• Wed., Sep. 03, 2014 2:15 PM - 2:30 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Thu., Sep. 04, 2014 2:00 PM - 2:15 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Thu., Sep. 04, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Thu., Sep. 04, 2014 10:00 PM - 10:30 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Fri., Sep. 05, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Fri., Sep. 05, 2014 1:25 PM - 1:40 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Sat., Sep. 06, 2014 7:30 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Sun., Sep. 07, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Live Jets Post Game: Raiders at Jets Reactions and on-field interviews with Jets players immediately following every Jets game
  • Sun., Sep. 07, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Live Jets Post Game: Raiders at Jets Reactions and on-field interviews with Jets players immediately following every Jets game

Bell Picking Things Up Quickly in Deep Middle

Posted by Randy Lange on May 24, 2012 – 4:42 pm

A few Dolphins have gotten transplants much further north up I-95 with the Jets in recent years. The newest former ‘Fin, safety Yeremiah Bell, made sure he touched base with one of the crossover players that went before him, linebacker Jason Taylor, before making the change from aqua and coral to green and white.

“Yeah, I did talk with Jason a little bit. He told me this is a great organization. He told me I’d be a great fit,” Bell said after today’s OTA practice at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center. “And I think I am a really good fit. I know how the defense has been since Rex has been here. He’s a guy you want to play for. A coach like that,  he can make you better.

“I just look at it that this is a great situation for me. Everybody here has welcomed me with opened arms.”

Bell even got a housewarming gift from newer Jet Tim Tebow, who was never a Dolphin but who has been a lifelong Floridian. In 7-on-7 drills in the fieldhouse (due to thunderstorms passing through the area), Tebow threw a pass over the middle. Bell, still wearing his familiar No. 37, opened his arms and closed them around the ball for an interception.

It’s only one throw and catch during a May practice so we can’t read a whole lot into the play. But Bell, who’s been known to be a tackling machine after four straight 100-tackle seasons in the Miami secondary, is eager to show he can patrol the deep middle as well.

“I think I’m both,” the well-built 6’0″, 205-pounder said of how he can play the position. “In Miami I was more of a box player, required more to tackle than in coverage. Here it’s a mixture. And I’m really looking forward to coming back and playing in coverage. There’s going to be a lot more opportunities, and hopefully a lot more interceptions.”

That’s because Bell noted the “special guys we have on the outside” in his new secondary, such as Darrelle Revis, Antonio Cromartie and Kyle Wilson.

“In Miami we had a bunch of young cornerbacks I had to stay on top of,” he said. “Here, they’re telling me what to do out there.”

How the safety spot will shake out with holdovers Eric Smith and Tracy Wilson, unrestricted free agent LaRon Landry (not at the OTA), and draft picks Josh Bush and Antonio Allen remains to be seen.

“The thing about LaRon, obviously he had a significant injury, no question about that,” Ryan said at his news conference this afternoon. “But we’re excited to get him up to speed. Hopefully by training camp he’ll be ready to go. I’m not sure medically when he’ll be cleared but certainly he has the physical attributes you look for and that’ll be exciting to get out there.

“But right now I’m really excited with Yeremiah Bell and Eric Smith out there. Yeremiah had one day [of practice], not even. Dennis [Thurman]‘s sitting back there saying, ‘I’ll make sure you’re getting it all in there,’ and Bell says, ‘No, please, don’t. Eric and I will handle it.’ That’s really exciting to see. Yeremiah’s an outstanding player so I like the looks of the first group with Yeremiah and Eric.”

As far as holding that starting role when Landry returns, Bell said that in coming to the Jets, “That wasn’t a factor. I want to come in and earn my position. At the same time, I want to come in and compete.”

And one more thing from Bell for the future: “I can tell you I’m looking forward to playing the Dolphins.”

Two Early Spotlights

Ryan opened his news conference by talking about two players he’s “really excited about.” Both are defensive players, one who’s been around the block a few times and another who’s entering his second season — linebacker Bart Scott and end Muhammad Wilkerson.

“Bart’s ready to be Bart Scott,” Ryan said. “I think Bart would tell you he had kind of a disappointing season last year, just like I would tell you I had a disappointing season last year. But he’s had a great offseason. The fighting spirit Bart has, you really see it out there. It’s evident. So he’s a guy that’s jumping out at me.”

As for Wilkerson, Ryan said, “This guy’s going to write his own ticket. You see the jump he’s making. The great ones challenge themselves every day. Darrelle Revis is a perfect example. He’s trying to get better every single day, even though he’s at the top. Muhammad Wilkerson had a fine first year and he’s taken off from there. It’s exciting for a coach to see that.”

Rex Cetera

Ryan took the Jets’ OTA practice indoors after the lightning siren on top of the building sounded a warning as storms passed through the North Jersey area. Indoors, Sanchez was on target in 7-on-7 drills, hitting Jeremy Kerley (twice), Dustin Keller and Chaz Schilens.

“Sanchez is throwing the ball really well. He’s got a live arm with a lot of zip on it,” Ryan noted.

Then Tebow came in to hit WR Patrick Turner on the skinny post but followed that with interceptions to Scott in the short zone and Bell deeper over the middle.

“You make bad plays, you put that behind you and move on. I feel that’s what I did,” Tebow said with his unfailing smile. “Those were good plays by Yeremiah and Bart. I’m sure I’ll hear a lot about it from Bart.”

Others not at practice besides Landry were Cromartie and WR Santonio Holmes. Cro and Tone were both excused for personal reasons. Also, LB David Harris was sidelined with “a little bit of a calf strain.”

Meanwhile, making his first appearance in a Jets uniform was fullback Fui Vakapuna, signed Wednesday.

And on the sidelines for the second day of were Urban Meyer and his Ohio State coaching staff. Obviously Meyer and his coaches with Florida connections renewed acquaintances with Tebow. But Everett Withers, the Buckeyes’ assistant HC and co-defensive coordinator, was one of top draft pick Quinton Coples’ interim head coach at North Carolina last season.

OTAs continue with three practices in each of the next two weeks, followed by the full-squad minicamp in mid-June.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

32 Responses to “Bell Picking Things Up Quickly in Deep Middle”

1. By steven on May 24, 2012 | Reply

Bart Scott and Maybin and Couples are going to surprise a lot of people this year. The Giants showed the championship must go through the Defense. The Jets Defense is going to surprise everyone this year. The 46 is going to surprise everyone this year. Can’t wait to see the genuise of the Jets Defensive coachig staff. It should be embarassing the way the ravens embarrased the Jets last year. Should be fun to watch

2. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on May 24, 2012 | Reply

Rex is disappointing, period. And this idiotic focus on every move Tebow makes isn’t even fair to him — but it’s also exactly what this team didn’t need at the QB position.

3. By GaryC on May 24, 2012 | Reply

Bell better pick things up quickly,he is already 34.

4. By SCfromNY on May 24, 2012 | Reply

Good to Tebow intercepted with no pressure. He should be #3 QB not backup. Speaking of backup is McElroy getting any work so far?

5. By sal on May 24, 2012 | Reply

strange how it all works out, Who would of thought JT would praise the Jets let alone play for gang green, if they dont find another experinced Pass rusher, Mr. T may ask him for another go around.

6. By TONY GARCIA on May 24, 2012 | Reply

jets fan since 1969 I like what im seeing.

7. By punchie on May 25, 2012 | Reply

nice depth ,keep tham all and take less corners

8. By Eli Rodriguez on May 25, 2012 | Reply

MS is not threaten by TEBOW—cause he can beat TT. He’s more scare of GREG McELROY, who will learn the playbook faster than both of them.

Just a question—God forbid MS goes down—does TS or RR really trust TT. I’m only saying this because it would limit the offense or I’m wrong.

9. By IRA on May 25, 2012 | Reply

I was hoping they would sign Bell not to play deep but to play up front. Don’t know if Landry can stay healthy. I still think putting Bell back there is not the best move. I think Bell can do for the Jets what Victor Green did play hard nose football and make an impact but not in deep coverage. What Bell did say about the better CB’s the Jets have over the Fish does make sense. Hope he proves me wrong.
    Everybody have a Happy and Safe Holiday and GO JETS!!!!!

10. By GaryC on May 25, 2012 | Reply

Tebow threw an interception to Scott,can it get any worse,Scott is a totem pole and Tebow couldn’t avoid him.

11. By THUNDER LIPS on May 25, 2012 | Reply

nothing about Coples … not a good sign

12. By IRA on May 25, 2012 | Reply

Please its OTA’s don’t take what happens on the field too serious. Its nothing more than just installing plays and getting the newcomers up to speed so they are set to go for minicamp and really Cortland.
    Sal,
    The reason JT praised the Jets was because for a player they have the best facilty in the NFL and he should know since he played in the league for a long time and don’t forget he played in Wash too.

13. By wayne on May 25, 2012 | Reply

OTAs boys and girls….Tells us nothing……As for Tebow, we knew what he was a few months ago. You really expected an change over nite? That question could be directed at GQ as well…….He’s throwing 75 yarders now……Will he do that with a rush in his face? HAVE A HAPPY AND SAFE MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND. TO THOSE WHO SERVE AND HAVE SERVED**********THANK YOU***************

14. By GaryC on May 25, 2012 | Reply

ira,first of all vontae davis and sean smith are not chopped liver,and I would take either one over cromartie,so Bell is just trying to smooze the new team,and antonio allen should play that position of safety up near the line because that is his strength,all the more reason this bell signing sounds like something sparano wanted and asked rex and tanny to go after him.

15. By obewan on May 26, 2012 | Reply

all you fools don”t count Tim Tebow out after all he made the playoffs with a less of a team than the Jets and with a lot less offensive weapons and he also beat us. If we had Tim last year we would have made the Playoffs instead of mr clueless. I am 60 year old a long time Jet fan and I will not say Mark can not be a good quarterback but I never seen a quarterback so unaware of game situation, some like your leading by 3pts with 20 sec left before half on your your own 20, 30 yd line and you throw a pick six .
    I don”t totally have a problem with amount of pick or fumbles he had but the timing no understanding of the game.beside no forty yd passes very in accurate anyway I love the jets and still root for Mark and the whole teams

16. By Frank from NY on May 26, 2012 | Reply

Obewan, you say Tim T had less offensive weapons? He had a consistently strong running game, and an offense that was gameplanned to his strengths. He also had two big fast receivers in decker and thomas, the jets had holmes when he felt like playing and plaxico when he wasn’t being jammed at the line. Sanchez has had his struggles but last year was his first real failure, but its easily said the whole team failed. You can’t blame Mark for not taking chances downfield when all that was called was crossing routes and screen passes. Everyone is so quick to dismiss Sanchez as a franchise QB off of one season, I guess no one else remembers that when Rivers, Roethlisburger, Brees, Bradway, Brady, and many others leaned on the run while they learn

17. By russ on May 26, 2012 | Reply

Sanchez arm will reman strong until he get scked and pounded by porous OL, of course T bow will come in and inspire cheers until he throws 3 intercpetions every game and cant hit the third ddown pass ..etc etc…I like Tbow really but the finesse of a quarterback, I dont think so…

18. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on May 26, 2012 | Reply

Not only that, Frank, but the Denver D played at least as well and sometimes better than the Jet D last yr.

19. By Jake98660 on May 27, 2012 | Reply

I agree with Frank from NY, the broncos were leading the league in rushing or most of the season. The Broncos had one of the leagues best defenses, which was another huge reason why Tebow’s blunders went unpunished. Obewan, do you forget that Sanchez has won 4 road playoff games 3 of which were in Qualcom Stadium, lucas Oil Stadium, and the greatest of them all in Gillette stadium. Mark had a rough year but alot of that can be attributed to the poor play on the O-Line from the RT and LG spots. The Jets have been ignoring those positions since letting Fanica walk and the retirment of Woody. Hunter and Slauson are a huge reason for Sanchez’s struggles. does anyone acknowledge the fact that Mark can’t get any familuarity with any reciever…

20. By Jake98660 on May 27, 2012 | Reply

Think about this, Braylon… gone. J-Co, also gone this last season. sanchez’s longest relationship with a WR last season was Holmes. Holmes the guy who threw Sanchez under the bus and had to be benched in week 17. sturing the WR pot in free agency is one of the worst thing Tannenbaum has done. this plug and play game with the wide-outs every season has been a major reason for sanchez’s slow decline and some of his bad decisions. who is he supposed to trust if he gets hurried in the pocket ad has to trust his recievers to be there or understand what sanchez wants, they don’t know each other. keep the same WRs around Mark for a couple season and see what happens

21. By Eli Rodriguez on May 27, 2012 | Reply

FRANK, help me out didn’t Roethlisberger had a bad motorcycle accident and then an appendectomy in 2006—-is that the bad year, you talking about cause I must agree that’s a very bad year. All I know is that 4 of 5 guys you mention ONLY got better not worse. Yes an off year will happen but MS has reach his peak. He had to learn how to slide so he won’t kill—-had Burnell tutor him–call Chad pennington to help him out with TS system(which everyone saying is easy) and many more example. I’m sorry Frank I just don’t see it—-this is his last year here. That 20mil was his severance package. Hit the road MS and don’t you come back– no more. PS- if he proof me wrong–at the end of year–I’ll post it-that I was wrong.

22. By MEANGREEN on May 27, 2012 | Reply

WELL SAID FRANK FROM NY

23. By Fran'scan on May 28, 2012 | Reply

Eli, will you really post that you were wrong ? Thats very noble or you considering your position in the world. LOL. How bout you give your word never to post again. A much better alternative.
    Look forward to the season and hope Q proves you all wrong. Remember our veterans today, they are why we are all here. Go Jets.

24. By RickieNewYork on May 28, 2012 | Reply

Ira – you made me happy and sad at the same time with that post….. to mention Victor Green, one of my fav Jets (he works in the FO here for the bucs now btw) – but to say Green didnt cover the deep middle. Honestly – you dont picture Peyton Manning throwing that bullet to the endzone and Victor taking the int all the way out to mid-field? I think of that play EVERY time I hear his name. I hope you are right and Bell plays EXACTLY like Green did – because not only was VG a GREAT tackler , but he did come up with an int or two at those critical moments!!!!

25. By RickieNewYork on May 28, 2012 | Reply

Frank – the Broncos led the NFL in rushing because TT was a much more dangerous runner than passer, those 2 big WRs u mentioned – neither has been in league more than 2 yrs and their def – was in a div where every other teams lead RB was hurt ( charles, mcfadden, and mathews ). TT had the WORST comp % in the NFL – yes worse than MS. TT has terrible mechanics and once teams figured him out last year – he wasnt as good down the stretch. Yes he won ONE playoff game, MS won twice as many and an AFC champ game as a rookie. Sanchez is and always will be the better QB of the 2. As a fan, unless your goal is to sell newspapers, you should be talking about Sanchez too cuz he will win games and thats all that matters. BTW, Brees was benched in yr 3.

26. By RickieNewYork on May 28, 2012 | Reply

Jake made a good point about the WRs that left. We really missed Braylon. However I think some of the other things you said are a little off. Holmes was not taking plays off – and it wasnt for fighting with Sanchez that he got benched – it was for fighting with Wayne Hunter in the huddle. As u pointed out that was THE weak spot. Honestly, after last year, what Jets fan wouldnt JUMP at the opp to tell W Hunter what we think of him? Can u blame Holmes? BTW – Plax was NOT getting jammed at the line – he just COULDNT seperate anymore – he was effectively covered by 3rd and 4th CBs betwwen the 20s. I think we have a good group of WRs now, but Id still like to bring back bryalon for a year to help the young guys along. GO Jets!!!!!

27. By Eli Rodriguez on May 28, 2012 | Reply

Fran’scan, first of all thanks for the shout-out. As an active soldier finishing my second tour in Afghanistan………………… Honestly- Integrity and my trusted M4 is all I need. Funny you mention “considering my position in the world”, The answer to that is i think about that everyday with a smile and sand in my face. And although I can’t oblige you on never posting again, this I can promise- you can sleep well my brothers and sisters are on watch—even though I catch hell for being a Jets fan………lol

28. By Jake98660 on May 28, 2012 | Reply

Teddy Bruschi said it best about Jim leonhard on NFL live monday,” Best free agent left available”. you can never have enough veteran Safeties, especially playing in the AFC East. The bills will have a revitalzed passing game next year with Fred Jackson coming back, that team scares me because they have something to prove. And we all know what the situation is in New England and what has to happen in order to beat Brady and the Pats. Now that N.E signed Brandon Lloyd, we need as many cover guys we can sign. SIGN LEONHARD BEFORE NEW ENGLAND DOES!

29. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on May 28, 2012 | Reply

Yeah, Bart’s ready to be Bart, slow and overrated, talking too much and executing too little. Don’t be surprised to see Mr T go after Urlacher if he turns out to be serious about free agency, and Rex will do nothing but talk about how he’s one of the greatest LBs ever to play the game, even if at 35 he’s not quite the player he was a few years ago.

30. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on May 29, 2012 | Reply

Eli, THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR SERVICE and please keep in mind that we appreciate that thanks to folks like you, we Jet fans don’t live in some authoritarian state in which we’d all have to be Giant fans…or Patriot fans…or even Tebow fans (that last one has to prove it to me first, just like Sanchez does this year).

31. By Eli Rodriguez on May 29, 2012 | Reply

Correct again ’64……Just doing my part like those before me. Go Jets!

32. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Margaritas are on me once you’re back stateside and in L.A., Eli!