• Sat., Nov. 01, 2014 3:00 PM - 3:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Sun., Nov. 02, 2014 11:30 AM - 11:50 AM EST Live Jets Talk LIVE: Pregame Get your most compreshensive game preview as Jets Insiders Eric Allen and Amanda Pflugrad are joined by Herbie Teope of Chiefs Digest in Kansas City. JTL kicks off at 11:30 a.m. from Arrowhead Stadium.
  • Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Tue., Nov. 04, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Extra Point – Only on SNY

• Wed., Nov. 05, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Extra Point – Only on SNY

• Thu., Nov. 06, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Fri., Nov. 07, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Sat., Nov. 08, 2014 10:00 PM - 10:30 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 10, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

Mike, Rex, Joey Put a Bow on Draft Weekend

Posted by Randy Lange on April 28, 2012 – 10:02 pm

Mike Tannenbaum, Rex Ryan and Joey Clinkscales came downstairs from the war room one final time this draft weekend to share their thoughts with the Jets reporters still holding their draft vigil in the media wing of the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center.

No one knows better than Mike T of the perils of any draft and how it may or may not work out. But as he summed up for reporters and fans alike: “I do like what we got accomplished.”

The Jets made five picks today since Mike and Joey (minus Rex, plus Terry Bradway) made their last appearance. They did talk about those third-day picks, but questions naturally still involved those three studs drafted in the first three rounds.

“I’m going to be excited to see what these guys,” Tannenbaum said, referring to Rex and his coaches, “do with Quinton [Coples] week in, week out. Stephen Hill, he gives us something we haven’t had in terms of size and speed. Demario Davis, what we liked about him was that he’s a little bit different than what we have. He has speed that Bart [Scott] and David [Harris} don’t have.”

Ryan fielded a question about Hill, the Georgia Tech wideout, being considered a starting WR from day one. Rex didn’t flinch, and his answer segued into an interesting discussion of what Coples’ presence now means for the defensive line.

“Do I think Stephen Hill will start? Yes, I do,” Ryan said. “I think anytime you draft a guy that high … I used to tell [Ravens GM] Ozzie Newsome the same thing: ‘How are the teammates going to look at it?’ Well, they proved in college that’s why you had them there [on the board]. You had a vision for those players. That’s why you took them.”

And Ryan added, with Coples, the North Carolina DE, that’s what you’re looking at, too, a new starter in the front line of defense. And yet it’s not quite as cut and dry as that.

“It doesn’t mean this player or that player’s not going to start. There’s so many different roles, so many things they can start on, sub team, things like that. They’re all going to play significantly.”

The Coples introduction into the D-line rotation, for example, could impact Mike DeVito. Ryan acknowledged that, yet certainly sees DeVito in very important roles ahead.

“I can tell you this about Mike DeVito — he’s an outstanding football player, no question about it,” the coach said. “Some guys come in as free agents and are real success stories. Mike’s one of those players. I know he’s a tremendous player. But to explain his exact role, I really don’t feel I can do that right now.”

It’s all about the packages.

“Sione [Pouha]‘s in the middle, Kenrick [Ellis] is in the middle and all that. We do have unusual depth right now,” Ryan said. “We really have it set up where we can do a lot of things with those fronts. Quinton Coples, he’s not going to play 70 snaps a game for us, but he’s definitely going to have a huge role in our defense.

“I remember Bill Walsh would take nine defensive linemen to games. I’m not saying we only need seven offensive linemen, but you want to have guys that are fresh to rush the quarterback, ideally in the fourth quarter. I think the more of these guys you get, the better it is for your team. We’re excited to have all these guys, excited to have the depth we have.”

Another thing that excites Ryan is the Demario Davis deal. He went through the measurables and then added some intangibles of the ILB from Arkansas State.

“He’s a gifted athlete without question. And he’s a very mature young man, a leader in their locker room. He’s got a great presence about him,” Ryan said. “He reminded me of a young Bart Scott when he came in. You see a lot of the same qualities that Bart possesses. I just think it’s going to be great, Bart as a mentor for this young man. I think it’s an ideal situation to come in to with him and David. Nick Bellore I thought was a tremendous pickup for us last year and he’s been outstanding this year in the weightroom. And Josh Mauga. We’re as deep as we’ve ever been there at the inside linebacker position.”

Tannenbaum summed up today’s picks with a few observations that will be elaborated on in the coming weeks as these players arrive for next weekend’s rookie minicamp, get integrated into the veteran core for the mid-June full-squad minicamp and training camp beyond:

S Josh Bush: “We feel good about Josh. He’s going to come in and compete.”

RB Terrance Ganaway: “We feel good about him and about Robert Griffin, who were Baylor teammates. He’s a bigger back and we were looking for something different from the rest of the depth chart.”

Griffin: “He had a great visit. Rex and Joey and I, we like him a lot.”

S Antonio Allen: “We were pleasantly surprised we could get him where we did. He was very productive at South Carolina, very versatile.”

WR Jordan White: “He’s a great kid and we think he can come in and not only play but help us on special teams.” White returned punts his last two seasons at Western Michigan.

Clinkscales wasn’t called on much at this newser until the end, when the Jets’ vice president of college scouting was asked if, now that the draft is over, he can clear up those rumors about him leaving for the Oakland Raiders to work under new GM Reggie McKenzie, his former Tennessee Vols teammate back in the Eighties.

“I expect to be here,” Clinkscales said. “My job is talent evaluator. I understand where the connection comes in. Reggie and I played high school ball and college ball together. I’ve known Reggie forever. But this is where I started and this is where I intend on being.”

Tags: , , , , , , ,

103 Responses to “Mike, Rex, Joey Put a Bow on Draft Weekend”

1. By Luis from Olathe KS on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Instead the New York Jets we should change the name to the New York Grinders Machine. Rex is a genius or a mad coach, he is looking to shred the the opponents defense, and ofense. I really like it!!!!!! TEBOW!!!!!!!

2. By scjoe on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

So, we got a bunch of guys who “you feel good about” and can come in and “compete” for ST rolls.That is just what every Jet fan wanted to hear. This draft needed to produce at least three starters. It will not do that.

3. By scjoe on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

The Jets had many needs going in to the off season, that is a given. If you had to pick out the one which was most glaring it would have to be RT hands down. Everybody agree? Yet it was not addressed in free agency and not addressed in the draft. That is almost comical.

4. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Best job Clinkscales has done in yrs, no doubt about that. Also nice to see the Jets talking about speed at all the positions that we’ve been very slow at the last few yrs. And if White returning punts means more WR time for Kerley, I’m all for that, too, just like I’d like to see McKnight develop into more of the Leon-style RB we wanted him to be instead of “just” a KR guy. (I put “just” in quotes because he led the league at KR, not an easy thing to do.) I guess we’re gonna address the OL further in FA but I’ll tell you another thing, you WON’T hear me yelling for Y Bell after we picked 2 S’s — just play ‘em and see what they can do, it can’t be that much worse than what we’ve had the last few yrs!

5. By MIKE on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

On the bright side of Coples, if he was eligible for 2011 draft he goes top 5 no question and no one questions his laziness or work ethic. I would’ve preferred a pass rusher at OLB cause our group of OLB must be the oldest in the league and least productive as far as sacks go. If Coples gets 10 sacks next year than know body questions him know more.

6. By Chrisgopher on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

I like this draft, but still need O-line and OLB. I like Hill. Tebow cost us an O-lineman hope it pans out. Coples or Ingram, that is what this draft will be determined by. Upshaw too, Balt trades out of the first round and still gets this guy.

7. By Charliejet on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

Rumor has it Jake Long days may be numbered on the Dolphins – left offensive tackle anybody?

8. By jim rossi on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

I think this was a GREAT draft. I believe you guys picked at least 4 pro bowlers. Great job!!

9. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

2 good pts from a longer Cimini piece, 1 tongue-in-cheek and one more serious: “9. Here’s a positive: The Jets didn’t draft anyone with major, off-the-field issues — at least none that we know of. 10. With Hill targeted for a significant role, there’s really no need to re-sign Braylon Edwards. With two new safeties, the Jets seem willing to move on from Jim Leonhard.” Yeah, they all seem to be okay guys. As for Edwards, I loved him but time marches on, he’s been injured, isn’t rehabbed yet, and now we have a bunch of young WRs to try out. And as I said many times starting in the early 2010 season, Leonhard was never big enough to start in this league and ultimately ended up not even big enough to take the pounding and stay on the field.

10. By joe on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

LOL CERTAINLY they are going to SAY THEY PICKED THE RIGHT GUYS (like they said we were going to win the SB LAST YEAR )Every year they say they picked the right guys The NET RESULT of all this talk is THE NFL NETWORK RATING US AS ONE OF THE WORST DRAFTING TEAMS IN FOOTBALL=ONLY 3 PRO BOWLERS DRAFTED ON THE ROOSTER .

11. By joe on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

pS A REX MIKE DEVITO may be a great guy and teammate but IF HE WAS SUCH AN OUTSTANDING FOOTBALL PLAYER HE WOULD BE IN THE PRO BOWL Rex talks nonsense to the point its insulting to the fans (HE THINKS WE ACTUALLY BELIEVE WHAT COMES OUT OF HIS MOUTH AT THIS POINT )

12. By Frank on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

At the end of the day what could have been a fantastic draft by selecting Decastro and Massie with the first 3 picks and adding any number of players including Zach Brown in round 2 who is the ooutside speed guy and sideline to sideline OLB… we could have kept our 4th ad 5th rounder and added even more players. Those 3 picks would have put the Jets at the top of the list this year.
    Look at what all the consistantly great teams did…the Steelers, Pats, Eagles and so on they all had great drafts picking solid football players. We had so many problems with our O-line last year we could have made that a strength again and we blew it. Championships are won on the line of scrimmage all good GMs and teams know this. This draft stunk!!!

13. By Frank on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

The idea that some how Hill is gonna make Sanchize-not a better QB is laughable. He is the worst QB in the NFL throwing downfield remember Edwards two years ago he was wide open constantly and Sanchize-Not either missed the read, threw wide or short by 10 yards. I can see Hill know having to stop and wait for the ball to show up. Tebow is much better throwing deep than Sanchize-Not and I think he will be starting by week 5.

14. By Westcoast GangGreen on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

Jet Nation another draft come and gone. Now, comes the time what these young men have inside. Each level of football from High School to collage and now the pro’s gets tougher and faster. I like what Jets did, they filled alot of needs, especially the speed & size part that what lacking in alot of areas. But, the “KEY” is our coaching, the Jets have alot of new ones. Hopefully these new coaches do a better job in developing and getting the younger guys up NFL ready quicker than the last coaches that are gone. So we Jet fans can enjoy watching these draftees become productive year after year like alot of other elite franchises “Pitt” ect .. Time is now Rex to get to the next level, TIME IS NOW !! Go J-E-T-S

15. By GaryC on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

look,if you want to knock a team look what the browns did,trading 3 picks to move up for richardson who would have been there anyway and selecting Weedon a 29 year old qb.I could imagaine what jet fans would be saying then.the giants draft a guy who failed drug test in third round,did not hear that on the draft coverage, giant shills no doubt.the jets did damn good with this draft,Speed,character,basically all needs were touched on,you can’t fill every need and some of the college free agents had good write ups before draft like Steed from Furman, Like I said, the tackle spot will be addressed, unless tanny feels good about Schladeraff and Austin Howard.

16. By GaryC on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

chandler jones all of a sudden is Deacon Jones, and Coples is the second coming of Vernon Gholston,laughable.The giants panic after Martin is picked by Bucs and reach for David Wilson,a back who is fumble prone,but needs to take the place of brandon jacobs.maybe chandler jones becomes another Mike Faurot who the jets drafted and became a bust. the worst saying I can hear every year during draft time is the rich get richer even though the draft experts have no idea.

17. By joe on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

Just watched a DRAFT GRADE ANALYSIS SHOW WE GRADED A B MINUS (LOL IF TRUE WOULD BE THE DRAFT OF THE CENTURY FOR US )Of course THE TOP DRAFT IN THE LEAGUE WAS PITTS (A PLUS OFF THE CHARTS )WITH NE A CLOSE SECOND

18. By joe on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

ps MEL KIPER got gave us a C .Most draft guys our saying our first and second rounders actual on field play in no way matches their physical numbers CAPABILITY .Sounds like the RADERS TO ME.

19. By russ on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

If Quinton is a bust so is Ryan..this is on him and only him..

20. By ratid on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

I hope these guys work out, but I don’t want to hear Rexxy putting them in the HOF

21. By wayne on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

No body knows what these guys are going to do until the bell rings……The Steelers picked DeCastro so that probably means he’s going to be good, but the Jets needed to address their defense first. More than one of those games last year would have been wins had they been able to get a stop…..Even with inept offensive play. Obviously they’re going to address the OL in FA. We hope…….speed and power is good enough for me for now, thank you.

22. By danny on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

Joe not every good football player is a Pro Bowl Player. Mike Devito is a damn good football player and is great against the run. No he is not a Pro bowl player but to say he is not a good NFL D lineman cause he is not a pro bowl player is ludicrious. He is a solid football player and pure run stopper. Joe64 how can u day we didn’t come away with 3 starters without the season starting ?? I think we may have 3 or possibly 4 starters eventually out of this draft. The negativity goes on and on no matter what on this site haha

23. By IRA on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

On paper there is a lot of potential here with the draft they had. I will say 2-7 they get a B for now. They clearly will address any other needs with veteran free agenst between today and August. What Vinny T said in the papers today is good enough for me. Who better to know than a guy who played in the NFL for so many years and threw to so many different WR’s. Hill is going to be a stud for sure. Davis and Bush look like they will contribute this year along with Ganaway. Coples we will have to wait and see how they use him and if he wants to give 100% or not. Only time will tell.
    GO JETS!!!!

24. By danny on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

Sorry I meant Scjoe not Joe64. I’m glad to see Tom64 being positive about this draft because he knows we had a pretty good draft this yr and I think he will be really happy if we pick up a solid vet RT. I will be very happy tooo 64 cause I sure don’t wanna see Wayne Hunter trot out there week 1 ever again haha and I agree both of our drafted safetys can not do worse then Eric Smith last yr I don’t think it’s possible to do worse

25. By scjoe on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

Well, it was good to see Kiper had a few teams rated lower then the Jets re: the draft grades. Say what you want about Kiper (and I am sure some will) but he knows talent and he knows the needs of all the teams. The fact he has the Jets rated 27 out of 32 is telling. Some of you talk about the two 6th round safety’s as starters. Don’t rush to judgement on that just yet, lets see if they even make the final cut. That is not a given for 6th round picks these days. But in all fairness I will say that a couple of the un drafted FAs look more appealing to me then those late round picks.

26. By jetfanoverseas on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

No one can know for sure how things will pan out. But considering the track record of our FO (yes, despite our pessimistic Jet fans, they were actually rated second best drafters in the league in one analysis last week), and the seemingly reasonable tradeoff of risk vs potential, I am very high on this draft. Most importantly, we had a uniform drafting plan. What were our two biggest problems last year? A) Too slow on offense and defense, B) Character problems leading to lackadaisical play and ultimate team collapse. So we added speed across the board, and nearly every draftee seems to be of high character. Finally, we managed to fill many key needs despite sticking to BPA rule, which is why we did not draft OL once the top guys were gone.

27. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

Good pt about DeVito, joe, that’s what I mean about Rex’s hype machine. Frank, I don’t care if Mr T, Rex, Sanchez, and Tebow are all gone in a yr or 2 and it’s McElroy or Barkley or someone else throwing to him, the crying need for deep threat impact on this team for decades takes precedence over them ALL! scjoe, we obviously need another OL starter and if it’s Long, Charliejet, that would be fine. But I think you have a definite starter in Hill — it would be insane NOT to start him given what we lack at WR — a likely one in Coples, and there’s a good chance either Bush or Allen becomes a starter during the yr. For the Jets, that’s a good draft. Frank, Massie fell farther than almost anybody, there’s something about him teams didn’t like.

28. By Christian on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

it seems like there are a ot of people here that feel like we should have addressed pass rusher and tackle this offseason. however, at pass rusher we have Aaron Maybin a former 1st rounder, who is about to have his first Jets training camp. at tackle we have Vladimir Ducasse who will (hopefully) improve in his 2nd trainig camp.

29. By GaryC on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

I’ll give you this jetfantom, one year of Burress and Mason led us to go for Stephen Hill,so maybe Burress will be our most valuable pickup from last year.

30. By joe on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

DANNY READ =REX SAID DEVITO WAS AN OUTSTANDING PLAYER NOT GOOD OUTSTANDING .No body cares or grades drafts PREDICATED UPON HOW MANY STARTERS WE GOT as were a 500 team because our players are not good enough .DRAFTS ARE GRADED AS TO HOW MANY PRO BOWLERS WE GOT

31. By MIKE on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

Knowbody should compare Vernon Gholston to Quinton Coples other than the possibility of a bust. Lets face it, all 1st round picks have high bust potential and most do not live up to here hype. Wilkerson is not gonna be the next Richard Seymour and Wilson ain’t primetime but both played well and will be solid players at there positions. Lets just hope for that. Coples will play DE in a 3-4 which is the most unflashy thankless positions in football. His season will not be measured on sacks or tackles but disruption and pushing the pocket. If David Harris can find the RB at the line of scrimmage than those front 3 have done there job.

32. By joe on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

You see DANNY SUPER BOWL QUALITY TEAMS STEELERS 8 PATS 9 Giants 6 PACK 8 HAVE 2-3 TIMES THE AMOUNT OF ALL STAR PLAYERS THAN WE DO THATS WHY THEY ACTUALLY WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS AND WE TALK ABOUT WINNING THEM EVERY year they draft PRO BOWLERS and we definately dont.

33. By IRA on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

Sorry Mayock has passed Kiper its not even close. DeVito is a real good player for the Jets and he will give Coples a run for his money for the starting position. Interesting list of UFA’s signed today. I always enjoy watching them practice in camp. You never know when you find a diamond in the ruff.
    Frank,
    Yeah i would’ve taken DeCastro but it is what it is. Besides him the OL class was not that great. Too many OT’s fell and that should tell you something. They will be fine at RT whoever starts the year vs the Bills. Chances are that player is not on the roster right now. Want to see what Howard can do this summer.

34. By GaryC on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

guys who wanted the jets to take a tackle in the later rounds,what did you want another Jacob Bender or Mike Haight.

35. By joe on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

Tom Jet Fan since 64 REX I THINK WERE ALL AT THE POINT at which nobody believes ANYTHING THAT COMES OUT OF REXS MOUTH (except DANNY LOL ) Every year REXS BRAGS about HAVING THE BEST PLAYERS IN FOOTBALL the problem is THE RECORD STATES we really dont have anywhere near the best players in football- WERE NOTHING BUT A 500 TEAM WHO LOST TO EVERY TEAM IT FACED WITH A WINNING RECORD LAST YEAR .The record also states were one of THE ABSOLUTE WORST DRAFTING TEAMS IN THE NFL AS every playoff team FROM LAST YEAR HAVE DRAFTED 2-3 X THE AMOUNT OF PRO BOWLERS THAN WE HAVE

36. By danny on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

The Pats could draft a Division 3 player and Kiper would say it was genius haha

37. By joe on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

SC JOE Yes Kiper gave us a C MINUS (lol which for the JETS is outstanding )Once again i always try to compare us to the Nfl ELITE .Kiper and every other announcer SAY THE Steeler could come out of this draft with 3 PRO BOWLERS .Kiper was critical OF OUR PICKS BECAUSE their actual production didnt match their physical numbers our second round pick for example with all his physical numbers only caught something like 35 balls his entire college carear.

38. By hector on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

some of you guys make me laugh man, this was a great draft year. coples if a force at 6’6 he can not only push back the pocket he can bat down balls, which can cause tip drills and interceptions. Not to mention rex is putting him in the same position that got him 10.5 sacks in 2010. Hill is a monster he can stretch the field run after the catch and most importantly run block. Plus he’s 6’4 so he can catch the back shoulder passes which makes him a redzone threat. Demario is a fast and strong OLB who will not only be great against the run but his speed can assure those quick tightends dont get open so fast. Love the ganaway pick up hes a power back who never gets caught from behind cause of his speed.

39. By joe on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

PS SC JOE LETS PUT THE 35 BALLS INTO PERSPECTIVE .In the early 90s Penn State was a run first team that produced A TON OF NFL PLAYERS. They had an ALL AMERICAN WR that went early in the named OJ McDUFFIE.OJ caught something like 125 balls in college and PENN STATE really didnt throw alot back then Mcduffie paired with Marino at MIAMI and became a pro bowler.I realize you cant teach size and speed but 35 balls your entire college career ?

40. By hector on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

needs to learn to catch better but thats not hard. like both safetys one is built to cover one can attack the runner and the runner and the qb. Griffin is a great OL men he can block for the pass and the run and hes use to have a scrambling QB and white wow i cant believe this guy was in the 7th round he is incredible in the slot. Look lets not forget there was not training camp for rookies and men taking bigger role last season so lets give these guys some credit i truely believe that hunter will do better this year he is athletic and he will do better he had flashes of greatness. And as for sanchez I believe is going to have his best year this year now hes got all the weapons he needs. Good luck Jets I’ll bleed the green for life.

41. By Jimmer on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

This WR JW in the 7th looks like an absolute keeper from his stats. You just don’t keep growing numbers to ridiculus proportions and not be drafted until 7th rd comp picks. I recall Chrebet wasn’t even drafted. This kid might be that oddity that happens every yr.
    We did finally find a player that can cover a TE, but can he cover NFL TE’s as well?
    I’m fine with the players we took. But WH is still our starting RT!
    Forget the idiots that gave our draft low ratings. Ignore the folks here that say we can’t draft as well. These are the same people that thought Revis, Harris and Mangold were reaches.

42. By FL.PETE on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

BEST Draft ive seen as a Jet Fan… The Jets got better in terms of their team philosophy… This team finally has the make up of the Team Rex wanted from the begining… And for all the Cople haters, 10 sacks in 10 and 7.5 in 11 is darn good for a 290lb bust in my eyes… Jet Fan since 64 its GREAT to see you have a positive about the draft, now i know this will be a successful season.. I even LOVE the FA selections, GREAT JOB EVERYBODY!!!

43. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

dannyp, as David Crosby so famously sang on his Neil Young-soundalike, 8-minute country-rock song, “I’m CRAZY but I AIN’T REAL GONE!” I can’t agree with anyone who doesn’t like this draft. First of all, just the fact that we had so many picks is a big step forward. Second, the D players we picked are not just the kind we need but the kind Rex oughta be able to coach up. Third, if Hill has any kinda good rookie yr it’s gonna be hard for D’s to cover him, Holmes, Kerley, and Keller, and there’s NO WAY Woody, Mr T, or even Rex will tolerate a QB who can’t get the ball to a receiving corps like that. And while I know what you mean about 6th rounders, scjoe, the Jets must see something in Bush and Allen to pick them back-to-back like that.

44. By jetsfan80 on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

I am pleased our Jets were able get Stephen Hill in round 2, a much-needed speedy WR and I really think we got a steal with Antonio Allen that late in the draft! I am still concerned about the OL and I hope Tanny and Rex are right about Thomas coming back strong to fill our need at OLB. Looking at the highlights (no lowlights available, haha), Demario Davis looks like a fast guy and a hard-hitter. He may steal a good piece of Bart Scott’s playing time this year. Overall, I give ‘em a C. I felt like we passed on some talent at OL and OLB that we really needed, but only time will tell. Maybe we got a sleeper or two late in the draft. Who’da thunk Brady – Rd 6, Montana – Rd 3. They turned out ok I think. J E T S…

45. By scjoe on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

jetfanoverseas, are we talking about the same team and the same draft? Because our two biggest needs were O line, specifically RT and both the SS and FS. You say we didn’t address O Line because all the top picks were gone. What about Reif and Decastro in rd 1? What about Martin and Glenn in rd 2? What about Massie in rd 3? We got none of the above. As for the safety’s? Unless you think that either the 6th or 7th rd picks will start (I don’t) that wasn’t addressed either. The WR position? 2nd rd pick Hill is a big tall target with great speed, so is Schilens who was signed as a FA. Where is the logic there? I don’t enjoy being “pessimistic” but look closer at this draft.

46. By scjoe on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

Lets put Kiper aside for a minute. Take a look at CNNSI draft grades. They have only three teams Oak, Seattle, and N.O. (who had NO 1st or 2nd rd picks) rated lower then the Jets. See the pattern here? It isn’t a question of being negative or pessimistic. It is what it is!

47. By scjoe on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

In retrospect, this is how it should have looked without the Tebow trade and the trade up for Hill.
    1 Coples (DE)
    2 Curry (OLB)
    3 Miller (RB)
    4 Massie (OT)
    5 Iloka (S)
    6 Martin (S)
    6 (Comp) Griffin (OG)
    6 (Comp) Winn (DT)
    7-Dennard (DB)
    7 (Comp) Allen (S)
    7 (Comp) Baker (RB)
    Practical, logical, and all needs met, including big time upgrade at RB

48. By westcoastJET28 on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

Here is a list of undrafted free agents we signed:

Furman CB Ryan Steed
    Montana K Brody McKnight
    North Alabama ILB Marcus Dowtin
    Iowa State DT Stephen Ruempolhamer
    UMaine RB Pushaun Brown
    University of Virginia WR Kris Burd

49. By westcoastJET28 on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

The only problem I have with this draft was the lack of a 4th & a 5th. We could have picked up two quality linemen for our needs at OT & OG. We need to get help from a FA. I do not feel confident about a Vlad vs Hunter battle for the starting RT spot. Pashos, Carey & McKenzie are still available. I’m content everywhere else, even S, I think we picked up some good talent.

50. By MIKE on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

Ground and pound may be getting old for the passes happy NFL but, last time I checked stud franchise QB’s don’t come along very often. Bree’s Brady, Rivers, E. Manning, P. Manning, and maybe big Ben that’s it. There are 20 some odd teams looking for the next Manning and until we find one than ground and pound is fine by me. After last year it is clear MS is never gonna be in that category so I wouldn’t worry about stunting his growth. If TT gets 20 snaps a game and MS 20 snaps and Jets win , than who cares.

51. By stupidheimer on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

Sanchez is going to be a beast this year now that Schottenheimer is gone. No QB ever did good with him as OC. Pennington did ok because his skill set totally matched schotty’s stupid game plans. We haven’t had a good QB or WR since Schotty has been our OC. Is that a coincidence?

It’s laughable that people that read a little blurb about these college players on nfl website think they know more than people who have been watching and studying them for months if not years. Let’s see what happens. The draft is a gamble. Every team has busts and gems. I like what we did in the draft. Coples is a great player from what I have seen. Everyone acts like he did nothing his senior year because he went from 10 sacks to 7.5?

52. By russ on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

TE Cumberland will be player to watch also linebacker german will be great addition fm deelopment sqad..

53. By jim rossi on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

What a draft!!! The D-line is going to crush every Offense in the NFL. The running game is going to beat the will out of the opposition and the passing game is going to carve up defenses. You guys drafted at least 4 pro-bowlers!!! KICK THE TIRES AND LIGHT THE FIRES……GO JETS!!!!!

54. By jim rossi on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

Warning: the surgeon general has determined that playing against the NY JETS is hazardous to your health.

55. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

joe, Rex’s talking annoys me but this yr he has to produce, so maybe it’ll stop. And I disagree with Kiper and the draft “experts” who criticize the Jets for the alleged low production of our picks. I’ve been watching the draft since the AFL and NFL had about 20 picks per league and though I like 4-yr-starters at some positions like QB that’s not the only factor. Drafting is also about finding guys with potential and coaching is about helping them realize it. Coples, Hill, Davis, and Ganaday in particular are players whose potential is THRU THE ROOF! As for experts, Lombardi listed Davis as one of his Top 12 value picks. FL PETE, I can’t blame Mr T and Rex for rolling the dice a little, their jobs are on the line, so I think they did well.

56. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

P.S. to dannyp, the Crosby song is “Cowboy Movie,” check it out on his 1971 solo album IF ONLY I COULD REMEMBER MY NAME, great groove and vocal. Ira, I’m with you about the OT’s, so many of them dropped very far that it might be better that we didn’t pick one high. scjoe, I get your concerns but for you to say we shoulda picked a RB instead of HIll is very curious to me. You can get a decent RB off anybody’s waiver lists and sorry, MIKE, teams that don’t have elite QBs and go for ground and pound are losers waiting for the next draft’s QBs. Sanchez going backward and the OL were problems last yr but there’s no denying the lack of speed and the constant doubling of Holmes was another big problem. Hill will take care of that in about 3 games!

57. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, stop with Schilens. I’ve seen just about every game the dude’s played on OAK and while he has flashes off greatness when healthy he’s a #3/#4 guy and will be so with us. You realize that we picked up Turner for nothing and may well cut him this yr if he doesn’t really shine at Cortland, right? You’re very likely to have Holmes and Hill starting with Kerley in the slot, Schilens coming in for Hill at times, and Turner, White, and all those other guys fighting it out to make the squad and no, 4.7-in-the-40 Bobby McKnight will NOT make it! If White returns punts instead of Kerley that favors him to make it, so I don’t see what the big deal is. Besides, Greene, McKnight, and Ganaday sound fine to me at RB, YOU GOTTA PLAY YOUR YOUNG GUYS!

58. By Allan O'Dane on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

If Rex ryan really had trust in GQ or even TT….why run “Ground and Pound”?..what you are saying is that you don’t trust your QB to make throws…to put the team on his shoulders and go and win the game. This is what you are truly saying: Give the ball to the backs…eat up clock…have my QB “manage” the game go 12-15 no INTS throw for 150 yds a game. In this draft NYJ did not address the O-line. ( Look at Steelers..Decastro & Adams )
    We got are question marks in Coples and Hill. At this stage question marks are not good enough! Look at NE ( Jones & Hightower ) now that’s defense. To me..Tampa was king…S/M.Barron – RB/D.Martin – LB/L.David…Our draft this year looks like a C+. And I hope I am wrong about Coples and Hill…

59. By scjoe on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

Joe, OJ McDuffie had a guy named Marino throwing the ball to him. “I” could have had 135 receptions playing with him, LOL

60. By scjoe on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

I should make one correction to my “world class draft” I posted above. I had Baker (RB) for the last comp pick in the 7th round. I should have put Vontaz Burfict there instead. Not much to lose at that point considering how many 7th rounders actually make teams these days. So, with that said, and assuming Rex can get this kids head right, look at the possible lineup at LB we “could have had” Curry and Mabin at OLB and Harris and Burfict at ILB. Add Wilkerson and Coples at DE and that looks pretty nice to me.

61. By Karan on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

I definetly agree with you stupidheimer.

62. By Frank on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

64…You can bet your bag of donuts Leonhard will be beack with the Jets as soon as he is healthy. Secondly, Teeeeeeeeeeeebooooooowwwww Whoooooooooaaaaaaaa! was voted by his peers into the NFL’s top 100 and Sanchize-Not is not even in the conversation.
    Sooooooooooo you have to think they drafted Hill so Tebow has someone to throw to since Sanchize-Not can’t get the ball down field.
    Say tuned!!!!!!!!!!

63. By scjoe on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

Ira, the best shot they have at RT to start the season has to be Vernon Carey.Hopefully either Howard or Landolt can develop enough during the season that they can step up.But on day 1 vs Buffalo it has to be Carey, and I think it will be.

64. By GaryC on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

I believe the terminator might be terminated,cannot see where he fits in now,Ganaway is more elusive,just as big,jets will only have one spot left with Tomlinson gone,and the other backs can do more things,I guess they can always put Tebow in as a blocking fullback,ha,ha.with Hill and Shillens,along with Cumberland,Keller,Kerley and Holmes as opposed to last year with Burress and Mason,the jet offense might look like a Pinball game for once.Sanchez will finally get the players downfield instead of timing them with an hourglass.did I mention any names.

65. By GaryC on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

If the steelers draft was so great why didn’t they draft a corner until the seventh round especially after tebow picked them apart last year,mike adams,second rounder failed a drug test also,notice how teams like giants and steelers can pick guys with issues and still get high grades,now I read in the paper that the jets were going after Irvin until Seatlle grabbed him,do you really believe the jets with all their locker room problems last year were thinking about drafting a real time bomb in this guy Irvin,Like I stated a couple of days ago,this is the year to rag on the jets.

66. By GaryC on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

I’ll go one better than that,jetfantom, remember when the players were signed right after the senior bowl,right on the field before the merger,and also in the early 70’s when you listened for who the jets picked on WINS radio.

67. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

Tebow didn’t exactly pick the Steelers apart, GaryC, and it was a Steelers with 5 starters out going into the game. joe, you’ve got it all wrong about Hill. First of all, he caught 49 passes in college. Second, he caught 28 last yr on a team that only completed, what, 64? It’s a question of what kind of WR we need. I was against Floyd as soon as I heard how SLOW he is, and even the draft guys re-emphasized that pt when he was picked. So the Jets were wise to pass on him as he wouldn’t have helped out with Holmes. Hill, on the other hand, will change the dynamic on passing which will change Rex’s thinking on passing. For Rex to say Hill will start is EXACTLY like him saying last yr “we’ll air it out more this yr,” only THIS yr it might work.

68. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, Rex loves blockers and Conner has had flashes running the ball so I think he’ll make it. It’s probably Powell who’s gone with us keeping Greene, McKnight, Conner, and Ganaday. If we actually play those 4 guys and don’t look to pick up some over-the-hill RB, THIS IS A GOOD THING! For all Rex’s talk about ground and pound, he’s been curiously nervous about actually playing the RBs he loves to pick. Well, it’s time for him to put up or shut up and I don’t wanna hear this stuff about how McKnight can’t do it, no one can do anything on 2 carries a game while also having to return kicks, line up at WR (that’s over), blitz at DB, etc. Rex needs to be less cautious and stop pulling guys like Wilson when they don’t play like Revis overnight.

69. By joe on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

SC JOE i was referring to at PENN STATE he (MCDUFFIE ) caught 125 balls FOR HIS CAREER THERE .

70. By joe on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

Gary WHEN TEBOW picked PITTS APART they played without Hampton ,Clark, Smith Woodley and Farrior on defence as they were hurt .Rothesburger could barely stand and MENDENHALL was also out.Adams was a definate first rounder untill he failed the drug test.The reason PITTS AND the THE GIANTS can get away with picks like this and we cant is simple 10 LOMBARDIS AND 13 CONFRENCE CHAMPIONSHIPS approx 23 div titles in the SB ERA (to our 1 sb 1 div title ).When you win thats all that matters

71. By joe on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

JET FAN SINCE 64 TOM your going to love this THE NFL NETWORK analysists JUST SAID WORD FOR WORD WHAT YOU POSTED DAYS AGO ABOUT HILL .They like HILL a lot for his potential for a team like Giants Steelers ect (BASICALLY DEVELOP OVER TIME )On the JETS however this could be a disaster because OF QUARTERBACKING and COACHING INABILITY to develop a passing game )The kid is no where near ready to start and their afraid the JETS will ruin him by throwing him in there without the proper support.

72. By scjoe on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

64, let me see if I am understanding you correctly. You say that Schilens is a # 3 or 4 at best, (even given the fact where he played and who he played with) but Hill on the other hand who is right out of school and having played for a team where the forward pass was almost unheard of, is a starter? Do I have that right? So they went out and signed Schilens in free agency, and bragged about his size, speed and his upside, to be a # 3 or 4 at best? That makes about as much sense as having 2 QBs, either of which can throw the deep ball accurately, THEN, going out and sign 2 big super fast WRs. What am I missing here?

73. By scjoe on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

Alan O’ I am not even sure what to think about that “ground and pound” we heard so much about since Sparano came over, will it even exist? I have seen nothing in this off season to prove that it will. What I did see was the signings of 2 (TWO) big, fast, super fast WRs, one in the 2nd round and one in free agency (where no other needs were addressed) how does that fit in to the G&P? Maybe I am wrong, but I thought if you are going to run a G&P you should go out and get at least one elite RB, at least one road grading OG and at least something that resembles a starter at RT. I saw none of the above. What a head scratcher!

74. By joe on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

ps GARY a buddy of mine owns a Steeler bar and i got to tell you that organization is the 180 degree polar opposite from us in every way. Dead stable FROM TOP TO BOTTOM.Absolutely no drama .Absolutely no idle bragging boasting ect.Every body buys into the STEELER PHILOSOPHY that they are there to do nothing but win the SB ANYTHING LESS IS CONSIDERED A LOSING SEASON.They never sign top dollar VETERAN FA and RELOAD IN THE DRAFT .WE cant draft first round pro bowlers the STEELERS get ROOKIE FREE AGENTS that turn into HALL OF FAMERS (JAMES HARRISON )and other rookies from the 3rd to 5th round that become pro bowlers (MIKE WALLACE ANTONIO BROWN )The kid from OHIO STATE contract was back end guaranteed =TEST POS AGAIN YOU LOSE YOUR BONUS.

75. By joe on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

ALLAN REX TRUSTS- BELIEVES ECT in his quarterbacks and GROUND AND POUND PHILOSOPHY SO MUCH he practically begged PAYTON MANNING TO COME HERE.(Actions always speak lounder than words )As fans we really cant believe a word that comes out of REXS MOUTH Its almost disrespectful to a point

76. By joe on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

PS ALLAN you dead correct about him(REX ) not trusting the qb TO THROW.Sanchez throwing the ball results in turnovers.Rex is caught in a bad spot because he traded up to draft him.(HE CANT TELL THE TRUTHZ ABOUT TRUSTING SANCHE SO HE COMES UP WITH NONSENCE ABOUT GROUND AND POUND )LOL if PAYTON

77. By joe on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

LOL if PAYTON did come here WE WOULD NEVER EVER HEAR THE TERM GROUND AND POUND AGAIN.

78. By joe on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

MIKE) TOM JET FAN SINCE 64 could not be more correct about THE ELITE QB SEBERIO IN THE NFL (the only reason to play the season without one is to get it over so you can possibly draft one)Look no further than the SF 49ERS .They had a great record LAST YEAR WITH A GAME MANAGER AT QB .They also REALIZED they could never win the SB with him so THE VERY FIRST THING THEY DID IN FREE AGENCY WAS TO TRT TO GET PAYTON.

79. By Frank from NY on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

The Jets had one of the most solid off seasons I can remember in years, now before you flame me stop being ignorant and just listen. Sanchez is the starter, but we now have a viable back up in Tebow who can make plays running the option, and if HIll is on the field teams wont play 8 in the box, so Tebow will have one guy to beat for a nice gain. As far as RT we have been developing Duccasse, say what you want but he came from a small D2 school, we all knew he was going to need a few years to develop, hopefully now he is ready if not then we have seen wayne hunter play good ball, remember the playoffs against the steelers? As for OLB davis is a rush specialist, and Coples can be a huge upgrade over Devito if he plays to his potential.

80. By Frank from NY on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

Now for the people hating on Sanchez, he has 11 4th quarter comeback wins already in his young career, and it was bad play calling and inconsistencies on all parts of the offense last year that kept any of them from having a good season. Stephen hill will open up a lot of things for the offense, just his presence on the field will require teams to play a safety over the top, which will open up the run game greatly. The jets finally look like they have depth everywhere except for safety, but if we bring leonhard back our defense looks better than it has since rex ryan got here. IMO the biggest piece of our defense will be Maybin, is he able to build off of his six sacks in limited play last year? Maybe he can step in and start

81. By GaryC on May 1, 2012 | Reply

joe, no argument about the success of the steelers,antonio brown wasn’t even a pick,he was a free agent college guy which I stated previously and yes they have only had three head coaches since 1969 in noll,cowher and tomlin and maybe the jets can strive for that,consistency.of course winning super bowls gives you leeway when the draft comes but I just find it funny,depending on what team drafts what player says that player will make it or not.

82. By Allan O'Dane on May 1, 2012 | Reply

Joe, I am no expert..by no means…But..I have played this game since I was 7 years old up until college level. And the formula has always been the same. Beef up your O-line to protect the QB so he can do his job….THROW THE BALL…Beef up your O-line for your RB so he can HIT THE HOLE…..The only reason why they got that rugby player was so he can block and help out the RT. That’s the TRUTH!…If you want to run this system you go out and get players for the O-line first…Decastro would have been a perfect fit..and we would all agree with that pick in the first round. This kid is a mauler..imagine him playing along side slauson? So I guess we will have to see if Vlad D. or Wayne hunter can pave the way for “ground & pound”. LOL

83. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on May 1, 2012 | Reply

Among the things you’re missing, scjoe, is that Schilens was a #3/#4 guy on OAK because he was a #7 pick and couldn’t beat out Heyward-Bay, a Top Ten pick, Murphy, a #4, and Moore, another #4. So to think the Jets are gonna develop him instead of Hill, or that Schilens and his injury issue are even worth investing all that much in, is silly. joe, if I was to worry about every WR that Sanchez and Tebow could ruin, Schilens would be the ONLY caliber WR we’d EVER pick up. What you’re forgetting is that if Sanchez doesn’t shine and keep Tebow on the bench this yr, he’s history as a Jet and if Tebow doesn’t learn to throw better, he’s history in the NFL. And scjoe, what do you care what Rex says about ground and pound as long as we don’t do it?

84. By scjoe on May 1, 2012 | Reply

64, I think you are missing the point about the Schilens/Hill comparisons. Schilens was signed as an UFA. He is big, he is fast, he is strong. He has potential. Otherwise why sign him? NOW, with all the other glaring needs (RT, SS, FS etc) you go out and sign the exact same type player with a 2nd round pick. Who knows at this point which of the two will make it and which wont. Not the point! The point is, were two exact same players at the same positions really necessary considering all the other needs? As for Rex and his well advertised G&P? It is not so much that I “care” what he says, it is the fact that I am completely baffled by the “strategy”

85. By Jimmer on May 1, 2012 | Reply

I agree with frank about the Hill thing. With him and Holmes, nobody will play 8 in the box. I think we’ll see a lot of cover-2. Plax scared nobody with the deep threat last year. That also leaves a LB covering Keller. The key to everything is, can the OL play the run and pass? Does Moore bounce back from injury and return to road-grater form? Does Slauson continue to grow? Which he really did do in 2011. We know what Brick & Mangold bring. What we are all worried about is who the RT will be. We are switching to the traditional blocking scheme, and away from zone blocking. This may, in itself, give MS enough time to actually throw the ball.

86. By joe on May 1, 2012 | Reply

Frank the problem is WOODY (dollar wise )needs TEBOW TO PLAY .Sanchez and Tebow run two different offences .Each qb inturn MUST HAVE PRACTICE REPS .Sanchez NEEDS ALL THE PRACTICE HE CAN GET.The very first time Sanchez does something dumb with the football THE TEBOW STUFF will start flying .Its goingb to be a TRAIN WRECK WAITING TO HAPPEN .

87. By GaryC on May 1, 2012 | Reply

there once was a tackle who was going to be the best of all time so they said,so was this linebacker who was also going to be the best of all time,their names are Mandarich and Bosworth.wonder where Kiper had them.

88. By joe on May 1, 2012 | Reply

PS its very easy to say LETS TRY IT (QB IN THE BULLPEN ECT )BUT if we look BACK NFL HISTORY clearly shows it doesnt REMOTELY WORK.)As a matter of fact i would venture to say approx 85 % of all teams that won the sb DID SO WITH A QB THAT IN THE HOF OR WILL BE IN THE HOF Starr ,Unitas Namath Stauback Griese Montana Bradshaw Young Aikeman Brady Manning Rothesburger Farve

89. By joe on May 1, 2012 | Reply

ALLAN i truely believe untill we a COMPLETELY NEW REGIME IN HERE (RUN BY A GUY LIKE BILL COWHER )were nothing but a dog chasing his own tail.Woody knows this .Hes going to play this Tebow thing to the fullest (MAKE AS MUCH MONEY FROM THE CORP AD DOLLARS AS POSSIBLE THIS YEAR )and clean house when it implodes.

90. By joe on May 1, 2012 | Reply

ps FRANK your a ton more optimistic than iam .As far as DUCCASSE in the history OF THE NFL other than LARRY ALLAN (TOTAL FREAK OF NATURE )THERES NOT TOO MANY GUARDS that have MADE ANY IMPACT AT ALL FROM D2 SCHOOLS.Frank ,Duccasse PLAYING AT A D2 SCHOOL LINED UP AGAINST guys he outweighted by 100 plus pounds most of the time (how could he not look good )The TALENT JUMP from a NEBRASKA ,PENN STATE TO THE NFL is gigantic to come out of a D2 school and have to line up over A GUY LIKE SUH OR CASEY Hampton.

91. By joe on May 1, 2012 | Reply

PS iam pretty famular with Monmouth U team (MILES AUSTIN WENT THERE )Monmouth is 1AA.Back in the 90s my business partner was an ALL AMERICAN D LINEMAN on Nebraskas UNDEFEATED Nat title teams (Ialso lived with many guys who played in the NFL from Penn State )To compare any Lineman from Monmouth to a guy from a top 50 school Nfl prospect is beyond insanity Its like compararing a Rolls to a Ford and saying their both cars.

92. By SCfromNY on May 2, 2012 | Reply

I thought the draft was mostly good. Coples can be very good. I think his smooth relaxed style of play can be mistaken for cruise control. I have no problem with Hill as soon as the Jets get a QB to throw to him. Without ann upgrade at RT McElroy may see action quicker than we thought. Biggest miss to me OLB. We are still old and slow there. With really only one “elite” safety in the draft I think we did good in the later rounds.Like Tebow Sanchez’s weaknesses are well known now and both will not succeed unless our run game is fantastic.

93. By Allan O'Dane on May 2, 2012 | Reply

To my fellow Bloggers here..Take a close look at the 49ers. Here is a team that ran the so called “ground & pound”…they were one big play from going to the superbowl….They looked across the field and saw a NYG that had complete balance attack on offense. So..what did the 49ers do? They went out and got Randy Moss and Mario Manningham. Solid 1-2 combo. Now add vernon davis..and crabtree playing the slot…what do you have? SUPERBOWL READY team. Harbaurgh knew that “ground & pound” wasn’t going to make it…this has become a passing league…so with that they added Brandon Jacobs to spell frank gore…can you play this team with 8-9 men in the box? Nope…can you play zone coverage all day or man to man?…NOPE…My point is this…

94. By Allan O'Dane on May 2, 2012 | Reply

Like I have stated before…Saints…Packers…Giants…Pats….Falcons..Steelers…All teams that have a Balanced offense…and what do they have in common?…they win.
    Now take a look at the up and coming teams.. Bears…49ers…Tampa…Cards…Lions…what do these teams have in common? former teams that loved to run..but realized it’s not going to get you to the superbowl..so they add offensive weapons…WR’s to throw too…upgraded O-line to protect…I am telling you…you run the risk of injury if your run % is at 80%….mark my words…one key guy goes down..say like Mangold (god forbid)..we are down..If teams start stacking the box to stop the run pile ups will increase..and so will injuries…when defensive lineman and linebacker

95. By Allan O'Dane on May 2, 2012 | Reply

get tired of tackling against the run they start going for knees…..All NYJ had to do was get a GOOD Vet Qb…to push mark and to come in case of injury…Get A Legit#1 receiver..( in my eyes Holmes is a #2 ) but he could be a #1 if you add a solid#2. Solidifiy your O-line. Get a back like M.Bush ( who went to the bears by-the-way) to spell Greene use McKnight as your 3rd down back use him like LT. And if you believe in your QB (GQ) let him throw the ball…At least you would have somewhat of a balanced attack. But I guess it;s going to be run on 1st….run on 2nd….run/pass on 3rd..you don’t think other teams are going to figure that out?

96. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on May 2, 2012 | Reply

Only a fool would argue with you about ground and pound, Allan. Or a foolish HC…

97. By Allan O'Dane on May 2, 2012 | Reply

In any draft you don’t realize what you have until the 3rd season. I will sit back and watch carefully the coples….hills….and whatever that linebacker we drafted….sorry…and see if NYJ made the right choices. I

98. By joe on May 2, 2012 | Reply

Allan great POINTS not to mention they offered (SF )PAYTON 87 plus million TO TRY TO GRT HIM .WHY BRING ANY OF THEM IN (as you said )IF A SB COULD BE WON RUNNING THE BALL

99. By Allan O'Dane on May 3, 2012 | Reply

64Tom, I like a good arguement. As long as the person comes with facts. People might say “oh..he is a jet basher or a negative fan”…really.?..I love this team…with such a passion,I’ve been watching this team since the Richard Todd days…and for some reason this Organzation just can;t get over that hump…there’s always a letdown…a crushing defeat….it just tears your heart out. I want what every jet fan on this site wants..a winning franchise…I want a superbowl…So when I hear Mike T. talk he makes my head hurt. I will tell anyone just listen to Mike T. try to talk football..or even evaluate players…Then listen to a guy like…Mike Holgrem..or Bill Parcells…Bill Polian…Then you tell me who is the real GM.

100. By kleckofan on May 3, 2012 | Reply

allan o- I could not agree more about listening to Tanny talk football…excruciating. I have said on here b4 that he like having a star struck fan pulled off his barstool and placed in his NFL dream job or like having a WFAN listener with a trade idea actually getting to do what they think. I hope all our picks work out well and as days go by it seems like people are starting to think we did better than just OK, esp Coples. I will say this, going back to watching Richard Todd doesn’t get you much cred’ with this group, most of us froze are *** off at Shea watching Joe Willie. And danny, as a Div III player for Wittenberg, I resent that statement about being picked by the Pats…lol just kidding. Go Gang green!

101. By kleckofan on May 3, 2012 | Reply

wanted to weigh in on the Seau story. Always a tragic thing when a young man and father dies, esp’ by his own hand (allegedly). But if I’m being totally honest here, if it was suicide it fits w the way I saw him as a player. He always talked “team” on camera or when “miked up”, but he played undisciplined, selfish football and was a “hotdog” loudmouth. Keith Brookings reminds me of him now. Shut up and play. As a player I hated the screamers trying to get others “up”, see ray Lewis.. If it was suicide, he has a wife and three children and that is the ultimate cowardly, selfish act. I am a psychology believer and understand depression (suffer from it myself) so please don’t get on here spouting “you don’t know his mind” etc

102. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on May 3, 2012 | Reply

You’ll get no argument from me about Mr T, Allan, and I’ve been watching this team since before we got Joe Willie so if that team could go on to glory, so can a Jet team of today. I’ll hand you off to scjoe so it doesn’t look like I’m raining too much on Mr T’s parade after he finally came up with a good draft with more than 3 or 4 picks. But I’ll let scjoe pick up on the pt that there was no need to get Schilens if you were gonna go after a WR like Hill…no need to go after Tebow when what you really wanna do is see if Sanchez is good enough or move on…and of course no need for Drew Stanton at all!

103. By joe on May 3, 2012 | Reply

MIKE T; PLAX comes by my office ALL THE TIME and our conversations are insightful and stimulating . Mike T you have insightful and stimulating conversation with a person WHO JUST DID YEARS IN JAIL BECAUSE HE DIDNT THINK ANYTHING WAS WRONG WITH BRINGING AN UNREGISTERED HANDGUN (ACROSS STATE LINES) INTO A CROWED NY DISCO THERE FROM WHICH he PROCEDED TO SHOOT HIMSELF IN THE LEG.Said person also did not know who MAYOR BLOOMBERG WAS.(Bloomberg stopped all plea bargins )