• Wed., Sep. 03, 2014 2:15 PM - 2:30 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Thu., Sep. 04, 2014 2:00 PM - 2:15 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Thu., Sep. 04, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Thu., Sep. 04, 2014 10:00 PM - 10:30 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Fri., Sep. 05, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Fri., Sep. 05, 2014 1:25 PM - 1:40 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Sat., Sep. 06, 2014 7:30 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Sun., Sep. 07, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Live Jets Post Game: Raiders at Jets Reactions and on-field interviews with Jets players immediately following every Jets game
  • Sun., Sep. 07, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Live Jets Post Game: Raiders at Jets Reactions and on-field interviews with Jets players immediately following every Jets game
  • Mon., Sep. 08, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Live Jets Open Mic

Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences

Matt Simms Survives, Signs as Undrafted FA

Posted by Randy Lange on May 6, 2012 – 3:07 pm

Matt Simms, brother of Chris and son of Phil, had a modest goal as one of the 26 tryout players invited to the rookie minicamp at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center this weekend.

“It’s just survival and see what happens,” said Matt after Saturday’s morning practice. “I just want to keep playing the game I’ve been playing since I was a kid, and wherever that is, I would love to do it.”

For now Matt will be playing the game with the Jets, who announced today that Simms signed a contract with the Green & White as an undrafted free agent.

Simms (6’3″, 210) has had his ups and downs along the quarterback road. He was quarterback of the vaunted Don Bosco Prep team in Ramsey, N.J., near his Franklin Lakes home — in fact, he still has the second-most career touchdown passes in New Jersey playoff history, 15 for the Ironmen from 2004-06.

Then he began his collegiate odyssey, going from Louisville to El Camino College to 10 starts for Tennessee but just two of them as a senior, which led to him not only not being drafted but not being signed until today.

“You’re going to go through a lot of different things and it’s going to be hard to adjust to different scenarios,” Simms said. “I’m fortunate that I did have my brother and my father. They have tremendous knowledge of the game and they’re a great support system. Their help has really guided me through this process, even thought it’s been difficult at times.”

The Jets of course have a veteran depth chart of Mark Sanchez, Tim Tebow and Greg McElroy at QB and then signed G.J. Kinne from Tulsa as an undrafted FA immediately after the draft. Now Simms makes five, in large part because head coach Rex Ryan and coordinator Tony Sparano were impressed with his throwing at the camp, which concluded with a morning practice today.

“They’ve got to show it to you,” Ryan said Saturday about all of the tryout players that will come to any team’s minicamp in a given year. “You’re out there, you’ve got 40-some guys out there. They need to pop off the tape.

“With Matt Simms, the thing you’re impressed with immediately is how he can throw the football. He has a great arm — he can really spin ‘em. The thing you don’t see is obviously him against the rush. But I followed him, I knew he was at Tennessee. He had his ups and downs when he was there, but he has the arm now, and he has the pedigree.”

We probably don’t have to tell you that Phil Simms had perhaps the greatest passing day in Super Bowl history for the Giants over the Broncos in SBXXI and has been the network analyst for more than 60 Jets games, including seven of their playoff games, beginning with NBC in 1997 and then from ’98 to present with CBS. Chris had 16 starts for three teams over five seasons and now is a New England assistant coach.

More Transactions

Besides Simms, the Jets also announced that they have signed sixth-round S Josh Bush out of Wake Forest, and OL Fred Koloto (6’3″, 297), another tryout who has started at LT and last season at LG for San Jose State. Previously the Jets announced they had signed tryout WR Royce Pollard (6’1″, 175), who had 71 catches for 1,011 yards and eight TDs as a senior at Hawaii.

They also announced today that they have waived C Kris O’Dowd out of Southern Cal, a street free agent they signed in March.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

69 Responses to “Matt Simms Survives, Signs as Undrafted FA”

1. By sal on May 6, 2012 | Reply

New Yorkers looking out for each other!!

2. By scjoe on May 6, 2012 | Reply

LOL, Matt Simms has about as much a chance of making this roster as I do. This is just a courtesy call as sure as I am sitting here. But it is not really an important. There are more pressing issues then this, like who is going to start at RT on opening day.

3. By CGB on May 6, 2012 | Reply

you never know someone might get hurt in OTA’s then there will be a real need to sign an extra QB.

4. By jim rossi on May 6, 2012 | Reply

you never knooooooooooow!

5. By SCfromNY on May 6, 2012 | Reply

The Jets might carry four, one on the practice squad. I wish Simms all the luck. I hope the WRs do not get to used to accurate balls from #3 & #4 while waiting for Sanchez and Tebow.

6. By IRA on May 6, 2012 | Reply

Good Luck to Matt but really this has to be just to have an extra arm in camp for awhile or a favor to his father. Really can’t see it any other way.
    This Pollard kid sounds like he is very much like J. Carter tall can fly but too thin. Interesting p/u though.

7. By GaryC on May 6, 2012 | Reply

simms was signed to take the licks in training camp when coples and davis start putting on the pass rush,as I say,simms is just training camp fodder.

8. By sal on May 6, 2012 | Reply

Knicks did same thing w/ Ewings son, give him a shot at least, throws better than Tbow anyway! Surprized nothing on the Oline, The resurgence of the Jets started w/ the Oline, surprized w/ the 360 in thinking. Fanaca signing helped put them back into relavence.

9. By Duffy on May 6, 2012 | Reply

I am excited for him. His dad was great and brother never pan out. Maybe he at least make the practice squad. The Jets saw something in him. I just can wait for football to start. GOOO JETSSSS!!!!

10. By scjoe on May 6, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, lets take a look back at the 2010 draft for example. That means 2 full seasons to evaluate it. Round 1 Wilson, rd 2 Ducasse, rd 4 McKnight, rd 5 Conner. That’s it, that’s the entire draft. In terms of production, from 1-10 what would you rate that draft, with 10 being an A+ and 1 being an F. Because unless you want to count a FB or a occasional nickle back as starters, I didn’t see any.

11. By IRA on May 7, 2012 | Reply

Gary,
    Good thoughts about Simms being a tackling dummy but you can’t say that. Two things camps are not as physical as they used to be 15 yrs ago for several reasons and the key one is coaches are trying to keep their players healthy if possible. They want to avoid as many injuries as they can. Second QB’s never get touched so that is not a factor. I think Davis is going to open some eyes in camp this summer. Last real physical camps i saw were Parcells’ and Groh’s camps.

12. By uncle joe on May 7, 2012 | Reply

Just a really good feeling about this draft class. All these kids just seem like Team First Players and I am particularly impressed with this Ganaway, he sounds like he is gonna be real hard to keep off the field. If Greene can stay healthy, these two are gonna pound defenses.

13. By uncle joe on May 7, 2012 | Reply

And with WR Hill, I feel like we had two first round picks! This Couples and Hill will rival the D’Brick/ Mangold or even the Revis/Harris Draft!

14. By GaryC on May 7, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, I was one who never said a nickel back or fullback were starters,that might have been Ira,for once I agree,so far this draft has been lousy with a capital L.but like you said on a previous post,we have the great cromartie who is in the way of wilson,ducasse who I have said time and time again needs to play guard,and slauson out to tackle,and connor who I don’t believe will have a position when the season starts,and for McKnight,sparano will use him like he did Reggie Bush,and we will see if theres improvement.Right now I would give it a D.see I surprised you,no I wasn’t giving it an A.

15. By GaryC on May 7, 2012 | Reply

Ira, talk to the people at Tennesse and see how bad Simms really played,Desmond Howard said he was the worst quarterback in sec and phil called him up about that,look if he works out by some miracle the best you can assume is that the jets get a low round pick for him,but if you think he is beating out Mcelroy I got land to sell you.

16. By Frank on May 7, 2012 | Reply

Ho hum….now Rex says Davis is the second coming of Ray Lewis and I hear Coples had several sacks in his first practice and Hill is Calvin Johnson,etc. This nonsense can only come from the Jets. It’s not funny, it’s not entertaining it’s down right embarrassing! god help us this year. Rex is not a head coach he is an entertainer pure and simple so much for kepping his mouth shut and changing his ways.

17. By GaryC on May 7, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, you wanted a right tackle,you probably wanted bobbie massie,why didn’t the giants select him if he was so good,and without McKenzie the giants definitely need a right tackle,I guess they were pretty dumb too.the jets went with their highest rated player at a position they needed.

18. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on May 7, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, the 2010 draft looms as a disaster if Wilson doesn’t keep getting better, Ducasse doesn’t show something and fast, ad McKnight doesn’t become more than a KR — that is, a RB. Conner was a completely unnecessary pick to begin with, we coulda gotten a blocking FB anywhere. As for Simms, knowing Rex I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s here because his dad never says a bad word about somebody else who needs to step up, Sanchez. And speaking of wasting money, $2 mil to put Tebow on ST is ridiculous. I think this supports the notion that Westhoff should shuffle off to the nursing home pretty soon.

19. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on May 7, 2012 | Reply

The optimistic news for the day, though there’s much more of that on Davis, Bush, and Allen in this same Cimini piece: “It was another big day for second-round WR Stephen Hill, who was the best player on the field — at least from my perspective. In 7-on-7 drills, Hill was a huge presence over the middle, making several grabs on in-cutting routes in the 15- to 20-yard range. In team drills, he made a nice, over-the-shoulder catch on a sideline route. This was a long way from game conditions, so let’s not put him in Canton just yet but the Jets have to be thrilled with Hill.”

20. By IRA on May 7, 2012 | Reply

Gary, I never said Simms will make this team. They always like to keep 3 and 1 on the PS. So he is fighting it out with Kinne for that PS spot. I can’t imagine him getting it. At least Kinne put up good #’s at Tulsa.
    Enough already with this RT talk. They will figure it out one way or the other. They are not going to let that beat them again otherwise someones head or heads will roll.

21. By RTW on May 7, 2012 | Reply

ya know whats nonsense…all you SO CALLED jet fans on this blog knocking OUR JETS with every post you leave!!!! WHY DONT YOU GO ROOT FOR THE PATRIOTS… YOU MIGHT AS WELL…YOUR THE EMBARESSMENT TO ALL OF THE REAL FANS!!!geez!!!

22. By IRA on May 7, 2012 | Reply

Guess these new CBA rules really have paid off. Irvin the 15th pick in the 1st rd signed today and if i understand the structure of how it works Coples should be signing with no problem sometime soon.

23. By Another Tom on May 7, 2012 | Reply

We havent heard any new grumblings from the Revis camp…no news is good news? many posts about the great attitudes from our draft choices..very REFRESHING ! Great job selecting players with solid character and back ground, first step to success

24. By Frank on May 7, 2012 | Reply

64 and your agenda….Tebow is the best thing that happened to this team this year. He is a better QB and leader than Sanchize-Not and he will be the starting QB at some point this year. If you think his 2 mil is a waste then what do you call Sanchize-Not and his guaranteed contract? I call it a disaster and undeserving. Tebow says he will do what it takes including special teams that is called a selfless and team player. The guy is a winner plain and simple he elevates his team something Sanchize-Not has never done in 3 years. Don’t quote stats to me stats are for losers and fantasy football. He took a 1-4 team and completely turned it around thats what winners do.
    As for the draft picks they are busts until they play and show something!!!

25. By scjoe on May 7, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, glad to see we see eye to eye on that 2010 draft. Although a few of the others over the past ten years were not AS bad, there weren’t to many A+s either. As for this past draft? No, I am not saying the 2nd round pick should have been Massie, what I am saying is the 1st rounder should have been an O lineman (Decastro or Reif) the 2nd rounder should have been the pass rusher and the 3rd the safety. Those 3 positions were much more of a need then WR. THAT, is all I am trying to say. It is not that I have anything against Hill. Just the fact it was not the #2 need in this draft.

26. By scjoe on May 7, 2012 | Reply

64, you are right. As of now you could place a D on that 2010 draft. But after this year if Wilson does not step up big time, it should go to an F. Ducasse? At this point I am not sure he is capable of stepping up. RTW, your post was hilarious. I am not sure if that was the intent, but it was. Can we expect anymore?

27. By scjoe on May 7, 2012 | Reply

Ira, Enough with the starting RT talk? With that logic why don’t we just stop the comments on ALL positions and ALL things Jets? Me personally? I am waiting patiently to see exactly who that starting RT is going to be. It is that important! Based on last years performance at that position anyway.

28. By boni on May 7, 2012 | Reply

Well said, Frank!

29. By MIKE on May 7, 2012 | Reply

I to am sick of hearing Rex compare players to other great players in this league. Hill to Megatron, Davis to Ray, whats next Ducasse to Jonathan Ogden. Part of the problem may be overhyping there young players. Its fine to do it to Revis, Revis was a stud before Rex got here.

On the bright side, glad to see Couples looking good along with Hill. The Jets are due to have a good draft class, the last few have been pretty average at best.

30. By walt on May 8, 2012 | Reply

I hate to say this but if you ask me some New York Jets fans are very mean spirited.Just the other day I read an article that stated naming Tim Tebow to one of the top 100 NFL player list was ridiculous.Excuse me But last I heard tim is a member of the New york Jet football team.I would think that all New York Jets fans would be very pleased that a member of our team was so honnered.Tim Tebow is a class act and as he proved last year he is a very good football player he deserves better treatment than that from jets fans.Let us Jet fans show some respect for all the Jet players.Disrespect the players on the other teams especially those lousy Patriots.

31. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on May 8, 2012 | Reply

Your agenda is apparently spreading stupid nonsense about Tebow, Frank, which proves you know nothing about QBs or football. walt, I wish Tebow well but he was a completely unnecessary pick-up that cost us a crucial draft choice. A QB who throws worse than anyone in the league who we can maybe also use at RB and punt protector was NOT one of our crying needs. So while I have nothing against Tebow personally (it’s Jesus who woulda been revolted by his show-offy Christianity), unless he can be coached up to become the starting elite QB we need, I’ll be just as happy to see him do well on another team in 2013.

32. By GaryC on May 8, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, the majority of top pass rushers are taken in first round,they don’t last to second if they are that good,their are more right tackles who go after first round then pass rushers,and right tackle is not the priority over pass rushers,so your draft theory this year doesn’t wash.I’m still taking coples over riley reiff.

33. By Tom Spicer on May 8, 2012 | Reply

This is what Rotoworld said about the Jet O line. The Jets fielded the best offensive line in football during the 2009-10 seasons, but the unit has quickly devolved into much less of a strength. Right tackle is perhaps the most critical front-five position on a run-heavy team, and New York has gone from starting one of the league’s top strong-side tackles (Damien Woody) to arguably the worst. Ferguson and Mangold remain among the NFL’s elite, but Slauson is a replacement-level performer and Moore has lost his run-blocking fastball going on age 32 after major hip surgery. Depth is another big concern. Further complicating matters is New York’s lack of a running back capable of creating yardage on his own.

34. By Tom Spicer on May 8, 2012 | Reply

The Jets’ line is suddenly league average at best, and it’s not getting any better this year. it ranked them 17 out of 32 teams.

35. By Lamont C. Cranston on May 8, 2012 | Reply

Cudos to Jets for tip of the hat to Simms Sr!! Latter said, Jr.’s performance in SEC was, in the kindest term, Underwhelming. He couldn’t even hold down the starting job with a SEC underperformer…Tennessee. Re: Kinne. Coach’s son who played in TX “C” League. Undistinguished, couldn’t pass mustard with UTexas or get a tryout in SEC. Played again in the “C” League. Compare w/GMac: TX High School Player of Year in “Big Boy” 243 Team TX 5A; Set All-Time TX HS QB records; and, All-American. Offers from 4 SEC Teams; Played/Excelled for NChamp Alabama. And…before he was injured in ’11 led all NFL Rookie QB’s in QB Efficiency. Stay Tuned!

36. By Tom Spicer on May 8, 2012 | Reply

Also with all the holes that the Jets had prior to the draft to trade a 4th & a 6th round pick for Tebow was the WORST thing the Jets could have done. We already have a better QB in Mark. We already have a better RB in Greene & McKnight. We already have a better TE in Keller & we already have a better FB in Conner. The Jets should have tried to get starters with those 4th & 6th round picks at need positions.

37. By scjoe on May 8, 2012 | Reply

Again, I think we better wait until seasons end to ordain Tebow (no pun intended) as a savior. Just looking at his stats, I don’t see it happening, as a QB anyway. I don’t think any of us here know exactly what his “exact” roll will be, OR if it will be successful long term. I will say that as a Jet fan I hope it is. Maybe, just maybe, the off season work he has done with that QB guru has paid off enough to seriously consider him as an option, (again as a QB) To early to tell. So, it would be moot to debate it now. That said, I don’t believe the competition at QB is head and shoulders above him, so lets all stay tuned.

38. By scjoe on May 8, 2012 | Reply

Spicer, in other words, Rotoworld has said exactly what I have said all along and what I am still trying to get across to GaryC. Contrary to popular belief the O line absolutely had to take preference over a WR in this draft. The need for a RB who can “make yardage on his own” speaks for itself. I don’t really care what order they were selected, but OL Pass rusher (DE or OLB) RB and safety had to be 1-2-3-4. A WR core of SH, Kerely, Schilens (BE?) and the rest of the WR prospects would have been just fine.

39. By scjoe on May 8, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, the majority of top ANYTHING go in first round, (with no guarantees, of course,Gholston again?) so that point is moot. You still have to consider needs into that equation, not just “best player available” which in my opinion is reserved for teams who’s needs are not quite near the level that the Jets were going into this draft. Best player available is a luxury as opposed to the necessity of filling an apparent need. If you want to use that best player available logic, what if the top player on their board at that time happened to be a QB? Would they have selected him simply because he was the “best player available?”

40. By GaryC on May 8, 2012 | Reply

Look, Tebow will be slash with a lighter complexion,now their is nothing derogatory what I just said,just the facts.

41. By Another Tom on May 8, 2012 | Reply

We’re just gonna have to trust in coach Sparano’s OL expertise…He must think that Hunter is a viable talent at RT..He certainely knows more than the average fan..I just hope that We are building Depth accross the entire OL…

42. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on May 8, 2012 | Reply

Your info on the OL, Spice, also supports my view that all this “ground and pound” talk is just something that Rex pulls out when he doesn’t know what else to say, which is often when the subject is O. If Hill starts playing like the next Calvin Johnson, you won’t hear much from Rex about “If it was up to me, I’d just run the ball.” Of course, if Hill blossoms like that and we have a QB who can throw to him, you won’t hear much from Rex at all because that’ll mean that Sparano has successfully taken over the O and probably the HC job as well.

43. By Tom Spicer on May 8, 2012 | Reply

Frank, This is your quote from above “Don’t quote stats to me stats are for losers and fantasy football. ” Well you are flip flopping like a politican for the last 3 years all you could talk about was Marks rating & his completion percentage. Now that your guy Tebow is on the Jets stats dont matter ALL OF A SUDDEN! Well Tim MR. 46% Tebow is a the least accurate QB in the NFL HANDS DOWN.

44. By Tom Spicer on May 8, 2012 | Reply

SCJoe, The competition at QB is head & shoulders above him to put it in prospective. Mark completed 10% more of his passes than Tim MR. 46% Tebow. Now to compare how much of a difference that is Brady, Brees & Rodgers completed 66% of there passes or higher. Now I think it is safe to say that Brady, Brees & Rodgers are head & shoulders above Mark. Well as a passer Mark is head & shoulders above Tebow.

45. By IRA on May 9, 2012 | Reply

Too bad about Clinkscales. Hope there isn’t too much of a shake up with the scouting dept.
    Brown received good money for a kicker to come here and compete. I think Folk is going to have to kick lights out to keep his job this camp.

46. By SCfromNY on May 9, 2012 | Reply

I feel that when Rex first became HC it was good to see players praised but let’s stop until we see some that players deserve it. With Coples I will hope for the best sometimes smoothness and fluidity can be thought of as “taking a play off” Hill has the potential to be great but who will throw him the ball? Lastly, Tebow, who I feel is a great athlete and person if somewhat over “excited” to the point where it appears false. I would love to have him to dinner but not the QB of my football team. Would have preferred to keep Stanton and the 4th round pick.

47. By GaryC on May 9, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, their is another term they use in draft parlance and that is when a team REACHES,for a specific player even though not rated as highly.I believe the jets have done that many times also.you say only the good teams can pick best available athlete,but that is why they are good, they always pick best available athlete rather then REACH for a need.

48. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on May 9, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, it’s strange to see you fighting this rear-guard action against the Jets entering the modern NFL and getting down with the passing game. Schilens is a mediocre, often-injured, backup WR at best, what in the world gives you the idea that he’d be “just fine” lined up with Holmes and Kerley? Holmes would continue to get constant double-coverage in such a lineup and “just fine” isn’t what you need to compete with the O’s of SB-caliber teams. Ira, is there ANYONE who EVER played or worked for the Jets that you WON’T get sentimental about? Considering the number of busts, mediocre players, and downright unnecessary picks that occurred on Clink’s watch, I can’t wait to see the back of him. And note that he left to make only a lateral move.

49. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on May 9, 2012 | Reply

Tebow just can’t get a break. Statiscally, he was one of the highest rated qb’s in the 4th quarter. Statistcally he was one of the best running qb in football. When he is on, he connects with short or long passes. He took the Bronco’s to the playoffs with some accurate passing. Do I believe he should be a starting qb, “NO”, but I do believe he a good athlete and can help the Jets as a TE or on ST’s.

Walkins and free agents. There is some good talent in the walk-in. Have any of you looked at the blocking ability of Comick, Griffin, Landolt, O’dowd, or Wenger all offensive linemen. These are big and fast youngmen… LETS GO JETS….

50. By scjoe on May 9, 2012 | Reply

Spicer, lets be honest, Sanchez has not exactly lit up the score board in three full seasons as a starter, so yes, I think that term was appropriate. Besides, you took that term out of context. I also said that Tebows work with a QB guru “may” pay off to the point where he can be taken seriously as an option at QB BUT no one can make that determination at this point in time. Again, lets be honest, your right 46% comp is unacceptable, but so is 56% after three full seasons as a starter. One of the two needs to step up big time, I really don’t care which one it is as long as one of them do it.

51. By scjoe on May 9, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, your a hard debate lol But, I would say that selecting Decastro or Reif in the 1st round hardly qualify’s as a “reach” on the contrary, I think both would have been safe picks that fill needs, particularly Decastro, where Slauson (if healthy) could have been moved to RT. If there was a “reach” in this draft it could be Hill, given his limited production in three years at GT. Also, strongly disagree with the statement that “good teams ALWAYS pick best available, that is why they are good” they are good because they fill needs first, then they are in a better position to pick best available, unlike the Jets.

52. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on May 9, 2012 | Reply

Your comment on not caring whether it’s Tebow or Sanchez who steps up is exactly how I see it, scjoe, Problem is, the likelihood of Tebow stepping up and becoming an accurate passer in the Ben R mode doesn’t seem that strong and we really didn’t need this. We fans and the team didn’t need this, that is — Woody and Mr T apparently decides that if we’re 2-8 with Sanchez, they needed something to keep folks interested for the rest of the yr. It woulda been much smarter to just let Sanchez sink or swim this yr and then start over with a new QB next yr, but that calls for the kind of humility and courage that certainly is lacking in the Rex-era Jets.

53. By scjoe on May 9, 2012 | Reply

64, One more time!!!! What makes you so positive, and make no, mistake, you do sound positive, that Hill will be all you build him up to be? Don’t believe for one minute that his size and speed guarantees anything! (Just like Schilens) The difference, to me at least, is the fact that Schliens was already in place as the big tall fast WR “prospect” So, what we have here is 2, “almost exact” unknown commodity’s where only one would have been sufficient in the grand scheme of things. Just like Sanchez/Tebow, Schilens/Hill can not be answered right now. You may be proven right, then again you may not.

54. By GaryC on May 9, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, yes those teams fill the needs when that need also includes best available player,killing two birds with one stone.TOUCHE.

55. By GaryC on May 10, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, how can you be so pessimistic about Hill, yet so optimistic about ANCIENT BURRESS,a guy with untapped potential as opposed to a guy who needed to be timed with an hourglass,tell me what nfl team would not take Hill right now over Methusalah.I know you and jetfantom, were all for the ancient one last year as I was against it from the start.Like jetfantom says in this new day and age of football,you need to put points on the board and don’t know to many offensive lineman who have led the league in scoring.

56. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on May 10, 2012 | Reply

I’ll just bet on a projected #1 pick with blazing speed and one of the highest avg/p catch in major college play ever vs. a guy who can’t stay on the field and barely got drafted at all any day of the week, scjoe.

57. By scjoe on May 10, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, are you confusing me with someone else? Because I don’t recall doing back flips when Burress was signed. I did support him while he was a Jet, but I do that with all Jet players including Sanchez. I may not endorse their performances (Sanchez) but I support them and hope they improve. Burress is no longer with the team so all bets are off as far as he is concerned.The only ones I worry about now are the ones that are on the roster (Shilens, Hill etc) I think I have made that clear for as long as I have been posting here. I am a JET fan first and foremost not necessarily a fan of any one particular player.

58. By scjoe on May 10, 2012 | Reply

GaryC lolol! you are right, there haven’t been to many O lineman that led the league in scoring recently. But last time I checked there haven’t been to many WRs that have kept the QB upright while he was attempting to throw deep down field to his tall, and speedy receiver either.

59. By scjoe on May 10, 2012 | Reply

64, since you are a betting man, I will wager a breakfast saying Hill will not have a “major impact” with the team this season. I will even set the bar low and define a “major impact” as 50 catches, 700 yards and 7 TDs. That may not even qualify as a “major impact” but I will leave it there. Remember, you are projecting him to be a legitimate #2. So those numbers, with his “size, speed and athleticism” should be attainable, correct?

60. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on May 10, 2012 | Reply

Nice try, scjoe, but on the current Jets it’s a little more nuanced than that. 50/700/7 TDs would be A BANNER ROOKIE YR for Hill or any other WR on this team considering the clueless HC, inaccurate QBs, and beat-up and underwhelming OL we have at the moment. As you’ll recall, Holmes couldn’t even make those numbers last yr. I’ll say that if Hill has the same yr Stuckey had when we had Favre throwing to him healthily for most of the yr — about 30-35 catches only with a higher p/catch, maybe 15 or more — he’ll be doing JUST FINE! Of course, that’s if either Sanchez, Tebow, or even Mc can throw the ball okay and if Rex stops screwing around with “ground and pound,” the Wildcat, etc. Don’t hold breath on those last 2 pts.

61. By sal on May 11, 2012 | Reply

30-35 catches for Hill?, doubt even Holmes will have those #’s. If they stick with who sparono is, combined with Rex, I think we are in for a long season of ground and pound and wild cat close games (against avg teams) going down to the last drive. If thats the case, good teams w/ great offences Iexpect blow outs. And as the season moves on , the locker room will become a bigger problem this year. If they let sancheze do his thing and hill works out, and Tebow is his normal mon-self serving teamplayer and motivates his mates. This could be a great season. Flip a coin!

62. By scjoe on May 11, 2012 | Reply

64, you are setting the bar pretty low for a guy you predicted to be a starting #2 WR with all that speed, height and athleticism. In spite of all of that, you are now saying if he has a year similar to a former 6th rd pick who never even started a game, he will be doing JUST FINE? Are you sure you want to go with that? Sal, unfortunately I will go with scenario #1, and I say that primarily because I don’t have any faith in Sanchez as a “quality” QB and even less in Hill who totaled less then 50 catches his ENTIRE college career. At this point (unless something drastic happens) I see mostly struggles going down to the last 2 minutes of each game.

63. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on May 11, 2012 | Reply

Your lack of faith in Sanchez dovetails with my projected #s, scjoe. Last yr MS was much better at checking down to LT and finding Keller for short passes than throwing longer. So it’s reasonable to guess that if Holmes had the same 65 or so catches as Keller this yr, that would be big improvement. That leaves room for Hill to maybe get 40-50 but with our QBs and line, 30-35 with a high avg would be fine because Kerley’s gonna get more like 25-30 this yr himself. That’s already about 200 or more comps without even counting dump checkoffs to RBs. So you’re saying you think MS is gonna have more than 250 comps out of 450 attempts? (28 atts p/game, 55% comp) I sure don’t! I think you’re forgetting what team Hill’s on and who’s throwing to him.

64. By sal on May 11, 2012 | Reply

I hear ya Joe, but they have so much wrapped up in Sanchez, Common sense say’s one thing, hoping for a good season and not ruin it before it starts, for me anyway, I think I will try to stay positive, like every other year since SB1. “were there is will there is a way”. Sancheze will show his true colors and ability this year,he has no choice, if he dont give 110 effort on every play, or if he chokes out, he is gone. or better yet I wouldnt be surprized if they even trade him, before camp. Somebody may want him, u never know!

65. By scjoe on May 12, 2012 | Reply

64, valid point about Hill “with” Sanchez being his QB, and of course I agree with that analogy, BUT, it lends the question, not to you necessarily, but to Tannenbaum, why not draft to Sanchez strengths instead of his weaknesses? Why go after a big tall speedster when it is obvious to anyone watching that Sanchez is far to inaccurate throwing long. Why not go OT or even best RB available?
    Either would have made more sense as far as helping this guy out in what he does and what he can not do.

66. By sal on May 12, 2012 | Reply

That what he needs , a big taller reciever, did well with Edwards,even with Edwards dropping em or catching it the face, did make great receptions too. This team always lacked big tall recievers. They should of taken Wallace (Steelers) when they had the chance. They always had a slew of short to avg. height recievers. Time to get big, now if they can just just get a big a fatty for the Oline to help keep him upright, maybe they will have something!!

67. By 40 year fan on May 15, 2012 | Reply

I for one am glad to have this kid . If he is one tenth the QB his father was than this is a great fit …I am not sure about Tebow , and Sanchez better step it up . Now that schotty isn’t there we should get back to the fundamentals …Our 3rd and 4th string Qbs have every chance in the world of getting in there as far as I’m concerned

68. By sal on May 15, 2012 | Reply

Problem with alot of young QB’s like Sanchez, is they all think they are worth more than they are and the world evolves around them. This effects any business, this is the year he needs to grow and wake up. He has talent, but so did Ryan Leif, biggest premadonna in NFL history. Players like Simms, have to fight for what they get, not given anything ie Kurt Warner.

69. By buckeye on May 17, 2012 | Reply

I don’t see Sanchez or Tebow as QB’s that will ever be top tier QB’s. I wouldn’t pick either one as my QB on a fantasy football team so what makes people see them as guys that are gonna win a superbowl? Although GJ Kinne did not play college football at a major University he did have good numbers and given the opportunity could be a quality QB.