• Sat., Oct. 25, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Sun., Oct. 26, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EDT Live Jets Talk LIVE: Pregame Get your most compreshensive game preview as Jets Insiders Eric Allen and Amanda Pflugrad are joined by Vic Carucci of the Buffalo News. JTL kicks off at 11:30 a.m. from the Coaches Club at MetLife  Stadium.
  • Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Inside the Jets

• Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Extra Point - Only on SNY

• Wed., Oct. 29, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

• Thu., Oct. 30, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Sat., Nov. 01, 2014 3:00 PM - 3:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

Sweet 16 (?) in the Draft? Mendelsohn Monitoring

Posted by Randy Lange on April 26, 2012 – 5:13 pm

A busy night is ahead for all of us NFL fanatics as the 2012 Draft comes barreling toward us in a few hours. For me, I’ll officially kick off the night with an appearance with my partner, Eric Allen, at the top of this year ‘s Draft Web Show on newyorkjets.com. The show will start at 6 p.m. ET and wrap up with plenty of time for all to get refreshed, restocked and rehydrated before Commissioner Goodell takes the podium at Radio City around 8 p.m.

In fact, I’ll depart from the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center shortly after helping EA kick off the draft show and will then wend my way into the city and eventually end up at 51st and Sixth to take in the night’s proceedings, which should include meeting up with the Jets’ new first-round selection, whoever it is and wherever that choice is made, for some quality time in between his making stops at the draft headquarters and then down the street at the SNY studios.

Will the Jets spend that No. 16 pick? Who knows. We’ve heard the Jets might move up, might move back, might sit tight. If the Jets do spend the 16th selection, it will be only the third time they’ve used that pick on a player in their history.

The previous two Sweet 16s did well for the Green & White for a short while and have had good careers since their Jets days:

■ DE Hugh Douglas, who came to the Jets at No. 16 out of Central State in Ohio in 1995, left after the ’97 for the Eagles, and in all had a 10-year, 80-sack career and now is an ESPN talking head.

■ WR Santana Moss, No. 16 in 2001, who’s still going after playing his first 11 seasons for the Jets and Redskins and making 639 regular-season receptions combined. ‘Tana also holds the distinction (until perhaps Jeremy Kerley breaks it) of having the most recent punt-return touchdown for the Jets, on Jan. 15, 2005, in the playoff loss at Pittsburgh.

And the No. 16 the team had in 2000 only counts if you add an asterisk. The Jets parlayed that pick and their 48th choice in the ’00 draft and sent it to San Francisco for the 49ers’ 12th overall pick. With that choice they selected DE Shaun Ellis, who until last season was a longtime contributor to the defensive cause.

Keep Hangin’ In There, Steve

As always, reality intrudes into the Jets’ and the NFL’s world. Tonight when I take time out from draft developments, I’ll offer a quick prayer to Steve Mendelsohn as he follows the draft from his Dumont, N.J., home.

I detailed Steve’s battle with pancreatic cancer before the start of last season in a story on newyorkjets.com. The Jets’ frequency coordinator since 1999 had already beaten doctors’ prognoses that he had a year to live due to a lung sarcoid six years ago and three to five months to go from the cancer back in January 2011. His goal then was to make it to the Jets’ next playoff game. They didn’t get the postseason, of course, but Mendelsohn and his extended green family did go into the offseason together.

Steve was sent home from the hospital last week with a new prognosis of two to six weeks to live. He admitted to me that he was pretty down last Friday. But a list of Jets visiting his home this week, led by general manager Mike Tannenbaum and head coach Rex Ryan, has reinflated his spirits. His new goal: to attend one of the Jets’ early OTA practices the week after next.

“The GM made the request that I come out and have lunch then,” Steve said. “God has made my life plentiful these last weeks. I don’t take bad news easily when I know I can overcome it. So I’m coming out. Whatever it takes.”

Have a great draft tonight, Steve, and we’ll see you here soon.

McElroy, Posey Do the Honors

QB Greg McElroy and DB Julian Posey will team up with the N.J. Department of Agriculture to honor Dwight Morrow High School in Englewood on Friday morning for being one of the winning schools in the 2011-12 “Eat Right, Move More” contest. The program encourages Garden State schoolkids to take advantage of healthy foods in their school cafeterias and become more active.

Tags: , , , , , ,

23 Responses to “Sweet 16 (?) in the Draft? Mendelsohn Monitoring”

1. By sal on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

Dont look like it is going to be a great draft for Gang Green, team is trying to fill holes due to trading off players for the most part. They have been solid for the most part in recievers and O-line untill last 2 seasons. They have moved backwards as an organization, and with the Stienneress (move of the 80’s) is most likely will be where they are at the end of the season. On the outside looking in. Need football people bake in the front office. Lost hope with Tatenbaum!

2. By wayne on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

This team had better be trading back. There’s no one on the offensive side of the ball that warrants being picked that high, especially on the OL. They can get value later at the position. Fill the roster out Tannenbaum. Do your job.

3. By Eli Rodriguez on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

Quinton Coples…….really! This guy wasn’t happy when they called his name. I hope I’m wrong but I smell a VG again. OMG!

4. By Karan on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

I may be wrong but I’ve heard Coples has bust written all over him. I would have have preferred Riley Reiff. Oh well, we’ll see, personally, I don’t like this pick, hope you guys prove me wrong.

5. By wayne on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

As expected no offensive players taken outside of that special group of 4 and Tanehill. See what can happen when you allow draft to unfold rather than forcing trades. Good things come to those willing to wait. I’d expect them to take a runner with the 2nd pick, then go OL.

6. By MIKE on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

Worst scenario ever. Coples has more bust on him than any other other player in the draft. Even worse NE got Jones. You just signed your own resignation Mr.T and Rex. Can’t wait for 2013 draft.

7. By sal on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

insanity is something you do over and over expecting a different result. Does this first round pick have diaster written all over it? I cant even remeber the other guys name they finaly cut ties with. Dont want to remeber, cause here we go ahain!

8. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

Now I’m not gonna be too negative, guys, because I think like Ira says it’s wrong to do that on draft day unless your team picks, say, Doug Jolley. You really gottta wait and see how these guys actually play. But I wanna ask you all, what you do think about us taking Coples, who strikes me as another potentially Gholston-esque “project, over: Ingram, McClellin, Jones, Reiff, DeCastro, Hightower, Mercilus, Zeitler, and now Smith? Ingram, McClellin, Reiff, DeCastro, and Hightower were mentioned more than anybody else on this site, and they were all available. And of course NE, with all their picks, got Jones AND Hightower!

9. By scjoe on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

I am OK with Coples. Would rather have seen Reiff, Decastro or Jones instead, but Coples is a good pick. Just happy it wasn’t Ingram or Upshaw in that spot. I am really hoping for Miller (RB) in the 2nd, but the fact that two backs have already been taken the odds against him still being there are not great.

10. By MIKE on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

PLayers availible at 16.

Ingram, McClennen, Rieff, Decastro, Merceluis, Perry, Jones , Hightower.

I would of taken any one of these guys over Coples.

Jets take only player on board that has questionable work ethic and motor.

11. By GaryC on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

this is a good pick,at least we didn’t get floyd, and coples is not another gholston,first of all he is much more athletic and isn’t musclebound and has much more flexibility,and north carolina has put out some very good defensive players over the years like Peppers and Taylor,Greg Ellis so I am not going to get on Tanny’s case on this one,they talk about value in draft and coples many people said would go top 10 and jets got him at 16 without giving up extra picks,sounds good to me.

12. By sal on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

Jones pic # 21 DE pass rusher picked by Pat’s of course…No baggage, brother is a champ..This is what seperates the 2 teams. I hope the next “Julias Peppers’ works out, but have a hard time when I hear motivation problems, plays great some times..Warning sign or what!

13. By kleckofan on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

not sure there won’t be other articles on the draft so I’m writing here first…after saying throughout the run-up to tonight that I didn’t think there was a legit pass rusher out there we choose the one guy built like the protypical PR a la Osi, Tuck, JPP, Watts and Peppers. That said, we also got the guy with “motor questions”. Please, please, please do not be the second coming of Vernon! For all the physique questions, I would have gone Ingram based on motor alone or McClellin. At least we have Seattle to point to for bizarreness!
    NE didn’t grab Ingram either for whatever that means, and they didn’t take the ND safety, Smith, either. Go O-line and WR (burner) tomorrow. At least we didn’t trade away picks; NYJ fewest picks in last 3 yrs

14. By jonreynosofh on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

I love this pick. Absolutely Love it! Best player available, and will play along side Mo for many years.

Look at all the value of players in round 2. We have got off to a great draft.

A+++++++++++++

15. By IRA on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

Hope Steve makes it out to more than OTA’s. God Bless him and watch over him.

16. By GaryC on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

who were the jets going to start at end Mike DeVito, please,JPP was a work in progress who turned great in his second year,to the bloggers Mercilus has more of a chance to end up a bust like Gholston,If Ellis gets his legal problems straightened out.Coples,Ellis and Wilkerson can be a very good front three for a long time.for the people who loved courtney upshaw, he is still on the board, how did that work out.My saying that Perry would be drafted by packers worked out, he will be the bookend with clay matthews.As for Today it has to be wideout and offensive tackle.

17. By Allan O'Dane on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

64tom,
    This kid coples scares me…..A LOT!…McShay said if the coaching staff can get him to play he will be a top 5 player….Notice the word “IF”….IF I am not mistaken isn’t this the samething they said about Gholston?…When they picked Gholston it was because he beat Jake Long twice for sacks…wow…Do you think Long just had a bad day at the office?…boy oh boy…I sure hope this kid turns out to be the next julius peppers….I would have prefered Ingram or Decastro (great pick for Pitt)…Lets see what happens tonight…Upshaw is still available…we need to get a LB,RT,S, and RB…Does anybody know if L.David from Neb. was chosen?

18. By GaryC on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

If Ingram was so great why didn’t new england move up for him, severely overrated.See Scjoe, when I said Rex was working out Couples as a linebacker I guess they were seeing how athletic he really was.

19. By scjoe on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, regardless of what many here believe, Coples is a good athlete, he can be moved anywhere within the front seven. He comes from a good program that has produced many good pass rushers, as you already indicated. He will be just fine. He could not have gone to a better system to utilize his skill set. And all the talk you here about his motor, or taking plays off was due largely in part to him playing not to get hurt in his senior year.

20. By Tom Spicer on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

Allan, Lavonte David is still out there

21. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

I have my questions about Coples too, Allan, and I never like to hear this motivation talk. If you’re not motivated to play a kid’s game for a living for millions of bucks, what ARE you motivated to do? But GaryC is making loads of good pts today about these other allegedly highly-rated guys who haven’t been picked yet, so I’ll hope for the best on Q.

22. By danny on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

We are taking a risk on Coples but man the reward could be JPP Jr so I think I like it. This kid has all the potential in the world and after reading some reports that scouts questioned Julios Peppers work ethic and love for game too when he came out of NC I felt much better. There could be a lot of different reasons why his production dropped his senior yr but he showed his potential his jr yr and at the senior bowl. Most important look at the size and athletic ability and WOW

23. By Todd Cohen on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

Hey Randy,

I am sorry to hear about Steve’s diagnosis. Pancreatic cancer has no detection method or cure and has a survival rate of just 6 percent.

I volunteer for an organization to fight pancreatic cancer and we can use all the support we can get. This disease took the life of another former Jet – Sam DeLuca and I would love to see if the Jets would be willing to join us in the fight. Please email me if you would like to help.

Thanks