• Sat., Oct. 25, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Sun., Oct. 26, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EDT Live Jets Talk LIVE: Pregame Get your most compreshensive game preview as Jets Insiders Eric Allen and Amanda Pflugrad are joined by Vic Carucci of the Buffalo News. JTL kicks off at 11:30 a.m. from the Coaches Club at MetLife  Stadium.
  • Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Inside the Jets

• Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Extra Point - Only on SNY

• Wed., Oct. 29, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

• Thu., Oct. 30, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Sat., Nov. 01, 2014 3:00 PM - 3:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

QB Talk for the Jets and Others in Indianapolis

Posted by Eric Allen on February 25, 2012 – 5:15 pm

The Jets are in the market for a quarterback, albeit  most likely for one they hope doesn’t take too many snaps. There will be a backup vacancy when the league year commences on March 13 as Mark Brunell is an unrestricted free agent, but the NFL’s game of QB dominoes could have an impact on the Jets’ 2012 draft.

As we sit here in Indianapolis with the draft still a couple of months away, most pundits believe the Colts will use their No. 1 overall selection on Stanford’s Andrew Luck.

“I think Luck has more credentials, fewer questions about him, than any quarterback since John Elway,” Brian Billick, the NFL Network analyst and former Ravens head coach, said this morning. “Now it has to come together, but I think this guy is the real deal. … His arm strength is plenty. He is going to mature — he is going to grow still in that arm strength.“

Luck, who soon may call Lucas Oil Stadium his home, wants to continue to improve as he makes his transition to the next level.

“I think for me, it’s sort of quickening everything up in terms of release,” Billick said of Luck. “Those extra milliseconds count, especially in the NFL — guys are so much faster, stronger and bigger. Then making sure my drops are rhythmic, quick every time, and being consistent in that area.”

The Rams are scheduled to pick after the Colts, but most people believe St. Louis is going to attempt to trade out of its No. 2 slot. Brian Schottenheimer, the new Rams offensive coordinator and former Jets OC, already has a talented young signalcaller in place with Sam Bradford, and the Rams have lots of needs.

Many quarterback-hungry teams will are taking a long look at Robert Griffin III. Griffin measured in at 6’2⅜”, so height is not an issue. The Heisman Trophy winner was eager to start interviews with teams and ease any fears that his success at Baylor was based largely on Art Briles’ system.

“It’s not the traditional spread where it’s shotgun all the time, although we are in shotgun a lot. So were Tom Brady and Eli Manning in the Super Bowl, but that’s not the point,” RG III said. “It’s not a simple offense. I’m not going to try to make it seem difficult, but I will explain it to them whether its progressions, protections and what I’m doing out there. It’s not as simple as everybody makes it seem.”

“This is the best throwing athlete I’ve seen come out in a while,” said Billick of Griffin. “Far better than Michael Vick, in my opinion, far better than Cam Newton. I’m very intrigued. This guy has a pure throwing action for an athletic quarterback and he clearly has the intelligence to transition.”

Perhaps no person to play the position has ever been more cerebral than Peyton Manning, but there are no clear answers on his situation. Manning is still a Colt as of this weekend, but he will be highly coveted on the free agent market if he’s released and he checks out medically.

The Jets, who own the No. 16 overall selection, could be helped by the rise of a third quarterback and that player might be Texas A&M’s Ryan Tannehill. While Luck and Griffin III seem like sure bets for top-five selections, QB-needy teams could make a play to jump up and get Tannehill before the Green & White select or could place calls to GM Mike Tannenbaum to get to the Jets’ 16th spot.

Tannehill is a fascinating story himself, considering he led the Aggies in receptions his first two seasons as a receiver before switching back to quarterback and passing for 5,450 yards and 42 touchdowns.

“I’ve always thought of myself as a quarterback, so I was frustrated by it yet blessed to have the opportunity to be able to play another position,” Tannehill said Friday. “Not a lot of people get to contribute in another way to help their team and it was exciting for me to be able to do that. I learned a lot about the game, got a lot of experience. Even if it wasn’t at the quarterback position, I did get experience playing football and seeing the game out there. I learned a lot from it and fortunately I was able to get back to where I wanted to be, under center.”

The quarterback landscape will become more clear after free agency comes and goes. QB Matt Flynn stands to get a lot of money from someone and his offensive coordinator in Green Bay, Joe Philbin, is the new Dolphins head coach. The Jets aren’t really in the passing derby at the moment, but the game of QB dominoes will have some kind of impact on every team in the league.

Live Chat: Discuss Free Agency/Draft on Tuesday

Once we conclude the weekend here in Indy, we’ll make our return trip to Florham Park. With so much going on in the football world, newyorkjets.com editor-in-chief Randy Lange and I are going to host a live video chat on Tuesday. You can start getting your questions and comments in now.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,
Posted in Eric Allen | 34 Comments »

34 Responses to “QB Talk for the Jets and Others in Indianapolis”

1. By IRA on Feb 25, 2012 | Reply

Eric,
    Of course we have to wait and see what they do in free agency to have a feel who they might select at 16 if they stay put. Upshaw and Richardson will never get past the 10th spot. To move up to the 8th pick the Jets would have to give up their 2nd rd or 3th and 4th pick. Trading away picks has finally caught up to them. So i feel one of the top OL will be available for sure at 16 and they might even be able to trade down a few spots and still get one plus a few picks. I think that would be the smart way to go. Your thoughts?

2. By karan on Feb 25, 2012 | Reply

Do you all think it would be worth it to trade up to get Matt Kalil?? I don’t think teams usually do that for O-lineman. He is a LT though? Who’s a good RT that would probably make it to number 16? Would Mike Adams or Riley Reiff work?

3. By Karan on Feb 25, 2012 | Reply

Have you guys seen the recent pics of LaRon Landry? The guy looks huge! I was actually high on him before but don’t know now, he has had a history with injuries, and it doesnt matter how built you are (vernon gholston anyone??) lol, its the technique you use and how well you play your positon to the best, that being said, laron is a really great safety, but injury ridden which is unforunate, how would Michael Griffin sound? He’s a pretty good safety and not known as well as other top secondary players. I think that would be a great addition, the guys a free agent.

4. By Nick on Feb 25, 2012 | Reply

The jets should trade their second round pick to get Richardson. Greene is not the solution at running back. But the jets also need a new outside linebacker and safety. I think Sanchez will be able to throw far better if the running game works and therefore Richardson is really the most important. The defense is already really good against the pass because of Revis and Cromartie. The Jets should resign Pouha to stop the run and find a good new outside linebacker, I don’t know who.

5. By sal on Feb 25, 2012 | Reply

Oh stop with the tease already, say it say it, its going to cost alot, so what, the seats will be packed every game, give hope to all in the Jets world. Farve almost did it, whatever happened there we will never know. Payton or should I say the Mannings are football royalty. That collasp wont happen again.This is what this franchise needs no matter the cost. Just have a good back up , if Mark is part of the deal, hope not, but for this deal, so what>

6. By scjoe on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

I hope Tannehill is still there at 16, not for the Jets, but I would agree with Ira that a trade down would be very beneficial. I would love to see them go down about 4-5 slots and pick up a Glenn, or a Lamar Miller then address OLB and safety in the 2nd round. Miller would be my choice followed by OT, OLB, safety, OG, safety again and LB again, although it wouldn’t break my heart to see them selecting Drew Butler (P. and son of Kevin) or Carson Wiggs (K) with their #7 or even better, another trade down in the latter rounds and selecting both.

7. By punchie on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

i agree with trading back for afew xtra picks

8. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, it’s not that I think we should go after big, expensive FA’s so much, it’s that Rex announcing in advance that we’re not going to says a lot about the position that he and Mr T are in. And I think that position is that this is gonna be a “Moneyball”-style yr somewhat like Rex’s 1st, picking up okay guys on the cheap and hoping to fill a lot of holes with them. It’s nice to finally have a decent amount of picks but the guys we take will for the most part pay off in 1-3 yrs. So what it all adds up to a is a low-cost, relatively low-turnover yr before the really big changes are made, if they are. From Woody’s perspective, I can’t say that’s a bad approach. The real, FO-worthy HC that I think we need will change everything anyway.

9. By John from Oz on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

Bring back Vinnie Testeverde!

10. By Frank on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

Ira…we have so many holes, no depth and little cap space so we need to start keeping our draft picks and pick the best player available regardless of position thats the way you build a franchize not constantly reaching for need. That’s why the Jets drafting has not been good. Sanchize-Not needs to take a pay cut. I am not sure what his cap number is for next year but I really don’t want TanWoody restructuring his contract in a way that makes it difficult to get rid of him if he bombs again this year.

11. By GaryC on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

do not like seeing that my pick Brockers is being projected into the top ten of draft.doesn’t look like he will be there for the jets selection, looking forward today to see Alshon Jeffrey my backup pick to Brockers,and see if he will be worthy of the jets first pick.6’4 wide receivers with giant wingspans don’t grow on trees,jets better look at this guy.

12. By SCfromNY on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

This draft appears heavy with quality pass rushers. IF I can get a safety in FA I would move down to pick a LB and then some OL help. It will not be difficult to find a QB to either replace or push Sanchez. We also should in the case of Sanchez call this website a “Stat Free” zone.

13. By russ on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

Mc Elroy is a winner like Montana who was drafted in 4th round…perhaps we should be looking at substance more than form…just a thought….

14. By IRA on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

Guys,
    I just can’t understand how this team cannot find itself a real pass rusher who brings it every down and keeps DC’s up at night to gameplan against. Please explain to me how they have gone 6 years and still have not found one. Pace is a nice player but nobody thats going to wreck a game. Maybin was a find but is a situational player. When and who are they going to get to get pressure on the QB like the Giants do?

15. By paul on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

I suggest we put Sanchez out there and see what offers we get. He’s not our future.

16. By GaryC on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

that is why in some cases I say some of these announcers don’t what they talk about,they are talking about Nick Toon, AL’s son and rich eisen says al toon was taken in supplemental draft,he should have said it was Rob Moore taken by jets in supplemental draft.

17. By Samuel on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

I see that the Jets have an interest in a quarterback, ok wouldnt Peyton Maaning be a great pick up to make a run at the Super Bowl now if he is healthy?

18. By Samuel on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

I agree with u Paul, trade Mark Sanchez to the Seattle Seahawks for some picks or there first pick after Peyton Manning is secure as a Jet! The Jets should use there first pick to try and get RB Trent Richardson and S Mark Barron. Your thoughts on that move.

19. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

…but maybe you’re right, sal, maybe Rex’s talk about FA’s is all deception and we’re really gonna go after Manning. If he was healthy I could see it, considering what a little brother we are to the Giants at this pt, but it’s still risky. On the up side, it would say the Sanchez Experiment is over. I can’t say 2 yrs of a healthy Manning with McElroy learning behind him and then Mc or a new QB in the draft would be less fun to watch than what we had last yr, that’s for sure. Funny about Toon/Moore, Gary Glitter — I mean, C…

20. By scjoe on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

The NFL draft is such a crap shoot, particularly in the middle of the 1st round where the Jets are picking, that it makes it almost impossible to predict which player can come in, contribute immediately and make a major impact. Last year SF, Denver and Houston hit home runs with Smith, Miller and Watt respectively. You are right Ira, it has been a long stretch since the Jets have been able to accomplish that feat. I just don’t want to see them reach this year to try to accomplish it. That said, going with the best O line prospect available, or trading down and still getting the best O line prospect available is the way to go. They can then address OLB in rd 2, less chance of a Gholston, I mean mistake.

21. By GaryC on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

jet fan tom, is that a ziggy stardust reference,my stars have not aligned as of yet.

22. By Allan O'Dane on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

If we could get 1 or 2 of these players via FA it will plug up the holes we have:

1.S= Landry/WAS or Goldson/SF
    2.G= Gaithers/SD Nicks/NO
    3.LB- Williams/TX – Johnson/BAL – Jarret/BAL
    4.DE= Abraham/ATL – Allen/MIN – Mathis/Freeney/IND
    5.RB= Lynch/SEA – Hillis/CLE – Forte/CHI – Rice/BAL
    6.QB= Campbell/OAK – Orton/KAS – McNabb
    7.WR= Edwards/SF – Colston/NO – Wayne/IND

Now I know some of these players are RFA’s and some will get the franchise tag, but as you can see that’s just a few players right there who could help us turn the corner or at least upgrade what we have.

23. By 40 year fan on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

We need to make a deal for Leinhart from the Texans , He is a better QB than Sanchez …We could work a deal for him ,..and he would have a great shot at starter …Nobody realizes that he could be great …

24. By jetfan on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

we should pick olb-upshaw or ol-mike adams since kalil will most likely be gone @ 16 and get wr-sanu from rutgers in 2nd round

25. By BALDY on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

BRAYLON EDWARDS= If he’s healthy wouldn’t he be a great fit for the Jets? He knows the team, he knows the QB and should come at a good price.

26. By Mike V on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

Leinhart shouldn’t be a consideration, he simply can’t stay healthy… even he is resigned to the fact that he is injury prone and likely done in the NFL. We need to pull the trigger and sign Manning as soon as we can… move Sanchez to whoever will take him and use whatever picks we get for him to try to get a speed rusher DE, or a saftey, or a more mobile outside LB, or a deep threat at WR, or another RB, or some offensive line help. I don’t care whether we draft them, sign them as FA’s, or package picks to get them! There are a lot of interesting possibilities out there for the Jets right now. A little creativity by Rex, Mike, and Woody and we just might make a run at our second SB in 2012.

27. By Anthony on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

It seems as though the Jets have a lot of holes to fill. If they trade Bart Scott that’s one more shoe to fill. What are the Jets plans for getting an outside linebacker/defensive end, a right tackle, a safety, a wide receiver, another running back, and now another inside linebacker?

28. By Anthony on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

i hope the Jets do not go after Peyton Manning, one hit to the neck area and the Jets will be paying for him to sit on the sideline for the next ten years. Not that they would sign him to a ten year contract, but one year of his salary would take ten years to pay off.

29. By Sharpe on Feb 28, 2012 | Reply

I say we make a trade with the packers for Flynn and Sanchez. Pretty sure Matt would look good wearing green and white. We shouldnt trade up any draft picks.

30. By john on Feb 28, 2012 | Reply

I agree with ira – im sure this is ira from staten island. If we have a chance for
    upshaw it will be worth it. he might fall to the 16 spot ,also there is ingram from
    sc.

31. By TheCoachRob on Mar 1, 2012 | Reply

Although the Jets have defensive positions that need to be addressed, they must improve the offense first. If Richardson is available at a reasonable trade-up price, Tanny would be insane not to consider it.
    Else…draft Upshaw/Ingram and then move up to get David Wilson..if necessary.

I sincerely believe Sanchez, after the inspirational Jets West and other mini-camps, PROVED that he is not a pass first QB. And there is nothing wrong with that! However, the Jets must re-establish a strong running attack in order to have success with him as QB.

The third focus IS developing some good YOUNG WRs….we are hurtin’ in that department.

32. By ed on Mar 2, 2012 | Reply

Give Sanchez one more year with good protection and good running backs and we will be in the AFC championship again.

33. By nick on Mar 5, 2012 | Reply

By sal on Feb 25, 2012 | Reply

I SECOND THISSSS

34. By SOCALJETFAN on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

Hope they can get Matt Kalil offensive tackle from USC,that would benefit SANCHEZ and get the JETS back to the playoffs,also need to re-sign Braylon Edwards,he had good chemistry with SANCHEZ,hope they let go Plaxico;he was to slow no speed…