• Sun., Oct. 26, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EDT Live Jets Talk LIVE: Pregame Get your most compreshensive game preview as Jets Insiders Eric Allen and Amanda Pflugrad are joined by Vic Carucci of the Buffalo News. JTL kicks off at 11:30 a.m. from the Coaches Club at MetLife  Stadium.
  • Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Inside the Jets

• Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Extra Point - Only on SNY

• Wed., Oct. 29, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

• Thu., Oct. 30, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Sat., Nov. 01, 2014 3:00 PM - 3:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Tue., Nov. 04, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Extra Point – Only on SNY

Patrick Turner’s Foundation for the New Season

Posted by Randy Lange on February 19, 2012 – 9:33 am

One thing Tony Sparano said when he was Miami’s head coach back in the summer of 2010 was that WR Patrick Turner was “starting to play, doing some good things,” but that he needed consistency on the field to reach his full NFL potential.

Turner began showing some of that quality this past season in the Jets’ wideout group and he recently secured some consistency of employment when the potential restricted free agent and the Jets agreed to a contract extension through the 2012 season.

“It’s good to have the opportunity from the Jets and I was glad to take that. No hesitation on my part,” said Turner when I caught up with him back near his old stomping grounds near Nashville, Tenn. “I’m looking forward to being able to contribute to the team. We have a lot of new faces on the coaching staff and I’m looking forward to working with them.”

One of those new faces is Sparano’s — he’s now the Jets’ offensive coordinator. Turner has no qualms working with the man who let him go on the Dolphins’ final cutdown in 2010.

“I played for Coach Sparano for a year. He’s a high-energy guy,” Turner said. “He really likes football players around him. And not just football players — I’m talking about guys who are in there every day busting their tails for the long haul. That’s something he preached while I was with the Dolphins, and I believe he’ll do a really good job for us. I feel like he’s a great asset for us and he fits the philosophy of what we’re trying to do.”

Parts of that philosophy, as Sparano has previously noted since coming aboard, are to establish the run, seek offensive balance, but also to pursue “chunk plays” to move the ball downfield, well, energetically.

Turner’s numbers from his two seasons in green and white remain modest (10 catches, 122 yards, one TD). But he showed his “chunkability” in the otherwise unfortunate Thursday night mile-high game when he grabbed a Mark Sanchez pass down the deep middle for 25 yards to convert fourth-and-19 and keep the Jets’ comeback hopes alive in the final minute against the Broncos.

For history buffs, it’s interesting to note that play was the Jets’ longest fourth-down conversion in the last 15 seasons and their third-longest in the last 30 years. The only longer conversions came on a Neil O’Donnell-to-Keyshawn Johnson TD pass on fourth-and-goal from the Dolphins 29 in 1996 and on a Pat Ryan-to-Mickey Shuler fake-field-goal scoring strike on fourth-and-20 at Minnesota in 1982.

Turner added another memorable grab in an otherwise dreary day, the 19-17 loss to the Dolphins in the Jan. 1 regular-season finale. His 10-yard touchdown reception from Sanchez came on the Jets’ final offensive snap of the ’11 season.

P.T. needs more of those kinds of plays to stick around and establish himself as a Jet. But he sees reasons to be optimistic.

“We just look forward to making a lot of big plays this year, being as efficient as possible,” he said. “We feel we have a ton of playmakers out there at the receiver position and on our offense. We have younger guys like Jeremy Kerley and we still have Santonio [Holmes]. We still have a lot of guys who can make plays in crucial situations. It could be a really good thing with the experience we have now, coming into this next year, understanding a little more about the game and how the game flows.”

The Jets’ wideouts are also getting a new position coach in Sanjay Lal, and Turner believes the package he will present to Lal, Sparano and head coach Rex Ryan will give him a chance to attain the consistency that many young players seek to establish in the NFL pressure cooker.

“I know the type of player I am,” he said. “I know the type of receiver I am in the blocking game and on the receiving end of things. I’ve got some recent texts from Coach Sparano and Coach Sanjay saying they’re looking forward to working with me. It’s not like they haven’t seen what they have to work with.”

Turner’s doing his part to be ready. NFL players don’t report to their offseason strength and conditioning programs until mid-April, but he’s already doing cardio, speed and strength work with his cousin, Kurston Biggers, who was a running back on Tennessee’s 1998 national championship team and is now a professional trainer and the strength coach at Brentwood Academy south of Nashville.

“It feels good so far,” said Turner, who will kick his training up a notch when he goes west in a few weeks to another one of his home bases at Southern Cal. “My body feels good. Health is the key. I’m glad I came out of this season healthy. It’s a blessing. This is a physical game. I’m happy with the foundation I have to work with going into this next year.”

Turner’s TD Catch

Inside the Jets: Patrick Turner

Patrick Turner Photos

Tags: , , , , , ,

111 Responses to “Patrick Turner’s Foundation for the New Season”

1. By westcoastJET28 on Feb 19, 2012 | Reply

I hope PT becomes the consistent players he and all of us in the Green & White nation want him to be. He could turn out to be a great WR for us in a time were we are in a salary cap bind. Logan Payne will be back this year too, he showed great promise in the preseason last year, hopefully he can stay healthy and make a contribution for us.

2. By IRA on Feb 19, 2012 | Reply

Besides Turner making that catch in Denver that was by far Sanchez’s best throw of the season. He had so little room and got the ball in there. I wouldn’t be surprised if they go with Turner as their #2 and they draft a WR. To me Turner can be like Hartline is for the Fish. A nice #2 who compliments a very high paid #1.
    GO JETS!!!!

3. By Another Tom on Feb 19, 2012 | Reply

Good signing for sure. He has shown that He has potential to be a solid contributor…and probably not too expensive

4. By scjoe on Feb 19, 2012 | Reply

I have always been of the opinion that a “quality” QB don’t need “elite” WRs to succeed. Turner is certainly a serviceable WR. He has size and decent speed, not overwhelming, but decent. So why there are people who insist a WR is a priority especially early in the draft is way beyond me. Just one problem with that equation, we don’t have that “quality” QB. I am trying to scale back on the term “elite” because it is probably thrown out there way to often and should be limited to the Peyton’s, Brady’s and Brees of the world.

5. By uncle joe on Feb 19, 2012 | Reply

I always liked Turner. I was a little afraid that he would be let go being that Sparano let him go in Miami. I think him being with Sanchez in College is huge for them. This Mohamed Sanu from Rutgers is gonna emerge as the top WR in the draft. Would love to get him at 16 and maybe send Holmes to Redskins to move up in round 2 for DE/LB Curry.

6. By GaryC on Feb 19, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, turner has been cut,holmes is a ticking time bomb and kerley is five foot nine and you are wondering why we need a big time wide receiver.

7. By IRA on Feb 20, 2012 | Reply

westcoast,
    Great point about Payne. Out of sight out of mind. He played really well last summer and was real good on ST’s. I would be surprised if he doesn’t make this team.

8. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Feb 20, 2012 | Reply

From a piece on the NFL site by Lombardi about the reasons good players go undrafted: “The most common one is what I call “the agenda.” The agenda pops up when a player is drafted highly, or when a major decision-maker falls in love with a particular player, thus causing an unfair evaluation for every other player at his position.” Sound familiar with respect to our QB problems? Our S problems? Our LB problems? Our RB problems? All reasons I can’t wait until Rex isn’t “falling in love” and “making decisions” anywhere near Florham Park. As for Turner, this is the yr he needs to show something big very early on but the problem, scjoe, is that we have no guarantee that he will, which is why people are talking about taking a WR relatively high.

9. By GaryC on Feb 20, 2012 | Reply

and now we are talking about Logan Payne, who hasn’t caught on yet, played wide receiver at the university of Minnesota,not a school with a great history of putting out wide receivers,but did put out Bobby Bell,many many years ago as one of the great outside linebackers.

10. By Patty on Feb 20, 2012 | Reply

We still need another 6’7′ TE to compete with the Patriots. Maybe put Keller in the slot and get two 6’7′ TE’s who can block and catch. That’s what got the Patriots to the Super Bowl. They didn’t have a great defense. They didn’t have a great offense but they had two 6’5 TE’s nobody could cover. What a safety net. Even get two 300 lb linemen who can block for the run, or run 5 yards for a third down would work.

11. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Feb 20, 2012 | Reply

That’s exactly right, GaryC — at WR AND OLB, we need someone coming out of school with Bobby Bell’s potential for the pros, not Logan Payne’s!

12. By scjoe on Feb 20, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, Turner has been resigned, Holmes is here to stay, and is a very efficient WR if used right. Kerley is 5’9″ correct, how big is Welker? I am not saying absolutely do not draft a WR. I am saying it is ludicrous to select one early.

13. By scjoe on Feb 20, 2012 | Reply

My biggest fear this off season is not so much what the Jets will do, but what if this is the year belichek gets it right. What if this is the year he hits that grand slam with all those early draft picks (6 in the first three rounds) not to mention free agency. How do the Jets narrow the gap with one pick in each round? My biggest fear is that it widens, not closes. And yes, I am ready for the critics who will say “worry about the NY Jets, not the NE Patriots” Well, in reality I am, and you should be too.

14. By DKM on Feb 20, 2012 | Reply

potential is there, i hope PT can turn it into a starting Job.
    JFS64 its called the BUDDY SYNDROME wich i think is creeping into the Jets, not just with the draft but also with the starters, guys starting no matter what and its not always the best guy for the job, even in the draft the same thing, this guy played for me this guy did this and so on.

15. By Gabriel on Feb 20, 2012 | Reply

Tom 64 just face it, Rex Ryan is here to stay. Most Jet fans love this man. Turner looks like he could be a good number2 he certainly has the size and decent speed, Tony might finally get him to blossom into a good reciever. I agree with that throw by sanchez to turner. That was one of his best throws all season but we didnt see a whole lot of that pin point throws at all but when he does it shows he can be accurate. I want to say the Jets may draft a reciever but if you look at who they have they have : Holmes, payne, turner, riley, scotty mcknight. they may draft one later in the 4th or 3rd round. I would like to see the first 3 or 2 picks again go to the defense.

16. By jetsfan80 on Feb 20, 2012 | Reply

The Jets should stick with the receivers they have. Holmes, Turner, Kerley are all fine. They also have Payne and could give Riley or Campbell (both have pretty good size) a chance. The Jets have got to add a DE who can put pressure on the QB and they must get better at LB and S to get the D to a point where we don’t have to send all these exotic blitzes. There is plenty of talent in the draft and on the market to achieve this. I might would even add another TE before adding a WR.

17. By Jimmer on Feb 20, 2012 | Reply

Since Turner will be back, we know of 3wrs who should be on the team. 2 of them at or near the minimum. With the CAP, I don’t know what we can afford at WR. I’d love to have BE back, but we’re hopefully gonna go the route of bringing up our young guys. The only bad thing that I saw from our WR core was a quitter, and, unfortunately, we’re stuck with said quitter. Too much money invested on 1 guy forces us to go cheap at others at that position. We’re not drafting a WR #1 no matter who is there. We also can’t go after FA’s for the same reason. With DR, Cro and Sanchez eating up 25 mil a yr, it really hurts everywhere else. We have to support those positions now, pass protection, covering TE’s, and rushing the passer.

18. By Jimmer on Feb 20, 2012 | Reply

We were a RT and a S away from being a 12-4 team. No kidding. If Sanchez had time to get the ball to wr’s, Holmes wouldn’t have been such a cry baby.
    If we had a S that could cover a TE, we might have been the #1 D.
    The front office made mistakes as well. Plax was NOT an upgrade over BE,, who could have been back for the same money Plax got.

19. By wayne on Feb 20, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, totally agree……….This team has spent the last 2 years with WR on the brain…………….TIME TO DO SOMETHING ELSE…….That position is not top four………RB– Passrusher– LBs– RT…Team should be able to get a serviceable vet to come in and help and a couple a developmental guys……Guys are talking like this team has 20 picks in this draft….They gave em away like free cheese……….These picks need to count…..permutate to your hearts delight about FAs, they can’t outbid most teams….If they go crazy for a particular high end guy, it will leave them short on the other side……They’ll need to go bargain hunting………

20. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Feb 20, 2012 | Reply

Gabriel, Rex was running 60% keep/40% dump in those post-season polls, so I don’t know where you get your numbers. I also don’t care who even a single Jet fan “loves” — a lot of ‘em “love” Jim Leonhard, too, even though he’s one of the least effective S’s in the NFL — because I can’t build a team on that. And Rex won’t be judged how much love he gets from anyone but what kind of results he gets on the field. Given the number of things he does badly (groom players, use them properly) or not at all (evaluate players, run the O), I’m not too worried about the love factor. He, Sanchez, and the team need to take a big step forward in 2012 or they’ll be looking for love in all the wrong places in Florham Park. DKM, I agree re Buddy Syndrome.

21. By Tom Spicer on Feb 20, 2012 | Reply

I am okay with a fight between Turner & Kerley for the #3 wide out & the loser is the number 4. But for our #2 we need to either draft some one or sign a WR as a free agent. Unless we get a dominate RB we need to address the WR spot.

22. By Tom Spicer on Feb 20, 2012 | Reply

I know this will not be a popular post but with Turner being our big WR & Kerley being our small, shifty slot guy. I dont think we should worry about the WR that fits into a certain mold & just take the best one out there when we pick & I think that will be Kendall Wright. I would love to get this guy he is a explosive deep threat. This guy is a human highlight reel they compare him to Deshawn Jackson.

23. By GaryC on Feb 20, 2012 | Reply

Scjoe, what I meant about turner was he had been cut before by the dolphins so who knows what he has, and those names that I see who are on the jet roster now, I don’t see defensive coordinators on opposing teams losing sleep over that collection.

24. By Row on Feb 20, 2012 | Reply

Sanchez must be restructured. A rookie could perform at his level with a full training camp. In three years I have yet to see him look to throw the ball down field. I have seen no flashes of brilliance where even Matt Moore and Tebow have done that. I have seen more turnovers, a bad attitude and a sense of entitlement that no player in the NFL should present. It is absolutely absurd he is starting on the New York Jets. There is a reason this organization hasn’t been to the dance recently, no one can admit they’re wrong.. The coach or GM has to be fired before someone will acknowledge anything and change things to work. Parcells had it right, but no one could stay healthy. Herm drafted well but made a bad judgment call with KC. Winning cures

25. By robertpapalia on Feb 20, 2012 | Reply

Let`s get real folks. Do you think if Turner was any good the Dolphins would have cut him in the first place. One of the Jets priorties in the off season is a recieiver who has long range play making abilities. The Jets don`t have any one like that on the current roster. And that includes Turner.

26. By DKM on Feb 20, 2012 | Reply

Gabriel i dont love him and i dont hate him,so cross me of your list of most Jets Fans, lets face some reality in your own little world, if he doesnt produce he will be OUT DA HERE faster than you can say “What Happend” and rightfully so, with no Heart Feelings to be spared.
    Afterall this is Football and i agree in that sense with JFS64, there is no room for mediocre, sentimental, achivements.
    Even as a Jets Fan and paying Season Ticketholder i can expect some sort of accountability after enough time at the Helm. And that by the way goes for FO too.

27. By Karan on Feb 20, 2012 | Reply

I like Turner, I don’t why I was so low on the guy before, he’s actually a pretty good player. Now if we can only get Bray back. Edwards, Holmes, Kerley and Turner sounds like a pretty good WR combo if you ask me. And don’t forget Dustin Keller who is an excellent receiving tight end along with Jeff Cumberland. Yes sir, this would be nice indeed.

28. By Karan on Feb 20, 2012 | Reply

The Jets should not draft a WR, if they want to, then in the later rounds. We have all the receivers we need except for a deep threat, and the answer is perfect, Mark likes him, he likes mark: Braylon Edwards needs to come back here. He is a JET. No way Burress is coming back. Edwards is still only 29, he’s fast, young, has pretty darn good blocking skills, is a deep threat no doubt as we have seen him be in the past and most importantly, him and Mark always seem to be on the same page. Please front office, make this happen!!!!

29. By Karan on Feb 20, 2012 | Reply

Round one for the Jets needs to be on either an offensive lineman (a Tackle really) or a safety (mark barron seems good).

30. By Karan on Feb 20, 2012 | Reply

I hear Sparano is good at picking our blocking tight ends and offensive lineman. They had a pretty good system down in Miami in how they developed guys like Jake Long. I hope Jets can get their hands on Vernon Carey. The Jets MUST make Wayne Hunter a back-up again. Rob Turner Must be re-signed. It would be great to get Carey. I also like that kid Caleb that we got last season from the Packers. And I’ve always liked Slauson, some people speak of obtaining a new LG, I think he is a fine LG, don’t need anyone to take that spot. If the Jets do this and add even more solid O-lineman, they will be back to form. Also, most importantly, release Vlad Ducasse.

31. By uncle joe on Feb 20, 2012 | Reply

Yes, One thing we ALL agree on is Edwards NEEDS to be back. Don’t know why he was let go last year. Should be cheap on a one year deal. I love players on one year deals, they always play great for that next contract.

32. By DKM on Feb 20, 2012 | Reply

Enough with recycling and bringing in old WR, same dont pick one in the 1st Round, we have to many other important needs to adress.
    If one happens to fall to us in the later rounds and he is the best on the Board at this point than you take him the same with the Saftey, shore up your Lines and the LB’s first than you take care of other things, this is what solid no nonsense FO’s do.

33. By scjoe on Feb 20, 2012 | Reply

Wayne, I think you nailed it! A serviceable vet to come in and work in cohesion with the younger developmental WRs. NOT a high draft pick. I think the perfect guy is Braylon Edwards.He has the size, speed, blocking ability and familiarity with MS and I don’t think he will break the bank either. Save those all important high draft picks for the RB, OLB, and OT positions because they are much more critical in the grand scheme of things.

34. By scjoe on Feb 20, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, in my opinion, for what it is worth, a RB the caliber of a Trent Richardson will go a long way in making the WRs we already have on this roster much better! Not to mention the QB. And I can guarantee defensive coordinators will be game planning for this offense then.

35. By scjoe on Feb 20, 2012 | Reply

Row, I agree 110% about restructuring Mark Sanchez. It is actually a no brainer, but I fear it is a no brainer that will never get done. For this player, considering his performance this past season to count over 14 million against the cap is totally ludicrous, and that is putting it discreetly. I can only hope that Woody Johnson actually looks at the numbers and realizes that is the case.

36. By DKM on Feb 20, 2012 | Reply

ha,ha,ha,……………. 12-4 good one i like bad jokes, are you dreaming Jimmer 10-6 more likely with a new RT and a S if you lucky, even if we end up 12-4 you might have tied if not being 1 game behind the Pats than what, remember we in it to win it we need to beat the Pats not tie them.

37. By EricM on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

I thought we needed a deep threat receiver earlier this year but not now cuz I saw the rooster list. Patrick Turner I think he was underused last year. Let Plexico go this year. No way the Jets are going to sign any free agent WR this year with the salary. WR for 2012: S. Holmes, P. Turner, J. Kerley, plus the 3 people below. A deep threat makes other WR such as Holmes better such as in 2010.

Michael Campell, Logan Payne, Eron Riley- Let these WR play more. They have the height and I’m sure they have speed also. One or two of them can be the #2 deep threat receiver I hope in 2012. I hope one of them can replace Santanio Holmes a few years down the line.

Fix the offensive line so Mark Sanchez has time to throw ball deep.

38. By IRA on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

wayne,
    Bingo thats right WR is not the most urgent position they need help in right now. Do they need a #2? Yes and maybe they add one in free agency or a trade. And lets not forget they need TWO safeties not one. As for trading away picks well sometimes its good but they gave away too many since 08. I think about 5 or 6.

39. By GaryC on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

Look, truthfully if I had my druthers, my first pick is Brockers, a guy who could team up with wilkerson as a jet bookend for years to come and possibly move in a tackle to get an inside pass rush,they say he is a work in progress but unlimited talent and jets need to hit a grand slam after all these misses.they say upshaw is a safe pick,solid, but not a super sacker.and second I am still looking at Jeffrey the wideout, Bleacherreport which people read says he has gotten his weight to 215-220 and increased his speed,that is why I am looking to the combine.So these two guys are beginning to be my first selections for jets,either or.

40. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

Oh man, is this one reason we often draft poorly? From Cimini’s piece on the Combine: “GM Mike Tannenbaum likes to ask outside-the-box questions such as: What are your pet peeves? If you could invite any three people to dinner, who would they be? Stuff like that. The idea is to find out what makes a player tick.” Row, great courage on your part saying the truth about Sanchez’s performance and the need to redo his deal. EricM, relying on Campbell, Payne, and Riley, all of whom are barely hanging on in the NFL, would just show the league we’re not serious about scoring, much less winning. But maybe that’s Woody’s idea, rein in the spending before selling the team and clear a bigger profit…

41. By wayne on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

You guys with the Logan Payne can’t be any good because he’s outta Minn…..Where did Victor Cruz hail from? All a guy needs is an oppty….Sadly this organization had to be dragged kicking and screaming into this. The Asomugha hunt was a last gasp attempt at trying to win by outspending everyone and attempts at headline grabbing(something they’ve gotten Jetaholics addicted to)….Since they’ll not be able to splurge, they’ll have to actually evaluate talent and find it where others don’t see….WHAT THEY WERE TO BE DOING FROM THE GIT GO. There’ll be no more hiding behind headlines for Mr. Tannenbaum. He is now front and center……

42. By wayne on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

Ira, I’d even welcome your fave, Braylon back………….Passrush is important, but for the circumstances that the Jets find themselves in it is not the number one priority……World class passrush will do them no good, if the QB performs the way he did last year. the first, second, and third priority all wrapped up in one huge ugly ball is to get Mark Sanchez(gosh that hurt) right…..Greene’s 1,000yds were the most unproductive I’ve ever seen. When spry LT showed you what a lead back was supposed to look like. That special back improves blocking….It’s been so long that you guys seen it that you’ve forgotten. When those guys are blocking for a good one, blocking picks up……….OFFENSE PICKS UP……GQ WILL BE BETTER FOR IT…

43. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

wayne, the fact is it’s been so long since Jet fans saw anything resembling an explosive offense that some of them no longer even think it’s important to have one even when all the best NFL teams do, i.e. Spicer’s endless twisting of himself into knots to prove by way of statistics that a QB who can’t lead, looks terrified, can’t throw accurately, and has a knack for making the big mistake is somehow just around the corner from being great. This is a mindset (I’m tempted to say a mental illness) that I don’t think will pass at least until Rex, who’s about the worst choice offensively for a HC imaginable in this era’s NFL, is gone and forgotten.

44. By uncle joe on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

Yeah,Turner and Braylon are 2 very good blocking WRs and are both tall. Them on the field with a good blocking TE that can catch a pass if need be would be great for the run game. Maybe Holmes would restructure for a trade to maybe Wash., where we only pay half the Garentee. The Redskins would get him cheaper and the trade would be for us to just switch second rounders with them. I think that is fair.

45. By IRA on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

Just a word on Jaworski’s comments about Manning over Sanchez. Sorry to say i can’t beleive he will ever be 100% healthy and to me thats all you need to know. And remember Jaws was the guy who said Clemens was the best QB in the 06 draft. Enough said!

46. By scjoe on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

Wayne, the key word in your post above is “opportunity” so often lower end players on this Jets roster are not given the opportunity to show what they have. It is just a constant game of musical chairs and no one player seems to be here long enough to prove himself. What makes it worse is once they are released they usually find a home and a starting job somewhere else.

47. By Eli Rodriguez on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

Jet’s nation: I said, I wouldn’t post my wishlist but i couldn’t resist. SORRY! I would work on this deals—- A Big fast SAFETY *DE Cliff Avril (Lions)———-WR Harry Douglas (Falcons) WRLaurent Robinson (Dallas) RB Tim Hightower (Redskins) Although an ACL injury, why not Let McElroy compete for QB job and forget Peyton Manning, get Kyle Orton to back-up both Sanchez and McElroy. Believe it or not, i would invite Vernon Gholston to camp and see if he’s hungry or not.(ala… AAron Maybin) and dump below average players, we have alot of them, every penny count.

48. By scjoe on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

My two cents on Rex and whether or not he is capable of leading this team. As far as the Xs and Os, especially on defense, he is more then capable. Some of the intangibles, such as praising every player at every position and proclaiming them to be the best, absolutely has to stop. Playing favorites and being to much of a buddy to certain players has to stop, and of course the bravado has to be limited, maybe not stopped, but limited. Those are all very easily correctable but it has to become a mindset. So, for me, he is a keeper. I would like to see him play a larger roll in player selection though, but I don’t see that happening.

49. By scjoe on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

64, you are basing your statement on Campbell, Payne and Riley, strictly on how the Jets use them, or should I say do not use them. As Wayne stated, give them an opportunity and there may be a diamond in the rough in that group, you know like Cruz, like Colston a 7th round pick. You simply do not know what a player is capable of unless he is given an opportunity. The WR position is not rocket science. The fact that they are on the roster tells me someone sees potential in them, if that is the case explore it. If it is not the case cut them and move on.

50. By Allan O'Dane on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

It doesn’t matter if we get a WR,RB,QB,or LB..if the jets don’t shore up the O-line and the D-line we are not going anywhere. Get some guys via FA for a RG and and a passing rushing DE. We need the big guys up front to protect and open running lanes. A pass rushing DE would ease up on the crazy blitzes leaving the LB’s and Safeties more time for coverage. Use the draft for getting the BEST player available at #16. I believe Mike T. will re-do some contracts, players will be cut and hopefully we’ll have the money to plug in some holes via free agency.

51. By wayne on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

Can’t believe some of you guys who I’m sure are older than I, think that simply adding a safety to a poor passrush will improve this defense. IF PLAYS ARE REACHING YOUR SAFETY…..YOUR DEFENSE GOT PROBLEMS. WHETHER ON THE GROUND OR IN THE AIR. What will that safety do for the offense? I gotta remember though. You don’t want the offense fixed. Then you’d have to live with GQ. A tonic obviously too bitter to swallow.

52. By wayne on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

Don’t know nuthin bout this kid Logan Payne, but I’m gonna start stuff, an probably cause 64 to roll his eyes…………From now on I’ll refer to Mr. Payne as LogLIN Payne……Give a brother an opportunity…Never know what might happen.

53. By Vin on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

I think that Patrick Turner can develop into a Jericho Cotchery type reciever for us eventually

54. By Tom Spicer on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

As much as I want a great WR, S & RB you guys are right. The game is won & lost at the line of scrimmage & has been since the 1st game ever played. So unless we take care of these spots in free agency we need to go RT or OLB with the 1st pick & focus on RB, S & WR in the 2nd round or later.

55. By Allan O'Dane on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

And for my Vontaze B. supporters here…remember there was a guy with character issues too at the U. His name is Ray Lewis…and we all know how he turned out. And it’s not out of the question putting Scott at OLB. He did play that position with ravens. So with that said Scott/Vontaze/Harris/Maybin doesn’t look that bad. Just want Maybin to bulk up a little reminds me of a young Jason Taylor. If the Redskins don’t tag Landry or the 49ers don’t tag Goldson they could answer our S spot.

56. By Tom Spicer on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

Football 101 unless you protect your QB & unless you put pressure on the other teams QB you will lose. We need to go OLB & RT in the top of the draft.

57. By 40 year fan on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

Scjoe is right on his point about Bellichek and his 6 picks this year. Our goal has got to be to destroy that franchise ..( on the playing field) They are winning this war against us ..Unbelievably . We must focus all our efforts on winning our own division …Last year was a disgrace …

58. By 40 year fan on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

The New York Giants have a great model to use for Defensive draft choices ..Look how well a guy like Pierre Paul is doing in that system..# 1 We need a stinkin’ PASS RUSH ..We have nothing … 2 We need a few more Good recievers …3 We need to beef up the Offensive Line..4 We need another Tight end ..5 We need another quality backup QB …6 possibly a first round running back ..

59. By 40 year fan on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

Oh one more need … I think we need a better kicker too ..

60. By GaryC on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

the only guy that I like from that second tier of jet wideouts is campbell who has the size and speed,but who I thought the jets forgot about when he dropped that one sure touchdown in the exhibiton season.If anyone becomes the jets victor cruz it might be him.

61. By GaryC on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

to the posters who mention vernon carey that is a pickup I like,he is a huge guy, a so call mauler type who the jets haven’t had since maybe dwayne white and o’dwyer, a guy who will get in your face and he comes from the U SO HE HAS TUDE.

62. By Tom Spicer on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

For anyone who is against bring Barylon back I would love to hear why you think that is a bad idea. 1 we can probably get him for dirt cheap 2 he is a good player 3 you can get him on a 1 year prove yourself deal 4 he was hurt all last year so he is way under the radar 5 he is a big upgrade from Plax 6 you just addressed 1 of our 5 big needs for probably 1/3 of what you gave Plax last year. the 49ers got him for $1 mil we can get him for that & Plax was paid 3 times that

63. By GaryC on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

look, if the jets lose pouha there is a guy out there who can replace him with no problem who isn’t getting mentioned, Red Bryant of seahawks who has had a couple of very good years and is 28,still in his prime and he goes 6’4 and about 335.jets can have a great front four if they switch with Brockers as my number one Bryant, Ellis and Wilkerson,all young and big,could be the start of dominating the line of scrimmage.

64. By scjoe on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

Of all the recycled QBs everyone is talking about to come in and “compete” with Sanchez, the one with the most upside has to be Henne. That is why I believe we will see a lineup of Sanchez, McKelroy and Henne competing (for lack of a better term) this pre season. It will be very, very, interesting to see what happens if this “competition” is on the up and up. A true Jet fan will not be fooled by anything less then a true competition.

65. By scjoe on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, I agree with you on taking a look at Bryant at NT. I will give you another possibility complete with Sparano ties, Paul Soliai (Dolphins) a true NT still in his prime. And while we are looking at FA Dolphin lineman how about Merling or Langford at DE? Both only 26 with extensive experience as DEs in a 3-4.

66. By Allan O'Dane on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

Spicer, I’m with you getting Edwards back. Never should have let him go in the first place. Holmes/Edwards/Kerley…not bad..with kerley playing the slot that’s not a bad lineup. Plus Edwards won’t cost much. But to get back to my previous post..We need to get the O-line fixed along with the D-line. And it maynot even cost anything. Barring Slauson’s shoulder comes along during rehab, he’ll be ready by training camp. Rob Turner will be back in the lineup. As much as people hate wayne hunter he is a good back-up. Vlad D. will take another year or two to develop. Now, If those lineman are not ready we HAVE TO get some o-lineman via FA.

67. By Allan O'Dane on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

What scares me the most is that you know T.Brady is going to demand a #1 WR via FA, so that will make them even more dangerous. Mr.Bill B. will not make the same mistake twice with his D and will correct those issues too. Miami is a QB away from taking over the east and the Bills…well..who cares about the Bills. My point is those two teams will get better this season and oh yeah..the bears are a WR away from winning the NFC. So..Let’s see we have the Bears,SF,NO,GB,NE,SD,Pitt,NYG and Ravens..I see the pattern there..BALANCE on both sides of the ball. -NE on D. So unless the FO of the NYJ get their act together and start fixing our issues, It’s going to be a long season. Oh and 6 of those teams have an elite QB…just sayin..

68. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, I’m all for giving those 3 WRs a chance just like I wanted to give Clowney, Allison, Henry and others a chance. I just wouldn’t count on any of them to instantly replace Holmes, which it sounds like a few dreamers on this site think is possible. I also wouldn’t put too much faith in Edwards, who’s suffered a knee injury since we had him and didn’t sound too anxious to return. As for Rex’s, scjoe, part of why I disagree with you is that a lot of his shortcomings as a HC, including the ones you list, seem very rooted in “who he is,” which is something he’s always bloviating about, and the next sentence is usually, “I’m not going to change who I am.” I say fine, spare him the five-day-a-week psychoanalysis and just change HC’s instead.

69. By GaryC on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, merling is another guy I have thought about too,but with all the names being mentioned there is not enough money to go around. BUILDING THE JETS BACK MIGHT BE CALLED THE ROME PROJECT,SEEING THAT WASN’T BUILT IN A DAY EITHER.

70. By GaryC on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

wrestlemania, whopee, sure wish haystacks calhoun was still with us, that would really solve our nose tackle problems,he could put the big splash on Brady and all others.

71. By DKM on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

GaryC there is absolutly no way Pete is letting go of his best D Lineman, good one, would love to have him but they allready said if they cant get anything done on time they slap the Tag on him.
    Interesting thought about the 2 guys from Miami since they decided to switch to a 4-3 and Sparano being here.

72. By Karan on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

If the Jets do not pursue Edwards and god forbid he ends up with the Patriots, I would be so furious.

73. By Karan on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

Do you guys know any good blocking tight ends out there that due to be free agents or that we could possibly trade for?? you know like a ben hartsock kinda player, he was a darn good blocker for us because theres no doubt that matt mulligans not doin it

74. By Karan on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

Jets on offense just need to sign Braylon Edwards, cut Matt Mulligan, sign a good blocking tight end, cut Vlad Ducasse, re-sign Rob Turner, make Wayne Hunter a back-up, add some depth on the O-line and Mark some QB competition. Doesn’t sound too easy but this is essential.

I personally would like to have LT back, but I don’t think that’s going to happen.

75. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, I won’t say Campbell and Orton are future stars, but I don’t see how you can say Henne has greater upside than them. He’s never played as consistently well as those other two guys have in stretches and for those who love to make excuses for QBs, you’ll love Campbell, he set the record for OCs and O schemes in his time on WASH. What’s more, scjoe, I think you’re underestimating the “Jets are a laughingstock” factor. Picking up Henne wouldn’t scare anyone around the league, just bring on catcalls of “You hired MIA’s lousy HC, now you’ve brought in his lousy QB.” Maybe this is okay if Woody’s going to unload everyone in 2013 but otherwise you’re talking about very minor moves on a completely inconsequential, 6-10-at-best chessboard.

76. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, if this gets you excited, your standards are too low. From Walker on ESPN: “Henne started 2011 as MIA’s starter and was off to the best start of his career statistically until he separated his shoulder against SD in Week 4. He threw for 868 yards, 4 TDs and 4 INTs for the Dolphins. Henne also had a 79.0 passer rating, which was a career high.” Pretty underwhelming, plus he’s coming off an injury, and I forgot that it was his shoulder. (I don’t know if it’s his throwing arm or not.) I really can’t see why the Jets should waste a dime on a QB like this. In fact, why waste any real $ on anyone bigger than Orton or Campbell? We’re gonna need it in 2013 if we decide to replace Sanchez for real…which I’m still betting we end up doing…

77. By scjoe on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

64.believe me, I know what you are saying about Rex. I can just hear him as I sit here writing, “I am not going to change who I am” etc. etc.But that is just Rex being Rex. I honestly believe after everything that went down this season you WILL see him change who he is. But my point is, he has been successful as far as the Xs and Os are concerned provided he has the personal around him. He did it in Baltimore and he did it here his first two seasons. You know how all those Sanchez supporters cry about “getting the tools around him” so he can be successful? Well I think Rex deserves at least the same courtesy . Get that pass rushing OLB, that cover safety etc, then we can judge him.

78. By scjoe on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, make no mistake. I am not a fan of going out and attempting to “buy a championship” Aside from the Florida Marlins and the NY Yankees, I have seen it fail much more then it has worked. That said, signing a couple of select UFAs still in their prime like a Soliai a Merling or a Langford or even a Bryant, in conjunction with the draft, undrafted FAs, and via the trade, it can work. At the end of the day 53 players will have to be paid no matter how they were obtained.The only exception to that rule, for me anyway, would be Peyton Manning (if healthy)

79. By scjoe on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

64, on the WRs, that is my point. We DON’T know if any of those other WRs buried deep in the roster possess the talent necessary to displace a Holmes or a Burriss or any other starting caliber WR for that matter. How can we? Most weeks they are inactive or limited to STs if they are active. We both have seen what can happen when a receiver, in this case an undrafted rookie FA named Victor Cruz gets an opportunity to go out and show what he can do.He absolutely aced it. It can happen, it does happen. As for BE? Like any other FA coming off of an injury, you can only assume the FO does their due diligence before he is signed, does he want to be here? He will follow the money, trust me.

80. By scjoe on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

Alan O’ I am glad you alluded to the Jets FO when you stated they need to get their act together and not the HC. As I have stated many times, it is the FO, namely Mike Tannenbaum who has the final say on all personnel decisions, not Rex Ryan as some here are led to believe. With all the talk of it being a make or break year for Mark Sanchez and Rex Ryan that can also be said for Mike Tannenbaum. And rightfully so. Get it right Mr T. Your job may depend on it.

81. By IRA on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

Tom,
    I really liked Henry good hands and size. Problem he couldn’t get over was that he was slow and couldn’t get separation off the line.
    Allan,
    R. Turner is a FA and i see that he could be heading to Dallas to play for Callahan. Hope he decides to stay with the Jets.

82. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

As a case in point re the Jets and developing players, here’s Cimini today on the draft. First guy he lists is “Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama — It’ll be an upset if he lasts until 16, but he’s the best runner in the draft and could be worth a trade-up. The Jets could use a guy who averaged 5.9 yards per carry.” Hmm, someone should remind Cimini that McKnight averaged 6.4 per carry lifetime on USC with over 2,200 yds, but all Rex saw fit to do with him in his first summer camp was use him for stand-up fodder. Funny how Rex can’t seem to find any good one-liners in, say, the spectacle of a terrified QB throwing 2 INTs to the same DL guy on one of the worst teams in the league. scjoe, this guy needed to “change” somewhere around 5th grade.

83. By Allan O'Dane on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

IRA, Big mistake if the Jets let Turner go. Good lineman are hard to comeby, we have major issues on the right side of the line. Just saw Mel kiper and Todd Mcshay’s report on Vontaze B. This kid has all the talent but I didn’t know he was that much of a head case. I guess the safer bet would be Ingram if he is still available. But no need to tell you how mad I will be if Vontaze turns out to be the next Ray Lewis! There’s another LB at Boston College that’s flying under the rader Luchkely? not sure if that’s the correct spelling..But word is he is really GOOD!

84. By Allan O'Dane on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

And if anyone has noticed Holmes had not tweeted back to marks request….don’t think he found that to funny. It might have made matters worse.

85. By Tom Spicer on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

Can Slauson or Turner play right tackle? If Wayne Hunter is the strating right tackle for the Jets next year my hopes for our outcome will take a big hit.

86. By Tom Spicer on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

20 days until free agency !

87. By IRA on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

To me i reaaly don’t care if its Orton, Campbell or Henne. I want mark to succeed. We are not looking for a new starter we need somebody that can step in for a qt or two or a game or two and get us some wins. Any of the three can do that. I would be very surprised if Henne is not the guy. Orton will be looking for a starting job.

88. By GaryC on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, this is the big problem with football today, you could do everything perfectly as an organization and still be screwed because of the salary cap,on the other hand an organization no matter how much they mess up is helped every year by feeding off the top teams talent which they had nothing to do with.there should be something where if your organization does well you can maybe freeze your top twenty players and I also know the union would squawk at that.It is a little like imperialism in football form.

89. By GaryC on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, if none of those receivers can’t replace Burress they shouldn’t even be on the roster.It is not like they are beating out Jerry Rice.

90. By Dino on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

This lastest video of ryan really ticked me off. He obviously needs to concentrate on his job…..like not allowing the locker room to go out of control. “i dont have the pulse of the team”…..he just has the purse of his outside personal interests!!!!! I think he should have gone along with shotty to keep him company!!

91. By scjoe on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

64, on Henne vs Orton and Campbell… The latter two have been around long enough to draw conclusions about their upside. Both have been replaced in multiple locations and there is a reason for that. Henne has only started two seasons. He has all the tools, he can make all the throws, we have seen that. But most of all I think he was off to his best start this past season. I watch a lot of Dolphin games when they do not conflict with Jet games and to me he looked like he made real progress, even without a great supporting cast around him. As for the injury? I will use the same analogy as I do with Peyton, BE and any other FA coming off injury…Due diligence!

92. By scjoe on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

Just to continue 64. I don’t think the “laughing stock” factor will be an issue at all. Besides all of the above, Henne is a cold weather kid which is another plus playing where he will be playing, he don’t seem to get rattled in the face of adversity like another QB I have watched for three years. Sure, I may be wrong, but in my mind, all things considered he has more upside then the other two guys who have been frequently mentioned. Generally speaking, and of course there are exceptions, I feel the same about recycled QBs just as I do about recycled coaches. Usually there is a reason they become available.

93. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, if the Jets “lose Pouha,” there are many guys who can replace an average, 32-yr-old DL guy. This is typical of the inflation of mediocre talents that we’ve seen under Rex, i.e. even the most intelligent fans start buying into Rex’s hype of himself, the team, and its players simply by way of having heard it so many times. I’m not worried about replacing anybody among the vets other than Mangold, Revis, Holmes, Harris, and to a lesser extent, Moore, Brick, Keller, and Cromartie. Of the newer guys, I’d hold onto Kerley, McKnight, Wilkerson, Wilson, and Slauson if he’s healthy. Quite frankly, just about everyone else could go in favor of new guys and I’d lose very little sleep (kinda like if you replaced the entire U.S. Congress).

94. By GaryC on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

jet fan tom, guys like rich cimini wouldn’t know the difference between alabama and alabama a and m.they look at stats and say wow that would look good on the jets,too bad in pro football all teams are close to being equal and if your playing on a top college team you play a lot of patsies,so some of those stats can be a bit inflated.but that being said the way the jets have been selecting lately cimini might be on par with clinkscales.

95. By GaryC on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

allan o’dane, Kuechly is one of the highly rated inside backers,he will not last past the first round,not an under the radar player.

96. By Jimmer on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

The only QB that will be given a fair shot at beating MS is McElroy. When he ended up on IR, I was sure the coaches saw too much upside in him. The kid scans the entire field, Sanchez stares down the primary receiver until he’s sacked. I think MS can succeed, but staring down 1 guy is not how to do it.
    These other retreads some have mentioned, have been given opportunities, and came up short. Thank you all for not asking for a QB in rd1.

97. By Jimmer on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

WR’s cost too much and come with great risk,,,,, see Holmes.
    Many agree BE never should have been let go, but that DUI thing must have rubbed the FO the wrong way. But on the field, he played his tail off. I agree with the poster who said they’ll be upset if he does not return in 2012.
    Kerley really came on near the end of the season, but I just don’t see him as a starter this yr. But I think it’s about time we start seeing what the youth on the team can do instaed of FA hunting. We only keep 4wr’s due to all the specialists on defense. Remember the Clowney over Woodhead thing? The defense actually cost us a very good player on offense. Time to do the roster like the rest of the league.

98. By Jimmer on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

The DL/OLB spots are very unique to Rex. We have 2 of the best run stoppers in Pouha and Devito. But they are pretty limited to that. As is BS in the LB core. A truly dominant player is needed on the DL, like Jenks was. When we rushed 3, opposing QB’s, they could get a mani/pedi.
    BT and CP were all around good players, and could do almost anything, neither kept OC’s up late. But they never HAD to come off the field like BS did. Harris should never be off the field period, he is that good. Maybin and Westermann can rush the passer and that’s it. That’s not good at all. 1 needs to man up and play alongside Harris. We have no cash for FA’s, we need to make the younger guys more complete players.

99. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

scjoe and Ira, yes, the goal is for Sanchez to finally show he can be more than an occasionally effective game manager. But the problem is a lot of backup QBs in the NFL could most certainly beat him out of a starting job. And yes, recycled QBs aren’t likely to get us very far and if “Mark” doesn’t light up this yr without the “perfect conditions” that uncle joe bizarrely thinks he deserves, he will become a recycled QB himself — unless the excuse-makers on this site go into overdrive about the new OC, new system, maybe Rex gets fired and that has to be factored in, etc. Mark Sanchez at QB means never having to say you don’t have an excuse for his lousy play. And if I were Holmes, I wouldn’t have answered that wimpy tweet either!

100. By MIKE on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

Hate to be the negative one but there are quite a few holes on the team.

1) If Pouha doesn’t get signed that means Ellis moves up and from his limited play last year, for a guy built like Vince Wilfork he sure got pushed around a lot..

2) If Scott is released than who moves to MLB. Mauga can’t be the answer. Not sure how Scott not being back rumour started.

3) RT has a gaping hole. Hunter and Turner are both backups in my opinion.

4) Back up QB. Hope Henne is signed. NOt that I think he is that goods its the fact that he has history with Sparano and his cannon for an arm make him the threat that just might push MS to the next level.

5) Don’t get me started on pass rusher.

6) A ball hawk Safety.

7) Depth on O-line and RB.

101. By Jimmer on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

OL- I gave a quick review at seasons end of the 5 starters, only Moore was unblemished. I’m unsure of his contract status, but I’ve seen people mention a RG being drafted. In his defense, and I ripped him 2yrs ago. I did not see BM give up 1 sack in 2011. Sanchez should buy him a Bentley. BM was still recovering from the surgeries in his hips, so his run blocking wasn’t up to his normal. He’ll be a better run blocker in 2012, even if not for us.
    Slauson,,,, he really is a decent run blocker, fair in pp. Not exactly a weakness as some are saying.
    Brick-Good, which is all his contract is paying him.
    Mangold- best of the bunch, but had a rough yr.
    Was that Rich Kotite playing RT in 2011, or did that red bull make me see things?

102. By westcoastJET28 on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, Campbell has never been replaced by another starter. He has been a starter his whole NFL career. He only lost his latest starting job due to injury, and cause Oakland made a move to try and keep winning after they assumed he was done for the season. I believe Campbell could have been a really great QB by now but, every season he has had a new OC. If he were to have coaching consistency he could excel more then he has despite.

103. By Tom Spicer on Feb 23, 2012 | Reply

Jimmer, You didnt know according to the experts on this site the O line was great.

104. By Eli Rodriguez on Feb 23, 2012 | Reply

Which of our QB will learn Sparano system First and Best! I want to know from all Jets fans. If Mark Sanchez should have a season like last-how many games should Rex wait before inserting McElroy. MY MONEY is on McElroy to out shine Mark Sanchez.

105. By scjoe on Feb 23, 2012 | Reply

westcoastJET, my point on Campbell, who was traded by Washington to Oakland, and Orton who has also been around the block a few times, and Henne who the Dolphins will not even offer a new contract to, are not the long term answer for the NY Jets. If there was even the slightest sign of brilliance in any of them they would not be in the position they are in. That said, if one of them is brought in to compete with MS, in my opinion the one with the most upside would be Henne.

106. By scjoe on Feb 23, 2012 | Reply

Eli, the realistic answer to your question would be, you don’t go to many games before replacing Sanchez if he does not pick it up big time. Not after three plus seasons. But the political answer, which is the one most teams use, says you stay with him again for the whole season or until he sustains an injury, which ever comes first because he was a top 5 pick and they have a bundle of cash tied up in him.

107. By Row on Feb 23, 2012 | Reply

Talent only gets you so far in the NFL. Patrick Turner was a flash in college. He set records for USC and while he did not have Desean Jackson like separation, he clowned in the Pac 12.. Andre Allison absolutely dominated two preseasons ago and the Jets cut him. I welcome any Jet WR who’s willing to work. The issue isn’t the depth chart, it’s that if you’re not the first look in the play book, you are probably not going to get the ball. I remember the Favre-Clowney hook up for a TD. It was surely not a scripted play, but it was a TD. I want to see that in 2012. Go Jets

108. By Jimmer on Feb 23, 2012 | Reply

Spicer, excellent point. Too many people on this site think we have the same line as 2009.
    Eli, I agree on the QB curve. With a new OC, I don’t really see MS outshining McElroy. I’m not a fan of backups, but McElroy looked like the starter when he was on the field.
    I did think the kid we drafted with the weed issues a few years ago had promise though.

109. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Feb 23, 2012 | Reply

There’s also the psychodynamical answer, scjoe, which is that if the Jets start off poorly with Sanchez, Rex really has nothing to gain by pulling him. He’s not gonna be able to go to Woody in 2013 and say, “I know I was wrong on Sanchez but I pulled him when we were 2-6 and see, we finished 5-11 when I threw McElroy in there after ridiculing him in February.” Now, as for Sparano getting Sanchez out of there, THAT’S something else. He has everything to gain at yr’s end by telling Woody, “Look, I was realistic about this bust Sanchez, give me a chance as HC to see what we got on the roster at QB next yr or maybe even let me pick my own QB in the draft.” I think that scenario is extremely likely if MS doesn’t light it up consistently in ’12.

110. By Row on Feb 24, 2012 | Reply

In 09 we had a great pulling tackle who was average at best at pass protection. We had a blocking TE and used Keller almost exclusively on 3rd down. We had north and south runners who ALWAYS hit the hole and never cut back. We also had T-Rich. The rushing offense was top in the league. This front office and Rex directly made the decisions that led to 2011’s consequences..

111. By ELI Rodriguez on Feb 25, 2012 | Reply

ScJoe,Jimmer and JFS64= Thanks for the feedback! (Much wisdom)It seems that every question dealing with Our Jets opens the door to many more questions and what if’s. In a way I feel like a Boston Red Sox fan they had the Curse of the Bambino-we..will are just curse….lol!