• Wed., Sep. 03, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Replay Jets Open Mic on SNY Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences
  • Thu., Sep. 04, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Thu., Sep. 04, 2014 10:00 PM - 10:30 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Fri., Sep. 05, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Sat., Sep. 06, 2014 7:30 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Sun., Sep. 07, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Live Jets Post Game: Raiders at Jets Reactions and on-field interviews with Jets players immediately following every Jets game
  • Sun., Sep. 07, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Live Jets Post Game: Raiders at Jets Reactions and on-field interviews with Jets players immediately following every Jets game
  • Mon., Sep. 08, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Live Jets Open Mic

Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences

• Tue., Sep. 09, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Live Jets Extra Point Analysis of the previous week’s game and exclusive interivews with Jets players and coaches
  • Wed., Sep. 10, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Live Jets Open Mic

Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences

Rex Blitzes Media with Word of His Weight Loss

Posted by Randy Lange on July 19, 2012 – 8:20 am

Rex Ryan made a national cable television appearance this morning and showed that he’s in fighting trim for the start of training camp next week.

“I’m down 105 pounds,” the still-slimming Jets head coach told Gretchen Carlson and Steve Doocy on the Fox & Friends curvy couch bright and early this morning about dropping weight after topping off at 348 pounds. The Fox morning show was the start of a media blitz for the Lap-Band surgery that he underwent in 2010.

“My big thing is I want to be the Rex Ryan that wins. I did this for health reasons. I’m ready to attack this season.”

The main topic of the show besides Rex’s weight loss was what they labeled the “QB Quarrel” between Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow as the two prepare to compete and run the Jets offense at SUNY Cortland in less than 10 days. Ryan broke no new ground in saying there is no question about how his quarterback depth chart will shake out: Sanchez is the starter. As for Tebow …

“I think the first two years we had much success when we had a guy named Brad Smith,” Rex said of the Missouri QB who arrived in 2006 and left for the Bills before last season. “And the guy who brought the Wildcat to the NFL, Tony Sparano, is our offensive coordinator. I’ve been a big believer in the difficulty of defending against it. It makes you play 11-on-11.

“And the best Wildcat quarterback in the league is Tim Tebow. All I’ll say about Tim is that he’s an outstanding football player.”

Carlson asked if there will be pressure on the coach to play Tebow more once the season gets under way? Rex said no.

“My job is to win games,” he said. “The pressure is that I just want to win. That’s what our fans want more than anything else. That’s my charge.”

Asked if his new svelte silhouette has earned him any new nicknames, he said of the fans, “No, they’re staying with the traditional ones.”

Tags: , , , ,

56 Responses to “Rex Blitzes Media with Word of His Weight Loss”

1. By Bennett on Jul 19, 2012 | Reply

This Landry thing is quite simple if you take the time to look at the facts. Landry has missed 15 games due to injury in the last 2 seasons alone. He has had groin,
    hamstring, and now an achilles injurires. The Skins doctors wanted surgery and estimated he would be sidelined FOR TWO YEARS. Landry refused and the releationship with the Skins medical staff became so strained the refused to pay for his chosen coarse of treatment (this is a whole other story ).The were glad to see him go. Last year Landry said he would be ready to go by March. Is he ready to go now in JuIy ?? If he is ready this season and plays the 1 year deal and the Jets cap mess make it unlikely we could retain a healty Landry. Just the facts. Typical illogical Jet move

2. By Bennett on Jul 19, 2012 | Reply

The Landry thing sems to me to be compensation injuries, which can become chronic and often get the label “injury prone”. If an injury is not fully healed or cannot fully heal the body will naturally seek to protect the injury and compensate for the reduced effecentcy by placing undue strain on another body part intregal to the movement,the brain is trying to accomplish. In other words if the brain tells the body to do something it will in one way or another try and do it This often leads to “chain injurires”. The fact that Landry’s injuries are all interrelated to a specific movement and body area makes me think this is the case. If the achilles is not fully healed the body will seek to protect it while trying to complete the movement

3. By Bennett on Jul 19, 2012 | Reply

More on Landry… By movement I mean of coarse running. It would be interesting to see if the hamstring and achilles injuries are on the same leg. If the achilles is not or cannot fully heal under the coarse of treatment Landry has taken than you can expect either a reinjury or a new injury in an area related to the movement (running) The fact that the Skins were willing to “carry” Landry for the 2 years of the recovery ( if he had the surgery) tells me just how good the thought he was. Of coarse I have no idea what the would have done when his contract was up. Most telling is the opinion of some of the finest sports injury doctors in the country, retained by the Skins,that were so opposed to the non-surgical treatment.

4. By 40 year fan on Jul 19, 2012 | Reply

I just heard about Jim Leonhard not returning ..That is sad ..I really liked leonhard …He was smart ..He always seemed to know where the play was going before the snap ..I hope he gets picked up somewhere else ..Not the patriots though

5. By kleckofan on Jul 19, 2012 | Reply

I guess I spoke too soon about Rex keeping the game plan under wraps…just can’t help himself.

6. By 40 year fan on Jul 19, 2012 | Reply

some positives on the Jets ;….Rex is trimmed down ,….we have more speed on defense , which we sorely needed , we had a great draft this year …We have a great new offensive coach in Sparano , …we have more size at reciever ..

7. By 40 year fan on Jul 19, 2012 | Reply

Randy , have you heard anything on the Cedric Benson to New York deal ? …I heard it’s in the works ….

8. By 40 year fan on Jul 19, 2012 | Reply

Re sign Jim Leonhard as an insurance policy on Landry …The way our luck has gone at safety the last few years …

9. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 19, 2012 | Reply

If Hill doesn’t catch close to 50 passes, Ira, it’ll be because Holmes barely caught that and Keller caught his usual 60 without major impact. So it all starts with the QBs and the OL, not Hill in his rookie yr. Sparano seems really high on him, let’s see how high he is on Sanchez scoring only a TD or less in the first half of every game. As for Leonhard, nice guy, great desire, and born to star in the Canadian league at best. Hire him as a DB coach.

10. By scjoe on Jul 19, 2012 | Reply

It will be interesting to see if Tim Tebow lines up anywhere other then QB during the pre season. I would think that none of that part of the offensive scheme that we all expect to see from TT will be shown until game #1 vs the Bills, or at best only a small sample of it. All things considered, re: how Tim Tebow will be used, it would be wise of Rex to give McElroy plenty of reps during camp and pre season.

11. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 19, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, here are Newton’s rookie yr stats, read ‘em and — when compared to Sanchez’s career stats, much less HIS rookie yr — weep:
    ATT – 517 COMP – 310 PCT – 60% AVG – 7.84 TD – 21 INT – 17 RATING – 84.5
    As you can plainly see, Sanchez has yet to put up numbers as good as almost any of those in any category. And you’ll get nowhere with anyone who watches NFL football by saying that Newton’s had it easy ’cause the Panthers are so much better than the Jets. So give this one up before it becomes too embarrassing. I expect much better from you than blind, irrational Sanchez worship.

12. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 19, 2012 | Reply

Thanks for the treatise on Landry, Bennett. I admire Spicer’s insight into our strengths and weaknesses at DB. But until this dude can stay on the field, there’s no point getting too excited about him. I’m actually much more interested in what Bush and Allen do this year, they’re the future or at least part of it, unlike Landry and Bell who are just stopgap guys. As far as Rex’s weight goes, as long as that stuff makes news I know we’re definitely #2 in New York and nowhere close to a contender. You don’t hear too much about what the coaches on, say, GB, NE, NO, and PT weigh.

13. By Bennett on Jul 19, 2012 | Reply

Let me see if I got this right: Sanchez leads the drive all the way down the field to the 16 than is pulled and Tebow leads the offense to the score. ARE THE REALLY CRAZY ENOUGHT TO THINK THIS WILL WORK OUT!!!!!

14. By 40 year fan on Jul 19, 2012 | Reply

I Love fox and freinds ,…

15. By aerosmith on Jul 19, 2012 | Reply

landrys A BEAST “AND” he WILL be MORE THAN READY the DIRTY 30 ,im thrilled to have him ;i loved leonard too but the same leg broke TWICE and the last one was a pick and he just got his leg pulled i ll take bell and landry ANY DAY;fann since 68,GO J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS !!!!!!!=)

16. By scjoe on Jul 19, 2012 | Reply

A word about the safety position which was a weak link last season. Exactly what have we done to upgrade it? Landry? Huge question mark particularly re: his health. Bell? Probably past his prime with not so great coverage skills. Smith? Just look at his performance over the past few years. Then the two low round draft picks, unless the Jets get really, and I mean REALLY lucky with one of them and he is able to contribute something this year we may just be in worse shape at that position then last season. Mr T??

17. By scjoe on Jul 19, 2012 | Reply

Bennett, consider the alternative. Sanchez leads them down to the 16 then…….INT to one of the D lineman, or worse, to one of the corners who returns it 90 for the TD. Think about it, bringing Tebow in to that situation may not be that bad of an idea.

18. By IRA on Jul 20, 2012 | Reply

Tom,
    Sorry to disagree but Hill is just too raw to put hope 50 = catches his rookie year. That doesn’t mean he won’t be a difference maker. He will be a strong blocker in the running game plus he will stretch the field and make some big catches. I have him at about 35 catches this year. I give Keller his 65 or so and Holmes about 60 or so and Kerley chips in with about 40. McKnight we hope gets about 30-35 too.

19. By IRA on Jul 20, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, Sanchez was in the top 5 for QB efficiency in the redzone. His QB rating was 85 with 21 TD’s passes and 6 rushing TD’s. He did throw 4 picks but in 09 and 010 he had only a total of 2 in the redzone. I expect him to protect the ball better because of Sparano and they will run the ball more down there. So the redzone has not been his problem. Its between the 20″s where he needs to improve and will.
    GO JETS!!!!

20. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 20, 2012 | Reply

Ira, I don’t see any huge difference between 35 and 50 catches for Hill this yr, that difference could easily have to do with the performance of our starting QB. But it’s weird that at the same time you say Hill’s unlikely to get 50, you project Kerley at 40 and McKnight, who’s barely played on O, to get 30-35. And I don’t see why these numerical predictions occupy you in the first place. The big question is whether or not Sanchez shows he’s really got it this yr, and the second biggest question is whether the Jets got Tebow just for a few stunts or to take over at QB over the next few yrs. Compared to those questions, the question of who catches how many balls this yr is relatively meaningless.

21. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 20, 2012 | Reply

This’ll make you feel better, 40 year fan, from NFL News: “Davis, a 3rd-round pick from Arkansas State, has wowed Jets onlookers and coaches all offseason. He should play for Scott on passing downs. Based on some of the reports, he may be too good to keep off the field as a starter. His talent is strong and his leadership abilities are said to be better. The Jets need to get faster on defense. Replacing Scott with Davis would help take care of that. Davis looks like a long-term building block. Scott is in his final season with the team at best. If the Jets can’t wait to hand the keys to Davis, the team could be cutting Scott and eating his salary.”

22. By kleckofan on Jul 20, 2012 | Reply

as I said above, it’s just too much to ask that we keep are cards close to the vest. Yesterday Rex talks about Brad Smith and the Wildcat and today we have the “Tebow in the redzone” article. Make Sanchez put up or get out, this smoke and mirrors novelty stuff will only confuse the issue. We will still be abused over the middle this year, except now that we brought in big hitting safeties we will be burned in deep routes. Only hope is that the pass rush is greatly improved. BENNETT thanks for the Landry scenarios, sounds like a Tanny screw up to me.

23. By GaryC on Jul 20, 2012 | Reply

jetfantom, stats as they say are for losers,until proven otherwise,yes newton complete passes to a group of receivers that were far superior to what the jets had,steve smith,future hall of famer who you say is over the hill,funny that last year you didn’t think plastico and stone mason were pass their prime and about the same age,maybe because plastico caught a td in a super bowl and mason was coming from a winning organization,couple of years ago smith caught a touchdown against the giants and suffered a broken arm in the process,If only burress,holmes and mason had shown that effort with the jets.

24. By Morena on Jul 20, 2012 | Reply

I wouldn’t watch Fox & Friends,if you held a gun to my head–not even to see Rex Ryan’s new physique.,.

25. By scjoe on Jul 20, 2012 | Reply

Ira, I will change the wording a little from your post. You say you “expect” Sanchez to protect the ball a little better under Sparano. I say I “hope” he protects the ball a little better under Sparano. This is year #4. The OC who many suggested was the reason Sanchez never excelled is now gone. New OC, new system, if the results are the same we all have our answer, like it or not.

26. By Jimmer on Jul 20, 2012 | Reply

Somebody needs to tell writers that Sparano did not invent the wildcat in the nfl. We were running it for 2yrs before Miami was. I hate laziness in the press.

27. By Jimmer on Jul 20, 2012 | Reply

I have something for all you MS haters out there. MS may be a better passer on the run than in the pocket. Maybe TT was brought in to assist MS in the art of escape? I think that is much more likely, than any coach correcting TT mechanics. Remember, we refused Denver in their bid to take McElroy as part of the trade. This happens when Rex and Tanny were still upset with McElroy over his comments about team unity. If MS goes down for any period of time, it’s not TT for the long haul. It’s McElroy.

28. By Bennett on Jul 20, 2012 | Reply

Ron Alexander nice to read your take on things, good, interesting informed insight . That post is fairly tame ( for me) I like to amuse myself, the ones that are “way out” don’t make it past Randy. You should have read my ongoing saga on a Jets free agents trip to N.Y awhile back, went on for weeks…. now that was some weird stuff … most of it got throught. When training camp starts I’m ready to discuss some serious Jet football , off season times like this we should have a little fun… Agreed Amigo ? People got to have a little fun

29. By danny on Jul 20, 2012 | Reply

Cam Newton had great stats last yr but look at his record. I’ll take wins over my QB putting up monster stats. He was exciting to watch but if he don’t start winning games no one will care or look at him as a top QB. Yes he blew away MS rookie Stats but MS won 2 playoff games his rookie yr and Cam won 0. As Mike Singletary says ” I want winners “

30. By wayne on Jul 20, 2012 | Reply

LIONHEART continues to work on that throwing motion. The young fella is fully aware of the magnitude of the opportunity in front of him and i do not believe he will waste it.

31. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 21, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, you’re flailing, you take Sanchez and I’ll take Newton, that’s all I have to say. If you ARE the real GaryC, that is, this “I can’t stand to lose so I’ll defend a mediocre QB to the death” stuff doesn’t sound like the GaryC I know. danny, I shouldn’t comment on anything said by anyone who still thinks rookie or mediocre QBs win games almost single-handedly. (That’s something that only elite QBs do.) But I will: Sanchez has lost as many games as he’s won for us and he hasn’t been able to put together a complete AFC championship game either time. So I’ll give Newton a little more time before writing him off, especially since he just had the best rookie yr of any NFL QB in about 20 yrs.

32. By GaryC on Jul 21, 2012 | Reply

jetfantom, you are on,I will stick with Sanchez and you Newton, as they say the proof is in the pudding, 4 playoff wins to 0 so far.too bad because if Newton does well that proves my theory that carolina has more talent then you suggest and If he does lousy you will come back and say it is because of the lousy talent he has around him,it will be like the obama supporters saying it is Bush’s fault.

33. By GaryC on Jul 21, 2012 | Reply

Jetfantom, like I said earlier in the year, Sanchez will have to show me improvement this year under Sparano and I believe he will, with the new speed on the outside,and an upgrade in the play calling, True,I am not ready to give up on a guy who has taken a beating from a weak offensive line and had a pedestrian receiving corp at best last year,and also a group that tried to undermine him.The Jets have had to many lousy quarterbacks over the years to give up on sanchez just yet.

34. By GaryC on Jul 21, 2012 | Reply

Stick with Me Danny, we will have JetFanTom singing a new tune my the end of the year.

35. By scjoe on Jul 21, 2012 | Reply

Jimmer, I, “for one” am not a Sanchez “hater” as you suggest. However, I am not a huge fan either. That is based solely on his overall performance the past three years. I see some here making comparisons to Sanchez with other QBs around the league, Don’t matter, we have Sanchez period! Many here suggested the outgoing OC was the problem, not Sanchez. I am not one of them, but will give him the benefit of the doubt and we all should know the answer by mid to late season.As for McElroy starting ahead of Tebow should Sanchez go down? Wont happen. Not this year, not if both are healthy.

36. By scjoe on Jul 21, 2012 | Reply

ESPN reports that Darrelle Revis WILL report to training camp on time along with everyone else. I say WOW, that is very nice of you Mr Revis, for you to report to “your job” on time simply because you are still under contract for two more years is sooooo very nice of you. You are truly a team player.

37. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 21, 2012 | Reply

You’re on, GaryC, all this hometown fan hairsplitting aside, I don’t see Sanchez’s upside potential anywhere near Newton’s and I doubt you’ll find too many people in the NFL who do. As for giving up on Sanchez, if he isn’t markedly better this yr even with the team’s problems, he’ll never be an elite QB and it’s time to look elsewhere, especially with Tebow and McElroy already on the roster.

38. By oasus on Jul 21, 2012 | Reply

Sanchez has won as many games as he’s lost? I didn’t know that 20 was equal to 28…

39. By Jimmer on Jul 21, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, I really wasn’t calling you out on that one. I was speaking in general terms, from the press as well as here. I think MS will never make the probowl. Shotty got Pennington destroyed, almost ended Favres career, and got MS beat to a pulp. That’s one reason many of us wanted Shotty gone. I actually defended Shotty until about week 12 of 2011. What I do think, is MS will have his best season to date.
    McElroy, his decision making comes through reads, which he does quickly. If our OL is shaky again, he may be the best shot to win.

40. By scjoe on Jul 21, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, how are you so sure there will be an “upgrade” in the play calling under Sparano? As for the O Line? It is the exact same line as last year. The “pedestrian” receivers of last year are pretty much the same as this year as well, except there will be a rook at one starting spot opposed to a vet last year. So, why are you so optimistic there will be improvement in Sanchez?

41. By IRA on Jul 22, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, Yes Revis will show up but i think the story is not over yet. Just hope he doesn’t get up there and starts to ride the Tour de Cortland.

42. By GaryC on Jul 22, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, speed wise you have to give the edge of Hill and Schilens over Burress and Mason,speed alone will open up the underneath routes to keller,holmes and kerley, and remember sparano did make Matt Moore a half decent quarterback and I would say Sanchez has more ability then him,the line still is troubling with hunter but that goes to my idea last year if ducasse is ready to become the starting left guard then instead of SWING OUT SISTER WE CAN HAVE SWING OUT SLAUSON,swinging out to right tackle.

43. By oasus on Jul 22, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, its because Sparano is a successful play caller, something he wasn’t doing in Miami. Look at the Dallas Cowboys in 2006. Sparano called the plays then, and were reasonably successful.

44. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 22, 2012 | Reply

Jeez, oasus, do I have to spell everything out for ya? I meant that Sanchez himself, in terms of his individual effort, has lost as many games for the team as he’s won. Last yr, for instance, I can’t think of more than a game or 2 that we wouldn’t have won without him, but he had a huge hand in almost every loss, especially the last 3. Get with the program! Good pt about MS and this upgrade, scjoe, I don’t really know what’s gotten into GaryC. Sparano sounds good and that’s about all that’s concretely happened so far. When I see MS routinely put 2 TDs on the board in the 1st half and really more like the 1st qtr, I’ll consider that he’s showing some significant improvement, not before.

45. By scjoe on Jul 22, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, I am not so sure “speed alone” will open up anything. I think there needs to be at least some body of work. At least some indication of success before that can happen. I look at Sanchez inability to throw deep accurately, then I look at Hill’s inexperience (even at the college level) and I just don’t see what you see.As for the O line? I just don’t want to beat that dead horse anymore. That is something that should have been addressed months ago.

46. By scjoe on Jul 22, 2012 | Reply

Jimmer, I understand you were not singling me out as a Sanchez “hater” that is why I emphasized “I for one” Many people use that term (hater) and that really is not the case. I don’t believe there is a Jet fan out there who “hates” the guy. All posts and comments are directly related to his performance as a pro QB, and I believe “to date” the facts speak for themselves. As for McElroy? I agree 100% about his decision making, but the book is still open for him and I would seriously doubt he would be able to step in “this year” remember, he lost almost all of last season (his rookie season) on IR.

47. By IRA on Jul 22, 2012 | Reply

When Sparano was calling the plays for the Cowboys in 06 they finished the season as the 4th ranked offense and scored an avg of 26.6 pts per game. If this defense can play the way i think it has the potential to this year and they can avg say 21 pts per game offensively then this team can win 10 games and get into the playoffs. I know the NFL has become a pass happy league but sorry i am old school and still believe you can have success playing great defense and being a good solid offense.
    GO JETS!!!!

48. By GaryC on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

to scjoe and jetfantom,are you guys as worried with the defense,with pace,scott and thomas as your linebacking unit,if more youth isn’t injected into that corp,yes I think I have more optimism about the offense.

49. By GaryC on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

jetfantom,in your neverending Murphys Law look at the jets,give me the quarterback you would like to see quarterbacking the jets,remember,no starters from another team,you cannot deal for them,no team is giving you their starting quarterback,give me the name who is going to lead the jets who is better than sanchez,the silence is deafening.

50. By Jimmer on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

Ira, I’m with you. Sports go through trending periods. But all sports always revert to 1 thing that trends cannot get over. Defense. I hate to point to other teams,,,,, but look at the Steelers. They never ignore the defense, and they still almost always make the playoffs. We’re on what, year 40 of that? The bears in the mid 80’s had a pathetic offense(no disrespect to walter payton), but were the most feared in the nfl. The cowboys in the early 90’s,, that offense would not have much luck today, but their defense would keep them in games.
    We had gaffes on both sides of the ball in 2011, but were still a .500 team! We have added a dimension lacking on both sides of the ball,,, SPEED. We replaced a slow 6’5″ wr with one that is in the 4.3 range. ST and LB have been addressed, as well as some help on the DL for some pass rush. I for one am optimistic without dreaming SB.

51. By scjoe on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, that is a flat out NO! I am not worried half as much about the defense as I am about the offense. Now, am I saying that the defense is “elite” No! I am just saying that , based on performance, and the few pieces that they added in the off season that the D should be “respectable” At this point I can only hope that is true with the offense as well. Lets just see how many moire of those 0 for the first quarter we will have to encounter before we can call the offense respectable.

52. By GaryC on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

jetfantom, still searching the rosters,As Seargeant Carter used to say,:I CANT HEAR YOU’

53. By SCfromNY on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

I think the defense should improve. Are Landry, Bell, and 2 rookies great at safety? No, but they are better than last year. The same could be said for the DL and LBs. BUT, I want to see a defense that allows the least points I am not concerned about yards. Even if Sanchez could go back to his skill set in 2010 it could be enough to get to the playoffs. I think the RBs and receivers are upgraded. Start the scoring earlier, less 3 and outs so the defense can play in the 4th quarter. It doesn’t matter that the defense is ranked #1 in yards allowed BUT gives it up in the last 4 minutes. Their yards still look decent but they LOST. If Sanchez can keep his cool and move around a bit there will be oppotunities. Yes Tebow won 7 games BUT once teams planned for him it was over. Yes they beat the Steelers but IMO the Steelers beat themselves with planning and injuries.

54. By GaryC on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

there you go scjoe, the jets do not have Hunter as the starter,yes jetfantom, that is the real GaryC who said Otah was better then Hunter,little did I know he would be a Jet.ladidada.

55. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

I have to do SOME work every day, GaryC, and today my spare time was spent telling Arte that it’s not Sanchez and Tebow/Rex and Sparano, it’s Sanchez OR Tebow (or Mc) and Sparano OVER Rex, at least on an interim basis. As for the D and speed, that’s why I posted the piece about Davis already playing Scott off the field. But if you’re asking me what CFL QB is better than Sanchez, I admit, I have no answer. If you’re asking me whether there might not be a QB in next yr’s draft who’ll be better than Sanchez in a yr or 2 — like the way Newton is already better than Sanchez after 1 yr — that question isn’t even worth answering.

56. By ron alexander on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

SCfromNY, great point. i agree about the “D” definately should be improved over last year. The bottom line is points allowed! I dont like teams driving down the field and racking up big yardage as it wears the defence down. But I’d rather allow a few yds but few points than have our opponents drive down and score the winning points.Sanchez is the key to our season. If he can get the job done in this his 4th season we will be in good shape going forward.If he bombs out we need to go back to the drawing board and start over with a new Q.B. lets hope it doesn’t come to that.Because if that happans TOM64 will probably get an early christmas present as Woody will also get rid of Tanney,Rex and the rest of the current crew!