• Sun., Oct. 26, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EDT Live Jets Talk LIVE: Pregame Get your most compreshensive game preview as Jets Insiders Eric Allen and Amanda Pflugrad are joined by Vic Carucci of the Buffalo News. JTL kicks off at 11:30 a.m. from the Coaches Club at MetLife  Stadium.
  • Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Inside the Jets

• Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Extra Point - Only on SNY

• Wed., Oct. 29, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

• Thu., Oct. 30, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Sat., Nov. 01, 2014 3:00 PM - 3:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Tue., Nov. 04, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Extra Point – Only on SNY

A Jets Draft that Pat Kirwan Would Love to See

Posted by Randy Lange on April 23, 2012 – 3:20 pm

It’s always great to catch up with Pat Kirwan, a major talking head for Sirius/XM NFL Radio and, back in the day, a member first of the Jets coaching staff and then of the front office. I did that catching up on Friday and one of our topics was the Jets in the upcoming draft.

“I like the draft for them,” Kirwan told me, by which of course he meant that he likes the draft if the Green & White fill certain needs during the seven rounds. Those needs, he enumerated, are pass rusher, wide receiver, running back and tackle. “If they come out of this with outside linebacker and tackle starters, and running back and wide receiver role players, then I think they’ve had a successful draft.”

Who to fill those spots in the first four or five rounds? That’s always the best part, listening to Pat talk about the players he interviewed and watched back in January at the Senior Bowl and who are now getting ready for their introduction into the NFL. You’re familiar with the names although maybe there a few Pat mentioned that you weren’t thinking of for the Jets on Days 2 and 3.

Prefacing his remarks about the pass rusher, Kirwan said, “I talked with Aaron Maybin recently. He gave them more than they thought he would last year. I didn’t know that Aaron’s relationship with Rex Ryan goes all the way back to his high school days. He’s a plus for the Jets.

“But they still have to go get another one. And they’re not going to do it with a 5-technique, so they’ll do it with an outside LB.”

Which ones if the Jets stay at 16?

“If they’re thinking about the position in the first round, it’s either Nick Perry or Courtney Upshaw. I think one of those two guys will be there,” Kirwan said. “If they say OLB in the second round, you’re probably talking about Shea McClellin. He’s kind of in the mold of guys that played for Rex in Baltimore, Jarret Johnson, for example.”

And if that need goes unfulfilled until Round 3, No. 77 overall? “You’re probably talking about Bruce Irvin,” he said of the 6’3″, 245-pounder from West Virginia. “And he may be the biggest diamond in the rough of them all.”

Moving on to the next potential starter, “The right tackle I like is Bobby Massie from Mississippi. He’s played the right side and at some time he may play the left. His stock grows,” Kirwan said, adding as an aside, “I’ve got 15 teams that want to come out of this draft with a [starting] tackle, and I don’t think there are more than eight of them. It’s a supply-and-demand issue. Mike [Tannenbaum] is aware of it. There’s just not enough of them available.

“If Massie’s gone at 47, the Jets could turn to Mitchell Schwartz. He’s the big Cal kid who I had at the Senior Bowl. He’s a big, strong, physical guy. Jeff Allen from Illinois’s in the conversation later. I liked him at guard. He’s got almost 50 college starts and he can play right tackle. So the Jets can get one of those tackles somewhere in the draft.”

Seeking a Complementary RB

As for the offensive backfield need, Kirwan said, “I think it’s a complementary player. I think there’s got to be some admission of what Shonn Greene isn’t. Last year the complement was LaDainian Tomlinson. At No. 77, I like Isaiah Pead, the Cincinnati kid. An offensive coordinator told me, ‘We like him because we intend on breaking the formation, getting him outside and running empty sets.’ “

Two other RBs he likes are Texas A&M’s Cyrus Gray and, on Day 3, another Ole Miss product, Brandon Bolden.

“Gray is the only back in the draft with over 100 college receptions,” he said. “Then Bolden down there in Mississippi, he’s like BenJarvus Green-Ellis. Poor Ole Miss was overmatched with LSU, Alabama — with just about everybody. It was pretty clear Bolden was the main target. And he still delivered.”

For wideout, Kirwan said, “I happen to be a fan of Marvin McNutt of Iowa, another Senior Bowl player. What I love about Marvin is that he reminds me of Donald Driver — smooth, slick route runner, very mature. I think he’s attainable, but you’d have to push into the bottom of the fourth round, I think.” The Jets don’t have a No. 4 at the moment.

So bear in mind, Jets fans, Kirwan is just like the rest of us independent draftniks, except that in a larger, truer sense he’s better than the rest of us because he’s a smart, engaging NFL observer who does this for a living. But he sees a plan he likes for the Jets on draft weekend:

“Nick Perry in the first round, Bobby Massie in the second, Isaiah Pead in the third, then parlaying into the fourth round for Marvin McNutt … I would be writing a long story about how excited I am for the Jets.”

Check Out Pat’s Book

Kirwan doesn’t apparently need me shilling for fans to buy the long story he has written, “Take Your Eye Off the Ball,” but I will.

“The book is doing very well,” he said of the little cottage industry he’s developed over the past year — he’s written a second edition, “Take Your Eye Off the Ball: Playbook Edition,” and produced a companion audio CD plus an audio book, read along with his “Movin’ the Chains” radio partner, Tim “T-Rock” Ryan.

Of the playbook edition and companion video, he said, “I went into the classroom with a whiteboard and shot four hours of video for the book, X’s and O’s on the board. Then I re-released the book as a spiral-bound for all fans who wanted to make notes in the book, like a playbook. That sold a whole bunch more.”

Kirwan has a second book project percolating, a “Movin’ the Chains” kind of approach with Ryan that he said he’s been discussing as an e-book, releasing a chapter at a time online. More details are sure to come. And if you want a little something to make drive time pass by a little more quickly, check out Pat Kirwan’s Website and order yourself the audiotape.

Dixon, Wilson Pitch In to Play 60

Marcus Dixon and Kyle Wilson are participating in the NFL PLAY 60 Youth Football Festival on Tuesday and Wednesday. Dixon and Wilson will be among the eight current players who will be joined by eight NFL alumni, the 26 draft prospects in the area this week, Commissioner Roger Goodell and more than 600 first-to-eighth-grade students from area schools to help reinforce that area New York/New Jersey kids stay active for 60 minutes a day as part of the league’s youth health and fitness campaign.

The clinics will be held at Chelsea Waterside Park on 11th Avenue in Manhattan. At each clinic, students will learn NFL FLAG drills from USA Football coaches and participate in drills with the players. Dixon will be in clinics on Tuesday afternoon, Wilson in clinics on Wednesday afternoon.

Jets-Bengals Details

The particulars of the Jets’ preseason opener at Cincinnati have been firmed up. The game had been set for Friday, Aug. 10 at Paul Brown Stadium. And the kickoff has just been announced as 7:30 p.m. ET.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

26 Responses to “A Jets Draft that Pat Kirwan Would Love to See”

1. By wayne on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

Jets need to win this year, so I can’t see them looking to fortify RT in the draft unless it’s with the first pick and I don’t see them doing that. The starter at the position will come from FA, with an addition or 2 in the draft. Hopefully they don’t try to force pick to fill need and pass up good player. What I hear everyone from 3 down to 16 looking to trade back. Don’t believe all that. 16 is always looking to trade up. So scenario mentioned before of T getting set up could happen. Does the RB fall? We all know the needs They are best served if Jets can get veterans for WR and RT and pick some talented kids to bring along for the ride……Bring the rush at 16: RB or DE/LB

2. By Tom Spicer on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

Pat Kirwan, Is saying the same stuff above that I have been saying sure up the pass rush in the 1st round, tackle or running back in the 2nd round, tackle or running back in the 3rd round & trade a 6 & a 7 for a 4th & get a WR in that round. We will be on our way

3. By Tom Spicer on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

This is Kirwins draft for us. “Nick Perry in the first round, Bobby Massie in the second, Isaiah Pead in the third, then parlaying into the fourth round for Marvin McNutt … I would be writing a long story about how excited I am for the Jets.” My draft for us is this Upshaw or Coples in the 1st, Lamar Miller, Dave Wilson, Bob Massie, Cordy Glenn or Zebire Sanders in the 2nd, Lamicheal James or a tckle in the 3rd. Look at a WR in the 4th & the 5th. We just need this draft to generate 3 starters & we can compete for a title.

4. By Tom Spicer on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

I think Frank & IRA were asking for this. I read Yerihmia Bell Saftey Miami is coming in for a visit today.

5. By Tom Spicer on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

If you can noy get Ingram, Coples, Decastro, Barron or Floyd in the 1st round try to trade back. Do not take a Chandler Jones or reach for some scrub like that.

6. By joe on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

Since WE HAVE NOT DRAFTED A PRO BOWL PLAYER IN 4 YEARS and ARE RATED one of the worst drafting teams in the NFL WHOEVER in charge NEEDS TO BE REPLACED ASAP.

7. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

Yeah, Spicer, Bell’s a classic Jet over-the-hill pickup in the Lott/Law mold, and no doubt if we sign him Rex will rave not about him NOW but the player he was 5 yrs ago. But this is what happens when you don’t build primarily thru the draft and stick with it. dannyp, listen up: Having traded away too many draft choices the last few yrs, the Jets are in an impossible situation in which you somehow have to get good enough to compete with NE and the Giants NOW. It can’t be done, of course, so instead of admitting you need 6 or 7 real, long-term starters, you cut corners, re-signing Thomas here, signing Landry and Bell there. The results will in no way resemble the building of a long-term dominant team but when have the Jets tried to do that?

8. By GaryC on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

so kirwan says nick perry, shea mcclellin,la de,da,da.sounds like I was saying those guys long ago.

9. By joe on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

MORE drafting SPECIFICS IN regard to a direct comparasion between US AND AFC POWERHOUSES STEELERS AND PATS .As per 2012 roster the PATS have 9 DRAFTED PRO BOWL PLAYERS AND THE STEELERS 8.We on the other hand have DRAFTED EXACTLY 3 .Drafting 3 pro bowlers puts us in the exclusive catagory of being one of the worst drafting teams in the NFL.As per the NFL NETWORK no SUPER BOWL CONTENDER has less than 6 drafted pro bowlers on their rosters.

10. By IRA on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

Tom thats right Bell is good insurance for Landry. Thye still need to find a center fielder.
    wayne,
    Sorry disagree with you. Massie or Schwartz will start at RT for any team that drafts them. And the Jets did just fine with Young and Mckenzie when they were rookies so it can be done without a high pick. I will still say they will sign Carey if they don’t get the RT they want or OG they want.

11. By moose on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

The jets need a good running back. Green is an average back at best and he tends to get hurt alot.

12. By Sal on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

I would we are going to take a pass rusher in the first for sure, after that who knows…If I was the jets I would trade down in the first and get more picks, trade back 5 to 8 spots or so…second round they will go safety…maybe RB…but I think safety…3rd they go opposite the 2nd…this draft is going to be defense heavy early…whole new offense being implemented and they got to see how things go…especially with the switch on the Oline to the zone blocking scheme…4th could go WR or RT but I bet they go DB or MLB…Next year will be offense heavy…so I am going with 1st=OLB, 2nd=S, 3rd=RB, 4th=DB/MLB, yes I think they somehow get a 4th rounder thru trades… 5th=RT…6th=WR…7th=C….I still believe Braylon Edwards will be back

13. By scjoe on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

I like Kirwin, I have a lot of respect for him as a football mind. I listen to him all the time on sirius radio, BUT, I think he is setting the bar a little low by saying “if the Jets come out of this with an OLB and a RT, it is a successful draft”. Based on what they have done (or should I say NOT done) in free agency, they are going to need a lot more then an OLB and a RT as starters and RB and WR as “roll players” just to remain status quo. What about safety? What about OG?

14. By scjoe on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

Spicer, don’t label Chandler Jones as a scrub or a bust just yet. When I look at him I see a little Jayson Taylor in him. He may need some polish, but he has a ton of upside. I don’t expect him to be the pick at 16, but a trade down to the low 20s and he may be a good option. Lets hope he don’t wind up in NE. As for Floyd? I sure hope he is gone before 16 so the Jets don’t fall in to that trap. I could live with Barron or Decastro, but not a WR.

15. By DKM on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

Randy great Job there talking to PK. I love MTC is one of my favorite shows in Sportsradio land. PK and T Rock are the best there is in the business more often right then wrong in there predictions.

16. By oasus on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Spicer, cross of Coples and I like your list. I don’t have much faith in Coples. He screams bust to me.

17. By Chris Lenz on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

I really like the call on Pead, he was fantastic last year with the Bearcats. I think he would be a great addition to the backfield!

18. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Sal, next yr the people picking as well as coaching the players are very likely to be different. scjoe, that’s the understatement of the week, we need a ton more than what Kirwan says we do. There’s something similar to what went on with NYC going bust in the ’70s or the feds going bust today in this under-estimation of our needs. I won’t predict specifics but some of you guys are gonna look ridiculous when we actually go into these season with these glaring holes. Like the way Tebow is gonna look ridiculous with a handful of Wildcat plays while Brady just comes out and throws TD after TD, especially if we lose Revis. And dannyp, the knock on Floyd that he’s slow worries me a lot, but that doesn’t mean we don’t need a really good #2 WR.

19. By MIKE on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

I would think Jets stay away from O-line in first 2 rounds cause there are some decent names out there in FA. If they do take a RB in Rd 1 it will be Richardson via trade. No other RB has 1st round potential. At DE/OLB it will be Ingram in a trade, Upshaw if they stay. There are a couple of guys on the site that love McClennen and would have to agree. Much easier converting a OLB to DE than DE to OLB. But you don’t see T Sizzle drop back into coverage with Rex’s old D so maybe DE will be fine.

20. By John D on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

The Jets area good football team that does have a few needs,every team has needs. The Jets absolutely need a Right Tackle but I hope they get same through Free agency, aplayer who has played there in his career .
    Iwant our Defence to be dominate, with a pass rush not developed by schemes but by talent.We haven`t had a dominate pass Rusher since John Abraham bolted to the Falcons a few years ago.
    Trent Richardson is also iintersting but that goes handin hand with another Offensive Line starter.Either way, This front office has drafted better than Jets teams in the past, If they have an impactful draft then The Jets will be in the mix as a Superbowl Contender,that is all we can ask, Superbowls can`t be gaurenteed, injuries factor in.

21. By danny on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Safety Brandon Taylor from LSU looks good to me if he’s available in the 3rd rd still and could probably start right away with LaRon. He’s perfect for Rex D cause he can play both free and strong safety

22. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Good thoughts, MIKE, I hope the FO and Rex heed them during this draft. John D, I agree with you to some extent, as there have been some good big-time picks like Revis and some good sleeper picks like Slauson. But on the whole we trade too many picks and waste too many others on obscurities and “projects,” so I hope Clinkscales leaving is just the tip of the iceberg. I’m still not convinced that Mr T knows a damn thing about the way the game is actually played, certainly not enough to wield the power that he does over this team.

23. By john ski on Apr 25, 2012 | Reply

You hit it right on the head Mike regarding our DE/OLB needs. That’s why I’m pretty much set against Upshaw. He’s too big to convert which translates into only playing him in special situations down the line and that’s not what we need. Not to mention he looked slow to me in the combine and he’s only gonna gain weight. A tall safety is what we need, athletic enough to stay out there. We essentially have one safety with Smith because without a doubt in my mind Landry will be hurt right when we don’t need it. Next is OLB or OL. Tanny’s mentality at draft time, talent before need, scares me. It essentially addresses other teams needs instead of your own and takes up roster space. Build your own team first….

24. By Mike on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

Well i hope they pick someone to protect sanchez as hunter can’t do it thats the most important weekness to fill they ae luckey to have tebow but they still need to protect the quarterback…as a 45 year jets fan i know they won’t make the right picks. they never do but i will hope this year will be different…

25. By JOHNNYA on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

Tom Spicer, made some good points and has a nice grip on the Jets situation going into the draft and the season. We got Coples in round one and I love Coples. In Fact, B4 the season started or we started looking at posible draft picks, all I could think of was how great it would be get Coples and what he would do in terms of damage in Ryans defense. I also luv Lamar Miller, so MRI Spicer is right that getting him would be a real solid move. Hes the opposite of Green nas a home run hitter hes a great compliment. Hes also right that we can win a& challenge 4 the division if they hit on the 4 positions. 4the Jets 2make this work thou they must follow up coples with an edge rushing OLB in rd 2. VCURRY? Branch? Ronnel Lewis? Then we’re ROLLING

26. By john ski on May 5, 2012 | Reply

Yeah I hear ya Mike, but they have made some solid moves with Greene, Sanchez, Keller…. I hope the guard they picked up is gonna be training for Hunter’s spot, but he’s a big guy which is much better for a guard. I wonder if they’re thinking Moore is gonna cost them too much soon/ is getting old or Slauson is making them nervous. If you look at the Sparano interview it seems to me he’s being very nice about Hunter but that’s probably because that’s who he has right now. As for our hopes regarding an OLB, looks like they’re gonna try and pack a few pounds on Demario Davis and have him rush the QB every know and then. And if you have him to worry about, Harris and Pace should be good for more themselves.