• Tue., Sep. 16, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Jets Extra Point Analysis of the previous week’s game and exclusive interivews with Jets players and coaches
  • Wed., Sep. 17, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Jets Open Mic

Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences

• Wed., Sep. 17, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM EDT Jets Extra Point Analysis of the previous week’s game and exclusive interivews with Jets players and coaches
  • Wed., Sep. 17, 2014 5:20 PM - 5:35 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Thu., Sep. 18, 2014 2:30 PM - 3:15 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Thu., Sep. 18, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Thu., Sep. 18, 2014 10:00 PM - 10:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan

A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup

• Fri., Sep. 19, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Fri., Sep. 19, 2014 2:00 PM - 2:15 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Fri., Sep. 19, 2014 3:30 PM EDT Live Press Conferences: Coordinators Dennis Thurman, Marty Mornhinweg and Thomas McGaughey will address the media following practice.

Sparano Surveys His Offensive Work in Progress

Posted by Eric Allen on July 10, 2012 – 3:09 pm

Summer class is about to commence for the Jets offense at SUNY Cortland. New O-coordinator Tony Sparano liked the retention of his students in the spring, but the pop quizzes should only get more difficult going forward.

“It’s been really interactive in the classroom. We try to keep them on their toes,” Sparano told me in the spring. “I’ll ask a lot of questions and demand answers and get quick answers from them. They don’t want to be wrong. They’re competitive and I like that about them.”

Mark Sanchez was a prized pupil and performed well in early sessions, but the Jets starter will ultimately be graded in the fall and the winter. His 26 pass TDs in 2011 almost equaled the combined total of his first two pro seasons (12 in 2009, 17 in 2010), but the 26 turnovers (18 interceptions, eight fumbles) were a career-high.

“What Mark’s been doing a really good job of right now is making good clean decisions out there with the football in his hand,” Sparano said in June.

While the ball will be released from Sanchez’s right hand, the transformation in his legs has been overlooked outside the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center.

“I see a tremendous increase in his lower-body strength right now. He’s gotten stronger all over the place, but his lower-body strength — which is really what good quarterbacks need to throw the ball well — I think has improved a lot and that’s really carried over on to the field,” Sparano said. “You see him throw the deep ball or you see him throw the 18-, 20-yard out routes right now with good zip on the football.”

Sparano celebrated with a fist pump after Sanchez delivered a red zone rocket to TE Dustin Keller in the back of the end zone on the first day of minicamp.

“Sometimes the ball can end up over the top, but sometimes it has to go on the back shoulder in a tight spot,” Sparano said. “Mark threw it there and Dustin adjusted well to it. That’s a heck of a play.”

The Jets were hamstrung last season by the costly turnovers and a lack of chunk plays in the passing game. Teams didn’t respect the offense’s vertical prowess and that meant less room to operate. But the Green & White went out and signed Chaz Schilens in free agency and then drafted Stephen Hill in the hopes they could draw some attention away from game-changing wideout Santonio Holmes and Keller.

“I think athletically Stephen has a lot of outstanding qualities. He’s big, he’s tall, he’s strong, he can run. He does all the those things, but the thing I’ve been most impressed with is his awareness out there,” Sparano said. “His awareness to attack coverages, his awareness to attack press defenders — he’s physical with them. He’s really done a nice job that way. He competes for the ball when it’s in the air.”

Keller is Sanchez’s security blanket — his 65 receptions and 815 receiving yards led the Jets in 2011. Sparano likes to employ multiple-TE sets and he wants to get Keller on the move.

“The more you can use Dustin in different places, I think the better off that we’ll be offensively because he is a weapon and I know that first-hand,” said the former Dolphins head coach.

Joe McKnight proved last season that he was a weapon on kick returns, leading the NFL with a 31.6-yard average. While Shonn Greene figures to be the bellcow, can the muscled-up McKnight become a major contributor on offense in his third season?

“This guy can really run. He is an explosive player. He has good hands but he has good run skills,” Sparano said of the former USC Trojan. “Joe has done a nice job this offseason getting bigger and stronger, and putting weight on and holding weight. That’s been a real positive because he hasn’t lost a step athletically out there from a speed standpoint and he’s gotten bigger and stronger. So that allows you to use him a little bit more in different ways.”

The Jets are big and strong up front along the line, featuring three Pro Bowl players in C Nick Mangold, LT D’Brickashaw Ferguson and RG Brandon Moore. With LG Matt Slauson rehabbing from offseason shoulder surgery, Vlad Ducasse stepped in and repeatedly earned praise form head coach Rex Ryan and Sparano.

“Vlad has been working in there with that first group right now and he’s been getting better. The more reps he gets, I think, the more comfortable he starts to feel,” said Sparano. “He’s a big, powerful man, a good athlete. He’s done a nice job for us.”

We will have a lot to monitor on offense once we move our base to SUNY Cortland for the third time in four years and we haven’t even discussed the Tim Tebow dynamic. Sparano, a self-proclaimed no-nonsense coach, gave his unit passing marks in the spring.

“Hard-work ethic. I’ve been very impressed with the way they’ve attacked the offseason program,” he said. “Our offseason attendance has been off-the-charts good, our players have been really in tune and asking good questions, spending a lot of time at it, studying well. And when we get out on the field, they understand it’s about business out there and they’re working pretty hard. I think tempo of the practices has been really good. They’ve been crisp.”

Expectations will be high. Sparano won’t accept careless errors and if the ball is turned over, everybody had better be running like hell.

“I don’t like to look back a whole lot, but you have to sometimes to make progress. I think there was some hidden yardage there on turnovers, turnovers for touchdowns and those types of things,” he said. “It’s a part of our league and the bottom line is if you turn the football over, maybe all of a sudden the guy picks the ball up and gains 30 yards. Well that’s three first downs in a game and it takes an awful lot to gain three first downs in a game.

“What we’re trying to teach here is if the ball is turned over — on the rare occasion that it may happen — we’re going to get as many people to the football as we can and tackle the football. So when that happens in practice, I send every person, every coach, everybody running after the football at that point.”

Tags: , , , , , ,
Posted in Eric Allen | 88 Comments »

88 Responses to “Sparano Surveys His Offensive Work in Progress”

1. By steven on Jul 10, 2012 | Reply

Way to go Coach.
    The things that made me sick in the past watching the Jets was stupid things. Right when they are about to win and all of a sudden there is a stupid penalty, turnover, missed tackle, lazy pounce, miscue, missed assignment, something stupid. You hate rooting for the Jets because stupid is stupid. Now it sounds like the Jets won’t be a joke. I want to see WALL STREET on defense and Jet fighters on Offense. It should be Revis islands in the secondary and the mine field in the middle where the linebackers blow people up. Thanks Mark for building up the legs. Build the legs now they will last all season. Green Bay Packers don’t play around.Guys get in shape, watch the miracle movie. CHANGE YOUR IMAGE be a TEAM and WIN.

2. By ron alexander on Jul 10, 2012 | Reply

I’m starting to really like Sparano. I believe the players need to be held accountable for all aspects of their job. These guys are making stupid money and there is no excuse for not being able to perform all aspects of their job. Knowing your assignments, not committing stupid penalties, coming in in shape, and giving good honest effort are things the coaches and we as fans have every right to expect! I really like the no-nonsence approach Sparano is taking. i hope Rex is reading this stuff. I am a Rex fan but when he said he needed to learn the offence after what happaned at the end of the year I must admit I was shocked! How can the H.C not know whats going on with his team? Go Jets!!

3. By Albanyjet on Jul 10, 2012 | Reply

Good to hear that Vlad is contributing. They will need him for depth

4. By scjoe on Jul 10, 2012 | Reply

Nice story, ON PAPER! Lets see how all of what Sparano says will translate on to the playing field. IF Hill or Schilens don’t step up, and IF Greene can’t handle the load as a lead back, and IF there is absolutely no improvement from Hunter at RT, this offense (or lack there of) will be right back to where they were last season. I still think the D will be formidable, but how long will they be out on the field if the offense consistently losses the TOP battle.

5. By SCfromNY on Jul 10, 2012 | Reply

I will put my skepticism aside about Sanchez and the offense for now. Enough complaints. Fair and balanced I will see how Sanchez does when the season starts. Certainly the first 4 games will be telling. Parcells always liked to separate the season into quarters. A good first quarter will set the tone for the rest of the season. “And we haven’t even discussed the Tebow dynamic” : My optimism stops here. I don’t care if the D is 3rd or 13th as long as points allowed is under 5th. If we beat the same AFC teams as NE, split with NE, and NE loses to 49ers while we don’t, we take the division.

6. By TONY GARCIA on Jul 10, 2012 | Reply

SEASON is still awhile away.LIKE what we did in draft faster.

7. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 10, 2012 | Reply

This article makes me think Rex is history no matter what our record this yr, because Sparano talks about the O like neither Rex nor Schotty ever did. Schotty just sat there with his clipboard of plays that required a million shifts at the line and gained 2 yds. Rex couldn’t even stay in the conversation that Sparano has offered here about the O. Rex didn’t know what to do with McKnight or Kerley and probably wanted to draft a CB instead of Hill. Sparano talks about all 3 like what they should be — our youngest, fastest, smartest players and the ones with the most ability to stretch the field. And all Rex ever did was say “Mark’s the starter” while Sparano actually works on his mechanics. Good riddance, Rex Ryan, long live Tony Sparano!

8. By Tom Spicer on Jul 10, 2012 | Reply

I have hopes for this team this year I think the O line will be much better. Mangold, Moore & Slauson were all hurt last year with them back healthy our O line will be good to go. If we could get Hunter to play like he did in the last 6 games & the playoffs of 2010 instead of the doormat he was last year. We can have 1 of the top lines in the NFL. I am excited for Kerley this year his 2nd year & his 1st full year as the 3rd WR & punt returner. Aslo Mcknight in his 1st full year as the full time kick returner & 3rd down pass catching back. Hill I think is a bigger, faster & 15 years younger than Plax in football thats like 45 years. I think big things will come from him. In 2 years I think he will be the Jets #1 WR. I also see much better

9. By Tom Spicer on Jul 10, 2012 | Reply

play from the Safteys with Landry & Bell. Plus I see a better pass rush this year with Coples & the team playing more 4 – 3 making us a better pass rushing team. We had a top 5 D last year & I see them anywhere from 3 to 1 this year. The combo of Greene, Mcknight & Tebow are really going to pound the ball in the running game & control the clock. I think Sanchez & Greene better watch there backs cause Tebow & Mcknight I think are going to be trying to take there jobs this year. I have heard nothing but good things about this Davis kid they took the LB & I watched a few Baylor games last year to check out RG3 & I can tell you right now this Ganaway kid is a player just based off what I saw he is better than Powell. Yea I am drinking the

10. By Tom Spicer on Jul 10, 2012 | Reply

Kool Aid so what I have been for 38 years & it aint going to change anytime soon. J E T S JETS JETS JETS!

11. By JOHNNYA on Jul 10, 2012 | Reply

gotta tell ya.. i hated Sporano, but then again, i hate evrybody in Aqua with that dopey fish on the helmet! I like this guy as OC. After the past 12 yrs of Hacket and Shotty, ive had it with the outcouached, in over their heads OC’s our head coaches hired!

12. By Jamrom2 on Jul 11, 2012 | Reply

Good article. As mentioned already, sounds great in words and on paper. Spring OTA’s and Training Camp are always full of fantasty expectations from the Jets. For once, shut-up, work hard, practice like you want to win, finish strong and dominate. I can’t bare to watch another season of running on 2nd and 2 when we should have been going deep…or giving up the big drives when we should be shutting opponents down (Tebow’s drive). The Jets have always had great talent on their teams, but never were able to put it all together. Thanks to the Patriots, In the AFC East… you HAVE to win 11 or more, period. Anything less… forget it. On paper, we look great again… let’s see it happen on game day this year.

13. By IRA on Jul 11, 2012 | Reply

Sory not sold on Ducasse until i see it in practice and the preseason. Once again they should’ve kept Turner. Sparano is going to make a big difference and yes Sanchez has got stronger in his lower body. Its one of the first things in minicamp i noticed was his legs looked bigger. I expect a big year from him. McKnight if used right the way the Pats used Woodhead should make some big plays this year. He has too much athletic ability they must take advantage of.

14. By IRA on Jul 11, 2012 | Reply

EA, Thats right not having a deep threat last year made it tough on Keller and Holmes. D’s were able to cheat on them. And like you said with Schilens not the fastest but can get down field and Hill it should at least open things up for Keller and Holmes and even Kerley. I think Kerley will have a much bigger role this year and maybe Sparano uses him the ways he used Bess.
    I do disagree with Greene being the so called bellcow RB. I do think he is a 1200 yd RB but in todays NFL you must have a 3 RB rotation and they will with Greene, Ganaway and McKnight and you can throw in a 1/2 of a RB with Tebow!

15. By Mark on Jul 11, 2012 | Reply

I wonder if opposing defenses were not worried about deep passing threat because they knew Sanchez would be pressured/sacked before that type of play could develop.

16. By IRA on Jul 11, 2012 | Reply

One of the guys i am looking forward to watching this summer is Sapp. If he is healthy i think he could surprise a lot of people. Also i want to see how Maybin looks getting more reps. Another important battle is going to be the 4th CB spot where Lankster, Posey, Trufant, Fletcher and Steed will all get their shots. still wish they would sign D.Coleman for better depth and insurance.

17. By Bill McDonough on Jul 11, 2012 | Reply

I like the hard line Sparano is taking with the O line.Maybe with a little more time to throw,Sanchez may look better than people give him credit for. The play calling from Shotty was not only confusing to the fans,but the players looked bewildered themselves. GO Jets

18. By Bennett on Jul 11, 2012 | Reply

Let me see if I got this right. Ryan, known as on of the top defensive coaches, as a rookie coach brings his team to the AFC champ. game 2 years in a row with a 22 yr old rookie pretty boy, turnover machine for a QB and has a top rated defense within his first year shouldl be fired for Sporano who was such a great head coach that his team did not even wait untile the end of the season but found it necessary to fire him mid season, and who has not even presided over his first game as a Jet…. Have I got this right…good ole Jet Fan the Man Tom 64 ??????

19. By dave on Jul 11, 2012 | Reply

hmmm … how do you write an optimistic article about the Jets offense? Don’t mention the name Wayne Hunter. I, unlike almost all of my Jet fan friends, believe in Mark. I look at his numbers and big performances in playoff games and I like what I see. Yes, he needed to get stronger, to make him more durable and more able to sustain a big hit without coughing up the rock. I also think he needed to grow into the game, just like brees or eli or rogers, who didnt even get on the field in his first 3 years. Defense will be stellar and I love the addition of Sparano. He seems to simplify the offense and do the simple things better – we need him to be like terry collins. However, if they stick with Hunter, we simple can not win it all.

20. By dave on Jul 11, 2012 | Reply

It all starts up front on offense, and without five good lineman, you can’t be a great team. Everyone wants do change the wideouts, to get a better deep strike offense, but jerry rice couldnt have gotten open, if montana didnt have time to let him get down the field.

With every off-season move the jets made, i thought to myself “gee, that guys could make our team better for sure, but I wonder why they didnt use that money on a serviceable RT” Then during the draft I looked for an RT, but not til the 6th round. Every time a rb makes a big play or a wideout gets down the feild to make a big catch, he only did so, because no one got tackled or sacked in the backfield. This is a dire situation for our squad, and i fear it may be too late!

21. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 11, 2012 | Reply

I like everything but the part about Tebow…

22. By Marco on Jul 11, 2012 | Reply

Isn’t it great to have a COMPETENT Offensive Coordinator after so many years of a joke? This is the biggest improvement the team has made on offense – getting Sparano to replace Schotty.

Player-wise, I have huge hopes for Hill and Schilens and major fear about Holmes, the locker room poison. I hope Ganaway can offer back up duties because Powell is a bust. Sanchez will have the best year of his career now that someone who knows how to call plays is in charge. The line is healthier than last year.

So with the huge improvement on defense that is already evident, I see no reason that (with some luck on the injury front) this team will not be a contender for the AFC East again! Go Jets!!

23. By ron alexander on Jul 11, 2012 | Reply

Mark, You are dead on Dude! Sanchez had no time to throw deep last year. Ira, I agree with you about letting Turner go. Bad move! He was the perfect back-up at every O.L. posisition and probably better than Hunter at R.T as well.I also agree about Ducasse. He has shown absoloutely nothing(except an ability to get caught holding, or committing ill.motion penalty’s. I have zero faith in him. Spicer, I saw a lot of Baylor games too and Ganaway was a beast! I hope he is as good as he looked too! keep in mind though that opponents were a lot more concerned about RGIII throwing or running than they were about Ganaway.S.Cfrom NY, one of the best posts I have seen here! You make a lot of great points. I agree with them all! Nice job dude!

24. By steven on Jul 11, 2012 | Reply

If the Offense can protect Sanchez, the Jets will have a chance. If only Hayden Smith pans out to his potential he will be Gronk for the Jets. The whole key for the offense will be protecting the QB and limiting turnovers. TO’s is what wins the games. The team with the most TO’s wins the games. The goal of the defense is to create TO’s and the goal of the Offense is No TO’s. The Joy of the Fans is TO’s and the anger of fans is TO’s. If Tony Sparano makes it so every Jet fears a TO on offense and every Jets hungers for TO’s on Defense, He will have been a great Coach. It looks like this Jets defense has the potential of stiking fear into their opponents like the Ravens, if the safetys do their job. Put on muscle on and last all season.

25. By steven on Jul 11, 2012 | Reply

If Tebow and Mark can play together on the same plays, defenses will have no choice but to be honest because there is no limit with two QB’s on the field at the same time. If tebow runs around the end the cornerback has to come leave his WR to come up and get the QB which leaves the WR open for TEbow to throw to. If he cornerback stays on the WR then Tebow can run in the open. There isnt a surefire way to beat that play. Either way Tebow wins. Imagine Tebow running a fake bootleg where the whole offense fakes one way and the QB runs the other way and as the defense sees the fake and goes after Sanchez, he throws it to Tebow on the other side who then throws to the open WR’s. What can they do but watch.

26. By oasus on Jul 11, 2012 | Reply

IRA, Greene would have had more if Shottenheimer didn’t try to make the team something it isn’t.

27. By oasus on Jul 11, 2012 | Reply

IRA, chill out on Greene. He’s gonna be fine. Sparano will make him better.

28. By scjoe on Jul 11, 2012 | Reply

Again, not a big fan of The Bleacher Report, but can’t disagree with their list of veteran players the Jets should take a long look at going in to camp. They include, Vernon Carey(RT),Kareem McKenzie(RT), Cedric Benson (RB, who I believe could move right up the depth chart to #1) Max Starks (who is rehabbing currently, but would be an immediate upgrade at RT) they also mention BE, and if healthy I would go along with that as well.The other was Visanthe Shiancoe (TE) but I think the Jets are set at that spot. I firmly believe that at least one of these players will be brought in.

29. By 40 year fan on Jul 11, 2012 | Reply

Unfortunately other teams can tee off on Keller , hopefully we can spread it around and take some heat off …Santonio is over rated ..i would rather have Braylon Edwards on any day …or J Co …Hopefully our new additions will work out , but I do not have too much confidence in our offense . I like Sparano though . Keep workin hard

30. By 40 year fan on Jul 11, 2012 | Reply

And Vlad would have to be getting better , there was no other direction to go but up

31. By 40 year fan on Jul 11, 2012 | Reply

If Vlad turns his deal around it will be the biggest turnaround in football

32. By 40 year fan on Jul 11, 2012 | Reply

In the back of your mind is the concern that Sanchez won’t be tough enough for the AFC East , but he has done better than I thought he would do here …

33. By 40 year fan on Jul 11, 2012 | Reply

I hope we don’t see Vlad just get blown up like every time I watch that guy …

34. By 40 year fan on Jul 11, 2012 | Reply

Just as an insurance policy I hope we have a plan B , just in case Vlad doesn’t work …

35. By 40 year fan on Jul 11, 2012 | Reply

I hope Vlad works out , I am rooting for him …It’s just reality

36. By 40 year fan on Jul 11, 2012 | Reply

Tebow definately throws in a wild cat threat …But who likes the wild cat ? ..But we have the best chance of running it now …

37. By GaryC on Jul 11, 2012 | Reply

Look, send Hill, Schilens,Holmes,and Keller down the field and it opens it up for the screen to McKnight,if this play isn’t in the playbook,their better be an investigation.

38. By 40 year fan on Jul 11, 2012 | Reply

I like Sparanos’ hard nosed approach , keep it up …don’t go soft …

39. By smokey on Jul 11, 2012 | Reply

i like everything i’ve seen/heard from sparano. jets have some serious weapons, we just needed an OC who can put it all together, and i think he may be the guy. i love how absolutely no one is taking the jets seriously, meanwhile all we’ve done is get better and faster. i think we’re gonna surprise a lot of people this season. CAN’T WAIT!

40. By IRA on Jul 11, 2012 | Reply

oasus,
    I think you don’t understand what i mean about Greene. I said he is a 1200 yd RB. But i don’t want to see him get more than 275 carries. First of all he hasn’t shown he can stay healthy plus his legs will be fresher for a playoff run if they use him the right way. The days of having a RB carry the ball 300 plus times are over for the most part except for MJD, Rice and Turner. Foster had 278 carries for 1224 yds and i think Greene can give you the same. What the Texans did do was have tate carry the ball 175 for 942 yds. Now thats a good combo. Would love to see the Jets get that type of production out of their two top RB’s. Foster did miss three games so Tate did get extra work.
    GO JETS!!!!

41. By ron alexander on Jul 11, 2012 | Reply

IRA,Dude,you are a “real fan”! the stuff you bring up is spot on! I love that you brought up Sapp. Nobody is talking about him but this dude is an athletic freak. Big,strong fast with a real mean streak. The 4th corner & 5th and 6th are very important too. Not just for depth.With all the 4 & 5 reciever sets offences are playing you need coverage guys.Dont forget the safty we drafted(Bush was a corner till his Sr. year and has excellent coverage skills. S.C Joe, you are the man Dude!Great point about available F.A’s still out there. Any one of the O.T’s would be an upgrade over Hunter. Steven, I love your enthusiam dude, not sure I agree with you about Hayden Smith(he’s never played a down yet?) But keep up the good work my man!

42. By ron alexander on Jul 11, 2012 | Reply

BENNETT< your killing me dude! were gonna miss you when you get well and go back to work. (but please do!) Ya gotta go light on my man TOM64 though cause he's like a legend here on this site.MARCO, good stuff, I agree. Sparano is a hugh upgrade over Schotty. It will all come down to can we protect Sanchez cause he has shown he can get the job done when he has the time.DAVE said the same thing too. No blocking no deep passes!Aaron Rogers would have looked bad with our O.L last year.

43. By danny on Jul 11, 2012 | Reply

Right on Ron with our O line last yr. MS got DESTROYED at times and was so shook up he was throwing off his back foot. Now don’t give me cause he can’t handle pressure the dude got KILLED. If Rodgers got hit from every angle almost every time he dropped back he would be shook too. It is one thing to step in the pocket and throw under pressure and it’s another to get DESTROYED every time you drop back Ken Obrien style. Do u remember the Ravens blitzing Ed Reed from the blindside and NO ONE picking him up so he puts his helmet in MS back and he fumbles, As a QB you have to have confidence in your guys to pick up the blitz and MS did not have any confidence in his guys. How could he ?? If we protect him we will win this yr

44. By IRA on Jul 11, 2012 | Reply

ron, You are correct about the amount of depth you need in todays NFL to be able to handle all the 4 and 5 WR sets. Listen i love the Bell signing and IF Landry can stay on the field it would be great. My major concern is that teams will expose them for their lack of speed. Lets face it they are both perfect to play in the box or level WR’s coming over the middle. But to expect them to cover one on one 15 yds or longer i think you are kidding youself. I still think they will have to hope Bush steps up and can contribute right away or T. Wilson can help out too. Otherwise they will be in the market for a true free safety.

45. By IRA on Jul 11, 2012 | Reply

While i know Leonhard is proabaly not in the picture anymore he did post a 55% comp rate at passes thrown in his coverage area. Bell and Landry were both around 65-70%. Thats a big difference.

46. By Danny on Jul 11, 2012 | Reply

Everybody needs to buy in! fans included. Rex changed the culture when he was hired with his first press conference. The JETS are coming! Lets get after it!!!

47. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 11, 2012 | Reply

Thanks for the support, Ron, but I can take care of myself. Bennett, you’re only as good as your last picture and Rex’s last picture — us in 2011, not THAT’S MY BOY — tanked. He’s failed to develop Sanchez — failed to develop any young players, really — wasted Holmes, drafted almost nobody of consequence and done cartwheels over players of less consequence like Conner. We backed into the playoffs his 1st yr and played 1 good half vs IND, did slightly better to make the playoff his 2nd yr and played worse vs. PIT. If you’re happy to just make the playoffs and lose, Rex is your man. If you want someone who rides herd on this lax, lazy team and gets every ounce of talent out of our overrated roster, Sparano looks and sounds like the guy.

48. By kw65fan on Jul 12, 2012 | Reply

My god PEOPLE….WAKE UP….Sparano has NEVER…I say NEVER…been an Offense coordinator in the NFL….was offense assistant in Dallas…but NEVER a coordinator. AND he was a Head Coach for a losing team…although with a Quacky Owner. Come on people…making him sound like the next Bill Walsh…and he is NOT that either. Big mouth…excitable on the sidelines is what I saw when he was with Miami….did it work..NO….players played their hearts for him…NO. Gee Tom64…what you said above about Rex is what Sparano did exactly in Miami and i thought you knew. sounds like the same things YOU said when Rex first came on board.

49. By kw65fan on Jul 12, 2012 | Reply

Lets see what he does…makes the offense exciting. Loved the analysis in NFL.Com on our team…Sanchez will falter and the next SEC QB will be in…and not Tebow…but McElroy…yea baby,…

Just don’t see it with Sparano…has to prove it…has not proven anything in his coaching career…and if he had a hand in the offense with Miami…where did that go…wildcat and all with pretty good personnel…NO WHERE….We will see…total bust or savior….not until they get an elite QB….that Irish boy sitting on the bench….

50. By jetsfan80 on Jul 12, 2012 | Reply

’64 Tom, I agree Sparano impresses when talking about the offense. I just wonder would the defense do as well without Rex getting involved. Look what happened last year when he gave Pettine more control over the decisions made on defense. Is it worth improving the offense to a good/average group with Sparano and risk the defense declining to poor/average with no Rex? I’m not disputing your points, just raising a discussion about the team from the opposite side of the ball. What do you guys think?

51. By scjoe on Jul 12, 2012 | Reply

64, in the words of one of the better coaches this team has ever had, “lets not put Sparano in Canton just yet” He had his chance in Miami and failed. Now, that in itself isn’t to big a deal because 95% of the coaches each year fail. Unless, as you say, it is good enough just to make the playoffs. My opinion? If I had to choose between Rex and Sparano, right now, I would go with Rex. That is not to say there are not better options out there, I just don’t believe it is Sparano, maybe OK as an OC, but was already a bust as a HC.

52. By gmany3k on Jul 12, 2012 | Reply

The Jets are the Traveling Circus that come to your Town , they supply players of every kind , they tease you with the daring trapeze and big fat elephant that dance with ease, quick sleek leopards and water buffaloes, all the while not knowing we the fans supply the Clowns.its the Greatest Show on earth the NFL is, leaving us with cotton candy, and tickets that we have to mortgage. they laugh all the way to the bank leaving us always wanting more of the same.Its only a child’s game but the Devil has trick you of Your Fame to be counted Worthy of His Name . I have not hardly been on a Jets site since we lost to the Giants last year.
    Every Year I’d say they are the team we should measure our Team by .I stand corrected we should copy them .

53. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 12, 2012 | Reply

Hey guys, I’m not saying Sparano is MY ideal HC, far from it. But it’s “In the land of the one-eyed…” and all that. Rex is at best a DC, he has very little skill at picking young players, less at developing them, and is prone to pointlessly impulsive moves (publicly ridiculing McKnight, benching Kerley for other people’s fumbles). By contrast,Sparano seems everything that Rex hasn’t been in dealing with players — smart, serious, and stern, which is exactly what this team needs. I still like GaryC’s bigger makeover plans (Polian, Cowher, etc.) but for now it’s pretty clear that Rex has been reduced to mascot status. He hasn’t developed anyone on D either, scjoe, it took him 3 yrs to get real help at S and he’s barely gone after any LBs.

54. By scjoe on Jul 12, 2012 | Reply

64, on the surface, what you say sounds right. But remember, Rex does NOT have final say on player transactions, particularly players acquired. That little tid bit falls solely in the hands of Mr. T Bomb. Yes, Rex has some shortcomings, most coaches do. My estimation would be about 99% of them. But I think what he does with the defense compensates for what he hasn’t done with the offense. But I would be willing to bet that if he had a Peyton Brees or Brady as his starting QB those offensive woes and shortcomings with the offense would go away in a NY minute. Agree my friend?

55. By GaryC on Jul 12, 2012 | Reply

jetfantom, you must be getting me confused with someone else about makeover plans,when did I mention cowher and polian,I will say this though,if you intend on making a head coaching change I am afraid that Sparano would be more of a lateral move then an upswing over Rexy,Sparano hasn’t accomplished much as a head coach,and could be another Norv Turner,good coordinator,not a good pick for a head coach.

56. By Jimmer on Jul 12, 2012 | Reply

The first time Sparano makes Holmes cry, I’ll think he’s for real. No player is made of fine crystal. If ever there was a player that could use a wake up call, it is SH. If the OC really tells it like it is, SH will soon cry.

57. By danny on Jul 12, 2012 | Reply

Ira go look at past video of Landry on youtube and watch his speed as he goes sideline to sideline and then tell me he don’t have speed. The dude is a sick athlete who covers a lot of ground and just happens to hit like a BEAST. Rex has said it himself the dude covers a lot of ground and can play both safety spots. Go look at him come accros field and lay the wood on Lauront Robinson of the Cowboys last season. The dude can close like any top safety in the league but hits harder then all of them. I believe he runs a 4.5 40yd dash plus he obviously can read very quickly. His highlights prove it all

58. By billmcdonough on Jul 13, 2012 | Reply

Will someone tell me,what the hell is happening with REVIS !

59. By SCfromNY on Jul 13, 2012 | Reply

Do I think Rex Ryan is a great coach? No! But his team has went deep into the playoffs 2 out of 3 years. Yes the defense carried the team but you can not dismiss all the 4th quarter comebacks. That was the offense. Colts had Manning for years plus a good coach and won 1 SB. Shula had Marino and lost 1 SB.Parcells, my favorite, lost 1 AFC Champ. with the Jets and no SBs. How has Shanahan done in DC? What coaches like Parcells, Belichik, and Cowher have in common is the ability to adapt before and during games. I will give Ryan a year or 2 more. My way: Rex as DC and Gruden as HC. Plus I wouldn;t have to listen to Gruden on ESPN anymore.

60. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 13, 2012 | Reply

I’ll cry no tears when Mr T is sent packing, scjoe, but Rex’s weird enthusiasm for the most marginal players and his inability to develop the most promising ones still speaks the loudest. As for Peyton, Brees, or Brady, it’s Rex’s own fault that he thinks “Mark” is already at that level and besides, go tell that one to the “We Can Win It All Even If Sanchez Is Terrible” crowd. Yeah, GaryC, I thought it was you on Polian and Cowher, musta been the Indiana thing but I wasn’t sure. And like I said last winter, Sparano is the ideal interim HC if we start out 2-6 or so, not my choice for HC. But it’s astounding how much more like a HC he sounds already than Rex has in 3 yrs.

61. By kleckofan on Jul 13, 2012 | Reply

off season chatter…we may as well give Johnny Carson an envelope….no one knows.
    We’ll have to wait and see what Sparano gives us. I discount the Miami experience, horrible mngmt and talent, and totally undermined by the Harbaugh debacle. In spite of all that he beat us his fair share. He was a very innovative OC/HC at a small college and dallas was not boring. I’ll take hard-nosed anyday. I also like the fact that we don’t know what the season will bring; Rex has not publicized our gameplan as has been his habit.

62. By russ on Jul 14, 2012 | Reply

our OL is not creating fear or defensive adjustments by our opponents///

63. By ron alexander on Jul 14, 2012 | Reply

S.C.Joe, you were doing great on your last post about Rex,until your last comment. As great as Payton,Breeze and are Brady are they would never survive a season upright with last years Jet O-line. None of those guy have the mobility a Q.B would need to have with Wayne Hunter,an injured Slauson & Mangold and a inconsistent Ferguson. Payton would no doubt be permantly retired if he was our Q.B last year.DANNY, I dont want to sound like Joe but dont get to hyped up about Landry. I went on the Redskins site like this one and their fans were thrilled to get rid of him.Inspite of his physical prowness he has little flexability in his hips which limits his ability to quickly change direction and cover recievers. Plus who knows about his achilles?

64. By Tom Spicer on Jul 14, 2012 | Reply

Danny, I agree 100% Landry could be the free saftey with Bell as the strong. Landry has the speed to play the spot guys think he is a strong saftey cause he is built like a rock. But he has closing speed & he could cover his problem is not that he doesnt have the speed it is that he always goes for the big hit. When at times he needs to make a play on the ball instead of always trying to blow someone up. Dont get me wrong I like big hits just like everyone else but it seems there are plays where he could get a pick but instead he blasts the guy. Landry at free & Bell at strong with Smith as the #3 & lots of special teams is the way to go.

65. By Tom Spicer on Jul 14, 2012 | Reply

By the way guys youtube Laron Landry the guy has like 4.2 speed, is bulit like a rock (maybe the biggest arms I have ever seen in my life) & he levels guys. In Washington they called him dirty 30 cause he blasts guys. You have to love a guy like that you want the other teams guys to be scared to go over the middle. If you watch his highlight clip on youtbe I will tell you right now if this guy is healthy he is a top 5 saftey in the NFL.

66. By danny on Jul 14, 2012 | Reply

Sorry Ira I was wrong LaRon Landry runs a 4.4 40yd dash not 4.5. I guess that is slow to you ?? There could be a guy who runs a 4.2 40 but don’t have the closing speed LaRon has because that is a gift. LaRon has that GIFT

67. By SCfromNY on Jul 14, 2012 | Reply

With the exception of the unwarrented praise for marginal players I am OK with Rex. His big mouth makes you forget he did a nice job 2 out of 3 years. In our division the Bills or Maimi would kill for that success. Tampa went from a 10-6 to 6-10, Norv Turner another bad year, Sanchez’s first season = playoffs, Cam Newton = nothing except meaningless records. 49ers go to their first Championship game, LOSE, and they are thought of as awesome.What has Shannahan done in DC? Will Rex become another Bellicik? I doubt it but if Bellicik had Ryans first 3 seasons with the Browns he would’t have moved on. Put Ronnie Lott and Ed Reed at safety and without QB pressure you lose.

68. By scjoe on Jul 14, 2012 | Reply

Ron, I have to disagree. I happen to believe that many of those sacks last year were on Sanchez as opposed to the shortcomings of the o line. I happen to believe that Peyton, Brady or Brees would not have taken the vast majority of those sacks Sanchez took. The ball would have been long gone before any of those three QBs (just used as examples) would have taken a sack. Now, am I talking about EVERY sack? No, absolutely not, just the majority of them. Pocket presence my friend. I mention that term often here.

69. By scjoe on Jul 14, 2012 | Reply

As for LaRon Landry? If this guy runs a 4.3, hits like a truck, and has any coverage skills what so ever, he would not be on the Jets roster right now. He would be the Skins franchise player in waiting…..(for a trade proposition)

70. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 15, 2012 | Reply

It’s not Cam Newton’s fault that he couldn’t win the Super Bowl in his rookie yr with one of the worst teams in the league, SCfromNY. Don’t fall into that weirdly delusional habit — one might call it Sanchezitis — whereby if another team’s QB plays great but doesn’t lead the team to a better record than ours, that means that great play is “meaningless” and we’re fine with Sanchez throwing the same pick over the middle yr after yr, topping it with picks to DL guys, and like scjoe says walking into sacks out of fear and panic. Nice job keeping it real on pocket presence, scjoe, which some folks here don’t seem to have heard about yet. But I’ll bet Cavanaugh has…

71. By danny on Jul 15, 2012 | Reply

Umm no the Skins didn’t wanna pay him because he;s been getting hurt the last few yrs and missed a lot of playing time. It’s def not due to the talent he has. Now of course he has to stay healthy on the field for us but he is going into the season as a healthy player so maybe he is over the injury bug and ready to help us big time at safety. All we can do is hope he stays healthy

72. By SCfromNY on Jul 16, 2012 | Reply

Since’64: You kinda missed the point about other great QBs losing. You only have so many years where your team is a viable choice to go to the SB THUS the comparison to QBs who performed great but the team did nothing. The Jets have a basically good team. Every team has week points. So a decent performance by Sanchez gives the team a great chance to do well regardless of a poor RT and questions at safety. There was not so much “duck and chuck” from Sanchez his first 2 years. I am not a Sanchez fan but a decent improvement and the Jets can have a very good year.The concept was that great QBs with so so teams don’t go anywhere either. Trent Dilfer won a SB.

73. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 16, 2012 | Reply

SCfromNY, your “point” about “great QBs losing” is so contrived as to induce hilarity. And the Badge of Honor for Sanchez apologists is the mention of Trent Dilfer, as if he’s the rule and not the very, very rare exception. You keep spinning the Sanchez problem (and if YOU’RE not a fan, I don’t know what a slavishly apologetic fan would sound like), and I’ll keep saying what I’ve said since Chad started to lose it: Until we have a QB like Brady, Brees, Ben R, or maybe Newton in a yr or two, we’re going nowhere.

74. By Tom Spicer on Jul 16, 2012 | Reply

SCJoe, Landry has been in the NFL 5 years the 1st 3 of those 5 years he made the pro bowl. The last 2 years he has had season ending injurys & he fought with Redskins managment because they wanted him to have surgery & he did not he wanted to rehab it without going under the knife. They let him walk cause they thought he was damaged goods & they did not get along. This is not a question of talent IF he is healthy he is our best saftey hands down & it is not even close. I would also say that besides Revis he could be the best player on our D & worst case IF healty he is top 3 on our D. 1 Revis 2 Harris 3 Landry worst case. Maybe 1 Revis 2 Landry the Landry I remember from 3 years ago was that type of player.

75. By scjoe on Jul 16, 2012 | Reply

64, you are dead on re Cam Newton and “Sanchizeitis” could not have put it in to perspective any better. Lets keep a close eye on Luck in Indy this year and see where he fits in to this equation.

76. By ron alexander on Jul 16, 2012 | Reply

S.C.JOE &TOM64. Sorry guys,cant agree w/ u this time. In order to exibit “pocket presence one must have a pocket!!.Like you guys I watched every play of every game last year and you are nuts if you think any of the three Q.B’s you mentioned would have done substantially better with last years Jet O.L.. Hey, no argument they are much better than M.S, but the guy got the crap beat out of him last year. Did he become gun-shy? Heck yeah he did! Not many Q.B’s wouldn’t. If you remember the Giants losing to the Pats during the 2007 undefeated reg.season you will remember the beating Brady took. As a result, he wanted no part of that during the superbowl and subsequently played one of his worst games ever!

77. By ron alexander on Jul 17, 2012 | Reply

TOM64&S.CJOE, Geez, 99% of the time I agree with you guys but I really cant see why at this point in his career you guys are so convinced Sanhez is a bust! Yeah, he certianly wasn’t pro bowl materal in his 3rd season but a pretty good Q.B named Eli was nearly run out of town after his 3rd year too. As a matter of fact his numbers were at least as bad as Sanchez’s.Like Danny and I have said all along, look, we are stuck with him this year no matter what. Lets see if we can get him to play up to being the #5 pick in his draft. If he stinks it up again this year I will say you were right and bow to your supreme wisdom! On the other hand, if he plays well and we make a run I would think we will all be thrilled. I’m gett’n psyched,Go Jets!

78. By scjoe on Jul 17, 2012 | Reply

Tom Spicer, first of all you have to remove the IF from the equation! “IF” Landry was totally healthy, and IF he were timed at 4.3 as you stated, and IF he hit like a Mack truck, he would not be on the Jets roster right now. You say it is not ALWAYS about talent and you are right, but it is not very often a club lets a 6’1″ 220lb safety who runs a 4.3 40, has some coverage skills, and hits like a truck walk with out getting anything in return. It is almost a given that there would be 31 other teams out there just waiting to acquire a commodity like that.

79. By scjoe on Jul 17, 2012 | Reply

Ron, sorry man, still have to disagree. I simply can not imagine a Peyton Manning taking the amount of sacks MS took last season no matter who were along that o line. Want proof? Take a look at the sack total Indy had last season and compare it to the sack totals they had in 2008, 2009, and 2010. The only difference in those seasons was at the QB position. Coincidence? I don’t think so. Think back to that regular season game with Indy in 2009. Remember what happened on the next play right after Peyton was removed? Sack, fumble TD! Think it would have been the same with Peyton in there?

80. By scjoe on Jul 17, 2012 | Reply

Ron, in answer to your second post above. I think you are taking some of what I say out of context and dwelling on it. I haven’t proclaimed Sanchez a “bust” not yet anyway. Lets see what a new OC can add to his game. Read the last couple of posts I directed to Tom Spicer. I am not looking for this guy to fail. I am looking for him to improve, drastically! I am a Jet fan. I want a championship some time soon. I really don’t care who the QB is who delivers it. That said, do I believe Mark Sanchez (at least the Mark Sanchez I have seen to date) can deliver it? I would be lying to you if I said yes.

81. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

I’ll be even briefer to ron, scjoe: Ron, I don’t like disagreeing with you either. But I’ve been watching pro football since 1962 and I’ve never seen a QB scared enough to throw 2 interceptions to the same defensive lineman in a single half, much less a single game, much less a single season.

82. By ron alexander on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

S.C.Joe &64, Fair enough! As I said earlier, I respect both of your opinions as your posts are continuously some of the best on Randy’s blog.64,Actually I dont mind at all if anyone disagrees with anything I say as thats half the fun of this blog. Disagreements tend to spur more stimulating conversations. Hey, even “Joe” with his fanatical rants about Sanchez or anyone else that ticks him off is great to me.64, I cant disagree with you about those 2 picks to D.linmen,they were pathetic. However, having played the posisition through high school and college I can understand his thought process. He’s a competor and was trying to make a play. Was it a good idea?Heck no! But I’ve thrown a few bonehead passes in my day too!

83. By Tom Spicer on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

SCJoe, The guy made the pro bowl 3 times are we just supposed to ignore that? The talent is there!

84. By scjoe on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

Ron, I think I can speak for 64 when I say we respect your opinions as well, and you are absolutely correct when you say that disagreeing tends to stimulate conversations here on Randy’s blog. Most folks here handle it pretty well, on occasion you get some who don’t. While on the subject of “stimulating” conversation, where is Joe Caps? LOL

85. By ron alexander on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

Spicer, good point dude. Landry has made the pro-bowl 3 times. Unfortunately, none in the past two season? My concern(and probably S.C.Joes) is the past two years have been wiped out by injuries so its difficult at best to predict what he can do for us this year? My other concern is the guy has bulked himself up so much I’m not sure he will have the flexability to run and cut with the players he will need to stay with. Tightly muscled athletes usually loose flexability and this guy looks more like an olympic weight lifter than a football player. Also, by electing to not have the achilles surgery one has to question his committment to football?This is an injury that has hampered him for two + seasons now.

86. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

Fair enough, ron a, but I played the position in my youth too and I’d like to think that $50 mil plus an undeserved contract extension gets us something more skilled and level-headed than I’d be today if you put me down there on the field.

87. By ron alexander on Jul 19, 2012 | Reply

64, yeah,I think that extension was simply Tanny’s way of deflecting heat off himself for failing to get Payton. I’m thinking he was trying to minimize the damage by acting like he was never interested in bringing Payton to N.Y. Tanny is just killing us. On top of the fact he has done a lousey job drafting players,bringing in free agents and the soon to be disasterious Revis contract situation,not to mention next years salary cap (we are already 16 mil over?) is already out of control. The big question I have is does Woody Johnson have a clue?And as long as we sell out every game does Woody even care? Randy, I would love to hear what you think about all of this?,

88. By TIM on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

********* (OFFENSE starts with EVERYBODY on offense (BLOCKING, BLOCKING, BLOCKING)!! A HAT on a HAT, EVERY play!!! It is that SIMPLE!!) ******************