• Sun., May. 04, 2014 7:30PM - 8:00PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Thu., May. 08, 2014 12:00AM - 12:30AM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Thu., May. 08, 2014 2:00PM - 3:00PM EDT Live Jets Talk LIVE Draft Show Prior to 1st RD of NFL Draft
  • Thu., May. 08, 2014 6:30PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

• Sun., Jun. 08, 2014 7:30PM - 8:00PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sun., Jun. 15, 2014 7:00PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

DE Jay Richardson Accentuates the Positive

Posted by Randy Lange on June 6, 2012 – 12:03 pm

There are those NFL players who we might have some concerns about regarding their transition to life after football.

Jay Richardson is not one of them.

For one thing, he has just a great attitude about things. Take, for instance, his position as a street free agent defensive end signed by the Jets before April’s draft.

“I’m feeling great,” Richardson told me last week with the boundless energy of a genuinely positive person. “This is a wonderful team and organization. I was in Oakland for 3½ years and Oakland is a little different world. The Jets are a good team that has made the playoffs. They took the year off last year but they’re a great team with great character. People talked about a ‘circus atmosphere’ here but I haven’t seen that. It’s great here, a great group of guys.”

Jay knows a few of those guys better than others. He was on some strong Ohio State teams of the mid-2000s that also featured Buckeyes teammates Nick Mangold at center and Santonio Holmes at wideout.

Richardson also knows about having to take a year off. He did that in 2011. After those 3½ seasons in silver and black (during which he started 22 games and produced 81 tackles and seven sacks) and a half-season with Seattle, he became a free agent after the lockout was ended and couldn’t find another team at the time that wanted his services.

“Nobody called, but I kept busy,” he said. “I did a little world traveling, going to Switzerland and Italy. And I started my own insurance brokerage.”

He called it JR & Associates, and if you need an auto or homeowner’s quote or just want to see how smartly he’s set up his company online, you can click here.

Richardson also stayed in pro shape because, as he said, “I’d like to think I had decent production and I wasn’t done playing. I was happy to get the call from the Jets. My body feels amazing after the year off. I’m excited. And I love Coach [Karl] Dunbar. He’s a big 4-3 guy.”

Whether or not Rex Ryan, Mike Pettine and Dunbar, the Jets’ new DL coach, are going to incorporate more 4-3 into their scheme, Richardson has a shot to fit in. The 6’6″, 280-pound Ohioan, who’s got length and size similar to first-round rookie Quinton Coples, is fighting for a roster spot again, but this time on the East Coast. He’s in the end/tackle mix with Muhammad Wilkerson, Coples, Mike DeVito and Marcus Dixon.

There are no guarantees for JR, of course. The veteran minicamp next week will be important for him, as will training camp at SUNY Cortland in August. But in between those two events — actually right after the end of the minicamp — Richardson will have one more life-affirming personal event to preside over.

That’s the Mind, Body & Heart Youth Excellence Summit 2012, the annual life-skills camp for kids in the Dublin, Ohio, area staged by the Jay Richardson Foundation. The event is set for June 15-16 at Dublin Scioto High School, Richardson’s alma mater. If you’re a Jets follower, a Jay Richardson fan, or a kid who wants “assistance in developing a game plan for high school and college,” see the Website for what will undoubtedly be a positive experience.

Tags: , ,

29 Responses to “DE Jay Richardson Accentuates the Positive”

1. By IRA on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

Randy, Nice read about a guy that i think is flying under the radar. He has a shot to make this team.

2. By steven on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

I hope he makes the roster. He and Couples look good with their speed and size. The opponents won’t have a chance

3. By russ on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

His life skills are A+, wish him the best…

4. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

Richardson has some great qualities on the field and off the field. I am amazed that he was not called by any team prior to the Jets giving him a call. One problem he faces is going up against Ohian and first-round rookie Quinton Coples, is making the roster, but you never know. I agree with Richardson that the circus is over and that all the players are now setteling in and working hard. I feel our defense is going to be great this season. As for our offense, I will say this again, we have improved greatly in the running game which is going to help the passing game, if a team can gain yards on the ground (100+ per game) it will halp Sanchez in his game. We now have running backs capable of doing just that which includes “TEBOW”,

5. By BOB on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

What a feel good story! I wish him all the luck to make the roster.stay positive and great things will happen!

6. By Frankie on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

well you can’t say we dont have size on the d-line

7. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

Seems like there’s a new seriousness on the part of Rex and his staff about size, speed, AND sacks from the D line this yr. Don’t know if that’s Dunbar or what but it’s a step in the right direction, as would be more 4-3 and less of Pace and Thomas.

8. By jetken on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

Wow this may be the first time reading responses that no one said a negative word. Go Jets.

9. By MIKE on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

Jets haven’t had a guy come out of nowhere and surprise fans with there play for a while. Would be nice to see this guy do it.

Randy, where are the Safeties lining up? Who is playing FS? Is Eric Smith still the projected starting FS? I personally think he would be much better at SS but that position is stacked. Would be nice to see Josh Bush emerge at FS.

10. By Randy Lange on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

MIKE, sorry to get back to you late. On Thursday when I checked out the safeties, Eric Smith and Yeremiah Bell were with the first defense and Tracy Wilson and Josh Bush were running with the twos.

11. By Cliff - NJ on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

We need to get some pressure on the QB. If he can do that we’ll all love him. Good luck Jay!

12. By Charliejet on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

How refreshing! Good luck DE!

13. By IRA on Jun 7, 2012 | Reply

Very happy to see that A. Glenn was hired by the Jets to be a scout. Like i wrote a little earlier he is one of my favorite Jets and glad he is back.

14. By ron alexander on Jun 7, 2012 | Reply

Ira, I agree. Glenn was one of the best C.B’s we have ever had. probably top 5 at that posisition for the Jets. Class act. I hope this D.E. Richardson works out too. Hard to believe no one picked him up last year. Seems like his body of work is pretty solid? MIKE, I certianly hope Smith is not our starting strong safty. I think we are all tired of seeing him trot into the picture as the opponents convert a big first down or touchdown. Smith is a nice guy,a decent special teamer but hasn’t been effective since he got that concussion a few years ago. i’m thinking our eventual F.S. is not yet on this roster as both Bell and Landry are better know as run stoppers than passcoverage guys.

15. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jun 7, 2012 | Reply

Sorry to kill the positive buzz, jet ken, but I’m leaning toward trading this dude, we’re not winning the SB soon anyway and have time to rebuild the secondary: “Revis, 26, hinted as recently as last week that he might not report to training camp. He has 2 years, $13.5 million remaining on the 4-year, $46 million contract he signed after an acrimonious holdout during the 2010 preseason. The contract is frontloaded with Revis making $32.5 million in 2010 and 2011. Although he hasn’t complained publicly, he’d like to maintain that annual average over a long-term deal that allows him to finish his career with the Jets.” Let him finish his career on Seattle while we draft some young DBs who think about something other than money once in awhile.

16. By Allan O'Dane on Jun 7, 2012 | Reply

Welcome back A.Glenn. Great move NYJ FO. I don’t think we will see E.Smith in the starting lineup this year. If all falls into place Landry will be starting SS and Bell FS…we’ll see…

17. By IRA on Jun 7, 2012 | Reply

Ron,
    I would rate the top 5 in my opinion in this order.
    Revis, Glenn, Hasty, B. Jackson, and Beverly and Sample a toss up for the 5th spot. D Abraham could be included he just had a short career with the Jets so i couldn’t fit him in. I think M Coleman might have been the most gifted talent wise more so than Cro. Too bad he just couldn’t stay focused.

18. By Karan on Jun 7, 2012 | Reply

I agree with Jet Fan Tom, even though I think he should finish his career as a Jet, he definitely needs to cool down about this money situation. I mean its ridiculous, it could be his 2nd lockout in 2 years?? As great as these players are and Revis is an outstanding player, they really need to put their egos aside, you’re making more than enough money as it is, don’t let it come to a point where even the team gets sick of your demands and could potentially trade you. Even the fans then start to look at you differently.

19. By Karan on Jun 7, 2012 | Reply

It sounds like Yeremiah Bell is really dominating in practice, intercepted a couple of Sanchez and Tebow passes during these OTAs.

20. By SCfromNY on Jun 7, 2012 | Reply

The best thing that can happen to the defense this year is a better performance from the offense. Less 3 and outs so the defense can rest and not be gassed by the end of the game. A better defensive front will help our safeties

I am hoping for a turn a round from Sanchez and that lasts year’s performance, especially the mental part. He needs to stop sulking. His body language is a downer for the team.

21. By scjoe on Jun 7, 2012 | Reply

Ira, there hasn’t been a whole lot to speak of at the CB position over the years for the Jets, but I think Jerry Holmes and Johnny Lynn should fall in somewhere in your list above. At the very least, they stand out among ALL the rest.

22. By Charliejet on Jun 7, 2012 | Reply

Jet fan tom – agree with you on Revis. Enough is enough ( if it gets to that point).

23. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jun 7, 2012 | Reply

That’s right, Karan, Revis is doing the team no good at all acting like he’s the only one whose contract matters. I think we’re a few yrs from winning a SB at best anyway, so why not deal him now? To a team with no shot at even making the playoffs, too!

24. By IRA on Jun 8, 2012 | Reply

Revis as of now hasn’t done anything to the team but practice and show up for OTA’s and i would expect him to be at minicamp too. I don’t think he will hold out but i do expect him to ride the bike at the Tour De Cortland for awhile. Its a business and we will all see how this plays out in 7 weeks from today.
    My guess is they give him some type of bonus or something to bring up his pay this year to that 8-10 range for this year. That would then give him about 40-42 from 10-12 and they will start to do a deal during or after the 2012 season. I think he will have a new contract come 2013.

25. By ron alexander on Jun 8, 2012 | Reply

If Revis does hold out than we have somthing to talk about. So far I havn’t heard Revis say anything! What we have heard is a lot of media speculation at this point probably because Revis is tired of answering the same ole questions over and over again! Now, if he does hold out it might be time to re-evaluate the whole Revis situation? Ira, I like your picks for the top 5 C.B’s.S.C Joe brought up Holmes and Lynn(who was kind of a nickle) and they were also pretty good. Anyone remember #22 Steve Tannen? SC from N.Y also brought up a good point about pressur on the opponents Q.B. If we can get more pressure it will make our safty’s look a lot better!

26. By JOHNNYA on Jun 9, 2012 | Reply

THIS GUY HAS THE TALENT, SIZE/SPEED COMBO AND SOME DECENT PAST PRODUCTION ON HIS RESUME’ TO DISMISS HIM AS A REAL LONG SHOT! They did a nice job bringing in D-line talent. Even the kid they signed as an UFA out of, I believe, Penn University has a real nice highlight tape and some great athleticism and size, too. This kid has more raw ability than a Marcus Dixon, who i happen to like as well. The Jets front seven especially theD-line,backed up by a LB core with Demario Davis and a bulked up Aaron Maybin, who is FINALLY NOW PLAYING IN THE RIGHT SYSTEM @ THE RIGHT POSITION AND WITH A YEAR UNDER HIS BELT, SHOULD FINALLY CAUSE PROBLEMS FOR OPPOSING OFFENSES W/O BLITZING EVERY1 IN THE BACK 7! Im excited about this kid, he has talent!

27. By JOHNNYA on Jun 9, 2012 | Reply

AND I MEANT TO MENTION THEOTHER IMPORTANT LINK IN MY PREVIOUS POST. REVIS WAS THE LONE ROOKIE HOLDOUT IN ALL THOSE YEARS. 15 YRS 3 HOLDOUTS FOR MR.T. REVIS WAS 2 OF THE HOLDOUTS. TANNENBAUMS WELL RESPECTED IN THE INDUSTRY, YET HE HATES DEALING W/SHWARTZ & FEINSOD. LETS FACE IT, THEY ARE REALLY 2 PRETTY BIG JERKS! LOOK AT WHAT THEY DID TO THE CHARGERS W/VINCENT JACKSON!

28. By JOHNNYA on Jun 9, 2012 | Reply

ScJoe. Holmes and Lynn were good, but Holmes got beat on a lot of deep balls and the one thing I actually liked was when a WR had a step on him flying down the sideline and the ball was in the air for a score, he would mug the receiver and yank him right down for theflag rather than give up the score. I have seen him do that sooo many times in his tenure with the jets. LOL

29. By giovanni on Jun 10, 2012 | Reply

if revis holds out i would trade him a get some young dbs via the draft and its called a team one person does not win a superbowl ,dont get me wrong he deserves he,s pay ,but enough is enough