• Sat., Nov. 01, 2014 3:00 PM - 3:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Sun., Nov. 02, 2014 11:30 AM - 11:50 AM EST Live Jets Talk LIVE: Pregame Get your most compreshensive game preview as Jets Insiders Eric Allen and Amanda Pflugrad are joined by Herbie Teope of Chiefs Digest in Kansas City. JTL kicks off at 11:30 a.m. from Arrowhead Stadium.
  • Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Tue., Nov. 04, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Extra Point – Only on SNY

• Wed., Nov. 05, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Extra Point – Only on SNY

• Thu., Nov. 06, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Fri., Nov. 07, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Sat., Nov. 08, 2014 10:00 PM - 10:30 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 10, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

No. 3 QB McElroy Feeling ‘Back to Normal Now’

Posted by Randy Lange on June 25, 2012 – 3:39 pm

There was a media kerfuffle a few weeks ago when Mark Sanchez gave up a couple of unannounced reps with the first offense to Tim Tebow during the full-squad minicamp.

Greg McElroy was getting even fewer reps than Tebow, but the second-year man from Alabama was happy to be back in the Jets’ QB conversation.

“I’m not getting a lot of reps with the ones, but I feel like I’m playing pretty well,” McElroy told newyorkjets.com. “You just have to make the most of the reps you’re given.”

McElroy’s reps could have been in further jeopardy depending on how fast or slow he appeared to be coming back from last summer’s dislocated thumb on his throwing hand.

“I feel like I’m back to feeling normal now,” he said at the end of the minicamp at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center. “Obviously the first couple of practices , it took me a while to get my legs back under me. Now I’m starting to move, react, anticipate a little bit better. Granted, I was a little rusty the first few weeks.

“I knew throwing the ball would be fine. I didn’t think I’d have a setback there. But moving around to avoid the rush, anticipating things, the new system, took some time.”

The man who brought the new system with him is coordinator Tony Sparano. McElroy said the former Dolphins head coach “has been a tremendous pleasure to work for,” even if absorbing his system is no small task for the No. 3 man on the depth chart.

“It’s a difficult system but it’s very similar to what we did last year in terms of reads and concepts,” he said. “We’re running the same plays but with different verbiage.”

McElroy will continue to study that verbiage in the next four weeks before putting it to the test up in Cortland. Already familiar with the Dallas area, where he grew up, and Tuscaloosa, where he played for Alabama, he’s off to the South again before coming back to the North to get ready for the ’12 season.

“I’m heading to Nashville, where I’m spending the offseason,” he said. “I’ll be working out there, spending the last couple of weeks before training camp there.”

And then he’ll be reunited with Sanchez and Tebow. The model of diplomacy and paraphrasing the one-time sentiment of defensive teammate Bart Scott, he can’t wait.

“Those guys are both playoff quarterbacks. They’ve been successful and won a lot of games in the regular-season,” McElroy said. “From my perspective, it’s been great working with them and it should be really fun working with those guys up in Cortland.”

“Fore!” from Jets’ Super Twosome

RB Emerson Boozer and DB-KR Earl Christy, two of the four Jets in Super Bowl III who played college ball at Maryland Eastern Shore, reunited recently to play in the Art Shell UMES Celebrity Golf Tournament at Great Hope GC in Westover, Md. DelmarvaNow.com has a feature with photos of the twosome on its Website this morning.

Tags: , , , , ,

83 Responses to “No. 3 QB McElroy Feeling ‘Back to Normal Now’”

1. By scjoe on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

I can only hope that his remarks after last season are not held against him. He was asked questions and he answered them honestly. I realize we didn’t get to see a whole lot of him last season, but I for one liked what I did see. I don’t believe you need a Brett Favre rocket arm to be successful in this league. Other intangibles can and will make up for it. This player has some.

2. By IRA on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

I really hope McElroy gets plenty of reps this summer for many reasons. I like what this kid showed last summer.
    Man Earl Christy old # 45. Really enjoyed watching him play!

3. By ron alexander on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

McElroy seems like the perfect#3 Q.B. Coming from a national championship team he knows all about winning. Physically and intellectually he is sort of a poor mans Chad Pennington. Great make-up, so-so arm but smart as a whip.
    I doudt he will ever accend to the #1 job but stranger things have happaned?
    Glad to hear Mo Wilkerson is o.k after his traffic accident. I guess we did dodge a bullett this time. Randy, any news or scouting report on the w.r we signed?

4. By Randy Lange on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

ron, are you referring to Raymond Webber? He had 101 catches for 1,429 yards and 10 TDs as a senior at Arkansas-Pine Bluff in 2010, was reported to have run a 40 in the 4.5’s at Central Arkansas’ pro day, was signed as an undrafted FA by Tampa Bay last July, went on IR (hamstring) for the season, was waived by the Bucs on May 2, then was signed by the Seahawks and was waived a week later before the Jets signed him.

5. By Eli Rodriguez on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

SCJOE you are one of the few who have supported G-MAC from the beginning. (IMO) I feel very good about my chances with him than with either M.S. and T.T….. T.T is a great leader with a big heart who inspire other to fight to the end but i can’t put my money on that alone. Hey, they gave M.S. 3yrs and if G-MAC get the same, he’ll get bigger and stronger. (Again in IMO) Mark Sanchez should be No.3

6. By GaryC on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

It is a shame that the jets think Tebow can be a better qb than McElroy, I said when they drafted him he could be this generations Bart Starr,even coming from the same school,played under Nick Saban who has NFL experience as opposed to Tebow,who had Urban Meyer,no NFL background.more experience at the pro sets instead of these spreads that they ran at Florida.Jets keep guys around like Hunter,Scott and Thomas and relegate a guy like McElroy to third string.Third string qbs don’t last long on a team before another team signs them as free agents,in time I can see this happen if Mcelroy doesn’t become number 2.

7. By P. Lyons on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

I agree with IRA. I hope he more snaps also. In my opinion, this kid is a starter, never mind a 3rd stringer! Plus, I don’t think Tebow is the answer is Sanchez goes down with an injury.

8. By Tom Spicer on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

SCJoe, From the prior post I am not talking about the football aspect of trading for Tebow I am talking about the fanatical fan aspect of it all we could fall into the same problem the Broncos had. Fan outcry could be so great for Tebow that managment will be under GREAT pressure to start the guy even thou he is not the better QB

9. By Tom Spicer on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

As far as Rexs comment about Tebow playing 20 snaps a game I could really see that happeing now that I sit back & think about it. You have around 70 plays per game on O & your 3rd WR plays about 35 of them. That leaves another 35 plays to be split between Cumberland in the 2 TE sets that Sparano favors & Tebow that puts him real close to 20 plays right there. I can see him at QB in the Wildcat, TE, HB, FB & EVEN RB.

10. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

No question Mc’s arm has to get stronger but others have done it so maybe he can. As for Boozer and Christy, great to see them around! P.S. to GaryC from the last story: Sanchez also got Edwards 5 games in or so in 2009 and for that year and the next, and before his injury, he towered over anyone on either Carolina or the Jets except for Holmes.

11. By Karan on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

I always like McElroy in Alabama and was a bit confused why he was drafted a bit late but obviously it had to be with his size. This guy is a smart QB and one thing I’ve noticed when he goes under center, he just kind of reminded me of Drew Brees. I’m not saying he is Brees, but just his presence under center, I don’t know, it seemed like that at times. Anyways, I think our QB depth is excellent. Sanchez, Tebow and McElroy is major upgrade over Brunell and O’Connell.

12. By Karan on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

Shaq says Tebow + Sanchez = Superbowl
    Love that optimism, lets hope so!

13. By walt on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

One way we can improve this team tremendously is by simply not fumbling the ball and throwing dumb interceptions and making stupid penalties..The art of ball control should be a major topic at this years training camp.I wonder if anyone could tell me how many points we gave up and how many points we could of scored if not not for stupid penaltis and turnovers.

14. By IRA on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

Karan, The question probably most NFL scouts had with McElroy is his arm strength. It reminds me a lot like Chad was. Good leader, a winner at the college level and smart player who can read defenses.

15. By Bennett on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

There are penalities and there are penalities, good coaches no the differance. That being said dumb penalities are the result of poor coaching. Good well coached teams make few dumb ones, this is something that Ryan and the staff must address in order to win. Penalties will kill you, to avoid them you must teach and drill at practice. The jets have enought to worry about with the Sanchez tournovers add dumb flags it will be tought to win

16. By Paul N. on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

Let’ shake things up at Cortland! Tebow moves to safety, Sanchez to back up and lets start the only QB we have that caan actually throw the football with any accuracy!!! Ok, I’m dreaming, but seriously Tebow should be a third stringer and Mcelroy #2, the kid has talent, but is being held down with all the Tebowmania in NY!

17. By GaryC on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

jet fan tom,holmes can only dream one day to be as good as steve smith,for that matter braylon edwards also.

18. By GaryC on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

jet fan tom,look at the stats,smith can be considered for the hall of fame in time,and for the majority of his career he had Jake Delhomme as his quarterback,see great receivers can make quarterbacks,so stop the bellyaching when it comes to sanchez not getting the ball to holmes,maybe sanchez will come to him more once he stops dropping the ones he does get.

19. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

Walt, your post amounts pretty much to saying one way to improve this team is to bench Sanchez.

20. By scjoe on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

I don’t know why there are those who continue to dwell on arm strength. Arm strength is great IF you have all of the other intangibles. If you don’t it is useless.Intangibles (pocket presence, situational awareness, ability to read defenses and read the field, ability to get beyond that first read. maturity, being a leader) those are what is important for a QB, not how far he can throw the ball. But don’t take my word for it. Who would you rather see behind center on your team, Joe Montana with his not so strong arm or Ryan Leaf with his cannon? Just one of a hundred examples.

21. By Rich on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

Sanchez and Tebow haven’t been overly impressive in their NFL careers. McElroy showed potential during last year’s pre-season. He should but won’t be given a chance to start this year.

22. By scjoe on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

Tom Spicer, in retrospect, the fanatical fan aspect in Denver was not a problem, on the contrary, the QB change took the Broncos to the playoffs and got a win over Pit to boot. You never know, you can never predict. I have seen some strange things happen in this sport over the past 50 years, I am sure you have too. I have said this before, I really don’t care if it is Sanchez, Tebow, or McKelroy leading this offense, as long as he is there legitimately and is getting the job done.I happen to think if this team can average 17-21 points a game they will surprise a lot of people.

23. By jetsfan80 on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

McElroy was playing against 2nd and third stringers last preseason. I don’t think that warrants him the starting job. I like what I saw from Mc last preseason, too, but we can’t forget…who he was throwing against was an important factor in helping him look so good. However, I think he should be thrown in the mix some in practice with the 1st stringers just to see what he’s got so the coaches compare apples to apples. I would make him my backup and leave Tebow for spread/wildcat/triple option and also as the 3rd string backup. I don’t know if I want Tebow running the offense entirely if MS goes down…scary

24. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

Delhomme was damn good in his day and Smith’s day is over, GaryC, he’s done. As for Holmes vs. Smith and Edwards, he’s done something that neither of them will ever do, which is practically nail down a SB win in the closing minutes single-handedly in tandem with his QB. No sign of Sanchez (or Tebow) being that kind of QB anytime soon. And speaking of WRs who are done, you keep harping on nobody picking up Plax but where are all the teams that agree with you about BE?

25. By GaryC on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

jetfantom, you have to get your stories straight,what have I said about braylon edwards,I always say you can’t drink from the well twice when people keep bringing him up about coming back to the jets,I would go with the guys they have and you keep bringing up Holmes and Plastico super bowl catches,like you said about smith, he is done,but I believe he has more than Plastico and if Holmes,your other favorite,doesn’t get his act together he to can be seeing the end.Like I stated about Holmes,if your not happy on a super bowl winner,then when will you ever be happy.

26. By rspikes on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

The Jets have, without a doubt, the best trio of quarterbacks in the NFL. The Jets can win a Super Bowl his year, with any of the three, but only with the support of their talented and dedicated teammates.
    Think about it.
    Sanchez missed the Superbowl twice by one game. when he is “on”, he is an unquestionable winner.
    Tebow was on two National Championship teams. There has never been a greater “comeback” leader in the clutch.
    McElroy was on a championship team, and one of the few who ever defeated a Tebow-led team. He is a fantastic quarterback.
    Best of all, the three are persons of great character and commitment.
    Without disrespecting the talent or commitment of any other quarterback, which team has a trio such as this?

27. By ron alexander on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

Randy, thanks, yes that was who I was curious about. Guys, I love McElroy too but “lets not put him in Canton” just yet. He was drafted late because he is on the small side 6-1 1/2 and about 216 lbs. Now I’m sure he can pack on a few lbs. but his arm is a little less than average and he is not known for his mobility. Every scouting report I read on him(and please believe me there were a lot !) projected him as a career back-up. Like I said earlier, ya never know what can happan when a guy makes a roster but Mac is a long way from being a NFL starter at this point! Bennett, you are dead right about the stupid penalties and turn overs! Rex needs to get that crap in check or we are going no where! Hello Danny, u out there?

28. By ron alexander on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

Tom64 Now, now dude, did you forget the pass Holmes caught that got us to the AFC championship game I believe vs.New England? That catch was very much like the one he caught for Pittsburgh in the superbowl!Bye the way, it was M.S who threw it. You guys need to give Sanchez this last year to make good! Like I said eartlier, he had his highest completion % , most yardage,and T.D passes(26) last year playing behind a sieve of an O-line.. I know the interceptions were too high(18) and the fumbles were bad too. But he was sacked 39 times hit another 75 and was pretty beat up by the seasons end. Then you look how many times Shonn Greene had to make a great run to get back to the original line of scrimmage so hopfully u get my point?.

29. By russ on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

IRA on the Fan wtg nice segment…by the way I think McElroy also is very good…..

30. By Karan on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

I agree rspikes, all our QBs on this chart are winners, doesn’t matter what anyone says, they need to look at what they’ve done and will most likely continue to do to win.

31. By SCfromNY on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

I could have written the comment by scjoe about arm strenght. It’s nice to have but accuracy and the ability to see the field, recognize defenses, and work your progressions is more important. I liked what little I saw of McElroy last year and 2nd or 3rd stringers the ability to accurately lead a receiver gives you all important YAC. Montana’s arm wasn’t the strongest but his cool under fire and ability to lead second to none. I think a receiver named Rice thrived with the shorter weak armed QB. Pennington was the same and he made Randy Moss happy in college. Give McElroy a chance at QB not Tebow.

32. By Simon Gribben on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

As an admirer of McElroy, I have finally found birds of the same feather (for the most part). I agree totally that he should be our #2QB if Sanchez gets hurt. Don’t take Tebow out of his unique Swiss Army Knife multiple duties that we would lose if we coddle him as the starting QB. From what I’ve seen of Mc and want to see more of in training camp and preseason, he can hold the fort while Mark recovers. And maybe more.

33. By steven on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

McElroy is a well trained smart champion. He won a state championship and was undefeated in Texas High School, was named the Texas 5A Player of the Year[6] and an EA Sports All-American. He won a national championship as MVP with broken ribs and was undefeated in college at Alabama. Was named as one of the smartest athletes in America by Sporting News, scored a 43[55] out of 50 on the Wonderlic Test of intelligence, was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame as a National Football Foundation scholar/athlete. He has set many high school and college records. He has the numbers including the high completion percentage, throws few interceptions and is a leader that knows how to lead. Perhaps the Jets don’t know they have what they need

34. By Bon on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

McElroy knows how to move the chains and is like Dan Marino. He doesn’t make mistakes and throws the ball so it is easy for receivers to catch, yet hardly any picks. They should try him with the first team. He has the pedigree to be an Elite QB

35. By scjoe on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

Jetsfan80, lets not forget McKelroy was also playing WITH 2nd and 3rd stringers. We have to keep that in to perspective as well. Ron Alexander, how big is Drew Brees? I think McKelroy may tower over him. Lets keep it in perspective guys. We haven’t seen enough of McKelroy to really judge him. I think what we did see was pretty good. Forget the fact he was “playing against 2nd & 3rd stringers” because he was also playing with them. Sanchez on the other hand? We did see a lot of. I have my opinions on what I have seen. Thing is, are they really opinions, or are they facts?

36. By scjoe on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

rspikes, problem is, Sanchez is not “on” enough. That is called inconsistency. You will not win to many SBs with an inconsistent QB.

37. By JoeyB on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

He is the best quarterback on this Jets team hope he gets a chance

38. By todd on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

Mcleroy should be starter… Arm strength is moot point…. Both mannings and tom brady dont have arms strength not to mention our man chad who became the most accurate QB in NFL history and led the dolphins from worst to first. The fact that he gets any reps with the 1’s shows that soprano might be seeing the light on this situation too. I can only hope or its gonna be a another long season.

39. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

Well, at least you bow to reality and admit that Holmes has plenty left, GaryC. And okay, I misunderstood you, you meant Edwards should only have a career as good as Smith’s, and I agree with that. But the main pt is right now Smith is done, BE seems to be, and Holmes has mostly been held back by an inconsistent QB. Like I’ve warned uncle joe,you guys better pray that Holmes doesn’t end up on a team with a real Top-5 QB in the next few yrs. But I also like Hill, Kerley, Turner, and yes even Schilens as a role player in back of Holmes, so now we just gotta get the ball to them. ron a, Sanchez needs to make throws like that every week — like Brady does — before we’re winning the division.

40. By Charliejet on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

rspikes – your thoughts(on the 3 QB’s) are logical but not rational.

41. By Kevin on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

McElroy reminds me of Pennington not a lot of arm strength but more than enough to succeed with but he is super smart and he was a definite steal for us in rd 7 I thought he was going to be gone in the first or 2nd round last year

42. By Tom Spicer on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

From Rotoworld : Jets RT Wayne Hunter gave up 8.5 sacks and was flagged for 11 penalties in 2011.
    A Jets’ line that used to be a strong suit is now a liability. Hunter is one of the worst starting tackles in football and left tackle D’Brickashaw Ferguson gave up 9.5 sacks while struggling in the run game a year ago. It’s another reason we’re avoiding Shonn Greene and Mark Sanchez

43. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

Thanks for the rundown on McElroy, steven, I’m reminded of someone on this site who cluelessly criticized some of us for saying Mc’s one of the smartest players in the NFL. Fact is, I’d much rather let go of Rex, who rarely sounds anything but impulsive, juvenile. and purely emotional, than Mc.

44. By since shea on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

Tom, you are so right about the O line! Hunter on this website talking of consistency? He was consistent last year and that was our problem. Its not Sanchez. T-Rex-Wood must stand by him and support him like the Giants did with a struggling Eli. They need to put better protection around MS and let him further develop. Is Eli really that much better? Remember his zero passer ratings? Lets stop changing faces seemingly for the sake of changing faces.

45. By ron alexander on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

Guy’s, its amazing how much we are talking about a Q.B who will probably never see the field. Hey, please dont get me wrong, I am a fan of Mac’s. But unless we have two injured Q.B’s this year all this talk is a moot point. For those of you who think this guy is a #1 Q.B. please keep in mind he was barley drafted. Kevin thought he was gonna be drafted in the 1st or 2nd round? S.C, we cant compare Mac to Breeze because Breeze came from a pass oriented offence at Perdue while Bama was loaded at R.B with Ingram and Richardson(2 1st rd. picks. Breeze was much further along as a passer than Mac. Nobody loves the Jets more than I do but lets think this through a little more before moving Mac to #1 on the depth chart.

46. By SCfromNY on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

I realize that the chances of McElroy starting are slim. And I don’t know if he would be better than Sanchez. BUT from the little I saw last preseason he hit the recievers in full stride. They did not have to turn around or go to the ground to catch it. All I am saying is i would like to see him given a chance. For those moaning about a 7th round pick need only to look at the top of the division for a sixth round pick. Montana was a 3rd round because of arm concerns. If Sanchez can get rid of his “deer in the headlights” look it will go a long way to improving his chances of being good. Eli and Brees may have had bad years but their demeanor was always good.

47. By scjoe on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

Ron, no argument here.The only thing I compared was size (Brees and McKelroy) I did that simply because you stated McElroy was to small to play the position. I couldn’t possibly compare the two of them on anything else at this point in time. Point is, you don’t need to be 6’5″ and you don’t need the rocket arm to be successful (Brees, Montana, Pennington, Griese etc.) as opposed to Russell, Leaf, Klingler, Nagle,etc. See where I am going?

48. By scjoe on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

PS Ron, if McElroy never becomes the starter it sure wont be because we as fans didn’t think it through. It will be one of two reasons 1- because he was never given an equal opportunity 2- because he was given the opportunity and did not seize it.

49. By George on Jun 28, 2012 | Reply

Let’s see how Mr. August does this summer.

50. By Knewt on Jun 28, 2012 | Reply

Funny, i said pretty much exactly the same comment earlier as above and it got removed. the only other thing i said was that what mcelroy coming out and talking to the media like he did is such a reason for locker room problems, and that true leaders don’t do that, they stick by their teammates

51. By punchie on Jun 28, 2012 | Reply

When the ball gets snaped GREG reads the play far quicker than sanchize and kills tebow who doesnt seem to be able to read anything other than a bible. and always delivers the ball to the best option.with all the defensive stunting we need someone who can read whats happening post play and from what ive seen sanchize has predetermined his throw before the snap tebow can`t even read the eye chart in the doctors office and G-MAC picks the right move post play whether it`s a dump pass or a toss out of bounds A+

52. By SCfromNY on Jun 28, 2012 | Reply

All I keep saying is to give the kid a chance. He is a proven winner and that’s what is said about Tebow all the time. After years of frustration with the Jets my biggest concern is that they will cut him and become a star on another team. Denver wanted him for Tebow. That should say a lot.

53. By rspikes on Jun 28, 2012 | Reply

Punchie,

You make some notes, but you go the wrong way when you deride Tebow’s ability, intelligence and spirituality.

His abilities are proven beyond doubt, as in SEC, High School and National Championships, MVP, Heisman and Maxwell trophies, and first team All-America Quarterback in high school and college.

He was intelligent enough to be an Academic All-American. The Bible is not a book for simpletons, as you imply; it has engaged the strongest minds in all of history. As to reading defenses, Tebow regularly beat the best defenses in the nation in the SEC.

Starting with a 1-4 team last year, he ended up 8-8, which, incidentally, is only one game behind Eli’s 9-7 Giants.

One should not sarcastically mock another person’s religion.

54. By ron alexander on Jun 28, 2012 | Reply

S.C,Joe Touchee! another good point.If he gets the chance I hope he runs with it and makes good. The guy he reminds me of is the kid the Bengals brought in last year Andy Dalton. So so arm, about 6-1 and not much of a running threat.
    Again, I’m not saying he is the answer but even if he gets the chance it will probably be because the o-line got Sanchez and Tebow killed and I would hate to see Mac play behind our current o-line with Hunter and Brick doing their turnstile impersonations! Remember, Mac is not s running or scrambling Q.B and with our O.Lines lack of protection his less than powerful arm strength will be clearly exposed!

55. By potter dumont on Jun 28, 2012 | Reply

Thanks everybody! I have been waiting for comments on McElroy.

Please, Please give him a chance or let him go to a team where he can play.
    Roll Tide

56. By Morena on Jun 28, 2012 | Reply

I hope this kid is given an opportunity..He can be a very good quarterback…In the preseason last year, he was great…

57. By Jimmer on Jun 28, 2012 | Reply

I’m with alot of you on this kid. He has a little Pennington, and a little bit Namath. I might be flying solo on this, but, I think this kid is better than any other b/u in the nfl. His quick release is similar to Peyton. He’s smart as well. I liked the Tebow thing, simply for the Tebow thing. But I see a much greater prospect in this guy.

58. By scjoe on Jun 28, 2012 | Reply

Ron, I always talk about intangibles, especially at the QB position, and I truly believe McElroy has more of them then either Sanchez or Tebow. We (as Jet fans) may never know how good this kid could be because of where he is on the depth chart and because of the politics involved in this FO. You compared him to Dalton, you may be right. I think the skill level is pretty close, look where Dalton is. Opportunity my friend, sometimes that is all it takes.

59. By Jetfighter on Jun 29, 2012 | Reply

Mark Sanchez should be the starter,they threw him straight into the shark infested waters and what did he do,guide the team to 2 AFC CHAMPIONSHIPS,Let’s Go JETS!!!!

60. By punchie on Jun 30, 2012 | Reply

r SPIKES you are the typical bible basher it was not an attack on his religion or his ability to find the square root of 366512.265 it was about his abbility to find the open receiver after the snap .The bible comment was used as an anallagy to his innability to read plays as they happen.Oh and get this jesus was not the son of god he was just a regular man with radical beleifs for the time that he lived in much the same as mahommad.NOT EVERYTHING IS AN ATTACK ON YOUR RELIGION.

61. By punchie on Jun 30, 2012 | Reply

r SPIKES i want a quatre back not an exttra HB and winning the heisman and accademic all american unfortunatelly doesnt carry much weight in the NFL just ask tom brady , brett favre , ben rothlisburger and the list goes on .QB NOT HB

62. By rspikes on Jul 1, 2012 | Reply

Well, Punchie,

If an NFL starting quarterback tales over a 1-4 team and leads them to a division title and a playoff victory in the same year does not impress you, then you are a demanding person indeed.

If a high school state championship and two national championships, and being voted the best quarterback in the nation has no significance for you, then you are more discerning than the people he beat.

Since when has the ability to run around or over people been a bad thing in a quarterback? Are they required to just look terrified and spike the football when tacklers close in on them?

Did you not see the films of him quarterbacking the Broncos in wins over the bears, Vikings, Steelers, Raiders, Texans, Chargers and Dolphins last year?

63. By rspikes on Jul 1, 2012 | Reply

Punchie,

I just saw your other post.

You have revealed your real hatred for Tebow….his faith.

It cannot be his passing, for he was the greatest passer in the history of the SEC, and had 14 touchdowns against 6 interceptions last year. His regular season record was better than Ei Manning’s.

I will not refer to your fanatical and unfounded faith in atheism if you will refrain from insulting my belief in God and His Son.

64. By SCfromNY on Jul 1, 2012 | Reply

And so the problem escalates and goes on. The ‘anti religious” part of anti Tebow is partially derived from all these posts about it and I think this is what turns people off. It is Sunday football not Sunday mass. This is a football blog. There are many really religious players that do not feel the need to put it in your face. Go to church daily or worship Satan just be able to throw a catchable ball and lead your team to victory. It is about physical skills that translate to winning football games. Let’s keep it about football.

65. By punchie on Jul 1, 2012 | Reply

And tebow was so good the broncos spent a first rounder on him then traded him asap for a fourth rounder in preference of peyton and his broken neck.There is no doubt TIM is a great human being .Perhaps he is the jesus of our time or is that the POPE or TOM CRUZE. THIS IS A CRAZY WORLD WE LIVE IN

66. By rspikes on Jul 2, 2012 | Reply

SC:
    So now you appoint yourself the Religion Czar, and presume to tell people how, where and when to express their faith? What a crock!
    FYI, many people live a faithful life 24/7, and do not, as you suggest, keep religion in the closet except for Sunday Church or Satan worship. I have seen a lot of Tebow haters vent online, but you are the first to equate Christianity with Satan worship.

Punchie:
    Coaches are not divine. They can err. Have you never noticed that players who perform best win games? Many coaches gave up on Johnny Unitas, Roger Staubach and Sam Huff. They went to the Hall of Fame, the coaches did not. Giving up on a player is not a mark of genius. Continuing to knock anyone’s faith demeans the speaker.

67. By scjoe on Jul 2, 2012 | Reply

Re: Tebow, religion, Sunday’s, and this blog? Here’s the thing. The word “religion” should never even come in to play when we discuss Tim Tebow the football player. He does what he does because that is his belief. What is the problem with that? If you watch the ending of most pro football games (even college) you will see a group of Christian athletes coming together and praying. Yet I never heard mention of that. Let Tim Tebow do what he does with out judging him. If you must judge him, judge him as a pro football player, not his Christian and religious beliefs.Simply put, one has nothing to do with the other.

68. By Eli Rodriguez on Jul 3, 2012 | Reply

I don’t get it we started talking about McELROY and ended up talking about Tebow ……………………..LOL! Tebow Tebow Tebow!

69. By ron alexander on Jul 5, 2012 | Reply

RSpikes & Punchie, guys, chill out, this is not the time or place for this type of discussion! I could care less if Tebow wants to kneel and pray after he scores a T.D. or after the end of a game. We just celebrated our countries 236th birthday and we should take a second to remember “freedom of choice” was a big part of how we as a nation origanated! As long as he isn’t hurting anyone or preventing others from doing the same let it be. Guys, can you belive there is like 20 days till training camp opens? Is anybody out there excited? JOE, I know we dont have any good players and we will probably loose ever game until we get a “franchise Q.B. but aren’t you at least a little psyched?

70. By rspikes on Jul 5, 2012 | Reply

Ron:

You sounded like a smart and decent kind of fellow for the first 3/4 of you post, but someone else must have typed the last 1/4. That sounded really loopy.
    I don’t know if it was a tongue-in-cheek response to another poster, or if that was the real you talking.
    “No good players on this team”? “Will probably lose every game this year”? “Won’t win until the the Jets get a franchise quarterback”
    Those are some pretty goofy notions.
    I don’t think there can be any kind of intelligent response to such unintelligible gibberish.

71. By Ed in Tucson on Jul 6, 2012 | Reply

I’m in favor of the separation of church and football. I’m also for the separation of QB & Tebow. I’d like to see him listed as RB on the depth chart & line up as H back/TE. I’d love to see McElroy given a chance to start at QB. I saw the Pennington comparison when he was drafted; putting him @ QB would cut down on TOs & probably increase YACs. I’m psyched for the season to start & hope to see better play calling this year.

72. By ron alexander on Jul 6, 2012 | Reply

RSPIKES Yeah, sorry about that last line. I couldn’t resist takeing a shot at my buddy Joe(aka “the Deacon of Doom”!) Joe is a really good Jets fan who is burn’t out from 40+ years of losing. If you read some of his posts you will find it a little depressing to say the least. I think he’s a good guy, but his opinions are clouded by the teams lack of success since Joe Willie and the boys won our one SuperBowl. Anyway, Go Jets!

73. By scjoe on Jul 6, 2012 | Reply

rspikes,I think you misunderstood Ron’s post above. He was actually quoting someone else’s view of the upcoming Jets season.

74. By ron alexander on Jul 6, 2012 | Reply

Thanx S.C.Joe, yeah, that one came off a little goofy to say the least. I really didn’t want anyone to take it seriously! Geez, i dont want anyone confusing me with our “Deacon of Doom!

75. By the real TO on Jul 6, 2012 | Reply

I LIKE MCELROY AS OUR #2 ALMOST AS MUCH AS I LOVE HEARING IRA ON THE (W)FAN!!!

GREAT JOB IRA! U DESERVED THE ACCOLADES! GREAT HEARING YOUR STORY ON FRANCHESKAS SHOW. LOL

MCELROY MAY HAVE BEEN THROWING VS THE 2S AND 3S GUYS BUT HE WAS LEADING ALL NFL QBS IN QB RATING BEFORE HE HURT HIS THUMB SO KEEP AN EYE ON HIM THIS PRESEASON!!!! I REMEMBER SOME GUY NAMED CRUZ ON THE GMEN LIGHTING OUR 2S AND 3S UP IN THE PRESEASON TOO MAYBE U HEARD OF HIM???? HAHAHAHAHA DONT THROW THE BABY OUT W THE BATHWATER HAHA

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK IRA FROM STATEN ISLAND! WE LOVE YA AND LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR REPORTS FROM CORTLAND AS ALWAYS!!!! LATAAAZZZ

76. By Johnnywildfire on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

Lets put a twist to the comparison. People say tebow can’t quarterback and that sanchez is better. Think about the fact that tim played on a team that was 4 – 21 in the 25 games prior to him starting. He went 8 – 6 with that same team. He has the same win/loss ratio as Sanchez. Now imagine if Tim had been in NY these last 2 years with the same coach both years (remember he had 3 different coaches in Denver those 2 years), and imagine if sanchez had been playing in Denver all this time. Do you think sanchez would have accomplished the record he has as a pro, do you think tim wouldnt look even better

77. By ron alexander on Jul 19, 2012 | Reply

Johnnywilfire, Dude, have you gotten into the ‘WildTurkey so early? Tebow did a great job last year for the Bronc’s no doubt. But can you really imagine N.Y.Jet fans with a Q.B who completes like 35% of his passes?I dont think so! Tebow is probably never going to be a starting Q.B in this league unless he somehow figures out a way to throw the ball in the general direction of his recievers. If Tebow had been a Jet all this time he would have had to play the past two years under Schotty. Can you imagine that? With all Schotty’s complicated verbage and Tebows scattergun arm it would most likely been a continous run on America’s favorite Bloopers!Sorry dude, not happ’ning!

78. By rspikes on Jul 19, 2012 | Reply

ron alexander:

I guess that you have more football experience and savvy than guys like Joe Montana, Drew Brees, Jon Gruden, Mike Ditka, Peyton Manning and Urban Meyer. They all say that he is, and will be, a fine NFL quarterback.

I guess that all of his victories and awards in high school, college and the NFL were just lies or flukes, right? Or do you contend that Ohio State, Oklahoma and Pittsburgh, Alabama, LSU, San Diego, Kansas City, Chicago, Minnesota, Miami, and the Jets “threw” the game because they liked him so much?

It must be that you hate decent people, or those who profess their faith. After all, performance does not impress you.

79. By ron alexander on Jul 21, 2012 | Reply

R.Spikes, your kidd’n right? I sure hope you are as your comments are way off base!I never once questioned Tebow or any one else’s right to do the Tebow thing!Dude, I am a practicing christian & have no,issues with anyones beliefs. As for your comments about other peoples opinion of Tebow? I could care less what Montana, Bree’s oranyone says or what Tebow did in highschool or college! I go by what I see and a 35%comp.percentage and a 65 Q.B rating is not gonna get it done in the NFL my man. Especially not in the Ny> media market! Sorry dude, you must have me mixed up with someone else! Go Jets!

80. By rspikes on Jul 22, 2012 | Reply

Ron,
    Apologies for misidentifying you!
    As far as evaluating a person on only certain statistics goes, that is just plain sappy. It reminds me of a comedian’s witty remark “Those are my principles. If you do not like them, I have others.”
    You do not care for Super Bowl winning quarterbacks’ evaluations of players? Wow! Whose opinion do you value…. the neighbor’s butcher or barber?
    To say that you care only what Tebow has done in the NFL…did you sleep through the entire 2011 season? The Broncos won more playoff games than the Packers. His regular season record was better than Ei Manning’s. The only team to beat the Broncos made it to the Super Bowl.
    Most people regard winning as a higher priority than passing percentages. They do not give Super Bowl Trophies to the guys with the best stats.

81. By ron alexander on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

RSPIKES, Apology accepted! I suspect I know who’s comments you took issue with, but lets not go there! Dude, I respect everyone’s opinion you mentioned but I dont accept it as fact. What i do accept as fact is what I see with my own eyes.What I saw last year was Tebow really struggled against the Pats in last years playoffs. While he did complete several nice passes against the Steelers please keep in mind they were basically playing 8 ment in the box which leaves single coverage and Tebow hit some really nice passes as a result. Against New England he was just awful!He also struggles as a passer against us as well. I’m not a big stat guy either, but 35% is so far below acceptable that you just cant ignore it. When you say I ignored or dismissed opinionsof those you mentioned, please keep in mind there are also a lot of so-called experts who say the exact oppositeof what they said. Look dude, he’s on our team and I want him to play great so lets just agree to root for Tebow and go Jets!

82. By rspikes on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

Ron:
    I really do appreciate the gentlemanly tone and the content of your last post.
    I admit that I have been unable to be a Jets’ fan since Joe Namath came on the scene. I do not dispute his accomplishments, but I never liked him. To be fair, I have been unfair toward other Jets players strictly because of my disdain for him.
    I am now paying attention to the Jets, because Tebow is there, and I like what I see. There are many dedicated and stalwart players and persons in green and white. I have always been put off by the color green, for some silly or inane reason that I cannot explain, but I am ready to change, and adopt the uniform.

83. By ron alexander on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

RSPIKES,welcome to Jet world! Let me caution you,being a Jet fan is not easy. I have been a fan since they came into existence in 1963 as the N.Y.Titans.Obviously, our 1 championship is an excellent representation of our lack of success. Joe Namath like him or not is and most likely will always be the face of the franchise! He was the star of that one championship team and until we win another he will be that face.I must be honest with you.When I saw your post I was not a happy camper and if you read my original reply you no doubt wouldn’t be either. Fortunately, it was too long and Randy said he couldn’t print it. Upon reflection and cooling down a bit i decided to take the “high road’ and make my point in a more christian manner.I will look forward to reading your future posts and chatting with you again. I am glad you responded likewise.Have a great day and Go Jets!