• Sun., May. 04, 2014 7:30PM - 8:00PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Thu., May. 08, 2014 12:00AM - 12:30AM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Thu., May. 08, 2014 2:00PM - 3:00PM EDT Live Jets Talk LIVE Draft Show Prior to 1st RD of NFL Draft
  • Thu., May. 08, 2014 6:30PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

• Sun., Jun. 08, 2014 7:30PM - 8:00PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sun., Jun. 15, 2014 7:00PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

Coples Throwing a Cookout for N.C. Hometown

Posted by Randy Lange on July 11, 2012 – 5:02 pm

“My community has always been very important to me,” Quinton Coples says on his Website, QCoples.com, and you may have seen the word that the Jets’ first-round draft pick is doing something neat for his hometown community of Kinston, N.C., a week from Saturday.

Coples has announced an inaugural community day back home, and in celebration of his 16th overall selection in the April draft, the huge, talented defensive end is working with community leaders and the Kinston Department of Parks and Recreation to stage the Quinton Coples NFL Draft Celebration Cook Out.

The event is set for July 21 at the Southeast Elementary School (201 S. McDaniel St. in Kinston) from 4-8 p.m. The event will feature deejay-spun music, food, basketball tournaments and special activities for children and seniors.

The event is free to the public, so any Jets fans or Q crazies who happen to live in or will be passing through the eastern NC community could partake of some inexpensive family fun and entertainment and get to meet No. 98 before he returns to North Jersey and then to Cortland, N.Y., for the start of training camp at SUNY Cortland.

For more information you can contact Kurtis Stewart via email at kstewart@millenniumsportsmg.com or phone him at 919-809-7070, and you can keep up with Coples on his Website, on Facebook (TeamCoples), and on Twitter (@QueCeasar).

Tags: , , ,

106 Responses to “Coples Throwing a Cookout for N.C. Hometown”

1. By Karan on Jul 11, 2012 | Reply

Hope this guy is not a bust. I thought he would be but I like what I’ve seen from him thus far, OTAs, minicamp, etc. If he is a force to be reckoned with, people better watch out from both him and Mo. I can’t wait to see Mo in action, he will be a beast, I just know it

2. By Karan on Jul 11, 2012 | Reply

A friend of mine who is a Cowboys fan told me when Sparano was in Dallas a few years ago, they had one of the best O-lines in football, like in the top 5. I hope Sparano with the addition of Dave DeGuglielmo, can really help revive this offensive line. I have absolutely no problem with Mangold, Brick, Moore or Slau, all are excellent players. What concerns me is Hunter, I was hoping they would add Vernon Carey or someone, but looks like thats not going to happen.

3. By scjoe on Jul 11, 2012 | Reply

Ira, here is a guy I will be asking about when camp opens, Damon Harrison, the 6’4″ 350 lb NT out of William Penn. I know he comes out of a small school, and probably needs to be seasoned, but you know what they say, “you can’t teach size and athletic ability” keep your eye on this guy when camp opens. Hopefully, with the lack of depth at that spot, he can hang around a while.

4. By bill on Jul 11, 2012 | Reply

Hey this is pretty cool. As a displaced Jet fan, I never thought I’d get to meet any new Jets in person in my neck of the woods. I live in New Bern which is just 20 minutes from Kinston. I’ll have to check it out.

5. By IRA on Jul 12, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, Good one to watch. My guess is PS at best. The Jets are really set at DL and unless somebody gets hurt there are no spots. In matter of fact there are only about 2 spots open on the 53 as of today. Unless there is a surprise cut or injury this roster is pretty much set. Maybe a veteran FA becomes available late summer that would upgrade a position i just don’t see many spots.

6. By Bennett on Jul 12, 2012 | Reply

Jet Fan Tom 64 ..Your silence on my post regarding Sporano distinctly directed at you is deafening. Have I overwhelmed you with my logic ? Do you finally admit defeat from a superior intellact and submit ? Are you on hiatus ? Have you finally run out of words and wish to no longer bloviate on the subject ?…. could this be even possible ?

7. By 40 year fan on Jul 12, 2012 | Reply

Karan , and Sparano remember was hand picked by parcells …Which speaks volumes ..And even more impressive than his stint at dallas ,…was what they did with absolutely 0 in Miami , although they did have Penington for a while …

8. By 40 year fan on Jul 12, 2012 | Reply

I know I’m looking ahead but,…The Texans are running ,.. in my opinion,…one of the best offenses in football …I don’t understand how that team doesn’t make the playoffs ? The Jets can’t underestimate that squad on our Monday night game ..

9. By 40 year fan on Jul 12, 2012 | Reply

Randy , thanks for this site over the years it’s been a good escape ..How long has this site been here ? How about some history ?

10. By Randy Lange on Jul 12, 2012 | Reply

40 year, thanks for asking. newyorkjets.com has been around since before I arrived in March 2007. The Radar began pinging for the 2007 draft and hasn’t stopped since. For the record it was not my idea to call it Randy’s Radar, although I was and still am honored and I didn’t have to pay a dime for the naming rights. We’re doing more and more video on the site, with my partner Eric Allen often holding the microphone, so I would encourage all to check out his and our good work in the next few weeks and especially when we crank it up in Cortland.

11. By jetsfan80 on Jul 12, 2012 | Reply

Coples can host a cookout. I sure would like to see him host a weekly campout in every opponent’s backfield this year along with Wilkerson and Maybin!

12. By 40 year fan on Jul 12, 2012 | Reply

Randy , next question , they used to have the Vince Lombardi encased in glass at Weeb Ewbank Hall …Where is the trophy now ? and maybe they should pass that thing around so our boys can get some of its’ energy & break this 40 years + curse . It started with Richard Todd for me ..

13. By Randy Lange on Jul 12, 2012 | Reply

The Super Bowl III Lombardi Trophy is still on display here at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center.

14. By 40 year fan on Jul 12, 2012 | Reply

Randy -you guys need to start a full time Jets channel on t.v. there is so many channels on satelite ..they could have everything football on there , and interviews with former Jets players and coaches etc . etc. etc. It would be a hit I guarantee it ..

15. By scjoe on Jul 12, 2012 | Reply

Ira, “never say never” we as Jet fans know that first hand because of a guy named Wayne Chrebet. Point being, with the NT position being so thin, this guy could possibly make the final roster with an outstanding camp. Now, “if” they are going to go more to a 4-3 (which I have predicted for months now) then all bets are off for Harrison. I don’t think he would be “as good” a fit in the 4-3 Either way, it is going to be interesting to watch him.

16. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 12, 2012 | Reply

Actually, Bennett, what’s much more possible — and what in fact has even happened — is that I answered you about Sparano on the same story on which you posted your questions, as I always try to do. And I said that while Sparano’s certainly not my ideal choice of an HC, he looks a heck of a lot more like what this team needs in the way of leadership at the moment than Rex ever has. Go take a look back at that story to read my complete answer. That’s funny about the naming rights, Randy, glad to hear you didn’t have to fork over $1 billion or so!

17. By 40 year fan on Jul 12, 2012 | Reply

I am reading the book ” Gang Green” by Gerald Eskenazi ..from the NY times ….I am sure it will be a masochistic read …

18. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 12, 2012 | Reply

Weird the way LT keeps talking about “our” QB as if he’s still on the team, even after trashing so many people on the team publicly only a few days after the end of the season. I think I get more of the reasons why the Chargers weren’t that sorry to let him go after a certain point…

19. By Jimmer on Jul 12, 2012 | Reply

40 yo old fan,,,,,, Hate to say this, even though it was not Parcells first choice, Parcells hired Al Groh to be HC of the NYJ.
    Just saying even the great Parcells is prone to err.
    I do think a bootcamp type coach is just what was needed on offense. If he does make the OL want to dominate like Rex does the entire D, people will be in for a wake up call. With most teams going speed everywhere, there is starting to look like a lack of muscle in LB play, allowing the right team to run up and down the field.
    We’re ok at skill positions on O, if the OL wants to play old school and impose their will, no quick strike O will be able to overcome it. Not with our defense anyway.

20. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 13, 2012 | Reply

Even Cimini gets it: “Ground and Pound? Really? They want to be a run-oriented offense under new coordinator Tony Sparano, but the 8 positions most important to the running game — 5 linemen, 1 tight end and 2 backs — are the same as last year. And we all know how last year went; the Jets finished 22nd in rushing offense. Unless Shonn Greene morphs into Earl Campbell, the Jets won’t be able to run at will.” I’d add that McKnight is a completely unknown quantity at RB and could very well shine like Greene did in his 1st yr. But the point made here, which scjoe has been, er, pounding home as well, is that all this talk about ground and pound vs. passing will entirely depend on who does what how well.

21. By Me Doc on Jul 13, 2012 | Reply

Randy, Why no word about Kendrick Ellis? It was widely reported before he turned himself in to begin serving his sentence that he would serve a ‘split sentence’ and would be released on July 7th or 9th in plenty of time for training camp to begin. It was also reported that he had been approved for a work release program that would allow him to work with the Hampton University coaches which would allow him to continue his work outs during his incarceration.

Yet we haven’t heard anything since regarding his situation. Was he in fact released to work with his old coaches? How have those workouts been going? Is his split sentence still on schedule? I think many JETS fans would like an update as we head towards training camp.

22. By IRA on Jul 13, 2012 | Reply

Karan, Keep the faith with Hunter. Remember after the 2010 season Sparano and DD were looking at signing Hunter. I keep saying it a new system and staff and i believe Hunter will bounce back. But i am going to keep a close eye on Howard in camp. They didn’t carry him last year on the 53 for nothing. And as for Coples everybody knows the talent is there. Now Rex has to get him to give 110% on every play and he has to want it. If those things happen they have themselves an excellent player.
    Watch out for the Bills this year. Good article about Spiller and Jackson on NFL.Com. If they can stay committed to the running game and their D lives up to their billing they will be a very tough team. I just don’t believe in Gailey and think he can’t…

23. By IRA on Jul 13, 2012 | Reply

…help himself from being pass happy. Its sounds crazy but that season opener is so huge. They must beat the Bills!

24. By GaryC on Jul 13, 2012 | Reply

for kendrick ellis, if you did the crime do the time,as simple as that and get it over with,as for the sanchez naysayers which their are many,what does he need to do to get back in good graces,only one quarterback per year wins the super bowl so I guess 31 others won’t be elite this year.If he gets to the super bowl who will be praised instead of Sanchez, maybe Holmes,the offensive line,ground and pound,the defense,anyone but Sanchez.Oh,that’s right, Sparano made him the quarterback he is today.Wake up Jet fans,you could have Chad Henne as your quarterback.

25. By scjoe on Jul 13, 2012 | Reply

64, to take that one step further, only ONE position (WR) among the starting 11 from last season will start again this season. Hardly a reason to “assume” you will be a “run first” offense in 2012. If they truly want to “ground and pound” or “run first” which some would rather call it, you go out and sign Benton and Mckenzie and you may have a chance. Sorry, I just don’t see any scary run game remaining status quo.

26. By IRA on Jul 13, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, Yes you never know lets see what Harrison can do. I woould think the DL is set with Pouha, Ellis, Mo, Coples, Dixon, Sapp and DeVito. Can’t see them keeping more than 7.

27. By jetsfan80 on Jul 13, 2012 | Reply

I agree IRA, Week 1 will be huge for the Jets. It could affect the team’s confidence for many weeks to come if the Bills dominate that game. It’s very important that the change in offensive playcalling proves effective. I am very worried that Super Mario will have a field day against Hunter. However, if the Jets can win that game or keep it close, the team’s confidence in the offensive gameplan should soar and hopefully everyone (including us) is happy.

28. By IRA on Jul 13, 2012 | Reply

Just something to chew on over the weekend. Greene had 4 20+ yd runs last year and 5 TD’s on 253 carries. Tebow had 5 plus 20 and 6 TD’s on 122 carries. so if anybody doesn’t think they won’t use Tebow to run the ball at times you should think this over.
    GO JETS!!!!

29. By Tom Spicer on Jul 13, 2012 | Reply

Tom 64, Keep the fatih I expect big things out of McKnight this year. I even think Tebow will help as as a runner he can be a good change of pace back. Like I have said all of the Tebow highlights I see but 1 of them is of him running the ball & sometimes running over guys.

30. By boni on Jul 13, 2012 | Reply

Top 20 games of 2011:
    Tebow @ # 14 W 13-10
    Tebow @ # 6 W 29-23

31. By wayne on Jul 13, 2012 | Reply

64 you’re just making it up as you go along. They were ground n pounding it last year. GQ can’t handle the load so what exactly do you propose they do? Cimini doesn’t know what he’s talking about but since he agrees with you, he got it right. Ground and pound is the best option for this team. As much disdain as you have for the starting QB, how you don’t see that is beyond me.

32. By ron alexander on Jul 14, 2012 | Reply

S.CJoe,if theres one O.T who was as bad as Hunter last year its McKenzie! The Giants got rid of him because of penalties and the hits on Eli he allowed. V.Carey would be a better option.IRA, I agree Green was not great last year but based on our O.Line play last year I think we need to see what he can do behind a supposedly better line this year. I hope you are right about Hunter being improved. Its also important that Slauson is healthy because we cant cover up two weak links on the O.Line.SPICER< Tebow is not,nor does he have any interest in becoming a running back.There is no way he is going to last with his running style with 200+ carries.BENNETT, your killing me dude!

33. By SCfromNY on Jul 14, 2012 | Reply

If Sanchez gets rid of his jitters and sulking attitude the Jets stand a chance. It’s nice to disect the OL all the time put the Giants did very well with a line that scared no one and had the worst running game in the NFL. How did they do last year? Here is my prescription for a good season. #1 Sanchez must improve without that nothing else matters. Less 3 and outs and turnovers to keep the defense fresh. The OL must improve but it is not a dire as many say. One player can be protected. An improvement on the DL, with slightly faster LBs, and safeties an improvement over last year could translate to a SB. And let’s not forget some luck and catching teams at the right time.

34. By scjoe on Jul 14, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, in answer to your question above, as one of those Sanchez “naysayers” what he has to do to get back in the good graces are 1-cut the turnovers in half, 2- Increase the TDs at least by a third, 3-Get the completion percentage up to at least 60% 3- be able to seek out and get to the 2nd and 3rd receiver on a consistent basis 4-start to show some of the maturity that a true leader should show, 5-end the pouting and sitting alone on the bench after one of those turnovers. and last but not least #6 win a SB!!! I think that would be a good start.

35. By scjoe on Jul 14, 2012 | Reply

Ira, one point to be made about your statistics comparing Greene’s 20+ yard runs and Tebow’s 20+ yard runs last season, Tebow was doing it strictly from the QB position where the element of surprise (so to speak) comes in to play a little. Greene on the other hand got his primarily from the RB position. Point is, if they use Tebow as a RB “with” Sanchez occupying the QB spot, don’t expect those same numbers. I think Tebow’s niche, especially early on, will be as a wildcat QB only. That is until Sanchez forces Rex’s hand by not performing. One thing is for sure though, it is going to be very, very interesting.

36. By scjoe on Jul 14, 2012 | Reply

Wayne, my take on your post directed to 64. This team simply does not have the pieces in place to run a “ground and pound” or what ever term you would like to use. With the exception of the QB position, (which of course is the most important) they are more suited to run a pass first offense. That is why I disagree with your assessment that the “ground and pound” is their best option. Bottom line, they need to upgrade either the QB position OR the RB position before they can make any determination.

37. By scjoe on Jul 14, 2012 | Reply

Joke of the day…from NFL.com re; Brady Quinn… Charlie Weis believes his former Notre Dame pupil Brady Quinn would be a starting quarterback if the duo had the opportunity to work together in the NFL. Well, that would be like me saying to my wife “you would be the next Miss America IF I had the final say on that panel.”

38. By oasus on Jul 15, 2012 | Reply

Cimini…he’s ok. But he’s got nothing on Jenny Vrentas. If you want a beat writer to follow, follow her. Really knows her stuff. I’ll take her word over Cimini any day of the week.

39. By wayne on Jul 15, 2012 | Reply

ARE JETS REALLY 19 MILL OVER NEXT YEAR’S CAP? Man, if that’s the case, it’s worse than I’ve been telling you guys it’s been for a while now. Capologist? Maybe not………Why else would a team talking SB not fill positions of obvious need….Can’t just drop a guy and pick up someone else. Bonuses accelerate, then new salaries tacks on to the bottomline as well……OOY!……………………….Sure FAs will still play for Rexy. They just can’t afford em.

40. By wayne on Jul 15, 2012 | Reply

So scjoe, you and 64 have relentlessly pounded GQ because you think he can get the job done? Questioned the strength of the OL because you think a QB with questionable decision making will light it up under increased pressure? We will all get to see whether ground and pound will work or not, because that’s what yur gettin’ this here year….You believe it won’t work, I believe it will. For the present starting QB to do well it must……..The 2 guards and the center are only guys I personally have confidence in to consistently get their jobs done on OL. Especially as it relates to pass blocking. This team will do well this year on one condition: THE RUN GAME IS SUCCESSFUL……If not ship be sinkin’

41. By 40 year fan on Jul 15, 2012 | Reply

Question marks remain , not sure about recievers , running backs , linebackers , offensive line , kicking , and Q.B. s …other than that …

42. By GaryC on Jul 15, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, regarding sanchez if that list you put up is for starters,and he accomplished those that would make him the greatest jet qb with Namath,right.then you can come on here and proclaim that,right.

43. By IRA on Jul 15, 2012 | Reply

Ron, Great point about Slauson. I am sure you are all sick of me writing it but thats were not resigning Turner hurts.
    scjoe, Of course Tebow’s rushing stats are misleading because of the direct snaps. Don’t be surprised to see him take a handoff or two from Sanchez on the goalline.

44. By 40 year fan on Jul 15, 2012 | Reply

Jimmer – Parcells 1st choice was Bill Belichek and Al Groh was not nearly as bad as Kotite , or lou holtz …

45. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 15, 2012 | Reply

wayne, scjoe’s latest posts say it all. We have a mediocre-to-date starting QB, a backup who throws like an amateur, mostly unproven RBs, and holes in the OL. So it’s not about ground and pound or vertical passing or even Rex and Sparano, it’s about personnel. Like Spicer suggests, McKnight has to step up this yr, though I don’t think we’re going to scare many folks by using our backup QB as an RB too often. I was only joking about Cimini, I think his reporting is mostly okay, I don’t like is when he tries to make controversy out of nothing. But his insights on the likely Sanchez-vs.-Tebow controversy, which we didn’t need, are on the money. Good one to GaryC about the MS “naysayrers,” scjoe, just say nay to overpaid, underperforming QBs.

46. By IRA on Jul 15, 2012 | Reply

As long as we were talking about the running game i came across this article today. While most of you probably never saw Jimmy Brown play i stand by this that he is the best ever football player to ever play in the NFL. I was lucky enough to see him play his last 5 or so years. When he was drafted by the Browns in 1957 there had been only 8 1000 yd seasons in NFL history and no one player had produced more then 2. Brown had 7 of them in his 9 yrs. His career avg of 104.3 still is tops and that was with 12 or 14 games. He clearly was a man against boys.

47. By danny on Jul 15, 2012 | Reply

Big Ron Tebow in no way is worrying about 200 plus carries and getting hurt. Tebow is not a NFL QB and wants to play in the NFL so whatever the coach asks him to do he will do. Were paying him 1.2 million dollars to help our football team so Woody and Tanny are def not worried about beating up Tebow. Tebow is a monster and can help us in a lot of ways especially running the football. If Tebow was a NFL QB he would have gotten picked up for at least 8 million a season and playing QB for another team not playing for our JETS behind MS for 1.2 million a yr

48. By danny on Jul 15, 2012 | Reply

Tebow will play a lil QB, RB, TE / slot and special teams. The fact he has accepted this role he will not be worried about a short career, he just wants to have a NFL career. We all know he wants to be a starting NFL QB but how many ppl think he will ever be a franchise QB somewhere ?? Tebow knows this and that is why he is willing to do whatever it takes to play football in the NFL. I think he will do a lot of great things for our team and can’t wait ti see it. The kid is a winner and playmaker

49. By IRA on Jul 16, 2012 | Reply

Tom, I think Cimini is the best current beat writer there is. Yes he is negative and looks to create things but overall he has a good feel for the game and knows the Jets very well. I believe he has been covering them since 1989.
    McKnight better step up this year or they are in big trouble. Remember keep a close eye on the Pats RB’s this summer. If they all stay healthy i think Woodhead could be cut.

50. By GaryC on Jul 16, 2012 | Reply

Yes,Ira you are right about brown being the greatest,same can be said about Sayers,too bad the injury curtailed a great career,1964 championship game browns 27 colts 0. Jimmy Brown’s swan song and browns too.Brown retires and Browns have never won a championship since.

51. By GaryC on Jul 16, 2012 | Reply

JetFanTom, I can give you a lot of quarterbacks who are overpaid, that is just the position they play,Is Rivers,Cutler and others overpaid never winning anything, and don’t be too ready to Jump for Matt Barkley,another bleach blond from USC,does Todd Marinovich ring a bell.

52. By SCfromNY on Jul 16, 2012 | Reply

Tebow as a football player = excellent. As a QB = poor.How many college QB Hiesman winners become good NFL QBs? Not many but because of the pro style many colleges have affected the college QB finds it easier to translate to the pros. You need a quality running game to mix up the plays and stop having the D know exactly what you are going to do. The Ravens won with a running game BUT it wasn’t “ground and pound” Short passes especially to Rice kept Ds honest. As far as I can determine, could be wrong, only one run oriented team, 49ers, had a good year.And they reloaded with WRs. The first 2 years Rex got rid of “same ole Jets. Let’s get back there.

53. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 16, 2012 | Reply

Agree for the most part about Cimini, Ira, but he also looks better because he’s mostly honest at a time when the Jets, under Rex, have become less honest. I didn’t say Sanchez was the only overpaid QB, GaryC, but he may have set the record in recent times for getting overpaid coming off the most miserable season.

54. By scjoe on Jul 16, 2012 | Reply

Wayne, I had to read your post a few times to finally come to the realization that the first sentence was just sarcasm. No, my belief is, was, and always will be (until I see dramatic improvement in all phases of his game) that he can not get the job done with out something very close to elite personnel around him. The great QBs don’t always need “elite” personnel around them to be successful. So, I hope that answers your question to the fullest.

55. By IRA on Jul 16, 2012 | Reply

Gary, You are so right about Sayers maybe being considered for that. We just will never know too bad he got hurt. Even after he was hurt he was better than most but he was never the same.

56. By scjoe on Jul 16, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, right! “IF” Sanchez were to compile at least a 3-1 TD to INT percentage, at least a 60% passing percentage, shows the ability to consistently find the 2nd and 3rd receiver, shows the maturity that is critical in leading a team at his position, AND wins a SB, I will come right here on this site and proclaim him as one of the two best Jet QBs ever. I would put him right up there with Joe Willie, but NEVER above him because Joe Willie put this franchise and this league on the map long before MS was born

57. By scjoe on Jul 16, 2012 | Reply

Have to agree with Ira on Jim Brown. I too watched Brown for many years and he was head and shoulders ahead of everyone else at his position. That is a given. Everyone has their own thoughts and opinions on top players over the years at a particular position, in my mind #2 on that RB chart would have to be Barry Sanders. Imagine what he could have accomplished if he had a supporting cast around him and played through his prime instead of retiring?

58. By Tom Spicer on Jul 16, 2012 | Reply

SCJoe, To answer your list of things that you want Mark to do I will tell you right now some of those things will never happen or just should not be expected of any QB at all. 1 Increase his TD’S by 1/3. He had 32 total TDS last year 26 passing & 6 runnning to have a third of that amount added he would need 43 TDS only rodgers & brees have more. Asking way to much & # 5 I dont see it I think that is made up by the media

59. By Allan O'Dane on Jul 16, 2012 | Reply

SCfromNY,
    64tom and I have been saying that “ground&pound” is a thing of the past. This is now a passing league. Balance is now the key. Just look at Giants, Saints. Steelers, Packers and the pats..all teams that have won the superbowl with passing and somewhat of a running game to keep teams honest. Now..look at the teams that have changed their offense to get that balance…Chicgao, 49ers and the Bucs. This is not the 2000 ravens…even though they seem to want to change but keep giving the ball to rice. That’s why teams are stacking up on DB’s to slow down the pass. The reason why Mike T.& co. got Tebow in the first place is because they don’t trust sanchez to throw the ball down field.

60. By Allan O'Dane on Jul 16, 2012 | Reply

And they don’t trust Tebow either to throw the ball. I have said all along, this is the year Sanchez has to prove himself to take it to the next level. Still not happy with this WR corps being that they still don’t have a true #2 wideout. And the RT spot is still shakey. This is what confuses me…if you want to be ground&pound then shore up your O-line ( i.e. Carl Nicks ). Then you go out and get a Kyle Brady type TE…6’6 265. I don’t like ground and pound…especially if you are not built for it. 49ers and Bears have upgraded their WR corp to become more balanced…I am going to stay hopeful this season…see where this takes us. That’s all we can do as fans…

61. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 16, 2012 | Reply

People I’d Like to Hear More From: Row, Ablity, Mike Jet Vet, Ranger 46 (especially now that we’ve got a tall QB!) People I’d Like to Hear Less From: Darrelle Revis, Rex Ryan.

62. By GaryC on Jul 16, 2012 | Reply

Cam the Sham Newton has no talent around him, D’angelo williams and johnathan stewart are better than shonn greene,steve smith has accomplished more than any jet receiver,Gross,Kalil are all pros and Otah is much better than Wayne Hunter and they have a 6’5 tightend in Olson who could move,and the Sham Newton couldn’t get them to the playoffs,Why is it if Sanchez had THOSE WEAPONS and didn’t get to the playoffs I would be hearing he is not a franchise quarterback.

63. By Tom Spicer on Jul 16, 2012 | Reply

Randy, There is a video on the site that shows when practice will be open to the public. Could you tell us which of those dates are local if we wanted to go?

64. By Randy Lange on Jul 16, 2012 | Reply

Tom, the Jets practice at Hofstra University on Tuesday night, Aug. 21, and at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center on Thursday and Friday mornings, Aug. 23 and 24. Those three summer practices are the “local” practices open to the public. You can click on “View Schedule” in the training camp widget on the right side of the home page.

65. By walt on Jul 16, 2012 | Reply

i feel sorry for mario williams.he has to play us two games a season.Oh well he should have known better.At least he will be able to catch a breather when he plays the patsys and the dull fish.Come to think I feel sorry for anyone who plays the jets this season we are loaded. for bear.As the man said competition ain”t nothing.If Rex will not say it I mwill .Here we go Super Bowl.

66. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 17, 2012 | Reply

Say what you want about Holmes, he’s the only Jet employee who’s ever made this common-sense statement since we got Sanchez: “You have to allow 1 QB to get into the rhythm of the game. It starts from the preparation in practice, knowing the first couple of plays that he’s going to take these reps. It’s getting a feel for coming onto the field with the crowd awaiting you. It’s the making the mistakes early in the game to finishing the games at the end. You don’t just change a guy out just because he has a few mistakes early in a game.” Still another non-HC who understands O better than the alleged HC we have now. Of course, Holmes and the Steelers won a SB without using the Wildcat, so he doesn’t live in Rex’s World of Offensive Illusion.

67. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 17, 2012 | Reply

P.S. I’d also like to hear more from Clarke Griswald (spelling?) and less from Tim Tebow — and even less from the Tim Tebow groupies!

68. By Bennett on Jul 17, 2012 | Reply

The Jets are having cap problems and wll for the next few years. This has been obvious with the recent moves they have not made. The huge contracts to Holmes, Reevis and now the illogical and bizzare extension of Sanchez have all contributed. T-baum was a contract guy, who is in way over his head in the GM position He does not have the knowledge, long term judgement and has exhibited a shocking lack of basic business skills. Except for the obviuos targets if the Jets have another off year you can thank T-baum and the mess he has created. The needs of the Jets were very evident after last season, and one can only draw the conclusion the could not be addressed do to a cap mess that did not happen overnight

69. By Tom Spicer on Jul 17, 2012 | Reply

Mark, Can lead a team to a Super Bowl he just has to put it together all in 1 year. Last year he had 32 total TDS & 2 years ago he had 13 total turnovers. If he could just up his completion percentage 3 %, have the same TDS as last year & have his turnover total from 2 years ago all this year. As far as his end of the deal we can wil the whole thing.

70. By IRA on Jul 17, 2012 | Reply

Tom, Thats right Holmes said all the right things last night. he got off to a good start and i expect him to have a very good year this season. I penciled him in for about 60-65 catches 800 yds and 6 TD’s.
    GO JETS!!!!

71. By scjoe on Jul 17, 2012 | Reply

Tom Spicer, GaryC posed a question to the Sanchez “naysayers” asking what he has to do to get back in to the good graces. I simply responded to that question by naming some of the shortcomings that I see. The pouting on the sideline is definitely one of them, it was not “created” by the media. All the rest are legitimate answers as well. Gary’s follow up question asked if I would proclaim MS one of the best Jet QBs ever if he accomplished all of them, my answer was a definite YES! It is not a personal thing, it is a Jet thing. I would love to see this guy throw 43TDs with 10 INTs and 65% completion, wouldn’t you?

72. By GaryC on Jul 17, 2012 | Reply

To scjoe and jetfantom, hope one of you guys has a pilot’s liscense for when sanchez wins the super bowl, one can pilot and one can unfurl a banner outside the cockpit claiming sanchez an elite quarterback,over the meadowlands on opening day would suffice.

73. By Bennett on Jul 17, 2012 | Reply

I hate to say this but one of the best RB I ever saw was OJ Simpson.Remember the game in the snow storm where he just shredded the Jets. He had an uncanny ability to spot holes and the burst type speed to exploit them better than any back I have ever seen. He ran low and was hard to get a clean shot at and he ran with authority, if you didn’t get him in the first 5 yards he would make you pay. As a human being he disgusts me.

74. By Bennett on Jul 17, 2012 | Reply

Speaking of great RB’s it was a treat to watch Eric Dickerson play. I always thought of a thoroughbred race horse when I watched him. He made his runs seem effortless and he ran with such grace, power and form, just a terrific athelete and one of the top 5 for my money

75. By Bennett on Jul 17, 2012 | Reply

Another favorite “The Nigerian Nightmare” Christian Okoyo big, tough, ran like a freight train going down hill with no brakes just tried to go thru people total bull in a china shop approach to the game, retired after only 6 seasons but was the top rusher for the Chiefs. Same type of back as Peyton Hillis and boy do I wish we could have got Peyton one tough suuuuuum ohhhh guuuun… goin to get you that first baby….. goin tooooo get you thaaaaaat first BAAAAAAABY…OOOOOOH YEAHHHHHH I COMMMMIN RIGHT TROUGH YOU BAAAAABYYYYY

76. By Tom Spicer on Jul 17, 2012 | Reply

The Jets brought in Tebow to light a fire under Sanchez & they brought in Davis to do the same to Scott. Why not bring in a right tackle to do that to Hunter? Why not bring in Cedric Benson to set a fire un Greenes butt?

77. By scjoe on Jul 17, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, yea, I can do that. BUT, lets remember one thing, winning a SB as a starting QB doesn’t automatically get you in to that “elite” QB club. Can anyone say Trent Dilfer??? Lets see how the season goes, lets see how much can be attributed to the QB and how much can be attributed to the run game and the defense before any banners fly.

78. By Tom Spicer on Jul 17, 2012 | Reply

I had said before that Tebow would be the change of pace back for the Jets. That Kerley would be the #3 WR & punt returner & that McKnight would be the kick returner & the 3rd down pass catching back. Someone said that Tebow would not be able to take the pounding. Well I was thinking to myself how can that be true all I see his plays of him running guys over. So I looked something up LT our change of pace back last year averaged just under 6 rushes per game. Tebow last year averaged just under 10 rushes per game & 7 out of 14 starts he ran the ball more than he threw it. The Jets also made him bulk up from 235 lbs to 250 lbs so he can take the pounding. I am telling you he is going to be a running back for us who throws the ball once

79. By Tom Spicer on Jul 17, 2012 | Reply

or twice a game. Tebow can be a weapon for the Jets they just have to use him the right way. Tebow can even be on the field with Sanchez at the same time alot. Sanchez, Holmes, Hill, Keller, Greene & the 5 O lineman is 10. Then you have Kerley for 35 plays, Tebow for 20 plays & that still leaves about another 20 plays for McKnight, you 4 WR sets & your 2 TE sets.

80. By Karan on Jul 17, 2012 | Reply

Still need some depth at O-line. Believe it or not, there are still some good options out there: Stacy Andrews, Kareem McKenzie, Vernon Carey, Marcus McNeill. Just saying Jets, you should sign at least one of these guys.

81. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, where do you even get the idea that this Jet team, in the midst of rebuilding everything from its coaches to its entire roster, is anywhere close to winning a Super Bowl with Sanchez or anyone else currently on the team at QB?

82. By IRA on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

Bennett,
    I was sitting on the wooden benches in the snow for that OJ game when he broke 200 yds. Man that was so long ago but you know what sports was better back then as a fan to watch.
    So the Jets have shown some interest in C. Benson. I would sign him to a veteran min contract in a heartbeat. Not only do you give them a veteran who appears to be hungry it will lite a fire under Greene who really has zero competition in camp. I like the T. Ganaway pick but he might only be a short yardage RB. We will start to learn about him in 10 days.

83. By IRA on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

Just compared Benson’s and Greene’s stats and they are very similar except for the fact Benson fumbled 5 times last years to Greene’s 1. Stil think for the right price this would be a good signing especially since they want to be a run heavy team again. I just can’t see McKnight being more than a 3rd down RB and besides him nobody else has any experience.

84. By GaryC on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

jetfantom, I am still waiting for you to answer my question on cam the sham newton,with all that offensive talent around him he could not lead them to the playoffs,maybe it was the interceptions he threw,sanchez had way less talent that you continually stated,such as a washed up jones and cotchery and still got two playoff wins his first year but in your opinion Newton is a can’t miss.

85. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

You’ll recall, Ira, that I speculated last yr around this time that the Jets might go after Benson, and that’s when we shoulda done so. Now he’s more like the 2nd scrub that I’ve predicted might be a good fit for us this off-season, the 1st having been Schilens. Spicer, I know you’re trying to make the best of it on Tebow, since you were as against the pickup as anybody. But only in Rex’s Demented Jetland would it be seen as a smart move to turn TT into a part-time RB instead of, say, just putting the 4 RBs we’ve drafted in recent yrs on the field. All this will change when Rex is gone and we get a real HC who doesn’t try to spin even his biggest mistakes and defend his most ludicrous assessments, like “Mark is an elite QB,” to the death.

86. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

Ira and Bennett, I was at the OJ game too, of course, quite a day. I also recall, more dimly, the day Paul Robinson of the Bengals went over the 1,000-yard mark against us on his way to Rookie of the Year, if I’m not mistaken. (I’d look it up but Randy does such a good job on stuff like that, I think I’ll leave that to him.)

87. By scjoe on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

Ira, I have been lobbying for Benson for months. He will not accept the veteran minimum, so you give him a “reasonable” deal. They will not regret it. He is a legitimate upgrade to what they have on the roster right now. Greene is not a #1, he is a very good complementary back. Benson, if signed, would immediately become the best off season acquisition to date. I am not giving this guy elite status as a RB, just better then anything we currently have. As for the cap? You make the necessary adjustments.

88. By Bennett on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

Aside from Sanchez pouting on the sidelines what also drives me crazy is watching him on the bike between possesions. What is that about ? I mean I can see a QB keeping his arm warm with soft tosses but always riding that bike. Is he that cold ? What is this ?.I never see anybody else riding the bike. Is it his own special bike ? Do the have somebody responsible for getting the “Sanchez Bike” out there ? I can’t remember ever having seen another QB do this. Also Sanchez is the slowest starting QB I have ever seen, 1st qt it is always 3 and out 3 and out. Should he not be playing in nice warm indoor stadiums, or in Texas or somewhere else hot ? He is truly a warm weather player something the Jets never even thought about

89. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, Sanchez has never even had a game with us as good as Newton’s first game as a pro, or his next couple. And you overrate all that “offensive talent” severely and besides, I thought we were done with that when you admitted that Smith is done. As for the rest of the team, there’s barely anyone worth mentioning. If you can’t see the difference between the arm strength, confidence, and physicality with which Newton plays the game and the weakness, inconsistency, and downright fear that characterizes Sanchez on the field, I can’t help you. An ophthalmologist can.

90. By GaryC on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

sanchez will get off to better starts this year with sparano, he will have him better prepared on what to look for,tendencies on what defenses tend to do,something shotty did not do.also the outside speed of the offense will open things up a lot and we won’t see keller getting clobbered by Ray Lewis coming over the middle.

91. By danny on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

Tom Spicer I am with you 100 percent on everything you said about Tebow. I been saying the same thing since they signed him. Ron looks at Tebow like a young NFL QB in which he is not. No one wanted Tebow so we got him for 1.2 million to make plays to win games and that is what Tebow does. No matter if he is lined up at QB, RB, TE or WR he makes winning plays and has the ability, size and toughness to play anywhere on the field

92. By danny on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

Rex loves Tebow and you even hear players interviews that MS is the QB and needs to stay on the field but Tebow can help us win games. He will be utilized under Sparano for prob 5 – 10 plays a game \and all it takes is 1 of those plays sometimes to win a game. Tebow is a winner Big Ron

93. By Karan on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

Although he favors the warmer climate, I don’t believe he is a warm weather player entirely Bennett. I do remember the way he played in those cold playoff games against the Patriots and Steelers. Both games in which he performed pretty well.

94. By ron alexander on Jul 19, 2012 | Reply

IRA, Like you I had the privaledge to see the great Jim Brown. He was a man amongst boys! He was about 6-2 240lbs,like zero body fat. The d-lineman and backers were mostly smaller than he was so he must have looked like a run-away freight train coming at them.Pitty the d-backs! Gayle Sayers was the fastest, most elusive,scariest back I ever saw!(kind of a Barry sanders with a brain!(Sanders was great,but gave back a lot of yds trying to make the impossiable runs.)Eric Dickerson was poetry in motion.Big, fast,and as graceful as a deere.Although not in this class, one of my favorites was Emerson Boozer with his spinn moves and 2nd effort runs to daylight.He and Snell were an awsome bacfield.

95. By ron alexander on Jul 19, 2012 | Reply

Danny, Dude, i am not a Tebow hater! I would have preferred we not bring him here because of the distraction issues, but he is here now so I hope he does well. But as big and strong as he is he is not Christian Okoye, or Payton Hillis.Those guys played their entire high school,college and pro careers as R.B’s and were trained to do so. Tebow has repeatdly said he is here to play Q.B. I’m sure he will run the ball a lot from the wild-cat as the potential for him to pass will no doubt make it tough on the defence to play run first. But i just cant see him lineing up in all these exotic formations you expect? This is not fantasy football.At least i hope its not? IRA, yeah, Turner was a big loss. a very underrated Jet!

96. By GaryC on Jul 19, 2012 | Reply

jetfantom, first off I never said Steve Smith is done,that might of been you in your infinite wisdom,he has a lot left in him, even more then Plastico had last year, as for cam the sham you have to check more thorougly the Panthers offensive roster,and be able to see the forest through the trees and admit that Newton has a long way to go before you anoint him elite status.But, yes you are right about seeing an opthomologist,I am going down to cvs to get new reading glasses,I cannot believe what I am seeing now with your posts on Newton.

97. By GaryC on Jul 19, 2012 | Reply

I can give you a great running back who is long but forgotten,except to some of the older fans, John Henry Johnson who played for a lot of rotten Steeler teams and long before Bradshaw and Mean Joe Greene got there.strong power back in the mold of gilchrist and Jim Nance.

98. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 19, 2012 | Reply

If Newton has a long way to go after a rookie year like that, GaryC, how long a way to go does Sanchez have? To Mars? And don’t make me laugh pretending Carolina fans wouldn’t trade their entire roster for about half of ours in a heartbeat.

99. By GaryC on Jul 19, 2012 | Reply

who the heck needs cedric benson, an underachiever most of his career,he is a clone of Greene,no movement skills and stone hands,great combination,like Bogart said in the movie THE HARDER THEY FALL,when describing the Primo Carnera clone in the movie,the guy has a glass jaw and powder puff punch,GREAT COMBINATION.In Benson’s case,no elusiveness,no hands.

100. By GaryC on Jul 20, 2012 | Reply

jetfantom, one minute you say we are rebuilding, the next minute you say carolina fans would give their eye teeth for our roster,you can’t have it both ways.

101. By GaryC on Jul 20, 2012 | Reply

jetfantom, one of your quotes was the jets would need to build the entire roster to think about winning a super bowl,for some reason I believe the panthers are further along then that.

102. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 20, 2012 | Reply

I guess you’ve never heard that Mark Twain thing about holding two opposing ideas in your head at one time, GaryC, or in this case holding even two slightly opposing ideas in your head. The Jets are mediocre, the Panthers pretty awful, so yeah, I’m sure most Panther fans would take our roster and Newton over their roster and Sanchez. Who on the Panthers is even in the league of Mangold, Moore, Holmes, Harris, Revis, and Cromartie? How many of their young players have the potential of Kerley, Slauson, McKnight, and Wilkerson? And I notice you have nothing to say about Newton’s rookie yr stats, which is a really good thing because there’s probably not 1 person on this site who’d take Sanchez over Newton. Stop spinning and start thinking.

103. By danny on Jul 20, 2012 | Reply

I agree Ron it’s not fantasy football and I def wasn’t for signing Tebow but the fact that we have him and the dude can make some plays to help us I’m all for it and from things i hear Sparano will utilize this kid’s talents and however or wherever on the field he can do it. i also think he will be a decoy a lot too but always that threat so teams must worry about him. In a few months we will find out and I can’t wait. I really think we will be a much better team on both sides of the ball this yr

104. By GaryC on Jul 21, 2012 | Reply

jetfantom, as good as harris is Jon Beason puts him to shame,Charles Johnson had more sacks then any jet,Williams and Stewart are better then any jet back,Olson at tightend is what most jet fans are looking for in a tightend,height and speed.Also being out there in LaLa land you have to remember how good Ryan Kalil was at USC and he is just as good in the pros,along with Gross and Otah a pretty good line,at least they don’t have a Wayne Hunter as a starter.

105. By ron alexander on Jul 21, 2012 | Reply

Danny, O.k, I can go with that. We are on the same page. He’s here and we both want him to do well.GARYC, I know Benson is not a star and his fumbling is a red-flag as S.C.Joe likes to say, but Greene’s running style makes him subject to injury, McKnight has not demonstrated an ability to be a full time player and Powell has shown little so far. That leaves the rookie Ganaway who thrived in a spread offence where the defenders virtuall ignored him until he cleared the line of scrimmage with the ball in hand because they were much more concerned with R.G III than they were with him.So mabey bringing Benson in on a 1 year deal wouldn’t be such a bad thing. I havn’t heard anything about him being a locker room problem so I’m good with that. How about a blocking T.E? We have like zero on our current roster now!

106. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 21, 2012 | Reply

You make a good case for a few Panthers, GaryC, but that’s about it.