• Tue., Sep. 30, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Extra Point Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences
  • Wed., Oct. 01, 2014 2:15 PM - 2:30 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Wed., Oct. 01, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences every Monday and Wednesday from the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center. Jets Open Mic is a 30-minute telecast throughout the NFL season.
  • Thu., Oct. 02, 2014 2:00 PM - 2:15 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Thu., Oct. 02, 2014 3:30 PM EDT Live Press Conference: Coordinators Jets special teams coordinator Thomas McGaughey, offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg and defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman will address the media.
  • Thu., Oct. 02, 2014 9:30 PM - 10:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan Jets Game Plan is a 30-minute preview show hosted by Jeane Coakley with analysts Ray Lucas and Tony Richardson, providing a comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup.
  • Fri., Oct. 03, 2014 12:40 PM - 12:55 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Sat., Oct. 04, 2014 10:00 PM - 10:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan Jets Game Plan is a 30-minute preview show hosted by Jeane Coakley with analysts Ray Lucas and Tony Richardson, providing a comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup.
  • Mon., Oct. 06, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences every Monday and Wednesday from the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center. Jets Open Mic is a 30-minute telecast throughout the NFL season.
  • Mon., Oct. 06, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Inside the Jets

Grinding Away for an Even Better Maybin 2.0

Posted by Randy Lange on June 8, 2012 – 1:11 pm

Life’s a lot more rewarding these days for Aaron Maybin.

For one thing, the loquacious Jets linebacker is coming off his best season as a pro. For another, he, like most of the other players at his position and on the team, has been reshaping his body.

“It’s really just been a grind, man, and I’m definitely able to see the benefits,” Maybin told me in the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center locker room following Thursday’s final OTA practice. “A couple of people on the team, some coaches can tell, just by looking at me, the change from one year to the next.

“I just talked to Bill [Hughan, head strength coach] and he said I’m starting to get right around where they want me, right around 250 now. It’s great to be so close to my goal so early in the offseason.”

Compare this to his 229 pounds when he first arrived as a Jet last August, or the “220 soaking wet” when he was making headlines at Penn State and building toward his 11th-pick-of-the-draft status with Buffalo in 2009.

“I’m still 3 percent body fat. All my numbers are where they were,” he said. But has he lost any of his trademark speed? “If anything,” he replied, “I’m faster. I feel as explosive as I’ve ever felt.”

On another front, Maybin has become one of the most popular Jets. He’s made charity appearances with teammates this offseason and always draws a crowd. In the locker room, he’s a must-stop for reporters who want a smart, well-thought-out quote (for the print folks) offered up in his resonant baritone of a speaking voice (for the audio/video people).

He said he mentioned “two words” about having a few meals with Olympic gold-medal swimmer Michael Phelps this offseason and that line of questioning became the lead of Brian Costello’s story in the New York Post. In part the draw was due to Phelps. In part it was the rising star that is Maybin.

Aaron is a shining example of why it’s always premature to slap the B-word on almost any player after two seasons in the NFL. It’s ancient history to remind everyone that Maybin had no sacks his first two seasons and was cut loose by the Bills to ultimately come to the Jets. Sure, that part sounds like “bust,” but his six sacks, four forced fumbles — tied for fifth in the NFL — and team-high 24 QB pressures in limited playing time for the Jets in ’11 sure doesn’t.

Not all NFL rookies are made the same. Maybin’s one of those guys who needed time to sort things out, to really come to grips with that time-worn football phrase, “Don’t try to control the things you can’t control.”

“If you lose the idea that this is a kids’ game, what are you really doing?” he said. “For a while I may have gotten away from that, putting too much pressure and expectations on myself.

“I was thinking too much, I wasn’t feeling like myself because I felt I wasn’t in the right position. Stop thinking so much, get back to having fun, bring your kind of energy to the game. It took a while for me to get this game that I love. Now I love coming to work every day with these guys.”

Maybin said where he is now feels kind of like where he wanted to be and should have been from the start of his career.

“Being in that situation where you didn’t have the coaching staff’s trust or you weren’t embraced by the fans, now it’s the complete inverse of that,” he said. “Now the fans embrace you, people here see your work ethic. It’s why you play the game. You hope people see the effort, the amount of hours you put into this thing.”

Let it be stated now that Maybin’s not in this for redemption or personal accolades or proving people wrong. He’ll talk about himself, but he won’t specify his goals and he’ll always remind that it’s about more than just No. 51 in green. He further knows that one eye-popping season out of three doesn’t assure that this coming season will make it 2-for-4.

“I do have personal goals, but none of those goals come before the team anyway,” he said. “I’m just working hard out on the practice field, in the weightroom, in the training room. It’s all just to make sure this upcoming season is as big a season as we can have as a team and myself also.”

But for all those who thought he was too light to throw his weight around in the NFL or didn’t have the right attitude or any of a myriad other criticisms, Maybin has friendly — always friendly — words of advice:

“Keep on doubting. Many a man has lost many a dollar betting against me.”

Tags: , ,

40 Responses to “Grinding Away for an Even Better Maybin 2.0”

1. By kleckofan on Jun 8, 2012 | Reply

I like the trend w McKnight and now Maybin…increase the size/strength and keep the speed…Hughan seems to be on the ball. If Maybin can become more than just a speed rusher with one move and Coples works out we may just have a legit’ pass rush this year. It would be great to have gotten a replacement for Kris Jenks, the need to double him and his push up the middle made everyone better. Players like him are few and far between. I believe the D will be better this year, which will in turn make the conservative O better too. Hope springs eternal. BTW, reading “Tuesdays with Morrie” (a little late to the party). For all of us die hards, it’s a great teacher of perspective, have fun out there.

2. By GaryC on Jun 8, 2012 | Reply

Look,maybin did great last year but now let’s see what happens when teams are planning for him,and the jets should run that shuttle run to see if he has lost any quickness.

3. By IRA on Jun 8, 2012 | Reply

I think Maybin will have an even better year in 2012. A full offseason in the Jets program and another year in a system he didn’t even have time to learn. I believe he will have 10 -12 sacks this year.

4. By scjoe on Jun 8, 2012 | Reply

Randy, is Maybin (who is now up around 250) working exclusively as an OLB, during OTAs, or is taking snaps at DE “if” the Jets run 4-3 alignments? I agree that the “B” word should not be attached to a player to hastily, sometimes a change of scenery and a system change is all that is needed ( sometimes it is not) To put a more positive spin on it, I would say, that for some players,what used to be called a “tweener” at around 250, should be categorized as one who can play EITHER position, OLB or DE. That is Maybin! A Freeney or a Ware. OK, that is “after” he shores up against the run.

5. By Randy Lange on Jun 8, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, I haven’t seen Aaron Maybin with his hand in the dirt this offseason, but he did that a few times last season and that can be a nice changeup. We’ll keep an eye on that.

6. By jim rossi on Jun 8, 2012 | Reply

the guys on this team are phenomenal. maybin, ganaway(the bull), griffin(the plow), wilkerson, de vito,BO_HA,coples, sanchez,t-bow,keller,etc,etc,etc what a team!!!

7. By SCfromNY on Jun 8, 2012 | Reply

A player i am wishing a lot of luck. I think Maybin has a huge upside and will add speed where it is really needed. I hope they do not move Tebow to OLB to compete against Maybin. Sorry, but I figured to be the first to say Tebow on this post.

8. By Karan on Jun 8, 2012 | Reply

Can’t wait to see Maybin in action! This guy is fast, now he’s added more muscle mass and is continuing to learn the system. We all expect special things from him. Best of luck.

9. By danny on Jun 8, 2012 | Reply

I think with more playing time this yr Maybin can give us 10 or so sacks. I like this kid and if he did bulk up a lil he def needs to be on the field more he adds speed to our D

10. By oasus on Jun 9, 2012 | Reply

Welcome this attitude from Mayhem. I’m looking forward to watching him get better than he was last year.

11. By wayne on Jun 9, 2012 | Reply

Won’t hurt the Jets either that he will be playing for a contract…..I expect him to do well….If Maybin improves on last year, Mo takes a step up from a pretty good rookie year, Coples adds his unique talents, then you add the exotic stuff Rexy’s gonna pull out the wood works, this could be a complete reversal of the last couple a years……I don’t like to go overboard too much, but I think they could be one the sack leaders.

12. By Jimmer on Jun 9, 2012 | Reply

Go Maybin! I’m rooting for him big time. Not so much for holmes. SH has learned nothing from the end of last year. He said he’s going to JetsWest so “the guys have their leader”. His ego is just as it has been. I say let the rookies start and have SH come in the slot on 3rd downs for a bit. He just might stop thinking he some god on the field, which he is not.

13. By Jimmer on Jun 9, 2012 | Reply

Just saw a story that revis compares himself to Neon Deon. Darrell, how many KO’s have you returned? How often are you playing WR? You ARE the greatest CB today. Comparing yourself to Deon is below you. Your agent might be doing you harm at this point.

14. By GaryC on Jun 9, 2012 | Reply

maybe in time we can say goodbye to holmes just like we said goodbye to Plastico and stone mason and get this receiving corp on the right wavelength.Hill,Schilens,Kerley,Cumberland,Keller and splitting McKnight wide on occasions can offset the loss of OH CAPTAIN,MY CAPTAIN.at this point the old addition by subtraction might be in vogue.Also to Jimmer,good thing you can see the forest through the trees when in comes to Holmes,some of our other posters have the ostrich sydrome,keep your head in the sand and maybe holmes troubles will disappear.

15. By GaryC on Jun 9, 2012 | Reply

Has anyone seen how Ryan Steed is doing at the practices,I thought this guy could beat out wilson as the third corner,and Brett Roy the guy from Nevada- Reno.maybe make it to the taxi squad.

16. By Thomas on Jun 9, 2012 | Reply

@Jimmer, I think revis was comparing his coverage skills to deion sanders, not his versatility as a football player. As a coverage guy, i think revis could go toe to toe with sanders

17. By scjoe on Jun 9, 2012 | Reply

Ron Alexander, yea, I remember Steve Tannen, he was the Jets first round pick the year after they won the SB. But there is another guy we all forgot to mention, that is Ray Mickens. He was a little guy, but he was effective. I think over the years the Jets had more success at the safety position then at CB, guys like Darrel Ray, Jim Hudson, Eric, McMillian, Ken Schroy, Rhodes, etc. I would have to rank Hudson, Ray, and McMillian 1-2-3 in any order you like.

18. By wvJETSfan on Jun 9, 2012 | Reply

Maybin became my favorite player in training camp last year i was so mad when they cut him with the last cut but i knew he’d be back and he would get sacks i didn’t know how much mayhem he would create but it was fun to watch him come in the game he was one of very few bright spots for the jets last year with him bulking up learning the D more thoro and he’s been working with a coach who had every maybin snap played on dvd and found his 5 best moves to get to the QB and helped maybin improve on those moves i think he will have a great year 12 or more sacks he also was the most productive D player in the NFL last year with all the sacks and FF he had last year with only a limited amount of snaps taken

19. By IRA on Jun 9, 2012 | Reply

wayne, Have to agree with you. Once i see how the FS spot is i think this D can be the best they have had since Rex has been here. They have a lot of talent on that side of the ball. Now if they can get good solid consistent play out of the entire offense well then i can see them making a run for a WC spot.

20. By David on Jun 9, 2012 | Reply

@IRA – i’d be happy with a repeat of maybin’s 6S/4FF performance in 2012.
    i’d rather hope that with his increased mass and increased knowledge of the playbook, his advancement will come in the form of an all-down player:
    *) be able to set the edge vs fred jackson and;
    *) cover the wheel route vs steven jackson (my only knock with jason taylor).

maybe its too much to ask for him to also cover gronk’s seam route too.

21. By Tom Spicer on Jun 9, 2012 | Reply

I am tired of Holmes & his antics when are we going to cut our losses with this guy? If he thinks he is being overworked go to the coach & tell him dont throw your helmet & have a temper tantrum like my 4 year old. Cut him eat the loss & get the cancer out of the club house. You can sign Braylon for like $1 for a 1 year prove yourself deal & it would be addition by subtraction.

22. By Tom Spicer on Jun 9, 2012 | Reply

“The Jets are in the market for a blocking tight end.
    Incumbent blocking specialist Matthew Mulligan signed with the Rams. With receiving-first options Dustin Keller, Jeff Cumberland, and Hayden Smith headlining the position, the Jets put an unsuccessful waiver claim in on Brody Eldridge. Available free agents include Kris Wilson, Billy Bajema, and John Gilmore.”

23. By Charliejet on Jun 10, 2012 | Reply

10-12 sacks? OK IRA

24. By wayne on Jun 10, 2012 | Reply

Ira, that rush can make up for a whole lot though….Especially when it can come from some many different directions……They got a chance to do some really good things with this defensive talents. Had my problems with Rex, but it was never with how he calls a defensive game……………………….Until that last drive against LIONHEART……………………….And maybe a couple a times against Brady.

25. By Karan on Jun 10, 2012 | Reply

Hey guys, i love this site, but i have to agree with some of the other fellas, there shouldn’t be a section for a Tim Tebow news/interview conference. I respect the heck out of Tim, think he’s an outstanding football player, but he is not the starter here, it’s Mark Sanchez. I also have a lot of respect for Sanchez and support him as most of know, but really, the conference page should be reserved for the Head Coach and the Starting quarterback, and of course the other coaches and GM, owner. Hopefully this is a one time thing where Tebow has his own page. Other than that, keep doing your thing, you all do a fine job.

26. By Bennett on Jun 10, 2012 | Reply

With Maybin just proves how good a defensive coach Ryan is. After another team had given up on him it took Ryan to spot his potential, use him correctley, and motivate him so that he has begun to reach his potential as a high 1st round pick. Maybin is one of those players that finds it difficult to maintain a higher weight , at 250 he will be much more effective at his position. 225 while quick just not enought mass. I think they will still only use him only on passing downs. As he becomes more effective teams will adjust to shut him down leaving weakness else where that can be sxpolited and even without the 10 sacks he should be very effective in the collapse of the pocket making things happen, and creating mayhem in the backfield

27. By Jimmer on Jun 10, 2012 | Reply

Thomas, I hope that’s what Revis had in mind, but to be talking like that is unfounded. He has not earned a place in the HOF, he can only hurt a spot there by talking like that. I think Revis needs a more reasonable agent to be taken seriously. 2 holdouts in 3 yrs will never make you look good.

28. By IRA on Jun 10, 2012 | Reply

Very interesting that last year the Pats showed a lot more 4-3 looks and now the Bills are going back to a 4-3,The Fish will show more 4-3 looks and the Jets as well.
    Randy,
    Why are the Bills making two WC trips back to back vs SF and Ari? Maybe it has to do with them getting to play 4 of their last 5 games at home in the cold weather? Their only game away from home is @ Mia on 12/23.

29. By Karan on Jun 10, 2012 | Reply

I might get some backlash for this, but I honestly would not mind signing Terrell Owens. I have nothing against Stephen Hill, but I still feel like we need another veteran wide receiver, and a tall deep threat in that. Only two I can think of are Edwards and Owens. Both are great deep threats which is exactly what Sanchez needs, something he had in 2010. Now the only obvious problem with this T.O. signing is that we might just have another Diva on our hands. We all know Holmes is a diva, but I don’t think Terrell might be as much as he used to be simply because he needs work. I know he would bring passion like he did in 2010 for Cincinnati, I’m only saying that on account of his stats that year, but with T.O., you never know. I’ve……

30. By Karan on Jun 10, 2012 | Reply

….personally always liked him as a wide receiver so I wouldn’t mind brining him on board and like I’ve said before, it would be even better if Edwards could come back.

31. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jun 10, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, Holmes saying that he was “overused” in the OTA — that’s what I was told he said, and I still can’t really believe it — is certainly the most bizarre stroke yet. But as I said to scjoe, it really doesn’t matter who we keep or trade now. Oh sure, Mangold’s the last guy on the team I’d ever trade, but with every meaningless thing Rex says and every new signal that Sparano’s instilling a new regime and approach, it’s painfully obvious that we’re just another team trying to find its way over the next few yrs. That’s why I don’t sweat starting McKnight, Hill, Coples, Davis, or even one of the 2 new guys we drafted at S, because we’re not getting anywhere near the SB anytime soon. We don’t even know who our real starting QB is.

32. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jun 11, 2012 | Reply

More signs folks at Florham Park know all too well this is a rebulding yr: The re-upping of Sanchez’s contract, removing any urgency about the notion he needs to become an elite QB by November (as if there was ever a snowball’s chance in hell of THAT happening). The lack of any discernible response to Holmes’ antics, with the coaches knowing as they do that the season isn’t going to come down to any post-season, fingertip, toes-in-bounds TD catch. No overriding seriousness about replacing Folk or Conley. And the obvious lack of urgency about getting anybody better than Hunter at RT, when a season split between him, a few journeyman picks-ups, and notetaking on who to draft at that spot next yr is no problem in the grand scheme of things.

33. By IRA on Jun 11, 2012 | Reply

Dave,
    I can see Maybin possibly covering at times but asking him to set the edge i am not sure thats happening. He is a pure pass rusher and they will make the most of his talent doing that.

34. By GaryC on Jun 11, 2012 | Reply

jet fan tom, why don’t you believe what was said by holmes, because it makes him look like a slacker, that being said, you have to be a little more optimistic then what you are presenting,we haven’t even played the first pre season game yet.you can rag on sanchez all you want but he did lead them to 4 playoff victories before last year,and the first year he did that holmes wasn’t even here.they have upgraded the speed and safety position, look,leonhard isn’t even on the team,that should make you happy.coples and maybin might bring enough pass rush to offset the safety issues that you worry about and I still don’t believe Hunter will be the starting right tackle.

35. By ron alexander on Jun 11, 2012 | Reply

Karan, i agree with your comments about the people on this site. I mean Joe is a little nutty(but often right on) but there is a lot of good info and great comments to be read here! Jetfan Tom, I know where your coming from about a rebuilding year but with what the Giants accomplished last year I wouldn’t completely rule us out. You never know what team will under-preform(New England?) or what really good team will succumb to injuries(GreenBay)/?
    So while I agree we should be cautious with our expectations,there is no reason to assume we have no-shot this year! I know Joe and S.CJoe are not big Sanchez guys but I want to see what he can do in his 4th year with a new O.C who knows what he’s doing!

36. By Steve on Jun 11, 2012 | Reply

No T.O. we are fine at the reciever position. not even worried about it. What we do need is a a Tight End !

Maybin : i cant wait ! he is going to tear it up. He got a tast for NFL success and he wants more and now he’s bigger waht out.

Running game: love it ! TG, JMC , Green Machine …

Offensive line … definite improvement…

all in all im really excited what the Jets have done this year! we have such a good class of guys to select our roster from, it will be sad to see some good talent getting cut this year as we dwindle down. LETS GO JETS

37. By Jake98660 on Jun 11, 2012 | Reply

I sware when there are seasons like last year and nothing is expected of the Jets the following season, they always suprise everyone and end up with a 10-6 wild card birth. Take Mangini’s first year for example, they made the playoffs with a safety by the name of Eric Coleman (yes the had Rhodes also), their starting runningback was Cedic Houston for most of the season, and their wide-out corp was composed of Lavernious Coles, Jericho Cotchery (in his first year starting) and Justin McCariens. I would say the Jets have a better team intterms of personel now. They just need to get their heads straight now. If they do, big things can happen.

38. By David on Jun 11, 2012 | Reply

Ira –
    In that case, he will always be a situational/st player and not really the answer at OLB they needed to address.

39. By ron alexander on Jun 12, 2012 | Reply

David, I think Ira is right on the money,Maybin is never gonna be a great run defender.I know he has put on some weight but even at 250 he is light for that posisition. most of the top 3-4 OLB’s are in the 265-290 range (former college D.E’s) and are a lot stronger than maybin. But I do think with Ryan’s schemes he can be a double didget sack guy. But Its not just about the sack’s though. Maybin has the ability to reek havoc in the backfield which can cause confusion and even panic to opposing offences. I also think Jake brought up a good point.Most experts(as Joe is happy to point out to us) are picking us to be a 500. team? I think with a few breaks we could sneak up on some teams who might be a bit over-rated.

40. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jun 12, 2012 | Reply

I don’t believe what Holmes said because it’s an incredibly selfish, foolish thing for a player to say, GaryC, even for him. I also don’t believe Sanchez “led us” to anything, he benefitted from a much stronger team and once we didn’t have it, he crumbled totally. I’m optimistic about the new guys, just not nearly so much as to fool myself into thinking they’re gonna turn us into SB contenders overnight. Wild card contenders, like Ira said, possibly.