• Thu., Oct. 23, 2014 2:00 PM - 2:15 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the meda following practice.
  • Thu., Oct. 23, 2014 3:30 PM EDT Live Press Conference: Coordinators Jets Coordinators Thomas McGaughey, Marty Mornhinweg, Dennis Thurman will address the media.
  • Thu., Oct. 23, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Fri., Oct. 24, 2014 1:25 PM - 1:40 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Fri., Oct. 24, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Sat., Oct. 25, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Inside the Jets

• Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Extra Point - Only on SNY

• Wed., Oct. 29, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

Hunter’s in a Connecticut State of Mind These Days

Posted by Randy Lange on May 16, 2012 – 3:43 pm

There’s definitely a little something about the Nutmeg State that is adding spice to Washington State native Wayne Hunter’s game.

Offensive coordinator Tony Sparano, for example, has talked highly about what he wants to get this year out of Hunter, the Jets’ right tackle. And Hunter appreciates Sparano’s appreciation.

“Tony knows I can play the position,” Hunter said. “Everybody knows I can play the position or else I wouldn’t be the right tackle here. They would’ve brought in somebody else by now. The fact of the matter is that Tony believes in me and I believe in myself.”

Sparano, as we’ve become familiar, was born in West Haven, Conn., was a four-year center at the University of New Haven and went on to become the head coach there.

He’s also is a big fan of OL coach Dave DeGuglielmo.

“I love him. I think it’s a good change for me,” Hunter said. “Nastiness — an offensive lineman should have that. And I think I lost a little of that over the years. I think ‘Guge’ is going to restore that for me and light a fire under my butt. He’s going to push me out the door.”

DeGuglielmo was a Boston guy but he spent a few years coaching at UConn before moving on to the pros.

And Hunter likens Coach Guge to someone else he respects in his life.

“He’s exactly like my offensive line coach in college at Hawai’i, Mike Cavanaugh, who’s with Oregon State now,” he said.

Cavanaugh … born and bred in Connecticut, graduated from Southern Connecticut State.

We mention Wayne’s Conn-ection as an interesting note, but Hunter isn’t just relying on his coaches to rebound from 2011. He’s doing a lot of the heavy lifting himself. We won’t know for sure until he and his Jets linemates and teammates hit the field for minicamp in mid-June and training camp in August, but it feels as if Hunter has a great attitude for ’12. He knows he needs to step up but he hasn’t lost faith in himself.

“I think there’s a lot of stuff that I need to get better at,” he said a week ago in the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center locker room. “I’m still the starting right tackle for the New York Jets. That hasn’t changed and it’s not going to change. I know my play’s got to get better. I had a lot of good games — a lot of good games. I also had some bad games. Inconsistency was my word for the year. So that needs to get better and it will get better.”

Today he sounded a similar theme.

“In my opinion, the opinion of my peers and the opinion of a lot of people in this league, I’m one of the more talented right tackles in the league,” he said. “I’ve just got to put it on the field. Last year is already in the past.”

“My job right now,” he concluded, “is just to get better, and also to just win the fans back.”

Get better, get nastier, grind away at the opponents like he did at the end of the 2010 season — that will win the fans back and underscore his belief in himself.

Shonn on Sparano

Add tailback Shonn Greene’s comment to the list of quotes about what Sparano has brought to the Jets. What does Shonn like about his new OC? “I think just his passion, his style of coaching,” Greene said. “He’s very loud. He’s demanding — in a good way. He just makes you want to work that much harder.”

Eagles Kickoff

For any who missed it and want to mark it on their calendars, the Jets’ preseason finale at Philadelphia on Thursday, Aug. 30, will kick off at 6:35 p.m. ET.

Tags: , , ,

79 Responses to “Hunter’s in a Connecticut State of Mind These Days”

1. By scjoe on May 16, 2012 | Reply

It’s nice to hear about Hunter, Sparano, Conn. former coaches, blah,blah, blah. But the bottom line is this guy simply could not play the RT position last year. If he has corrected all of his shortcomings, increased his strength, improved his blocking assignments, his technique, etc. Then that is fine. But they better have a contingency plan ready just in case, because this guy was out and out bad!

2. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on May 16, 2012 | Reply

Sanchez is really gonna have to bring it if this keeps up. From, of all places, The Wall Street Journal: “Darrelle Revis says Tim Tebow is a “born leader” who shows passion in everything he does — even when the New York Jets backup QB is “eating lunch.” The All-Pro CB has been impressed with how Tebow has fit right in with his new teammates after being acquired from Denver in March. Revis says he has noticed that Tebow has “the gift” of being able to lead and does so by example all the time. Revis adds that Tebow has the “it” factor and teammates see his passion “all the time … eating lunch.”

3. By wayne on May 16, 2012 | Reply

How can ANYBODY a guy named Wayne……..It’s impossible……..HEHEHEHEHE…….Fix the issues Mr. Hunter, you’re giving Chrebet and me a bad name.

4. By JACK 39 on May 16, 2012 | Reply

I just hope they are right about Wayne Hunter and they are making the right move by bring him back and making him the starter at RT, I’m having doubt hunter and I don’t feel he good enough to played RT, and IF he failed next season playing at RT, not only Wayne Hunter should be release but Mike Tannenbaum better be fired for not addressing offesive lines went he said that he would do so after the 2011 season had ended.

5. By IRA on May 17, 2012 | Reply

Hey i am in Wayne’s corner too. I bought into his play when he filled in for Woody back in 2010 and thought they were set. Maybe they did want to replace him or still do and i still think they will bring in a veteran to compete with him or are building him up in the papers so they could trade him. Who knows? But if they can get him to play like he did in 2010 i am on board with him.
    Wayne go get him and prove everybody wrong!!!!!
    Randy,
    Thanks for the headups with that starting time. I have found those Eagle preseason games to be a lot of fun and they usually have great plays in them by players that don’t even make it like Lankster’s INT for a 67 yd TD last year or Bollinger’s amazing 4th qt comeback in 04.

6. By Frank on May 17, 2012 | Reply

All the comments the players are making is my biggest complaint amongst many about Ryan he is not a head coach. He shouldn’t be looking for his OC to be the disciplinarian.
    64 and Spicer the two football simpletons who don’t understand the nuances of the game and focus on stats read what Revis said yesterday about Tebow. Sanchize-Not is NOT a leader I said it last year that C on his shirt is a joke and the players know it. I said it when we got him Tebow is tough mentally, a leader, a winner and ELEVATES the players around him something Sanchize-not the coddled one ldoesn’t do.
    No doubt Sanchize-not is going to wilt under the pressure and Tebow will be the starter before long.
    Teeeeeeeeeeeebooooooooowwwwwww Whooooooooaaaaaaa!!!!
    I Love it!

7. By GaryC on May 17, 2012 | Reply

never seen an organization that puts down its starting quarterback in public like this jet team does,what about all the garbage about keeping it in house.I guess with the jets depending on who is doing what,it stays in house.

8. By scjoe on May 17, 2012 | Reply

Ira, yes he “filled in” admirably for Woody in 2010. But all you have to do is look at the 2011 game tapes, when he was the starter, and they will tell you all you need to know. As I mentioned above, we can only hope that he has worked on, and corrected his shortcomings during the off season, because there seems to be no contingency plan in place. Aside from a couple of the b/s from last years roster I see no indication it can be anyone except Hunter, and if this blows up, it is bye,bye, TBaum, and deservingly so.

9. By scjoe on May 17, 2012 | Reply

64, I think everyone knew about Tebow’s intangibles coming in. It was the body of work as a pure passer that had everyone worried, and as I said to Spicer, it is pretty encouraging to hear all of the coaches raving about his improvement in all aspects of his passing. Of course we wont know how much improvement until real time, but me personally? I am more encouraged each time I hear a coach or another player speak out. Joe Willie? Well, he is not in the building, so I tend to take the comments from within more seriously.

10. By Allan O'Dane on May 17, 2012 | Reply

Wayne….summon your inner Polynesian pride and prove me and everybody else wrong. RT is a major issue. Vlad is not ready…Hunter is are only hope right now….

And whatever Frank is drinking…send me a case…..I think Frank is really Skip Bayless from ESPN first take….

11. By robertpapalia on May 17, 2012 | Reply

This Hunter thing saying he has the rt slot all wraped up is crazy. The Jets` season could unravel if one or more of their qbs gets hurt. The Jets really need to bring in another right tackle for a contingency if nothing else. Otherwise the season could be in jeopardy with one missed block. And who will take the blame for that one?

12. By TimtKohl on May 17, 2012 | Reply

This scares me, too things we needed this year a big TE covering safety and a right tackle, Laron Landry is a great addition, but he doesnt cover anybody. RT Vernon Carey is still out there. Wayne was terrible and I dont ever remember him having a good game? Im no NFL coach and I trust the Jets front office but if Hunter is more of the same….

13. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on May 17, 2012 | Reply

Considering how Spicer has obliterated you with facts in every post of his while you just say useless things like “Teeeeeebooooooowwwwww Whooooaaaaaa!!, Frank, I’m in pretty good company to be talked about alongside him. But one of the “nuances of the game” is touch when throwing the ball and that can’t even be addressed with Tebow, who misses guys by 5 yds. That doesn’t mean I think Sanchez is necessarily the guy, as everyone here has heard me say. But until Tebow can put more than 18 pts a game on the board and throw better than I did in 9th grade, your comments will be nothing more than mild comic relief.

14. By kleckofan on May 17, 2012 | Reply

Randy- what is the status with Rob Turner, is he in the OL mix?
    If “wayne” thinks Hunter is giving him and Chrebet a bad name how should I feel being a CT native? How does Hunter go from being a superstar back-up against Pittsburgh during the playoffs to a veritable swinging door as a starter in 2011? We have lots of undrafted FA and low round rookies on the roster, but I am not near convinced that the problem is solved (Ducasse, really?). I get the Tebow leadership thing, but if he is our starter at some point then we are cooked. I understand the power of positive thinking on others, be it Christian or Buddhist. I like the guy, like the runner…hate the QB.

15. By Randy Lange on May 17, 2012 | Reply

kleckofan, Rob Turner is in the OL mix in St. Louis. The Rams signed him in late March and he’s being reported to be competing for the starting LG job.

16. By scjoe on May 17, 2012 | Reply

Spicer, re: Ellis from my earlier post. I have just read an article that states Ellis has agreed to a plea deal down to a battery charge that will not include deportation. He will have to serve a 90 day jail term (hopefully a suspended sentence) THEN, (and this is the part I don’t agree with because this incident happened when he was still in school) he will be subject to NFL discipline. If that is the case, he will basically be in the same situation as last season coming in. Randy, can the NFL take action against a player who was till in school when he was accused of the infraction?

17. By Randy Lange on May 17, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, the NFL suspended Terrelle Pryor for five games at the beginning of last season for infractions while he was still enrolled at Ohio State, so I guess the short answer is yes. However, I have heard nothing regarding Kenrick Ellis’ legal situation.

18. By kleckofan on May 17, 2012 | Reply

Thanks for the info on Rob Turner, Randy, must have missed that one here in the NW. Now that I know, it is yet another head scratcher…I’d rather have a known quantity, albeit returning from injury, than an Undrafted FA. Hunter talks like he’s drinking the same KoolAid as Rex-tanny. Positive attitude is a great force, but it is also an opportunity to engage in delusional thinking. Does Hunter get to see film? I can’t tell you how many phone calls I got from my father in CT howling about how incompetent Hunter was. If Callahan, who is supposed to be among the best, couldn’t “coach him up”, what makes the FO think a new guy can. I’d point to ethnicity rather than geography…maybe the new Italian regime can do what the Irish couldn’t!

19. By scjoe on May 17, 2012 | Reply

There is one point that none of us have addressed yet, to my knowledge anyway, and that is, if/when Tebow becomes the full time starter guess who will “protecting” his blind side? Look no further then the recipient of this article. What a thought. Thanks for that info Randy. It hardly seems fair, but policy is policy I suppose.

20. By wayne on May 17, 2012 | Reply

I think he’s gonna have a bounce back year, But I can see them grabbing a bargain basement vet just in case.

21. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on May 17, 2012 | Reply

When management doesn’t manage: Artie says Yeremiah Bell’s “mystery team” is the Jets and that Bell and Landry with Bush and Allen backing up and learning the pro game is a big improvement over Smith, Leonhard, and Pool (and of course that hardest-working guy on the team, Tracey Wilson, right, Rex?) But I told Artie that aside from drafting Griffin this a team that hasn’t brought in anyone new at RT tackle or a backup C (and we cut the Great O’Dowd!) or anyone at LG if Slauson can’t play 100% fast enough this yr. Bell’s 34 and a 1-yr deal for about what Leonhard would command sounds okay to me, but what about Smith’s deal, does it get downgraded? Or does he get unloaded? Mr T and Rex behind the curve again…

22. By IRA on May 18, 2012 | Reply

I really thought Turner was so valuable and not having him last year hurt. And while i would’ve loved to see the Jets resign him i think Schlauderaff will step into Turner’s role. Getting back to Hunter’s 2011 season. The #’s don’t lie however i feel a lot of this was an overalll breakdown of the OL that led to some of Hunter’s problems. I really think Sparano and DeGuglielmo will get this fixed.

23. By GaryC on May 18, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, let ellis serve his time if he has too.you want to suspend sentence for betterment of jets,please,this guy will be thinking of his 90 days of incarcement while on the field,not something that bodes well for his play.Hone up and let him do his time.

24. By IRA on May 18, 2012 | Reply

Bell would be a nice p/u he avg over 100 tackles per season the past 4 years. Still that would leave them with Bell, Landry and smith all SS’s. They still need a FS. Guess they will see what Bush and Allen can do before they look for a veteran to roam the field. The other are just too slow in deep coverage.

25. By scjoe on May 18, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, well, I guess I’m just a selfish guy. Besides, I am not a big believer of rehabilitation through incarceration. All you have to do is read the papers, watch the local news, look around you. IT DON’T WORK!!!!

26. By scjoe on May 18, 2012 | Reply

64, I look at your post above and I am thinking, hey, isn’t that exactly what I have been debating 64 about for the past couple of weeks? Why take a WR at #2 when there are so many more obvious needs? GaryC stated that there haven’t been to many RTs that led the league in scoring, I countered that with, right, but there haven’t been to many WRs that have kept the QB upright either during that time. So which is it?

27. By Karan on May 18, 2012 | Reply

Could this be the beginning of the end for Mark Sanchez? I certainly hope not, but the way the media keeps portraying everything, it seems like it is. I just want these guys to bring out the best in each other, win ball games and work as a unit. As long as the Sanchez is the starter, and Tebow is the back-up who plays HB, TE, PP and FB, I’m happy. By the way, welcome on board Yeremihi Bell, hope your expierence aids our two rookie safeties. I’m assuming this means the Jets will not re-sign Jim Leonhard. I would’nt mind if we signed a linebacker, a punter to compete with TJ and some depth of this O-line. I’m still lobbying for Edwards, but lets see what Hill brings to the table.

28. By Tom Spicer on May 18, 2012 | Reply

Frank, For you to say I focus on stats is a joke for 3 years you harped on these stats. 1 Mark is a 56% passer 2 Mark is a middle ranked QB 3 Marks number of turnovers. But you ingore the fact that Mark had the 4th most total TDS in the entire NFL. Than cause you are one of these Tebow freaks NOW ALL OF A SUDDEN stats dont matter? REALLY Tim MR. 46% Tebow is a 46% percent passer, the least accurate QB I have ever seen in my life, you said Marks mechanics are bad well Tebows are REALLY BAD, you talk about pocket presence Tebow has none. So for you to focus on all these things with Mark but to ignore them with Tebow shows you are not being fair. Honestly I would be embarssed if I were you.

29. By IRA on May 18, 2012 | Reply

Karan, Even though they used a 2nd rd pick on Hill and i have high expectations for him i still would like them to sign Edwards if he is healthy. Not sure he would want to come back to the Jets knowing he would have to split time with Hill. Reports are Cincy wants him and he would start right away and get a good bulk of the work.

30. By Karan on May 18, 2012 | Reply

Right on, spicer :D

31. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on May 18, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, no one would deny that we need OL help at the moment. We need that now almost as much as we’ve needed…a All-Pro scary deep threat for the last 25 years. Spicer, I’M embarrassed FOR Frank!

32. By GaryC on May 18, 2012 | Reply

so scjoe, what you are saying if ellis keeps getting his jail time suspended the jets might get a career out of him before he serves any time.that will be good enough for you.

33. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on May 18, 2012 | Reply

It’s true we still don’t have a true veteran FS, Ira, though hopefully Allen can develop into that. But another good thing about picking up Bell is that it means we can all drop this bizarre fantasy that Leonhard was ever big, fast, or strong enough to start at S in this league. Hire him as a coach. Artie’s crowing today about how many guys we’re replacing this yr. I assume he means on D since I’m told we have to worry about Mark working with new WRs no matter how good they are. Tebow’s no way a good enough passer for me now but if he gets there first, fine with me. I can think of worse things in 2013 than Sparano at HC, Tebow at starting QB, and a lot of Rex’s sentimental favorites off the team in favor of better, younger, faster guys.

34. By wayne on May 19, 2012 | Reply

Karen, this is all about how GQ handles pressure. Problem is he’s not proven to handle it well so far. It’s why he starts games so poorly. He hasn’t handle any part of THE ARRIVAL well. He can’t even keep his feelings disguised. He shows, to this point, an incredible lack of poise in every situation..And we all know about his decision making…..I would love for this QB to step into this thing and become THE GUY, but I have strong doubts…Very doubtful that this QB can be broken down and rebuilt. Don’t believe his psyche can survive it…….Know Spicer won’t get this, it doesn’t involve stats, but, you can’t measure what’s in heart and head and its affect other guys…..GQ’s #s may mirror Eli’s somewhat, but that’s where similarity ends.

35. By wayne on May 19, 2012 | Reply

IT’S PROVING TIME FOR GQ……..And Tim Tebow won’t personally do anything to cause THE STARTER’S undoing. Tim Tebow is not that kind of person…..I don’t have to know him personally to know that. I understand where and what he comes from….You’re taught to do what you do for *****. Not for personal glorification, not for the praise of man. The pressure won’t get to him. There is none……..Put this in Mark Sanchez and he’d be a different kind of QB……………………Would that Timmy could straighten out that delivery………Problem is that I think his problem has similarities to McNabb….Never liked that he kept getting bigger and bigger….I’d get frustrated watching him throw balls into ground in front of open WRs.

36. By jetsfan80 on May 19, 2012 | Reply

Karan, I think Sanchez will excel in this situation. Will he be perfect like everyone seems to expect? No. But competitors shine when they feel competition. And though I don’t see Tebow as a better QB than MS, he is better than #8. With Tebow and McElroy peeking over his shoulder, MS will show us what he is made of this year. Either he folds like a cheap tent or he improves. If the line protects him in this system, I say he shines. Tom 64, I love the 9th grade comment. That’s good stuff…and so true. Tebow has got to fix that before anyone puts him at the top of any QB list in this league. But I do love the competitive fire and his ability to will others to play harder. As I’ve been saying about D, fix the pass rush…safeties will be fine

37. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on May 19, 2012 | Reply

Bottom line, jetsfan80, is I just want an elite QB on this team, Latino, born-again Christian, or Zoroastrian!

38. By scjoe on May 19, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, I don’t know what you just said above, or where it came from. So, let me make it crystal clear what I am saying.1-They should have never selected him in the first place, knowing what baggage he brings!!! 2-Since they did draft him, I for one would like to see him contribute. He can’t contribute from a jail cell. And 3-Going to jail, in this guys case would be useless, because you either learn from your mistakes very early on in the process,(which I hope this guy did) OR, you don’t learn at all. That is history speaking, not me. Would love to hear your response, but I am leaving for vacation tomorrow, so post it toward the end of the week.

39. By Frank on May 19, 2012 | Reply

Spicer and 64 you must be talking about Sanchize-Not who has no touch and is the one who misses recievers by 5 yards. Fact Tebow is a significantly better passer downfield than Sanchize-Not. who had 2 passes over 40 yards last year Tebow did that in one playoff game. Tebow was 5 Td’s 1 Int on passes over 20 yards Sanchize -not was 1 td 6 ints absolutely horrific. The players voted Tebow top 100 Sanchize-Not where? who? what? Oh by the way Tebow no int’s to defensive lineman Sanchize-not 2 in one game. Spicer your right we should keep track of stats Sanchize-Not one of the worst rated starting QB over the last 3 years.
    I never heard Revis give any praise to Sanchize-Not about leadership over the last 3 years. Sanchize-Not Not!!!!

40. By Frank on May 19, 2012 | Reply

Its funny no one on the team or the media thinks Sanchize-Not has the back-bone to be a leader. He is as fragile as they come and I said it before he has held this team back the last three years and unlike Tebow he does not elevate the players around him. Only ignorant fools who don’t understand the game will try to trash Tebow.
    Nothing but praise coming from Kerley, Revis, Scott, Sparano….I will listen to those guys and the players of the NFL.
    Its real simple may the best player win….my money is on Teeeeeeeeeeeboooowwwwww Whooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaa!
    Get used to it boys and girls!!

41. By Tom Spicer on May 19, 2012 | Reply

Well Bell is in the fold I would say that Landry & Bell is a way better saftey combo than Lenohard & Smith. So we 100% improved in that spot.

42. By Tom Spicer on May 19, 2012 | Reply

Wayne, Your right “you can’t measure what’s in heart and head and its affect other guys” of a person. But you can have the biggest heart in the world & you can have the most positive attitude in the world. At the end of the day if you dont have the basic skills to get the job done in the end it wont matter. Yes if Tim MR.46% Tebow takes Marks job for a few games the team will rally around him & we will win a few games it happens everytime there is a QB or head coach changing but at the end of the season when we play a real team we will get slapped by reality. Than the next year when the switch is no longer new & you find out the new guy is worse than the old guy. Get ready to have to start from square 1 all over again.

43. By Tom Spicer on May 19, 2012 | Reply

My best friend & the god father of my daugther is a Bronco fan John Elway is his hero. I also have another life long friend who is a Bronco fan. Because of this fact I have watched a ton of Bronco games. Both of them say Tebow stinks & I feel the same he is not a NFL QB. You will never win a Super Bowl in the NFL with Tebow as your QB my 11 year old nephew runs the same offense as Tebow in his pee wee league. Do you know why they run that offense? Because they cant pass the ball on a consitant basis the same way Tebow can not pass the ball on a consistant basis. With a good O line, running game & D you can win a Super Bowl with Mark it was proven in his 1st 2 years. You can not 100% EVER win 1 with Tebow as your starting QB. Pray Mark keeps

44. By Tom Spicer on May 19, 2012 | Reply

his job cause if not we are in BIG trouble.

45. By joeyjets12fla on May 20, 2012 | Reply

hey randy sorry if my question has been answered but having trouble with my screen can just barely read your blog and the comments are a complete blur. anyway whats with the transactions info the last signing i’m seeing is the 8th of may with the signing og of simms.

46. By Randy Lange on May 20, 2012 | Reply

joeyjets12fla, the Yeremiah Bell and Terrence Campbell signings are now listed at the top of the Transactions menu.

47. By wayne on May 20, 2012 | Reply

TomSpicer, I DO NOT WANT OR EXPECT TIM TEBOW TO BEAT OUT YOUR QB…..NOR DO I EXPECT GQ TO BE PERFECT…..He’s have a problem being adequate right now..I want the NY Jets to have themselves a QB that can throw a pass consistently to HIS receivers…..This QB has not done that well enough. And in my opinion the primary reason for that is he has not applied himself as much to his job as he has to the celebrity scene…He will not get Eli’s results because he has not used Eli’s approach..Now, if Jets or anyone could straighten out that LITTLE problem Tebow has, I would surely be rooting for him to replace Mr. Mark Sanchez because his unmeasurables are definitely off the chart.I wanted Jets to bring in someone who could take GQ’s job. Not TT.

48. By Jon on May 20, 2012 | Reply

I met Wayne while he was working out in Bellevue, WA. I assure you that the guy is in Beast Mode this year.

49. By IRA on May 20, 2012 | Reply

Going with a tandem of Bell and Landry would be a huge mistake. They will get burnt they can’t cover over 15 yds and teams will exploit them. I won’t believe they start together until i see it vs the Bills. My guess is the starting FS is not on the roster yet unless Bush can win that spot.

50. By Tom Spicer on May 20, 2012 | Reply

I would also like to add that Tim MR.46 % Tebow is a walking turnover with 19 turnovers in 11 starts last year 13 fumbles & 6 picks. He is terrible he threw for over 194 yards 2 times all of last year. He is high school like with his cockeyed throws!

51. By Tom Spicer on May 20, 2012 | Reply

Frank, Will try to sugar coat it & select specific stats to downgrade Mark but do anything & everything to ignore the facts about Mr. 46% Tim Tebow he throws like a 9th grader. He had 13 fumbles in 11 games he is a turnover machine. Demarius Thomas his #1 WR was happy to see him leave. Tim MR. 46% Tebow had 18 total TDS last year. Mark had 32 total TDS last year with 1 good WR & a o line where both guards & the center were hurt. Mark also had the worst starting right tackle in football & no running game where Tim MR.46% Tebow had a dominate running game. Merril Hoge the NFL analyst said he has never EVER seen anyone more overated than Tim MR.46% Tebow. He said he has never seen someone get so much credit for doing so little.

52. By Tom Spicer on May 20, 2012 | Reply

The Jets only need to do 2 things & they can compete for a championship this year 1 Get a better right tackle & 2 Get rid of Tim Tebow he will only hurt the development of the QB that we already have & stunt his growth. Also stall drives when he comes in the game with his 3 yards & a cloud of dust offense.

53. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on May 20, 2012 | Reply

Frank, I lean toward Spicer in terms of the stats on Sanchez vs. Tebow. But as my post above indicates, I don’t care who the elite QB is as long as we stop kidding ourselves and get one FAST! If Tebow can throw better short and medium — like you say, he already throws pretty well long — than Sanchez and become our version of Ben R, I’m all for it. This team has gotta stop kidding itself about the importance of the passing game, and I think Rex’s likely exit in favor of Sparano would go a long way toward making that change happen as well.

54. By Ablity on May 21, 2012 | Reply

When did Revis start talking so much, i remember all this guy use to do is shut down recievers and stayed quiet, now he is barely shutting down recievers and running his mouth, MarkS shouldn’t have to prove anything, any Jets fan with any sense should know that the headcoach and the front office took the Jets from a playoffs team to 8-8, MarkS had little to do with this, Fanca said it when he was leaving, “Idk why they want to change something that’s working,” We had the best offensive line in the leauge, very good running game, and we traded these things for a hopeful pocket passing game. Rex Ryan has changed very much since he came here, no more fire blitz, no more bread and butter running game, losing two camp games in a row can do that

55. By Ablity on May 21, 2012 | Reply

All i have to say to wayne hunter is i remember the Brick and Revis first years, they were not very good, Although i hoped that we had picked up a LINEMAN this off season, I know hard work will make a player out of any man, I hope you been working hard Wayne

56. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on May 21, 2012 | Reply

One point I TOTALLY agree with you on, Frank, is that Sanchez doesn’t improve the players around him, or at least hasn’t so far, which everyone should know is the true standard of greatness. Oscar Robertson (high school, college, Olympic, NBA champion) was asked if Kobe was “the greatest ever.” A shocked Big O replied, “Greatest EVER?! He’s not even GREAT yet! You’re not GREAT until you make everyone around you better!” MS not only hasn’t made everyone around him better, he’s reduced Holmes to J-Co in an off-yr. This has to stop and I don’t care whether it’s Tebow, McElroy, Barkley, or the first female QB in NFL history who stops it, just get it done!

57. By GaryC on May 21, 2012 | Reply

look,you can’t make chicken salad out of chicken feathers,Hunter is as good as he is going to get,he was a college free agent,how much talent do you think he has,the only help he can get is if the tightend lines up on his side and can chip the defensive end or you will see a repeat of last year,schladeraff or howard cannot be much worse.

58. By IRA on May 21, 2012 | Reply

Ablity,
    Yes Rex did make changes in the offense last year and it failed for many reasons. They need to get back to what they did in 09 and 10. Trouble is unless you have a shutdown D you can’t go to the big dance with a run heavy offense. The NFL has changed not for the better into a passing league and soon it will become like Arena football. So to me the pressure is on the D to have a good year. This team doesn’t have the players to be a big time passing team. Efficient yes and thats what i expect from Sanchez this year. Give him a good running game and he will play well. He can not carry a team by himself. He has shown he can win the big games and i hope he responds well once they really get it started.
    GO JETS!!!!

59. By wayne on May 21, 2012 | Reply

TSpice, you sound as afraid of Tebow as does GQ. HEHEHE. NO NEED TO WORRY…..JUST PRODUCE… LEAD..He had the keys to the kingdom, given the crown and just like Saul didn’t know how to handle it..Then little David(Tim) came along. David wasn’t the air apparent. He was there to caddy for Saul, but many in the kingdom spoke glowingly of Tim, eh, I mean David. This drove Saul nuts!!! His every thought was of Tim, eh, I mean David.Timmy will not touch the head of the anointed one…The question is, will the king lose his head, and with it his crown….The intrigue this summer is going to be can’t miss tv…..Not worried about GQ losing his job. That would lead to some mgt changes that someone with digits in his moniker has been hoping for.

60. By wayne on May 21, 2012 | Reply

TSpice, I do admire your dedication to this QB, but never before has any QB in the NFL’s success been linked to a RT…..I thought it was the blindside guys that get paid the big bucks…….Why was GQ unable to make any adjustments? You mean to tell me he couldn’t see the rush coming? Or was it that when the rush came he simply folded?. THIS WAS THE HELPSIDE TACKLE!!!!! Teams don’t draft them high….What the draft says is, the Jets didn’t believe that RT was the problem…That puts the onus back on the QB……It’s the RT for pete sake. They’re almost as replaceable as blocking TEs…Jets are saying to GQ stand up like a man in front of that rush and make plays…..How many times have we seen Brady nullify a hard charging pass rusher?

61. By 40 year fan on May 21, 2012 | Reply

Turner better step it up , the last thing anyone wants to see is Vlad out there …

62. By joe on May 21, 2012 | Reply

BOYS COME ON TEBOW- SANCHEZ your basically FIGHTING OVER WHOS GOT THE BEST DECK CABIN ON THE TITANTIC Neither one of them are remotely capable of leading this team to a sb victory unless of course PAYTON MANNING ,ELI MANNING ,BEN ROTHESBURGER ,DREW BREES,TOM BRADY, AARON ROGERS,MATT STAFFORD all decide to retire this year .As far as Hunter hes bad so what .You could have the best RT in football here AND WE still aint winning the SB .The NINERS got a ton more talent than we do with an avg game manager at QB .They won 15 games last year and STILL TRIED TO GET PAYTON

63. By Tom Spicer on May 21, 2012 | Reply

Wayne, I wish there wasnt a David or a Saul & just 1 really good QB. But I guess not this season is going to be bad REALLY BAD! Also I was the #1 guy on this site saying get Peyton but it didnt happen what can I do.

64. By joe on May 21, 2012 | Reply

pS i dont care about the about the HC.,OC ECT .I dont care any position on this team BECAUSE THERE IS NO ELITE LEVEL QB WHICH MAKES PLAYING FOOTBALL IN TODAYS NFL IRREVELANT.Until we get a NEW REGIME in here that can get someone with pro bowl level ability at the QB POSITION we GOT ABSOLUTIVELY POSITIVELY NO SHOT AT THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS IN THE NFL WINNING THE SB Every year BASICALLY PITTS,NE, NO ,NY, GIANTS GB FLIP FLOP LOMBARDIS (THIS YEAR ADD DENVER )I WONDER WHY

65. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on May 21, 2012 | Reply

Ira, you’re negotiating against yourself, furiously trying to convince yourself that the teams that have been going to and winning the Super Bowl by way of strong passing attacks are somehow wrong or bad for the game or traitors or whatever. But all that comes across is that you’ll defend the Jets to the death no matter how backward or unproductive they are. This is conduct unbecoming the status of a Number One Fan. In fact, if you wanted to undermine the Jets, you could do no better than to spout this kind of nonsense. Wake up and accept the fact that we haven’t had an explosive O since the O’Brien/Walker game against MIA and the sooner we get back to that, the better our chances of winning a Super Bowl will be.

66. By JACK 39 on May 21, 2012 | Reply

I wouldn’t mind if the Jets make a trade for Kellen Winlow as he can block too.

67. By JACK 39 on May 21, 2012 | Reply

I wouldn’t mind if the Jets make a trade for Kellen Winlow as long he can block too.

68. By GaryC on May 22, 2012 | Reply

Ira, you are the eternal optimist and you say the jets don’t have a big time offense,I believe it can be with Holmes,Hill,Keller and improvement from Sanchez and a more physical and in better shape McKnight,do not forget,possibly cumberland and improvement in the line.I am the one who usually sits on the fence,in a wait and see mode,but looks like I am more optimistic then the most optimistic.

69. By GaryC on May 22, 2012 | Reply

As an appendage to my previous statements,not having shotty around is an extra touchdown a game as I see it.

70. By joe on May 22, 2012 | Reply

PS as far as a TRUE SHUTDOWN D there is ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY NO SUCH THING IN THE NFL TODAY.The rules changes have done away with it Guys please enough with the football logic FROM 20 YEARS AGO .NO TEAM CAN BALL CONTROL and possibly expect their D to hold offences like the GIANTS SAINTS PACKS ect on a BASIS CONSISTANT ENOUGH TO WIN THE SB .Rex is going to TRY to do this because GIVEN OUR PERSONAL (LACK OF AN ELITE QB )IT GIVES US THE BEST CHANCE TO WIN .LOL had REX gotten Payton TO COME HERE TRUST ME HE WOULDNT BE WORRYING ABOUT TRYING TO CONTROL THE CLOCK ECT

71. By joe on May 22, 2012 | Reply

ps LAST year IN THE playoffs HOW DID TEBOW make out RUNNING A BALL CONTROL OFFENCE against TOM BRADY and the PATS. Denver had a PRETTY GOOD D AS IT ONLY LET UP 44 TO BRADY Trbow -Sanchez need 10 minutes to score while THE BRADYS ,BREES MANNINGS ECT NEED 4 PLAYS Once a BALL CONTROL TEAM IS DOWN BY 10 POINTS THE GAMES OVER

72. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on May 22, 2012 | Reply

No doubt about it, joe, Tebow needs a ton of work to start on the Jets, much less to start in a Super Bowl. Problem is, going into his 4th yr Sanchez still looks like he needs a lotta work, too.

73. By IRA on May 23, 2012 | Reply

Tom, The 98 team had a very explosive offense avg 26 pts a game. Too bad they fell short in Denver that year. Just too many mistakes that cost them a trip to the SB.
    Gary, To me a big time offense is the Pats, the Colts a few years back, Packers and Saints. We just don’t have that type of offense. Do i feel they have the players to produce about 21 pts a game? Yes i do you know i think Keller is one of the better TE’s in the NFL, Holmes is a top 10 WR when he is on, McKnight the athletic ability is there he needs to make the right reads to be able to produce. Hill he is a rookie and needs time to learn and thats why i have him at 35 catches or so. Year two Hill will have a breakout season. It will come down to the play of the OL and the QB

74. By joe on May 23, 2012 | Reply

Tom i always look at HISTORY and how it interacts with specific results George Seiffort ,Jimmy Johnson Mike Shannohan LOOKED like the second coming of LOMBARDI when their first teams had HOF QBS Their second time (DIFFERENT TEAMS )totally different result Mike Martz GREAT OC (running GREATEST SHOW ON TURF )HOWS HE DOING WITHOUT K WARNER .All year last year i HEARD TOM MOORE what happened .Tom EVERY one of my buudys that played in the NFL LAUGHS at the notion that fans think at the NFL LEVEL one coach knows more xs and os than another.Coaches win SB because their personal departments get the best players for them If ELI MANNING ever got hurt see how many games the Giants would win

75. By joe on May 23, 2012 | Reply

TWENTY one points game NE PATS SAINTS GIANTS score that in 3 quarters You want a SB win today you MUST AVG 30 PLUS POINTS BECAUSE ITS IMPOSSIBLE TO STOP THE ELITE QBS ON A CONSISTANT ENOUGH BASIS TO WIN THE SB I dont care who you got on D it aint happening UNLESS THE NFL CHANGES RULES BACK. We have AN average AT BEST QUARTERBACK .The SF 49 are BUILT THE EXACT SAME WAY WE ARE ONLY WITH MUCH ,MUCH BETTER PLAYERS.They won 15 games last year YET WAVED 90 MILLION IN FRONT OF PAYTON

76. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on May 23, 2012 | Reply

That’s almost like a statistical error, Ira, citing ONE yr since ’88 or so when we had what YOU call an explosive O — one that scores 26 pts a game. Well, 26 pts a game today is about what you need to go 8-8, as teams like NE, GB, NO, and PIT prove. You’re fighting to stay true to every inch of your denial but the truth is, we’ve been a joke on O for decades now. Better to admit it and address it than live in Rex’s 10-7dreamworld. (Remember, he’s the guy who blamed THE DEFENSE when we lost 10-6 to MIA!)

77. By joe on May 24, 2012 | Reply

Tom LOL 26 POINTS A GAME thats funny .Many times last year i think BRADY AND BRESS DiD THAN IN A HALF

78. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on May 24, 2012 | Reply

Yeah, joe, to Jet fans who never saw Joe Namath or Wesley Walker, 26 pts a game is some kind of miracle. What surprises me is that Ira should know better.

79. By joe on May 25, 2012 | Reply

Tom year in year out the PITTS STEELERS HAVE THE BEST D IN FOOTBALL The Steelers have 6 pro bowlers on that d (AT LEAST 2 HOF )The Steelers cant get away WITH BALL CONTROL FOOTBALL but were going to.In the SB 2 years ago their d (always ranked 1 )GOT LIT UP BY AARON ROGERS.I REALIZE WHY REX is doing this (SANCHEZ LIMITATIONS AT QB MAKE HIM A LIABILITY IF HE HAS TO THROW-TURNOVERS)BUT in no way is it possible to win the SB TODAY BY PLAYING 80S BALL CONTROL We play and ny team with an elite qb and once were down by 10 THE GAMES COMPLETELY OVER .