• Mon., Oct. 20, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Inside the Jets

• Tue., Oct. 21, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Extra Point - Only on SNY

• Wed., Oct. 22, 2014 2:15 PM - 2:30 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Wed., Oct. 22, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

• Thu., Oct. 23, 2014 2:00 PM - 2:15 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the meda following practice.
  • Thu., Oct. 23, 2014 3:30 PM EDT Live Press Conference: Coordinators Jets Coordinators Thomas McGaughey, Marty Mornhinweg, Dennis Thurman will address the media.
  • Thu., Oct. 23, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Fri., Oct. 24, 2014 1:25 PM - 1:40 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Fri., Oct. 24, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

‘Old School’ Prophett Ready to Rock into Free Agency

Posted by Eric Allen on March 13, 2012 – 3:37 pm

In just a few moments, the NFL’s League Year will begin. The Jets’ preparations for free agency and the trading period trace all the way back to the summer.

“It’s a process that begins all the way back in August,” Jets director of player personnel Brendan Prophett told newyorkjets.com. “We delegate within the department which teams guys will cover. They’ll be responsible for writing up that’s team’s players throughout the season.”

Prophett, in his 13th season with the Jets, and the entire scouting staff assembled together in the winter to assess what the Jets were and where they were going.

“We really start gearing our focus towards free agency prep in the game plan meeting that we usually have as a personnel department as a whole in December, where it’s pro personnel, college scouting and Mike T,” he said. “We kind of take a self-analysis and look at ourselves, where we would potentially have needs, what’s available from the pro side — unrestricted and restricted free agency. And the college guys have been out on the road all fall, so they’ll have their reports on guys at each position and then we kind of put it into categories.”

At that time, the Jets analyzed their positional groups and assigned them one of three categories.

“These are our must areas that we have to fill, our needs where we would like to fill, and a nice to have, so you kind of mark it in those different categories,” he said. “And then once the season ends, our whole focus in pro personnel goes right to free agency.”

The Jets wrote up reports on every player who potentially could move to the open market. Once the season ended, the coaches were brought up to speed and incorporated into the process.

“We’ll spend January writing up all the free agents — and you’re talking 500-plus free agents this year, restricted and unrestricted,” Proph said. “And we’ll kind of drill down to identifying those positions that are musts and needs.

“Based upon our grades, there is a collection of players at those positions that we’ll want the coaches’ input. It’s really important that we have good dialogue with the coaches — what are we looking for, the positions’ requirements that the coaches have, and what their visions are for the players at those positions. We’ll come to them with a list of guys and here are the guys that we think fit those requirements and we want their feedback to see if they share that same vision.”

Money is an important factor as well, considering the NFL has a salary cap. The Green & White have reportedly created more cap space this spring with the extensions of QB Mark Sanchez and NT Sione Pouha. Most media outlets estimate New York’s AFC representative is about $14 million under the league’s cap of $120.6 million. GM Mike Tannenbaum has a talented football administration department in place in director Ari Nissim and manger Jacqueline Davidson, and they play key roles in the spring.

“We grade the players as football players and Ari and Jackie do a great job of kind of gauging based upon our grade where that will fit financially. Obviously we want to acquire as many good players as we can, but financially sometimes we can’t feasibly make it work,” Prophett said. “They’ll give us parameters, ‘Hey, we think we can work within this pay structure. Who are kind of the players who fit that mold?’ We have conversations with them like we do the coaching staff, ‘What group of players fits this market or this kind of financial parameter?’ We’re in constant contact with them.”

At 4 p.m. ET today, the Jets will have only two safeties on their roster as both Jim Leonhard and Brodney Pool are unrestricted free agents. Three teams used their franchise tags on safeties (OAK on Tyvon Branch, SF on Dashon Goldson and TEN on Michael Griffin) so LaRon Landry is now widely considered the top safety on the market.

“I think it’s a good group. There is a lot of depth there,” Prophett said. “Obviously we’ll look to see if we want starters, backups. What’s available in terms of those guys? You’ll look at your own guys and there’ll be some dialogue there as to whether we want to keep them or not and we’ll be in contact with them.

“But when you look to the market, I think there’s quality depth. When you look at the guys that have been tagged — the Goldsons, the Branches — those are excellent players, but we still think there are numbers there that we can get a good player.”

There are openings at OLB and No. 2 receiver as well. Both Bryan Thomas, the longest-tenured Jet who got a light workout in here today before the deadline, and WR Plaxico Burress, who tied for the team lead with eight TDs in 2011, are unrestricted free agents.

“They’re not under contract, so they’re talking to other teams. Obviously we’ve had some dialogue with them throughout the offseason leading up to free agency, so we both share a feel for where the other is at, but they’re looking and so are we,” Prophett said. “We’ll come up with what we feel is the best answer for the Jets moving forward.”

A product of The College of New Jersey, Prophett played wideout at TCNJ and was a three-time all-conference selection. He got some pro experience in Europe, and Arena ball also appeared on his résumé before he began to flourish in his current role.

“Brendan has been invaluable,” said assistant GM Scott Cohen. “He has been as thorough, as detailed and as good an evaluator as I’ve been around. We work hand in hand with everything we do and I couldn’t think of a better person to share those duties with.”

Prophett is excited to get going once again in a more traditional format. A long work stoppage a year ago forced teams to scramble last summer in a unique condensed free agency period.

“It’s good that you can get the players in, talk to them and you can get a feel for what he wants, what you guys are looking for — get a feel for one another, basically,” Prophett said. “It’s a recruiting process. You really didn’t have that last year. There really wasn’t time for it. I’m an old-school guy, I like the traditional, so I’ll welcome kind of the back-to-norm approach we’ll have this year.”

Tags: , , , , ,
Posted in Eric Allen | 127 Comments »

127 Responses to “‘Old School’ Prophett Ready to Rock into Free Agency”

1. By Cliff - NJ on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Get………………………..somebody

2. By scjoe on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Randy, there has been lots of talk and lots of speculation over exactly what the Jets cap figure is. Do you have the official figure including the unused space from 2011?

3. By Randy Lange on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, even if I knew what the Jets’ salary cap situation is, which I don’t, I couldn’t tell you. Sorry.

4. By Hans on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

I think Dolphins’s Manning-stock just plummeted. They just traded B Marshall to the Bears for two 3s

5. By scjoe on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

I don’t know about a big splash, but guys like Carey, BE, Griffin, Lowery, Bryant, Henne, Manny Lawson, Anthony Collins etc. etc. Would be upgrades in some areas.

6. By neauone on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

WINSTON RT, GET IT DONE TANNY!!!!!!

7. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Nice piece, Randy, you rarely hear much about these behind-the-scenes guys and their thinking about how they go about what they do. Good tip on Marshall, Hans, that’s really amazing, what are they thinking at MIA? Still too much of a handful in the LR? I gotta check that out on the NFL site right away…

8. By AK_Jet on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

I have to admit that I was a little optimistic that we might get Peyton, but now that the dust has settled, I’m coming to terms with the fact that we are built to win with defense and a physical offense. I was outraged at first to see we extended Sanchez and thought that Tannenbaum was too stubborn to admit a mistake, but when you look at what the details of the contract actually do, I was relieved.

9. By GreenfiendNYJ on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

@ Hans or it just rose because they now have space for Reggie Wayne, as well as a couple high round picks to play with. not saying thats the move they are making but its possible and i dont think Marshalls going away decreases their stock in the manning sweepstakes by much.

10. By wetscoastJET28 on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

I just heard Eric Winston is visiting with Miami, I would really like to get him to fill our RT void.

11. By robertpapalia on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

I like to know why would you resign a 34 year old player coming off a serious knee injury. I am talking about Bryan Thomas. What the heck is Mike Tannenbaum doing here? Is anybody really comfortable with the way Tannenbaum has been doing things lately? The way things are going around here we could be seeing a 4 and 12 or a 5 and 11 season coming up. Truly depressing.

12. By ROY23 on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

nfl network stated earlier today that miami was out. they also predicted the cards. will get him (MANNING), but DEN. was appealing 2 him & enough cap room for him ,wayne & clark…

13. By DKM on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Hans i think it just went up, Manning telling the Phins to get rid of him cause im bringing my own.

14. By DKM on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Ok the Way i understood the Cap was, the jets came in around 128 Mill, eight over the projected 120.6 limit the league just published yesterday, with the 8.5 from last year we made it under Cap by the Deadline last Thursday, in adition with Brick restructering and the relaeses we made to 7.1 bfeore redoing MS, and since than you add the 1.6 from the league and the singning of Pouha we are around 14 Mill. This is according to PFT.
    Tom Spicer NyJetscap.com has the Jets at 13.4 Mill. incl the last years 8 mill carry over and M.S.

SCjoe Mr. Woody did apply for the carry over.

15. By DKM on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

JFS64 way to fight back you got my respect. I still think you to hang up on Rex’s comments.

16. By DKM on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Randy i know it is a little to bold to ask but could we see the List how the FO & its Talent evaluators is rating the Players that would have bin interesting to them ?

17. By Randy Lange on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

DKM, you can ask but that’s not something that we have access to and have ever been able to put on the site.

18. By walt on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

I do not see how anyone can complain about signing Bryan Thomas.He is so much better than any other linebacker on the team.He is a tremendous athlete and more important he is his knowledge of the game.We would really be crying if the Patriots would have signed him.We sure missed him last year.The jets did not have much choice but to sign him.

19. By DKM on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

I dont mind bringing Thoams back and the price seems to be right, Draft a young OLB so he can teach him or lead the young ones wich allready there.

20. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

robertp, re overpaying for Sanchez and Pouha and paying much of anything for Thomas, arte just told me he thinks we’re just gonna for the most part resign some of our guys, maybe pick up a 2nd or 3rd-tier FA like Jarrett Johnson, and hope to draft well. We’re not even in the Henne sweepstakes, apparently, ’cause the Jags might want him to start over Gabbert. While it’s always exciting to imagine getting some game-changing FA’s, like I told you guys a few wks ago I’d be okay with this being the low-rent season for FA pickups in anticipation of the real makeover down the road. That would just make it easier to rebuild with a new QB when Mr T and Rex decide that’s necessary sometime around, oh, 2025 or so.

21. By Another Tom on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

We really dont have the resources to make a big splash in the free agent market..we’re taking care of our own “stars” first.

22. By Hans on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

@robert, it was an achilles, and its for insurance in case, for whatever reason, Upshaw or Ingram can’t get drafted.

23. By Jack on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

I heard that the Jets has very little cap money. So don’t look to see the Jets go out and spend alot on F/A players Thanks alot Tanny give me another reason why I don’t like him as the GM. But Jets could try to get S, LaRon Landry if he want to play for the Jets. A RB, is another player could be looking to get I was hoping for Michael Bush but with little cap money don’t see that happenning now. Maybe a WR, too.

24. By Karan on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

I know its really early to speculate, but it seems like Tannenbaum has no idea what he is doing and has been simply disappointing so far. Bryan Thomas: I respect the man, but he is 34 and not as productive as in previous years, so I don’t understand why they have resigned him and I hear Nick Folk will be re-signed, I mean seriously guys? Nick Folk?? Go for Neil Rackers, even the former Jet Jay Feely. The things that are going on in the front office since last summer, I just do not understand. I hope I stand corrected by some of the moves Jets make.

25. By Karan on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

excuse me, I meant to say 32, but still….

26. By Tom Spicer on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

I heard the Jets signed Bryan Thomas to a 1 year deal. I am thinking that the Jets are going to start Thomas & Pace. Then they will go with Maybin & Westerman on passing downs.

27. By Jack on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

” Old School ” That what the Jets are doing signning back old players Pouda 33 and Bryan Thomas 32 why they are at it why not signs LT, for one more year and why they are at it signs the Jail bird Pllaxo back for another year too. So it look like Jets can’t signed the big players out there. I’ll be very happy if they just signed RB, Michael Bush for a big Contact. Being back Edwards 3.5 Millions jets could do that IF Edwards is healthy. What are the Jets doing. I hate Tanny never like him.

28. By fred on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Well I for one think resigning BT was a good move by Mr T. He does a lot of the dirty work & helps set the edge which was a HUGE problem with out him last yr. That being said the Jets are not done with the position & probably will address with the 16 pick

29. By wetscoastJET28 on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

The only target I have heard of so far is WR Chaz Schillens & QB Chad Henne. Other then that we seem to not be very active as of day 1 of FA.

30. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

You might remember I said back when we hired Lal that Chaz Schilens of OAK, the odd man out what with Heyward-Bey, Murphy, and Thomas all playing well, was someone we’d likely look into and Cimini reports we’re doing that. Like I say, this is the kind of lower-rung FA we’re likely to get given the amount of $ we have to spend and, much as some of you hate to hear it, the QB to whom we’ve just given a big vote of confidence. (Henne would apparently rather start on SEA or JAX than backup MS with us — duh!) Schilens as depth in back of Kerley and maybe fighting it out with Turner sounds okay but what we needed was a big WR to go with Holmes like Wallace, Jackson, Colston, etc., none of whom I think had any huge fantasies of playing with MS.

31. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

On the Schilens post, I meant Denarius Moore, not Demaryius Thomas, either of whom would be just fine with me as Jets.

32. By Karan on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Dang it! Jason Campbell signs with the Bears! He was a really good backup option

33. By scjoe on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Well, QB Campbell is off the board, that leaves Henne and Orton and a bunch of other recycled B/Us for the Jets to somehow convince to come to NY and sit and watch Mark Sanchez start “no matter what” good luck Mr T. Here is what I don’t understand, free agency just began today at 4pm How does Vincent Jackson and the TB Bucs come to a contract agreement in a matter of hours? Is it possible he took the first offer from the first team he visited? Can anyone say “tampering”

34. By scjoe on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

If you listen to Jason LaConfora of NFL.com, which I don’t, the NY Jets are not interested in signing ANY free agents except Chad Henne which by the way (according to him) is a long shot because of “financial restraints” Can somebody explain to me like I am a six year old, how this guy still has a job?

35. By Karan on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Another dang it, Lowery re-signs with the Jaguars.

36. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Cimini on Day 1:”Despite being about $14 million under the salary cap at the start of the day, the Jets didn’t get involved with any upper-tier free agents, at least none that we know of. This could indicate a more conservative approach than in the past. Remember, they spent major bucks last year, with Santonio Holmes, Antonio Cromartie and David Harris. Maybe they’re going to be more like the Giants, going slow and waiting for the market to settle. Or maybe owner Woody Johnson just told his football people to chill out until next year.” My guess is it’s the latter, which doesn’t suggest a very entertaining 2012 season, uncle joe. But if it means spending on a new team with a new GM, HC, and QB in 2013, it’ll have been well worth it.

37. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

These days I dislike both major political parties equally but I gotta tell ya, it’s gonna be a long 4 yrs with Romney as president if he’s not any smarter or more honest than his friend Woody Johnson. I spent quite awhile last night trying to remember when I’ve heard a more preposterous claim not just from the Jets, not just from any NFL owner, but from any pro sports team figure of any kind than “we passed on pursuing Peyton Manning” because “we like Mark.” Those of you who don’t think this franchise is becoming a joke — and who don’t find THAT depressing — had better go read the comments on this story on both the NFL and ESPN websites. And somehow, I have trouble picturing Curtis Martin saying anything like this with a straight face.

38. By punchie on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

i think our season would have looked a great deal different if BT had been on the grid for the whole of last season, Lets just hope he`s been hitting the iron this off season to help his recovery. And a note to ROBERTPAPALIA your achilies tendon is located in your ANKLE ! He`s put in his time and if you watch tape on him you would find him a solid performer i`m sick of this jets THE SKY IS FALLING BULL$&#% .

39. By punchie on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

WAYNE signs 3 year extension with COLTS

40. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Hey GaryC, if you haven’t gotten on the plane yet, we missed out on Meachem, who went to the Chargers, and now it looks like we might not even get Schilens, who’s visiting the 49ers before us. I was glad to read that we’re interested in Laurent Robinson, though I’ll be really glad when we actually sign someone from some other team who’s any good, meaning that undrafted C from USC who played with Sanchez doesn’t count. And if any of you folks suspect I’m building up to a re-evaluation of where we stand in the NFL as a franchise after we see which FA’s we can afford to sign and are able to sign, you’re right. But you notice I didn’t advocate going after Marshall and I’m glad we didn’t as, amazingly, he’s in trouble with the law again already.

41. By uncle joe on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Nice to see BT end his career here and nice to see the Jets finally learning that the big splash is not the way to build a Franchise. There will be discounts on good players after this frenzy ends. Build through the draft and keep your own players. Hated to see Lowery re uo with Jags but Oh Well!

42. By uncle joe on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Jets interested in a Raiders free agent WR Chaz Shilens, never seen him play really but 6’4″ and young,he’s probably fast if the Raiders drafted him!

43. By IRA on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

BT was the fall back option if Johnson wasn’t coming here. Looks like Johnson would’ve been a lot more money. Glad they got BT back he was very underrated his whole career. Its a risk though as a 32 yr old coming off of achilles surgery. I don’t think they are done yet at that spot. Too bad Lowery resigned with the Jags. I would rather they sign Nelson than Landry. He is a better cover safety and E. Smith with a bad knee still led the team in tackles. Plus they are still going to draft a safety too. Never thought Henne would be close to the 4 mill range which the Jets would never pay that type of price for a BU QB. If the Jets sign Stanton it will be for 1/3 of the price it would’ve cost for Henne. BTW Schilens caught 4 passes for 31 yds

44. By IRA on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Have to be critical here the Jets over the years have given up on too many players that have gone on and have had good careers with another team. Look at Lowery at a position the Jets were really never strong at the past three years they give up on Lowery and the Jags say he has really done a great job defending the midddle of the field. I just don’t get it and why did it take so long for them to even give him a shot at safety when coming out of college a lot of experts said his best spot would be at safety. I just don’t get it?

45. By Chicago Bob on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

It is actually laughable when you read Tanny’s description of Bryan Thomas “he is adept as a pass rusher”. When you check the dictionary for definition of the word “adept”, it states “highly skilled or expert”. Interesting how Tanny can claim a player with 31 career sacks as being “highly skilled or an expert”. Bryan Thomas has been a disappointment with the exception of one year – the year he was playing for a contract and got 8-1/2 sacks. I am sure opposing G.M.’s were just banging on his door since the free agency period started in the hopes to lock him up. This is just what I was afraid of, the guy has money to spend and he does not know how to spend it correctly. If he was Tanny’s #1 priority, I can’t wait to see who is lined up next.

46. By Allan O'Dane on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

At this point I don’t care where Manning goes, he ain’t coming here. I don’t even care if he goes to Miami. I’m watching teams fill needs right away. Bears/Marshall, Bucs/Jackson and maybe Nicks now. Rams/Finnigan. And what did we do?…we re-signed B.Thomas….wow..this is really getting depressing. Mike T. has to be out of his mind if he thinks Hunter should be a starter! he’s a CAREER BACK-UP MIKE! and Vlad D. is clearly not ready he’s got at least another year. I’m just watching other teams fill in their needs while we re-sign an aging slow LB. (Don’t get me wrong I like BT he’s a steady Blue-collar LB) but he is not what he used to be and clearly was showing signs of slowing down before he got hurt.

47. By Allan O'Dane on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Day 2…maybe we sign Mark Gastinaeu ….wait he’s retired…..

48. By Frank on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Had to check in from my spring break vacation with my kids. So Woody says they passed on Manning because they have Sanchize-Not. I can’t stop laughing. This franchise is so incredibly inept there is no legitimate NFL caliber free agent that’s gonna want to go anywhere near this circus. Kicking the can down the road by extending Sanchize-Not for what purpose? That strategy blows up in their face constantly. This years version Bart Scott. With the extension you can bet any viable 2nd string QB ain’t coming here. Look forward to more 8-9 D players in the box and Sanhize-Not having to make plays he can’t make. Worst yet this will fracture the team even more ratcheting up the coddling of this guy. You can bet your bottom dollar on that one.

49. By kevin Wynne on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Well, just been on the NFL site and the Fox Football site with their FA tacker and players are going here and there for interviews or signings…but not one mention about any visit with our FO. It seems they are waiting for the dust to settle and try to find something in the “bottom of the Barrell”. As Tom 64 likes to recite some “golden oldies” when he mentions things…I like to add something of my own on our FO. Certainly not a classic like “Yellow Brick Road” (EJ)…but something more suitable for them is the “Long and Winding Road”(Beatles). Guess it gets frustrating for Mr. Prophett above with all his hard work he does in getting info….and nothing is done. Yea, its only the second day of FA…but still….

50. By Tom Spicer on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

MR.T HELLO THE PHONE IS RINGING PICK IT UP! FREE AGENCY HAS STARTED. Can someone wake Mike up I think he is sleeping.

51. By Mats on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

I would have loved to see a good reciever.. like Marques Colston or Vincent Jacksson… I so feel like the Jets need help at the reciever part. Holmes doesnt seem good enough (or maybe he just doesnt care enough to put in the effort) to be the clear cut nr 1 :\ Or even Brandon Marshall would’ve been sweet…

Maybe Brandon Lloyd or Reggie Wayne would be good. Not sure how much Wayne has left and Lloyd has had a lil continuity issues I believe…

But still… get some WR’s! :P

52. By Mats on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Oh yeah… and I have a feeling Manning is going to the Titans :)

53. By Bennett on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

When you sign Thomas to a one year deal it’s like putting a band aid on a cut that needs stiches. Daily news .com is reporting on some free agent moves the Jets are looking at and seems the are going for the cheap fix. So far the signed Thomas coming of a serious injury for surely his last year,kept the worst tackle in football and rushed to extened a contract that didnt have to and should not have been extended Also read something funny….. Woody said the “passed” on Peyton how can you “pass” on someone who never would have considered coming here ? The whole oranization seems like their are delusional. And to think I was looking forword to this off-season (yeah I was one of the Henne dreamers )

54. By Mats on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Chad Henne is in no way, shape or form better then Sanchez…

Anyways, I think you’re wrong. If you are refering to the Nose Tackle that is.. Because he sure as hell isnt the worst tackle in the NFL. And he just kept doing his job last season, and he did it well. With the rest of the D performing under par, he did his job game after game after game…. I think that’s a pretty good signing…

55. By robertpapalia on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

You all can spin anyway you like. But the way I see it is a aging defense with no pass rush. I don`t expect this to change even after the draft. The bottom line is this. Tanny is killing the Jets with bad decesions and this will be apparent with the upcoming season. Be prepared for a very long season.

56. By uncle joe on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

You people keep complaining about the Jets not over paying any of these players that other teams let leave, notice the Caliber of Franchises that didn’t do anything yet in Free Agency, and don’t tell me it’s because those teams are stacked and don’t need upgrades, only one team won the SuperBowl last year!

57. By Bennett on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

I hardily agree with the signing of Sione. The three years was fair for both sides and he deserved it, he is an under rated workhorse.WAYNE HUNTER is the worst tackle in football and even the most die hard Jet fans ( Karan ) will admit this. I think Henne if given the shot, offense and coaches is going to breakout. This is my own opinion and I will follow him to see what happens. If he does become one of the top QB I will gladly rub it in to cetain folks on this board, if not I’ll probably be the only one that remembers and will keep silent. One day I might get on this board and say I was wrong about Sanchez like many Giant fans should say about Eli the way the beat on him

58. By kleckofan on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

depressing, nothing to say…feels like management during the Kotite years…

59. By IRA on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Tom, Good chance westerman will go down to Tampa.
    Karan, The Jets are not going to pay good money to a #2 QB or any kicker. Thats just the way they operate. And i wouldn’t sign Henne or Campbell for 3-4 mill for 1 yr either. Maybe they should look at Grossman instead of Stanton.
    The Jets will fill some needs in free agency but will not spend a lot. Pouha was their big signing and maybe they sign Keller to a long term deal now before he hits the open market next year. They MUST have a very good draft this year to improve this team.

60. By robertpapalia on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Jets fans need to send a message to management. Stop going to the games. Maybe then things will start to change around here.

61. By Bennett on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

I love the phrase that the Jets are “waiting untile the dust settles” in reality the cannot and will not compete for the top teir free agents and will pick up what is left once supply and demand has run it’s coarse. Henne would be crazy to come here now much better fit else where, may be if T-baum didn’t rush to extend Sanchez he might of considered it. For a lousy QB he sure is getting some attention. I for one would take Henne over Sanchez any day of the week

62. By IRA on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Congrats to Blake Costanzo another one the Jets let get away. He signed a 2 yr deal with the Bears after spending time with the Bills and Niners. I know certain people are proud of this kid for what he has done with his career as a very good ST’s player.

63. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Gee, Karan, why are you so “negative” about Mr T and free agency? Just kidding, I can see that you just woke up to how little money we have, how much of it we’ve wasted on unnecessary deals, and how few quality FA’s have any intention of coming here. arte, who hasn’t posted here for awhile, was telling me on the phone yesterday that we’re seeing “the fallout” of the Sanchez deal: No QB of any consequence will come here, which is why we started out low talking about Henne and are now going lower with Stanton. arte’s framing on all that, though, is that if Sanchez bombs and there’s no vet backup, maybe McElroy actually gets a shot, which would be fine with me. Mr T knows darn well FA is on, Spicer, but his hands are tied in several ways.

64. By DKM on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

That Laid Back approach of our FO is something new and i like it, patients step by step we build a winner just cause we havent spend half of our available Cap Money yet, doesnt mean we not going to do anything, there is plenty to go around when the Dust settles.

IRA, stop with Landry, he is another Bob Sanders in the making, however i think going after one of the S is the way to go either Nelson or Brandon Merriweather.

And by the way there will be so much more releases comming as teams take of these FA’s and there will be some good value for us

65. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

As for you, uncle joe, since you got crudely personal with me yesterday and actually suggested I root for another team, I’m going to suggest you actually start watching football. You’ve NEVER seen Schilens play? Does that mean you’ve NEVER seen an OAK game in 4 yrs? And you call yourself a football fan and dare to scold others about their views on the game? I’ve seen almost EVERY game Schilens has played because when I go watch the Jets at the sports bar, the OAK game is either on at the same time or right after. So people like me, who actually watch the game carefully and see what’s going on around the league, have to take guff from hometown airheads like you? No wonder you think Mr T, Rex, and Sanchez are great, you know less than zero!

66. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Thanks for your posts, Frank and Bennett, they help tether this site to reality which is hard to do with all the hot air Rex sends out. Yes, the word is delusional. It’s clear the Jets are signing no one of consequence, not that this should surprise anyone given the small $ they have and the signal they sent with the Sanchez deal. Most of the big names that coulda helped us are long gone on Day 2 and scjoe, Jackson got a deal fast ’cause TB, with all that $, had a front-loaded game plan. If we’re gonna get no one, I hope Cimini’s right that it’s ’cause Woody’s not writing checks to the Mr T/Rex/Sanchez edition of the team until he sees big improvement. I’d much rather start all over next yr with $ than buy into Mr T and Rex’s…delusions.

67. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Ira, if there’s one thing YOU don’t have to worry about, it’s being over-critical. Are you just getting around to noticing that we often don’t draft well, more often don’t groom players well, and that Rex is setting new lows in these areas? And why didn’t you think Henne would command a paltry $4 mil when Sanchez is somehow deemed by the Jets to be worth $20 mil in guaranteed $? When Henne beat us several times in 2009 and 2010 — you’ll recall Rex said our D “made him look like Dan Marino” — some said he was better than MS. I’m baffled by how someone who’s watched this team so long can be so casual in the face of so many long-standing organizational failings. Which is why I’m ready for Curtis Martin and his investor group to take over!

68. By DKM on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Stop with the crying about the Backup QB ……… anybody but M. Brunell at this Point is better.
    What you expect Henne to do say yes to the Backup spot with the Jets and turn down a real shot at a Starting Job somewhere else.
    After the Extension, we gave him one thing you can take to the Bank come Opening Day the starter for the NYJ wil be M.S.
    No QB with the potential to Start in this Leauge will sign with us, we made it clear to everybody that unless MS has an injury you be holding the Clippboard on the Sidlines and be a Mentor to whom ever else is roaming around there.

69. By scjoe on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Ira, don’t forget Abraham, Vilma, Rhodes, Hugh Douglas,Farrior, Feeley, Elam, Hasty, Woodhead, Kareem McKenzie, Randy Thomas, Casey Wiegmann, and of course John Riggens and so many more to numerous to mention.

70. By DKM on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

JFS64 you got to be kidding me making this in to a complain of course they looked hart into signing Manning you know Woody’s affection for Big Time QB’s but when they figured out early enough for whaterver reason they couldnt get him they did the closest best thing creating Cap room. And it was actualy smart on there part to do it early drop out unlike last year with Asomugha.
    And be honest should Woody go out there and say afterwords Manning was our number 1 priority, oh by the way we have a QB but nobody was interested we tryd shoping him but no one wanted him, Pete offered his 1994 Trailblazer, of course he said what he said. Thats what Owners supposed to do.

71. By scjoe on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

If you think the NY Jets have problems in the front office take a good look at what Washington and Miami have done. The Skins give up THREE (3) first rounders and a second this year for what I believe is a major risk. I am almost sure that one will backfire. As for the fish? Like that great line in “Jaws” they are either very,very, stupid or very,very smart. I will go with the very,very stupid. They just acquired Marshall two years ago for two 2nds now they trade him away for two 3rds. If that was a prerequisite to signing Peyton I can understand, if Peyton don’t show up in Miami any time soon what are they thinking about?

72. By DKM on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Hey Randy i figured but that would bin nice.

73. By DKM on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

scjoe ……………… listen it is somewhat strange how these guys sign within a couple of hours after the FA opens. It makes you wonder.
    would love to get a answer from somebody how it works.

74. By Mike M on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

What are the chances the Jets can land Mario Williams? We need a great pass rusher!

75. By Bennett on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

HEADLINE ; T-BAUM SPRINGS INTO ACTION

The Jets crack GM sprung boldly into the free agent market today with a blockbuster deal. Kris O Dowd who was an undrafted free agent, cut prior to last season by the Cardinals and who did not play last year announced on his Twitter account that he has signed with the Jets. One reporter was over heard saying to another ” well if it’s on the kids Twitter account it’s got to be true right?” This bold, dramitic move was roundly lauded by the numerous fans on the teams website. One even posting over and over the single words… Yeah Twitter… Yeah Twitter… Yeah Twitter untile he was stopped by the moderator

76. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

kleckofan, your 11-word post cuts through all the denial, magical thinking, and outright foolishness on this site like Klecko himself going thru the OL. robertp, your post comes in a close 2nd, while I’ll always watch the Jets and advocate ways to make them better, I certainly couldn’t blame anyone who got fed up with a FO and HC this delusional and denial-ridden and dumped their tix. And IRA, are you KIDDING me?! You actually suggest that we should sign REX GROSSMAN?! As ANYTHING? As WATERBOY? I can see now why you’re not too worried about new lows achieved under Mr T and Rex, since you just set a new low for Jet fans’ expectations at QB yourself. And why in GOD’S name would ANYONE wanna see GROSSMAN play a single snap instead of McElroy?!

77. By robertpapalia on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Yeah Tanny`s hands are tied alright. Because of all the lousy moves and non moves he has made.

78. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

DKM, an owner is supposed to be driven to build a winner and I see no evidence at the moment that Woody Johnson is anything of the kind. It’s his money to lose, of course, but 40-yr-plus fans like me get tired of it. 40-yr-plus fans like Ira seem to be okay with it, so maybe you should direct your rationalizations for overpaying for a mediocre QB to him. Back to folks who are in touch with reality, I meant to say that your comment about an aging D with no pass rush was great too, robertp. That’s one reason I can’t get overly excited about Pouha and certainly not Thomas, when we already have those unaddressed problems on D. Funny how during the yr folks are livid about McFadden running roughshod thru us, then after the year Pouha is “great.”

79. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Hilarious on O’Dowd, Bennett, and I can hear Rex now, “This is a guy we really liked for years and hey, he played with Mark, and we all know how elite HE is…”

80. By Allan O'Dane on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Day 2……..nothing…….oh this season is going to be brutal.

81. By Alex.G on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

The Same old tired lil Brother.. yes folks our New Jersey Jets…

82. By Karan on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Jarrett johnson signs with chargers. I guess best OLB option is now via the draft.

83. By Bennett on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

scjoe John Riggins… never will forget when the let him go to Washington … thousand yard rusher for the Jets and they didn’t want to pay him… then he goes to the Skins and explodes. One of my all time favorite plays is when Riggins broke that long run for the TD in the Super Bowl. He was big he was tought he was durable and it didn’t look like it but he had the speed when he needed it. He was the smart, long term version of Peyton Hillis and one of my all time favorite players… still after all these years

84. By IRA on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

DKM, Merriweather is a troubled guy why go down that road again plus he can’t call D signals.
    Tom, Just watch henne will get 3-4 for sure.
    scjoe, man ths list goes on and on what about James Hasty one of my favorites.
    Tom,
    I would prefer to have Grossman than Stanton any day. They can’t go into the season with a #2 that hasn’t won some games in the NFL before. There really isn’t much out there and Grossman wouldn’t be a bad idea to me.

85. By robertpapalia on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Going into this free agency peroid the Jets needs were right tackle, linebacker. safety, and wide receiver. None of these areas have been addressed so far. And it doesn`t look like none of them will. If this isn`t a call for alarm for Jets fans I don`t know what is.

86. By scjoe on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Well, Orton is now off the board and Henne is visiting Seattle, so there are slim pickings out there. That said, I have to agree with DKM that ANY QB who wins the B/U job is a major upgrade to Mark Brunell, even if that happens to be McKelroy which is looking more and more likely. After Mr Ts statement about MS how can you expect any “decent’ QB to come in hear with the mindset that the #2 job is good enough?

87. By Bennett on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Peyton never did or would consider the Jets. If they put out feelers for a visit they were probably promptly told “not interested under any circumstances” For Woody to say the passed on Peyton in favor of Sanchez is beyond silly it’s bizzare not to realize people see right through this kind of stuff. You can not pass on something unless it was offered first. The correct and might I say the honest thing to say is simply…” we were never seriously interested for many reasons” and if you really want to be honest…” because we knew we could never get him “

88. By Another Tom on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Well I Guess that making no moves/ FA signings is than than making the wrong moves..I am wondering now if We will trade down in the draft, perhaps out of the first round to save money$$$..At least there have been no embarrassing Rex sightings on TV gushing over some overpaid FA that is certainly the final piece of the puzzle that “fits” his system

89. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Hey Ira, last week you told us how much happier you’d be when we didn’t sign Manning, signed Pouha, and got some other good players thru free agency to improve the team. Well, we didn’t sign Manning, we signed Pouha, Thomas, and Folk, and we haven’t signed anybody else worth a damn. So tell me, how happy are you?

90. By Karan on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Hope Manning narrows his choices down to the Titans and Cardinals.

91. By wayne on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

64, wow, you think the Jets passed on Manning….You really believe that? WOW…..The number is somewhere way south of ZERO, chance Peyton Manning would play for the Jets…..IT NEVER HAD A POSSIBILITY………….The Jets are all in with GQ. I Hope they got it right……. because if not, I don’t believe there are any viable opts on the market next year…..No competition the push him………………It’s gotta be water torture for Jetaholics watching Jets do little on these big shopping days. They’ll have to make due without big splash. A little humility, a smattering of reality and walla you never know…..The other thing hasn’t worked all that well. Now, there’s no choice. They have to do this.

92. By westcoastJET28 on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

I told you guys about a month ago we probably were not gonna do much if anything in FA. Sure, I made have speculated like everyone else but, speculation from a fan is just a wish list. I honestly just wanted to get quality linemen to beef up our holes especially RT & maybe a G. Schillens is a decent player when he catches the ball, good size & speed but, his hands are not great. Watched him a lot as a Raider, like ’64 Tom, I do my homework. I honestly believe nobody wants to be a Jet these days. Will be lucky to land a S.

93. By Allan O'Dane on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Oh my…the NYJ just re-signed Folk…..buying my superbowl tickets right now!

94. By westcoastJET28 on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

According to my FA board, there is still some BU QBs available; David Garrard, Shaun Hill, Brady Quinn, David Carr & Matt Leinart. I doubt we will pay any of them there worth. I’m not sold on McNabb. I think McElroy is a better BU then Stanton, maybe he would be our 3rd QB if anything.

95. By Tom Spicer on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

So the Jets do not want o be major players in free agency okay I understand no problem. May be they turned over a new leaf & they are going to start to build thru the draft. THEY HAVE NEVER DONE THAT BEFORE! But maybe they are going to start to do it now. With that being said cant the Jets go out & sign lower tier not highly price but guys who are good player type free agents? WR Braylon Edwards he played for a non guarneteed contract of $1,000,000 last year are you trying to tell me the Jets cant call him up & offer him a $1,000,000 guarneteed 1 year contract? He never wanted to leave & was a great player for us. This is the problem with the Jets MR.T can not man up & admit `when he makes a mistake. So MR.T would rather lose then bring

96. By Tom Spicer on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

back Braylon & admit that he is wrong.

97. By Tom Spicer on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Tom 64, You are out of control with your comments to Uncle Joe REALLY! I have not watched Schilens play often maybe a few games but I know all I need to know with his career high 365 yards in the 2009 season the guys has played 4 year & has done NOTHING!

98. By wetscoastJET28 on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

All I know is we better resign Robert Turner!! If BT can get resigned after an Achilles injury, Turner with his broken leg (thanks to Big Vlad) can too.

99. By scjoe on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Ira, Hasty was on my list. I tried to narrow it down to guys who really excelled after the NY Jets let them walk. That practice is continuing right up to present day.

100. By Alex.G on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

LOL THE JETS ARE A SORRY TEAM…..

101. By Westcoast GangGreen on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

JET Nation relax, regarding free agency. Wow! You don’t make all your moves on day one. Teams are still going to release/cut players and/or payroll including the Jets. Heck, the draft is still like a month away, this is not finised by any means. At least let it all play out to the end and then cretic or compliment.. Go Jets…

102. By Jack on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Jets should at least signed a Safey. LanRon Landry, Reggie Nalson or S, Haruki NaIkumure Bal, or James Ihedigbo Pats, or S, Abram Elam or Tom Zbikowski Bal. Should signs one of them for a low cost. Look like the Jets are going to stays with at RT, With who they have now Hunter and Rob Turner. You would think Jets should throw alot of money at for a new starter at RT, Mr T said after last season he going to address the offensive lines WELL so far he’s hasn’t I hardly think jets are going to draft a OT, with the 1st pick but knowing Tanny he stupid enough to do that. Eric Winton show him the money. I want a RB, too Michael Bush is my top guy but Peyton Hills or LeBarrette Blount Jets should signed one of them for a low cost as well.

103. By wetscoastJET28 on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Everybody that is relying on the draft must have not payed much attention to what this organization has done with the draft these past 3 years. I won’t hold my breath with our decisions in the Draft. Just WIN, that is all I ask for.

104. By Chicago Bob on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Fortunately there are still some quality players out there – either McClain and Henderson would be nice additions to our LB corps – Winston obviously would be a huge upgrade at ORT and if Landry can come cheap enough, we have (hopefully) solved half of our problem at safety. If we can somehow come up with two of these four, it would be a huge plus. Can’t really blame the Jets for not participating so far – the contracts being signed right now are borderline insane – that is what got this team into its current mess – its about time we learned a lesson.

105. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Spicer, how many times did you tell your nemesis joe — in caps — he “knows nothing about football”? So get off my case about uncle joe, he oughta watch the games before he talks big. As for you, your comment on Schilens gives me some insight into your Sanchez obsession: You ACTUALLY THINK it’s more important to read stats than watch games! I mean, I’ve accused you of that, but I never thought you’d admit it! Schilens happens to have played great on JaMarcus Russell’s last good day, the 20-19 comeback win over the Broncos in 12/09. At that time Schilens and Murphy were playing better than Heyward-Bey and looking like the future for OAK at WR. Try watching the games yourself, ya might learn somethin’! Agree with you about Edwards, though.

106. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Guys I hoped we’d seriously go after: Campbell, Orton, V. Jackson, D. Jackson, Colston, Nicks, Tolbert, Hillis, Robinson, Wayne, Soliai, Winston, Kaeding, Feely. Guys we got that we didn’t already have: O’Dowd (chuckle here, if darkly). So okay, we’ll build thru the draft, Spice, but the problem is by the time we plug all the holes we got that way, Revis, Holmes, and Mangold will have moved on to other teams. Plus we might have the wrong QB to build around. And definitely the wrong HC for the 21st century NFL. The only way I can spin this happily is that Woody is really A LOT less pleased than he’s pretending so he’s locked up the checkbook till January 2013. And that may be okay till the usual excuses for Sanchez come in (“Fire Sparano!”)

107. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Westcoast, it’s one thing not to panic in the opening days of FA, another to do zip and miss out on most every guy you need. Ira, I know you’re like a fighter on his last legs with this mess of a Jet team and FO, and I respect that. But what’s the sense pretending Grossman is of any use? If Sanchez goes down and the team needs a win or 2 to stay in contention, Grossman has as good a chance of blowing it as any former starting QB of the last 10 yrs. Other teams would take a shot on McElroy, who was great on a championship college team, and run an even chance of him surprising everybody and emerging as a valuable player. But not the Jets, who draft guys and don’t develop them, don’t play them, then watch them become stars on other teams…

108. By Brian on Mar 15, 2012 | Reply

How about making a move other than Pouha, Bryan Thomas, and Nick Folk???????? We desperately need a right tackle, HELLO WINSTON!!!!, mabey a safety, come on….we signed a def. lineman we all knew was gonna come back, another one coming off an ach. injury, and our kicker.?…if we dont get winston or another rt tackle, sanchez might have to up his health insuranse policy

109. By Allan O'Dane on Mar 15, 2012 | Reply

Day 3…No LB’s…No Safety….No RT……No RB……….No WR……
    So..scratch off Hillis,Lowery,Robinson,Meecham,Colston,Nicks,Orton,Campbell,Gaither,
    Johnson GONE and I will watch more teams fill in their needs. I would have rather the NYJ FO come out and say “We are in a rebuilding phase now and are going to use the draft” so I can have real low expections this year…But Instead we entertain someone by the name of O’Dowd?!? really?..64Tom, I hope they give this Kid McElory a true shot. But, It would be just like the Jets to let him go and he becomes an elite QB somewhere else.

110. By Tom Spicer on Mar 15, 2012 | Reply

Tom 64, Your selective memory is amazing. Yes I told Joe repeatdly he did not know what he was talking about. After he insulted my mother, wfie & mother in law. I should have said alot more to him than I did.

111. By Tom Spicer on Mar 15, 2012 | Reply

Tom 64, Congrats you found the 1 good game that Schilens had in 4 years. Lets go out & signed him right away. By the way your boy Plax the turtle is so great that all the teams are running out to sign him. OH YEA THATS RIGHT NO ONE IS INTERESTED! Guys like Laurent Robinson who had half of 1 good year as the 3rd WR on the Cowboys are signing 5 year $25 million dollar deals. What does that tell you about Plax mr. Super Bowl winning catch?

112. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Mar 15, 2012 | Reply

I’m with you on the FO and McElroy, Allan, but some Jet fans have to learn the hard way…year after year…decade after decade…if you call that learning…

113. By Chicago Bob on Mar 15, 2012 | Reply

Look around, you don’t see the Pats, Steelers, Ravens, Packers, or Giants throwing around big dollars…….that is because their organizations are built to last and not panic and start throwing money around and overspending. I would love to see the Jets pick up some big name players however not at the kind of money being thrown around right now – this is the kind of nonsense that got the Jets in the position they are in – hopefully they are taking a lesson from these teams – these are the teams that for the last 10 years have proven to be competitive on a yearly basis because they are smart with their checkbooks.

114. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Mar 15, 2012 | Reply

Uh, Chicago Bob, I get your pt but don’t, ah, those teams you mention have, like, the least holes of any teams in the league? Aren’t they, in fact, the BEST TEAMS IN THE LEAGUE? We aren’t in the same galaxy as them! Spicer, having seen almost all of Schilens’ games, I can tell you he has some skills but Heyward-Bey, Murphy, and now Moore have made him expendable. But no, he’s hardly top-tier stuff and by the way, I don’t want Plax back either. And personal insults of the kind joe leveled against your family members are strictly out of bounds…which is why I came down hard today on uncle joe for speculating on MY personal life. That’s cool, someday I’ll let him decide which beaches he prefers, the ones on Staten Island or in Malibu…

115. By Chicago Bob on Mar 15, 2012 | Reply

Yes, Jet Fan Since ’64 Tom, those teams do have the least holes in the league because they approach free agency the right way and do not overspend – the Jets problems are due to a management that prefers to take care of their issues in one season rather than look at the whole picture of being competitive over a course of time. We aren’t in the same galaxy as them because the people that run our show are looking for a quick fix and not the long term solution. All of these teams lose management and or coaches to rival teams because they put together good people, have a long-term plan and stick with it. The money being tossed around is insane and for once (so far) the Jets aren’t among those teams.

116. By westcoastJET28 on Mar 15, 2012 | Reply

Whoa, I had a bad case of dyslexia. Haha. My name is westcoastJET28 not wetscoast… That is pretty funny and the highlight of this offseason for me.

117. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Mar 15, 2012 | Reply

Chicago Bob, everybody here knows that I’d rather build thru the draft almost exclusively like PIT, GB, NE, and DAL. But since the day Rex took over and started his non-stop bragging and predicting, we’ve been told that we’re “built to win now.” Well, that’s obviously a joke, we’re looking more like built to go 2-14. In which case why spend anything of any consequence on anybody over 30? Why give Pouha so much guaranteed cash, why sign Hunter and Thomas at all? The money we tossed at Holmes and especially Cro last yr and Sanchez just now was pretty insane but that’s the NFL these days. The next time a Jet GM has $ to spend insanely, he’ll do it. I just have a feeling it won’t be a GM named Tannenbaum — and it’ll mean spending for a new QB.

118. By ryan mckenna on Mar 15, 2012 | Reply

how old is sanchez? what was our defense ranked at the end of last year?how many all pro players has Tanny drafted? quit your bitching. we’ll be fine next year.just as long as the Dolphins don’t get Manning.

119. By Chicago Bob on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Things could be worse Tom, we could have Charley Winner, Lou Holtz, Joe Walton, Bruce Coslet or Rich Kotite at the controls. There are still some quality players available on the right side of 30 – hopefully we can nail down a few and not break the bank.

120. By DG on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

1- Pass Rusher Please

2- Running Back Please

3- Right Tackle PLEASE!!!!!

4- Possession Receiver Please

5- Staduim back in NY where the team belongs… ;)

J-E-T-S!!

121. By Chicago Bob on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Raiders just released Wimbley, he could possibly be our version of Lamar Woodley. I would be very surprised when the smoke clears by Monday we do not wind up with Nelson or Landry. McClain is still out there as a replacement for Bart Scott and now that the Bills signed Williams, the Jets interest in Winston may come about. Henderson (LB – Vikings) is young and a very highly regarded linebacker. Still plenty of time to make some good moves and not screw up the salary cap.

122. By CarpenterDon on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Matthew Stafford hasn’t beaten the Packers yet. Drew Stanton has! He’s a competitor. I would like to see him as a Jet. He and Calvin had an 83 yd TD against the bears. Is he Matt Stafford? No! He is a talented guy though!

123. By JACK on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Well your wish came through Drew Stanton is a jets now. Jets also signed WR Chaz Schilens Now let go and get a Safeties and a break through RB, like Mike Tolbert.

124. By JOHNNYA on Mar 21, 2012 | Reply

What is it going to take to get this organization to act like a professional football team should. IE; the Colts, Steelers, THE GIANTS, PATS, ETC?? What do they not understand? They trade picks every freaking year like they are a bunch of kids trading baseball cards thirty yrs ago and, as a result, we have no depth. They secured all this cap room and what happens? they dont get the 2 safeties they need, they get used by one to go to cincinnati of all places and then the second rb we all know they need comes in for a visit &he too uses jets for leverage to go the great bengal organization. all you got to show for this off season is chaz schillins n LANDRY WHO I HOPE IS HEALTHY. IVE HAD IT, MAN!

125. By JOHNNYA on Mar 21, 2012 | Reply

IT’S TIME FOR TANNENBAUM TO STEP ASIDE AND HAND THE REIGNS TO CLINKSCALES OR EVEN BRADWAY AGAIN. TERRY BRADWAY WASNT BAD HIS FIRST GO AROUND AND HE NO DOUBT HAS LEARNED FROM THE MISTAKES WITH THE MEDIA AND THE PRESSURE IN NY. HES A PRO PERSONNEL GUY(YEAH HET OOK THOMAS OVER ED REED…IM STILL NOT OVER THAT ONE). ITS TIME FOR TANNENBAUM TO GO.

126. By JOHNNYA on Mar 21, 2012 | Reply

This team should take notice how the free agents do not want to come here and are only using them as leverage.Woody, you should realize this above all. you are the owner and it looks like ur going to be starting all over again within one calendar year!

127. By JOHNNYA on Mar 21, 2012 | Reply

lastly…..if this terrible tebow move comes down we willl lose mcelroy who will be a good qb in this league. leave it to the jets to hit it big nwith a qb late and not realize it. this is going to be jeff blake redux