way ahead of the curve on getting rid of Rex…

79. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jan 5, 2012 | Reply

Continuing re Rex, GaryC: As Frank so wisely says, he’s not a HC and nothing will really change until he’s gone or until Woody sees what we really need at HC. Thanks, Kevin65, for reminding GaryC that Smith was pathetic on KR this yr out of Westhoff’s system. GaryC also forgets that Smith has no position off ST and that just over a year ago, a lot of the argument on this site from folks like MJV was over letting Smith play QB, like THAT was the road to the future! It does occur to me, like several of you guys are hinting, that McElroy may be too much of a winner to wanna play for a team that plans on insisting that a mediocre QB is the future without even making him earn the job. Maybe Cimini’s right and Mr T will surprise us with a FA QB.

80. By GaryC on Jan 5, 2012 | Reply

kevin65fan,I am talking about kick coverage units not receiving the punts,Smith has always been one of the top tacklers on the special teams unit along with kickoff ability,he was a jack of all trades player,utiiized in a number of different situations,You and Jet Fan tom have to give him his kudos.

81. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jan 5, 2012 | Reply

DKM, I admire your patience but not your analysis. It’s not One-Size-Fits-All, everybody doesn’t automatically get 4-5 yrs. Going to the AFC championship game twice and getting blown out both times, once in the 2nd half and once in the 1st half, isn’t the greatest accomplishment. If you consider how guys like Schotty Sr. and Coughlin have been hassled by owners, Rex has it easy. As for Sanchez, when you’re picked #5 overall, have basically the identical season 3 yrs in a row, and keep making the same mistakes, you need to earn the job a little. I’d LOVE to see if Sanchez could actually beat out McElroy, Campbell, Flynn, or Orton in the summer and then hold onto the job during the yr. Even as i write that, though, I doubt he could do it.

82. By Kevin65fan on Jan 5, 2012 | Reply

Hey Gary…I will always admire Smith for what he’s done for this organization on ST’s. But the Jets didn’t pay him because all they saw was the ST’s and wildCat stuff. never was the receiver they thought he was and thought he was not worth the money. It showed on Bills ST that he wasn’t worth it…BUT he did show…although I only saw the 1 game against us…but did show some good receiving skills. don’t know what he did for the whole year. always liked him…but became too pricey. JCo…wished he was still here…but HE wanted out. Wish all players from last year were back but financially wasn’t done. I blame good portion of no team unity to having NO off season work and trip to Cortland. Especially with new players we got…

83. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jan 5, 2012 | Reply

Yeah, GaryC, Smith was a jack-of-all-trades who played the Wildcat many times for us and never once threw a pass half as good as the one Kerley threw Sunday rolling right with a huge lineman right in his face. Smith was a good KR guy and good ST guy and a man without a position otherwise and we’re the last team that can afford a guy like that on the roster, much less afford to have illusions about such a guy. We gave him half the decade to learn WR and he got almost nowhere. Stop looking back and look forward, the focus should be on who’s going to pressure Sanchez to step up at least and when we call an end to the Rex era at most. I’ll take anything that’s done between those two end pts “for starters,” as my gal Sofia said in CHASING PAPI.

84. By THUNDER LIPS on Jan 5, 2012 | Reply

anybody hear francesa rip tanny yesterday. i can’t stand francesa but he was so right in what he asked. hopefully this team and administration wakes up. you are a middle of the road team … quite the chatter and start working on becoming an elite team. starts with the GM and HC.

85. By GaryC on Jan 5, 2012 | Reply

Sorry Ira, McElroy did what Mangold,Revis,Harris,Ferguson should have done. even a guy as bad as wayne hunter stood up to holmes childish behavior.there is the problem, the stars of the team should be taking the responsibility and be the leaders.

86. By Tom Spicer on Jan 5, 2012 | Reply

Tom 64, We lost to Pitt 24 to 19 we had 1st & goal from the 2 & 2nd & goal from the 1 late in the 4th quarter. We were not blown out Schotty blew it with 3 straitgh bad play calls or we win that game. Just saying.

87. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jan 5, 2012 | Reply

Good for Scott for having to take ten bills out of his wallet for his obnoxious behavior. Scott was another one of Rex’s delusional projects, a middling LB, basically a situational backup, whom he tried to hype into becoming Ray Lewis, both to Scott’s face and to the media. I can understand Rex dragging some second-rate guys he likes, such as Scott, Leonhard, and Douglas, over to the Jets as he’s trying to revamp the squad. What I can’t understand is (1) overpaying these mediocrities or (2) pretending they’re any more than that. But Rex’s whole approach to head coaching seems more built on pretending — that all his players are terrific, that he has a Super Bowl-caliber team — than anything that smacks remotely of reality…

88. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jan 5, 2012 | Reply

Here are two posts from the Scott story on the NFL site. It’s funny, I find posts to Jet stories on that site are usually shorter, far more obscene, but often more honest than a lot of what I read here:
    “I can see Sanchez being traded to Seattle for a 2nd-round pick… they should work with their backup QB, the kid from ‘bama… Sanchez makes bad choices.”
    “Notice how the teams with the loud, obnoxious, annoying, childish head coaches are almost always the ones with the players who act the same, Lions and Jets top that list. It starts at the top, folks. If your coach acts like a 2-year-old, example, Schwartz and Ryan, so will the players.”
    Hard to argue with any of this — and I’ll take a #2 pick to send Sanchez to SEA right now!

89. By wayne on Jan 5, 2012 | Reply

The clock is ticking for Mr. Tannenbaum and Mr. Ryan……..Mr. T isn’t getting enough credit for assembling this motley crew……..Better get that QB to compete with this kid finally…..Simple fix strengthen run game, with another back and RT and speed up defense, add a speed guy at WR and have someone knock the spit out of Holmes the next time he’s disruptive on field or in the locker room.

90. By STAYLOADED on Jan 5, 2012 | Reply

64′ Tom, Frank, Ira, and all,
    Who ever could throw the long ball on a dime should win the QB spot, And I know it would not be Sanchez. So with that said, Yes, get a new OC in here and do some real tweaking on both sides of the ball. Players that want to play for a Championship not the money. If the HC is not doing what should be done then get rid of him also, during the season if necessary. And let’s hope for a better JETS team for all JETS fans. We as Fans did not deserve the way this ended. Losing to teams that should have lost to the JETS. We could have been watching our team this weekend.

91. By joe on Jan 5, 2012 | Reply

WAYNE yesterday FRANCESSA had MR T studdering (LOL IN PARTICULAR when MR T brough up the success of having Tom Moore around Francessa hammered him ) Also went on about the fact that in 3 years here they have not one any kind of title.(THOSE 4 PLAYOFF WINS ARE ONLY GETTING THEM SO FAR After this year the free pass is over )Trust me guys next years it .This team had better show SOME KIND OF IMPROVEMENT or i got a feeling Woodys going to get rid of them all .

92. By Another Tom on Jan 5, 2012 | Reply

HC is a difficult job..game planning with all those X and O ‘s.. adjusting on the fly..and trying to manage all those Ego ‘s and personalities..personnel decisions and handling the media..Rex doesnt seem to do any of this particularly well.

93. By scjoe on Jan 5, 2012 | Reply

cgb, from previous post. Here is the bottom line on MS. Some of his stats may have improved slightly from last season to this, not hardly enough, but the other intangibles, accuracy, pocket presence, situational awareness,etc. things that don’t always show up on the stat sheet did not improve one bit, in fact may have regressed. Also, he is at his best with an above average O Line and above average running game, if those elements are not present he, by himself can not carry a team like a Peyton, Brady, Rogers, Brees, etc, although he was selected high enough and paid enough to preform at least somewhat close to those mentioned. That is my position on him

94. By joe on Jan 5, 2012 | Reply

SC JOE verywell put.I have been a Jets fan since the early 70s .Since its been 40 plus years since we have WON anything MANY JET FANS have a hard time with reality .(MORE MIRAGES ARE SEEN AROUND HERE THAN THE SAHARA DESERT .Some are trying to JUSTIFY a qb that FINISHED bottom third of the league and his last game completed more throws to interior defencive lineman on checkdowns than he did to his SB MVP RECIEVER )The dream of a new oc turning a 50 game plus qb into sb winning capable is a prime example of this.AS you have pointed out no coach can give him the intangables that he has not shown in 3 years of starting every game

95. By joe on Jan 5, 2012 | Reply

LOL i always bring these anologys up from the SANCHEZ DREAMERS and never get a reply.Brady gets a new OC every 2 years AND NO ONE EVER NOTICES ONE WAY OR THE OTHER .M Martz RAN THE GREATEST SHOW ON TURF with the Rams hows it working out for him without WARNER. Mike Shannohan IS A NOTED QB guru (HE WON MULTIPLE SUPERBOWLS IN DENVER )hows it worked out for him with Grossman instead of Elway

96. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jan 5, 2012 | Reply

Sure Schotty blew it at the goal line vs PIT, Spicer, that’s what he does and what I’ve been saying he should be fired for since the 2nd MIA loss in 2009. But 24-0 at the half is a BLOWOUT, pal, and the 2nd half was just us trying to get back in it. As for the IND game, everyone knew we were out of it when Peyton took only 3 plays to get the TD before the half. Only in Jetsland, where there’s been so little success since 43 yrs ago next Thursday, could 2 half-played efforts in 2 championship losses be sufficient to elevate Rex to the status of a deity. He’s not, those games prove little, and we need a complete overhaul unless you’re up for more of the same next yr, when I predict Sanchez performs at the same level and is pulled mid-season.

97. By harry-o on Jan 5, 2012 | Reply

in the absence of true leadership
    we are willing to listen to anyone who will speak up into the microphone.
    way to go Mc Elroy.natural born leadership, he’s a QB, he spoke up ( unlike MS) , he is as much a team mate as anyone else, he observed this team all season long, any player should speak up if another (s) is hurting the team, the players have to help guide each other. it takes more than one leader ,the more the better. Mcelroy hasn’t played but he is studying and staying in shape I’m sure . leadership can come from any player on the team to instill the proper behavior in others. it has begun,the Mcelroy era is unvailed now he must finish what he started. he’s hungry to play, he wants a shot, let’s see what he can do GO JETS!!!

98. By harry-o on Jan 5, 2012 | Reply

oh by the way
    wasn’t Tom Brady also (McElroy) a 7th round pick
    or something like that ?…….mmmm

99. By Charliejet on Jan 5, 2012 | Reply

Frank, what the heck is a “Ninnyhammer”?

100. By cgb on Jan 5, 2012 | Reply

jet fan tom 64, that would be shocking if sanchez was sent packing. I think we would want more then a #2 . its hard for the jets to conceive of that deal without a proven backup Maybe we will make some trades and move up in the draft and take a QB . It’s all possible,but not likely.

101. By cgb on Jan 5, 2012 | Reply

Wayne, answer this question for me. If Tanny game in as the GM with what looked like a package deal with Mangini,and now mangini is gone .Now im hearing rex and tanny are tide to each other. What are we to believe if things ger really bad next year, that both will be released , i would hope so.

102. By tommyohio on Jan 6, 2012 | Reply

dkm maybe you should revist some steeler film i dont like pittsburgh but big ben wins games even when the team plays bad. mark will never be as good as ben and if you wanna ring the qb needs to be great ….case in point indy ….nobody thought payton was the whole deal to winning ,one player cant make that big of a difference …..well it can …you gotta have great play from your QB, just look at Indy without him

103. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jan 6, 2012 | Reply

Sanchez to SEA for a #2 would only be shocking to Jet fans with their heads in the sand, cgb, not to many folks outside of New York. Sure, I’d like to get more than that for him but who’s gonna give it up? Other than guys like Tarvaris Jackson, who’s he gonna beat out for a starting job? I doubt the MS we saw this yr could take the job away from Kolb OR Skelton in AZ. So a #2 pick from a team set to pick high in the draft is probably the best we could get for MS. I don’t expect the Jets to do it this yr, of course, since they’re still pouring the Kool-Aid in Florham Park. But if/when he isn’t any better next yr, we may not be able to get even a #2 for him. A truly aggressive Jet FO wouldn’t shy away from facing reality and dealing him now.

104. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jan 6, 2012 | Reply

Good pt about Ben R. tommyohio, he’s one of the best examples of a big, tough, big-armed QB who can singlehandedly lead his team to victory in the face of injuries or even just on an off-day by his team. And for the record, I knew IND wasn’t that good and knew they’d tank without Manning. Like the Pats with Brady, nothing about their team is that good aside from their QB. What made everything on IND from their RBs to their OL to their WRs to their hugely overrated D look better was that Manning could put pts on the board in seconds at the drop of a hat. Without that they’re nowhere, without that the Pats would be nowhere, and without that kind of QB you’re increasingly nowhere in the NFL, pass it on to Woody, Rex, and Mr T.

105. By scjoe on Jan 6, 2012 | Reply

64, not having to pay his salary out of my pocket, I would jump for joy getting a #2 from Seattle for MS. Joe, great point about Brady’s musical chairs re” the NE OC.

106. By Tom Spicer on Jan 6, 2012 | Reply

Tom 64, So Marvin Harrison, Edgrin James, Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark & a O line that hasnt let other teams d touch Peyton for years is not good? Gradkowski who just broke multiple TE records & Welker one the the top WR’S in the NFL & a O line with multiple pro bowlers that does not let anyone touch Brady are not good? Come on I have to think you know better than that YES the QB means alot but with out other good players it is not happening. Brady has not won a title since 2004 WHY? Cause he no longer has good enough players around him. He has not gotten worse since 2004 he got better MUCH better the TEAM around him got worse. Peyton has 1 title in like 15 years why? Cause the guys around him were not good enough to get it done. TEAM!

107. By Tom Spicer on Jan 6, 2012 | Reply

Joe, Mark could not complete passes to his Super Bowl MVP WR cause like Brandon Moore, Wayne Hunter & Greg Mcelroy said Holmes quit on the Jets WEEKS before the Miami game. THATS WHY!

108. By harry-o on Jan 6, 2012 | Reply

MS aint go’n anywhere… period.
    and the only thing that can save MS next year is a new OC
    if shotty stays MS is doomed, now try trading MS for a # 2, good luck
    there are many more younger QBs already better than MS and many many more just waiting in the wings to replace him. his time is running out. Repeating the same thing but expecting different results is insanity. It should not take a #5 pick going on four yrs as a starter to ramp up to a back up caliber player. Next season, MS will either become the QB the jets have always dreamed of having or he will become another NFL QB bust, its one or the other. This is MS team, Rex is just X’s and O’s . c’mon Mark take the controls, pilot your team and soar !

109. By joe on Jan 6, 2012 | Reply

Spicer HOLMES quit on the JETS and thats the reason SANCHEZ threw two pickes to DTACKLES on checkdown plays .EVERY TIME YOU ANSWER YOU MAKE MY POINTS FOR ME SPICER AS NO ONE would EVER BELIEVE the excuses you give

110. By joe on Jan 6, 2012 | Reply

SPICER READ TOMMYOHIOS REMARKS =AND LEARN SOMETHING Spicer as usual YOU FORGOT SOMETHING BRADY HASNT WONE SINCE 04 but ROTHESBURGER BREES MANNING AND ROGERS sure have

111. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jan 6, 2012 | Reply

You’re right, Spicer, I was in a hurry and spoke too generally, obviously Welker and the 2 NE TE’s are some of the best players in the game, bar none. What I meant was that minus Brady and Manning, the other units of their teams are not that great. I don’t think the IND receivers would do as well without one of the very top QBs and their O line’s inability to block for the run and even to protect the QB has been exposed. NE has no great running game, it just looks better because D’s and DC’s have to play 60 minutes terrified of where Brady can put the ball. Certainly the NE D, while better this yr, would do a lot worse if Brady wasn’t able to rally from almost any deficit. My main pt is these days teams lean on their QB more than ever.

112. By Tom Spicer on Jan 7, 2012 | Reply

Joe, SORRY WRONG AGAIN as per Bradon Moore, Wayne Hunter & Greg Mcelroy HIS OWN TEAMMATES he quit in the middle of the Eagles game which WAS WEEKS before the Miami game.

113. By joe on Jan 7, 2012 | Reply

ONCE AGAIN SPICER (you shot yourself in the foot )as i never said he didnt quit.Spicer the ENTIRE REASON FOR HOLMES BEHAVIOR is that hes frustrated because he has one of the worst qb in football HES OPEN AND SANCHEZ CANT THROW HIM THE BALL .WITH ROTHESBURGER HE WAS A SUPER BOWL MVP NOW HE HAS a QB completing more balls to interior D lineman (ON CHECKDOWNS )THAN HE DOES TO HIM