• Sat., Oct. 25, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Sun., Oct. 26, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EDT Live Jets Talk LIVE: Pregame Get your most compreshensive game preview as Jets Insiders Eric Allen and Amanda Pflugrad are joined by Vic Carucci of the Buffalo News. JTL kicks off at 11:30 a.m. from the Coaches Club at MetLife  Stadium.
  • Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Inside the Jets

• Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Extra Point - Only on SNY

• Wed., Oct. 29, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

• Thu., Oct. 30, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Sat., Nov. 01, 2014 3:00 PM - 3:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

Upshaw, Ingram on the Cutting Edge in Indy

Posted by Eric Allen on February 27, 2012 – 11:47 am

You can never have enough pass rushers in the National Football League, and it’s part of Rex Ryan’s DNA to attack opposing quarterbacks. Depending on what happens in free agency with Jets veteran Bryan Thomas, there may be a starting vacancy available at outside linebacker across the formation from Calvin Pace when the draft commences in April.

“The defensive ends, outside linebackers, I think the value is probably going to be in the second round if some of these guys start to fall a little bit,” ESPN’s Todd McShay told newyorkjets.com at the combine. “But if Courtney Upshaw, another Alabama player, were to fall to 16, it would be hard to pass on him.”

As far as edge pass rushers are concerned, most draft experts believe Upshaw, North Carolina DE Quinton Coples and South Carolina’s Melvin Ingram are the top three talents in the draft.

“I do think Coples could go [early]. He’s very inconsistent on tape and much better in 2010 than he was in 2011, and doesn’t really fit the Jets’ scheme,” McShay said. “Melvin Ingram, another shorter defensive end who projects as an outside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme, I think he’ll be off the board somewhere in the top 10, top 12.

“And then Upshaw shortly thereafter, so if he does fall it would be an interesting decision whether to pass on him. He’s a little bit shorter, too, but he’s powerful, he seals the edge, he’s strong versus the run and he has a lot of power moves and shows a lot of flexibility getting to the quarterback.”

Playing the “Jack” linebacker at Alabama, the 6’1”, 272-pound Upshaw led the Crimson Tide with 8.5 sacks and his 17 tackles for loss ranked second in the Southeastern Conference and tied for 14th nationally.

“It’s a mind thing to me. Honestly, growing up playing football, I always wanted to be physical,” Upshaw told reporters at the combine. “As a young guy, always going in and throwing my shoulder into something, it was the fun part to me. Just going out and being tough and physical is something I love to do.”

Under Nick Saban, the Crimson Tide captured a national championship last season and their defense was a major reason why. Upshaw, S Mark Barron and ILB Dont’a Hightower will all play on Sundays in 2012 and on Saturdays they competed against each other in the production department.

“We have this board where the production we have in the game, our position coaches gave you points for getting a sack, tackle for loss, a stripped fumble, stuff like that, and it all adds up at the end of the year,” Upshaw said, adding that Hightower “topped the chart, Mark Barron was second and I was third.

“Those games where you really don’t have as much production as the next player, you were kind of like ‘Oh, man, my coach cheated me’ or something. He won it fair and square, but I’m proud to say I was in the top three with those top two guys, so it was a fun competition.”

Upshaw will now compete with South Carolina’s Ingram to be the first hybrid edge rusher selected on draft weekend. While Upshaw would like to get down to 270, the 6’1” Ingram dropped 12 pounds since the Senior Bowl and weighed in at 264 pounds at the combine.

An All-SEC performer for the Gamecocks, Ingram has teamed up with one of the NFL’s top young rushers to help him prepare for the draft. Von Miller, the No. 2 overall selection of the Denver Broncos in 2011 who racked up 11.5 sacks in year one, and Ingram have been working out together in California.

“Me and him, we just try to compete against each other every day,” Ingram said. “Obviously he was the Defensive Rookie of the Year, so I just try to pattern my game after him because I feel like he’s had a lot of success in the NFL.”

Last season Ingram did it all for South Carolina, leading the team with 10 sacks and 15 tackles for loss. He contributed in the scoring department, too, with three touchdowns and also picked off a pair of passes. His 21.5 career sacks are fourth in school annals.

A former high school point guard, Ingram believes he’ll help lead a pro defense.

“They’re going to get a hard worker, a passionate player of football, a leader, vocal and leading by example,” he said.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,
Posted in Eric Allen | 83 Comments »

83 Responses to “Upshaw, Ingram on the Cutting Edge in Indy”

1. By scjoe on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

I am not sold on Upshaw, but I think if Rex has his way (which he wont) Upshaw would probably be the pick if he is there at 16. Can anyone say GHOLSTON? I think the safe bet at 16 is O line, or trade down for same or for Miller. Miller is still the guy who I think can come in and make an immediate impact, and he would be a relatively safe pick. If that were the case and then they proceed to pick up an OLB or O linemen with that additional pick it would be hitting it out of the park.

2. By scjoe on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

Spicer, just to keep current. Kerley had 29 receptions and I think it would be ballpark to give him about 5 drops which totals 34 targets then of course you have to factor in the overthrows and inaccurate passes in which he had no chance, so, would it be fair to say “he really didn’t show much” What about if that target total was doubled, do you think he would have made more of an impact? I do. Unlike a RB, WRs productivity is totally dependent upon the QB. It was, is now, and always be my philosophy that the QB makes or breaks the WR. I think based on what we saw last season Santino Holmes would agree.

3. By robertpapalia on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

Wouldn`t surprised me a bit if the Jets traded up in the draft to get a pass rusher. Rex is still a defensive coach at heart.

4. By steven on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

Either one of them would help the Jets. Two pass rushers and somebody that can knock fear into tight ends coming across the middle would be nice. Gettng to Tom Brady before he can throw and knocking out his tight ends would get the job done. Poe looks like the Big Guy Kris Jenkins was hoped to be. Get these guys on defense and a 6’6 tight end who can block.

5. By 40 year fan on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

Now I like what I am hearing concerning a PASS RUSH …Hello ?? Of course we need one ..We should concentrate the entire draft on it ..It is THAT important ..We all saw what Pierre Paul did for the Giants right ? Championship ..I know we have other needs , but this is our biggest need… We can get a veterin reciever or two ..and I wouldn’t mind having our old veterin recievers back ..Ala J Co , or Braylon, or both ..

6. By 40 year fan on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

If I were Coach ,…I would treat the situation of a Pass Rusher as a life or death situation …Do not come out of this draft without one ….

7. By SCfromNY on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

My perfect draft . . . Upshaw in the 1rst, Barron falls to the 2nd, and OL and WR addressed in the remainder. This would be coupled with a FA safety and LB along with bringing Braylon back. Henne and McElroy make The Sanchise” third string.

8. By IRA on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

I would not pick Ingram. I normally do not like taking players that are tweeners and you have to teach them to play another position. Look what happened with VG. I will stick with it and say either take DeCastro or trade down and take Glenn. Its a much need position and the safeiest and smartest pick you can make. I think both are going to turn out to be big time OL in the NFL.

9. By SkanEd on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

I would like to hear some thoughts about moving Maybin to the Strong Safety position since speed is his main asset. Although he does not have prototypical speed of a safety he is fast enough to stay with tight ends and at 6′-4″ has the size. As a rookie he was timed at 4.74 in the 40 vs Gronkowski’s time of 4.81. He could still continue to rush the passer from the SS position and thus be a full time player vs situational. With that in mind, since I don’t think they will reign Thomas, OLB skould be the primary pick in round one of the draft.

10. By uncle joe on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

Upshaw would be a MISTAKE. I hope he,Ingrim and RB Richardson are gone by 16. Mark Barron needs to be the pick. We haven’t had a serious Safety in a LONG time and he would solidify our secondary.

11. By uncle joe on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

Poe is not as good as the Combine is making him out to be.Derrick Wolfe,however will be the BEST 3-4 End from this draft! If he slips to later rounds and we got him,,,FUGETABOUTIT!!!

12. By GaryC on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

first things first, I do not want Rex drafting poe because I do not want to hear from Rex that phrase, YOU CANNOT TEACH SIZE,had enough of that last year when he talked about Ellis,guys who have really looked good at the combine are Nick Perry of USC, Kuechly of Boston college, and my under the radar guy, Shea Mcclellin, I did not like Brockers, I thought he would show better,but Kuechly showed so well, I would mind him and Harris as our two inside guys, like the 49ers have bowman and willis,and he looks like he has enough speed to cover a tightend down the field,something the jets safeties haven’t shown they could do.

13. By uncle joe on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

If that nut,Burfict slips to us in the second round do we take him?

14. By 40 year fan on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

Our offense can’t be a get rich quick scheme ..How do we build a team when everyone is gone every year ? We have to build trust ,loyalty , and familly ..We should have stuck with J Co, and Braylon ..2 straight years of championship games ..

15. By Jimmer on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

SkanEd, I’m with you on getting Maybin a starting spot. I was leaning on a LB spot though. I just don’t know if he can run those speeds all day long.

16. By scjoe on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

Well, a couple of “my guys” performed pretty well at the combine. Yes, I know, it is only numbers and it is only the combine. But Lamar Miller posted the fastest 40 time for RBs at 4.4 and anytime you can get a 212-215 lb RB who can break tackles AND get outside, you better consider him, especially when you don’t have a true #1 The other guy? Poe, 44 reps at 225? That is insane. I originally thought that a trade down to get this guy would have been ideal, now? it looks like he will be long gone. This guy is what a 3-4 NT is all about.

17. By Allan O'Dane on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

SkanEd, None of our LB’s can cover the proto-type TE’s. Too slow. Thomas won’t be back. Pace/Scott are average at best. Harris is our run stopper. Maybin looks like a younger Jason Taylor. Just add some weight and gain some strength, maintain his speed and we’ve got ourselves a passrusher. Now, If we add someone like a Landry/WAS or Goldson/SF that would solve the S issue. These guys can cover, hit and play at the line. If the NYJ sign say a guy like Upshaw/Ingram/Vontaze then you plug those guys right in. Vontaze is more a ILB which he could play next to Harris. Move Scott as an OLB. So my wish list for our LB corp would be Scott/Vontaze or Upshaw/Harris/Maybin. Scout report on Vontaze is that he is a headcase…but the Ravens want him bad

18. By scjoe on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

I think a guy who helped himself a great deal at the combine would have to be Luke Kuechly. In my opinion he is the next coming of Zach Thomas. A smart, instinctive tackling machine who runs a 4.5. This kid will start from day 1 and be in the ROY running.

19. By scjoe on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

I agree with all of you who are concerned about getting a passrusher at the top of the draft. But if Pohua is not resigned a guy like Poe would instantly make the OLBs better passrushers. I know there is more of a risk on the defensive side of the ball at the top of the draft, but I think Poe has to be considered if Pohua and Ellis are not retained. Maybe even if one of the two are retained as well. Remember, if you are going to run a 3-4, a block eating NT is a must

20. By wayne on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

So these are the players you guys are raving about…..6’1″ 270…..Who are these guys going to be able to cover? More one dimensional players. What the Jets already have. These are not the killer pass rushers jets need…..If these are the choices, they’ll be drafting Richardson if he’s available…………..Ira, tweener is right….I don’t believe these guys can run like Hugh Green either…..These are not pass rushers. When you’re that big you can dominate college. Doubt they’ll have the athleticism to do same thing in pros. ……….

21. By wayne on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

That is not what a pass rusher looks like…..Take a look around the league…..Not a real big guess…….Height, long arms, speed……………………..Squat and big does not a good pass rusher make.

22. By Frank on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

Ira I am with you no RB’s no WR’s we need line help and that is the only way you win. Look at all the guys the Pats pick and how deep they are on OL same with the Giants who take it one better with great depth on the O-Line and D-Line. DeCastro is the pick. You almost never go wrong with first round lineman picks. I am not sold on Barron either I think Griffin in FA is the way to go there and resign either Pool or Leonhard.

23. By Sect 123 on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

We need a right guard and right tackle more than anything., followed by a safety who can cover a tight end. We generate sacks with the scheme, and designated pass rushers, i.e. Maybin. The O-line protection was atrocious, and was the cause of the locker room controversy. When wide receivers start calling out offensive linemen, there is a big problem. A pass rusher would be nice, don’t get me wrong, but if you can’t protect the QB, you have no chance to win.

24. By wayne on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

Now who is going to do the Jets a solid and take Bart Shot off their hands? One more bad contract by the man who prefers quality to quantity…….A aunold would say, ‘he’ll be bok”, shot that is…………..They’re trying to give contracts away now. What’s the likelihood someone will take him off their hands? Yes you may include negative integers in your calculations.

25. By westcoastJET28 on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

Everybody should join in on this chant slash protest, “Restructure Sanchez, Restructure Sanchez, Restructure Sanchez!”

26. By efxm0nk on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

Upshaw with the 16th unless by some miracle Trent Richardson is there or DeCastro is there. I would take Richardson over other two and trade Greene, whose only production was due to our former amazing O-Line, for a 3rd or 4th. We need a pass rush and safeties REAL bad but we can address both in FA if we continue to free some cap space. It won’t be easy or cheap but we can get Mario and that would be a great answer to pass rush issues. My ideal setup is, we get Mario in FA, Richardson in 1st, or DeCastro 1st, Barron in 2nd (whose stock is dropping due to injury) and Doug Martin in 3rd. Maybe try Griffen on FAs if cap is ok, bring back Braylon for cheap, and spend the rest of the draft on other pass rush options.

27. By Tom Spicer on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

SCfromNY, Yes Henne & McElroy are better then Mark. Henne the guy who in 5 years has never had more than 15 TDS lets sign this guy up right away. UM I think Mark had 32 TDS this year lets cut that number in more than half with Henne at the helm we will be great next year. Or lets start McElroy he is the next Tom Brady THERE IS A REASON HE WAS A 7TH ROUND PICK! You have a better shot of winning the lotto then you do of him being the next great thing.

28. By Tom Spicer on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

SCJoe, “It was, is now, and always be my philosophy that the QB makes or breaks the WR.” Yes if you have a great QB which we dont have. It could also work the other way like off the top of my head. The Vikings had Randy Moss & Chris Carter they made Duante Culpepper, Brad Johnson, Randall Cunningham & Jeff George look way better than what they were.

29. By Tom Spicer on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

The best 2 guys to come in & compete with Mark for the starting job are Jason Cambell & Kyle Orton if the Jets bring in anyone else besides one of these 2 it would not be a real competition.

30. By westcoastJET28 on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

Wow, I was totally out of the loop in my picks for S. I just found out 2 of my top picks for S are staying in school. I had a feeling Bacarri Rambo was gonna stay for one more year but, I really thought Robert Lester was gonna leave. Now we have to wait another year for either one of them. I feel pretty dumb for not keeping up with my footballl news. I think this was announced a while ago too. It’s a miracle nobody called me out on this.

31. By westcoastJET28 on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

Spicer, I have to agree with you about Campbell & Orton being the only FA’s out there to really give MS a push or to superseed him. I don’t see any good in bringing in Henne, I believe it would be the same scenario with Brunnell. MS would know that he is still the starting franchise QB if we brought in Henne. I don’t believe he would be real competition but, I guess an ok back up. If we can’t affor Campbell or Orton, I think we should give Brady Quinn, Chase Daniels, or even David Garrard a good look. Other options to think about are Shaun Hill and David Carr but, that is for strictly back up purposes not real competition.

32. By scjoe on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, do not mistake Poe for Ellis, or Gholston. Lets not get carried away with the fact there have been a few guys who were workout freaks at the combine and those numbers did not translate to the playing field, because for every one of them there are 100s that do translate.

33. By scjoe on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

Spicer, who made who in NE? Moss or Brady? Brady literally reincarnated Moss’s career. He didn’t have numbers like that anywhere. I will give you the benefit of the doubt though and rephrase what I said, “generally speaking” the QB makes or breaks the WR. Of those other QBs you mentioned, George was a headcase, but he had a great arm and a quick release, if he had his act together he could have been much better then what he showed.

34. By scjoe on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

Spicer, once again we have to disagree. Bringing in recycled QBs like Campbell and Orton is not the answer, particularly not the long term answer. Henne on the other hand “could be” a long term answer. He has all the tools and he was having his best year before he went done with injury. He is younger and has more in the way intangibles and more upside then the other two combined. Now, remember, I said “could be” if he gets the opportunity and fails to capitalize he is still a more viable b/u then what we had.

35. By Tom Spicer on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

The Jets with another great front office move they tell Scott he could seek a trade UM nobody is going to trade for a 32 year old MLB with a $4 MIL guarenteed contract for this year. Last year they guarnteed his contract for this year cause he restructered last year. No one will trade for him & we are stuck with a unhappy MLB cause he now knows we dont want him. GREAT JOB MR.T & REX!

36. By Tom Spicer on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

Sect 123, What’s up? I sit in section 124 row 27 seats 10 & 11. Your quote “The O-line protection was atrocious, and was the cause of the locker room controversy. When wide receivers start calling out offensive linemen, there is a big problem. A pass rusher would be nice, don’t get me wrong, but if you can’t protect the QB, you have no chance to win.” Is 100% right. We need a right tackle before anything.

37. By BobbyD on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

Why not consider signing Abraham. That would give us the pass rush and free up the first pick. We could also sign a free agent safety. That would leave the first round for a DT (poe) OL (Glenn) or maybe we could trade down and get a late first and two seconds. That could fill in alot of holes.

38. By Karan on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

I read somewhere that the Jets might be keeping Vlad Ducasse. Why can’t they just give up on him? Tannenbaum is one stubborn guy.

39. By Russell on Feb 28, 2012 | Reply

I’ll admit, I’m a Courtney Upshaw fan. Would look good to the Jets at #16. If not Upshaw, then trade down or select OT/OG Glenn from Georgia. Don’t forget, the Jets could sign a pass rusher like OLB Spencer from Dallas. As to the DB situation, sign one free agent and draft another. Now onto Bart Harris. Does Harris want to stay with the Jets or do the Jets want to get rid of him? Does anyone know where Mark Sanchez is or what he’s been doing this offseason? I wonder if the Jets will ask Sanchez to restructure his contract. One other topic: Peyton Manning. We all know that as soon as Manning puts on that Jets uniform, he won’t perform as well as he did in Indianapolis. Let him go elsewhere. Come on Free Agency Period.

40. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Feb 28, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, your comments about Kerley sound like they’re coming from some other, less informed person. First, I can’t remember a single bad drop Kerley had last yr, he might’ve had 1 or 2 debatable ones. Second, from the very 1st pass he caught he showed a veteran’s ability to fight for yds after the catch. Third, like most Jet receivers he hauled in some very badly-thrown Sanchez passes, including in clutch situations. And this is all after sitting out the first 5 games because of Mason, so all in all I’d say he showed quite a bit at WR. Spicer, by some weird accident you and I agree on the 2 best (in both potential and price) QBs to go up against Sanchez. You might remember I named both Campbell and Orton before the season was even over.

41. By JETSFAN44 on Feb 28, 2012 | Reply

The jets pretty much came out and said they most likely will not address ROT in the draft but that doesnt mean fa is out too. clifton just got released from gb he’s a veteran who can be plugged in right away and cant be worse than hunter and ducasse. bart scott is on the trade block who knows if anyone will bite at best he’ll restructure his deal and save us some cap room. as for not drafting tweeners that whole position is diff in college bc it doesnt exist so they have to be tweeners. guys who are long and lean dont always make the best pass rushers look at harrison woodley and von miller i’d take anyone of those 3 in a heartbeat none of which are very long and miller being the only lean player of the bunch. I

42. By JETSFAN44 on Feb 28, 2012 | Reply

if the guy can bend be explosive off the line and use his hands than he can be a pass rusher. i dont like upshaw at all hes stiff and 1 dimensional when he rushes. ingram will be a beast wherever he goes anyone who saw him play can see he works hard to the whistle every play can bull rush or use leverage and his hands to shed blocks and he has better hands and ball skills than some safeties sounds crazy but tape doesnt lie. he lookes like a beefed up running back with dline strength. guys like ingram perrry and branch would all fit our system and im sick of using the best player available line. what happens if they draft richardson now we have 4 rbs again and they just wasted to picks on rbs. sometimes u have to go best plyr in a need pos

43. By IRA on Feb 28, 2012 | Reply

Frank, Wouldn’t be surprised if they pick Iloka from Boise in the 3rd or 4th rd.
    As for Scott no shock here. He wasn’t coming back at the salary and it sure looks like he wants out. Yes he has slowed down but he still was 3rd on the team in TFL’s with 5 and had 4.5 sacks. His tackle total went down because of the fewer snaps he was on the field for. Unless some team gets desperate during the summer [if they hold on to him that long] i expect the jets to cut him and eat the salary and p/u whatever cap space they would get. They did the same for Faneca and this will probably play out that way too.

44. By GaryC on Feb 28, 2012 | Reply

things are starting to look up in jetland, burress and scott will not be here opening day,youth be served.

45. By Tom Spicer on Feb 28, 2012 | Reply

Sect 123, To add to my above comment 3 out of our 5 o lineman had major injurys last year Mangold, Moore & Slauson. Brick had the 2nd worst year of his career (only his rookie year was worse) & Wayne Hunter PLEASE CUT HIM TODAY! But guys will ignore that FACT & try to make you think it is all on the QB.

46. By Tom Spicer on Feb 28, 2012 | Reply

SCfromNY, To add to my post from above Henne’s career high of 15 TDS in 5 years. Is so bad that Mark had 15 TDS as a rookie & this is the guy you want to replace him with LOL YEA OK!

47. By Tom Spicer on Feb 28, 2012 | Reply

The Colts get Luck. The Browns get RG3. The Redskins get Tanehill. The Dolphins with Philbin as there new head coach get Flynn. The Cards after giving up a fortune last year stick with Kolb. The Chiefs keep Orton then Orton & Cassell battle it out for the starting job. That leaves the Seahawks & the Jets for Peyton to choose from. Peyton picks the Jets & we trade Mark to the Seahawks for a 5th round pick.

48. By Tom Spicer on Feb 28, 2012 | Reply

The closer that March 13th comes everyday I think more & more that the Jets are going after Peyton.

49. By Tom Spicer on Feb 28, 2012 | Reply

SCJoe, Lamar Miller running well is a good thing for his wallet but a bad thing for the Jets. I dont think we were going to take him with our 1st pick & I was hoping to get him in the 2nd round. Charlie Casserly former GM & now analyst said he now cemented his place in the first round.

50. By Tom Spicer on Feb 28, 2012 | Reply

Most posters say get a pass rusher or a saftey & I know these are CLEAR needs & have been for years. But I would like to remind you guys that Rex is a great DC (Tom 64 notice I said DC not HC before you rip me) in his 3 years with us our D has ranked 1st, 3rd & 5th. With the current talent we have Rex will have our D at least in the top 10 this year. On the other side of the ball our O is bad. We need a RT, WR & a RB. This O needs big time improvement unless we address the O in free agency we need to address it in the draft FIRST!

51. By Tom Spicer on Feb 28, 2012 | Reply

My dream off season (and realistic off season) would be the Jets sign a new RT & bring back Braylon in free agency. In the 1st round take Ingram OLB South Carolina & in the 2nd round take RB Miller Miami. In the 3rd & 4th round take the best safteys out there.

52. By Chicago Bob on Feb 28, 2012 | Reply

The Jets have so many holes, to go out and get Mario Williams is insane. His contract alone will virtually prevent us from being able to spend any money elsewhere. If we were one player away from serious contention and that person was an elite DL, I would say get him however when you look at the fact we need two safeties, an OLB, a MLB, a LDE that can create some QB pressure and possibly a NT – and that is just defense! Let Williams go to some team that is stupid enough to make him the highest paid defensive player in history. Remember one thing about Barron – he is getting a lot of publicity because the safety position is so weak. Fortunately we are in a position to take the best athlete at 16 due to the amount of holes needed to fill

53. By Chicago Bob on Feb 28, 2012 | Reply

People keep talking about Kyle Orton – that would not be a bad move. He is never going to be a franchise QB however while with the Bears, he always kept them in a position to win as he did not make any stupid mistakes. He had limited resources to work with and did a solid job. Not your long term answer however he can definitely “hold down the fort” until you find the guy you need.

54. By Frank on Feb 28, 2012 | Reply

Spicer again with your clueless and unbelievable ridiculous reasoning. Moss made Culpepper???? Really what happened when he went to the Raiders? Then he goes to the Pats and sets records with a REAL QB!!!!!!!!!!
    Sanchize-Not absolutely stinks and Henne will be competition for him if they choose to bring him in.
    Great move by TanWoody last year they get Scott to take a million dollar pay cut and guarantee his 4 million dollar salary for this year. Great job guys!!!!!! I said it after the 2010 season and especially after the debacle in Pittsburg were Scott was bouncing off Mendenhall and getting beat badly in that game that he was done and suggested cutting him before last season and upgrading that area. Now we are stuck with another cancer

55. By Frank on Feb 28, 2012 | Reply

And speaking of cap numbers Sanhcize-Not at 14 million is ridiculous BUT as I said earlier DO NOT renegotiate were we are stuck with him another year if he stinks it up again.
    Also the silence with this guy is deafening. He is showing zero leadership clearly his hiding and not sticking up for himself or making any statements shows the guy either doesn’t care or has zero leadership qualities. If I were getting bashed like him by the media and players I would say something.
    We can’t get rid of this guy fast enough….TanWoody should be granting him a trade request or try to move him to a QB needy team for a late round draft pick and free up the cap space. I am willing to go into training camp with McElroy and whoever else we can sign.

56. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Feb 28, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, I misread your post, you were countering someone else who said Kerley didn’t show much at WR, not saying that yourself. Spicer, I’m reading more carefully at FA/draft time, so I saw you said DC, not HC. Ira, TOTALLY agree about drafting guys and asking them to play a new position, it rarely works out and of course we’re in the Hall of Shame for trying that with Gholston. Also agree with Spicer and everybody else about the ridiculous mistake last yr on Scott’s contract, my 22-year-old female intern from the north of England would know better than to make a deal like that — but then, she actually played their version of football, unlike Mr T and our version of football. Agree about 14 mil for Sanchez, Frank, that number MUST go down!

57. By GaryC on Feb 28, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, you say don’t get Poe mixed up with gholston and ellis,you say that more dontari poe’s make it, besides ngata give me a list of 350 plus lineman who have made it,Ted Washington is another,Jenkins but that is more few and far between,numbers are only numbers until you produce.

58. By GaryC on Feb 28, 2012 | Reply

I am hoping with the expulsion of CANT WAIT SCOTT,the jets are open to taking Kuechly with their pick,and he has no baggage, what a statement that would be for this Rex regime that has taken so many reclaimation projects and gotten rid of high character guys.

59. By Allan O'Dane on Feb 28, 2012 | Reply

The NYJ have to get younger and faster at the LB corp. Harris and Maybin are the only 2 guys I would keep. Pace is over-rated and Thomas is more of a run support LB. This young man from Boston Luke Kuehly his stock is going up. This is the kind of LB Bill Belichek will surely go after (if possible). We need speed & youth. I still say if Vontaze Burficet drops to the second round we should grab him.

60. By scjoe on Feb 28, 2012 | Reply

Spicer, I have been lobbying for Miller long before he posted those numbers and I knew all along he would not be there for the Jets in round 2. In fact I thought a trade down may be in order to get him somewhere around pick 20-23 in rd #1 Now, I doubt that can happen. Bottom line, as I said before, this kid can come in and make THEE most immediate impact starting from day 1. I know about all the other needs, but all you really need to do is look at how the offense preformed last season and this pick would be a no brainer.

61. By scjoe on Feb 28, 2012 | Reply

64, you had me wondering about that first post re: Kerley. I am a Kerley fan and I think that he can/will have a breakout year in 2012 (depending on who the QB is)

62. By scjoe on Feb 28, 2012 | Reply

I agree Chicago Bob, NO to Mario Williams, DE is really not a glaring need, I would also say NO to Abraham. NO to Upshaw, NO to tradeing UP, NO to T.O. NO to Ochowhacko. And last but not least a definite NO to Moss.

63. By Tom Spicer on Feb 28, 2012 | Reply

Frank, I said Moss & Carter made Culpepper look better than he was not Moss made Culpepper. Read slower so you can get your facts right!

64. By Tom Spicer on Feb 28, 2012 | Reply

SCJoe, I know that Miller is your guy thats why I directed that post strictly to you. I know all along you have said Miller & that NT Poe.

65. By Frank on Feb 28, 2012 | Reply

Thats really funny Kerley not showing up as a reciever. He clearly showed his a very good receiver above average punt returner and made the best throw of the season out of the wildcat.
    Spicer, Manning had the 31st worst ranked O-Line last year and the Jets were 14th ranked O-Line geez we all see what a huge difference that made. Manning throws for 5000 yards and wins a Superbowl and Sanchize-Not stunk it up. Stop with the stupid TD numbers his stats were padded plain and simple. He threw garbage time TD’s and ran for others the RB’s could have. When it counted he STUNK. We can’t get rid of him fast enough. I will say it again since Rex got here the talent level and professionalism of the team has fallen off a cliff.

66. By Frank on Feb 28, 2012 | Reply

Heres my wish list Spicer. Trade Sanchize-Not to the Seahawks for whatever picks we can get and get rid of his 14 Million cap hit. Use that money to get Mario Williams and try to make a play for Forte sign Griffin at safety and one of any number of FA lineman draft Decastro and go with McElroy and Henne in camp both are capable game managers and will be susbstantially cheaper. Our O-Line becomes a strength again we have a great backfield and a beast on the strong side on D and have a solid safety who can actually cover a TE.

67. By GaryC on Feb 28, 2012 | Reply

the ravens should draft poe, as in quote the raven,never more.

68. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Feb 28, 2012 | Reply

Well, nobody can say anymore that I’m the toughest on Rex and Sanchez after that last post from Frank…not that I don’t agree with it entirely…

69. By David on Feb 28, 2012 | Reply

I’m sorry but you have to take ingram or upshaw if they are there. we’ve been babling about wanting a pass rusher. we are not gonna get anyone really steller (maybe peyton hillis) in free agency. Since we didnt win in 2010 – 2011
    i believe our jets are set back for 3 years and so its time to rebuild are defense

70. By Tom Spicer on Feb 28, 2012 | Reply

Frank, Yes the Jet O line was great last year 40 sacks is a good number to give up every year. Where do you come up with this stuff?

71. By scjoe on Feb 28, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, no, that is not what I said, or you misinterpreted what I said. my point was, people are focusing so much on what a Gholston or a Malamula (or what ever his name was) did at the combine that anytime another player puts up big numbers those same people tend to doubt his true ability simply based on players like those two. I did not mean that specifically for NTs. Aside from that, and aside from the 44 reps of 225, did you see how this 350 lb man moved in the agility drills? That to me is what is going to make him a probowler in this league, of course the brute strength will not hurt either.

72. By scjoe on Feb 28, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, just to expand on that topic. I think it is safe to say that for every ONE player at the combine who puts up outrageous numbers and don’t really make it at the next level, there are nine others that do make it. That was basically what my point was.

73. By Tom Spicer on Feb 28, 2012 | Reply

Also Eli was sacked 28 times last year. Where did you get this info that the Giants are the 31st ranked O line I dont think that is possible & A BLIND MAN could see that the Jet O line did not play well last year.

74. By PepPep on Feb 28, 2012 | Reply

Tom Spicer,
    you make a good point about Rex being able to maintain a good D and that a pass rusher may not be THAT huge of a need come draft day. But this looks to be a very deep draft for OT’s and WR’s….we could get good players in the mid to later rounds. Drafting a RB early doesn’t make sense for us either (unless its Richardson maybe, after who there is a huge drop off) as we have Greene, Powell, McKnight.

So picking up a talented pass rusher early or taking the top safety prospect (Barron) kind of makes sense. Although, personally, I hate the idea of spending a 1st rd pick on a safety.

75. By MIKE on Feb 28, 2012 | Reply

Enough Maybin talk this guy is a situational pass rusher period. He has an incredible burst but cannot change speeds quickly. Watch his tape and see. Most of his sacks came on either break downs on the o line or he was able to just beat his man outside. Don’t get me wrong I like him but he is 2nd and 3rd and long that’s it.

76. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Feb 28, 2012 | Reply

Ha, GaryC goes literary on us! PepPep, tell me honestly which you hate more, “spending a 1st rd pick on a safety” or knowing that any TE over 6′ 2″ who runs the 40 in faster than an hour can torch the safetys we have now.

77. By efxm0nk on Feb 29, 2012 | Reply

Upshaws stock fell a good bit after the combine. A bunch of others like Poe shot up a ton. If we can get DeCastro come the 16th pick, and if Upshaw is still available late in the mid 20’s i say we draft up to get Upshaw there (hopefully not giving too much up). With Barron being injured, his stock may fall enough for us to get him in the 3rd but this is beyond wishful thinking. A draft where via good trades we somehow land DeCastro, Upshaw, Barron and RB Polk would be an amazing draft.

78. By ELI RODRIGUEZ on Mar 1, 2012 | Reply

TO SPICER: So you don’t trust McElroy because he was a 7th rd pick. How about these guys.
    1955 Johnny Unitas 102 QB (9th rd)
    1964 Roger Staubach 129 QB (10th rd)
    1956 Bart Starr 200 QB (17th rd)
    Warren Moon and Doug Flutie- undrafted
    Tom Brady was selected with pick #199,in the sixth round of the 2000 NFL Draft. McElroy why not him.

79. By Tom Spicer on Mar 1, 2012 | Reply

Eli cause the probability of him being the guy is not good. For every guy you named there are 10,000,000 late round draft picks who have not made it.

80. By Jon on Mar 1, 2012 | Reply

I’m not quite sold on upshaw either something about him gets me the feeling that he would be a decent player but not have a huge impact. Ingram on the other hand seems like a excelent draft pick at 16, but the jets should focus on three things in the first round which would be S Mark barron if he’s available , Ingram . I also would love to see us draft stephon Hill in the second or third if he gets that far, that guy is athletic 6-5 runs a 4.3 thats has to give u the feeling if he’s the next megraron.

81. By john ski on Mar 1, 2012 | Reply

I think your right Jon, forget about Upshaw. A bunch of the “top” prospects at the combine look like dogs to me. What’s funny is we know nothing of Kendrick Ellis’ situation because they didn’t play him last year even when he was healthy, and there are 3 excellent looking prospects for nose tackle. Also, if we get ourselves a pure pass rusher, he’s only a situational player in Rex’s defense; how mobile will a big DE be to drop back and how long can he keep his weight down? Rex wants a 260lb mobile OLB who can also get on that line and kill. Bryan Thomas probably won’t be back and Scott certainly did not line up for a ton of plays last year and may not be back. We need a big college OLB experienced in the 3-4 even from a later round.

82. By ELI RODRIGUEZ on Mar 2, 2012 | Reply

SPICER: McElroy looks good in the pocket,you got to give him aleast that much.

83. By Jason on Mar 11, 2012 | Reply

What are the chances of the Jets trading up to the Viking’s #2 pick (which they are open to trading) to get OT Kalil who comes in and makes an impact right away. Maybe give up this years and next years 1sts and a conditional? Also, I know we dont need another one year wonder but Id really like a Mercilus jersey, he could be our Osi Umenyiora (Strip sack FF specialiast) yeeeeah. He will be there at 16.