• Tue., Sep. 30, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Extra Point Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences
  • Wed., Oct. 01, 2014 2:15 PM - 2:30 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Wed., Oct. 01, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences every Monday and Wednesday from the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center. Jets Open Mic is a 30-minute telecast throughout the NFL season.
  • Thu., Oct. 02, 2014 2:00 PM - 2:15 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Thu., Oct. 02, 2014 3:30 PM EDT Live Press Conference: Coordinators Jets special teams coordinator Thomas McGaughey, offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg and defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman will address the media.
  • Thu., Oct. 02, 2014 9:30 PM - 10:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan Jets Game Plan is a 30-minute preview show hosted by Jeane Coakley with analysts Ray Lucas and Tony Richardson, providing a comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup.
  • Fri., Oct. 03, 2014 12:40 PM - 12:55 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Sat., Oct. 04, 2014 10:00 PM - 10:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan Jets Game Plan is a 30-minute preview show hosted by Jeane Coakley with analysts Ray Lucas and Tony Richardson, providing a comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup.
  • Mon., Oct. 06, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences every Monday and Wednesday from the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center. Jets Open Mic is a 30-minute telecast throughout the NFL season.
  • Mon., Oct. 06, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Inside the Jets

Martin Chooses Parcells as His HOF Presenter

Posted by Randy Lange on April 10, 2012 – 9:04 am

It’s not exactly a news flash since we saw it coming down Paterson Plank Road months — make that years — ago, but Jets great Curtis Martin has confirmed that he has chosen former Jets coach Bill Parcells to be his presenter at his Pro Football Hall of Fame induction ceremonies in Canton, Ohio, on Aug. 4.

“I wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for him,” Martin told the Canton Repository on Monday at the Hall of Fame, where he was making one of his pre-induction visits to meet with the Hall’s staff and get the Canton lay of the land. “You never know how life works. Maybe someone else would have been placed in my life to take the place of Parcells, but I think there’s only one of him. I just don’t see someone else having that type of impact on me.”

Back when we met with Curtis in his Indianapolis hotel room the day of the Super Bowl and of his introduction as a member of the Class of ’12, he showed the depth of his feeling for Parcells when he talked about his getting into the Hall and Parcells, also a final-10 HOF candidate in February, not making it in his third try.

“This year, the more emotional part for me was the fact that Bill didn’t get in with me,” Curtis said. “I’d rather he’d be going in without me. I think what he’s accomplished in this game is phenomenal. It was bittersweet for me.”

The night before, Martin telegraphed to NFL Network’s Fran Charles that Parcells would be his choice as presenter.

“I think it’s a simple decision,” he said then. “I’m definitely not even close to being in this position — I don’t think I’d have played more than four or five years — without Bill Parcells as my mentor.”

Tags: , , ,

164 Responses to “Martin Chooses Parcells as His HOF Presenter”

1. By uncle joe on Apr 10, 2012 | Reply

Yeah Martin,and hey didn’t Tannenbaum orchistrate that poison pill signing to wrestle a Hall of Fame RB from our rivals? what a terrible GM!!!!!!!!

2. By uncle joe on Apr 10, 2012 | Reply

I’m with your comments from last Radar,Ira. The Jets stopped themselves from pushing the panic button and over spending on FAs and can now address future financial problems. We all get mad when the Jets don’t give our own players a shot,well I think ALL our backups will get their fair shot to compete this season! and you know what,,,over paid stars usually lose to hungry,underpaid,overacheivers.

3. By uncle joe on Apr 10, 2012 | Reply

It could end up to be a pretty fun,exciting season with competition across the team. I for one am looking to see these young LBs we have,the Ballores,Maugas,McIntire and Berings. And maybe my boy Maybin can make me proud!

4. By uncle joe on Apr 10, 2012 | Reply

And a few points before I go FULL DRAFT MODE. One,,Please,PLease OH PLEASE can NE’s TE Gronkowski win the spot on the New Madden Cover. If he does I think we win the Division!

5. By uncle joe on Apr 10, 2012 | Reply

Two, if Revis is to get MORE money he needs to step up and be a REAL leader on this team. You can’t let nonsense go on in YOUR Locker room,not address it or bring it up to your coaches and then talk about it at the end of the season. Be a Man Revis, I feel like he is becoming a little bit of a Diva & just worrying about his play. When you get a raise in life it’s usually because you are taking on more responsibilities

6. By uncle joe on Apr 10, 2012 | Reply

Three, I LOVE the Rugby player signing,no risk potential HIGH reward,but Tebowing that Cumberland makes a full comeback,he looked like he was gonna have a great season last year and although I’ve been screaming to trade Keller for years I am very happy they are looking to extend him now. Aside from his shortcomings-6’2″ TE is pitiful!- he has been the ultimate team player and seems like the perfect veteran to have in this Locker room right now.

7. By IRA on Apr 10, 2012 | Reply

Wonder how Parcells is going to induct Curtis while he is busy coaching the Saints?

8. By uncle joe on Apr 10, 2012 | Reply

And with Sanchez grabbing us a Mexican fan base,Tebow bringing his followers, the both of them bringing in women fans-still laugh about those two girls at the Giants Parade that were looking for Sanchez- and this Australian player if he works out bringing maybe an Australian fan base, New York,,, if we ever got to the SuperBowl,with those guys all contributing,,,it could be CRAZY

9. By IRA on Apr 10, 2012 | Reply

uncle joe, You will never have to worry about Revis’ play. He gives 110% all the time in practices and games.
    As for the money thing well its unrealistic money for me and i would guess many of the readers and posters here. I have always thought and still do think its crazy what these owners and players make. I have changed my feelings and at least in football totally back the players. They should get the most they can whenever they can. Not only could your career be over in 1 play they will cut you in a split second or when they have another option ASAP too.

10. By scjoe on Apr 10, 2012 | Reply

According to ESPN NY, the Jets are really “buzzed” by an upcoming visit with Floyd (WR form ND) So, let me see if I understand this correctly, Sparano is brought in to run Rex’s “ground and pound” We give up a #4 and a #6 to acquire Tebow to come in and further enhance that “ground and pound” and NOW, there is talk of selecting a WR in the first round of the draft. Am I missing something here? I would think that if you are so committed to running a “ground and pound” offense, a dynamic RB or a top O lineman would make much more sense with atht # 1 pick. 64, more then ever, I see where you are coming from.

11. By Allan O'Dane on Apr 10, 2012 | Reply

We need players that can start right away. Besides Decastro and the kid from USC there’s only a few O-lineman left that can start now. Wisconsin has some big boys to look at. NFL ready players will come from LSU and Bama…and the more I see clips of this kid Barron he looks like the real deal. He has the size to tackle and cover TE’s. Could he be the next ED or Troy?…hate to pass him up if he falls to #16. With all the draft picks we have it’s time to build this team the right way…

On Parcells; I believe he will not coach the Saints because that will push him back another 5 years (I think) to be voted into the HOF.

12. By Karan on Apr 10, 2012 | Reply

Jets for the Super Bowl baby, wayy tooo early and a boatload of things to fix but I believe.

13. By Karan on Apr 10, 2012 | Reply

If the Jets make the playoffs, i would love for them to face the Patriots, Ravens or Broncos. Patriots for obvious reasons, we all hate ‘em, Ravens because i can’t remember the last time Jets beat Ravens and what better place than in the playoffs? And i would love for Sanchez and Tebow to put on a beating on John Elways team. Always liked Manning though. You’ll have to forgive me for imagining such things and speaking too early, but after last seasons disaster, I’m playoff deprived.

14. By Karan on Apr 10, 2012 | Reply

Shouldn’t bring race into this, mexican fans, christian fans, whatever, we should all be fans because this is our team. Race shouldnt even be a topic on this site.

15. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 10, 2012 | Reply

Sorry, uncle joe, everything you say here today sounds like somebody’s got a gun to your head. But it does surprise me that someone who’s been watching the team so long can get excited about fantasies of female fans adoring Sanchez and Tebow. I’d be more impressed with NFL players respecting them. scjoe, your analysis of the possible Floyd pick is just another example of why I say that Mr T and Rex have no overall direction, which maybe makes sense if you feel your job could be over in only a matter of months. As for Martin and Parcells, call me when the headline is, “New Jet owner Martin hires Parcells as GM.” And Ira, if players should get all they can, what’s wrong with signing at least a few decent FA’s who deserve a big deal? Nothing.

16. By GaryC on Apr 10, 2012 | Reply

I can see Floyd becoming another Roy Williams,high pick,little production.

17. By wayne on Apr 10, 2012 | Reply

Uncle Joe you are confusing drawing up contracts and legal gobbledegook with the construction and fielding of a winning football team….. Are not now insinuating that while Parcells was in the house the real mover and shaker was your boy Tannenbaum? All he’s done is fritter away draft picks, chase down other team’s players and made a couple finds in the later rounds. The best of which he could not keep…………..He was hired to do contracts and figure out the salary cap, don’t go turning him into George Young. He knows nothing about football. That’s why he deferred to Mangini and made awful picks and why he once again defers to Rex. Parcells couldn’t get to buy the groceries but Mangini and Rex get to? PLEASE.

18. By Christopher on Apr 10, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, don’t get too excited, or disappointed, with the draft “buzz”, it can be used to create demand, and/or hide your true intentions.

19. By joe on Apr 10, 2012 | Reply

INTERESTING all fans LIVING IN A JET FANTASYLAND please correct me if any of the following is WRONG.We are a 500 team who did not beat a team with a winning record all year.We are trying to employ a 2 qb system while no Nfl ever HAS WON A SUPER BOWL USING 2 QBS.Our coach going into his 4th year has not won a single title of any time since hes been here. THOUGH HE DOES TALK A GREAT GAME Our new OC got FIRED from his last team because he lost too many games.Our GM has not drafted an all star player in 4 years

20. By joe on Apr 10, 2012 | Reply

Come on people PLEASE STOP WITH THE INSANITY ABOUT BEATING ELITE TEAMS with elite QBS ECT AS your only FOOLING YOURSELVES.You are what your record says you are.Untill we bring in here a regime that can get us a TRUE RRO BOWL LEVEL QB WE WILL ALWAYS BE THE SAME OLD JETS ONE OF THE MOST SNAKE BIT FRANCHISES IN NFL HISTORY.We have not won a championship in 40 plus years for one simple reason and one simple reason only= = = OUR PLAYERS ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH

21. By Jimmer on Apr 10, 2012 | Reply

UncleJoe just made me think of something. If LT was this great locker room guy and everything else a HOF player brings, exactly how did the finger pointing on offense happen? He says he wants to play, but not in our locker room? I did want him back, now after reading his comment on Revis, I don’t think so. But it also, AND DON’T KILL ME FOR THIS, makes me wonder how it can happen with Mangold around.

22. By Jimmer on Apr 10, 2012 | Reply

Ira, no way in the world would NO try to stop Parcells from that. They might have did us dirty on the trade deal with Vilma, I’d never trade with them again on that one. But no way do they try to wreck a HOF induction, they would be looked upon with disgust from even their own players.

23. By Jimmer on Apr 10, 2012 | Reply

Wayne, ease up a little. Tanny really is an awesome number cruncher. I forget the name of the guy he replaced, who really was a good football guy. But I know he stayed with the team. I’m unsure if he’s still here, no roster of the scouting dept. etc….
    But when a coach swears they need an upgrade at any position in order to win, and they swear a guy named Vernon Gholston is the answer, you can’t blow it off and draft something you’re already deep at because the best value is there.
    How many years/picks did it take the Lions to finally get a winner @ WR?

24. By Tom Spicer on Apr 10, 2012 | Reply

SCJoe, I think the only way the Jets take Mike Floyd is if Melvin Ingram, Dave Decastro & Mark Barron are gone. I dont think they want to have to reach for a player that does not belong in that spot. They are going with the best player available if they happen to take him.

25. By MIKE on Apr 10, 2012 | Reply

The Jets really need a couple guys on the roster to emerge this season. Maybin needs to get 8 + sacks along with Mo Wilkerson who needs to push the pocket. Would be nice to see Turner outplay Chaz as the #2 WR, along with McKnight to become more than a kick returner. Even if two of the draft choices can become starters, which is all you can really ask for, it will take a couple of the guys mentioned for the Jets to make playoffs.

26. By Jimmer on Apr 10, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, there is this older than dirt thing, called slight of hand. I certainly hope that’s all this is. Drafting a WR in the 1st rd is akin to cutting off your ear because the wife doesn’t stop nagging. Look at what weve had the past few years. BE, SH and Cotchery in 2010 wasn’t good enough? We had to tweak that? SH, Plax $ Kerley? Still no good?
    It wasn’t the WR’s, it was the system. Keeping MS upright will give any WR a better chance of success.
    The only thing I pray for, is a fair chance for MS, TT and GM to have an equal and fair shot to be the starter. If we keep the current OL, I have to give GM the upper hand. He can get rid of the ball the quickest. No new WR needed either.

27. By DKM on Apr 10, 2012 | Reply

uncle joe……. first off Mr. T didnt become GM until 2006 when he sucseeded Terry Bradway, he came to the Jets in 1997 as capologist or better known as Player Contract Negotiater, he had very little to do with the Draft selections in the Parcells era.
    And when he finally had a chance to give his deconstructive input E. Mangini told him i select the players and you figure out how to sign them and we all know what happend afterwords incl. the abissmal decision to bring B. Favre here wich Mr. M wanted no part off.
    So your soooo beloved Mr. T can crinch numbers but doesnt know how to pick Football Players and dont count on it in this upcomming Draft.

28. By DKM on Apr 10, 2012 | Reply

Uncle joe…………. explain to me that, how comes you telling People to lay of TT and give him a chance but scream for D.Keller with his shortcomings (and list his Height) to be traded . Have you been watching the games has it sliped your mind that Keller has been longer in the game than TT and has proven more to the Jets Fans and his Team then TT ever did to the Broncos or you for that matter, unless you been watching to many Bronco games.

29. By DKM on Apr 10, 2012 | Reply

uncle joe …………. dont get me wrong i like optimism but yours is lacking any substance or you just dont wanna see the shortcomings of the Jets or there horrendous Offseason so far.

Well IRA he will and he schould induct him. HE IS NOT INTERRESTED IN THE SAINTS JOB. Wise move if you ask me.

30. By DKM on Apr 10, 2012 | Reply

Here is what i think of M. FLOYD with the 16th pick…… K.JOHNSON anyone?

31. By DKM on Apr 10, 2012 | Reply

scjoe …….. im with you on the Smith thing it will never happen waste of time the coaching stuff could use the time and energy somewhere else.

32. By IRA on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

Tom,
    Because they have probably saved much of the money for Keller and Revis. I would doubt very much Revis steps foot on the field this year or next for 20 mill less than he has made over the past two years. Sorry its a business and thats how its works for both sides.

33. By uncle joe on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

Karan, I’m just saying that our fan base can grow from these players to people outside of New York,not being racist.

34. By uncle joe on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

And wayne, I’m just saying that Tannenbaum wrote up a contract at that time for Martin that made it impossible for New England to match! I think he is a great GM because he somehow seems to always get the player that his coach wants. But frittering draft picks away for Revis,Harris,Cromartie,Holmes,Sanchez,Edwards,Thomas Jones and all those other bad moves he makes,,,,yeah you may be right I’m a little confused!And he chased so many other teams players this year!

35. By uncle joe on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

64 Tom, Brady,you closet Patriots fan,yes I am excited about the fact that more people like my team than before. I am happy about a lot of things,the only thing that makes you happy is being UNHAPPY! WHAT FREE AGENTS DID YOU WANT THEM TO GET?

36. By SCfromNY on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

With all the holes the Jets have along with so many aging players it does not make sense to pick up a lot of high priced free agents. You watch, this is really going to be a rebuilding year. Tebow was brought in to excite the fans because the team will probably not do very well. I hope I am wrong but I don’t think so.

37. By IRA on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

DKM,
    Agree at 70 yrs old God Bless him but its too much of a workload at that stage of your life. You would think he would be much happier up at Saratoga watching the horses run.
    uncle joe,
    Please the picks they gave away to go up and draft Revis and Harris how in the world can anybody question those moves? Did you know that Harris was the only player in the NFL last year to have 4 picks and 5 sacks. Yeah he never gets the pops that Willis, Vilma and other top LB’s get but Harris is right there with them.
    GO JETS!!!!

38. By Allan O'Dane on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

M.Floyd for our 1st rd pick? I’m not really sold on that one. You can get a WR in the later rounds. We need to address the defense or the RT spot. Our defense needs speed and youth. I would like to see the NYJ build a solid O-line, but as the months…weeks..days go by we still haven’t addressed our RT issue. Someone here mentioned that the Eagles O-lineman Peters went down and right away they signed the next best O-lineman available in FA T/D.Bell.
    So, the NYJ has had every chance to at least upgrade that position but rather sit back and do nothing. I have watched the titans,bucs,bears and 49ers fill their pressing needs with GOOD players that will have an impact right away. The only guy NYJ signed to me that was decent was Landry.

39. By Allan O'Dane on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

We can’t afford another gholston or a Blair Thomas..( Geez remember that guy?) for our 1st pick. We need someone in the 1st rd to start now..an impact player. I like Upshaw/Barron/Couples/Brockers/Ingram in that order. Can Holmes be a true #1 WR? Can Turner or Chaz S. step up and be #2? Will Keller and Cumberland and this Aussie kid be a good TE combo? Is Greene a #1 RB? Do we have a Rob Turner type O-lineman that can step in incase of an injury? So many questions..
    Rex choose the wrong guys to be captains last year. Offense: QB / co captain: Mangold.Defense: Revis / co-captain Harris . Special Teams: E.Smith…simple

40. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

uncle joe, you’re happy like a guy on sedation before life-threatening surgery. There is very little to be happy about with a team that may need a LG and already needs a RT, WR, maybe an RB, at least 1 DL guy, at least 1 LB, and probably 2 S but pretends it doesn’t. I listed all the FA’s we shoulda gone after as they disappeared as did a dozen folks on this site, so I’m not dignifying that insincere question with an answer. Get it right the first time, as in learn to read and retain information. As far as happiness goes, only a total fool would be all that happy with this team and org as it now stands. I’ll be happy when we can beat NE by scoring a lot of pts on them, win the division, and win multiple SBs over several yrs.

41. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

Ira, I love you but you’d find something to cheer about on the day that a meteor struck the earth and ended all life forms on it. All you’re doing with your latest comment is praising the Jets for signing the best CB in the league, so what? As for Keller, he’s okay, could be replaced, wouldn’t be missed with a different system and new guys, and isn’t worth breaking the bank for. His blocking is still questionable and he still disappears on key plays — and for key games. The endless pampering of Sanchez isn’t enough reason to treat him like he’s Antonio Gates. But in the fragile eggshell minds (to quote Mr. Mojo Risin) of some Jet fans, battered by failure and afraid to envision success, he’s a star. That’s just more loser thinking.

42. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

And to both Ira and scjoe, as an illustration of how your often blandly, unthinkingly optimistic viewpts fail to measure up to (or even acknowledge) reality at times: I said in about November that with Satele getting pushed out at C on OAK, he’d make an ideal backup C. Four months later, he goes to TB, I think it was, apparently with us contacting OAK about Schilens but not about him. We still have no backup C of any experience and there was one with experience who wouldn’t have commanded a big payday. To simply say “Go Jets!” and act as if this kind of ineptitude isn’t taking place on a daily basis calls into question the credibility of your opinions on other matters of substance.

43. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

and uncle joe, since you’re trying to pretend that there were no FAs worth pursuing, a strategy as empty as Obama’s pretense that his policies have had no ill effect on the economy, TB signed V Jackson, Nicks, Okoye, and Wright — all players that I’d suppose you’d say are too expensive or aren’t needed by us or anything else you can imagine to preserve your mighty fortress of much-cherished but unhinged-from-reality “optimism.” That kind of optimism is closer to a schizophrenic’s madness but fine, I know you won’t come out of it until you really want to. Oh, and I stand corrected, Satele went to IND, another powerhouse that somehow scored out better in his eyes than us. Of course, that team IS about to rebuild the right way…

44. By uncle joe on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

DKM, I’m sorry I can’t respond to your questions because I can’t really understand what you write. Are you mad at me,,,agree with me,,,I just don’t know!

45. By uncle joe on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

I just always thought that the scouts find the players that the coach is looking for and the GM is responsible for actually getting the player that the coach wants and getting that player signed. If that is his job description then I think it’s undeniable that Tannenbaum is one of the Best.

46. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

That’s exactly why many of us advocate getting a GM with a background in football instead of bean-counting, uncle joe. That way, when the scouts let you down — and our scouts have sure done a bit of that in the last ten yrs — there’s some oversight regarding signing guys from a GM who knows MORE about the game than the scouts, not less!

47. By IRA on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

Tom, I believe Slauson could step in at center in a pinch. Lets wait and see what they have at the end of camp. They are well aware of the OL short comings last year and will get it fixed this year. I especially feel good about that with Sparano on board. Always had the highest regard for Callahan but something went wrong last year. Keller has the abilty to be Gates like #’s wise. I do agree with you he does disapears at times. He is still a top 10 TE in the NFL. If i recall Satele’s deal the Fish got rid of him becasue he was too small and not physical enough for the center spot.
    As for being a glass half full guy. Why not? Why go into a season complaining and have a woe is me attitude. Keep the Faith and lets see were we are at come Dec.

48. By uncle joe on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

Tom Brady 64, if the Jets would’ve pursued V.Jackson you would of complained that they are spending too much on WRs when they want to be a run first team and are clueless,much like you said above about drafting Floyd. Nicks would’ve been nice but YES too expensive and been reading alot that once he gets his payday GMs are afraid he might eat himself to death. And why in the HECK would we pay DB Wright to do anything on this team?

49. By uncle joe on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

Hey Tom Brady 64,,,I may be wrong because I can’t learn and retain information but did’nt you just say you were’nt gonna dignify my insincere question with an answer and then two comments later you did? Do you hate yourself too?

50. By jetsfan80 on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

Congrats to Curtis. He is a shining example of a team player. As for the draft, I would hate to see our Jets pass on Barron in the first round if he’s still available. I think the draft priorities for the Jets should be 1. Mark Barron-FS, 2. Zach Brown-OLB/Upshaw-OLB (in that order), 3. Then the best value picks at Tackle, Guard and WR.

51. By uncle joe on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

Ira, one of my favorate Tannenbaum trades was J.Abraham. Sure Abraham went on to have a nice career,but at the time he was always hurt for us. Tannenbaum used that pick to get us the Best Center in Football Nick is Man Gold!

52. By robertpapalia on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

The only old players that the Jets really have are the linebackers. Everywhere else they are fairly young. That said they need to draft some linebackers. Also safeties. They still need a right tackle. Also a wide receiver and maybe a running back. A very important draft for those who make the decesions for the Jets. Definetely make or break time.

53. By Another Tom on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

Hopefully Landry stays healthy and brings a smash mouth/ intimidator factor to our defense..our defense must be dominant..I can foresee alot of low scoring games from our Offense..BTW we could use some intimidators on Offense too. Rob Turner had that attitude but I guess He didnt “fit” ?????

54. By Another Tom on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

The Hayden Smith experiment seems like a shot in the dark..I can imagine that New England showed some interest so Rex swooped in and snatched Him up..Did we take NE ‘s bait again?

55. By scjoe on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

64, I don’t know whether I should take that as a compliment or not, or if you confused me with someone else or not.When you include me, along with Ira in that our “bland,unthinkably optimistic viewpoints” fail to measure up, or even acknowledge reality. Now I know Ira is generally more optimistic then most, but ME? I think that was the first time in years anyone has ever accused me of being “unthinkably optimistic”

56. By scjoe on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

I think some of you are confusing going out and signing “high priced” FAs with going out and signing FAs that “make sense” You tend to lump the two together by saying “I am glad the Jets didn’t go out and spend a lot on free agency” There is quite a difference. I believe the Jets could have helped themselves tremendously by going out and signing a few “make sense” “fill needs” type FAs with out breaking the bank. They did not. They may regret it. Of the few they did sign, only Landry has any chance at all of offering any upgrade. Where is the logic?

57. By Karan on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

Randy, I know its only preseason and not everyone including me at times cares too much for the schedule, but out of curiosity, how come the Jets face the Eagles, Bengals, Texans, Panthers every year? Giants I can understand, but what the other teams?

58. By Randy Lange on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

Karan, the short answer is that they don’t face those teams every preseason. They played the Bengals last year and will play them this year, but the last time they played them before that was 2003. They played the Texans last year in the preseason for the first time. They’ll play the Panthers for only the second time this year after meeting at Carolina in 2010. The long answer is that all teams now get to schedule two of their summer games, and the Jets want to play the Giants and Eagles every year and vice versa. The other two weeks are scheduled by the NFL.

59. By uncle joe on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

Ira, as usual I agree with everything you just said. I also thought Callahan was really good,but wasn’t he the guy that Rex would’nt allow to interview anywhere? It’s a strech,but maybe he was disgruntled and it carried over to his coaching. I still believe that Sporano will get the most out of Ducasse and that he will play pretty decent this year at RT.

60. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

Obvious typo, scjoe, sorry about, that whole series was about Ira and uncle joe’s unthinking optimism, which I often find to be little more than a cop-out. If we let this org off that easy, they’ll keep taking us for granted. uncle joe, you got the WRONG GUY, it was your partner in optimism Ira who didn’t wanna spend for Holmes, Edwards, and J-Co when I said that was our top priority. Which gives me the opportunity to say that teams that don’t wanna spend on WRs, CBs, and S in this day and age are nuts. I said drafting Floyd would be iffy if you’re gonna be a run-first team but as everyone here knows, I think being a run-first team in 2012 is about the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard. Only an O non-entity like Rex would dream of it.

61. By IRA on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

uncle joe,
    You baited me into this one. Yes Mangold is one of the best centers in the NFL right now. And yes it was a good trade. Problem i have is i always debate in my mind if they would’ve been better off keeping Mawae who went on to have 2 or 3 excellent years with the Titans and kept Abe instead. IF Abe was able to stay healthy like he has for the most part with Atl I wonder if we would’ve got to the big dance? Everybody knows we have been 1 PR away from getting there. Its easy for us to debate this. I do believe Abe wanted and needed a change of scenery.

62. By uncle joe on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

Also, still think Wayne Hunter has what it takes to play RT, the season before last when he came in for Woody he played exceptional against very good defenses.He was very good for us throughout the Playoffs. Last year was just one of those years a team needs every so often to make them stronger,remember the Giants end of season woes in seasons before their SuperBowl runs,,,,just saying.

63. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

Ira, you said the EXACT SAME THING last August, September, and October about Mr T, Rex, and a backup C and then we saw how well Slauson did at C “in a pinch” vs. BAL. Have you never heard Santayana’s “Those who can’t remember the past are condemned to repeat it”? Ira and uncle joe, when you have NO depth at OL and you’re coming off a yr in which you neither ran well nor protected the QB well, you can’t be turning up your nose at proven vets like Nicks, Satele, and others. And uncle joe, I listed who TB signed while we did next to nothing (Landry is “next to,” Tebow and Schilens are “nothing”) as an example. It would take a whole site to list the quality FA’s around the league we could’ve used a couple of and didn’t pursue.

64. By IRA on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

Hopefully we finally get Abe’s replacement at the end of the month. Maybe Branch,Upshaw or Jones. Ingram i just can’t see them trading into the 8 to 10 spot. By any chance he drop to 11 or 12 well then all bets are off. Trader Mike will make a move.

65. By scjoe on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

Spice, Ingram will almost certainly be gone at 16. Barron and Decastro probably 50/50. But that still is not a good enough reason to go with a WR at #16 of the 1st round. Especially if they plan to go with their “pound and ground” like they have been saying. I hate to beat a dead horse, but Miller at that spot would have twice the impact, beginning from day #1 then Floyd will.

66. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

As for half-full/half-empty, Ira, I don’t put labels on my own thinking, that’s neurotic and counter-productive. I just analyze the situation and act. Like it says in the Tao Te Ching, “The Master doesn’t think about his actions, they flow from the core of his being,” and one has to be REALLY out of touch with his core to think this team is doing that well. The entire culture of the Jets has shifted in the direction of hype, boasts, deception, and sometimes outright lies, as I’ve pointed out many times with Mr T and Rex. We don’t draft well, we don’t groom players well, and no one in the NFL is afraid of us. The pessimists are the folks who think it MUST be this way and that Mr T., Rex, Mark, etc, must be treated like fragile little kids.

67. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

Also uncle joe, I only listed Wright because he’s the other player TB signed. He’s not a priority for us but if we’re considering moving Cro to S and starting Wilson, he wouldn’t be bad to have on the roster. Besides, we’re always told how our HC “loves CBs” but last yr he brought back Strickland, which was worse than leaving the roster spot open. Come to think of it, last yr we depleted our S position when what we needed to do was get 2 new starters and of course we paid the price. It shouldn’t be Jet Fan Since ’64 Tom asking in December “Who’s covering Celek?,” it should be Rex asking in August. Just more evidence that Rex has no almost no idea what he’s doing, not even on D. He’s too busy cursing out fans and telling us “Mark” is elite.

68. By Tom Spicer on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

As per Rotoworld Jet team needs 1 Running back: The Jets plan to be among the league’s run-heaviest teams under new offensive coordinator Tony Sparano, but they don’t have a back capable of reaching the perimeter. Shonn Greene is an ordinary talent, showing last year that he’s far from the “bellcow” the club envisioned. 2 Outside linebacker: Calvin Pace is a solid starter, and Aaron Maybin flashed in nickel packages last season. But Rex Ryan lacks a Terrell Suggs-type, every-down edge rusher that would solidify his defense. Don’t be surprised if New York trades up to draft South Carolina’s Melvin Ingram

69. By Tom Spicer on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

As per Rotoworld Jet team needs 3 Wide receiver: The Jets would feel a lot better about this position had Santonio Holmes not played poorly last season before throwing his quarterback under the bus. Chaz Schilens was signed in free agency, but has a checkered injury history and can’t be relied upon as a starting NFL wideout. I think it is suprising that they did not include right tackle & saftey? maybe they were only doing what they thought were the top 3?

70. By Tom Spicer on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

According to Adam Schein of FOXSports.com, Jets owner Woody Johnson and coach Rex Ryan disagree on whether the team should open its doors to the Hard Knocks series in 2012. Amazingly, Rex is the one pushing for discretion. Per Schein, Johnson has told HBO that he wants the Jets to do the show. (Schein also reports that the Jaguars have volunteered for the assignment.) Johnson hopes to dominate the local headlines in August, taking attention away from the Giants and baseball. Rex, however, wants to get away from the circus atmosphere, an ironic sentiment given that he’s been the primary barker every since taking the job.

71. By Tom Spicer on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

That goes back to Woody only caring about making money & not winning. The Jets are the LAST team in the NFL that should be doing hard knocks!

72. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

Just one minor pt, uncle joe: How does a guy who wants the Jets to have a better QB than Brady, a more explosive O than NE, and the ability to beat NE by scoring pts rather than praying that Brady has an off-day become “Tom Brady 64″? You’d do a lot better to take a longer look at your dreams that a team with huge holes in its OL and Tim Tebow throwing and completing 46% of the time to Chaz Schilens and some ex-rugby player at TE will ever have a prayer of beating anybody in our division, much less NE.

73. By Karan on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

I’m glad Rex is against Hard Knocks. Don’t know what the heck is wrong with Johnson. Don’t do it!! I don’t know what else to say loll. I know you want it for business but don’t do it guy.

74. By Karan on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

I see. It’s just feels like we’ve played the Bengals a lot over the last 3 seasons, including playoffs. The best victory was the last game of the 2009 season when Brad Smith just run over everyone. Loved that game.

75. By Karan on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

I’m actually excited to see how the Jets could use Tebow. I don’t want him to be the starter under any circumstances but he could be a weapon in the red zone, he could be our Plaxico in the red zone from last season, of course, Tebow would be rushing. Heck, it would be great to see him receive a couple.

76. By Karan on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

I would be happy if the Jets land Barron or DeCastro, but I have a feeling we’re going to pick the most random name ever, knowing the Jets. I just want it to be a productive pick, that’s all.

77. By GaryC on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

Kiper says you will need to trade up for Ingram and Upshaw stock is falling that is why my guy Perry might be there for Jets and McClellin is also on the rise,can the jets just get one of these guys so I think they know what there doing.

78. By GaryC on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

If the jets select Floyd it will be Kyle Brady all over again.

79. By GaryC on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

looking at the jet roster I find it amazing that they have just three players on their team from the SEC the strongest conference in football and two of those are quarterbacks, tebow and mcelroy and landry they just signed.they almost have as many from UMass.

80. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

Ira, is “something happened” with respect to Callahan’s departure like when politicians say “mistakes were made” or talk of “revenue enhancement”? We’ve heard that Callahan has wanted to be OC and was in the running for HC before Rex got here. I wonder if the Jets told him that he wasn’t getting Schotty’s OC job and he said fine, I’m done with you losers and going to the most financially successful sports franchise in the world today and a team that’s won a bunch of SB’s starting with their 1st only a few yrs after the Jets won theirs. Sure turned out that way…

81. By robertpapalia on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

Wayne Hunter is not a everydown right tackle. He is a reserve at best. To put him in this year will most certainly get your qb killed. I guess nobody remembers what happened last year. What a joke.

82. By danny on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

Joe u say we have no shot to beat a team with a elite QB but 2 seasons ago we went into INDY and NE and beat 2 of the best in their house ????? I watched a lot of Floyd’s career at ND and I think we have other needs but the guy is a BEAST and perfect compliment to Santonio. Guys also if were gonna be ground and pound having threats at wr for playaction only opens up the running game. 2 seasons ago we had Braylon and a hungry Holmes and that helped our running game big time. I rather a O lineman or pass rusher but man I would love to have Floyd on our team. If you seen his 40 time in combine the dude can burn too

83. By danny on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

I love having Cumberland back and 2 TE with holmes and kerley on outside excites me. Uncle Joe don’t worry ur not allowed to be positive on this site or u get shot down by miserable know it all so called fans. I say if you hate our organization so much then jump on another team because plenty of us feel like we have a good football team and were happy with not wasting cash on old overpaid vets. I like Mauga at LB too uncle Joe and think he can step up this season in Barts Louieeee LB spot. I think Mcnight was a great 4th rd pick who is explosive and if they correct his fumble problems he can really help us this yr.. Last yr we had locker issues so we had a tough season so what we have talent and can be back on top and make a run this yr

84. By joe on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

SAID IT ONCE WILL SAY IT AGAIN WOODY JOHNSON DID NOT BECOME A BILLIONARE BY BEING AN IDIOT.The 2012 NY JETS have virtually NO SHOT at winning the SUPER BOWL and WOODY OF ALL PEOPLE KNOWS THIS .If WOODY cant have a LOMBARDI TROPHY he might as well MAKE AS MUCH MONEY AS POSSIBLE..

85. By joe on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

In regards to DESTROYING TEAM CHEMISTRY (TEBOW VERSES SANCHEZ ,PRESSURE FROM HARD KNOCKS ECT )HE DOESNT CARE BECAUSE ITS NOT LIKE HES DESTROYING THE 80S sf 49ers as WE WERE A ROMO FUMBLE FROM HAVING A LOSING RECORD LAST YEAR. WE HAVENT BEAT A TEAM WITH A WINNING RECORD SINCE 2010 People ,please this is a billion dollar business.Most teams have to ACTUALLY WIN A TITLE TO CAPATILIZE ON THE ALMIGHTY DOLLAR BEING IN THE MEDIA CAPITAL OF THE WORLD WE DONT.Unless your a JET FAN LIVING IN A DELLUSIONAL FANTASYLAND ABOUT SUPER BOWL VICTORYS TO COME THIS YEAR WOODYS actions are brillant

86. By joe on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

LETS see do i make an extra 100 plus million dollars or so by intentionally creating a circus like atmosphere and go 500 OR do i keep as low a profile as possible make 0 money and go 500.

87. By joe on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

PS it always goes back TO THE SAME OLD JETS .Untill WOODY gets rid of THIS ENTIRE REGIME and inturn brings a NEW REGIME IN HERE THAT ACTUALLY DRAFTS A PRO BOWL LEVEL QB it basically will be nothing but fighting over WHO HAS THE BEST DECK CABIN ON THE TITANTIC.

88. By RickieNewYork on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

I am very proud to say that I will be traveling to Ohio to watch my FAVORITE ATHLETE EVER go into the HOF, and also go to the HOF game while I am there. This is such a huge deal for me – no one person/player has been as influentual on me as Curtis Martin was – I think he was an example to all of us. The day he retired I said , “That kind of character will be sorely missed in the NFL” , and so far since his departure I’m sad to say but it looks like I couldnt have been more right. On a POSITIVE NOTE I read that the Jets are now in contract talks with DUSTIN KELLER, the last of our ‘core’ players we need to lock up – and I’m very pleased by the move. Now to add a VERY affordable Safety, as Free Safety Tanard Jackson was officially released.

89. By RickieNewYork on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

Jackson had an off year last year as he battled injury after returning from a suspension. True he was suspended once before this – I remember because I saw his first game back from that suspension – he had a PICK SIX! This kid is a proven playmaker who could provide veteran expierience and because of his recent woes probably be had for the minimum. The truth is that Jackson is still a very young (26) and impressionable player who fell victim to a losely run ship, just ask Aqib Talib about that , as if the Bucs implosion and subsequent firing of the coaching staff werent proof enough. Bottom line is they have taken risks before and this is a guy just entering his prime that has made big plays in this league, he just needs a chance.

90. By RickieNewYork on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

Tanard Jackson is a proven playmaker, who has flashed pro-bowl ability as a solid tackler as well as creating turnovers in coverage. As I said he like many others on that Tampa team, which was one of the youngest in the NFL, fell victim to circumstances of a young coaching staff that ran a very very loose ship. Nobody benefited from the inmates running the asylum, but Jackson paid the price more than most. To gain depth at safety with veteran expierience as a starter in the NFL, and for probably the vet minimum, for a 26 yr old guy in his prime with big play potentual is a no brainer. All this kid needs is a change of scenery and another chance, he can be great and Rex would look like a genius if Jackson returns to his pre-suspension form.

91. By IRA on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

Way to go Rex! Was thrilled to read this mornng that Rex doesn’t want to do Hard Knocks. This is the best offseason move they could do up until know. Please Mr Johnson with all due respect listen to your coach. He knows whats best for his football team. I will give you my blessings to do a Hard Knocks after we win a Super Bowl. Too bad about J-Co signing with the Steelers. Wish him luck. His leadership would’ve been priceless but i expect Kerley to take that next step this year and should become more of a factor. No reason why Sparano can’t use him the way the Fish use Bess.
    GO JETS!!!!

92. By uncle joe on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

Thanks Danny, hey seen a Mock Draft where that OT Kalil slipped to 6 and it had the Jets moving up to get him. The article said it would take the Jets 1st & 2nd to move up,sounds GREAT to me!

93. By Allan O'Dane on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

Karen,
    You would think as an owner and seeing and hearing what a joke his team was last year he wouldn’t want “Hard Knocks” anywhere near his team. But, Woody cares about the NY back pages and craves the media attention. I can bet you that Rex got some feedback from his Old man Buddy Ryan and told him he doesn’t need this mess right now. This was a VERY wise choice by Rex to turn down Hard Knocks. He needs to pull this team together, this nonsense in the lockeroom was part his fault. Plus he knows his job is on the line…

94. By uncle joe on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

Ira, the worst thing that can happen to this team right now would be HardKnocks, but I have to admit it would be Awesome TV. I think the whole world would wanna watch it! Can’t help but wonder if not going to Cortland last year contributed to the lockerroom mess.

95. By uncle joe on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

Nice, Holmes invites Sanchez and the WRs to train with him this week leading into next week’s full team practice. Holmes’ long time trainer says he knows for a fact Holmes & Sanchez are close,then goes on with Rave reviews of Sanchez,including that he thinks the Jets are lucky to have him.They are not allowed to have the Playbook yet but Sanchez has notes with him from his time working with Pennington. There it is Tom Brady 64,,,I laid the foundation,now start your complaining in 3,2,1

96. By uncle joe on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

Last season hurt but it did’nt kill us and what does not Kill you can Only make you STRONGER! Bring on the OTAs Baby!!!!!Lets get this thing ROLLING!!!

97. By wayne on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

Ira, you think he learned his lesson? So did I until he decided he was going to warn the rest of the teams about what was coming with Tebow……….He is incapable of changing…..And he has said so……Man says, I’m not changing……………….NOW HE DOESN’T WANT THE CIRCUS!!!?……..too late……..some of us were screaming about that from day one, while the rest of you ate it up……….NOW HE WANTS TO CRY UNCLE…..If he wants to keep this job or have any other HC oppty(he and his brother), he now must prove he can deal with the chaos…..FIX IT!!!!!!!……………………..Karan, it was ALL his fault. He condoned it. Told his players to speak their minds. He used it to recruit…

98. By scjoe on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

The dumbest thing the Jets can do, in this off season of really dumb moves, would be to move up for anyone! After giving up a #4 the last thing I want to see is give up a #2 and move up for another Gholston. At #16 either Barron, Decastro, Ingram or Glenn will be there, one of them should be the pick. If they trade down a few spots and select Miller, Perry or Martin that would be even better. But if they are thinking of trading up I would hope it would be for either Richardson or Coples.

99. By scjoe on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

Uncle Joe, Kalil is a LT. We have a LT, You think it is a good idea to move up to #6, give up a #2, pay him LT money and play him at RT? Especially when guys like Adams and Martin who are better suited to play RT will be sitting there at 16? In both cases you can probably move down a few spots to select them and possibly pick up a #4 maybe a #3 depending how far someone else comes up.

100. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

What you’re forgetting about when we beat IND and NE, danny, is that those were two of the best games Sanchez played for us, i.e. in those games we pretty much had our own elite QB. He needs to perform at that level almost all the time, not once in awhile.

101. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

ESPN says “Cotchery to rejoin PIT WR corps” or “corpse,” as our president (of the nation, not the Jets) would pronounce it. Fine with me, maybe now some fans will stop living in dreams of J-Co and BE returning and magically picking up where they left off. That doesn’t mean I want Floyd at #1, though, not after reading Cimini’s piece today. I haven’t paid much attention to Floyd not only because of what GaryC said about Notre Dame and failed NFL WRs but because ND itself ain’t nearly what it used to be. But more specifically on him, just what we need — a WR with off-the-field issues who can’t get separation and had 1 catch of 35 yds or more last yr! Like even Karan said about Jet drafts, such a player might be a typical high Jet pick bust.

102. By robertpapalia on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

Stop giving away draft choices for the so called next great player. That is no way to build a team.

103. By uncle joe on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

Well while we are on the Radar of a Running Back with the last name Martin,,, I commented over a month ago that I thought RB Doug Martin was the best RB in this draft and took some heat for that statement. He is now being labeled by those Gurus as the clear second RB and a first round talent. I think Richardson is awesome but I’m afraid of his injury and the team he came from, it scares me that Alabama has so many projected 1st rounders in this draft.

104. By Tom Spicer on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

2 weeks to the draft CANT WAIT!

105. By uncle joe on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

Yeah,sorry scjoe, I’m just starting to get antsy. The ONLY trade the Jets should make is back,back again and then keep going to the earliest the end of the 1st round. I really don’t trust ANY of these top picks this year. It seems like just about every projected top 20 pick has some kind of Red Flag. We can ONLY afford to make a mistake if we have an Extra amount of picks to make up for it.

106. By Allan O'Dane on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

If Barron falls to #16 we have to take him. This kid can play right now. He can cover and hit. Perfect height & weight to handle TE’s. Second round grab a LB..maybe a Vontaze B. or RB D.Martin. Use the 3rd to select a WR or a RT. If we can get Barron our secondary maybe the best in the NFL with Revis and Cro at corners..and IF. Landry stays healthly Wideouts better keep their heads up because those two safeties can bring the wood! I am trying my best to think positive about the front seven. Pace and Thomas good in run support..Maybin as the DPR. Mauga and Bellmore need to show something…Harris is still the man. Scott?…let’s see. I like this kld from Boston College Luke Kuchely what a ILB tadem that would make with Harris…

107. By Allan O'Dane on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

Unless we make a move for a veteran RT it’s going to be a long season for GQ & TT. And please I don’t want to hear about Vlad and Hunter. Vlad still needs more coaching. Hunter is a career back-up. It’s going to be VERY interesting come draft day…

108. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

uncle joe, I don’t even believe you’re the same guy who used to post the game-day menus. This juvenile, starry-eyed, fact-free person who’s posting now and raves about things like “awesome TV” sounds more like nephew joe. And that’s what I’ll call you until you drop the Tom Brady 64 thing or explain how someone who wants a QB better than Brady on the Jets becomes the bad guy. Again, that sounds like a prepubescent boy, weirdly fascinated by desirable objects (in that context, of the opposite sex) but baffled as to what the heck you’re supposed to do with them. You can call the adult ed center for the sex ed but I’ll tell you what you do with QBs like Brady, Brees, Ben R, and the Mannings — you win SBs, something we haven’t done in awhile.

109. By Tom Spicer on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

Cotchery signed for 2 years & 3 MIL so ruffly 1.5 MIl per year. Could we not have signed him for that? On the Steelers he will be the 4th WR behind Wallace, Sanders & Brown. We could have said you will start & be our #2 & got him for that same low number. Exactly what is the Jet plan cause I dont think they have 1.

110. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

wayne, good post on Rex, it’s astounding to me that some still don’t see through this guy. Unfortunately, some people simply have no right-brain powers of pattern recognition, which are the key to survival anywhere, including in the NFL. But then, Jet fans who are raving about this wonderful franchise that celebrates AFC championship LOSSES, hasn’t won anything in almost 50 yrs, and who never go off this site for fear of seeing how 31 other cities consider us the biggest joke in the league can’t exactly be said to be ahead of the curve in any way…

111. By Tom Spicer on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

So much for Tebow cleaning up the locker room & being this great leader. As per Rotoworld Broncos WR Demaryius Thomas said Thursday that he wasn’t “sad” to hear Tim Tebow was traded because he “wasn’t getting no balls” last season. Although Tebow was portrayed as a locker room leader, Thomas revealed that teammates would call him out by saying, “Tim you gotta make that throw. You gotta read the defenses better.”

112. By Tom Spicer on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

SCJoe, I can see trading up for Trent Richardson but you would trade up for Coples? Not me the only player in this draft that I would trade up for is Trent Richardson. I would also rather have Ingram & Decastro over Coples. I may even want Barron, Upshaw & Floyd over Copels I have to think about it. I keep reading that Coples didnt give 100% that scares me.

113. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

Spicer, I like both of your posts today. One recognizes that there is no plan on the Jets, just desperate flailing to get headlines on the part of folks who, I expect, sense their time at Florham Park isn’t long. The other actually discusses — I know this is a sin in the eyes of the Tebow Totalitarians and even some Jet fans determined to avoid reality — HOW BADLY THE GUY PLAYS QB! No doubt you’ll come in for some ridicule from nephew joe for your posts, as he prefers to celebrate failure rather than strive for success. Probably one of those guys that Governor Christie referred to the other day, sitting on the couch and waiting for somebody else to make his life happen. Well, that’s not the way success happens in the NFL, never did…

114. By Tom Spicer on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

What exactly is the Jet plan they fire Schotty which everyone thinks is a good move. Than they bring is Sprano as OC but he has never been a OC? They say they are going back to the ground & pound but they dont address right tackle or runnning back in free agency? Then they go after Peyton get turned down but Woody say we turned him down LOL. I thought we were going back to the ground & pound? If so why go after Peyton? Than they sign Mark to a new contract & sign Stanton. But less than a week later trade a 4th & a 6th for Tebow & tell him he is our #2 & guarnetee him playing time? But nobody else in the NFL wanted Tebow but us & the Jags & the Jags are his home town LOL. The Jags told him he would be there 3rd QB so he choose us cause we

115. By IRA on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

Tom,
    Sorry while i would’ve loved to have J-Co back he is not a #2 wr anymore. They neeed to add speed and size like B. Quick maybe in the 3rd.
    wayne,
    Come on man give Rex a break. I think it was great he went public with his opinion on not having Hard Knocks this year. Lets all please just wait and see where this team is at at least by the bye week.

116. By Tom Spicer on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

tell him he will play not cause of Rex like he said. The Jets say the believe in there QB but they bring in Tebow to take his reps? The Jets have clear needs which ever fan knows them WR, RB, RT, OLB & Saftey & we are $7,500,000 under the cap. Yet we signed 1 guy in free agency Laron Landry? Now I know there are posters who are happy that we did go all crazy spending money but there were & still are guys out there that we can sign for realtively cheap & will come in & start & be instant upgrades. For example the Steelers have Wallace, Sanders & Brown 3 good NFL WR’S yet they still went out & signed Cotchery for next to nothing by NFL standards to have 4 good WR’S. Yet we have 1 good WR & the Jets have done nothing to improve that spot.

117. By Tom Spicer on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

Another example the Pats have Welker, Grodkowski, Hernandez, Ocho, Branch yet this off season they still went out & signed Lyod, Stallworth & Gonzales. Yet again the Jets have sat back & done nothing & the 1 big move they did make is the 1 they 100% should not have made bringing in Tebow. Talk about a bad off season this one takes the cake. Last year at least they tried to make up for there losses in Braylon, Cotchery & Woody by bringing in 38 year old stone hands mason & washed up only good in the red zone Plax. This year they have done nothing I dont get it I just dont get it.

118. By Charliejet on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

According to one source, Ryan does NOT want to be on hard knocks again. If that is true my stock has gone back up for Ryan. But according to the same source Woody Johnson does want to be on hard knocks again. You know what Woody, sell the team make yourself a nice “little” profit move on and let someone else own the team. WHAT A JOKE. Curtis Martin – hook up with Trump will ya’. Buy the team
    build your OWN stadium in NEW YORK and make a winner out of this franchise.

119. By Allan O'Dane on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

CharlieJet.
    I have been saying that the NYJ should have their own stadium for the longest. How else can you get from under the Giants shadow. NYJ will always be the “little” brother. I do believe we are the only NFL team to share the same house. 64Tom and SOME other fans here agree with the idea of Woody selling the team to Martin & Co. This man has the business smarts and knows the game of football. My vision is to have Bill Polian as the GM and Bill Cowher as the HC. I would keep Tanny for his cap skills. ( He is good with crunching numbers I have to admit that one ). If Rex can’t get it done this season..he maybe on the hotseat….

120. By robertpapalia on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

It`s like I have been saying all along. These guys don`t know what they are doing. Right tackle has not been addressed. We still don`t have a pass rush. The safety position is suspect. We do have only one good wide receiver. And yet we are to believe that all are concerns will be addressed in the draft. This I have got to see. Truth of the matter is that somebody will be fired at the end of the year for this upcoming debacle.

121. By joe on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

Tom JET FAN SINCE 64 Danny is celebrating THAT WE WERE GOOD EHOUGH YEARS AGO TO REACH 2 AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAMES .The fact that WE LOST BOTH GAMES is not revelant in DANNYS EYES..Tom thats HOW PATHETHIC it has become around here .Danny also thinks that THE media is OUT TO DESTROY THIS FRANCHISE .AGAIN THE FACT THAT WE ARE ONE OF THE MOST FUTILE ORGANIZATIONS IN THE NFL HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE ANYTHING.

122. By joe on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

WAYNE FANTASTIC POINTS as REXs ACTIONS since he took this JOB ENABLED this ENTIRE CIRCUS TO HAPPEN. FOR years REX HAS GONE OUT OF HIS WAY to create ATTENTION FOR HIMSELF AnD OR THE JETS.(every thing he has ever guararanteed bragged or boasted about has come back to bite him why shouldnt this)

123. By joe on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

SC JOE great points about the draft .I saw an ESPN SPECIAL which said EXACTLY WHAT YOU SAID.HISTOTY PROVES it is much better to have more picks spread over the entire draft than having fewer picks higher in the draft .Something like 50% of all first rounders will be out of the league afer their first contract Its all bacically a crap shoot The above is why you really never see the PACK STEELERS PATS trade up to get a higher pick The worst thing we can do is lose picks by moving up

124. By danny on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

Yes 64 I agree with u on Sanchez inconsistant play and he played like a Elite QB in both those playoff games but he did show he is capable and this is the yr we need to see it. Same yr Eli showed it and others. You gotta admit he wasn’t set up to succeed last yr with Shotty ( never adapted to his players just ran his system), new WR’s, Mangold injury and most of all Wayne Hunter had him shell shocked. Ohh we can’t forget Santonio yapping in his ear and I wouldn’t be suprised if Plax did in the locker room too. This is his yr to show us and if he don’t then I agree it’s time to move on but he has showed he is capable in the past and he deserves the backing of NY this yr.

125. By scjoe on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

Spice, a few things. First, I didn’t say the Jets “should” trade up for Richardson or Coples. What I said is “IF’ they are seriously thinking about doing it the only two I can understand would be those two. Knowing the Jets as I do, I would be shocked if they traded up for Richardson, that leaves Coples. No one other then those two make sense. As for NE signing those WRs even though they are already stocked at that position? NE has a direction, they know where they are going, they know their strengths and they build on those strengths. Us on the other hand???????? I can’t figure out the direction, I really can’t.

126. By joe on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

Spice your trying to logically predicate actions of this franchise based on what comes out of REXS MOUTH and you cant do that.The ground and pound senerio is a prime example of this .(I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO TELL YOU THIS FOR YEARS IF TOM BRADY EVER FELL INTO REXS LAP SEE IF HE WOULD EVER FEEL A NEED TO RUN THE BALL )As you just mentioned if REX is so committed to this GROUND AND POUND WHY GO AFTER Payton. Rex in his heart knows you cant win a SB TODAY DOING THIS .He also knows he doesnt have the personal to move the ball like NO, NE ect ect.Rex will NEVER ADMIT THIS PUBLICALLY The first chance he got to get PAYTON he went for it though

127. By scjoe on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

Spice, believe me, I wouldn’t mind seeing the Jets select Coples (IF he fell to 16) regardless what the scouting report says about taking some plays off. That was college, this is the NFL under Rex Ryan. But I would absolutely hate it if they traded up for him. As for Cotchery? I was always a fan, but I honestly think they can do better. Question is, will they?

128. By scjoe on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

Someone, although I don’t remember exactly who (maybe GaryC) made a great point about the lack of SEC players the Jets have on their roster. I think a good rule to follow is “if you are in doubt, go with the SEC player” EVERYTIME! The competition is just that much better then most, if not all of the other college conferences. And that includes “most” positions as well.

129. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

That’s funny, Spicer, when I pointed out what strong WR corps the Pats and the Steelers were building in the off-season, I got accused of being a Patriots fan. I guess I’ll be accused of being a Steelers fan now for saying that PIT’s #4 WR is better than our #2, though I’d rather have Kerley in the slot at #3 than the older, slower J-Co. Ira, I’ll agree to disagree with you and just say that Rex is good on D, terrible on O, a disgrace to the organization by way of his personal behavior, and unless he shows some brilliance at game planning, time management, and grooming of players this yr, which I highly doubt he will, I’ll welcome his exit from the Jets around bye week.

130. By scjoe on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

With the NFL draft only a couple of weeks away, and all of our opinions, suggestions and recommendations being duly noted. I will say this, the closest things to “sure things” that I can see in this draft are…Decastro, Luke Kuechly, Kalil, Andrew Luck and Trent Richardson. Only one (Decastro) has a chance to be there at 16. There are quite a few options at 16, I wouldn’t mind Decastro being one of them.

131. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

You got it right, Charliejet, all it would take would be a growing drumbeat for new ownership led by Martin — Magic Johnson just led a similar group to buy the Dodgers, so don’t tell me it’s impossible — coming from fans who refused to fall for the nonsensical moves and PR that Woody, Mr T, and Rex keep handing out and sooner than later, we could be talking about an entirely new Jets team and org, one retaining less than 20 of the players we have now and run by REAL FOOTBALL PEOPLE IN THE FRONT OFFICE!

132. By MIKE on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

I can’t stand those mock drafts that have Jets taking Mercelius, Perry, or Branch at 16. If Upshaw and Ingram are gone and you want to target a pass rusher than move back. Take a page out of the Patriots playbook and DO NOT pick players too far ahead of what they are rated. But the past tells us that there is a good chance Jets move up to take Ingram or Floyd.

133. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

Dispatches from the Real World for Certain Jet Fans and the team’s HC, Part 1, from LaCanfora’s piece on the passing game on the NFL site: “America’s Game is changing. The pass-happy era is here to stay. It was reflected in the initial waves of free agency over the past month, and it will be reflected again when the 2012 NFL Draft begins. It’s a great time to be a WR or CB or of course a QB. LB and RB? Not so much. The spread O isn’t going anywhere. Slot WRs and nickel backs who can man the slot are more valuable than ever. We’ve seen it play out in the box scores with a record number of QBs eclipsing 4,000 yards passing, guys like Wes Welker becoming stars, and even traditional grind-it-out teams like PIT featuring multiple 1,000-yd WRs.”

134. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

Dispatches from the Real World, Part 2, per LaCanfora: “Elite QBs, WRs, and pass rushers can command $50 million guaranteed, while elite RBs like Ray Rice and Matt Forte are still sitting on the franchise tag. It’s a fact of life in the modern game. Everything is cyclical, so this won’t last forever. But with so many QBs thriving and the passing game so robust, it won’t be changing anytime soon, either.” — The only part I disagree with is the cyclical aspect. RBs will always suit up but they’ll never be as crucial as they once were given the increasing size and speed of QBs, WRs, and TEs. Sorry to disturb you ground-and-pounders from your slumber, but I thought you might wanna know how the other half — the winners in the NFL — lives.

135. By Tom Spicer on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

My latest mock draft 1 colts luck 2 skins rg3 vikes kalil 4 browns richardson 5 bucs claiborne 6 rams blackmon 7 jags coples 8 panthers poe 9 miami tanehill 10 bills reiff 11 cheifs decastro 12 seahawks ingram 13 cards floyd 14 boys barron 15 eagles keulcy 16 jets upshaw i would like to add this is not what i want be what i think will happen.

136. By IRA on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

It seems not only the Jets but all other teams are not signing players now until after the draft. There are a few right now like J-Co but not many. Like i wrote Keller and Revis might both get new deals this year. I am sure they have their short list of free agents like Carey, Edwards, Brown, Bell and some others they will sign once they see what they don’t fill in after the draft.

137. By GaryC on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

the problem with signing Tebow is that it will defintely take snaps away from McElroy,a quarterback who I believe has a much better future but what do I know.

138. By Tom Spicer on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

I just saw a mock draft (I think Uncle Joe already mentioned this one before) where the Jets trade up to the 6th pick to get Kallil OT USC. They give up there 1st & 2nd round pick to do so. It bascically says he would start at right tackle as a rookie but that he is so good that he would eventually be the left tackle & make Brick the right tackle. It goes on to say he would be a starting tackle for us for the next 10 years & that the Jets would be back to having 1 of if not the best O lines in the NFL.

139. By GaryC on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

jet fan tom, Knute Rockne introduced the forward pass to college football more than 90 years ago,Rex and company with John Connor Tebow and Hayden Smith might be bringing back the flying wedge which hasn’t been seen in about 70 years.

140. By Allan O'Dane on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

I was looking at the Bucs upgrades this offseason.
    They needed a RT…they got one…check
    They needed a WR…they got one…check
    They needed a CB…..they got one…check
    They needed a LB…..they got one…check
    I know they had lots of cap space but this is what I thought the NYJ would at least try to do. I don’t think it’s all about spending money either because they have ways of making people fit under the cap…

141. By IRA on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

Tom, Don’t think they are taking Upshaw especially with his 09 arrest for domestic violence. And i just can’t see them trading away any early draft picks. They need too much. They should be able to get starting OLB, RT and safety or WR with their first three picks. Maybe they trade back into the 4th rd if there is somebody there they like. As we all know rd #4 has been a good spot for them.

142. By Allan O'Dane on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

Free Agents still available:
    S/ Y.Bell – RB/ J.Addai – S/ O.Atogwe – DE/ C.Avril – RB/ J.Battle
    T/ R.Diem – RB/ C.Benson – S/ M.Bullitt – G/ V.Carey – DE/ A.Carter
    WR/ M. Clayton – WR/ P.Crayton – T/ A.Goldberg – RB/ R.Grant
    WR/ B. Edwards

So..there is FA’s still out there that can help or upgrade what we have..and these guys are not going to break the bank so to speak.
    My pick from this list would be: S/ Y.Bell – G/ V.Carey – RB/ C.Benson
    WR/ B.Edwards…

143. By GaryC on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, that is right, when in doubt go the route of the sec like I said, but in the jet world of building a team when in doubt, trade up so we don’t look so bad in selecting a number of busts which we have been known to do.that is the jet outlook on the draft,select one star player per year instead of 3 to 4 very good players, that is good if your filling a basketball roster not a football roster.

144. By Another Tom on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

It is very hard not to agree with robertpapalia. We have not really addressed our very specific needs..yet

145. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

danny, I agree with what you say about Sanchez but that’s why I’m against getting Tebow, no sense complicating the season for MS. You can’t help feeling that Woody, Mr T, and Rex are more into gimmicks and excuses than in actually finding out if MS is a Top 5 pick. Funny about Rex and those cutting-edge O ideas, GaryC, but as joe says, he’s never been honest about this ground-and-pound and Wildcat nonsense, he just has nothing else to sell. Spicer, these fantasies of superiority are entertaining but I’d recommend a more real-world analysis. “All-Pro” Brick is gonna be on the bench, not at RT, if he can’t protect the QB better than last yr, I’d think YOU of all people would know that. And let’s work out Kalil before declaring him elite!

146. By Dug on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

A wise post danny !

147. By robertpapalia on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

So the Jets are giving up draft choices to get that one player. Yes we need a right tackle but not at the 2for1 deal. That would still leave them needing a safety, linebacker.and a wide receiver. And they don`t get to pick until the 3rd round. If that`s the case the Jets are doomed to bad for a long time to come. No way to develop or build a team.

148. By scjoe on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

A note for all of the “building entirely through the draft enthusiasts” Did you happen to read a recent article about the “best drafts” of the past decade? The 2006 Houston Texans took first place with M. Williams in rd 1, Demico Ryans in rd 2, Charles Spencer rd 3-A Eric Winston in rd-3-B Owen Daniels rd 4. Just one small problem….the only one left on their roster is #4 pick Owen Daniels. Bottom line, if you can’t reap what you sow, it is pointless.

149. By Tom Spicer on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

SCJoe, I think we can get Lamar Miller with the 15th pick in the 2nd round. Most of the stuff I have been hearing have Doug Martin & David Wilson going before him. Martin in the late 1st round & Wilson in the early 2nd.

150. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

Ira, in what extremely sunny alternate universe are we gonna get 3 STARTERS in A SINGLE DRAFT? It took 3 YEARS for Sanchez, Greene, and Slauson to all become starters from that one draft and while I still think they can all become great, there’s probably not a single person on this site who agrees with me. (Some like Sanchez but not Greene, some Greene but not Slauson, etc.) 2 drafts since then yielded exactly 1 starter (Wilk), a few promising players (McKnight, Kerley, Wilson), some bizarrely inconsequential picks (Conner, Powell, S McKnight), a QB we ignore (McElroy), and 2 very possible busts (Ducasse, Ellis). Again, you often seem to disregard the past in some of these sunny predictions you make, including 2 yrs running re a backup C.

151. By Tom Spicer on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

robertpapalia & Tom 64, I was not saying to trade up for Kalil I was just posting what this one mock draft had us doing. I do not want to trade up unless we are trading the 1 6th & 1 7th round pick we can trade. See we have 3 6th round picks & 3 7th round picks but we can not trade 2 of the 6th round picks & 2 of the 7th round picks. So I say if we can trade a 6th & a 7th round pick to pick up a 4th round pick which we dont have because of the Tebow trade I say do it. This way we have at least 1 pick in every round with 2 6th round picks & 2 7th round picks.

152. By IRA on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

Gary, Sorry i disagree with you about McElroy losing snaps to Tebow. If anything McElroy will get extra work at times because Tebow might be lined up at a different spot than QB. McElroy needs to be able to step in this year just in case something goes wrong. I can’t see them throwing out their entire offense the way Denver did last year. Lets get real Tebow as a QB was a great story last year but they did lose their last three games and backed into the playoffs. There is a reason why no other teams besides the Jets and Jags wanted Tebow as a QB. I still think he will help the Jets win games this year. And i predict he will catch a TD pass from Sanchez vs the Pats!

153. By Charliejet on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

Allan O’Dane – Talk about marketing and rivalry. If the Jets had their own stadium,
    in NY it would truly be a rival JERSEY GIANTS Vs. NEW YORK JETS – the “cross river rivalry”. now there’s a real media/merchandise/TV/ tradition rivalry – that would make for an interesting yearly Thanksgiving game. Come on Woody sell the team will ya!

154. By Tom Spicer on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

I am going to do 5 Jet mock drafts with just the Jets picks rounds 1 thru 7 each different & each attacking all 5 of our needs.

155. By GaryC on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, I made this point a while ago, with football now of course you can’t build a team totally thru draft with free agency, it hurts the teams who draft well because they succeed,their players egos get inflated and their off to their new team,only if their was no salary cap you would get the true vision of how a team drafts where they can hold on to all their picks like in the old nfl.

156. By GaryC on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

Ira, you do not give up two draft picks for a guy to be a number 3,of course unless your the jets who don’t know what to do with picks when they have them.are the jets sending mcelroy a message for opening his mouth by bringing in tebow,that is child’s play.I think the jets are trying to set up Sanchez or McElroy for a big fall, wether less playing time or outright getting cut, in McElroys case.

157. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

I get ya on the draft strategy, Spice, sounds good to me. But we’d have to trade our 6th and 7th round picks because compensatory picks can’t be traded, right?

158. By danny on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

Great post Ira about Tebow and McEleroy. I’m with u 100 percent and been saying it all along. He will catch a TD and he will run for 1 at both QB and RB. I too really think McEleroy has it and can be a good NFL QB. Great pt about him running O behind MS as Tebow will just have packages. Very interesting thought. The only thing that did scare me about signing Tebow was if they let McEleroy go i would have lost my mind. This kid is smart accurate ohh and is a winner too

159. By Karan on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

If we get Braylon Edwards back, all our WR issues will be fixed. Braylon and Santonio: our top two receivers. Jeremy Kerley is a great option at slot and being our no. 3 receiver. He proved that towards the end of the season. Patrick Turner is definetly a great no. 4 option. Then of course there is the receiving tight end Dustin Keller and Jeff Cumberland. Those are a lot of options. Just need Edwards and a contract.

160. By GaryC on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

Looks like the guy I been talking about for a month or so now, Shea McClellin looks like he might sneak in to be a first round pick,He will be this years Brooks Reed,do the jets have any idea who he is.

161. By GaryC on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

spicer, I already stated my first three, Perry USC, Jeffrey South Carolina, and Zebrie Sanders of Florida State, hope those guys are on your list.

162. By scjoe on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

Spice, most mocks I have seem lately have Miller falling to the bottom of the 2nd round. One I saw just recently had the Bengals taking him with their 2nd first round pick however. At this time of the year those mock drafts are entertaining, but nothing more.GaryC, you are 100% correct, case in point? The Steelers of the 70s. They drafted better then anyone else, they developed those players and went on to win 4 SBs WITHOUT the worry of giving those picks away to who ever opens the wallet widest in 3 to 4 years.

163. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

That’s cheating, Karan, no recylcing the exact same post from another story on the site! You gotta change at least a few words! (Just kiddin’ ya — and coaching ya with the toughness that I’d like to see the allegedly tough Rex apply to Sanchez.)

164. By Tom Spicer on Apr 14, 2012 | Reply

Tom 64 yes we can not trade compensatory picks I think Gary C said it & Randy confirmed it.