Davis, Fellow Rookies Take In Some Baseball

Posted by Randy Lange on June 26, 2012 – 8:52 am

A number of the Jets rookies who are sticking around the North Jersey area had a chance Monday to do a little cross-training. They participated in some minor-league baseball.

Well, more accurately they made a field trip to Bridgewater, N.J., to take in the Somerset Patriots’ Atlantic League game against the Long Island Ducks.

Jets third-round linebacker Demario Davis even got to throw out the game’s first pitch. He was ready to do more.

“I always wondered why they didn’t draft me out of high school or wanted to draft me,” Davis kidded with Eric Allen of newyorkjets.com about organized baseball’s lack of interest in him before he fired that first pitch homeward. “I think tonight I can try to show a little bit of what I’ve got. I don’t know if I can get it up to 90 miles an hour but I’m going to try. We’ll have to figure out if the catcher gives me a curveball or a fastball, but whatever he gives me, I’m going to be ready.”

Davis is ready for a lot of different endeavors this summer. He talked about his wedding to “the love of my life,” Tamela Gill, on July 7 back home in Walnut Grove, Miss.

“We have a week once I get home from the NFL’s rookie symposium and we’re going to be joined together in front of the church and the family — I can’t wait for that,” Davis said. “Then we’ll be off to the Bahamas for the honeymoon.

“There’s a lot going on. I’m definitely excited. It’s going to be good to go home and get that rest and relaxation, and then come back fresh and get ready for training camp.”

Oh, yeah, Jets training camp in Cortland, N.Y., which begins in late July. Davis is prepared for that as well.

“It’s going to be fun just putting on the pads and being able to hit again,” he said. “I definitely can’t wait to get to Cortland, be back with all the team and get to work.”

Davis was with part of his team Monday afternoon and evening. Making the trip with him to the Patriots’ TD Bank Ballpark, were RB Terrance Ganaway, WR Jordan White, G Terrence Campbell, DT Matt Hardison, OL Fred Koloto and WR Royce Pollard, along with Montelle Sanders, the Jets’ manager of player development.

Laura Clemente was there as well representing the Jets’ social media wing. She took the fine photo of Davis loading up the high cheese. And she’ll have coverage of that first pitch and interviews with the Jets on their day at the ballpark available today on the Jets’ Facebook page.

For all of you who didn’t get enough of the Yanks’ Subway Series beatdown of the Mets in their two three-game weekend series, in Monday’s game Somerset manager Sparky Lyle, the former Yankee, and his Patriots put away the Ducks and co-owner and former Met Bud Harrelson, 3-2, on Freddy Bynum’s RBI double in the 13th inning.

But enough about the national pastime. As a sage friend of mine once said, “Every day of baseball … is a day closer to training camp.” And as of today for Davis, Pollard, Koloto and the rest of the Jets, the countdown clock reads 30 days until the Jets report to Cortland and 32 days until their first practice open to the public on Saturday, July 28.

Tags: , , , , ,

46 Responses to “Davis, Fellow Rookies Take In Some Baseball”

1. By IRA on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

Really looking forward to watching davis mix it up for real when camp opens. Think there is a lot of potential with Davis and i expect him to make an impact this year.

2. By Karan on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

Haven’t seen this guy play yet but I hear a lot of good things. He could be our next Bart Scott for many years to come, hear the guy is quite a leader.

3. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

ESPN’s Walker’s take on the O, like I’ve been saying: “Sparano is clear the Jets’ identity is running the football [with mostly unproven RBs -- my note]. But the team’s potential hidden treasures at WR also show a commitment to throwing deep when the situation calls for it. Hill, Schilens and Kerley are three under-the-radar receivers to keep an eye on. This group, along with No. 1 receiver Holmes, could help Sanchez take the next step. Hill is particularly intriguing. He’s a 2nd-round draft pick from Georgia Tech who didn’t catch a lot of passes but made big plays in college nearly every time he touched the football. He has the size and speed to get behind the defense if opponents stack the line.” — and they will (stack the line).

4. By scjoe on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

Davis sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders. Lets just hope Rex don’t declare him defensive ROY and prompt Davis to redo his contract his second year. Speaking of baseball Randy, wasn’t Kerley a highly rated player in college, a pitcher I believe?

5. By Randy Lange on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, Jeremy Kerley was a four-year letterman for Hutto (Texas) High School’s baseball team as a pitcher and outfielder who was recruited by Texas and Stanford to play baseball and talked after his junior season at TCU of walking on to the Horned Frogs’ baseball team.

6. By Chicago Bob on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

Lot of “if’s” out there however “if” Coples, HIll, Davis and either of these two safeties turn out to be what we hope, this draft could be one of the best in the team’s history and one that puts us back into serious contenders for a while. We shall see. If we can get thru the first 5 games of the season and be at 3-2, there is plenty of reason for optimism.

7. By jetsfan80 on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

It takes more than just good OL to run the ball well as a team. You need the deep threat at WR. As 64 Tom posted above from Walker’s take, they have got that speed threat now. Unfortunately, it also takes more than just the deep threat to run the ball well as a team….you gotta block. We just need Hunter and Co. to turn into run/pass blocking machines. That’s the piece we failed to add in the draft, I’m afraid. I hope they prove me wrong b/c I’d love to see our Jets contending for a SB again this year.

8. By GaryC on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

Karan, please,I want davis to be the anti Bart Scott, more tackles,less talking.

9. By uncle joe on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

I think Terrence Gannaway is gonna be one of the biggest surprises of this draft.

10. By uncle joe on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

It just seems like every pick (including Tebow) that the Jets made in this year’s draft has the Potential to be one of those “How did everyone pass on this Guy” type player!

11. By DKM on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

from you previous post’s SCJOE how about Jeff George?

12. By DKM on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

jfs64 like you been saying ” for Sanchez to take the next step”, i hope it is a ESPN Mr. Walker quote NOT YOURS. just saying.

13. By DKM on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

Ira good luck today with Mike F. will be listening

14. By DKM on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

CHI Bob agree ” IF ” lets get to Cortland first and then we see what we got, it looks ok on paper.
    RT still is a big concern so is the Backup situation on the OL i dont care how hard they try to sell us everything is honky dorie and we see improvements daily.Whatever, unless we see it in a game, they can say whatever they want.
    And as it stands RB, S, are not much better either, just whole bunch of newbees and hasbeens.

15. By DKM on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

The only good thing compare to last year here is the change of coaches other then that it is the same O as last year except for a couple of Draftpicks.
    MMMHHH so we underachieved last year and the Brass never admited it and got away with it, no improvements doing FA , lets face it we dont know how the rookies pan out, and everybody is allready cherring that we will be better, let me ask you based on what?
    I dont see it as it stands, show me the iimprovments in player personel, we are as of right now the same 8-8 Team as last year.

16. By DKM on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

Great stuff there from IRA and Mike F. congrats.
    GO JETS

17. By Tom Spicer on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

Everything I have read so far says Wilkerson, Davis & Coples are doing a great job. Lets hope that leads to wins when the games start.

18. By Tom Spicer on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

I got this from Rotoworld about Greene. For a power back listed at 226, Greene only occasionally moves the pile on his own. He’s far too often tackled directly at the line of scrimmage. Greene can be tough to bring down in space, but he rarely gets there, lacking any hint of lateral moves and possessing below-average short-area burst. No one would argue that the Jets’ O-Line is as effective as it was in its heyday but Greene left a ton of yardage on the field by failing to recognize cutback lanes or hit them with purpose when he did. He has remarkably slow feet for a running back, and Greene’s poor vision is just as worrisome.

19. By Tom Spicer on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

Greene certainly lacks speed to get the corner. He must have creases up the gut to create solid gains I admittedly entered these games viewing Greene as a pedestrian talent. He was even worse than I expected. Greene’s positives are few. He does look the part at 5-foot-11, 220-plus and can be hard to tackle with a full head of steam. But because he sees the field so poorly and takes so long to hit top speed, I’d hesitate to even call Greene a back who “gets what’s blocked.” He gets less than that. The Jets under GM Mike Tannenbaum have done a putrid job of evaluating offensive talent within their own organization. Greene and swinging-gate right tackle Wayne Hunter are prime examples of what will likely prove franchise-dooming incompetency.

20. By Tom Spicer on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

Both players are slated for starting roles in 2012.

21. By Bennett on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

The Jets had 103 penalties in 2011 ranking 18th in the league… sure seemed worse when you watched them. Mulligan and Hunter combined for 20 alone. Many of the afore mentioned penalties were either drive killers or in the case of the oppositon enabled a stalled drive to continue. This boils down to discipline and teaching that must be drumed into the players non stop at practice over and over again untile it is instictive. A highly penalized team is a sloopy team and a sloopy team can not win. This is the job of all the coaches and is a fundamental of good football. All teams will get flags more than a few will be the result of bad officals, you can not add to the totals with dumb ones.

22. By Bennett on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

I will bet the farm on one thing… after a penalty laden game on a Parcells team there would be heck to pay the following week starting in the film room

23. By Karan on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

Haha, i agree with that GaryC

24. By Karan on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

Jets need to boost up this O-line! Get rid of Hunter!

25. By SCfromNY on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

Im am hoping with a new Offense and co-ordinater the weak spots on the line can grow into decent players. Everyone seems to forget thet last year the Giants had to plug in OL players and shuffle positions and it turned out OK for them partially because their defense got them the ball back quickly and the O was not a turnover machine. Of course the Giants had Eli so let’s see if Sanchez’s bad habits and weak attributes were an anomoly in 2011and he can shake off his sulking and desperation throws.

26. By scjoe on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

Tom Spicer, you are right and Rotoworld is right on. These are the very things I have been “talking” about for the past year. No running game, no starting RT, no b/u center, no quality depth along the O line, no blocking TE, YET, they want to be a “run first” offense. THEN, they go out and trade a few picks to move up and select what?? A WR. Great work Mr T. I know I will be called negative “again” but I am also right.

27. By scjoe on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

DKM, if you are referring to the arm strength post with Jeff George, lets not forget Russell out in Oakland either. If memory serves me, he could throw the ball 70 yards in the air on his knees. That really helped his “short” career take off, didn’t it? Imagine, just imagine what he could have been if he had some of the other qualities you need to play the QB position. He didn’t!

28. By Bennett on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

The more I think about it the more I realize now what a raw deal Schotty got. He got slammed for not taking the leash off Sanchez than when he took the leash off the turnovers started and he was slammed again. He was slammed for his short dink and dunk passing offense but he realized Sanchez was incapable of going long before any one else did. He was slammed for getting away from the ground and pound but he had no tools other than an aged superstar. Than the start looking for a replacement WHILE HE STILL HAS THE JOB. Notice he never has said a critical word. I think other coaches realized his no win situation, and I just slammed him almost daily for all the teams problems. He is a class guy

29. By 40 year fan on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

I have to say one thing in regards to L.T. and his stint here in New York …I will never forget that sideline speech he gave before the jets eliminated the patriots in the playoffs . ” I am willing to die out here in this game , Are you ? ” he got our boys fired up …

30. By oasus on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

as bad as the RT situation is…from my perspective it looks like the Jets org. is waiting for better tackle prospects in next year’s draft. In the mean time, they are hoping Hunter can be good enough to last a season (which I hope he can, but I have my reservations).
    Spice, as far as an edge rusher, the closest thing we have to that would be Joe McKnight. It wouldn’t be Greene in a million years.

31. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

It was a Walker quote, DKM — I think Sanchez needs to take several steps this year, and not into onrushing sackers, either, as he is wont to do at times.

32. By DKM on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

there you go TSpicer and thats without me reading the article, there wasnt a inprovement made on the Offense unless some of the guys have a remarkalbly different season than last, and i dont see it. And that shows the incompetence of the FO wich im saying all along.

33. By Chicago Bob on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

DKM, don’t underestimate the effect Sparano will have on this O compared to BS – his ability to get more out of the offensive players is light years ahead of what BS was able to do. Getting Burress off the team was another positive move. This team did not make it to the AFC championship by luck and last year they got a much needed wake up call. There is still time to pick up a short term ORT if no one can handle it during camp – there are always a fair amount of solid players being cut – Tanny will do everything possible to bring someone in if ORT looks like the trainwreck it was last year. They could only fix so many things after last year and obviously when there were OT’s on the board, the other positional players were ranked higher.

34. By wayne on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

Spice, you sure are setting up excuses for your boy…..NOW, you see that Greene is isn’t the answer…..I’ve been saying that for a couple a years now…..And swinggate is a RT….Obviously your boy must be left handed because he never seem to see rush or appear capable of coming up with any answers for it.

35. By IRA on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

DKM,
    Thanks man it was a lot of fun.
    Tom,
    Interesting take on Greene in that article. I think with McKnight, Ganaway and Tebow added to the running game Greene will be more effective.

36. By 40 year fan on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

It is hard to look at running backs when we were spoiled with Curtis Martin …It was like watching a ferrari in a field of honda civics …

37. By 40 year fan on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

If Sparano is going with the ground and pound scheme it would behoove us to make a trade for a top running back …

38. By 40 year fan on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

I would go with Sanchez at this point . But he was in a stronger position when we had Braylon and J CO . We are considerably weaker now at reciever …Question marks remain for me for our entire Q.B. staff ….

39. By 40 year fan on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

But we did improve with our draft …I feel good about this last draft …

40. By IRA on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

Karan,
    You have to see what Hunter can do this summer before anybody hits the panic button. I give him a pass on last year. No excuses he had an off year but a lot of other things were going on with the OL too. He is better than that and i really do believe he will have a good year. This will be a very interesting camp this summer for sure.
    GO JETS!!!!

41. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

You’re right about lacking the tools to really play ground and pound, scjoe, and in fact the Jets have no intention of playing ground and pound, at least in the way Rex has always talked about it. He just doesn’t know what else to say, knowing and caring little about the O. Sparano’s version of ground and pound, which relied on better RBs to begin with, involves a lot better and longer throwing than we had last yr, so we’ll see if Sanchez and the OL can get it together this yr. But you’re wrong about Russell, while he had a strong arm it was also one of the most inaccurate ones I’ve ever seen, a little like that of a guy named…Tim Tebow?

42. By since shea on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

I dont know why Hunter is getting this “pass”. Its almost like everyone is completely confident that Hunter will be good this year! Are we setting ourselves up for disaster by not having gotten a solid proven quality replacement should there be a repeat of last year? Read Jetfan80′s post. Its spot on in terms of not addressing the issue in the draft. We needed the insurance. Nice job WC.

43. By scjoe on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

64, great point about Sparanos ground and pound in Miami with Brown, Williams, Fasano, Long, etc. The pieces were in place. Lets see what the Jets version will produce with Greene, Keller and Hunter as the pieces. re Russell? his inaccuracy was part of the missing intangibles to which I was referring. His arm strength alone got him nowhere. Ira, if you wait to long into the summer on Hunter, it may be to late and you may indeed wind up hitting the panic button.

44. By Karan on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

IRA, I hope you are right. I will admit when Damien Woody went down in the 2010 playoffs and even before the end of the season actually, Hunter did a really really good job of filling in. My only concern is that he a major back-up player but not a starting quality tackle. But I agree, let’s see what happens in training camp. Even Brick had an off year, maybe this new offense and even the O-line coach can turn this thing around.

45. By Tom Spicer on Jun 28, 2012 | Reply

Wayne, I guess you have not been reading my posts for the last 2 years. I was 1 of the first if not the 1st to point out the play of Hunter & Greene when many others did not see this fact as of yet.

46. By Jimmer on Jul 1, 2012 | Reply

Ira, most of us hit the panic button on the Hunter front about week 4 last year. Most of us haven’t stopped since nothing has been addressed. It’s like hitting the fire button on space invaders.