• Sat., Oct. 25, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Sun., Oct. 26, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EDT Live Jets Talk LIVE: Pregame Get your most compreshensive game preview as Jets Insiders Eric Allen and Amanda Pflugrad are joined by Vic Carucci of the Buffalo News. JTL kicks off at 11:30 a.m. from the Coaches Club at MetLife  Stadium.
  • Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Inside the Jets

• Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Extra Point - Only on SNY

• Wed., Oct. 29, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

• Thu., Oct. 30, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Sat., Nov. 01, 2014 3:00 PM - 3:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

Tone’s Focused ‘to Make Change, Make It Better’

Posted by Eric Allen on April 24, 2012 – 8:22 am

With just six NFL seasons under his belt, Santonio Holmes is hardly a graybeard. But the 28-year-old Holmes is the Jets’ oldest receiver and he suddenly is the longest-tenured player amongst the WR corps.

“It’s now time to start over,” Holmes told me. “It’s a fresh start, new faces here, and I think it gives me better insight to myself, knowing I can lose a few pounds and come back in as if I’m the younger guy around here. I’m the oldest vet at receiver on our team right now, but I think those guys look up to me because I still have that young man’s mentality that I’m going to work every day, I’m going to outwork you, and if you try to be better than I am, I’m going to make sure I’m better than you at the end of the day.”

Many pundits believe the Jets will add another receiver in the early rounds of the draft and GM Mike Tannenbaum has 10 selections at his disposal. The Jets have the No. 16 overall selection on Thursday night and Oklahoma State’s Justin Blackmon, Notre Dame’s Michael Floyd, Baylor’s Kendall Wright and LSU’s Rueben Randle are expected to be targeted by teams early. But Holmes is happy with the Jets’ current group that includes former Raider Chaz Schilens, sophomore Jeremy Kerley and veteran Patrick Turner.

“I love my group. These guys, the attitude they bring toward me is they want to compete harder than what Tone’s doing. They want to know if Tone did it this way, how can we do it that way plus a little bit more than Tone,” he said. “They’re asking questions, ‘Tone, what do I do here, What do I do here?’ and I just refer back to myself looking up to Hines Ward over the years and playing in Pittsburgh.”

The Jets offense has a new commander in 2012 as Tony Sparano has replaced the departed Brian Schottenheimer as coordinator. While you can expect a commitment to a physical running attack, Sparano has also stressed the importance of producing chunk plays down the field.

“His attitude, the way he grabs our attention just by his voice, he doesn’t even have to look at us or say much. It’s the tone that he uses with us that grabs everyone’s attention and we’re focused,” Holmes said. “We’re excited to have a new guy around, a bunch of new faces, just that whole drive to make change and make it better. I think everybody is open for it. I’m definitely open for it. I’m excited. I hope Mark is and the rest of the guys that want to stick around and be around these Jets for the next few years.”

Even before the Jets were back at work here in Florham Park, Sanchez and a few of the Jets’ skill players met up with Holmes in Orlando to get an early start on 2012.

“When you’re in the business world and things aren’t working out, you go and talk to each other,” Holmes said. “If things don’t look good or feel right, you go and talk to them to make sure it is so when it’s time for the presentation to come, you’re not having these same problems that you were dealing with a long time ago.”

Holmes has never been one for down time. He told me he took less than two weeks off after the season ended and then it was back to work. But he was happy his teammates joined him this spring for a few days.

“For the simple fact that Mark, Dustin, Patrick — guys who came down to work out with me — I loved it, man. We had a great three or four days working out together,” he said. “We had a chance to go out to Disney and Universal, spend some time together and just have fun. I think that’s a part of us growing up and accepting our roles as part of this team.”

Tags: , , , ,
Posted in Eric Allen | 41 Comments »

41 Responses to “Tone’s Focused ‘to Make Change, Make It Better’”

1. By wayne on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

In a short while you who are still on the Ryan bandwagon will be begging for a good old fashioned football coach……And when that change comes, a good old fashioned GM should be picking him……Plot for the coming season thickens. Ask Mr. Revis bout that……………………………….Considering how players who lay it on the line get treated on the back end, who can really blame him….Nothing personal, just business…………Better get what you can for him while you can.

2. By IRA on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Glad to read some positive stuff on Holmes. I agree with him Sparano’s hard love ways will make a difference this year. Holmes is saying just the right things but i do think they add a WR at some point in the draft and or sign Edwards.
    GO JETS!!!!

3. By jetsfan80 on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Different “tone” from Ashley Fox’s comments on ESPN.com a week or two ago. When asked if he had any regrets about last season, his responses were described as a “why should I have any regrets” attitude. If that’s so, there’s too many character questions regarding Holmes. Unless he gets a really good paint job, a leopard doesn’t normally change his spots. It’s a shame because he’s such an awesome talent. For the sake of the Jets this year and for the future, I hope he proves me wrong.

4. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Great to see Holmes bending over backward to set a good example and project a positive tone, but I’ll bet my bottom dollar that the change he’d really like to see that will make the team better is at QB. Or will be if Sanchez keeps blowing game-changing turnovers like he did with that Webb pick-6 vs BAL. As for Tebow, he’s not even worth discussing until I see him miss Holmes and the other receivers by less than 5 yds.

5. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

uncle joe, a more grounded-in-reality view of our LB story from Cimini: “But the Jets have to take a long-term view of the position, knowing that Thomas, Scott and Pace all could be gone in 2013. It would be an upset they don’t draft at least two linebackers — one inside, one outside. The only building block is Harris, who’s entering the second year of a four-year deal. Bellore and Mauga have some upside, but not enough to stop them from drafting an ILB.” So you’re facing another yr with old, slow LBs and new guys who have to step up, not exactly a formula for “winning now,” which is why I’d be just as happy to dump Mr T, Rex, both QBs, and start working on “winning then.” If we lose Revis, there’s almost no excuse not to rebuild entirely.

6. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Where your $2.5 mil is going, from the NFL site: “ESPN.com reported on Tuesday that the Jets have told Tebow they plan to use him on special teams as the punt protector.” There are truly no words to describe the joke that this franchise has become when it retains a HC who, faced with any number of serious holes in his starting lineup and any number of dynamical problems on O, D, and ST, gets excited about — or pretends to, since it’s almost always impossible to know what he really believes — nonsense like this. What I “can’t wait” for is to see Rex Ryan on a Greyhound bus headed for the high school or Arena Football team that he should really be coaching. Though they do throw a lot in Arena…

7. By Frank on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Sorry boys I was MIA with offseason shoulder surgery. Spicer thats right I want this team to sign Bell and hopefully they get it done. As for the draft they better not trade up. The best pick is Decastro I have said it for months already. Then we need to moniter Shea McClellin he is my Brooks Reed for this draft. I say trade up for him if we have to but draft him at all costs. He has the motor and he will be a great backer/pass rusher. Forget this idiotic notion of trading up for Ingram there are NO guarantees with these guys. Rex and the staff and his obsession with defensive picks in the first round of the draft has stunk so far. Pick the best player available not by need!!!!!!!!!!

8. By uncle joe on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Sounds like he should have a C on his Jersey,,,,,,,,,,,,,

9. By IRA on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Frank, Hope that shoulder is getting better fast. I totally agree DeCastro is the surest pick of the 1st rd besides Richardson and the 2 QB’s. I agree i wouldn’t trade up except for Barron and i still have a doubt about giving away any picks. Want Bell but they still need a cover back there. I remember you talking about reed last year. Wilkerson is good but Reed was the guy they needed instead and could’ve kept Ellis for 1 more year instead. McClellin could be the best fit for a 3-4. It will be interesting to see who grabs him.

10. By Tom Spicer on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Frank, The problem is I read Shea McClellin is no longer a secret some mock drafts have him gong 18 to the Chargers so unless we take him at 16 we are not getting him.

11. By Allan O'Dane on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

64tom, I was listening to ESPN radio this morning and had to laugh when I heard they wanted Tebow as a punt protector..where’s the love there?..LOL that position guys get blasted. And trust me teams will be adding a little extra umph for Tebow. Does this make any sense at all? this is the guy Rex wants to replace GQ and he is going to risk him getting hurt as a PP….wow…this almost makes me feel sorry for this kid. Is he planning trick plays? does he think he has brad smith back there? And what about Revis? This should have been a done deal during the offseason…oh I forgot Mike T. is the GM.

12. By robertpapalia on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

If Darelle Revis is talking about holdout, I say trade him. He has 2 more years left on his contract. It is about time that players`s start honoring the contracts they sign. Its` to bad that Revis` contract was front loaded cause now he not satisfied with a measley 6 million a year. He held out once. Understandable. But now twice? I don`t think so. Trade him now while you can still get something for him. Maybe you can trade up to get a Morris Claiborne. Or some other corner back. No man should be bigger than the whole team concept. Not even a Darelle Revis.

13. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Good luck recovering from the shoulder, Frank, and I certainly agree with you that for a defensive-minded HC, Rex is not really setting the world on fire with high D draft picks. Of course, as we all know, he has nothing to do with the draft or the development of players and nothing is really his fault.

14. By Frank on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Ira, forget about drafting a receiver we should just sign Edwards. We are gonna be a run first team we don’t need to waste any picks especially a high one for a low impact position on the team. If anything we need another back and TanWoody should be exploring that possibility. I wouldn’t mind seeing us sign Cedric Benson I think he would be ideal for ground and pound.

15. By Frank on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Spicer if you are right then I say if Decastro is gone at 16 then draft McClellin this kid is right out of the Brooks Reed, Clay Matthews mold and that is exactly what we need.
    Thanks guys rehab is in full swing!

16. By IRA on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

I know i will be in the minority here but how about when they ask a player to re-work his deal or they cut him. I am all for the players its a short lived career and it can end on 1 play anytime. Plus if you recall that was a get him in camp deal done and i am sure both sides knew this was going down once 2012 was here. I would lock him up for 5 years starting this year and it would be the last contract he gets. There is no way he is playing for 6.5 or so this year. I just don’t see it.

17. By kk on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

If Revis pulls this nonsense then ship him out, enough is enough, they renegotiated his first contract with a few years left pain him 32mil the last two years and now he’s crying he only makes 6 mil. If he holds out let him stay home and be done with it.
    No one should be bigger than the team, they had enough problems last year without starting this year with this stupidity. Anyway, hope Mike T. doesn’t get antsy and trade away picks which he has a penchant for doing. They starting to get old and there’s to many holes to fill right now. Guess we’ll find out in two days.

18. By wayne on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Start trading back Jets. Upshaw is not the pass rushing answer. What description I’ve read about him say he’s a power rusher………THAT’S NOT WHAT YOU NEED..

19. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

We’re not even waiting to pick a Gholston this time. From Cimini: “The New York Jets and their top college-talent evaluator will likely part ways in the coming weeks, league sources told ESPN NewYork.com on Tuesday, creating a cloud of uncertainty in the organization as it prepares for a critical draft later this week. Joey Clinkscales, the Jets’ vice president of college scouting since 2008, has drawn interest from the Oakland Raiders, sources said. A final decision hasn’t been made, but some believe there will be a mutual parting, with Clinkscales leaving for what would appear to be a lateral move to work under new Raiders general manager Reggie McKenzie.” Based on some of the last few drafts, I say goodbye and good riddance, Clink.

20. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Yes, Allan, once again the expiration date on what Mr T and Rex say is less than for gallon of milk. Right, you’re really going to “push” a QB you traded up to #5 for with a guy that you’re using on punt coverage, at FB, and at TE. Shades of Campy Campernaris playing all 9 positions in a game in the late ’60s to distract fans from how terrible the A’s were. We need the kind of makeover that happened to the A’s in the early ’70s and led to 3 straight championships. Ira, dumping guys who ask to re-do their deals is the best idea you’ve had in weeks, but I’d also like to dump GMs who panic and OFFER to re-do guys’ deals! Frank, you can’t run too well without good WRs, as we shoulda learned last yr.

21. By uncle joe on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Totally on Board with trading Revis if he starts up again,he should give some money back for that season that he held out,he was terrible that season with his Hamstring nonsense. I was kinda happy Moss burnt him on that bomb.Last year he was ABUSED by Brandon Marshall. The Int wasn’t interference but if Marshall did’nt trip it was a TD for Miami not Revis! I would give more money to Harris and Mangold for being Profesional about their contracts! I’m angry today!!!

22. By robertpapalia on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

There is know way he is going to play for 6.5 million a year. Well that is what he agreed to when he signed the contract in the first place. That is the problem with society today. No responsibility for one`s actions and the hell with everybody else. He signed the contract knowing full well that it was backloaded. Now he sees he is going to make less money and doesn`t like it. Well too bad. They should trade him why they still have the chance. Nobody should be bigger than the team.

23. By GaryC on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

well well,I see clinkscales might be leaving,what a surprise,what has taken the jets so long,I mentioned him a long time ago about why the jets draft picks have been a disaster.here is one more thought that came to my mind,why is Bart Scott still here if the jets gave him permission to seek his own deal,how could he possibly start now.Only in Jetland.

24. By scjoe on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Here is what I would do with Revis, RIGHT NOW! Trade him to TB for their #1(5) and #3, then select Claiborne at #5 Get rid of that headache, not worth the aggravation.

25. By GaryC on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

there goes jetfantom making holmes out like he is ready to join the boy scouts or walk a little old lady across the street.enough already with this liberal thinking,you are what you are.

26. By GaryC on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

no wonder tannenbaum is trading draft picks,he is going on the word of his head scouting guy who has been getting interviewed by other teams.well maybe now we can get a top guy in here like thompson of Green bay,rex likes to bring in ex ravens, he could bring in the best, Ozzie Newsome and tell Woody to ship Tanny and Clinkscales.

27. By joe on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

SAME OLD JETS .Revis TOOK ADVANTAGE of REX AND MIKE T 2 years ago why not AGAIN (THIS IS WHY YOU CANT RENOGIATE WITH YEARS LEFT ON A CONTRACT)IF THE JETS WERE SMART they would let him sit out and lose the money (since REVIS IS BREAKING THE CONTRACT HES PROBABLY RESPONSIBLE FOR REPAYING THE UP FRONT MONEY AS WELL )With OR WITHOUT REVIS were not going anywhere near the sb anyway

28. By joe on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

ps IRA -REVIS is playing the Jets AS IT STANDS HE IS PROBABLY in the top 2 highest paid corners in the NFL .There is no way possible he sits out 2 years in the prime of his career and loses 12 million dollars (on top of the 12 million he WOULD HAVE TO REPAY ANY UP FRONT GUARANTEED MONEY AS WELL ).This is not an elite qb thats threatening a holdout.Last YEAR WE DIDNT MAKE THE PLAYOFFS WITH HIM and were 8-8.If he holds out SO WHAT AS WERE 7-9.

29. By Another Tom on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Darelle holding out again? I really dont blame Him…but the more He does this the easier it will be to part ways Him.. everyone gets tired of it..trading him could be a great move as we REBUILD..I now think Shea Mac is our first round no brainer pick.. either He or the next best “clean” high character player available..

30. By danny on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

I’m getting tired of Revis and his contract too. He has been paid a lot of money the last 2 yrs and he signed his contract. Trade Revis and our 16th pick and move up to take Trent Richardson. Then we try and pick up Asante Samuel from Philly if possible. Revis aint no team player with this contract stuff and shows why we don’t have leadership when our star wants money money money over being a team player and honering his contract he held out for 2yrs ago for. I keep trying to love the guy but man this contract stuff really irks me. If he wasn’t paid 32 mil the last 2 yrs I would agree but cmonn man he was paid plenty so 6 mil this yr he shouild live with and worry about it next
    yr

31. By Alex G on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Wow Revis should just Man up, and honor the deal he signed. or like many posters said and I agree get trade stock for him. let him bankrupt another team.

32. By oasus on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

One thing you guys need to remember: if Revis holds out, his contract doesn’t void after next year. He CAN’T hold out unless he really wants to be stupid about it. IMO, all teams should have holdout protection built into their contract in some way, shape or form. What that would encompass, I really don’t know, but teams shouldn’t have to deal with that bull shit like with Revis and Chris Johnson.

33. By IRA on Apr 25, 2012 | Reply

Frank, Benson is not a bad idea. But they need to add speed back there and will draft a RB in the later rds.

34. By kk on Apr 25, 2012 | Reply

Ira, his deal averages 11.5 million over the term highest paid DB, plus he recieved a majority of that money in the first two years. Honor your contract and they will rework it. The me first attitude is not what’s needed right now on this team and he should shut up show up, play and let his agents and Mike T. do their thing.

35. By Tom Spicer on Apr 25, 2012 | Reply

This was in the local paper. Jets OLB Aaron Maybin is hoping to weigh in between 240-250 pounds this season. Maybin’s inability to keep weight on was the root of his undoing in Buffalo. He says he’s already added six pounds since the beginning of Jets OTAs, and thinks he could be more than a passing-down specialist if he keeps his weight up. “I’m just trying to make sure that through this offseason, our coaching staff sees exactly what I see,” Maybin said. “And that they’re confident putting me out there on first and second down

36. By Allan O'Dane on Apr 25, 2012 | Reply

KK, Scjoe, & Robertpapalia, I totally agree with you guys. NO ONE should be bigger then the team! you signed a contract now honor it!…We went thru this crap 2 seasons ago. NYJ gave you a boatload of money you know what this team is going thru right now.,….show some leadership man! You know what? if Revis wants to play this game and holdout…they should trade him get some picks and draft Clairborne…Everytime you turn around there’s some drama with this team…Mark & Holmes drama…Tebow drama…Cro and baby mama drama…and now this! There is so much a fan can take man! I’m willing to sit back another year…let this team implode….and then Rebuild..from the FO on down…and then maybe before I’m 50 I can watch this team in the SB.

37. By Allan O'Dane on Apr 25, 2012 | Reply

This garbage will stop when we get a REAL pure pocket passer…get a REAL GM like Polian and get a REAL headcoach like Cowher and a scouting dept. and truly knows how to evaluate players like the steelers and NE…Then this organzation won’t be regarded as a joke. Just think about this…two years 0ver 60% of the players wanted to play for this team and Rex….what do you think it is now?

38. By Tom Spicer on Apr 25, 2012 | Reply

Frank, I like the Cedric Benson idea the guy has rushed for 1,000 yards 3 years in a row in the AFC north. That is pretty good considering that 4 games a year or a quarter of your season you play the Steelers & the Ravens 2 times each.

39. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 25, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, Holmes certainly has his prickly side but anyone who thinks any good WRs are gonna stick around for the kind for kind of passing game we have is dreaming — oops, sorry, that would be our HC and OC!

40. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 25, 2012 | Reply

Spicer, I proposed Benson as a Jet on this site last yr and was laughed at. Now it’s too late, we don’t need any older players at any position given the likely collapse this season. That’s why I wouldn’t object to trading Revis and the loss of Holmes, though the latter would be symbolic of Rex’s inept era, wouldn’t be a big deal at this pt either. Once we perform dismally this yr, as I’m reasonably certain we will, all bets will be off from GM on down to ST players and it won’t matter which vets stick around or not. All of which might be worth it if this time we start with a QB with a big arm.

41. By joe on Apr 25, 2012 | Reply

ALLAN GREAT POINTS This DRAMA ect reminds me of the YANKEES of the late 70s THE ONLY DIFFERENCE WAS THAT THE YANKEES WERE WORLD CHAMPS WE DEFINATELY ARE NOT