• Sat., Oct. 25, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Sun., Oct. 26, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EDT Live Jets Talk LIVE: Pregame Get your most compreshensive game preview as Jets Insiders Eric Allen and Amanda Pflugrad are joined by Vic Carucci of the Buffalo News. JTL kicks off at 11:30 a.m. from the Coaches Club at MetLife  Stadium.
  • Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Inside the Jets

• Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Extra Point - Only on SNY

• Wed., Oct. 29, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

• Thu., Oct. 30, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Sat., Nov. 01, 2014 3:00 PM - 3:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

Teammates Survey the Locker Room QB Scene

Posted by Randy Lange on May 10, 2012 – 4:11 pm

It was quite a scene in the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center locker room early this afternoon, a media horde descending on the Green & White on an otherwise average day in May.

It was reporters’ first chance to chat with Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow after the quarterbacks have had some time to work together on and off the field. And while No. 6 and No. 15 were put through their paces with questions about starting and locker room chemistry and one offense or two, the QBs’ teammates watched with relative amusement. Only because at this time, in the middle of the offseason, there’s nothing not to like about the new working arrangement.

“Problems in the locker room? I don’t think so,” said TE Dustin Keller from half a room away. “If the two two didn’t get along so well, that could be the case. But they have a great working relationship. Tim’s a great guy. You see them joking around, laughing. You’re not going to do that if you’re enemies. They’re getting along in the quarterback room.”

“It kind of reminds me of when Brett Favre got here,” said DT Mike DeVito, reflecting on those halcyon days of 2008. “Back then people would ask me, ‘What’s Favre doing now?’ like I lived with the guy. This is about the same. But I’m grateful Tim’s here. He’s a great person, he’s a hard worker — he and Mark and Greg [McElroy] are in the weightroom an hour after the offense is done. He sets a great example on and off the field.”

RT Wayne Hunter is another Jet who welcomes Tebow to the mix.

“For me, I was really excited about him coming here, for his faith, for one, being a strong Christian,” Hunter said. “And number two, I was really excited about what he’s brought to this team. He brings a whole ‘nother level, a whole ‘nother dynamic.”

Darrelle Revis was asked about whether you can have two leaders at one position, or more specifically two leaders at the QB position, on one team, and he replied with an honestly noncommittal answer.

“That’s a tough question,” Revis said. “I don’t know. I can’t come up with an answer to that question, as much as I want to. I don’t know. We’re all experiencing the same thing.”

But Revis was far from downplaying the impact Tebow can have on that other side of the ball.

“These are my teammates. I’m here to support everybody on this team,” he said. “Who starts? It doesn’t matter. Everybody’s going to play on this team. Even if we need some practice-squad player to step up and play one week. We’re getting ready. This is a big year and we’re going to play some awesome football because last year was disappointing. 8-8 and we didn’t make the playoffs.”

The experiment in May is to start blending Tebow’s talents with Sanchez’s and all the other components on offense so that such an ending doesn’t happen again. And as these Phase II offseason practices morph into OTAs in a few weeks and then into the full-squad minicamp in mid-June, the Jets seem to like the different ambience in the locker room and the offensive players are eager to take coordinator Tony Sparano’s operation to the field.

“It’s been great coming in and learning a new offense,” Keller said. “There’s always going to be some ups and downs. Obviously we want to run the ball, and we’ll see as time goes on how much we pass the ball. But Coach Sparano is very vocal and he’s very honest. Those are things you can really appreciate about him. I think it’ll be good for us. It’s almost similar to college, in your face. He expects the most out of you, and obviously these guys expect the most out of themselves. It kind of pushes you to the next level.”

And as we know from the comments from head coach Rex Ryan, Sparano, Mike Tannenbaum and Woody Johnson, Sanchez will be the starter, and Tebow will be a catalyst.

“When you’ve got Tebow on the field,” Hunter said, “it’s going to be crazy. And that’s all I’m going to say about it now.”

Eric Allen will have a news feature with Sanchez talking about Tebow and Tebow about Sanchez, which will be live on the site shortly.

Streamlined McKnight

This is always the time of year to revisit with the veterans and see where they’re going with their strength and conditioning. It’s true that all teams went through similar situations last year during the lockout, but it’s also true that this year’s vets are working with new strength coach Bill Hughan and his team for the first time ever in an offseason program, since he started with the Jets last year.

Some of the changes are impressive, such as with Joe McKnight.

“I put on about 15 pounds. I was 197 at the end of last year,” said the more muscular third-year RB and the NFL’s defending kickoff-return leader. “I’m getting my strength right. I’m not a wide receiver, I’m a running back. I’m just continuing to work on my explosion.”

And, I asked, has the extra weight slowed him down at all? He smiled knowingly.

“From what the strength coach has told me, I’m just as fast as ever,” he said. “And I feel just as fast. But I feel stronger, too.”

That sounds like a dangerous combination. We’ll bring you more stories about some of the bodily transformations some of the Jets have made as we visit with the veterans once a week heading toward the minicamp next month.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

70 Responses to “Teammates Survey the Locker Room QB Scene”

1. By SCfromNY on May 10, 2012 | Reply

I am still concerned about leaning too much on the “ground and pound” which IMO is not a winning formula. I have hope when I see the second Draft pick of WR Hill. He should open up the field and he can run under Tebow’s inaccurate passes. I feel the defense has improved quite a bit and I will continue to hope a RT comes from somewhere.

2. By kleckofan on May 10, 2012 | Reply

Undoubtedly the first of many a “Sanchez-Tebow” story to come. All we could ask at this point is that everyone have an open mind about things…hope springs eternal. At least everyone’s saying the right thing so far, of course, there’s no Rex quote to deal with here. Personally, I think the Tebow move was a huge mistake, but he’s here, he is a great guy, a physical freak, a positive force and maybe we can make some of these things work for us. Glad to see McKnight put on some muscle for performance and stamina purposes. On a personal note, today is day 90 of P90X, not bad for a 49 yr old! Like McKnight I added some muscle, unlike him I’m as slow as TanRex are to admit a mistake.

3. By TONY GARCIA on May 10, 2012 | Reply

like what jets have done with picks,find some o-l in free agency and will be fine.

4. By danny on May 10, 2012 | Reply

I like hearing Mcknight put on 15 lbs of muscle. He can really help us and be another explosive weapon out of the backfield. He hits the hole fast and showed that against Denver last yr so if he can take care of his fumbling issues and become a better all around player with his weight gain he can be a big time player for us. His kick returns last season also showed how explosive he can be. Nice to hear he is beefed up working hard in the gym.

5. By Tom Spicer on May 10, 2012 | Reply

Mcknight, Putting on 15 lbs getting up to 215 is a good thing as long as he didnt lose any of his speed. He is a pro bowl kick returner & this year he is going to take on a big role as the 3rd down & pass catching back. Either he or Ganaway will also be the change of pace back for Greene this year cause LT is not coming back.

6. By Tom Spicer on May 10, 2012 | Reply

SCJoe, I think you are looking at Hill the wrong way yes he had only 28 catches last year but that was because of the O he played in & not a reflection of his ability. What you have to look at is his 29 yards per catch that he averaged last year. He is a walking bomb yea your right he may have 700 yards & 7 TDS next year I am thinking more like 800 & 6. But he will free up Holmes other teams will not be able to double him as much anymore. Being a legitamate deep threat he will open up the running game because teams will have to respect the deep ball & he is a great blocker which will also help the running game. I am kind of happy the Jets did not go the overpriced over the hill route in free agency which is the path the Jets usually take

7. By westcoastJET28 on May 10, 2012 | Reply

Well, now that both of my “championship caliber” NHL & NBA teams both went down in the 1st round, I can turn all my attention back to the Jets once again. Not the way I would have like this year to be going. Hopefully my Jets can make things right. I’m glad that everybody is getting along with in the locker room and it seem Sparano is doing a good job of keeping the Offensive players in check so far, it’s still very early. they seem to really respect him. I’m glad Joe is beefing up, hopefully it will give him confidence to hit the hole harder and faster. As well as helping him to stay healthy through out the season.

Also glad to hear that Revis is content with his contract, and focused on the team. Looks like there will be no hold out!!

8. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on May 10, 2012 | Reply

I resent the whole Sanchez vs Tebow spin of this piece and all others like it, they’re not equals, certainly not equals as Jets and they shouldn’t be talked about that way. Tebow shouldn’t even be here, he’s an unnecessary distraction and he hasn’t accomplished a fraction of what Sanchez has, even if MS has quite aways to go himself. And I’m sorry, no offense to the Judeo-Christian ethic but that’s really funny about Hunter hyping Tebow because he’s a Christian. “Upon this rock I build my offensive line,” to paraphrase what Jesus said about Peter, is what we need to be saying about Hunter pretty soon but again, don’t hold your breath waiting on that one…

9. By IRA on May 11, 2012 | Reply

Good to see that McKnight has added some bulk to his body. Tebow is going to make this team a better team any way he can. His leadeship qualities are something this team has lacked for some years. Too bad the media started the QB controversy before these guys even start to play real football in camp this summer. The media especially in todays world will make this almost unreadable everyday. My advice don’t read it let this play itself out on the field.
    GO JETS!!!!

10. By wayne on May 11, 2012 | Reply

Like I said before the off season started, GQ needed to get buff and gruff. If Tebow has got him working harder, I’m all for that. When everyone was saying how GQ was working hard, I said the opposite right here and called for competition when even the HC said it wasnt needed. Being strong will show up in his play. He’ll be able to stand in on the rush a little longer…….Might not be as cute on magazine covers……………………………………………….Bigger stronger should have same affect on Mcknight………………………………..R.M……………..

11. By kw65fan on May 11, 2012 | Reply

Well, lets see in the pre-season how training camp works out. Sick already with the interviews between TT and Sanchize….”oh everything is GREAT”…GREAT to be here….Things are going GREAT….We are GREAT friends…and its only May. Stomach is turning with all this phoney comebacks.
    come on Sanchize…just say it …”You wanna kick his *** on the field and show the coaches whose #1. Make him sit. Or else McElroy will show you both up…

12. By kw65fan on May 11, 2012 | Reply

Happy to see McKnight putting his work in. third year Joe….now or never…have to continue to produce on Special Teams but also be a force out of the backfield as a receiver on 3rd downs. Hopefully you will be a very bright spot on this roster.

13. By uncle joe on May 11, 2012 | Reply

Yeah McKnight, and love the Revis quote. Sounds like the Jets collectively are eager to make us forget about last year. Just got a real good feeling about this season. We needed to go back before we can go foward to make this team closer and stronger and dumping Shotty was big breath of fresh air.

14. By uncle joe on May 11, 2012 | Reply

I think Shotty’s system was too complicated for players to just use their athletic abilities and just PLAY football. Sporano seams too be more brute strength then finess and I think players like Ducasse will greatly benefit from that.

15. By uncle joe on May 11, 2012 | Reply

Was there ever a team that had the Defensive and Offensive Rookie of the year in the same season? Hill, Q or Davis,,,I’m feeling it! Throw in Defensive and Offensive Player of the years with Revis and,Oh Yes Tebow and a SuperBowl ring,,,I’m aiming high,I’m Aiming High! Happy Mother’s Day to every Mother in our Jet Family,treat them special from this Mother’s day to the next!

16. By SCfromNY on May 11, 2012 | Reply

To “uncle joe” i read your post and thought that if it came true it would be fantastic. But reality set in and I would advise you to be careful with your meds.

17. By GaryC on May 11, 2012 | Reply

Look,I will know that Sanchez wants to be a leader when Holmes does his stupid airplane dance after a touchdown and Sanchez isn’t following him from behind doing the same stupid thing.That will show more leadership than anything else he does.

18. By uncle joe on May 11, 2012 | Reply

Thanks ScfromNY, I usually skip the meds on Fridays so I can have a few drinks. I Love Hunter saying Whether people like it or not,he is starting RT. Good for you Hunter, I might be one of the only fans who remember how great you were in our Championship playoff run,the WHOLE TEAM was slumping last year,last year’s problems I think are gonna make this team stronger and BETTER than the last THREE seasons. My Team is BACK BABY!!!!!

19. By scjoe on May 11, 2012 | Reply

Spicer, that 29 YPC avg that Hill had in college can be deceiving. Why? Because with only 28 catches, if he happened to get 2 or 3 catches where he broke for 80 yds or more that will reflect those numbers. Besides, as I stated to 64, don’t believe for one minute that his size or speed guarantee anything. Remember Clowney and Allison? They had speed to burn, how did that work out? Hill had only 49 catches in his entire college career, and he didn’t exactly play in the SEC either. Why wouldn’t an OC utilize that size and speed no matter what offense they ran?

20. By kleckofan on May 11, 2012 | Reply

garyC- love the “don’t follow Holmes’ airplane” idea about sanchez, very true. There are times I watch Sanchez and have to remind myself I’m not watching a high school senior, very immature. Drawing mustaches on the photos on Schotty’s desk is all fine and good, but I want a leader at QB, not a jokester or thin-skinned cry baby. All the current talk about players’ feelings when the front office courts another player (ex manning) is galling; you’re being paid millions of dollars to play..get out there and play!

21. By scjoe on May 11, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, I hope I see many of those stupid airplane dances by Holmes, and I really wouldn’t care if Sanchez runs down the field to follow him or if he flys down the field, as long as those TDs keep coming. The multi million dollar question is “exactly how many of those “stupid” airplane dances will we actually get to see?” Or if there will be any by a WR not named Santonio Holmes.

22. By scjoe on May 11, 2012 | Reply

Ira, the reality of the situation is, no matter what is written or said in the media, Sanchez will be looking over his shoulder on a consistent basis. He will have to, because no matter what has been said and what has been written, Tebow wants that starting job every bit as much as Sanchez does (maybe even more) So, how Sanchez handles that pressure, and how it is translated to the field will determine his fate a whole lot more then what is printed or said by the media. Maybe, just maybe, that is the master plan, one way or another.

23. By Karan on May 11, 2012 | Reply

I think joe mcknight will do really good things for us. He continues to progress. Definetly a keeper.

24. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on May 11, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, the Jets haven’t had a deep threat of any truly major consequence since Walker — unless you count Holmes, which Spicer doesn’t, and Edwards, who I suspect is done in the NFL. So if Hill has even a 10% chance of becoming a Walker-type WR within his first 3 yrs, it’s a risk well worth taking. Schilens has about a .000005 chance of ever resembling Walker on a football field, that’s for sure. Stop leading with fear and gamble a little, the Jets are going nowhere anyway until Rex starts seeing, or maybe just admitting to, how games are won in the NFL these days. And it’s not with Joe Flacco, ground and pound, and constant talk about Ray Lewis and Ed Reed when you have nobody on D that good except Revis.

25. By Jimmer on May 11, 2012 | Reply

kw65fan, I might be the only one here besides yourself that can see McElroy starting games this season. Anyone who missed his quick read/quick release wasn’t watching. Denver wanted him in the Tebow trade, we refused. So the front offices of 2 teams know the kid got something. Sparano has no issues replacing a struggling QB. Parcells was the coach the last time I felt ok with QB depth.

26. By Jimmer on May 11, 2012 | Reply

Vlad vs. Hunter is the true competition this off-season.

Hill’s catch numbers fall into this, and this category only. Of every pass completed last year, he caught 45% of them, all positions included.

Sanchez needs to be looking over his shoulder. He hasn’t been challenged for a starting job since college. It’s about time.

27. By Row on May 11, 2012 | Reply

Tebow threw for over 9200 yards in college. It’s not that he can’t throw, it was the fact the offensive coordinator decided to run the ball 50 times a game. Wake up guys. Sanchez was a distraction last year. Always apologizing for his efforts. Sometimes okay isn’t good enough. I am glad Tebow is here. As for Hill, he speaks for himself. (4.3, 6’4, 209) You can’t teach speed. I’d like to see someone get him the ball. I don’t care if it’s Mcnabb. Go Jets

…And by the way, we got two pass rushers this draft!!!

28. By scjoe on May 12, 2012 | Reply

Jimmer, all things considered I would love to see McElroy start at some point, but that don’t mean it IS going to happen. Not unless Sanchez goes down for the year, then Tebow goes down for the year as well, because that is the only way it will happen. GMs and HCs don’t look at it the same way fans do.

29. By scjoe on May 12, 2012 | Reply

64, Hill is not the only deep threat this team has had since Walker, there are those others you mentioned, Holmes and BE. Then there is Schilens, there was Clowney and there was Allison. Regardless of where they are now, how they were used, and what anybody thinks of them, they were, and in some cases still are “deep threats” and on the roster. The problem is, with Mark Sanchez at QB the deep threat and the deep passing game would be like trying to put a square peg into a round hole. Neither can work. The sooner “management” recognizes this the sooner they can address it.

30. By danny on May 12, 2012 | Reply

Tom Spicer well said about Hill. Not only will he catch deep balls he will open up Holmes and Keller underneath plus open up the rinning game by spreading the field and the threat of him catching 60yd bombs down the sideline. The OC at Georgia Tech was not changing his system to Hill’s abiltity because in college you don’t see that much with the quick turn around and kids leaving for the NFL. Also some coaches are thickheaded like Shotty and want there players to run there system instead of adapting to there players talents like all time great Bill Pacells was known for. I think Hill will help us so many ways and catching 50 balls is not the only important thing it’s what he does for our whole offense and other teams defensive game plans

31. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on May 13, 2012 | Reply

By deep threats, scjoe, I meant guys who’ve actually played, not Clowney, Allison, and their ilk. But I agree that we have to get serious about a QB who can throw long and accurately consistently and successful and that we’re going nowhere until we do.

32. By scjoe on May 13, 2012 | Reply

danny, if you are a 6’4″ 220lb WR and run a 4.3 40, AND you are proven by way of production in a major college program, you are probably looking at top overall pick in the draft. That being said, why would Hill go to, or stay at GT knowing what type of offense they run? If that were me, and I had those credentials, I would be headed for the most prolific passing offense in division I. Why didn’t hill? This player had 49 total receptions in his college career. Put the two together.

33. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on May 13, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, you’re crossing over into the land of the irrational and the obsessed, looking for every possible reason Hill might be a bust. I think if you’re hungry to find possible busts, you might look no further than our #1 and #2 QBs. But seriously, stop beating the dead horse about Schilens having anything like Hill’s potential, it all starts with a HC who understands passing, the QB, and the OL. It might take little more than Sparano at HC to develop Hill’s potential. You bring up Clowney and Allison as if it wasn’t Rex who had no idea how to use them.

34. By joe on May 13, 2012 | Reply

SANCHEZ -TEBOW HMMM lets consider the issue basically it equates to WHAT DECK CABIN DO YOU GUYS THINK WAS BETTER ON THE TITANTIC .AS far as the locker room ECT EVERYTHING IS GREAT KNOW.lETS SEE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SANCHEZ STARTS TO DO FOOLISH THINGS WITH THE FOOTBALL.Half of the city (including the team )will be calling for TEBOW.Stay tuned the train wreck known as the 2012 NY JETS WILL BE LEAVING THE STATION SHORTLY.

35. By joe on May 13, 2012 | Reply

PS as far as our wideouts ITS A SHAME THAT DUE TO OUR QB SENERIO WE WILL NEVER EVER BE ABLE TO TELL WHAT THEY ARE CAPABLE OF .Look at SANTONIO he LOOKS LIKE A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PLAYER HERE THAN HE DID AT PITTSBURGH .Publically he claims its THE DIFFERENCE IN ABILITY BETWEEN ROTHESBURGER AND SANCHEZ GO FIGURE

36. By Frank from NY on May 14, 2012 | Reply

To Row, Tebow had under a 50% completion rating, the dudes not accurate, he threw for those yards cause teams played the option, not the pass. And ScJoe, he stayed at GT because he liked the area, and he is one of few receivers that enjoy run blocking. Demarious Thomas played in the same offense, and he looks to be doing just fine at WR. The impact he makes by making teams play with a safety over the top to defend not only his great speed but also his size, helps the team simply by opening the running game, and slowing down the pass rush. Start thinking with your head and stop being so pessimistic. You act like this franchise is in the dump, when most of us see that this franchise is almost better than its ever been.

37. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on May 14, 2012 | Reply

I’ll agree with you today, Frank, about this weird crusade scjoe’s on against Hill. The very fact that Hill played at the same school as Thomas and Johnson is reason enough right there for a team as pathetic in the passing game as the Jets to draft him! And a thumbs-up to you too, joe, for saying what I always say about Santonio Holmes was never known for 5-yd slants over the middle until he became a Jet. What I resent about people who make too big a deal about Holmes’ attitude problems is that they conveniently tiptoe around the fact that he and probably every WR on the team knows they could be doing much better on at least half the teams in the NFL. Say what you want about Plax, he didn’t sugarcoat that one.

38. By scjoe on May 14, 2012 | Reply

Well Frank from NY, I must be reading and posting on a different web site then you are, because I see a pretty even split here re: the state of the NY Jets. You say I am pessimistic because I offer my opinion on a team moving up in the 2nd round, giving up draft picks in a year when they need all they can get, for a guy who had 49 total receptions in his college career? THAT translates in to my thinking the “whole team” is down in the dumps? All of this when you just got finished bashing Tebow to begin your post? WOW, talk about being Hippocratic.

39. By scjoe on May 14, 2012 | Reply

64, a crusade against Hill? Irrational? Obsessed? You can say that after I have stated repeatedly that this has nothing to with Hill personally, or as a player. It has everything to do with the NY Jets philosophy when it comes to drafting and filling obvious needs with luxury picks? You know, pretty much like you have been doing over the past year or two? Wouldn’t that make you irrational and obsessed as well?

40. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on May 14, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, what I find irrational is the notion that Schilens, basically a nothing backup who was lucky to be drafted at all, should be mentioned in the same paragraph as Hill, who graded out as a #1 pick and fell to #2, which is why we traded up for him. What I find obsessive is pressing the fantasy about Schilens as a genuine rival to Hill for playing time when it’s obvious that Hill is gonna get every chance to start and shine and Schilens will be lucky to catch 10 passes all yr.

41. By Frank from NY on May 14, 2012 | Reply

ScJoe, I stated tebow is not an accurate passer, I like what he can do with the ball in his hands though, and I unlike yourself I recognize that with the tebow package it will be almost entirely option oriented, and your complaining that we drafted a physical freak in the second round that some people had a first round grade on. Who by the way came from a option oriented offense in college, so he can block, run deep routes, and do more for this team than just catch some balls. You question the jets drafting over the years, but we have brought in many quality starters via the draft, since Mike T took over. As far as the Tebow thing again, he is here to convert third and short, and create touchdowns in the redzone.

42. By Frank from NY on May 14, 2012 | Reply

Another thing ScJoe, you make such a stink about the hill pick, but you don’t bother to look at the big picture, they jets drafted two quality safeties that can push for either starting or backup rolls in Jarret Bush and Allen. I live in NC these days and have seen both of them play in person, they can both be an upgrade over smith in time, and add depth to our secondary. Then you ignore the fact that our third round pick will be a future replacement for bart scott but knows how to rush the passer from the outside. Then if you want to talk about our O-line, im really feeling that Vlad Ducasse can take over or push Wayne hunter to play like he was a couple years ago when he made us forget about the injury to Woody.

43. By scjoe on May 14, 2012 | Reply

Frank from NY, just in case you are one of those who dwell on typos, I meant to say hypocritical.

44. By scjoe on May 14, 2012 | Reply

64, you still continue to make this about Hill vs Schilens. I don’t know how I can possibly put this into it’s proper context so that you will understand that is not what it is all about, at least not for me. I have posted repeatedly about filling obvious needs, so that isn’t working, I repeatedly posted about the fact we already had the same type receiver on the roster before the draft, that hasn’t worked. So I am really at a loss for words right now. But, as long as you mentioned it, what we have here is TWO big tall fast WRs who BOTH have proven nothing at the pro level. Where they were drafted “right now” means squat!

45. By scjoe on May 14, 2012 | Reply

Frank from NY, you made a post to me about my making a “stink” over the Hill pick, (which I have explained to 64 a million times already, see above post) Now, you throw in the rest of the draft which I have commented on very little. I agreed with the Coples pick, The book is still open on the Davis pick, although there is no denying he is undersized for a 3-4 LB. The 6th rd picks are what they are, 6th rd picks. They may turn out to be gold as you predict, then again they may not. Maybe your crystal ball is much clearer then mine on the safety’s, on Hill, on Ducasse, and on everything, but I don’t think so. So for now, you have your opinions, and I have mine. Stay tuned.

46. By scjoe on May 14, 2012 | Reply

Frank from NY, you described Hill as a “physical freak” and that may be true, but the fact is there have been literally 100s of “physical freaks” at just about every position who have totally failed at the pro level. So, if you are basing all that optimism on that fact alone you could be in for a major surprise, although, based on past history, it would not be a surprise to me.

47. By joe on May 14, 2012 | Reply

LOL LOL LOL LOOK WHAT CIRCUS THE SAME OLD JETS HAVE CREATED HALF the fans on this forum are for TEBOW the other half for SANCHEZ .Boys its MAY and look whats going on.As i previously posted WAIT UNTILL SANCHEZ DOES SOMETHING STUPID WITH THE FOOTBALL and see what happens

48. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on May 14, 2012 | Reply

If you’re giving up these absurd claims of Schilens being any kind of factor on this team, scjoe, that’s welcome news. As for why we even bothered to sign Schilen for $1 mil if we were planning to draft a WR in the first 2 or 3 rounds, well, I’m still trying to figure out why we bothered to pick up Tebow, much less Stanton, much less renew Sanchez’s contract, much less renew Hunter’s…

49. By ron alexander on May 15, 2012 | Reply

Frank, S.C.Joe and Joe have done a good job documening what a lousey job Mr.Tannenbaum has done drafting players. Grant you Revis is the real deal and certianly Mangold and Brick are also good but there were a lot of other teams that knew they were good too. Tannenbaum has traded away so many pic’s over the years its hard to count.Sanchez and Shonn Greene while good players were traded up for and the jury is still out on both of them. The problem is all the busts Tanny picked likeGholston,Ducasse,and most recently Kendrick Ellis last year. Hey, theres plenty more but I’m sure you get the point! Lets not put Tannenbaum in Canton.Hopefully this years pix will be better

50. By scjoe on May 15, 2012 | Reply

Well said Ron. I think TBaum’s record of drafting, and trading, are right out there in front of all Jet fans to see for them selves. Revis, Harris, Brick and Mangold were solid picks, no denying that. BUT, we are talking about a 6 or 7 year period at least, where TBaum was in charge. Is 4 or 5 solid picks during that time good enough? Is it really a good track record during that time? Look at the Bengals recent drafts, that is a club that has a scouting department about half the size of the NY Jets. If that. So, is it the scouting dept not doing there job, or is it the GM stubbornly going in his own direction regardless of their findings. You be the judge.

51. By joe on May 15, 2012 | Reply

RON i could see drafting GHOLSTEN BUT HOW WHEN YOU SPEND MILLIONS OF DOLLARS IN SCOUTING could ANY TEAM POSSIBLY draft DUCCASSE with a second round pick The guy PLAYED D2 OFTEN LINING UP OVER GUARDS THAT WERE 220 LBS .The competition he played against was LIGHT YEATS INFERIOR TO ANYTHING IN THE NFL The only guard EVER drafted so high from D2s WAS LARRY ALLEN and LARRY ALLEN WAS QUITE SIMPLY POSSIBLY THE BADDEST DUDE WHO EVER PLAYED IN THE NFL Every person i ever knew that played against LARRY said he was the MOST PHYSICALLY IMPOSING FIGURE IN NFL HISTORY CASE CLOSED

52. By Frank from NY on May 15, 2012 | Reply

Brick, Mangold, Rhodes ( Before we traded him ), Leon Washington, Revis, Wilson, David Harris, Sione Pouha, Mike Devito as an UDFA, John Connor, Kerley, Keller. All players drafted under Mike T, all started and contributed a lot. Now you want to talk about Ducasse and Ellis, Ducasse came from a D2 college and everyone knew he would be a project, this will be the year to know if he is something or not, and as for Ellis most NT don’t make an impact in there first year. You can complain about Mike T’s aggressive drafting style but we have done better drafting quality players than almost half the league, no way are we in the top 5 but it is much better than it has in the past.

53. By joe on May 15, 2012 | Reply

Frank AS PER THE Nfl network with only 3 DRAFTED PRO BOWLERS ON THE ROOSTER THE JETS ARE AMOUNG THE WORST DRAFTING TEAMS IN NFL.In perspective THE PATS HAVE 9 AND THE STEELERS 8 INTURN IF THE PLAYERS CONTRIBUTED ALOT why no PRO BOWLS .WERE A 500 TEAM THAT DIDNT BEAT A WINNING TEAM ALL YEAR FOR A REASON

54. By joe on May 15, 2012 | Reply

MORE SPECIFIC DRAFTING DATA EVERY TEAM that made the playoffs LAST YEAR HAD A MIN OF 6 DRAFTED PRO BOWLERS ON THE ROSTER (2x more than we do .)IN ALL ACTUALITY how can WE EVEN DREA ABMOUT BEATING THE PATS AS THEY HAVE DRAFTED 3X THE AMOUT OF ALL STAT PLAYERS (ESP AT QB )THAN WE HAVE

55. By scjoe on May 15, 2012 | Reply

Frank from NY, of all the others you mentioned above, besides Revis, Mangold, Harris and Brick, the only one I would agree on is Pouha. He was a solid 3rd round pick, Kerley also has a chance to become a solid pick, but of course the jury is still out on that one too.I think Joe put the Duccase pick in to perspective above, and Ellis? Well, they knew about all that baggage before they made the pick. There is a strong possibility they get absolutely nothing out of that pick. Conner? I think that was a wasted pick, a FB is one position that can be picked up late in the draft or in free agency.

56. By stupidheimer on May 16, 2012 | Reply

Why do you place such importance on players who make the “Pro Bowl”? It is not a gauge of player performance. If you haven’t heard they are about to do away with the Pro Bowl? How are you going to grade players when there is no pro bowl?

57. By joe on May 16, 2012 | Reply

SC JOE it comes down to reality and alot of these guys just dont wat to accept it .If these drafts were any good then the players would be in the PRO BOWL.We also would not be a 500 team who hasnt beaten a team with a winning record since 2010.We also would not have brough TEBOW IN HERE to challange our 25 year old franchise qb who WE TRADED -WASTED DRAFT PICKS TO GET JUST 2 YEARS AGO

58. By davetharave on May 17, 2012 | Reply

Maybe he liked the grits in the GT caf …

59. By joe on May 18, 2012 | Reply

STUPIDHEIMER making the pro bowl is not a guage of PLAYER PERFORMANCE YOUR KIDDING RIGHT .Give me a list of NFL PLAYERS that were outstanding that DIDNT PLAY IN THE PRO BOWL Every NFL PLAYER in the league has an incentive clause (PUT BY THEIR AGENTS IN THEIR CONTRACTS )THATS PREDICATED UPON MAKING THE PRO BOWL.Its the standard that all NFL PLAYERS ARE JUDGED BY

60. By joe on May 18, 2012 | Reply

ps STUPIDHEIMER your also confusing THE PRO BOWL GAME ITSELF WITH THE TITLE PRO BOWLER The league wants to do away with THE GAME ITSELF (AS ITS TERRIBLE) THE TITLE PRO BOWLER will stand as A MARK OF EXCELLANCE

61. By scjoe on May 19, 2012 | Reply

stupidheimer, even if they do scrap the pro bowl the top echelon players would still be referred to as “all pro” similar to baseball players being “all stars” actual playing of the game notwithstanding. It certainly is a tool for players to be gauged.

62. By ron alexander on May 21, 2012 | Reply

Frank, are you freak’n kidd’n? You want to defend Tannenbaum? Dude, your boy has had the opportunity to draft 49 players based on 7 picks per year x 7 years as gm. he has traded away 8 off those picks for Sanchez,Green,Cromartie and Kerley. Are any of those guys stars? How do you justify Ducasse,Gholston, Clemens,Schlegal,or Eric Ainge, not to mention a dozen others he drafted who made absoloutely zero contribution to this team? And how about the lousey job he did assembling last years team with no safty’s, no r.tackle,no pass rushers,no O.line depth, no t.e.depth, and does any body have a more useless set of linebackers than we do? Come on dude???

63. By joe on May 22, 2012 | Reply

Ron in all actuality if someone WHO NEVER SAW AN AMERICAN FOOTBALL BEFORE bought a SPORTING NEWS GUIDE to the NFL DRAFT 10 MINUTES BEFORE THE DRAFT they could EASILY do a better job than TANNENBAUM has done .MILLIONS of dollars in SCOUTING JUST WASTED DRAFT PICKS GIVEN AWAY .This is why were a 500 team Teams like the PATS and STEELERS draft and or sign FA that GO TO THE PRO BOWL .We draft average to below arerage players

64. By chris long time fan on May 23, 2012 | Reply

ms 47 games 80 turnovers himself with a 6.4 avg. passing we need a quarter back.

65. By SOCALJET on May 23, 2012 | Reply

Instead of asking SANCHEZ about Tebow,and Tebow about SANCHEZ,they should ask each offensive -linemen about each other;each week of the season,to see who missed blocks and who didn’t PROTECT their QB…

66. By Jake98660 on May 24, 2012 | Reply

Can Damien Woody come out of retirment to fill in at RT again? please!

67. By Jake98660 on May 24, 2012 | Reply

Sanchez to Edwards followed by the game winner- Sanchez to Homes in that 2011 home game against the Texans, that is proof enough for me that Sanchez is a better QB and leader then Tebow is. Maybe if we got Mark a decent RT and LG he wouldn’t get layed out every time the opposing D brings an edge rusher on a speed rush. Right now ‘Brick is getting left out to dry because Slauson gets lost in the Zone blocking scheme and Hunter gets beat by most D ends with any speed at all resulting in pressure from both sides on any given play. How is Sanchez suppost to deal with that?

68. By The Truth Hurts Jets Fans... on May 28, 2012 | Reply

I am Bemused and Bewildered by the Myopic optimism of Jets Fans on this Blog… The Jets are on their way to having the Worst record of any AFC team in our Division… And possibly the LEAGUE! The Jets Record Belies how bad they were as a team last year because of their Pillow Soft Schedual. However this Year they will be Finished by Mid season and this is a near certinty! The Defense of the Jets was good last year but still gave up points in the second half because of lack of depth and age. This problem has not been resolved and has only been exasorbated by another dubious draft by Mike T. Couples does not play the 4-3, And the AFC plays a Quick offense that gets rid of the ball fast… Neutralizing the need for an DT like Couples.

69. By The Truth Hurts Jets Fans... on May 28, 2012 | Reply

Cont…. Hill was a great choice, But like all the Draft Picks After Him… He is too raw and inexperienced to contribute much in this Seminal Season for the Jets. The Final Gauntlet will Fall on the Mike T and Rex Ryan Era By the Time the Jets Get to game 7. The Schedual is simply Too TOUGH for Mark Sanchez! He did not get the same help Alex Smith Got in San Fransisco. An unproven Hill and Holmes is not enough of a Threat when SANCHES is throwing them the ball. The Jets simply had too much holes to fill to make pertinent moves. Rookie Safties and DTs are not going to win you games in this arduous division. The Dolphins will be a challenge for this anemic offense. Greene is not fast and Hill is not battletested. The Patriots will Mutilate,

70. By The Truth Hurts Jets Fans... on May 28, 2012 | Reply

cont 2, RAVISH! And VAPORIZE the Jets… Seriously… What the Pats did to the Broncos in the Playoffs, Thats what they will do to the Jets by Half time to the Jets because they still fail to realize that the team leader is Revis not Sanchize, and He has lost faith in the Jets because they fail to see the Obvious! The OFFENSE IS NOT GOING TO WIN ANY GAME THIS YEAR! ITS THE DEFENSE THAT WILL!