• Wed., Sep. 03, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Replay Jets Open Mic on SNY Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences
  • Wed., Sep. 03, 2014 2:15 PM - 2:30 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Thu., Sep. 04, 2014 2:00 PM - 2:15 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Thu., Sep. 04, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Thu., Sep. 04, 2014 10:00 PM - 10:30 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Fri., Sep. 05, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Fri., Sep. 05, 2014 1:25 PM - 1:40 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Sat., Sep. 06, 2014 7:30 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Sun., Sep. 07, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Live Jets Post Game: Raiders at Jets Reactions and on-field interviews with Jets players immediately following every Jets game
  • Sun., Sep. 07, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Live Jets Post Game: Raiders at Jets Reactions and on-field interviews with Jets players immediately following every Jets game

Hill Travels in Some Big-Name, Big-Number Circles

Posted by Randy Lange on April 28, 2012 – 2:27 pm

Stephen Hill showed a remarkable skill with some impressive namedropping during his first news conference as  a Jet at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center.

“Yeah, definitely Calvin Johnson,” Hill, the Georgia Tech wideout, told reporters at midday today when asked if he agreed with VP of college scouting Joey Clinkscales’ likening of Hill to “Megatron.” the Madden NFL ’13 cover dude. “And if I can say a little old school, I’d say Jerry Rice.”

If you look at one set of Hill’s Yellow Jackets numbers, his receptions, you’d say, well, good luck with that. In Tech’s triple-option offense he totaled only 49 career receptions, an average of 16.3 per season, 1.3 per game.

But look at another set and you might say, why not? Hill had nine touchdown receptions in his college career, each of which went for an average of 55.2 yards per catch. As a junior last year, he had five TDs for a 64.0 average per catch. His 29 total catches averaged 29.3 yards per catch, leading all of college football.

That Georgia Tech offense was feast and famine for a wideout of Hill’s skills, but as he said about shifting gears from the triple option to whichever pro offense he was ticketed for, “I’ve been away from school for four months. I did a lot of transitioning, especially going down to the IMG campus, working hard six days a week. My only transition is just playing faster and playing against great guys.”

And to help him with that transition, well, Hill dropped a few more names, this time of some quarterbacks.

“I worked out with Ryan Tannehill, Russell Wilson and Kirk Cousins,” Hill said. “And Vinny Testaverde kind of threw it to me, too.”

Yes, that Vinny T, the Jets’ own former QB who helps out some young up-and-comers at the Bradenton, Fla., complex.

“Oh, yeah, definitely Vinny can still spin that thing,” Hill told Eric Allen for newyorkjets.com. “It’s amazing to see a guy who played so many years and still moves so great. He gave me a lot of tips, on how to get in and out of breaks. And he told me to just stay in my place, go out there and be a pro.”

Hill, who just celebrated his 21st birthday the day before the draft began, has a great head start on that goal. Every player is more than the sum of his numbers, but in Hill’s case some additional numbers pop out and tell a little something more about how the 6’4″, 215-pounder from Lithonia, Ga., may adapt to North Jersey and a New York state of mind:

4.36 — That was Hill’s announced 40 time at the February combine, although he was told one watch had him at 4.28. “I’ve had that speed since I was a kid. I just keep working, working, no days off. I’m in a no-days-off period. I knew I was fast when I started running track at the age of 6,” he told reporters. To EA he agreed, “It’s good to have this type of speed. It’s a blessing to have this type of speed.”

11’1″ — That’s Hill’s broad jump distance. Sound like a long way to leap? That’s tied for the seventh-longest broad jump at the combine at all positions since 2006. I won the states in my junior year and in my senior year I came in third behind Eric Berry and Brandon Boykin. Jumping against those guys was such a boost to my confidence.” As a senior Hill set the Georgia state long jump record at 25’8¾”.

39’5″ — His announced vertical leap at the combine. That’s just a merely impressive stat, tied for fifth-highest among all positions at this year’s workouts. But wait, there’s a catch. “I really thought I had a better jump, but they had me redo it.” He said his best vertical came in high school,  a 42’0″ leap. That would have been in the top 10 for verticals in the last seven combines.

84 — That’s the uniform number Hill is expected to  wear as a Jet. Why 84 after he wore 5 at Georgia Tech and 25 at Miller Grove High School? “I wore 84 in high school for an All-America bowl game after my senior season. My dad, Henry Hill, wore it when he was in high school, and I had a big game wearing it. Now I’m getting to wear it again.”

Hill’s dad, mom and family came up from Georgia with him for his introduction to the area today. And he’ll be back for next weekend’s rookie minicamp here at the Jets facility, where we’ll get to see No. 84 start working on some new numbers and achievements at the next level.

Tags: , , , , ,

66 Responses to “Hill Travels in Some Big-Name, Big-Number Circles”

1. By Cliff on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Wish the Jets had some picks in the 4th & 5th rounds. Would have loved for them to find a way to draft Nick Toon. He’s going to be a good NFL receiver for the Saints.

2. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

I fully expect you guys’ll be shocked by my optimism re Hill. If you think I was hopeful about Plax and Mason, GaryC, you ain’t heard nuthin’ yet. Big, fast, deep-threat WRs are my thing and they’re more important than ever these days. What’s more, the Jets have pretended they don’t exist for FAR too long. You see how Demaryius Thomas became one of the best young WRs in the NFL even while playing for one of the worst young QBs in the NFL. (That would be our #2 QB, though I hope he either becomes the second coming of Ben R and starts or gets traded after this yr.) And those TD/avg p/catch numbers on Hill are TOTALLY WALKER-ESQUE! Goodbye and good riddance to “ground and pound.” Now let’s just make sure one of our QBs can GET HIM THE BALL!!!

3. By scjoe on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

64, are you saying (or thinking) that because of the Hill signing the “ground and pound” offense we have heard so much about since the signing of Sparano and Tebow will now be shelved? Are you saying that because of selecting one WR in the 2nd round that the whole offensive scheme that we have heard so much about will now do a complete 180? We will now be known as “air Sanchez/Tebow?” If that is the case, it could only happen with this team and this FO

4. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

I wish we had 4th and 5th picks too, Cliff. But while it’s nothing against Nick Toon, some Jet fans gotta stop with the sentimentality over Leon, TJ, sons of former Jets and so on and focus on who’s on the field. HILL RAN A 4.28 and that’s where it starts for us at WR. For all those who made fun of the late Al Davis for Heyward-Bey, guess what? He and Denarius Moore are now 2 of the best young WRs in the NFL. Speed can’t be taught but route-running can. What’s more, if you watch Hill’s tape he pulled off some amazing, truly acrobatic catches. If he drops a few too many, that’s a problem Edwards had into his 5th or 6th yr and we straightened him out okay. Anything that moves the Jets into today’s pass-happy style of NFL play is a good thing!

5. By scjoe on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Great news. The Jets just drafted a safety in the 6th round. The 80th ranked safety in the nation. Only question is, will he make the practice squad? I sure hope they go kicker or punter with the two 6th round comp picks, at least there is a 50-50 chance they make the roster.

6. By scjoe on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Want to make that last comment about the 80th ranked safety even harder to swallow? The Titans a couple of picks later select Markelle Martin, 6’1″ 207 the 7th ranked safety who runs a 4.45 and excels at covering larger TEs and is an academic all big 12

7. By wayne on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

64, I love this pick as well, but ground n pound is going nowhere…..There was a need at the WR position and for the time being it will be filled by committee while this kid learns. Hopefully he’ll be able to contribute early. Saprano says he’ll wants to take shots downfield, this kid and the pickup from Raiders gives him that oppty…..But ball control will have to prime directive on Sundays….Jets do have some speed now to keep defenses honest on the back end. And if they can hit one every now and again, that could open things up a bit more…..I am glad to see them draft speed. A big problem with this team was its lack of speed across the board.

8. By Tom Spicer on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

I know nothing about Robert Griffith the Guard from Baylor & Josh Bush the Saftey from Wake we took. But I can tell you this I watched a few Baylor games this year to see what all the hype was over RG3 the QB who went to the Redskins. I can tell you this the running back we took in the 6th round Terrance Ganaway from Baylor in the games I watched he wasnt good. He was GREAT! He had 1,547 yards & 22 TD’S last year. So the team is starting to take shape BUT we still need a right tackle it still comes down to this if you can not block for the QB & the RB YOU CANT WIN!

9. By Tom Spicer on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Also about Terrance Ganaway I am suprised we got him in the 6th I would have thought he would have went in the 4th so I like the pick.

10. By Tom Spicer on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

I got this off of my site. Jets selected Baylor RB Terrance Ganaway with the No. 202 overall pick in the 2012 NFL draft.
    A true ground-and-pound runner, Ganaway is a bruising 6-foot-0, 239 pounds. He possesses surprising quickness for a back of his size, however, and is also a capable pass-catcher.

11. By Tom Spicer on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Jets selected Wake Forest S Josh Bush with the No. 187 overall pick in the 2012 NFL draft.
    A three-year starter for the Demon Deacons, Bush nabbed All-ACC honors in 2011 on the back of a 59 tackle, six-interception campaign. Bush is an adept center fielder

12. By Tom Spicer on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Jets selected Baylor OG Robert T. Griffin with the No. 203 overall pick in the 2012 NFL draft.
    After playing tackle for two years in Waco, Griffin will move to the interior with the Jets. Griffin boasts a massive body at 6’6″ and 338 pounds and the strength to play at the next level.

13. By Tom Spicer on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

From the local paper. Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum says OT Wayne Hunter “is our right tackle now.”
    “The offensive line is something we’ll continue to monitor over the next few weeks, as we will at all positions,” Tannenbaum said. “When we get through the draft, we’ll evaluate the depth chart.” The Jets didn’t draft any first- or second-day competition for Hunter, so the odds are rapidly increasing he’ll return as the starter. Bills LE Mario Williams should be licking his chops

14. By Another Tom on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

This has been another head scratching draft( Rexs’ last ? ). Although I really like our top 2- both are studs!- I cant imagine why we continue to ignore our most glaring NEED by far, the OL..I hope MS can get the ball to Hill too, just like He used to complete deep to B.E…Hill seems like a very likeable and exciting player, love His attitude

15. By Ed in Tucson on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

That’s funny, from what I’ve read, his blocking ability will be helpful in reestablishing the ground & pound, that’s one of the reasons he was drafted. His downfield ability will probably be wasted with our starting QB; unless he improves his accuracy by 10 percentage points. TT might be able to complete some long passes out of the WC. We’re a lot more likely to be successful, given our current personnel, with ground & pound & a stout D than by throwing long Ints. Maybe we can save money on a punter by having MS throw long on 4th down :) Let’s hope our early picks will help our D. Until the front office is ready to admit that MS is not the elite/franchise QB we’re gonna need WC to help him score points.

16. By walt on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

let me put it this way this draft was a direct unmitigated insult to ninety percent of the jet fans.i do not know how to put it any other way.

17. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

He may be raw and need to adjust to “the true S position” in the pros, as the NFL scouting report says. But that report also says this about S Antonio Allen, and it’s all you need to know: “He can blanket-cover tight ends out of press which was his specialty at South Carolina.”

18. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

What I’m saying, scjoe, wayne, and Ed, is any HC and OC who can’t make an elite WR out of a guy who ran a 4.28 and almost broke Walker’s record for major-college avg/p catch should leave town, which is what Rex and Sparano might well do next yr if they can’t. No one’s gonna win any medals for reducing Hill to an 11-yd-p/catch guy like J-Co and Coles in the Favre yr. Besides, wherefore art the Jets “ground and pound,” to quote Shakespeare? We’ve done almost nothing to improve our OL, we have1 proven RB in Greene, we refuse to play McKnight at RB, and picking Ganaway shows we’re ready to cut Powell. The game is won by scoring pts, not bloviating about O philosophy, and NE, PIT, GB, NO, and the Giants don’t talk about O, they just play it!

19. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Another thing you “ground and pounders” forget — indeed, haven’t even acknowledged yet, and I keep telling Arte this — is that for all this talk of Sparano, running the ball, and the Wildcat, SPARANO’S THE GUY WHO GOT BRANDON MARSHALL 1,200 YDS AND A 15-YD AVG LAST YR WITH MATT MOORE THROWING TO HIM! In fact, Marshall had 1,000 yds both of his yrs with the Fish. When’s the last time a Jet WR had a 1,000 yds? — no, wait, don’t tell me, the answer’s too depressing. Sparano’s not saying all this stuff about vertical passing and getting chunks of yds for nothing. As is usually the case with Rex and his assistants, he needs his OC to school him. I said the day we got Sparano he was partly signed because he could easily step in as interim HC.

20. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, that can’t be right about Bush being ranked 80th. Are you sure it didn’t say 8th?

21. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Another thing about Hill and passing, guys: We just had a yr in which a tremendously skilled WR named Santonio Holmes had a meltdown because of our lousy passing game, The situation totally blew up in the last game of the yr. Now we draft a guy even faster than Holmes and much bigger, and he says he can’t wait to learn from the Super Bowl MVP. You’re tellin’ me now we’re gonna drive BOTH Holmes AND Hill crazy with lousy QB plays, awfully unimaginative play-calling, and Rex and his ground and pound drivel from the 1940s? I’m down on Rex but let’s not be ridiculous, a leopard that’s about to go 4-12 and get fired can definitely change his spots at least a little, even if it takes some hair dye to do it.

22. By joe on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

ED the problem is you absolutely positively can not win a SB TODAY WITH GROUND AND POUND.No defences out there is going to shut down MANNING BRADY ROTHESBURGER BREES ROGERS on a basis neccessary to win the sb.TODAY you MUST AVG 30 PLUS POINTS A GAMETO WIN IT ALL.(LOL 9 MINUTE GROUND AND POUND AINT GOING TO CUT IT WHEN Brady gets the ball back and scores in 4 plays.)Ne VERSES Denver last year is a prime example of this .Once TEBOW was behind by more than a td DENVER HAD NO CHANCE

23. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Hey guys, if we don’t wanna throw the ball we got a funny way of showing it, picking 2 WRs 2 yrs in a row, which tied for the most players we picked at any position along with DL last yr and S this yr. Has it occurred to any of you guys that for all Rex’s bloviating about ground and pound, he and Schotty really DID want Sanchez to step up last yr and throw more and better? It would be just like Rex, who alternates between strategic craftiness and clueless dishonesty, to not trust anybody with what he REALLY wants to do on O. But you don’t pick 4 WRs in 2 yrs if you’re not planning to throw, nor do you set up your alleged franchise QB for competition from the biggest phenomenon (if undeservedly so) in pro sports, so let’s get real here.

24. By joe on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

PS ED i totally agree with you as PERSONAL WISE we dont have the QB that can impliment the throwing systems that GB NE NO employ (REX E GAME )EVEN SAID AFTER THE GIANT GAME WERE NOT BUILT TO THROW IT 60X A GAME.Our best chance to win will come from ground and pound CAN WE WIN A SB THIS WAY I WOULD VENTURE TO SAY NO

25. By danny on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

I really like the Baylor RB pick and i like the safety Allen too. We had a great draft. All we need in free agency is a RT and Tanny said he will look to free agency after draft. Man I’m really excited and even more excited to see Tom64 praise the Hill pick. Nice to see the grumpy fan excited on here about a JETS PLAYER. Maybe this is gonna be a good yr fellas lets goooo J E T S Jets Jets Jets

26. By GaryC on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

jet fan tom, for once I agree, Hill could be the real deal,most of the picks I like and some I have no idea like most drafts, Allen the safety saw him in some games,believe he is more of an in the box guy but is a great tackler.If griffin can block for RG3 and ganaway sounds like he can do both,pass protect and run block,and remember the last pick,Jordan White,antonio brown also came out of the MAC conference and we know what he has done with steelers as a free agent pickup.All in all if this is Clinkscales swan song with the jets,he will go out with a curtain call.

27. By GaryC on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

this is what makes me laugh about the experts, todd mcshay after steelers took Ta’amu called it a steal even after he said his production tailed off this year,Coples stats tail off and they call him a bust even after he was rated to go in the top ten of draft.They like what the giants did taking wilson, even though the bucs jumped ahead of them to take Martin.so the giants were hoodwinked,yet they had a great draft. difference between steelers and giants when compared to jets at draft time.

28. By ive suffered for so long on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

what is the deal with patrick turner. why are we not giving him a shot

29. By GaryC on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

you look at Ganaway and the first thing that comes to your mind is Legarrate Blount,just hope is character is a little better.

30. By joe on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

ED many on these forums (USUALLY HIGH SCHOOL COACHES )dont understand in the NFL a coaches philosophy centers around the talent he has on hand (SHULA ran with GRIESE THREW WITH MARINO )If by some act of GOD an ELITE QB (say Drew Brees )FELL IN REXS LAP i guarantee you would never hear the term GROUND AND POUND AGAIN.As you posted we got to run it becauseb if he tries to throw to much it will result in turn overs galore

31. By GaryC on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Look,I told Ira early in the year that Nick Toon was no way going to be a first rounder and said he would be lucky to make the second round,he never had Al’s Talent and it is proven where he was picked.

32. By Jimmer on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

To sum up the draft, WHERE IS WAYNE HUNTERS REPLACEMENT?!!!!!!????
    We could have had a starting Safety, Starting RT, and a pass rusher from where we were at the time we SHOULD have picked.
    I think the guys we drafted will turn out to be viewed as a good draft, so I’m not ripping the front office. But getting a RT was such a glaring need. We also needed 2, not 1 ST. Sure, we drafted them, but when it was Mr. Irrelevant time. And still have no RT. AND, we would have had 2 more picks we gave up for getting a WR that wasn’t a glaring need. I guess they want MS in a wheelchair, then Tebow, then McElroy. Maybe the 3 of them combined can play 16 games with the protection they’re gonna get.

33. By 40 year fan on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Randy Lange – great writing once again , great hearing about Vinny giving something back to the youth ..

34. By Tom Spicer on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Jets coach Rex Ryan expects No. 43 overall pick WR Stephen Hill to start as a rookie.
    This is far from surprising after Jets VP of scouting Joey Clinkscales indirectly compared Hill to Calvin Johnson on Saturday. Hill has a rare size/speed combination (6-foot-4, 215 pounds, 4.36 Combine 40), but is extremely raw coming out of Georgia Tech’s triple-option offense, and has struggled with drops. If the Jets are lucky, he’ll make a Torrey Smith-like impact as a rookie.

35. By Jimmer on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

We should be able to trade with most teams for a 7th next year to get their 3rd B/A tackle. Just tossing it out there cause we have a total of “1” OT on the roster. Hunter is nothing more than a glorified TE. We’re going to end up begging Ryan Leaf to play QB for us come December. No QB that is sane wants to come here at this point. Chad Pennington would last what, 1 series behind this? As a smart former QB from Rutgers says,,,, the big fatties up front need to be good.

36. By Tom Spicer on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Jets selected South Carolina S Antonio Allen with the No. 242 overall pick in the 2012 NFL draft.
    A hard-hitting, in-the-box safety, Allen was expected to go much earlier, but was hurt by his 4.62 Combine 40 and history of concussions. He has tremendous upside, however, and thanks in part to his incredible length (32 1/2″ arms) is viewed as a “hybrid safety” capable of neutralizing the Rob Gronkowskis of the world. He has a strong chance of cracking the Week 1 roster of a team that’s been looking to overhaul its safety corps.

37. By scjoe on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

64, according to scouts.com Bush was rated #80 (eighty) in the safety class and had a 30 rating. Markelle Martin on the other hand, who was selected three picks later by the Titans was ranked #7 with a 70 rating. Martin ran a 4.45, Bush ran a 4.67, Martin was an all big 12 academic athlete, Bush has injury concerns. Which one of the two would you have gone with if you were the GM?

38. By scjoe on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Best case scenario in this draft, two starters, Coples hopefully! and Hill (maybe) You may see Davis in sure passing downs at best. The rest? Most will not even make the final cut. Where is the RT? If this was indeed a make or break year for Mr T. you will be broke my friend.

39. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

I’m not disagreeing with you about Bush, scjoe, I just can’t believe it wasn’t a misprint, especially because I read another article that said Bush was solidly in the Top 10 S guys. dannyp, if Rex can enter the 21st century of the NFL — and Sparano’s already more in it by way of how he used Marshall AS WELL AS the running game — I’ll get off Rex’s case a little. It’s ridiculous that, as another long-suffering Jet fan friend of mine (in Plainview), says, “Every team in the league has a high-flying offense — except the Jets.” I LOVE that several analysts said that Hill’s mere speed will open things up for Holmes and Keller, even before he hones his technique. All the other picks are at least okay, some better, so things went pretty good.

40. By To Joe on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

Unless you’re an NFL HC/OC/DC then you have no idea about NFL strategies. I’m pretty sure high school coaches also use the talent they are given in the best way possible. Brees played at Westlake, do you think they threw the ball? Shipley at Brownwood, you think they threw it? Benson at Midland Lee, guess what, they ran it. Don’t go knocking coaches, any coach knows the only way to win is to design your plan around what your kids/athletes are best at.

41. By Arte Olde School on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

The greatest addition to the 2012 New York Jets team is…?????????????????? Tony Soprano!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Watch our troubles disappear without Shotty.. Watch!!!!! This team is destined for great things…. PS New England wins the Super Bowl next year. What a draft!! ALL DEFENSE ADDRESSING NEEDS!! Scary good draft… Oh well… Go Green!! Maybe we can start off hot and ride high through the season only way to overcome this inconvenient truth is to win the division.. Got to beat the Pats.. Maybe our young studs take out Brady and we’ll win BOTH games! “You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only GREEN one!!!” J-E-T-S Jets Jets Yes! Love the excitement.. Sing now”Ding dong Shotty’s gone, Just like Woodson, Jets respond to TONY S.

42. By danny on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

U said it perfect ” To Joe” and 64 I seen that too about Allen covering TE’s and boyyy do we need that. I love how guys rip up the one’s we picked in 6th and 7th rd. If you watched the draft day 2 and most of the old NFL stars who were announcing the teams picks man so many were drafted in the 6th and 7th rd. If you think Mel Kiper and these scouts don’t make more mistakes on players then being dead on ur WRONG. I still remember Kiper saying when we drafted Revis that he didn’t have the speed to cover ELITE WR’s in the NFL and will probably move to safety hahahaha I like both our safetys picked and man if just one can turn out a good player we will be ok. I’ll start either one of slow E. Smith anyday

43. By scjoe on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

To Joe, enlighten me. Based on free agency and the draft what is the jets HC/OC/DC designing their strengths around? Is it the “ground and pound” they have been talking about all off season? If so, what have they done to strengthen it? I have seen nothing, zilch, nada, zero so far this off season. No quality RBs, and no “quality O lineman. Is it Sanchez accuracy throwing down field? I mean they signed a big fast WR in free agency and another big fast WR in the 2nd round of the draft. Last time I checked the deep pass is a major weakness of Sanchez. So forgive me if I am a little confused. By the way, I played the game and coached it at the youth level.

44. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, be serious, who’s gonna start over Hill? Schilens? Turner? They’re gonna put Hill out there even if they have to restrict him to a handful of deep routes and blocking roles, teams do that all the team when they wanna get a guy on the field ASAP given the gifts he has. As for Bush and Allen, if we can get a starter out of Slauson at #6, we can get a starter out of one of these guys. It’s not like the Jets don’t know by now that they need S’s who can cover TE’s and both of these guys show potential at that. I’m not saying these rookies are gonna take us to the SB, far from it. I’m saying like I’ve always said the nucleus of our team is young guys and if we get younger in 2013 with a new QB more new O and D guys, that’s fine with me.

45. By Thomas on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

While I had been an advocate of sanchez and his new deal, i came to a dreadful conclusion in the past few days: sanchez is the problem, not the solution. I had been scouring the jets roster for any possible reason to be concerned and just to gain a general idea of the jets talent this year. I realized that if Coples and Hill arent busts, and Davis is capable of replacing bart scott next year (not to mention a RT upgrade), then sanchez is the only one holding us back from greatness. I say we trade up to get Matt Barkley out of USC. Sanchez was a one year starter there, Barkley will be a four year starter showing tremendous improvement each year. Its unlikely, but u have to hope as a fan.

46. By joe on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

TO JOE CONSIDERING the fact that my old roommate HAPPENS TO BE THE HEAD FOOTBALL COACH AT THE UNIVERSITY OF MIAMI i goy a SLIGHT inclination about just how the system works LOL

47. By joe on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

SC Joe GREAT POINTS as nobody ever clarifys this .Another point no one ever clarifys is WERE SO DEDICATED TO THE GROUND AND POUND PHILOSOPHY WE TRIED LIKE CRAZY TO GET PAYTON MANNING IN HERE .

48. By joe on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

Danny every draft analyzer makes mistakes BUT MEL KIPER been doing this 30 plus years GETTING PAID MILLIONS OF DOLLARS PER YEAR FOR A REASON .HES CORRECT ALOT MORE TIMES THAN HES WRONG .THE NETWORKS dont just drag some guy in off the street ,pay him millions per year (to grade and analyze)for the heck of it.

49. By joe on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

TO JOE ps my moms cousin was as also the defencive cord of a FEW SUPER BOWL WINNING REDSKIN teams in the 90s .Coaches at the NFL LEVEL often do AND SAY things FOR ENTIRELY DIFFERENT REASONS THAN COACHES AT THE HIGH SCHOOL LEVEL.Many OF THEIR ACTIONS ARE POLITICAL and fans OFTEN WILL NEVER EVER GET A STRAIGHT ANSWER ONE WAY OR THE OTHER.

50. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

I remember Kiper’s huge mistake on Revis too, dannyp, so for all their inflated reps some of these guys don’t know jack — not like those of us who played the game, right? Which brings me to you, scjoe. By now all of us should know that, like joe says so often and so correctly, Rex would never mention ground and pound again if he had the right QB and WRs. Fact is, he didn’t even wanna mention it last yr but we didn’t get a backup C, Hunter had a bad yr, and Sanchez got more scared and less accurate. MS threw better long in his 1st 2 yrs than last yr so while I’ve always been skeptical of his arm strength, I’ll give him this yr. I woulda rather given him this yr without Tebow breathing down his neck but if TT throws better, fine, start him!

51. By steven on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

Get Michael Zweifel he’s the Div 3 Heisman

52. By steven on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

I hope Patrick Turner gets a shot

53. By scjoe on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

64, why not Schilens over Hill? Both are extremely close in size, weight,and speed. Hill has very little experience based on the offense he played in at GT. Schilens at least has a couple of camps and a couple of starts under his belt. Besides, why did they go out and sign him? Now, if you are talking about the political side of it, a 2nd round pick vs a FA, then say that. As for the 2 safety’s? We can debate this one for a few months, but we wont know anything until the middle or later part of the season. That is, of course if they even make the roster. Has the bar been set so low that “anything” other then Smith or Leonard is considered an upgrade?

54. By PIEMAN on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

NICE DRAFT , some very fine players with alot to bring to both sides of the ball.
    However without a right tackle and hunter + vlad = wrong tackle 500 is the next stop, end of discussion. Pray for a miracle …..

55. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, see the story ahead of this 1 for more from me on Hill/Schilens but it’s Hill over Schilens for a joke even without the politics because (1) Hill’s just become the fastest Jet in team history (2) Schilens can’t stay healthy. Did you really think Schilens was signed to start? He was signed because (1) Lal liked him (2) He came relatively cheap (3) He’s not gonna pull a Mason and become a problem, he’s happy just to be here. No, we won’t know anything about Bush and Allen for awhile but they’re fast, strong, young, and used to covering TE’s — everything that Smith and Leonhard ARE NOT! I wouldn’t be surprised to see them play Smith and Leonhard off the team in less than 2 yrs. THE JETS NEED TO PLAY THE GUYS THEY DRAFT! Always have…

56. By joe on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

Tom LOL REX tells half truths and or what he thinks WOODY AND THE FANS WANT TO HEAR.No way in the world will we ever get the truth about BRINGING TEBOW IN HERE OR GROUND and POUND ECT theres too much politics ,money involved ect.

57. By joe on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

PS JET FAN SINCE 64 TOM (as you have said )EITHER way it all comes to a head this year as ANOTHER 500 SEASON (esp )with the GIANTS being so good aint going to cut it for REX AND OR MIKE T

58. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on May 1, 2012 | Reply

That’s right, joe, anybody who worries more about the HC than the squad is in a bad way. As my dad used to say, “You need the horses” and those guys are found on the field, not on the sidelines throwing their headset to the ground in fury. If Rex doesn’t like his Jets headset, he can go back to coaching at grade-Z colleges while we get a real HC in here, one who knows all aspects of the game, devises a plan, and makes it work or adjusts when it doesn’t work. Oh yeah, and who understands that it’s not 1940 in the NFL anymore…

59. By scjoe on May 1, 2012 | Reply

64, yea, Hill is fast. So was Clowney and Allison. Chrebet on the other hand was not so fast. What does that say? Well, just go over Wayne’s career stats and it will tell you. This has very little to do with Hill though. It has more to do with what the Jets philosophy was and how the draft, and free agency as well, completely contradicted that philosophy. Both of these QBs have accuracy issues, yet one FA signing and one very high draft choice were spent on WRs. No O lineman to keep either QB upright, but yet 2 big fast WRs.

60. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on May 1, 2012 | Reply

Obviously we need more OL strength, scjoe, but the Jets couldn’t go on ignoring speed at all positions, much less WR, forever. Clowney became less important when we got Edwards, unimportant when we got Holmes, and never really got a chance here anyway. (Uh-oh, I can hear GaryC’s footsteps already!) Allison was getting some attention from Rex until he tore the ACL and by the time he came back we didn’t need him. The pt is, RIGHT NOW, with Holmes triple-covered and a starting QB who doesn’t throw accurately enough, there’s a crying need for the Jets to get in step with the modern NFL passing game, as every NFL analyst has said. The key to that is gonna be players like Hill, not players like Schilens.

61. By givemeglenn on May 1, 2012 | Reply

Just a quick hello from a GA Tech fan to congratulate the Jets on the draft of Stephen; you guys made a great selection. In case you didn’t know it, prior to the combine and his Pro-Day, Stephen was already working on his pro routes with former All-Pro Wide Receiver Terrence Mathis, and between all of Stephen’s “interviews,” he’s been back in Atlanta continuing his training with Calvin Johnson and Demaryous Thomas. Stephen, according to Mike Mayock, showed he could run the pro routes very well, and caught everything they threw him. This should tell you Stephen is willing to work hard and is able to learn quickly. I think Jets fans will be very happy having Stephen on the team.

62. By joe on May 1, 2012 | Reply

SC JOE great posts as you just said basically what every announcer on the NFL NETWORK SAID .Hill is not the worry here ITS THE NY JETS THATS THE WORRY (WE dont have the pedigree to develop guys like HIIL .Coaches ,offencive philosophy ,qb play ect could ruin the kid here. )

63. By GaryC on May 1, 2012 | Reply

Jetfantom, yes the footsteps are getting closer,that name again,clowney,well I know one thing,that name will be big again in two years when south carolina’s clowney comes out,if jets draft him that will be the clown that makes it,ha,ha.

64. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on May 1, 2012 | Reply

Thanks for the heads-up on Hill, givemeglenn, he looks like a terrific prospect. At least to those of us who understand that Johnson and Thomas are the kinds of WRs you need to win big these days, as none other than our crosstown rivals proved to us last yr with their awesome combo of Nicks and Cruz. I’d like to think that the moment of legendary Jet deep-threat WR Wesley Walker shaking hands with Hill after announcing the Jets’ #2pick of him will go down in NFL history as a literal passing of the torch — from the last outstanding WR of that kind that the Jets had to the next one.

65. By scjoe on May 2, 2012 | Reply

Joe, a lot of people here (and it looks like 64 jumped on this band wagon too) think that just because a guy comes out of school and he has great size and great speed as a WR that he will automatically start and produce big numbers. Well, I have been following the sport long enough to know that no matter where you select a guy like that, whether it be # 1 overall, or somewhere down the line, there are NO guarantees. Factor in we gave up 2 extra picks for this guy with all the other glaring needs on this roster. Senseless!

66. By joe on May 3, 2012 | Reply

Guys i truely believe a ton of responsibility for OVERALL RECIEVER PLAY and DEVELOPMENT comes down to the CALIBER OF THE QB THEY ARE PLAYING WITH .Tom Brady and Payton Manning in particular are KNOWN FOR TAKING THE RECIEVERS ON THEIR TEAMS TO ANOTHER LEVEL.(D Branch looks like a completely different player in NE than he did in Seattle.)Nobody can CONVINCE ME DKELLER and S HOLMES wouldnt be MUCH BETTER PLAYERS if the QB was a MANNING or a ROGERS .