• Wed., Sep. 03, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Replay Jets Open Mic on SNY Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences
  • Wed., Sep. 03, 2014 2:15 PM - 2:30 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Thu., Sep. 04, 2014 2:00 PM - 2:15 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Thu., Sep. 04, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Thu., Sep. 04, 2014 10:00 PM - 10:30 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Fri., Sep. 05, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Fri., Sep. 05, 2014 1:25 PM - 1:40 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Sat., Sep. 06, 2014 7:30 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Sun., Sep. 07, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Live Jets Post Game: Raiders at Jets Reactions and on-field interviews with Jets players immediately following every Jets game
  • Sun., Sep. 07, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Live Jets Post Game: Raiders at Jets Reactions and on-field interviews with Jets players immediately following every Jets game

Sparano on Conference Call: ‘I’m a Show-Me Guy’

Posted by Randy Lange on January 13, 2012 – 3:02 pm

Jets fans got to know a little about Tony Sparano while the Green & White were getting ready to play Sparano’s Aqua & Coral twice a year from 2008 through this season’s first meeting at MetLife Stadium in October. He has a touch of the Northeast and “Tony Soprano” about him, a skilled yet blue-collar approach to the game that obviously appealed to Bill Parcells, another quintessential Nor’easter who brought him over from Dallas to be the ‘Fins’ head coach.

So dealing with any alleged Jets “hornet’s nest” is not going to faze the Jets’ new offensive coordinator.

“Contrary to popular belief, I really don’t read a whole lot about what’s said or hear about what’s said,” Sparano said on a conference call with reporters this afternoon. “I’m kind of a show-me guy. Anybody who’s played for me a lot knows I use that phrase — it’s a show-me business, it’s a show-me game.

“Once the players get here, it’s a blank piece of paper. That’s a positive. Sometimes change is good. This situation here is a blank piece of paper, we’ll go from here, we’ll get a chance to learn each other, they’ll get a chance to know me. I’m looking forward to working with these players.”

One player in particular concerns all of Jets nation and that’s the relationship moving forward between Sparano and QB Mark Sanchez.

“Obviously I have some experience because I was on the other sideline against the Jets here,” he said. “Having to prepare for Mark Sanchez was always difficult First of all, he’s athletic. He has a good release. He can make all the throws. He can get out of trouble. … That was a handful, having to prepare for him. I’m happy to be with him now.”

That of course doesn’t mean there aren’t things that Sparano, the Cowboys’ offensive playcaller in 2006 and one of the first proponents of the emergence of the Wildcat in NFL offenses, doesn’t want to work on with the Jets’ now fourth-year field general. But he declined to go into too many specifics “early on in this process.”

“One of the things every offseason you need to do with the quarterbacks is to get them back to square one, break them back from a fundamental standpoint. Games get on you really fast and you don’t have the amount of time you think you have. Now you get a chance to break them back fundamentally and do some of those things you think would be good, stress some of those scenarios that go into the game — clock management, you can turn the ball over a lot of ways in our league.

“We’ll look at turnovers, spend a lot of time with Mark and get going, when we can spend time with him.”

Naturally, the rules are different this year following the new labor agreement last summer. Players can show up anytime at their complexes, but teams can’t require players to begin offseason programs until mid-April. Whenever the new OC and the now veteran QB can sit down, though, they’ll be discussing philosophy.

“I want to have an identity here on offense,” Sparano said. “I want our players to be able to walk into the meeting room and not be surprised with things that are going to be in the game plan every week. I do believe in moving the ball downfield, advancing in chunks. If you can’t get 20 yards in our league, that makes it hard to move the football.”

The Jets had those issues in their 16 games that ended so disappointingly in an 8-8 record. For only the second time in franchise history, they had no completions of 40 yards or longer to a wide receiver. (TE Dustin Keller had a 41-yard catch and LaDainian Tomlinson went 74 yards with a screen.) Shonn Greene’s 31-yard run vs. Kansas City was the shortest “long run” in a season since 1995.

So hearing about an emphasis on “chunk yardage” should be heartening to Jets Nation. But something else will sound familiar, and that’s the emphasis on physical play and the running game.

“Being physical doesn’t mean you’re going to run the ball 55 times a game,” Sparano said. “It means you’re going to protect the quarterback, the attitude of the receivers and their approach. It also comes from the quarterback. I like a physical mentality. We’ll be explosive, we’ll be able to get it downfield, do all those things. But I learned a lesson a long time ago about how you win and lose in this league. You’ve got to have some element of running the football.”

Especially, as head coach Rex Ryan reminded during his and GM Mike Tannenbaum’s portion of the conference call, with the Jets residing in, well, the Northeast. And that’s something else that has enabled Sparano, who grew up in West Haven, Conn., and went to college at New Haven, to feel right at home.

He was relieved of his Dolphins command with three games to go this season, so he spent that with his family and being an uncomfortable watcher of games that he was no longer directly involved in.

“Once the season ended, then all of a sudden the phone started to ring and I was able to start to entertain some of these things,” he said of the short, whirlwind process that led to him accepting the Jets OC job on Wednesday after Brian Schottenheimer through mutual agreement had vacated the day before.

“This opportunity came about to meet with Mike Tannenbaum and with Rex, the opportunity to meet with Mr. Johnson, to speak with them and see just how passionate they are about this organization and what’s happening here right now. Once I got through all that, there was no question for me. I share a lot of the same philosophies that Rex shares. This is home for me. I’m just happy to be a part of this team here. I’m looking forward to it.”

Tags: , , , , , ,

57 Responses to “Sparano on Conference Call: ‘I’m a Show-Me Guy’”

1. By Allan O'Dane on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

All I have to say..I hope the Jets Woody/Mike T./Rex know what they are doing with picking T.Sparano. I hope the Jets draft players to be impact players now and great in the future to play along side Revis and keller and mangold. I hope they get FA that can come in and make a difference on both sides of the ball and in the locker room. I hope Mcelory is our “Tom Brady”…If this season is a failure..then I will simply put it in six letters C-O-W-H-E-R

2. By wayne on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

That’s a good start. A coach talking about getting the ball down field……Novel idea…….Somewhat skeptical about Sparano, but anyone other than you know who is a good start…………………………..Start spending money on blocking and run game. Jets don’t have Tom Brady or Peyton playing QB……..Now, how bout developing your own WRs?

3. By IRA on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

You know a lot of people are questioning this hire including myself. Good thing is Sparano will light a fire under his players and thats something that was missing this year. Always liked what he did in the running game at Miami and i think he will fix our broken OL.Can’t wait to see him at work in Cortland!

4. By AK_JET on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

I believe this formula can be great; if Sparano can get our offense to be a physical ball control style with big play capability, our defense and special teams will deliver. I’m still not sold on Sanchez guiding the offense, don’t get me wrong he has some good qualities, but he has to be accurate with the ball and not waste big plays, especially in a controlled strike offense. I’m not sure he’s consistent enough in the accuracy department and leaves some big plays on the field which you can’t do against the top competition. I think the QB position should be open competition, and Mcelroy should be given a fair shake.
    Patrick Turner will block and picking up another big physical wide receiver (BE?) would be nice, also someone like NeonLeon.

5. By dave who goes back 2 the polo grounds on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

randy- did santonio go to mark’s west coast lockout camp this past spring?

6. By GaryC on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

what was the rush with this hire, was sparano that much sought after, jets couldn’t wait until playoffs ended where they can interview someone off a winning staff,We know how good the jets are when it comes to doing their DUE DILIGENCE,YEAH WE HAVE BEEN DOWN THAT ROAD BEFORE.I was more hoping Clinkscales would get that generals mgrs job with St.Louis,then maybe pry Ted Thompson or Ozzie Newsome away.Good-bye,Tannenbaum.

7. By Chicago Bob on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

This is a positive step – bringing in someone whose attitude can hopefully be contagious. Next step is to clean up the locker room – if they don’t get rid of Holmes, Burress has to go. Can’t have both of them on the field at the same time – they are both cut from the same mold – you can see it in their mannerisms on the field. I doubt if anyone is going to want Holmes even if the Jets were able to eat most of his contract so you may have to bite the bullet and cut him. It is an expensive mistake however since you are bringing in basically a new offensive staff and looking to change the attitude, you don’t want this guy around to poison it. Maybe if Edwards’ knee checks out and you can bring him in on the cheap, you can show Holmes the door.

8. By Jimmer on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

Thank you Wayne for the positive vibes today.
    Allan, I’m on the Rex bandwagon thru next season, no matter how the year goes. He brought in Sparano who truly would have had Holmes not even dress for that final game. Rex knows now, that he didn’t have a grip on the offense like he did the D. The one thing I’m sure of about Sparano, is that he won’t let mold spread. he will keep the offense in check like Rex does with the D.
    The OL might have been as bad as 96′. Even Woody knows without anyone telling him how bad it was. I would not be suprised if we had 15 OL in training camp. The cap issue with Holmes will hurt for the next 2 years. He’s gotta go, cutting him on 6/1 will make it hurt half as much as cutting him today.

9. By Jimmer on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

Cont… Since Holmes was such an outstanding guy after getting that moronic contract, I have a better idea. Keep him on the roster all year and never dress him. then cut him in final cuts of 2013, leaving him lots of chances at another payday. We’re already stuck with the cap money, might as well be as spiteful as he is selfish.

10. By scjoe on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

I listened to Sparano’s conference call and wasn’t overwhelmed. I kind of agreed with his “blank paper” philosophy though. Let him come in, get to know the players and make his decisions based on that. Bottom line though? And again I know I will get some flack, you give Tony Sparano a Payton Manning to work with and he will become a very successful OC. You give him a Mark Sanchez to work with and all bets are off. One other note, if you truly want to ground and pound you better go out and replenish the RB corp.

11. By SCfromNY on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

You need physical players to play physical. Fast & physical LBs, WHO? Stud safety, WHO? Who will cover all the new look tight ends in the NFL?

A lot of work needed.

12. By matthew on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

I really admire Sparano’s work ethic and the loyalty he commands from his players…however, there are other plus”s and minus’s to his selection….I’m really mixed here: Plus’s: 1.) We replaced shotty who couldn’t get out of his own way….Shotty was the fall-guy but thats just business 2.) Sparano brings yet another sound mind to the table to topple our division rival, Patriots team…the guy has had some success doing that! 3.) Physical style of play which will give Mark Sanchez more time to throw the ball, add intensity/add fire to a dwindling locker-room and instill fear in the eye’s of defenses (ok…give it some time here lol) 4.) Give Mark Sanchez another, older wiser mentor — one who can clean-up his game mgt and fundy skills.

13. By matthew on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

Part 2: Minuses to Sporano’s hire: 1.) Ground and pound is an old fashion style of play….Defenses in the NFL are all tough up-front, its the secondaries that are easy to expose (bc of mismatch-ups and strength in numbers and pin-point and quick release accuracies of QBs)…for this reason(s), in recent years we’ve seen the birth of a “purely vertical” passing game. I anticipated the arrival of an offensive coordinator from one of the “high-flyer teams” to create a deep threat. Recall in 2004-’06 Hiemerdinger had issues installing the deep threat because we had Pennington…I recall how excited the fan base was when the Jets at least gave it a shot. But I guess Rex is sticking with what he knows — SMASH-MOUTH FOOTBALL

14. By Jimmer on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

Matthew, I disagree about the high-flyer theory. If a team actually has an excess of great CB’s, they will shut down the “explosive” passing games.
    Teams are going 4-5 wide to exploit the teams with 1 good CB. That opens it all up. Guys in HS are now switching to DB, cause that’s where the money will be in 5yrs. This 4-5wr thing was a fad under the run&shoot, and it’s a fad today. The NYJ are actually above the curve here. We already have 3 good cb’s. Give us 1 more to stop the nonsense. But we really need to stop the average TE from looking like superman. Sure, the Pass rush wouldn’t hurt, but those guys are at a premium. We might draft one in the 1st rd that turns out to be Gholstons’ second coming. DB’s are a little better to predict.

15. By Rich in New Mexico on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

We need to fix the O-Line in the worst way. Their play was awful and it showed. If they don’t address the O-line and get a pass rush we will have no chance next year. I wonder if they would consider going to a 4-3 defense? Depends of course on what players can be had via FA and the draft but it would be interesting from a base pass rushing stand point. I hate having to constantly blitz to get any pressure what so ever on opposing QB’s. We are getting burned regularly with that scheme and by blitzing all the time you lose the surprise factor associated with the non-situational blitz.
    Again if we can fix those two problems I feel we could have a really great year in 2012. Via con dios Jets.

16. By JTorr on Jan 14, 2012 | Reply

All you doubter’s out there didn’t Sparano take the Phin’s to the playoff’s his first year in Miami? Maybe his philosophy was a li’l too tough for the beauty queens in Miami. I honestly think they were a li’l too layed back in the early going, then when it was a li’l too late they decided to play like the pro player’s they get paid to be, but the party was over. If the Jet player’s give him 100% they will improve, but we can’t have any me guy’s out there it’s a team sport. Give em hell Coach!

17. By Arte Olde School on Jan 14, 2012 | Reply

Can we say AMEN to Shotty going bye-bye? Thank God! As Tom ’64 says, he should’ve been gone a LONG LONG TIME AGO!! But anywho, good riddance. I like Tony Saprano’s vibe immediately. He is the antithesis of Shotty. Don’t think we’ll get Haley but it’s okay. My hope is that TS will be enough when we get back to the ball-control, less-complicated normalcy of good football. I liked the way Miami fought all these years. Every OTHER team I watch all year has a productively sound Offense. Each and every play under Shotty was shear agony. Not again, talk about the Same Old Jets!! Regarding SH #10, you ever play football? Imagine running down the field for 60 minutes only to turn around and see your QB on the ground or throwing an INT. NO MORE!!!!!!

18. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jan 14, 2012 | Reply

The single biggest cause for optimism here with Sparano, at least in my view, is that he stated the painfully — make that brutally — obvious with this stuff about big chunks and 20-yd plays. Not only didn’t either Rex or Schotty ever say anything like that in the last 3 yrs, they practically seemed to disagree, acting like you can beat the Patriots and Saints with 3 yd-runs up the middle and 4-yd slants to WRs who’ve averaged 16 and 18 yds a catch. But like scjoe and SCfromNY say, Sparano can only talk so much in the absence of the right players, and we’ll find out pretty soon if Sanchez is in that number…

19. By Eli Rodriguez on Jan 14, 2012 | Reply

M.S will not be the starting QB in 2012, Look how long it took him to learn Shotty playbook– McElroy will eat him up in that department. I’m calling out Rex and Sporano will you guys indeed put the best players on the field, Lets see…. I strongly believe that the ANONYMOUS person(s) who spoke against M.S. is no other than MANAGEMENT, To use as an EXCUSE to get PEYTON MANNING.

20. By SCfromNY on Jan 14, 2012 | Reply

While Pennington did not have the arm strenght to throw deep like Rodgers or Brees he was VERY accurate and a team leader. He would lead the receiver instead of making the receiver stop and turn back a la Sanchez. He threw a lot deeper than 3-5 yard slants and dump offs. A QB who is calm, composed, confident, and accurate can win SBs. There was a guy once named Montana.

21. By Charliejet on Jan 14, 2012 | Reply

I am no expert – but shouldn’t there be a clause in ANY contract that if a player’s action is detrimental to the team i.e. hurts a team on or off the field, in any form that the player can be let go -fired without further pay. I know in the real world, it doesn’t matter what your position is CEO, president, whatever. You get caught stealing – you fired. Case in point with Santonio or any player with huge contract. Not having a good year statistically is fair enough – it happens. But if you are a cancer to that team and make matters worse and cause dissension or a distraction then the team has a right to let you go. That clause should be added to any contract. I would think that would be a standard in any contract to begin with.

22. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jan 14, 2012 | Reply

Eli, that’s a great pt about McElroy maybe learning a new system under Sparano faster than Sanchez. No doubt the McElroy who took the field last summer had an energy, a pocket presence, and a gritty determination that MS has rarely shown even in his best games. Still, that was pre-season. What I like best about your pt, though, is that next yr Rex will not have the kind of wiggle room he’s had for 3 yrs, or thought he had, to play favorites, rave about the wrong guys, make outrageous claims for mediocre or worthless players, etc. NEXT yr, if Sanchez keeps making all these mistakes and the team is losing games it should win, no amount of petitions full of misread, incomplete, or distorted stats from Spicer will stop Rex from playing McElroy.

23. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jan 14, 2012 | Reply

Charliejet, you’re referring to what used to be called a morals clause, and some contracts in some businesses still have them. The problem is, in our increasingly litigious society, it’s very hard to enforce such a clause. If the Jets tried to break Holmes’ contract on grounds that he was an emotional and professional detriment to the team, they’d leave themselves open to a counter suit on the scale of Curt Flood’s vs. Major League Baseball. Holmes could air every possible bit of dirty laundry about Rex, the FO, and the team. He could, for example, make front-page news out of the majorly questionable way Cook was suddenly released after making a huge play in a big game. And there’d be no shortage of lawyers begging to take Holmes’ case.

24. By steven on Jan 14, 2012 | Reply

SOJ or PLJ – Show me!
    Better beaf up the Offensive Line

25. By Kevin65fan on Jan 14, 2012 | Reply

I agree Charlie…like in corporaste world you have many things that get you fired…drugs, drinking booze, sexual harrassment, fighting, talking back to your boss, not doing your work or being at work on time. I have fired many of people that have caused problems and were disruptive in the manufacturing plant. In NFL…what happens…you get suspended a few games…whoopppeee. Fire them…Plain and simple with no $$ recourse.

What i like about most of what TS says…he is coming in with a Blank piece of paper…meaning players have to “show me” what you got. Do not think he will have the mentality to “hand it to them”…but you have to work to deserve it…

26. By Kevin65fan on Jan 14, 2012 | Reply

With that being said….I would love to see Rex’s face when TS goes to him that guess who is the better all arounf QB for this team because he is smarter, more knowledge of ball control, accurate passer….and should start for the team….McElroy. AND you would have a veteran QB on staff (MS) pushing him to make him better the next 2 years.

27. By Kevin65fan on Jan 14, 2012 | Reply

2012…2012…2012…We want Mac…WE WANT MAC….

It will happen…we are Jet Fans…Goodbye Schotty, you are this years scapegoat….

Don’t have that sour looking face MS…your next….

And watch out Rex…I love ya….BUT you have an ex-coach in TS on staff and maybe Haley…all capable of replacing you if things go wrong.

28. By marcus c boyce on Jan 14, 2012 | Reply

YES JUST LIKE A NORMAL JOB !!! IT SHOULD BE THE SAME.

29. By marcus c boyce on Jan 14, 2012 | Reply

AND I WILL KEEP BURESS CAN YOU THINK OF HIM PLAYING IN THE SLOT? HUM?

30. By Bennett on Jan 14, 2012 | Reply

I think one of the many problems with Schotty was that he didn’t know how to tailor offensive plays against the different opponents he faced. He never could fiquer out how to develope an offensive game plan to exploit the opponents strenghts and weakness. It seemed to me he was always trying to run the ball against teams with weak secondarys and pass with teams that had trouble stopping the run.I think Sporano will be much better at this and we will see an immediate improvement in offensive punch.

31. By scjoe on Jan 14, 2012 | Reply

SCfromNY, being the Pennington fan that I am I couldn’t agree more. The arm strength thing was so far overblown it wasn’t even funny anymore. I watched him through deep his first year in Miami and didn’t see anything indicating he had a “noodle arm” that some tagged on him. He was smart, accurate, able to lead, had great feel for the pocket, and he had that all important situational awareness.He was all the things that Mark Sanchez isn’t. Did it really matter if Sanchez had superior arm strength then Chad (which I doubt anyway) where were all the big plays down field?

32. By scjoe on Jan 14, 2012 | Reply

Charliejet, actually there is a clause, it is called “guaranteed money” they can be let go at anytime for any reason and all they will receive is the portion that was guaranteed. That is where a very savvy GM comes into play. I don’t think Tanny was to savvy when he worked out the deal for Holmes. If he were, knowing what he already knew from Holmes days at Pitt, the club would not be in the predicament that they are in now re: Holmes.

33. By AK_JET on Jan 14, 2012 | Reply

I’m glad to see other’s on this site sharing the same sentiment I have on the Quarterback position- accuracy and acumen are essential to becoming a true NFL quarterback- If Tannenbaum really believes the statemanet “the best way to develop a team is from within” then let’s see what Mac has got. Open competition and see who comes out on top, MAC has been a winner from high school through college (not to mention playing in the SEC).

34. By SCfromNY on Jan 15, 2012 | Reply

Not to beat a dead horse but as a Pennington fan everyone seems to forget his top receiver in college. Randy Moss. I don’t think Moss ran many slants usually down field.

35. By Charliejet on Jan 15, 2012 | Reply

T64, Kevin 65, scjoe – thanks for the response. I only watch the game – don’t get into the business side of it but it was enlightening. scjoe you said it “savvy GM”
    1) Rex and Tanny did not do their homework on this guy(Holmes) and 2) I think Rex and Tanny have such huge egos “Oh I know how to handle these guys – l’m a player’s coach” yada, yada, yada… hey Rex you ain’t no Al Davis what a mess we are in.
    P.S. It is a shame Al Davis is not around any more – maybe he would have taken
    Holmes off our hands…

36. By Charliejet on Jan 15, 2012 | Reply

P.S. It is a shame Al Davis is not around any more – maybe he would have taken
    Holmes off our hands.

37. By Tom Spicer on Jan 15, 2012 | Reply

Tom 64, “No doubt the McElroy who took the field last summer had an energy, a pocket presence, and a gritty determination that MS has rarely shown even in his best games” Now this is funny can I please have some of whatever it is that you are drinking?

38. By Tom Spicer on Jan 15, 2012 | Reply

SCjoe, Those deep plays where gone when you get sacked 40 plus times, are constantly under pressure & have only 1 guy with the ability to strecth the field so other teams take him away. This is not high school its the NFL. Also Chad still had that same noodle arm just throwing the ball in beatiful Miami is alot different then throwing it in the hollowing winds of the Meadowlands. Lastly “pocket presence” this term is GARBAGE! show me a team with a good o line & I will show you a QB with “pocket presence”

39. By wayne on Jan 15, 2012 | Reply

Steve Weatherford is going to is 3rd straight Championship game……..Imagine, that Giants team was dead going into that jet game….Scary thought for you Jet fans…..That weak schedule next year may not be as weak as the past year’s schedule….Bottomline, teams will make Rex and his boys earn every win….I don’t believe this team will be able rely on weaker schedule yielding more wins. Last off season was huge for Tannenbaum, he came up small. This off season is huger(is that even a word?). That Puppy Boomer was talking about won’t make it cross the street if he flubs this one.

40. By wayne on Jan 15, 2012 | Reply

Passrush, defense and rushing the ball…….That’s it…..Back in the playoffs…..2 consecutive years this team focused on receivers….That horse should be pretty dead now…..Get a couple a good young fast WRs to develo(they don’t have to be drafted), but should be focusing primarily on fortifying run game. RB has to be #1 priority…..Only thing that should override this pick is special pass rush talent or special LB who can rush passer. RT falls to 3rd in line in order of priority.

41. By wayne on Jan 15, 2012 | Reply

Imagine Giants – New England SB again……The result would be be same. Giants win by bigger margin……………………………….Start building a team Jets. You’re gonna be little brother until you win a SUPERBOWL……Don’t care about you making a big splash at the draft.. Or big flashy FA signings…..Green Bay, Giants, Pittsburgh never make big splashes, but they seem to be able to field good respectable teams……hmmmmm.

42. By Harvard prof on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

If the Jets were so quick to get rid of Pennington because of his “weak” Arm… Why are they not equally as determined to get rid of Sanchez? He is no where near as good as pennington, Who was smart, read defenses well, and play action passed well and ran suprisingly well. And dirt cheap compared to Sanchez. Secondly, Jets cant Ground and pound in this division, The Patriots will have a field day against the Jets if they think they can run it on them all day, The Dolphins are one good QB away from taking the number 2 spotm And the Bills will be better defensively, YOU MUST BE ABLE TO THROW THE BALL! Thirdly, Jets need a running QB, Smith was never given a shot, Bring in Michigans QB or Origons, they can run it and throw better than sanchez

43. By Harvard prof on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Jets play St Louis next year… Truly a great revenge game for shotty, Jets better win this one!

44. By Tom Spicer on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

SCJoe, Is 100% right guys were hailing MR.T for getting Holmes for only a 5th round pick. Well now you know why we got him for that cause he is a cancer & a quitter. Also if you trade for a guy like that you dont give him a long term deal with lots of guarenteed money bad job by MR.T

45. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Spicer, I can barely keep up with you. I’m about to go back on the other story to post about your Pravda-like omission of Ben R’s injuries in the DEN game (plus 5 PIT starters out) and here you are on this story, misquoting me. Thanks for leaving out “But that was only pre-season” in my post about McElroy. I guess a guy who doesn’t even believe there is such a thing as pocket presence will lie, omit facts, or just beat himself into a frenzy denying the importance of great QBs when just about everybody who knows anything about pro football is saying it every day. No one can even find words to describe the quality of Brady’s play but you somehow think we’re going to win the division ahead of his team without a QB like that. Dream on…alone.

46. By joe on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Guys PERSONAL WISE there is absolutely none better in the NFL THAN PITTS K COLBERT .LOL we thought we stole SANTANTO for a 5th .Whats really funny is KOLBERT used the pick on A BROWN who will be an all pro soon

47. By joe on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Harv Prof Tom Jet FAN Since 64 great points UNTILL WE get a LEGITIMATE NFL QB in here were not going anywhere.

48. By SCfromNY on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Why do people keep posting about the run game. Decent backs can be found. How was the Giant’s running game Sunday? Who won with passing? The 49ers passed 42 times to beat NO. Without that passing they would have lost. Unless we get a stud safety to cover the tight ends we will never keep up. Fast LBs to close off the edge and maybe someone to rush the passer. I like Rex BUT he needs to evaluate talent without emotion.

49. By joe on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

ps EVERY TEAM THAT WON THIS WEEKEND did so because of their qb play EVERY ONE

50. By TMac on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Jet fan 64/Tom…I dealt with the SpiceMan a few years back. I quit when selling jerseys and getting tweets, not to mention being in GQ, was more important than wins/stats. This Sanchez business is all political and has nothing to do with common sense…4th highest paid QB and pretty much the worst in the league in every other category. FB page for MS says it all.

51. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

SCfromNYC, joe, and TMac, it’s very refreshing to read posts from people who can evaluate the team calmly rather than as if they’re suffering from oppositional personality disorder…which is what someone has to be suffering from if they really think the Sanchez that we’ve seen so far is anything resembling even a consistently good QB, much less a great one.

52. By Tom Spicer on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

Joe, ” EVERY TEAM THAT WON THIS WEEKEND did so because of their qb play” Did you watch the Raven game? REALLY!

53. By PATTY on Jan 18, 2012 | Reply

If the Jets were to trade up and get Trent Richardson, they would have the next Adrian Peterson and between him and Shaun Green, they might have the best running game ever. They would run the ball so much they opposing quarterback would never be on the field

54. By PATTY on Jan 18, 2012 | Reply

Kellen Moore would be a great QB for the Jets

55. By Albanydan on Jan 19, 2012 | Reply

There is a reason that some franchises have a winning and playoff history and some do not. One of them is consistency in coach and management.
    The talk here of Rex getting just one more year after winning 30 games including two AFC title games in the 3 seasons is unfortunately typical of NY. Herm Edwards made two playoffs and was two missed FG’s from an AFC title and was also run out of town his first non-playoff year. I have no problem with Rex promising a title every year. The offense needs practice time to get in sync, the strike hurt, they will be better next year. PATIENCE. Cool yer J-E-T_S

56. By Jesse B on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

I like the atitude Sparano is bringing to the Jets, but to accomplish these things, were going to need play makers on the offensive side and a solid man in the middle, a SS or MLB. On offense, i have one name for you… Trent Richardson, best RB prospect since a man named Adrian Peterson coming out of college. He can catch the ball out of the backfield, run between the tackles, has exceptional vision to gain positive yardage and burn you in the open field… Oh, and he is a great blocker as well… Versatile and an everydown Back… Once our running game starts scaring opponents again, it will open up the field for receivers.

57. By SCfromNY on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

While I believe a running back is a must add I think early draft picks need to address other more important issues. Foster and Blount were not even drafted and look what they do. Among the Jets needs is some better scouting personal. When was the last time they uncovered a “gem” free agent? I hope someone recorded the Giant vs 49ers so Sanchez could see what a Great QB does under pressure. . . NO INTs! Quick question, how many think Wetherford is sad he was cut?