Rex in Indy: No Promises but ‘We Will Get It Fixed’

Posted by Randy Lange on February 23, 2012 – 6:01 pm

For this year’s opening remarks at the NFL Combine, Jets head coach Rex Ryan offered a mea culpa.

“I know what everybody’s thinking — the infamous Super Bowl guarantee was here,” Ryan said of his remarks to the assembled media at the start of last year’s combine at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis. “in all seriousness, looking back, it was a huge mistake to make that guarantee.

“At the time, we were coming off two [AFC] championship games and I really thought it would be a thing that would actually motivate our team, to talk about the Super Bowl, to focus on the Super Bowl. But in hindsight, I think it put undue pressure on our team … and we really lost focus on what we do best. So, you know, it was obviously a big mistake.

“I go back and look at it. It obviously contributed to the season we had. Realistically, it was something I’ve been thinking about a great deal. Obviously we had a terrible season. And I’ll take full responsibility for it. And I think part of it, that guarantee really contributed to that.”

That being said, Ryan still has confidence in the Jets that in a few months will return to start work collectively on the 2012 season, and confidence in general manager Mike Tannenbaum’s team and his staff to bring in new Jets who will also contribute to a strong Green & White rebound.

“First off, no promises. There’s not going to be any promises. But I will say we’re going to have a team that I think’s going to have the potential to do great things,” he said. ‘I look at our team and we’ve got a great owner, a great staff, a great organization. More importantly, we’ve got a great group of players and I think we can accomplish anything we set out to do.”

One of the foremost topics on many fans’ minds is how QB Mark Sanchez and WR Santonio Holmes are getting along and how he’s so sure they can fix any differences that may have existed late in last year’s stumble to the 8-8 finish.

“Those two guys, they have a lot in common,” Ryan said. “They’re both competitive guys. They’ve had success in this league. Santonio had the catch, of all time maybe in the Super Bowl. Maybe Sanchez hasn’t quite had the success Santonio’s had obviously, being a Super Bowl champion, but he’s had some success.

“Their first year together, they did a lot of great things. In fact, I think they contributed to winning four games in the closing minutes. It’s not like they haven’t been successful before with each other. … I really think there’s enough in common right there that they’ll fix it.”

Ryan was asked about another phase of the offense’s comeback plans with new coordinator Tony Sparano and a set of new offensive coaches that have come in with him. He said he always admired Sparano, the Dolphins head coach from 2009 until late this past season, but wasn’t sure why.

“Then as I thought about it, you know what? That guy thinks he’s as tough as I am,” Ryan laughed. “That’s something I really admire about him. I schedule at least an hour a day with him. We’ll sit and talk football. He’s putting in our offense and things like that. And I figure if he can teach it to me, he can teach it to any of these guys. … It’s been a great experience so far.”

Ryan was also asked about the comments that rookie QB Greg McElroy made to an Alabama radio station critical of the Jets’ locker room makeup and said he was a little angry about them.

“But the thing that maybe makes us different than other teams is that we are truly a transparent organization, so you’re going to know a lot about the New York Jets in the great times but you’re also going to learn a lot about us in the not-so-good times,” the coach said.

“I don’t think it was the way maybe it’s portrayed out there that we had a huge problem. No question we had some problems with some individuals. But we’re going to fix it. And I know I’m the guy for the job and we’ve got the right players and we will get it fixed.”

Tags: , , , , ,

42 Responses to “Rex in Indy: No Promises but ‘We Will Get It Fixed’”

1. By IRA on Feb 24, 2012 | Reply

Rex told it the way it is. If anybody really believed they had a SB team last year you were kidding yourselves and Rex and his staff knew it. The 09 and 10 teams were much better. Now lets hope they can get back on track this year.
    Once again just hope they bring back McElroy and give him a fair chance to make this team.
    I think Sparano is going to get this offense going and his fire on the sidelines is something that this team needs. He will light a fire under their you know what.
    GO JETS!!!!!

2. By Bennett on Feb 24, 2012 | Reply

So this sounds to me like the are not going to make a QB move. McElroy is unlikely to survive with a HC comment like that, for a few dumb remarks on an obscure Georgia radio station he fiquered no one would hear. One player ole Rex is not going to back. So we will not get to see if has anything. Looks like Sanchez gets another free pass as the pampered, babied, endlessly defended, franchise goldenboy for a huge pay check and three years of below aversge play. Spicer , Karan and others will blame everyone and everything else and use stats to prove how good he is when anyone with common sense who watches him all season can see he is just not a good QB and is getting worse. I’m beginning to see why Jet 64 dislikes Ryan so much.

3. By Allan O'Dane on Feb 24, 2012 | Reply

The Jets lacked leadership. I do believe the Jets should have captains but only three. On offense it should be Mangold, defense-Revis, ST -mmm? . That’s it. Being a captain is earned. And if they need lessons on how to be a captain just look at some tapes on Jeter and Messier. (sorry met & islander fans). Mangold and Revis earned the right to be captains. I believe Rex just got Tony S. to be a watchdog. He doesn’t want to be the bad guy. Well Rex you are not here to make friends you are here to coach this team to a superbowl. At first you got me with this “Take one swipe at mine, I’ll take two swipes at yours”..But then you made it personal with other teams and lacked the players to back up that bravado

4. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Feb 24, 2012 | Reply

What fascinates me about this is the same thing I see in politics when somebody admits to a failed policy that his partisans defended to the death. So Rex finally admits his big mouth is a problem. Are we going to see an endless list of posts today from people apologizing for buying into his “huge mistake”? Somehow I think not. And I think what really bothers Rex about what McElroy said is that it showed up how out of touch Rex was about what was going on in the locker room, or how cowardly he was in doing anything about it. Actually, if McElroy is fed up with Rex’s worship of Sanchez and his cluelessness about what was happening in the locker room, he might have been trying to talk his way off the team. In which case he’s smarter than Rex.

5. By jim rossi on Feb 24, 2012 | Reply

I ask that you accept my apology for my angry comments a couple of weeks ago. I am unemployed for a little while and I suppose I put my expectations for myself onto the shoulders of the team. I am looking forward with excitement to the new season and will try to remember as Rex said , “to have fun”. After all when we get to the pearly gates I dont think St. Peter will care who we cheered for, ( except for the “Lions”… get it? ) ha ha. Good luck.

6. By wayne on Feb 24, 2012 | Reply

We won’t make you any promises, and that’s a promise…….He can’t help it…..If you don’t wait and see, that’s your fault……………………..Just get your team AND your QB ready Rex.

7. By Allan O'Dane on Feb 24, 2012 | Reply

I will give credit where credit is due. You changed the persona and culture of this team. But, you have also helped turn the NYJ into a laughing stock at the sametime. I think Rex is a great D-Cord. But his Head coaching skills are still raw. Just look at the Steelers-Ravens-49ers-Jacksonville-Bears..These teams have the players on their defense to backup such bravado. So, if you want to be a smash mouth team. Then get players that fit that style. Ground and pound is the thing of the past. It’s all about balance now. And if you look at GB,Texans,NYG it’s all about having a balanced attack. So I’ll sit here for another season..watching..hoping..praying..

8. By Allan O'Dane on Feb 24, 2012 | Reply

and if Rex can’t get it done..if we look anything like last season..I will be getting my “Bill Cowher” posts ready…

9. By Bennett on Feb 24, 2012 | Reply

Spicer : Sanchez is a human turnover machine, a very slow starter, an easy sack without pocket presance. He plays scared and dumps the ball to save himself from getting hit, and he still has not learned how and when you have to take a sack but opts for the dumb play, After 3 years he still can’t read NFL coverages. He has little respect from his teamates or the league for that matter, has been removed as Captain, and both his starting WR can’t stand him. His fellow teamates have unleashed an unheard of barrage of negative comments about him.and he seems to be roundly disliked. But he is a good QB ? I know bring on the stats ignore others and just forget about any common sense or the whole picture.

10. By russ on Feb 24, 2012 | Reply

Randy thanks for reply…My comment had more to do with type of players to draft, those with a lunch box mentality who do the work outside the spotlight…nothing worse than a star receiver or RB who needs the “ball” to be happy….Last year’s free agents seemed more intereste in their fame than the teams success and I think that character flaw ruined chemistry of the team…Hopefully Tannenbaum will not be sucker punched again by the whats in it for me type players…

11. By kleckofan on Feb 24, 2012 | Reply

I didn’t comment on the Combine/Draft article a few days ago, but since Rex brings up Tanny here I will ask one question: Who is responsible for this team being absolutely devoid of star power (with the exception of Revis and possibly Mangold)? Answer: Tannenbaum. I just don’t see any vision, this team goes from trying to hit one homerun in free agency after another. And failing.
    The number of needs and opinions expressed here by all the usual suspects proves how far away we are from being focused on being a perennial force and a class organization. I glad Rex has learned that all the bragging is a mistake, not glad to hear he’s being “taught the offense” again.

12. By robertpapalia on Feb 24, 2012 | Reply

No promises by Rex. I hope he sticks to his word about that. That would surely take alot of pressure off the team if Rex kept his mouth shut. We can only hope for the best on that one.

13. By carl on Feb 24, 2012 | Reply

At boy Rex ! Start the season by saying the right things!! I have confidence in Rex!! He will get us that ring !!! Go Jets!!!!

14. By Bennett on Feb 24, 2012 | Reply

One of my favorite old Parcells quotes : There was a time for awhile when QB were scrambling all over the place, seems like none wanted to stay in the pocket and try to make the play as called… it got to be ridiculous.The media just thought it was all so exciting and one of those media dummies all eager in his stupidity asked Parcells what he thought and how exciting it was for the game and Parcells said ” All I see when a Quarterback is scrambling is a busted play”

15. By IRA on Feb 24, 2012 | Reply

So Maybin got a RFA tender which is a good thing. Nobody is going to give up a first rd pick for him so he will be back. Now go sign J. Abraham as long as he doesn’t resign with Atlanta.

16. By Bennett on Feb 24, 2012 | Reply

I got so mad when the dumped Walt for that “genius” Walton I stopped watching for years. I was so shell shocked after the Kotite debacle (1-15) I couldn’t watch for years. I was so mad at the great Farve move I never watched a game that whole season. I’m getting so fed up with Sanchez that if he throws another interception to a LINEMAN I will be gone again untile his “era” is over. I always come back because I just love to suffer

17. By westcoastJET28 on Feb 24, 2012 | Reply

Soooo, when are we gonna hear that Sanchez restructured his deal to help his team?

18. By westcoastJET28 on Feb 24, 2012 | Reply

I meant CONTRACT not deal.

19. By Karan on Feb 24, 2012 | Reply

I believe in Rex Ryan, he’s a good head coach, one bad season doesn’t mean its the end of the world. Things will get fixed.

20. By Karan on Feb 24, 2012 | Reply

Bennett,you got to understand that the Schottenheimer’s system was not right for Sanchez.Heck,probably for no QB, that’s why he is the worst OC out there. He doesn’t know how to use the receivers, tight ends,anything.I am glad that man is out of New York now. I admit Sanchez must improve, but in honestly, i think Schottenheimer was holding him back.I don’t know how Tony Sparano will be, I really hope he will be a good OC for Sanchez, but take my word, anyone, and i mean even a defensive coordinator or whatever, is an upgrade of Schotteheimer. Personally,I think Mark has to improve,they need to loosen the chains on him more, they haven’t done that enough,he MUST play better,he knows he had to,I know he will,good things take time.Be patient.

21. By Karan on Feb 24, 2012 | Reply

*over Schottenheimer

22. By Karan on Feb 24, 2012 | Reply

Wasn’t Joe Namath a turnover machine as well?? Look what he went on to do in his fourth year…..

23. By Karan on Feb 24, 2012 | Reply

Call him whatever, the Sanchize, GQ, Sanchini, the kid, turnover machine evem whatever, he will rebound.

24. By Bennett on Feb 24, 2012 | Reply

Just watch if Sanchez starts off bad next season it will be ..oh it takes time to learn a new system… oh it takes time to get in sync with a new WR. Than as the season goes on and Sanchez sprints towards an all time turnover record.. Sporano stinks.. his systems stinks.. the recievers stink… the TE can’t block… the O line is not protecting him.., the team stinks.. the coaches stink.. the weather stinks.. New Jersey stinks…we should have gotten a new QB coach.. Ryan has to go…and on and on

25. By Another Tom on Feb 24, 2012 | Reply

Much debate concerning MS and His QB/football skills..Ideally a QB should be the best player on the team…or at least among the top 5. I wonder if MS is even among the top 10 Jets?

26. By T FRANK on Feb 24, 2012 | Reply

FIRST REX ADMITS HE DID NOT HAVE A GOOD PULSE ON THE LOCKERROOM AND THEN HE SAYS IT’S NOT AS BAD AS SOME HAVE SAID.
    CAN’T HAVE IT BOTH WAYS REX. MAN-UP AND BE THE HEAD COACH.
    COME ON REX!!!

27. By scjoe on Feb 24, 2012 | Reply

Ira, if Rex and his staff knew they didn’t have a legitimate contender in 2011 why did he make that statement at last years combine? And since he did make it, why retract it at this years combine interview? What he should have said is “all teams go into the season with that same mindset, not just ours” that would have been the more credible statement to make.

28. By GaryC on Feb 24, 2012 | Reply

COMEBACK PLAYER OF THE YEAR AWARD NEXT YEAR,MARK SANCHEZ.just thought I would wake up jet fan tom,scjoe and a few others.

29. By scjoe on Feb 24, 2012 | Reply

Bennett, if you have read some of my comments you would know I speak often about politics in this Jets FO. If McKlroy is released without giving him a fair, honest and open competition with MS it would prove my point ten fold. Just imagine how this thing would blow up if that were the case and McElroy goes on to become a star in this league with some other team.

30. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Feb 24, 2012 | Reply

Great stuff about the endless excuse-making for Sanchez, Bennett, not that it shouldn’t be apparent to everyone by now. As for Rex, I laugh every time he talks about how “tough” he is — wasn’t he bawling in the LR after the MIA loss? Tough HC’s don’t want to be friends with the players more than they want to get them to perform, and they don’t say things like “In retrospect it woulda been better to run the ball” after letting their OC screw up a 1st-and-goal in the championship game. But his comment on McElroy is really disturbing and if I was his boss, I’d have called him into my office immediately afterward and asked him if he thinks we track, scout, draft, and sign players just so he can make jokes about them. We need a HC, not a clown.

31. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Feb 24, 2012 | Reply

Pro football was entirely different in Namath’s day, Karan, particularly in the AFL — were you there to watch any AFL games live? And Joe showed amazing skills from his first game ever at Shea, which I was at. DBs could do whatever they wanted to receivers back then at any pt in the route, so comparisons on things like INTs and comp % are not really appropriate. But for all that, Joe had a fierce competitiveness in the face of crippling injuries, dirty players on other teams who wanted him out of the game, and brutal weather at Shea. Sanchez has shown very little of that, instead resting his mournful head on Braylon’s shoulder after losing and sending Holmes a Valentine tweet with shortbread cookies, which I’m glad to see Holmes ignored.

32. By scjoe on Feb 24, 2012 | Reply

Karan, comparing Sanchez to Joe Willie are we? There simply is no comparison, the two are light years apart. Just for starters Joe Willie was a leader and a winner, nuff said.

33. By robertpapalia on Feb 24, 2012 | Reply

The Jets need to have a quality qb to backup Sanchez in case he falls on his face. They don`t want to go ina nother season with Sanchez having free rein and no fear being pulled froma game if he lousy.

34. By scjoe on Feb 24, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, it wouldn’t take that much in 2012 to come back from 2011. (:-)

35. By GaryC on Feb 25, 2012 | Reply

jet fan tom, I will go one better with you on namath, what about otto graham,who came in from a new league,the AAFC and blew away the nfl,and who I really think were the proponets to airing it out,as they say.So like super bowl three when the jets shocked the colts it is no different to what otto graham did if not more so to the NFL.as they say you can look it up.

36. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Feb 25, 2012 | Reply

I don’t think a discussion of Graham, Van Brocklin, and such would attract much interest on this site, GaryC, especially when certain people who post here, including That Spicy Fellow Who Must Not Be Named, seem to think that sacks, drops, and lousy play-calling started when Mark Sanchez entered the NFL.

37. By Tom Spicer on Feb 25, 2012 | Reply

Bennett, Mark had 13 TOTAL TURNOVERS in 2010 when his O line blocked for him. How is that a turnover machine?

38. By Tom Spicer on Feb 25, 2012 | Reply

Bennett, Who is not looking at the whole picture when you refuse to admit the o line was terrible. Also you let Braylon Edwards & Jerrico Cotchery go for a 38 year old Derrick Mason & a 36 year old Plax who had not played pro sports in years? NO I look at the whole picture YOU DONT!

39. By Tom Spicer on Feb 25, 2012 | Reply

Another Tom, Mark in the top 5 or top 10 on the Jets? In no particular order. 1 Mangold 2 Holmes 3 Revis 4 Harris 5 Mark. Now I try to be positive now lets say I wanted to be as negative as possible about Mark. 1 Revis 2 Harris 3 Mangold 4 Holmes 5 Brick 6 Moore 7 Keller 8 Pouha 9 Cromartie (I have a hard time putting his name the guy wont tackle he turned a 10 yard pass to Victor Cruz into a 100 yard back breaking TD) 10 Mark. Being as negative as I possible can he STILL is in the top 10 of Jet players.

40. By Tom Spicer on Feb 25, 2012 | Reply

I could even say 1 Revis 2 Mangold 3 Holmes 4 Mark or 1 Revis 2 Mangold 3 Mark & not feel bad about it Holmes is overrated he is good not great. We way overpaid him & he has a bad attitude. In 6 years he went over 1,000 yards once & never had more than 8 TDS. Great WRS have 1,000 yards every year & hit double digit TDS multiple times. Before all the Mark haters say anything he played with Big Ben 4 years of those 6!

41. By GaryC on Feb 25, 2012 | Reply

jet fan tom, I only mention graham because you and others have said that the nfl was kind of pedestrian and the afl was the air it out league which in most cases they were but they did not invent the forward pass as you sometimes surmise.

42. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Feb 25, 2012 | Reply

You’re a little more rational than usual today, Spicer, and I agree that given his upside potential, Sanchez is easily still in our Top 10 players. But I just have to jump in again and point out that total yardage for WRs and TDs are only meaningful within how much they’re thrown to. Unless they’re being used mostly for short yardage, the key stat for WRs is and always has been yards per catch and Holmes was above-average in that department until he came to Green and White 5-Yard-Slant Purgatory. I got your point on Graham, GaryC, just didn’t think there was any point you and I talking ancient history. Maybe some day in a sports bar on the beautiful Indiana plains!