• Mon., Oct. 20, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences every Monday and Wednesday from the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center. Jets Open Mic is a 30-minute telecast throughout the NFL season.
  • Mon., Oct. 20, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Inside the Jets

• Tue., Oct. 21, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Extra Point - Only on SNY

• Wed., Oct. 22, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

• Thu., Oct. 23, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Fri., Oct. 24, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Sat., Oct. 25, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Inside the Jets

• Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Extra Point - Only on SNY

CFN’s Cirminiello on Possible Jets Draft Targets

Posted by Randy Lange on April 19, 2012 – 3:21 pm

Add Rich Cirminiello to the list of professional draft watchers who likes a pass rusher for the Jets’ 16th selection in Round 1 of the NFL Draft a week from tonight.

“When the discussion comes to No. 16, I like the fit of Courtney Upshaw to the Jets,” Cirminiello told me this afternoon in between stories for his gig as senior writer at College Football News. “The talk has started to wane a little over the last week or so, but Upshaw’s a great fit for Rex Ryan’s system. I love his personality, he’s got a great motor, he has that kind of versatility where I think the Jets can move him to a couple of different positions, and he comes with that championship banner from Alabama.

Cirminiello also sees merit in the Jets perhaps being interested in such as Illinois OLB Whitney Mercilus, Syracuse DE Chandler Jones and Notre Dame WR Michael Floyd. “I’ve waffled a little bit recently,” he said, “but I’m still leaning toward Courtney.”

Cirminiello has more than just first-round leanings for the Green & White. Here are some of his notes by position on possible Jets targets in the lower rounds that will be held next Friday (Rounds 2-3) and Saturday (Rounds 4-7):

RB: Doug Martin (if he happens to slip to No. 47), Isaiah Pead and Chris Polk (really like in 3rd round), Tauren Poole (4th round)

WR: Rueben Randle (2nd), Marvin McNutt (3rd or 4th), T.J. Graham, Mohamed Sanu (feels so underrated to me), Dwight Jones (3rd-5th range).

OL: G David DeCastro, OT Cordy Glenn, OT Bobby Massie (2nd), Jeff Allen (3rd-4th), OT Markus Zusevics ( a real wild card because he’s hurt).

DE: Courtney Upshaw, Vinny Curry (3rd), Jared Crick (3rd-4th), Malik Jackson (4th)

OLB: Shea McClellin (love everything about him, but especially his versatility if around at No. 47)

S: Mark Barron, Markelle Martin (3rd), George Iloka (4th).

We obtained these notes not nefariously but because Rich will be joining Eric Allen, myself and a host of others on our second annual “NewYorkJets.com Predraft Show,” which will air on our site live next Thursday beginning at 6 p.m.

This is also Cirminiello’s second year on the show with us. He’s been covering college football and the NFL draft for  more than a decade with CFN and for the last six of those years in CFN’s affiliation with FoxSports.com. And in fact he appeared on he appeared on NFL Network last week to make pick Nos. 13-22, so you can see the context of his 16th pick for the Jets in that context.

Cirminiello’s also been the director of college awards for the Maxwell Football Club for the past five years. You can catch his observations in 140 characters or fewer on his Twitter page. And a week from tonight you can catch his last-minute analysis of the draft on newyorkjets.com.

Tags: , , , , , ,

144 Responses to “CFN’s Cirminiello on Possible Jets Draft Targets”

1. By wayne on Apr 19, 2012 | Reply

Sorry Ira, they’re not taking an OG 16……With RB/QB/preacher they picked up, they’re not taking Richardson if he falls either…..Pass rush is beggin’ for help and help it will be agettin’…………The idea repulses me, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see them grab a wideout at 16……………………..There is no way anyone can look at what this organization has done this off season and say they see anything remotely concrete taking place.

2. By GaryC on Apr 19, 2012 | Reply

Shea McClellin, the guy I mentioned even before the combine is now being projected as a first round pick,One of my first posts about this guy was how can I guy with the name of Shea not end up with the jets.Probably just wishful thinking but it does have eerie karma to it.

3. By scjoe on Apr 19, 2012 | Reply

Wayne, I don’t see Richardson falling to 16, BUT, if he should, and they pass on him, it is truly time to turn in the old #12 and #72 home and road jerseys. Because that would solidify everything 64 has been saying for the past couple of years. Especially when they are relentlessly pushing the “ground and pound” on everyone. I can only hope that after this draft and after the FA signing period that the method to the madness becomes much clearer then it is right now.

4. By David Washaliski on Apr 19, 2012 | Reply

Am curious to see how Tebow will fit into the scheme, he is a helluva playmaker. The one remark of his I love was, ” I am a football player, not just a quarterback”. You have a new Jets fan here.

5. By scjoe on Apr 19, 2012 | Reply

There are quite a few nice options at 16, depending on which way you want to go. But PLEASE, PLEASE, slip a note under Tannenbaums door Randy telling him NO-TRADING- UP!!! Since few, if any needs were met in free agency, this team needs all of it’s allotted draft picks along with the hope of hitting on many of them. Barron, Decastro, Ingram, Jones, Perry, Poe, OR a trade down for Adams,Martin, or Mercilus or Curry any of them, BUT NO TRADE UP! AND NO WR

6. By robertpapalia on Apr 19, 2012 | Reply

Would somebody tell me who in the heck is Chandler Jones? This guy as far as I know was projected as a 2nd round pick. Now he is all of a sudden a first round pick. This has bust written all over it. The Jets need to draft players who will make an immediate impact. Not project players who are question marks. I hope Tannenbaum gets this draft right or else this could be very ugly this year.

7. By RickieNewYork on Apr 19, 2012 | Reply

I could see them trading up for Melvin Ingram or possably Barron. If Ingram is gone I personally like Decastro at 16 & FS H Smith in 2nd round . Forget Richardson, although if still there in round 2 – a RB named Martin would not hurt my feelings – been too long since we had one. Gary C – Shea M is climbing draft boards – ? tho, when is an ILB at his best and can run sideline to sideline? When he has a good D-Line in front of him – thats why I really like Boise DE Billy Winn in the 3rd. Even wrote a blog about him called “I wanna lead the draft in Winn’s”. I really hope they bring back Braylon after the draft too – not only do we miss his production, put him and schillens on the field together to block on run plays – both are GREAT

8. By walt on Apr 19, 2012 | Reply

I think that the jets should draft a player that can make an immediate impact in the first round namely a running back either david wilson or lamar miller.I do not see a WR in the draft that will be able to start in his first year and be an upgrade over what we already have.The draft is full of quality linebackers.No one can really say what is the difference between the top and bottem ranked safety.It is a guessing game.Why draft a wide receiver in the first round to sit on the bench.

9. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 19, 2012 | Reply

I haven’t said much about the draft because our needs are so many and so obvious that it’s foolish to obsess over it. We’re not likely to get more than 1 or at best 2 starters out of it, since most yrs we don’t even get that. And the draft order is painfully obvious, made worse by our failure to pursue any of those high-priced bust WRs like the Jacksons, Lloyd, and Manningham, all of whom uncle joe assures us aren’t as good at Schilens. So once again, it’s gotta be something like S/OLB, OLB/S, OL, WR (now that we’ve done little to address that), DL, and whatever after that since most of those picks are glorified UFA’s anyway. Sorry, but what you need is a lotta #1/#2/#3 picks just like…NE’s got. Oops, guess that makes me a Pats fan…

10. By walt on Apr 19, 2012 | Reply

I think the jets should draft a running back in the first round either lamar miller or david wilson.Adding some speed at that position would help.In the second round I would take either Miles Burris 6-2 246 He had 19 sacks and 47 TFLs in college.or Shea McCellin 6-3 260 he rigistered 20.5 sacks and 33TFLs for boise.In the third round I like the safety Brian Peters 6-3 215.He had 12 interceptions at Northwestern.I also like the safety Brandon Hardin 6-3 217.He runs a 4.3 40.In the 5th round I would select a tackle jeff adams or nate potter.Sixth round RB Nate Eachus 5-10 220.He is fast 4.49 forty.He rushed for 1871yds for Colgate in 2010.Also in th e 6th I like LB Joe Holland 6-1 231.HE runs a 4.45 40 and had 230 tackles for Purdue.

11. By Tom Spicer on Apr 19, 2012 | Reply

My draft wish list I hopw we get 1 of these 4 & this is the order that I like them. 1 Melvin Ingram getting to a elite qb is the only way to beat them 2 Dave Decastro if you cant protect the qb you cant win 3 Mark Barron if you cant rush the passer you better have elite guys in your secondary to cover or you dont even have a shot at all 4 Mike Floyd I would rather take the best player avaliable then reach for a guy who may be a pass rusher but also may be a bust. Anyone else will be gone when we pick or I dont want them above these 4. I think the Jets are pretty much locked in with 1 of these 4 guys.

12. By Tom Spicer on Apr 19, 2012 | Reply

I did my Decastro & Floyd draft now my Mark Barron draft. 1st round Mark Barron Saftey Bama 2nd round Vinny Curry Marshall OLB double digit sacks in the last 2 years 3rd round Jared Crick DE Nebraska had 9 1/2 sacks as a sophomore & as a junior but got hurt last year & missed alomst the whole season 5th round Nick Toon WR Wisconson you know Al Toons son. With our 3 6’s & 3 7’s get depth for both lines, linebackers & running backs.

13. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 19, 2012 | Reply

And by the way, this notion that Tebow on the roster might “subtly” affect how we draft is the looniest idea I’ve EVER heard in my almost 50 yrs as a Jet fan! Right, a guy who’s never played RB or TE is going to pick it up well enough in a single summer camp as a pro to discourage us from picking someone that we need and can get at either of those positions. This is truly like Vanessa Redgrave’s demented nun in Ken Russell’s THE DEVILS running the asylum!

14. By Another Tom on Apr 20, 2012 | Reply

Shea McClellin is the guy that NE and GB are very high on…two franchises that know what they’re doing. Soooo…why dont We just grab Him at 16? Who really cares where He is “projected” to go. If He is a no brainer and can step right in and make a difference , and if DeCastro and Barron are gone. Then just get em..Why not?

15. By IRA on Apr 20, 2012 | Reply

robert, From what i have been told Jones could be the best pass rusher in the draft this year and has more upside than any other in this years draft. He is the most athletic 4-3 DE in the draft.
    Wayne, Never say never about DeCastro we will wait and see. Of course PR is a bigger need or even safety if they trade up for Barron but if they stay at 16 and its DeCastro or any of the middle to late 1st rd PR’s and they slect a PR its clear they made their pick based on need and not best available player. I will keep saying it all reports are that DeCastro is the best OG to come into the draft in the past 10 yrs or so. If it were my call and it has to be a PR i would trade down a few spots and take the best available on the board.

16. By uncle joe on Apr 20, 2012 | Reply

NO UPSHAW PLEASE, bust,bust,bust!!! That Chandler Jones has been thrown around alot lately. S/CB Trumaine Jones or RB Doug Martin (who I think is the healthier,better RB in the draft) and my boy Muhahmed Sanu,WR he is under rated,he is THE BEST WR in this DRAFT!!!

17. By uncle joe on Apr 20, 2012 | Reply

Trade back for a 2 or 3 and then trade back again for a 2 or 3. Move back as much as you can till the end of 1st round or early second,that’s what I would do. There will be very good players in the second round, so it’s either one question mark pick at 16 or a few nice players in the next round. There is NO ONE at 16 that is gonna turn this team around, so trade if at all possible for ANYTHING!

18. By IRA on Apr 20, 2012 | Reply

There is a Jets draft story out ther today in one of the local papers that reads the Jets have drafted only 1 starter in their past 10 picks. That is wrong. Sure Wilkerson is the player but they failed to mention Conner,Wilson and Kerley. To me your nickel is on the filed 2 out of 3 plays usually and your slot WR is out there almost as much depending what type of offense you are running. So i say they have 3 startes out of those 10 picks not one. While 08 was a washout besides Keller overall the past 3 yrs they have had 13 picks and have produced 7 starters which is a better then .500 batting avg which is better than the league avg. Still they need to have a stellar draft this year to make up for all the picks they have given away lately.

19. By Jersey Rich on Apr 20, 2012 | Reply

I am glad to hear Mohamed Sanu getting some recognition!! This kid is the real deal. If Belichuk gets this kid.. Brady to Sanu will be a difficult combination for us to deal with several times a year. I hope he is somewhere high on our draft board.

20. By MMW on Apr 20, 2012 | Reply

In recent off seasons/dafts, we’ve made some major moves. Since this off season was pretty much wash, I have a feeling that a trade will take place. Keller’s contract will be up and probably will want to get top 5 TE money. With all the current contracts and Sparano’s O, i don’t see Keller fitting much. Running ground n pound you’re gonna need a blocking TE and that’s not Keller. As much as i like the guy, i don’t see him in green and white for long. So maybe you can trade up and try to get Ingram, or trade back for a couple of pics.

21. By Keith Beckett on Apr 20, 2012 | Reply

The idea of taking C.Upshaw/W. Mercillus makes me sick. Neither player is suited to be successful in a 3-4 defense. They are both much better suited for 4-3 teams rushing the passer.
    The Jets should be keying on M. Ingram/S. McClellin are the better options for the 3-4 scheme. I am no pro scout but if I can see it, I hope the F.O. can too.
    Their are few players who also would warrant a pick at 16, If RB T. Richardson, WR M. Floyd or DE Q. Coples falls to 16 they would warrant a pick as well. I am sure one of these 5 players will be there at 16, and no it is never too early to get a good character, athletic football player.
    I am also in full agreement with B. Billick when he states: “Need is a terrible talent evalluator”

22. By GaryC on Apr 20, 2012 | Reply

anothertom and rickeynewyork,the jets should seriously consider McClellin,he is just like Brooks Reed coming out of college who shot up the draft boards,this guy is more than an inside linebacker,I would rather have him or Perry teaming up with Maybin then prancing out Thomas and Pace for another year,with Scott the slowest linebacking corp in football.

23. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 20, 2012 | Reply

Ira, I’ve defended Wilson and Kerley more than anyone on this site but that’s a stretch to call them starters. Wilson was supposed be as good as Revis right away at CB, said delusional Rex, then got pulled about 3 games in. He’s just starting to find his way at nickel, not an every-down position. And any guy who catches the number of passes Kerley did last yr, and is yrs away from scaring any D’s, in no way resembles a starter. Spicer, I think that’s the best of your drafts yet, I like downscaling for Toon instead of gambling on Floyd. Not that Toon’s likely to put fear into D’s in his 1st yr either, but then I’m already resigned to the fact that we’re gonna have holes in the roster on opening day. uncle joe, trading back sounds smart.

24. By Karan on Apr 20, 2012 | Reply

Draft Mark Barron!!!!

25. By Karan on Apr 20, 2012 | Reply

….if he’s still at 16

26. By GaryC on Apr 20, 2012 | Reply

Ira, wilson is not a starter if his playing time is dictated on what the offense does.their are 22 starters,offense and defense,same with Kerley if you go three wide with him in slot he plays.A guy who plays in the nickle does not constitute as a starter.Inflating the jets draft success will not work.even Kerley at his size will never be a number two receiver,that is why the jets will be looking for a big receiver this draft.

27. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 20, 2012 | Reply

Ira, Cannizaro’s piece in the Post actually pts out the Jets have 1 starter in the last 11 picks; is very charitable in listing Ellis as a player “who made contributions” last yr; and in general is excellent on how no matter how bad Mr T does, he outlives coaches and players. And it contains passages like this: “Tannenbaum, making the analogy that teams are always looking for hidden-gem players, actually mentioned 2011 sixth-round draft pick offensive lineman Caleb Schlauderaff, who was buried in the depth chart, in the same sentence as Knicks phenom Jeremy Lin. He did it three different times. Honest.” That’s the kind of absurd rationalizing that has sadly become a Jet trademark. I know you can’t see it thru your rose-colored glasses…

28. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 20, 2012 | Reply

Another thing, Ira, Conner was the pick over which Rex had the most influence — and one of the least consequential picks we’ve made in a decade. Blocking FBs are a dime a dozen. Powell, another pick Rex loved, is even less promising. But watch Rex, lost in outdated ground-and-pound dementia, push this yr to pick another RB who has little impact on the team — while opponents just keep throwing to people like Denarius Moore and Victor Cruz and scoring big pts. Jet fans would do well to remember that Coughlin was WR coach under Parcells, while Rex was a D coach for a team that still can’t win by scoring any pts and has Sanchez’s doppelganger at QB in Flacco, one of the most overrated QBs in the league, especially in his own mind.

29. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 20, 2012 | Reply

This one’s for you, Spice, and Sanchez. (Tebow throws so badly it doesn’t matter how you protect him.) From Cimini on OL: “Pro Bowlers Mangold and Ferguson are locked into mega contracts, so they’re not going anywhere. Ferguson (9.5 sacks) needs to step it up after a slight decline last season. GM Mike Tannenbaum knows he did a terrible job of building depth last season, so you know he’ll be carrying that thought into the draft. The last time: How quickly we forget. In 2010, the Jets drafted Ducasse in the second round (61st overall). He failed at two positions, left guard and right tackle.” Ducasse looms as the next Jet bust if he can’t take RT from Hunter. “Ground and pound” with a weak OL and no elite RB, only Rex could dream it up!

30. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 20, 2012 | Reply

You’ve been on my case since you went to Thailand or wherever the heck you went, GaryC, but I see you didn’t fall for Ira’s inflation of our draft success either. Now if only you could go back in time and tout Cruz instead of Ducasse…

31. By IRA on Apr 20, 2012 | Reply

Gary, In todays NFL nickel CB’s are considered starters because this league has become more pass happy. They are on the field almost as much as the 2 CB’s are. Maybe Randy can help us out with the # of snaps Wilson, Revis and Cro all played. My guess is Wilson was on the field at least 85 % of what Revis and Cro were.

32. By Allan O'Dane on Apr 20, 2012 | Reply

I was listening to Bill Polian speak about evaluating players for the draft and how to structure your team. This man knows football…he knows a football player when he sees one. Then hearing Mike T. talk on drafting players…man..it’s like night and day. He said that the first thing you have to do is build your offense line. Your QB can’t throw if the O-line is weak, Then get weapons for your QB. A sure #1 WR…a reliable #2 who could be a #1 on any other team. Draft a TE 6’4 or better at least 250lbs. Your RB has to have great vision and balance but RB don’t last long maybe 3-4yrs tops, so you have to have a two headed monster. And your QB..6’3 and up. Can stand in the pocket and make all the throws and have great pocket presence.

33. By joe on Apr 20, 2012 | Reply

ACTUALLY the NFL NETWORK did a STORY ON THE WORST DRAFTING TEAMS IN THE NFL AND OF COURSE WE WERE AT THE TOP OF THE HEEP In the last 4 drafts (which is considered a career cycle in the NFL )WE HAVE DRAFTED 0 PRO BOWL PLAYERS.(lol EVEN CLEVELAND has 1 )Powerhouses like PITTSB have drafted 4 in that time frame SAME OLD JETS

34. By joe on Apr 20, 2012 | Reply

JET FAN SINCE 64 TOM.This season is going to be the train wreck of train wrecks (AND CONSIDERING THIS IS THE JETS THATS SAYING SOMETHING )Every game were going to be in third and long TRYING TO RUN THE BALL AGAINST 8 IN THE BOX.Meanwhile teams with modern offences will have a field day.Last year we BEAT NO ONE WITH A WINNING RECORD THE ENTIRE YEAR and i dont see how we have improved.

35. By GaryC on Apr 20, 2012 | Reply

I am another who says stay away from Mercilus,I have seen one to many defensive ends from the big ten on this jet team,we already got rid of one bust.

36. By danny on Apr 20, 2012 | Reply

64 Tebow don’t need to learn much to be a short yardage RB. He proved he can run with the football and u can’t teach someone how to run the ball either u have it or u don’t. He will need to learn how to pass block but we all know he’s a hard worker so i think a good training camp can teach him. I truly believe Tebow is gonna suprise you this season at what he can do on the field. I still don’t know why some guys on here are asking how they will split QB reps with MS. One guy said 50 – 50 I mean no ppl he will work his wildcat package a lil just like B Smith did and he will get a lot of reps at RB. There gonna see how it works this season which I believe it will or if not dump him after season. 64 u will be shocked

37. By MIKE on Apr 20, 2012 | Reply

A perfect scenario would be for Jets to move back into late first round and get Shae McClennen and than back into early second for Harrison Smith.

Guaranteed Patriots land both if they stay at the spots in first round.

38. By robertpapalia on Apr 20, 2012 | Reply

Yeah Tom ground and pound is a Rex dream. We still don`t have a right tackle and our running backs are suspect. We have many needs and Tannenbaum seems mystified as how to deal with it. Like I said before if the Jets are counting on this draft to turn the ship around they sure have a funny way going about it. We will see what happens Thursday. Can`t wait.

39. By Tom Spicer on Apr 20, 2012 | Reply

Randy, What would the Jets have to give up to move up to the 4th or 7th pick?

40. By Randy Lange on Apr 20, 2012 | Reply

Tom, according to one draft trade value chart, for the Jets to get to the seventh pick this year, they might be able to trade their 1, 2, 5, 6 and 7 picks, retaining their third-rounder. To get to the fourth pick, they’d have to trade all their picks except the compensatories and that might not be enough.

41. By Eli Rodriguez on Apr 21, 2012 | Reply

This would be my 10 picks:
    These is what I would do.
    1.   Courtney Upshaw—OLB
    2.   Jeff Allen—————T
    3.   Mark Barron———–SS
    4.   Peter Konz————-C
    5.   Lamichael James—–RB
    6.   Brain Quick————-WR
    7.   Jonathan Martin——-OT
    8.   Nigel Bradham———OLB
    9.   Egnew Michael———TE
    10. Brandon Hardin——–FS

42. By SCfromNY on Apr 21, 2012 | Reply

I can not believe with all evidence to the contrary that the old “ground and pound” is being pushed so hard. All you have to do is look at the past few years to see that high end passing teams win big time. You need a running game to keep the defense honest and for short yardage. You need a defense capable of “stepping up” when they have to not just rated high. RBs can be found look at the Texans. We need pass rusher capable in coverage. OL help, safety, and WR in that order.

43. By GaryC on Apr 21, 2012 | Reply

jetfantom, that is not my job to figure out that cruz would be more of a success than ducasse,the jet scouts who scouted ducasse,had cruz under their nose and couldn’t see that he had nfl talent.Back to Ducasse, it will be a failed venture if they continue to make him a tackle,if he doesn’t play guard he will be another bust.

44. By GaryC on Apr 21, 2012 | Reply

Ira,if you insist that wilson is a starter in this pass happy nfl,then how can you say connor is a starter in this pass happy nfl, you cannot have it both ways.

45. By Keith Beckett on Apr 21, 2012 | Reply

Building a “Championship Football Team” is no easy task, and the Jet GM is lucky to have such good scouting support(Clinkscales/Bradway etc.). The ”
    Baum” is actually over his head in my opinion. He may have been perfect for “The Tuna” who could evaluate talent on his own. I would say if MT whiffs on this draft he should be held accountable and get the axe. Bill Polian is available and could take this young group to the top quickly. Jet fans deserve a “Winner”, the long suffering needs to end. With the young core in place, minus the aging LB’s this team is ready to win. The 16th pick should yield a top caliber player and selecting SheaMac would begin the process(the team may even be able to trade down to get him)?

46. By MIKE on Apr 21, 2012 | Reply

Players I hope Jets don’t get at 16.

Upshaw, Glenn, Branch, Floyd, Adams, Couples, Poe

Players I would be happy with at 16.

Rieff, Decastro, Perry, Mercelius, Hightower, McClennen

Players I would #&%@ my pants if we get at 16

Barron, Ingram, Blackmon

47. By MIKE on Apr 21, 2012 | Reply

Wow. Looking back on what Randy said about what Jets would have to give up to move up 12 spots makes the Sanchez deal look good despite the fact that he hasn’t lived up to expectations.

48. By MIKE on Apr 21, 2012 | Reply

Now a days, both O and D should be labelled differently. O should eliminate the FB as a labelled starter and substitute a TE or 3rd WR as the 6th eligible receiver.

Same goes for D, take out the least used LB, in Jets case Bart Scott and substitute Kyle Wilson as a starter.

Nickel CB is the hardest position to play in the league.

49. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 21, 2012 | Reply

This might be part of our problem right here. From Cimini: “The draft room is the most sacred place in the building. Only a select few are granted access, and the security is so tight that not even Rex Ryan can enter by himself. His assistant coaches, including coordinators, aren’t allowed.” It’s that last sentence that shocks me. Coaches who actually work with the players and help design and execute the game plans aren’t an intimate part of the process but a bunch of suits, many of whom never played the game, are? Only on the Jets, the team with the GM who talks like a laboratory researcher crossed with a motivational expert but can’t spot a bust from two feet away — or come up with a coherent plan for the roster like you say, robertp.

50. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 21, 2012 | Reply

dannyp, there’s an old saying, usually applied to politics: “If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.” Developing a “short-yardage RB,” much less doing it with a guy who’s never played the position, would be about 485th on our list of needs. Greene’s as good a short-yardage RB as TJ was and picking up a guy like that off waiver lists is a breeze. Plus we drafted a true FB, something almost nobody does anymore, named John Conner. So here we sit with an iffy OL, one blue-chip WR, a TE who’s not physical enough either catching or blocking to be elite, and a starting QB who’s had the same mediocre yr 3 times…and you’re thrilled with Tebow’s potential to work out as a short-yardage RB. Great.

51. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 21, 2012 | Reply

Ira, I direct you to the saying on asking the wrong questions in my post to dannyp. Wilson was drafted with raves from Rex about his CB and PR skills. When Revis held out, Rex actually said with a straight face that there “might not be much difference” with Wilson starting, as he “looked like a vet” in camp. (Anyone who disagrees with me that almost nothing Rex says is worth taking seriously might wanna consider those statements.) After a few typically rough rookie games, Rex, thinking his SB triumph was imperiled, pulled Wilson from CB and rarely used him at PR, basically wasting his 1st yr. Only mentoring from Revis, that guy Wilson was supposed to be almost as good as, upped his game last yr. This is no starter, it’s a work-in-progress.

52. By scjoe on Apr 21, 2012 | Reply

Putting everything else aside for just one minute. To be successful this coming season, or for seasons to come, first and foremost you need to beat the NE Patriots and Tom Brady. How do you beat Tom Brady? By pressuring him, especially up the middle. Who in this draft is capable of doing that? Dontari Poe! He will get pressure up the middle based on his speed, athleticism, and brute strength. While doing that he will consistently tie up at least two blockers and free up the OLBs, no matter who they are. Don’t be so sure that selecting a “pass rushing” OLB at 16 is going to get the same results with out a stud NT.

53. By Tom Spicer on Apr 21, 2012 | Reply

Randy, Thanks LOL we will not be doing that.

54. By Tom Spicer on Apr 21, 2012 | Reply

Ira, You are right with the pass happy NFL now the 3rd corner is a starter so I consider Wilson a starter.

55. By scjoe on Apr 21, 2012 | Reply

Spicer, with the exception of Richardson,(and you will need to go to #4) there is no one in that top six or seven that will make more of an impact then Poe, who you may be able to get at 16. To trade up to 7 to select Coples or Ingram and give up what Randy disclosed would be incredibly incompetent. (Why do I get this terrible feeling that is what is going to happen?) Try filling all the rest of the needs under that scenario. Don’t believe that just simply selecting a RT or a safety in the 6th or 7th rd that they will even make the roster let alone starting.

56. By Tom Spicer on Apr 21, 2012 | Reply

The Jets already got there saftey in Laron Landry & in the 1st round the pick is Melvin Ingram that will take care of OLB. Rounds 2 & 3 take the best tackle & running back you can get. Round 5 go for a WR & with 3 6’s & 3 7″s go for depth

57. By scjoe on Apr 21, 2012 | Reply

I can almost hear it already. Comments about Poe being a bust simply based on other players at that same position that have been selected before him, in different years and different systems. With that logic, lets just skip over the draft process. Do a Mike Ditka and give up the entire draft for one player. THEN, hope that one don’t turn out to be a “bust”

58. By wayne on Apr 21, 2012 | Reply

The way I see it, things will start to get interesting if and only if Cleveland decides to pick a QB. If that happens the worse poker players on the planet will start hyperventilating and sweating.. At that point, someone betw 5 and 15 will smell a sucker……Rams are already postering…..Hey sensor, there’s nothing biblical in this post……Let my posting go!!!! danny, your hard worker had trouble picking stuff up in DEN after 2years….He is as far as we’re told a QB. He has much more to learn than just blocking…His job is not just to learn his responsibilities but that of the other players on the field. …HE WANTS TO BE A STARTING QB IN TH NFL…..

59. By wayne on Apr 21, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, I don’t either, but I’m telling ya, if Cleveland has brain freeze, things are going to get hot and heavy……..At the same time they absolutely can’t take a guard. They can’t…….This team is going with what the coach knows……They are going to make sure they have enough backs and fortify this defense to blitz from minute one till the whistle blows. That means 2 RB, 2 OGs, 3 LB/DE , 1 T and a RT in FA………Kareem Mckenzie looks not so bad.

60. By wayne on Apr 21, 2012 | Reply

Woody wants the back page???/ Wait, it’s about to get biblical up in here…..BIBLICAL……….By the way, I’ve read the book, beginning to end. Has Timmy?

61. By joe on Apr 21, 2012 | Reply

ANY FANS IN A USUAL JET DELUSUINAL FANTASY SHOULD note the following about the WILDCAT( As per MIKE FRANCESS TWO YEARS AGO the NY JET WILCAT ACCOUNTED FOR EXACTLY 13 FIRST DOWNS AND 3TDS THE ENTIRE YEAR ANY tip line qb (ROGERS MANNING BRADY ECT )CAN gererate more offence in a half of football than we DID RUNNING THE WILDCAT ALL YEAR.The WILDCA OFFENCET IS NOTHING BUT A GIMMACK THAT WILL NEVER ENABLE A TEAM TO WIN THE SB.Teams with TRUE SUPERBOWL CALIBER QBS have NO TIME FOR THIS HIGH SCHOOL NONSENCE

62. By IRA on Apr 21, 2012 | Reply

While everybody here wants to dump on the Jets and their draft history how about the Pats in 07 and 08. They made 16 picks and only 2 players remain with the team. So nobody is perfect. And you know what its all a crap shoot. I don’t care if you spend all the time the pro scouts do scouting players or you pick up a draft guide and read it and watch some highlights. Truth is after a 5 years span the batting avg’s are the same. You have to do your homework but nobody really knows how any of these guys will turn out until they hit the field and play in the league for awhile.

63. By scjoe on Apr 21, 2012 | Reply

Ira, the Jets draft history, particularly the past five years, speaks for itself. No one here needs to put it down. When you can count the number of “true starters” and I don’t mean fullbacks or nickle backs or slot receivers, on one hand, you know everything you need to know.

64. By wayne on Apr 21, 2012 | Reply

Ira, as I’ve said, since spygate the Pats haven’t been the same untill last year, to wit you defended them and pooh poohed spygate, then GaryC began rooting for them to win a SB………I bleep near expected the sun to stop shining and fishes to come crawling outta the ocean………..I won’t get into averages with you, wouldn’t expect you to say any less bout Jets………If you did, THAT WOULD BE NEWS..

65. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 21, 2012 | Reply

Timmy doesn’t seem to have read the part of the book about taking the last row in the temple rather than narcissistically fighting for the first row, wayne, because there’s no first row more visible than national TV during an NFL game. Okay, we’re agreed, nickel and 3rd WR are starters — in which case we have 1 of 3 starters at WR since Kerley isn’t all the way there yet, and that officially makes Conner the most worthless pick of the last 10 yrs as I’ve been saying. The trouble with folks who’d rather make excuses for the Jets than face reality and make the tough decisions is they encourage a culture of apology and weakness — in short, the culture of the Jets for too long and never more so than under Rex. (“Is he perfect? No, but…”)

66. By GaryC on Apr 21, 2012 | Reply

Ira, there is only one problem with saying New England drafts haven’t been that great either.Those picks are trying to.make a team that has won three super bowls in 12 years plus the patriots have selected low because of their winning percentage through the last decade.the jets don’t have that excuse because they haven’t won and should be looking to fill more holes because of their lack of super bowl titles.

67. By joe on Apr 22, 2012 | Reply

IRa THE Pats have drafted pro bowlers(gronkowski mayyrweather) the past 4 years we have not .(as i said earlyier the avg NFL CAREER IS LESS THAN 4 YEARS )The PATS also have a QB NAMED TOM BRADY who gives them the ability to win against any team in the league and makes all the players around him better.Last year BRADY was 4-0 againct the TEBOW -SANCHEZ COMBO AND OUTSCORED THEM 157-70 There is a reason NE was in the SB last year while we were 500 and didnt beat a wimming team all year=they have better players

68. By GaryC on Apr 22, 2012 | Reply

getting bad vibes about this chandler jones, Jojo Wooden I believed played for Syracuse a number of years ago is one of Clinkscales right hand men.Hope he doesn’t have to much of Clinkscales ear about selecting Jones.

69. By Tom Spicer on Apr 22, 2012 | Reply

ESPN New York’s Rich Cimini believes the Jets first priority in round one of Thursday’s draft will be to explore trading up for Alabama RB Trent Richardson. To guarantee Richardson’s services, it would take quite a haul, as the Jets would need to move up from No. 16 to the top-five. It’s more likely that they only explore a trade if he falls past Cleveland and Tampa Bay, which is very unlikely. If that falls through, Cimini expects the team to consider trading up a few spots in order to land South Carolina DE/OLB Melvin Ingram

70. By GaryC on Apr 22, 2012 | Reply

just an update on my previous post, getting my Wooden’s mixed up, the guy I was thinking about was Terry Wooden who played at Syracuse and was drafted by the Seahawks,unless this guy on jets scouting changed his name.

71. By Tom Spicer on Apr 22, 2012 | Reply

SCJoe, I know that if you take a guy in the 6th or 7th round you are lucky if he makes the team. I am just mentioning guys I read about that I think may stick.

72. By Tom Spicer on Apr 22, 2012 | Reply

Also you can forget about Poe the Jets are not taking him. The Jets are getting either Ingram or Coples at 16 who ever falls to them.

73. By Tom Spicer on Apr 22, 2012 | Reply

1 colts luck 2 skins rg3 3 vikes kalil 4 browns richardson 5 tampa claiborne 6 rams blackmon 7 jags ingram / coples 8 miami tanehill 9 panthers poe 10 bills reiff 11 chiefs decastro 12 seahawks kuechly 13 cards floyd 14 boys barron 15 eagles cox 16 jets either ingram or coples who ever the jags dont take.

74. By IRA on Apr 22, 2012 | Reply

Tom, Agree Poe while his physical talents are there too many questions marks about his effort. Sorry any player that has a rep of taking plays off i don’t touch with a ten foot pole. To me its real simple. Jump ahead of Dallas and Phil for Barron or Ingram, take DeCastro or trade down and take best available pass rusher. Jones will be a player in the NFL for sure. 3-4 is not a good fit for him.

75. By MIKE on Apr 22, 2012 | Reply

Spicer, I read that article as well. Like how they call there new DE/OLB drafting strategy based on Vernon Gholston, with the idea of staying away from workout warriors and 4-3 DE’s in the draft. If the Jets have learned there lesson than Poe is definitely not going to the Jets. It will be Ingram or McClennen at 16 if they go with a pass rusher.

I remember back to 08. Gholston was in some mock drafts going to Miami at #1 or #2 to the Rams and was considered a no brainer at #6 to the Jets. It wouldn’t of mattered who was the GM at the time, VG was the guy. There is only one GM in the league who would’ve stayed away from him, Bill Belichick.

76. By GaryC on Apr 22, 2012 | Reply

the only reason the jets would draft poe is to have someone on the roster who can do a belly bump with rex and not end up on the disabled list.

77. By scjoe on Apr 22, 2012 | Reply

Spice, and if Coples or Ingram does not fall to 16 and Poe does?

78. By scjoe on Apr 22, 2012 | Reply

It seems like everyone is jumping on Ira for that NE draft story, and I hate to pile on when someone is down, BUT, today, NFL.com has a story on draft picks who made the pro bowl over the past ten years or so. Guess who comes in at #1? You guessed it, NE with a whopping 15, almost twice as many as the Jets who have selected before them in just about every draft during those ten years. Not only has NE picked much later then the Jets, in at least half of those years NE has picked either 31 or 32. This story speaks volumes.You can call it “dumping” on the Jets FO, OR, you can call it the reality of the situation.

79. By scjoe on Apr 22, 2012 | Reply

Spice, 1-Colts, Luck. 2-Skins RG3. 3-Vikes Kalil. 4-Cleve Richardson. 5-Bucs Claiborne. 6-Rams Blackmon. 7-Jags Coples. 8-Fins Floyd. 9-Panthers Cox. 10-Bills Reiff. 11-Chiefs Kuechly 12-Seahawks Ingram.13-Cards Decastro. 14-Boys Barron. 15-Philly Poe 16 Jets Upshaw? Jones? Perry? Take your pick. My choice here? Trade down with Cleve (Tannyhill) select Jones or Branch at 22. Brown (NC) or McClellin at 36 (from Cleve) and Lamar Miller at 47. What do you think? A+ till that point? Rd 3- Massie (OT) or Sanders (OT) and we are on our way.

80. By IRA on Apr 22, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, Great point and hard to argue those facts. But i was only talking about that two year period plus besides Pro Bowlers they really haven’t had such great drafts. Look at their drafts since 06 – 10. 51 picks over that time and thats produced only 11 starters. So thats 1 starter for every 5 picks. to me thats not a good job. During that time the Jets made 27 picks and produced 7 starters and thats not counting Wilson and Connor who i still say are starters. Oh and btw those drafts gave us 4 Pro Bowlers. Better batting avg!

81. By Tom Spicer on Apr 22, 2012 | Reply

The National Football Post would not be surprised to see the Jets “trade a player or two” in order to clear some cap space this week.
    The Post thinks the Jets will trade “lower level players” in order to gain some flexibility during the draft. Wayne Hunter is currently penciled in as the team’s starting right tackle, but Vladimir Ducasse is waiting in the wings. Due $2.45 million in 2012, the 30-year-old Hunter is a trade/release candidate

82. By Tom Spicer on Apr 22, 2012 | Reply

Gary C, I read this about your guy Shea McCellin. The National Football Post’s Greg Gabriel disputes the notion that Boise State OLB Shea McClellin has been a “riser” based on pre-draft workouts. “What the draftniks didn’t know is McClellin has been high on most teams’ draft boards since the middle of last season,” writes Gabriel, a former college scouting director. McClellin is a virtual lock to be drafted in the first round, and Gabriel compares him to a slightly less explosive version of Clay Matthews. McClellin could be drafted as high as No. 18 by San Diego

83. By Tom Spicer on Apr 22, 2012 | Reply

This is why with the 1st pick we need to shore up the pass rush or the O line. 1 We are not getting Trent Richardson & 2 SI.com draft analyst Tony Pauline agrees that wide receiver is perhaps the deepest position in the 2012 draft.
    “I”ve got 41 receivers with draftable grades, and typically you’re only looking at about 31 to 33 that get drafted,” Pauline said. “You’ll be able to get some really good receivers in rounds two, three, even four and five. But the best you’ll get in that range is a No. 2 guy.” This factor could push top-rated receivers Michael Floyd and Kendall Wright down the board some. Fix the pass rush first than the O line 2nd unless a guy like Dave Wilson or Lamar Miller fall to us. Tahn focus on WR in the 3rd or 5th round.

84. By Tom Spicer on Apr 22, 2012 | Reply

SCJoe, If Coples & Ingram are gone I can honestly see them taking Decastro, Reiff, Barron & Floyd all before Poe. I am not saying Poe is not good I dont know enough about him. I just know Pouha is coming off of a career year & he just got a new contract, Also last year they spent there 2nd pick (3rd round) on a NT in Kenrick Ellis I just dont see them going that route.

85. By Mark@Jets Realty on Apr 22, 2012 | Reply

I agree alot with Eli Rodriguez. LaMichael James (RB Oregon) is not getting the PR he deserves (which is good for us). He has the best “change of direction” quickness out of any RBs in this year’s draft.Cordy Glenn, G from Georgia is listed as a “middle to late” 1st rounder but I like him better as a OL than Kalil.
    Love Harrison Smith SS from Notre Dame. His ST play was some of the best I ever saw in college. He was a one man wrecking crew. Caleb McSurdy LB from Montana and Kelcie McCray SS from Arkansas State are “sleepers” . We should use one of our 6th or 7th rnd picks on them.I’d love to trade down and accumulate picks but history of doing this is not with us.

86. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 22, 2012 | Reply

Yeah, scjoe, and I vote “reality,” not “dumping” or “hating” or any of this other nonsense that people who don’t know that the only constant is change keep saying. I love Ira, he’s an institution, but I think his complacency about how this franchise is at best treading water and at worst deteriorating is far from his finest hour. Ira, we need 6 or 7 starters, an elite QB, and a HC who gets down to business about how the game is played these days instead of just boasting absurdly and making inappropriate wisecracks. I give him, Sanchez, and Tebow, this yr to show big improvement or I say we have absolutely nothing to lose by starting all over with another QB and a roster with significantly less deadwood on it.

87. By Karan on Apr 22, 2012 | Reply

I haven’t been too familiar with the Jets draft process, but do they usually start to add important free agents after the draft? Because with the exception of Tebow and Landry, they haven’t done much or really enough.

88. By joe on Apr 22, 2012 | Reply

SC JOE EXACTLY as the reason the PATS GIANTS STEELERS SAINTS contend FOR THE SB EVERY YEAR IS SIMPLE THEY DRAFT THE BEST PLAYERS Take Pitts as an example they easily draft better in LATER ROUNDS AND WITH ROOKIE FA THAN WE DO WITH FIRST ROUNDERS.Mike Wallace (3rd )Ward (3RD)Antonio Brown (5th )James Harrison Rfa As far as their first rounders THEIR NOT CONTENT with starters they draft PRO BOWLERS THAT TURN INTO Hall of Famers Hampton Polumu Pouncy Rothesburger Woodley.

89. By joe on Apr 22, 2012 | Reply

PS SCJOE granted the draft is the ultimate crapshoot (50%)OF ALL FIRST ROUNDERS ARE OUT AFTER THEIR INITIAL CONTRACT )but there is absolutey positively no way were going to compete with the NFL ELITE by HAVING DRAFTING AS BAD AS WE HAVE.The PATS and Steelers have proven MORE DRAFT PICKS OVER THE DRAFT IS MUCH BETTER THAN FEWER picks in HIGHER ROUNDS Never ever TRADE PICKS TO MOVE UP OR WASTE PICKS ON GUYS LIKE TIM TEBOW. LOL THE ABOVE IS THE EXACT REASON NE HAS PLAYED IN THE SB 5X THE PAST DECADE while we make the list of TOP 10 SBNAKEBIT FRANCHISES OF ALL TIME.

90. By scjoe on Apr 22, 2012 | Reply

Spicer, Ira, GaryC. Just one question….Who is the NT if Ellis winds up in Jail or deported and Pouha goes down early with an injury? I don’t buy into that “no effort” nonsense. This is pro ball, not college.

91. By Tom Spicer on Apr 22, 2012 | Reply

SCJoe, I think your draft would be the worst case senario for us. I hope that does not happen but if it does I have no idea who we should take. But if we could pull of the trade you mentioned we give up the 16th pick for the Browns 22nd & 36th pick I would do it in a heartbeat. At 22 I would take the best pass rusher. At 36 I would take the best tackle. At 47 I would take Lamar Miller or Dave Wilson whoever is there & 1 of them will be. With our 3rd round pick I would take a WR we can get a good WR in the 3rd round last year we got Kerley in the 5th round this years draft has alot of good WRS. We may be able to trade a 6 & 7th round pick for a 4th round pick. But worst case we can get a 5th rounder for 1 6 & 1 7. Then we will have 2 5’s, 2 6’s & 2 7’s.

92. By danny on Apr 22, 2012 | Reply

64 a lot of ppl don’t see us in horrible shape and needing so much like u seem to think, Yes we need a RT in which we may get in the 1st rd lets see. We aren’t in terrible shape at WR and I would love top see a lot of double TE like NE has brought into the league as a passing offense with Hernandez and Gronk. I love Cumberland who is healthy this yr and is like we traded for another weapon. Having Holmes, Kerley and very talented Schilinzs with turner at number 4 isn’t so bad like u think. If we run a lot of double TE sets we will only have 2 wr out there anyway. As for RB I do feel comfortable with Green, Mcnight ( showed vs Denver he can make plays with more and more carries) and Tebow. MS in his 4th yr has t o take the next step

93. By danny on Apr 22, 2012 | Reply

Mcnight is explosive so if they can fix his fumbling problems he can be a game changer for us. He runs those swing passes out of backfield beautiful and can break one at any moment, Ohh also Mcnight showed he can line up at WR and make plays. The biggest need on Offense right now is RT Tom64 and sorry not everyone is so negative on the guys we have. We need a few players and can grab a few with draft and still free agency after draft. We don’t need 7 starters like some nutzo ppl are saying. Some of u ppl are just so negative. We will rebound this yr and are still a good football team. A lot of u ppl are gonna be shocked next season

94. By GaryC on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, go into nfldraftcountdown and see where they listed McClellin before the combine,about 20 to 30 in just the linebackers alone.A lot of these guys become geniuses after listening to others.some of these sports writers wouldn’t know a guy from Boise State from a guy from Montana State if they didn’t listen to Kiper or McShay,some of these guys never watch a college game,especially from Boise,Idaho on a saturday night.they are getting ready for football sunday.

95. By walt on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

After reading all the complaints about the inability of scott to cover anyone last year i can not believe that anyone would consider drafting upshaw. that is upshaws most glaring weakness covering receivers.He is not first round material.This guy ius the second coming of vernon gohlston.

96. By Tom Spicer on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

I read in the local paper yesterday that Rex went to the Tar Heel pro day & really liked what he saw in Coples & asked him to stay & do more after the session was over. He made Coples run linebacker drills to see if he could play the position in college he was a D lineman. He could be the pick if Ingram is not there.

97. By Ablity on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

If Trent Rich falls you got to take him but he won’t, our most important problem is RT and LG but we must not take any players at those position in the first round, unless somebody like the guy out of USC falls, Upshaws is the best thing that could happen for the Jets in this draft, if he falls to 16, we sign him a second after we draft him, this guy was the best and most important player on a defense that allow less than 10 points a game in a entire season, plus, he fits what we need bad on defense, a pass rusher, BTW, i think the Leron Landry pick up was one of the best pick up for the JETS inawhile, we need to along with Lenord and Pool, i like that safety core now, Rebuild the Line and Mark Sand will improve dramatically

98. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

A lot of people like to live in dreamland, dannyp, and you sound like one today. You’re the first I’ve heard to basically say (1) A great team doesn’t need two great WRs (2) Keller plus Cumberland, who’s coming off an injury and hasn’t done anything yet, is in the same league as Gronk and Hernandez (3) Schilens is very talented (I caught hell on this site just for saying he has potential). You also talk about Kerley and McKnight as if they’re proven players, not potentially good ones. And you don’t address our mediocre DL, OLB, and incredibly weak S including the oft-hurt Landry. What good is “being positive” when it has so little relation to reality? Like I said, you win by making the tough choices, not just by making yourself feel better.

99. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

And you can cut out the name-calling, danny p, and just tell me where the starters are at these positions: RT, WR, DL, 2 OLB, 2S, and that’s without considering Slauson’s possibly season-threatening injury, a backfield of just Greene and McKnight as real runners, our mediocre K and P, and our non-existent depth at OL. And in case you haven’t noticed it, free agency is over, there’s nobody left in that pool of any major consequence. (Pick-ups like O’Dowd, needless to say, don’t count, not matter how many times Mr T wants to keep raving about Schlauder-what-his-name, which everyone in the NFL is laughing at him about.)

100. By GaryC on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, look at Ta’amu of Washington if you can’t get Poe,he accomplished more than Poe,from a bigger school,has just as much size and might turnout to be a better pro.

101. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

Another Dispatch from the Real World for you, dannyp, this one from Cimini today: “The Jets need another playmaker, either a starting-caliber receiver who can stretch a defense or a home-run threat in the backfield. These two items should be on their priority list Thursday and Friday for the first three rounds of the NFL draft. Right now, their offense is 3.8 yards and a cloud of dust, their average rush last season. That isn’t going to scare the New England Patriots, and neither is Tebow.” You should read the whole article, in which Cimini also calls Schilens “more of a suspect than a prospect” and talks about our overall failure to give Sanchez any help on O. Oh well, uncle joe assures us Vincent Jackson wouldn’t have been any help…

102. By scjoe on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, I have done the research on Ta’amu and mentioned his name before. The problem I think with him is that he may be a reach in the 1st round and will more then likely be gone by the 2nd. Another problem with the NT position in this years draft is, after those two there really is not a true 3-4 NT the rest of the way. I love Pouha, but is he really a true 3-4 NT, or is he better suited for a 3-4 DE? And Ellis? With his trial coming up in May, who knows? To me, the 3-4 begins with the NT, he makes the OLBs, not visa versa.

103. By scjoe on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

Ira, you make a more then valid point about NEs 06-10 drafts. I have been of the opinion that they were not great during that time span myself. But over the long haul, a ten year period, they were. But just to put all of that aside for a minute and look at the big picture, the bottom line, what it is all about, the grand scheme of things,which ever phrase you want to use, NE has been MUCH, MUCH, more successful then the Jets in overall personal moves (the draft and free agency) over the past decade or so,and it has showed up in the standings, and that is the point that 64 and Joe are trying to drive home.

104. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

More reality from Walker on ESPN, dannyp (and uncle joe): “The Jets WERE UNABLE TO FILL THEIR GAPING HOLE AT RECEIVER IN FREE AGENCY [my caps added]. Veteran starter Plaxico Burress didn’t return, and New York needs someone opposite No. 1 receiver Santonio Holmes. Floyd is an intriguing prospect who could be there for the Jets at No. 16. Some scouts feel Floyd has the most upside at receiver in this draft. Floyd could fit in well as New York’s No. 2 option. This is a huge year for New York quarterback Mark Sanchez, and HE NEEDS ALL THE WEAPONS HE CAN GET [again, my caps added].” This is how folks living in the real world instead of merely the kneejerk “Go Jets!” world see it, boys. We’re not going anywhere until we can scare folks on O.

105. By scjoe on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

Spice, I agree with the masses that the draft is nothing more then a crap shoot. Considering all of the factors, like what system did a player play in as opposed to what system he is drafted in to, the competition level he played with and against, etc. Right now, they are all just names on a piece of paper.The FO has to do their homework regardless of who they choose at 16, then the hard part, teaching and developing the picks to fit your system.

106. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

Yeah, scjoe, that’s what I’m trying to drive home about how we draft, who Rex likes to draft, how Rex now and the Jets historically fail to develop players well enough to become a dominant franchise, etc. But the latest indoor sport on this site seems to be pretending that Brady, the Pats, etc. don’t exist, a pastime in which I refuse to participate. And I really love these folks who say the Pats “haven’t been the same since Spygate” — as if we wouldn’t take their pts scored, wins, and division titles since then! If they “haven’t been the same,” it’s a “same” that we’ve never been!

107. By robertpapalia on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

This is what I keep saying. So far Sanchez has gotten no help on the offensive line. Or for that matter at wide receiver. Or running back. If the Jets go into this season with the same offense they are doomed to fail. And Sanchez will be getting all the blame for it. Wake Up Tannenbaum! Get the players we need to be successful. Or probably face unemployment at the end of the year.

108. By GaryC on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

here scjoe,I know one guy who might not go in the first two rounds but might be of value to the jets and their line,Martin out of Michigan,one of these guys who never takes a play off is a bit undersized but could be like a kelly gregg,and reminds me a lot of that guy Gerald Nichols who the jets had many years ago.

109. By Maurice C on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

I like Upshaw with our 16th pick. We need to get to the passer, we lacked that BAD last year. I think he can be shuffled into our defensive line in multiple positions. I don’t see Floyd dropping to 16. But I think we should trade up to like the 12th or 13th pick so we can draft Mark Barron that’s the only exception that I think can be made if Upshaw isn’t available by the 11th pick. Barron will make sure that Gonzalez or Hernandez doesn’t get a chance to catch the ball because our safties are getting burned every time. Plus his tackling skills are tremendous not to mention Rex’s blitzing scheme’s will play to his strength.

110. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

robertp, in line with the insincerity and outright dishonesty that Mr T and Rex have engaged in, I’m increasingly certain that at least part of the Tebow strategy, maybe from Woody on down and maybe not, is to find an excuse to unload Sanchez without admitting that he wasn’t the right pick at QB to begin with. I can hear Rex now, after both Sanchez and Tebow have been mediocre but TT’s pulled off a few big runs in a 6-10 yr, saying, “Hey, I’m Mark’s biggest fan, but Tim proved he’s the future” — yeah, a future in which we start a subpar QB while a O-clueless HC raves about his ability to put 13 pts on the board. I think the odds of things turning out much better than that are slim but ESPECIALLY so if Sanchez doesn’t get more help on O.

111. By Tom Spicer on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

robertpapalia, I agree 100% all you hear is how Sanchez has to step up but you have the worst starting right tackle in the NFL, 1 good WR (which means you have none cause they will just double the one good 1), no homerun threat out of the backfield & you did the worst thing you could have possibly done to Sanchez by bringing in Tebow. Thank god the draft is this week cause this team as currently constituted is not going anywhere.

112. By joe on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

Starting with REX this TEAM HAS MORE PROBLEMS THAN A MATH BOOK.To try to MICRO MANAGE personal NEEDS on the NY JETS IS LIKE fighting over who had THE BEST DECK CABIN ON THE TITANTIC .lAST YEAR WE GOT THE LIVING daylights beat out of us by JUST ABOUT EVERY PLAYOFF TEAM WE FACED.(the entire year we could not win one game against a playoff team NOT ONE )ON TOP OF ALL THE ABOVE comes a QB CONTROVERSARY .Come on guys untill MIKE T AND REX ARE GONE we cant even begin to try to fix this mess.

113. By Allan O'Dane on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

Joe, This is why I get so upset with the daydreamers…Wayne Hunter wasn’t the only problem with NYJ the defense let us down a few times too. And the play calling from Mike Pettine could be questioned also. If this organzation really wants to win…why haven’t they addressed the O-line? Knowing GQ got killed last year. FA had some guys that could have hepled right away..and I’m not talking about the BIG names…but proven blue collar guys..guys that would have been easy against the cap. Our pass rush..HORRIBLE..people don’t see that Rex all he does is mask this issue by using exotic blitz pkgs with CB’s and S. We need to address the pass rush. Look at the the Eagles…Peters went down they got Bell..

114. By Allan O'Dane on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

And they Eagles STOLE Demeco Ryans from the texans for a 5th round pick?!?
    Come on now…how could the NYJ FO sleep on that one???? I believe they should of went out and got a proven Vet to back-up GQ..a guy like McNabb to teach and to help McElory develop…It’s going to be a long season felllas

115. By danny on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

64 all I’m saying is we aren’t in such bad shape like u think. I love Floyd as u spoke about but do remember u saying your not big on him. We have a draft this week in which we may fill either RT or WR. Safety we picked up a BEAST in LaRon and thinking he will be injured is the negative talk again because he says he is healthy and plenty of players have caught bad breaks and missed a yr or 2 and eventually had good careers.Our D line is solid and Wilk should improve. Yes we need a pass rusher but to say we need 7 starters is ridiculous. If u look over at NE’s D they have plenty of holes. We don’t we just need a pass rusher on D. We don’t need a star at every postion we need solid play across the board

116. By danny on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

As far as on offense we all know MS must take the next step but also ur the one who says we need to give the young guys we drafted a chance to suceed and screamed on here last yr that Rex don’t give Kerley or Mcnight a chance and now ur talking negative and saying neither one of them including Cumberland is proven. No they are not but all 3 have talent and may turn into the game breakers we are looking for instead of overpaying for Vets who aren’t worth what they are paid. It’s about time we give some young draft picks a chance too. Maybe some ppl can stop bashing Tanny about his last few drafts after these guys do prove them selves. U gotta pick one 64 play the young guys or go get all proven overpriced vets not both

117. By joe on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

More SPECIFIC DATA JET FANS LIVING IN a FANTASYLAND SHOULD BE AWARE OF IN REGARDS TO A DIRECT DRAFT COMPARASION TO AFC ELITE PATS AND STEELERS.There are 9 PRO BOWL PLAYERS on the current PATRIOT ROSTER DRAFTED BY THEM.There are 8 PRO BOWL PLAYERS ON THE STEELER ROSTER DRAFTED BY THEM.Our roster includes a total of 3 DRAFTED PRO BOWL PLAYERS which in turn makes us ONE OF THE WORST DRAFTING TEAMS IN ALL OF FOOTBALL.BASICALLY every super bowl caliber teams HAS AT LEAST 6 PRO BOWLERS ON THEIR ROSTERS that they have drafted.All data as per the NFL NETWORK.

118. By joe on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

PS i believe only 2 teams in the NFL (TAMPA BAY AND CLEVELAND )HAVE DRAFTED FEWER PRO BOWLERS THAN US WITH 2.lol RECORD WISE its not too hard to believe the PATS have drafted 3x the amount of PRO BOWLERS THAN WE HAVE AS 9x the past 10 years Belichick HAS WON 10 GAMES OR BETTER.

119. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

See, Spicer, I agree with you 100% on this one (the lack of any credible effort to help Sanchez succeed on the part of Mr T and Rex). Talk is cheap, getting the right players is work — and means spending money. But if Woody doesn’t want to do it, we need an owner who will.

120. By joe on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

EXCUSE ME i got the PAT WIN STAT WRONG as its 9 STRAIGHT YEARS THE PATS AND BELLICHICK have won 10 games or more

121. By scjoe on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, Martin out of Michigan? Maybe as a DE (although he is probably better suited for a 4-3 DT. I do like his motor, and I heard an interview with Kirwin on sirius radio. He is a class act. But as a 3-4 NT? Can you say Dewayne Robertson?

122. By Chris Lenz on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

I would love to see the Jets be able to come away from the draft with Upshaw in the 1st Round and in the later rounds be able to snag I. Pead (no pun intended) from Cincinnati and Mohammed Sanu from Rutgers, and then with their bounty of picks look to add a Tackle and a Safety. I think these three players will fit perfectly into the Jet’s system.

123. By GaryC on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, comparing robertson’s motor to Mike Martin’s motor is like comparing and edsel to a jaguar.

124. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

dannyp, sure I like Kerley and McKnight but guess what? They’re not Welker and Green-Ellis yet. I like Cumberland’s potential but he hasn’t even played a season yet, so to mention him in the same universe as Gronk and Hernandez is ridiculous. Do I compare these Jets to Pats because I love the Pats? No, I do it because THAT’S THE TEAM WE HAVE TO BE ABLE TO BEAT TO GET ANYWHERE! And you’re telling me Landry will have a healthy season because he SAYS he will? I guess that means “Mark” is elite because Rex SAYS he is! I listed the starters and the key back-ups we need and we’ve got no shot of getting them all thru either the draft or FA. Our last 2 drafts yielded ONE starter, no matter what Ira says. Reality, not optimism or pessimism, rules.

125. By danny on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

We may have Upshaw rated at the top of our board and if we grab him then in free agency we look to grab Braylon to help at WR but if he is gone then we may take say Floyd and look to pick up best available pass rusher in free agency. This is why we are not jumping on signing so many guys right now. They wanna see what we come out of the draft with then make some moves. if we don’t get a RT maybe we pick up Clifton the veteran left tackle GB just let go and move him to RT for a yr and draft a RT next yr. There are so many ways to go but that is why there not going crazy in free agency which I think is a good move because most overpaid free agents don’t work out anyway. They have a plan and not gonna change it because a few negative fans

126. By Tom on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

The Jets need to draft a several offensive lineman………two solid tackles and a guard. This area must be rebuilt. The Baltimore game showed it all. They have a poor Right Tackle and a Left Tackle who’s game has slipped. They are not tought enough up front.

They need this DeCasto guard from Stanford plus Cordy Glenn. Also, go for that project from Columbia……the big tackle.

If you want Sanchez to succeed……rebuild the line.

127. By scjoe on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, I wasn’t referring to his motor, just his size, or lack there of for a NT.

128. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Manning to Sanchez extension to Tebow proved the Jets have NO plan, dannyp, as does their incredible unwillingness to deal with the OL, as Tom — someone who actually remembers the inept spectacle of last yr’s BAL game, knows. (And the BAL game the yr before was just as bad.) And I’m glad you’re not in charge of personnel, applauding how the Jets sat on the sidelines in the real FA period when quality OL’s were available but getting excited now about Clifton, who FAILED HIS PHYSICAL! Again, Rex will probably have some absurd excuse for that…

129. By joe on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

ALan YOU SAID IT BUDDY as last year we were LUCKY TO BE 500 .Last year WE ALSO didnt have THE SOON TO BE 3 RING CIRCUS involving TEBOW SANCHEZ.Watch and see the 2012 JETS TOTALLY IMPLODE .The oldest saying in the NFL IS IF YOU GOT 2 QBS YOU REALLY HAVE NO QB.The very first tome SANCHEZ DOES SOMETHING STUPID WITH THE FOOTBALL IT WILL START TO SPIRAL DOWNHILL FAST FOR THIS TEAM (WHO WANTS TEBOW WHO WANTS SANCHEZ ECT ) The brightside will be saying GOODBYE TO REX AND MIKE T

130. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

We don’t actually have 2 QBs, joe, we have one mediocre QB, a QB who’s gonna make us forget how he throws by his heroic play on punts, and a truly promising, smart, accurate QB riding the bench because our HC, for all his talk of Peyton Manning, wouldn’t know how to develop a QB if Andrew Luck fell into his hands on Thursday night.

131. By SCfromNY on Apr 25, 2012 | Reply

If we got Andrew Luck Ryan would make him a WR because he already has “ready to be elite Sanchez”.

132. By David on Apr 25, 2012 | Reply

Why not just trade S. Holmes to the St.Louis Rams for their 2nd round pick and resign B. Edwards? If you remember in 2010, they didn’t have Holmes services until week 7 due to suspension. Sanchez and Edwards had good chemistry. You would have a 1st Rd Pick, (2) 2nd rounders and a 3rd Rounder.

133. By joe on Apr 25, 2012 | Reply

Jet Fan SINCE 64 TOM Your exactly right TOM as REALLY DONT HAVE 2 QBS LOL

134. By Tom on Apr 25, 2012 | Reply

Yes, I believe re-signing Braylon Edwards is a good move. He was a solid contributor for the team. Not only his receiving but blocking skills.

I like this David DeCastro offensive lineman. He is the total package and carries a bit of mean side to him. That is what the Jets need. Someone that will take on the Baltimore defense in an aggressive attacking way. Again, they also need to draft two solid offensive tackles. This line is not set and needs at least one new starter; possibly two. The team must build a hungry, tough and really aggressive offensive line. Its simply not there now.

135. By David on Apr 25, 2012 | Reply

I couldn’t agree more Tom. People don’t realize how much this team has changed since Sanchez’s first year. Remember the signed veteran players who they have not replaced yet. G – Faneca, OT – Woody, FB – Richardson, NT – Jenkins, They bought in older players to help with the defense also. LB – Scott & S – Leonard, who are way past their prime. We need players who are STATERS not backups.
    No more Valds, Wilson’s. You also need the (2) players who start but talent wise are clearly backups or just plan old. G – Slauson & OLB – Thomas. Trade S. Holmes to ST. Louis, get starters man.

136. By David on Apr 25, 2012 | Reply

And remember, just to be clear. The attitude and confidence Rex Ryan has brought to the team has been a welcome change, But the players that were here before he arrived are STILL the best players on the team. Mangold, Debrickshaw, Revis & Harris. All the players drafted during Rex’s tenure a clearly not even the best players in their own division. So, time to get players who are difference makers man. Enough of these borderline starters. Get Playmakers, fix these issues, stop glossing them over with schemes.

137. By David on Apr 25, 2012 | Reply

If you can trade S. Holmes to the Rams and get a 2nd Rd pick, do it!

Get a starting S (Barron) or OLB (Ingram) or G (DeCastro) in the 1st.
    All these players are difference makers, not just starters.

With the (2) 2nd Rd picks, get players who can come in on 3rd down during pass attempts. LB’s – Lavonte David and Bruce Irvin would be great additions.

The talent is there barring a trade up or down after you get rid of Holmes.

Good luck Jets, the clock is ticking, don’t screw it up or it could be your last draft.

138. By joe on Apr 25, 2012 | Reply

David – NO TEAM in the NFL WOULD POSSIBLY take Santonio Holmes IN A TRADE FOR ANYTHING (MUST LESS A NUMBER 2 )BECAUSE OF HIS CONTRACT (HIS PRODUCTION IN NO WAY MATCHES WHAT HES BEING PAID BETWEEN guarantees and salary ect )Pittsburgh franchised Mike Wallace for a number 1 AND HAD 0 TAKERS .Mike Wallace is A younger pro bowl player AND HIS NUMBERS ARE TWICE HOLMES and no one would touch himfor a 1

139. By David on Apr 25, 2012 | Reply

If money is an issue, just agree to pay half of the salary if he’s owed whatever the hell he’s owed. if its 4 years at 12 a piece, pay half for the first 2 years. Get rid of him period. Move On. Pittsburgh got rid of him, now its our turn. Enough.

140. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 25, 2012 | Reply

Interesting thoughts, David, and I don’t entirely disagree. But I suspect joe’s right about Holmes and his contract. What the Jets should be doing is busting their humps to find the right QB to throw to Holmes, Kerley, Keller, and another really talented WR instead of wasting time on moronic fantasies about Tebow playing head groundskeeper or whatever.

141. By Tom on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

Yes, David……you “got it and your right-on”……..we need difference makers. That is the key……..whether it is on the offensive line or at running back or on the defensive line.

As you know, by now, my strong preference is to rebuild the offensive line first and this year. I believe that will bring out the best in Sanchez and for the team. Then, try to shore up these other areas thru availlable professionals that are still out there.

Having said that…..I also like that big offensive tackle from Stanford–Jonathan Martin and the running back Doug Martin that the Giants are eyeing.
    However, in the end…..I vote for difference makers on the offensive line,.

142. By David on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

Here is my dream scenario, have Alabama Safety Mark Barron fall to them at 16 then trade this years 2nd Rd, 5th Rd and 6th Rd picks along with next years 1st Rd pick (and if need be, next years 3rd Rd pick) for Boise States OLB Shea McClellin. With the 3rd Rd pick they should select West Virginia LB Bruce Irvin to rush the passer on 3rd downs along with Aarron Maybin. This would really change the dynamic of this defense. I would settle for the Stanford G David DeCastro in the first also whether Its in place of Barron, or if he falls below the 16th pick trade for him instead of McCellin.

I want playmakers in this draft, who have high motors and love to play the game. Not workout warriors or tweeners. Playmakers!

143. By Tom on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

Sanchez……….”get ready to run for your life” ! ; particularly against defenses that have big and aggressive linemen…..aka Baltimore and the playoff teams.

When you let a real difference maker like David DeCastro slide by to the Steelers; this hints of a so-so near future. Reports said that his type of lineman comes along once every ten years….I believe he will be a Pro Bowl by his second year.

No offensive lineman and that was the number One need in my book.

Also, believe the Giants secured to Studs and Difference Makers in their first two picks. Not sure what the Jets have on their hands.

Not impresses at all.

Tom

144. By Tom on May 7, 2012 | Reply

Based on everything I can tell………….Coples is a total mistake and very poor decsion on a first round choice.. Why him and so many other good -solid perfromers. Let me give you a little hint why I say that: his Combine numbers were absolutely terrible, last place in all classes. Also, apparently there is the questionable desire issues he carries. You cannot take a first round with desire issues. Remember, a tiger does not change his strips. Rex….what are you and your staff thinking. He will be a “slacker”….t.rust me; nothing will change. Basically, you have another player who is somewhere between a Ghloston and Ducasse. I could name five or ten players that I would take before him. Guys , stop blowing it on round one.