• Mon., Nov. 24, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 24, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Tue., Nov. 25, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Extra Point – Only on SNY

• Wed., Nov. 26, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Wed., Nov. 26, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

• Thu., Nov. 27, 2014 12:30 PM - 1:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY Jets Game Plan is a 30-minute preview show co-hosted by Jeane Coakley and Brian Custer with analysts Ray Lucas and Erik Coleman, providing a comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup.
  • Sat., Nov. 29, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Tue., Dec. 02, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Mon., Dec. 08, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Mon., Dec. 15, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

Martin on Hall Enshrinement, Now 2 Weeks Away

Posted by Randy Lange on July 23, 2012 – 5:00 pm

Curtis Martin’s journey to the Pro Football Hall of Fame has very much been a theme for newyorkjets.com and for many other media and fan outlets since his quest began in early 2011 and came to fruition with his choice by the selection committee this past February. And it will continue to be something we’ll be involved in up to and through his enshrinement in Canton on Saturday, Aug. 4.

This afternoon, as the big day looms less than two weeks from now, Curtis made a stop for an international conference call with writers who wanted to chat with him for stories this week and next. He said even though the big day is drawing ever closer, he’s still kind of getting his grips on the event.

“I’m still having a problem really understanding that something that was so far outside of my dreams or my aspirations is actually happening right now,” he said. “I don’t think it hit me yet, and it may not hit me till I get to canton. But I’m definitely proud and appreciative of the moment.”

Something that always struck me about Martin was that even though he said he never aspired to this level, he was nevertheless always the consummate Hall of Fame-quality player throughout his career. And that includes not only fulfilling all his duties as a running back and team leader on the field, but off it as well.

Specifically, when he was in the locker room and talking with reporters before or after a game, he always knew exactly what to say and how to say it. That trait continued to come to the front during this conference call when, confronted with questions he’s answered any number of times, he still came up answers, in his inimitable football eloquence, that shed light onto his tremendous mindset as he went about fashioning his career as one of the great backs ever to play the game.

Here are a few highlights from the call that I gleaned for all the No. 28 fans out there:

Surely you must have dreamed about entering the Hall of Fame at some time during your career.

“That was never a dream. Football was never a dream for me,” he said. “I ended up playing football just to stay out of trouble and stay alive. Football was something my mother forced me to do just so I could grow up in the neighborhood I grew up in. The Hall of Fame wasn’t something I would even dream about dreaming about.”

Is there any player you looked up to and shaped your career after?

“I was never a football fan. I was never really a fan of the game. But when I played Pop Warner football, I wore a neck brace and goggles like Eric Dickerson. He might have been the closest player for me that I emulated when I played the game.”

Is there anyone you felt was your greatest opponent?

“For me there was a player like that on every team. I would always pick someone out. One of my favorite players to pick out was Ray Lewis. I always wanted to challenge him to see if I could win the game between us whenever we played Baltimore. But my biggest challenge was outdoing myself. Anytime I stepped on the field, I tried to out-compete myself. I don’t think anybody could compete with me as hard as I competed with myself.”

How about your legendary low fumble rate?

“I just took pride in it. I remember being a rookie, we were in [New England's] training camp and I fumbled the ball a couple of times. Bill Parcells made me carry the ball maybe for a week straight. I wasn’t allowed to be caught without the football. When I was eating lunch or eating dinner, I had the ball in one hand. When I was in meetings, I had the ball in one hand. He told the entire team to knock it out of my hands whenever they saw me and I was penalized if they were able to knock it out of my hands, even if we were in a meeting room. That kind of attention made me focus on the ball and that was a huge part of my game. I always felt that giving the ball up was letting my team down.”

What about your perhaps underrated skills as a receiver?

“I prided myself in being the best at whatever I needed to do. I’m very competitive. Even if I don’t like to do something, I’m determined to be the best at it. I don’t like second place, I don’t like playing second string. That’s just the way I’m wired. To me it wasn’t necessarily about being a good receiver out of the backfield. To me it was all encompassed in being a good running back. I wanted to be the best at everything I did.”

I never get tired of hearing Curtis Martin talk about football and I hope you don’t, either. We’ll have a few more stories about him as Canton looms before us. I’ll be making the trip to the Hall town to be at the big commemorative dinner on Friday, Aug. 3, and Eric Allen and our multimedia department will cover Curtis’ big day when he is officially enshrined at Fawcett Stadium, along with his 2012 classmates, Jack Butler, Dermontti Dawson, Chris Coleman, Cortez Kennedy and Willie Roaf, on Saturday night, Aug. 4.

Curtis Martin Photos
Curtis Martin Wallpapers
Curtis Martin Reflects on Hall of Fame Induction
Hall of Fame Tour: Part 1 | Part 2

Tags: , ,

60 Responses to “Martin on Hall Enshrinement, Now 2 Weeks Away”

1. By scjoe on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

Our prayers have been answered! If it is anything less then a 1st round pick it would make it doubly nice. Great pick up!!!

2. By danny on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

If Otah can stay healthy BYE BYE Wayne Hunter

3. By DKM on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

RL, very good keep it coming there is no nicer guy in this sport that deserves that kind of attention, to bad BP didnt make in with him.
    Congrats CM.

4. By DKM on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

Ok, Otah somebody must have told MT that WH isnt cutting it, Sporano anyone ?
    Good PU.

5. By DKM on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

Maybe Rex is a little to busy with his Weight and Tony is pulling the strings here. Just saying.

6. By SCfromNY on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

Hunter will become what Tebow is: A flawed backup that can come in during an emergency.

7. By DKM on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

i mean with good i mean good if the guy gets his stuff together he is a upgrade but as any Panther Fan will tell you it hasnt been a cake walk with Otah there, beside staying healty he has some Major attitude issues. It could be a gain or the Panthers just got rid of a headache.

8. By DKM on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

Well all the Landry discussion in the prior week here has been answered, PUP to start Training camp well the recovery didnt go as planned maybe should have opted for the surgery when Health PROS suggested to you. Hopefully one of the Kids we drafted is going to work out or else we right back to where we ended the Season. But then again there is always the posibility JL. We like to recycle.

9. By DKM on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

And by the way so much for the asumption that B Scotts days are numbered with Jets, with D Davis landing on the PUP to start his career with us, we better make sure that he is here.

10. By Tom Spicer on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

Jets acquired OT Jeff Otah from the Panthers in exchange for a conditional draft choice. Fare thee well, Wayne Hunter he represents a potentially massive upgrade on turnstile Hunter if healthy. He is expected to be 100 percent for camp. Still just 26, the No. 19 overall pick of the 2008 draft has the potential to be one of the better right tackles in football if he can get and stay healthy.

11. By TONY GARCIA on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

JET FAN since 1969, I think were going to be ok.THAT being said first 4 games will tell a’lot how season will go.more speed and depth.

12. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

If it was even a 3rd round pick it was a bad move, scjoe, the guy’s had knee injuries three times. And just his presence alone isn’t likely to get us to the Super Bowl this yr or next. Once again Mr T shreds draft choices for questionable, short-term pickups. I’ll give Otah a chance, but this is just more Same Old Jets front office foolishness. And of course, if we’d held onto the 4th round pick we wasted on Tebow…

13. By IRA on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

What you can you say about Curtis that hasn’t been said already? Prediction his speech will bring a tear to everybody’s eyes. Congrats and God Bless!
    Very smart move to bring in Otah. Lets be real Hunter had zero competition heading up to Cortland until yesterday. For all those who want to rejoice and think their problem at RT is solved don’t hold your breathe. IF Otah can stay on the field he is a good upgrade over Hunter. Lets wait and see how this pushes Hunter and just maybe he will step up his game and win the job anyway. Competition is good for everybody. I just hope Otah who has missed 31 of his last 35 games can stay on the field.

14. By IRA on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

They had better hope that Bush picks up the NFL game real quick. I am not sold on the Landry deal. Lets hope Davis heals fast because i expect him to make an impact this year. I would hate to see him miss any significant time in camp he will need all the reps he can get.

15. By GaryC on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

seeing that we got otah why not go and get another panther, chris godfrey, another guy who would even be an upgrade over landry,Jetfantom, this acquisition is better then most,if it is for a third rounder,remember this guy is in his mid 20′s and maybe fills a big hole in the offensive line,at least he isn’t some old wide receiver who can’t get down the field.

16. By Brian on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

Mark is our QB and I can’t sit by here and watch when I check these messages you guys slamming him ever chance you get. I specifically mean you Jet fan 64 and Tom Spicer. I bought his jersey and where it proudly all the time. I would not even think of buying a Tebow jersey. So support Mark or find another site this is supposed to be for Jet fans and a true Jet fan knos how good Mark is and appreciate his sacrifice he made coming to the Jets. We are just lucky we got him before some better teams did. LEAVE MARK ALONE AND LET HIM PLAY WITHOUT ALWAYS SLAMMING HIM!!!!

17. By Brian on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

And just to follow up on this point Jet fan 64 you seem to be on here the most so if you spent some time actually watching Mark play instead of slamming him you would see how good he is. He was not the 6th pick for nothing and won it all at UCLA something you and others just happen to forget. He was held back by the offensive co and when the finally let him play he showed what he got and took us to the afc games. Try and cocentrate on football instead of cricticaly attacking a member of the jets for other players and coaches mistakes Maybe if you new a little more about the game you would plainly see this and the other strengths he brings to the table like leadership and putting the team always first in his approach to the games

18. By scjoe on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

64, from what I understand it is a #7 that could go to a 5 with certain amount of playing time. I just hope we didn’t get the offensive version of Leron Landry. But, “if” healthy this could put a whole new light on things.

19. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

Hey Brian, welcome to the site, and I hope you WEAR your Sanchez jersey in good health when you watch old clips of him throwing badly over 20 yards on USC (I saw most of the games he played there, did you?) not UCLA. Sounds like I’ve been watching football for a lot longer — 50 yrs — than you’ve been posting about it, and I played the position MS plays, too, so I KNOW a few things about it, too. What I know about MS so far is that he has good days and bad days (more like good qtrs and bad qtrs), shows flashes of both brilliance and ineptitude, and so far isn’t performing close to a guy picked that high. I’ll give him this yr and that’s it. scjoe, I read it’s a #7 for Otah but as Ira points out, his durability is obviously an issue.

20. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

And since everybody seems to love Curtis Martin (he’s still my choice for a new Jets owner), here’s the bottom line of what he says about Sanchez: “There’s no way around it, it’s the big elephant in the room,” Martin said Monday of the potentially volatile quarterback situation. “It’s just a reality and the best man is going to win. If Mark isn’t having a good year, the crowd will be yelling for Tebow,” he continued. “If Tebow gets in there and does well, he’ll play.” Hey Brian, what part of that sounds like “slamming” to you? Martin goes on to say that MS hasn’t fulfilled his potential and that he hopes he does so this yr. So do I, and that’s not “slamming” either, it’s expecting this team to get major-league serious about drafting, grooming players, and winning. If all you want is a cheerleader, call Denise Garvey.

21. By Karan on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

Right On, Brian! Mark Sanchez is our QB! He’s had his ups and downs, but some of us will not forget his 4-2 road playoff record, his ability to step up when it counts the most and his 2 AFC title appearances. And by the way, he was not responsible for those losses. It’s OK though if people slam him, ’cause everyone has their own opinion, and we have to respect those opinions, even though if we don’t always agree with it. That being said, there are a lot of fans that really hate Mark Sanchez, but you know what? I hope that hate adds fuel to the fire for Sanchez. I believe he can get the job done, and if all he needs is a little push to do better, then I’m all for it, whether it’s the hate from some fans or even the acquisition of Tebow. Sanchez is motivated and he is out to prove something this year, that I have no doubt about.

22. By DKM on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

Oh boy Brian, another Jet Fan living in LALA Land, and trust me JFS 64 doesnt need me to defend him he will give it to you if he feels like, but you can ride the MS horse as long as you like if there is no results to show for then its time to move on and what do you mean with what he meant to UCLA he played there for 1 year and WON WHAT ?, after that his coach back then told him you not ready for the big Time. In the end it is about how many SBs you won not how many times you went to the AFC Championship game cause in the end even if go to 4 SBs and dont win, nobody remembers or talks about you, case and point J. Kelly.
    And that hasnt been that long ago.
    I just dont wanna end up 7 years from now MS being compared to Romo, that guy who just couldnt get over the HUMP.

23. By ron alexander on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

Brian, like you I am a Sanchez supporter,and i agree people are way to critical of him.However, I cant agree with your comments to TOM64 and SPICER which are shall we say a little out of line here! First and formost this site is for Jet fans who want to voice their opinions!This is Randy’s blog and he gets to decide what is appropriate or not!Secondly, Spicer and 64 are two of the very best contributors on this site and although I often disagree with them I enjoy reading their opinions as it provides great conversation. Hey, if you want to read “all is rosey in Jet” land” just go to their web-site and you can read how every member of our current roster is going to end up in Canton Ohio in the N.F.L Hall of Fame! Please understand, you have every right to get annoyed with peoples comments(believe me theres plenty that I do) but i’m not sure we wanna question these guys loyalty’s?, Go Jets!!!!!!

24. By Karan on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

And honestly, I hope Sanchez shuts critics like Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith up by his play. I can’t stand those guys, Stephen A is OK compared to Bayless, but lately he’s just been getting more and more annoying. I mean really, the Jet’s brought in Tebow because “the fix is in for Sanchez”?? Does that man hear himself talk? There’s a reason they’ve asked Tebow to beef himself up to 250. He will be running the ball a lot. Sanchez will be throwing the ball, they will complement each other. If anything, Tebow should motivate Sanchez, not be “fix” to him. I can understand these ESPN analysts always wanting to create a QB controversy since Tebow is such a polarizing figure, but to say the “fix is in” is plain old idiotic. And I credit Rex and the Jets for keeping this situation, I guess is what I’ll call it, under control and on the down-low. Enough with the “Tebow will start by week……” statements, ESPN and other doubting analysts, enough.

25. By Karan on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

And thank you, thank you, thank you Jets, for acquiring Jeff Otah. I hear he is a really solid tackle when healthy. It’s great competition for Hunter, who definitely needs it. I prefer to have Hunter as a back-up because he was really good at that position before he got the starting nod. Let’s see what happens, good luck to both guys, and hopefully Otah and the rest of these linemen will stay healthy. Personally, I’d rather have Otah start.

26. By DKM on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

Like it or not if there isnt any significant improvment this Season for Mark then its clearly time to move on cause after 4 years there is no more excuse. And the same for this FO and Coaching stuff. Nobody says win it all the way this coming Season but when you went 2 years in the row to AFC Championship games and 1 of them you should have won but you didnt then you put the Bar pretty high and you schould improve on it not making steps backwards thats what good solid Teams who are winners do.

27. By DKM on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

Sanchez played in USC not UCLA i schould have picked up on this right away that makes me as dum as the comment Brain posted my bat.

28. By Tim on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

I keep telling you guys (OFFENSE) always starts with (BLOCKING, BLOCKING, BLOCKING)!!! OL, RB’s, TE’s, WR’s everybody BLOCKING on EVERY play!!! You have to be able to (BLOCK), whether you are (RUNNING) or (PASSING) the BALL!

TONY SAPARNO has to get (EVERYBODY) on the OFFENSE to do their part and (BLOCK) EVERY play! You watch ANY OFFENSE play, and you will see that most OFFENSE plays were either SUCCESSFUL or FAILED, (USUALLY) because either a (BLOCK) or BLOCKS were MADE, or (NOT MADE)!!

I say the JETS (MOTTO) on OFFENSE should be, if you are on the OFFENSE and you do (NOT) have the (BALL) in your hand, and you are (NOT) the QB, then (YOU) had ***(BETTER)*** be (BLOCKING) somebody!!!

(THIS) should the MOTTO for the JETS OFFENSE! Everybody (BLOCKING, BLOCKING, BLOCKING)!!

29. By ron alexander on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

S.C.Joe, o.k, one problem potentially solved, only like 50 more to go. I agree this is a definate up-grade over Hunter as you and I have long campaigned for. Now I heard the same thing you heard, 7th rd pick mabey up to 5th rd if he starts and stays healthy.IRA, I dont think the injury to Davis is serious at all. From what I’m hearing its just a sleight pull in the hammy? Not sure,but if thats the case he should be good to go very soon. Landry is more of the same. They put him on the pup till he gets 100% clearence to go full speed. I saw him at the mini camp and he looked really good. Ira, yeah, C.Martin is no doubt an all-time Jet good guy, great player! He deserves every positive accolade he gets. I only wish we would have drafted him and he would have played every play of his career as a Jet. It was initially hard to get past him coming from the Pats!(kind of like Roger Clemmins as a Yankee! eeeeeeek!)

30. By GaryC on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

Brian, you were sounding good defending Mark until you said UCLA, we all know you meant USC.even jetfantom knows that,it is in his backyard.

31. By GaryC on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

to jetfantom, it seems the only moves the jets have made which he liked was bringing in the Headache Holmes,and the over the hill Plastico,oh I forget he also loved David Clowney. Boy, with that threesome there is nowhere to go but up.

32. By IRA on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

scjoe,
    This Otah deal was low risk. Nothing but upside either he wins the job or pushes Hunter to get better. Carey is still out there and there will be cuts as the summer goes along if either of these guys don’t fit the bill.
    To me one of the most interesting battles in camp will be Brown and Folk. Considering the Jets will be a low scoring team they will probably be kicking a lot of FG’s. This is one area were they cant afford to leave points on the field by missing FG’s. If it were up to me its Browns job to lose and i would be keeping a close eye on Novak in SD.

33. By kw65fan on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

Uh brian…I think you need to know a little more about the game. first off…mark went to USC…NOT UCLA. Yea…we are all jet fans for many years now…and all we are saying is that this is his fourth year…we are giving him that…BUT if he doesn’t make it and show us why he is a first round pick…it will be bye-bye. He has to show tremendous improvement…last year was a step back for him…especially mentally. enuf already…show us what you can do and be a leader. I personally is hoping he makes it…if not…not Tebow…but give the reigns to McElroy…

34. By SCfromNY on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

I have seen Sanchez play in college and he was pretty good with a FANTASTIC supporting class. I also thought he did a great job in 2010 with decent pocket presence and several come from behind victories. They could have easily went to the SB that year and they played the Packers well during the season so who knows. The problem is the steps back he took last year. They were tremendous! Elite QBs have bad years for various reasons but it is rarely due to a lack of composure which Sanchez lost last year. That is not a skill it is one of the intangibles that separate good from great. My gut feeling is Sanchez does not get better. I hope I am wrong. If he comes back i like our chances.

35. By scjoe on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

Brian, you are accusing Tom Spicer of “slamming” Mark Sanchez, who by the way attended Southern Cal, NOT UCLA? What have you been smoking? Also, you say you are a Jet fan and this site is for “Jet fans” only correct? Last time I checked, Tin Tebow (the guy who’s jersey you would never buy) is a NY Jet. Do a little more research next time you drop in.

36. By wayne on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

Rumors of Wayne Hunter’s demise have been greatly exaggerated……Could we wait to see if Otah can actually suit up before we go penciling him into the starting lineup?. If he was anything more than a shot in the dark, a hold your breath and hope p/u he would have cost the Jets more. The guy is always hurt.

37. By Arte Olde School Section 327 on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

Brian, what planet are you on? Or maybe you need to refill on your meds.. Sanchez played for USC you ninkumpoop.. or is it kninckemppe.. either way.. he played for one year against no kind of defense worth mentioning.. It was the Jet defense and running game that took us to back to back AFC championships and barely at that.. I like Mark until out of the blue he throws an inconceivable interception or fumbles it away for know reason – like we’re winning the game outright and he puts us in a hole.. He won some 4th quarter games because he redeemed himself (again against inferior teams).. He has no peripheral vision and without it you can not be a big league NFL QB.. he’s not tall enough to see the field OR throw the short touch pass.. At times he can do the impossible but it’s always too little too late.. This year he will have no excuses.. It’s put up or see ya.. GO JETS! Ground & Pound and Defense will take us far this year.. By December and playoff time we’ll be impossible to beat.. NE goes down.. GO JETS!!!!

38. By Arte Olde School Section 327 on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

But then again you must be like 6 years old or something.. I’m sorry to slam you BUT you’re in the big leagues now Brian my boy.. LEAVE MARK ALONE!! Are you kidding me?????????????? Maybe, just maybe with Shotty gone, Mark will be solid this year.. I give him that chance.. But like I said out of no where, just watch, he’ll disappoint you because he doesn’t have the touch nor sight to see the field.. McElroy is the best real quarterback on our team.. Tebow is unstoppable, too.. We should be fine this year.. No more pins and needles fourth quarter insanity based upon no more 17-0 halftime holes that Shotty’s lame offense put us into.. I say good riddance to Shotty!!!!!!!!!!!! I am SO HAPPY he’s gone.. Tony Soprano is the MAN. Just watch!! He’s the real head coach now.. We have to win the game based on a well-balanced disciplined team.. NOT LOSING and backing into the playoffs is for pretenders.. Am worried about NE this year but I still have hope for us.. Hope I’m not delusional like I’ve been too many years before.. LEAVE MARK ALONE!! Are you kidding me??? Just win Baby! Play like a J-J-J-J-J-E-T (let’s try playng like a winner for a change) GO JETS!!

39. By Tom Spicer on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

Brain, 1 I am the 1 Sanchez backer on this site you must have me mistaken for someone else. 2 Mark went to USC not UCLA 3 He did not win a title in college

40. By Tom Spicer on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

SCJoe, You rip into guys making posts about Landry meanwhile Otah missed 31 out of 35 possible games. If 1 is a bad pick up the other is as well

41. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

For anyone who still doubts it (like GaryC), more proof that we’re rebuilding: Despite our uncertainties at the position, we ignore Shiancoe, 1 of the most underrated TE’s in the league, and the Pats sign him. Sure, for them, ready to make another run at the SB, a 1-yr deal for him makes sense: Who’s gonna cover Gronk, Hernandez, and Shiancoe should all 3 take the field at once? Not our aging S Bell, not our still-PUP Landry, and not likely our 2 S rookies, at least not this yr. So once again I say let’s use the yr to find out who our starting QB is, see what Hill, Coples, and Davis can do as starters, decide which young vets (Greene, Wilson, and of course Ducasse) should move up or out, and stop dreaming of SB glory anytime soon. And let’s also show Rex the door, see if Sparano has potential as HC (and if not, move on from him in 2013), and consider showing that same door to Revis if the deal is right. Time to stop dreaming and start building for the future — and thinking.

42. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

Hey Randy, confidential to you and not necessarily for printing: Did you increase the character limit? I think my last post was the longest one I’ve ever been able to send. (Some might say that’s not a good thing!)

43. By Randy Lange on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

Tom, good question. We haven’t changed the comment character limit. It’s still at 750 characters. However, the counter function in our comment box apparently has been turned off. As a result, fans can type their comments into the box, keep going after 750 and still send the comment through, such as Arte Old School’s recent cogent observations. (And my apology to Ron Alexander for nitpicking him about the 750-character limit. His comments were the first I noticed coming in long.) Until we get the counter fixed, send in your comments around 750 characters (including spaces) and if it’s in the ballpark, it’ll be OK. But please, no 1,000-plus-character dissertations. Those are generally no fun to read or to review.

44. By Brian on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

Ron A you think this site is an exclusive club for you and your crony Mark haters and no one else is aloowed you could not be more WRONG this is for all Jet fans EVEN THE REAL ONES. Your insults and bad language will not stop us hear this loud and clear. This site is not your personal playground try not to forget THAT !!!!!!!

45. By IRA on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

Ron,
    I was in Foxboro for that 1st Tuna Bowl back in 97 and watched Curtis run for 199 yds on 40 carries in a bad OT loss after hall had a FG blocked with seconds left on the clock before the OT. Anyway i sat there and said to myself man wish we had a RB like him. Who knew a year later he would be in Green and White.
    Wayne,
    Ditto about Hunter and Otah.

46. By Karan on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

Arte Old School, you make a really good point and I agree with you on everything you’ve said so far except one thing: the 2 AFC title and pretty much the playoff run we have had so far in the Rex years. Yes, the Jets had an outstanding defense and a really good O-line at the time, but it sounds like you give the kid no credit when it came to the 4 victories. He stepped his game up a lot when it mattered the most, playoff time of course, he has the will to win,I believe, this guy is competitive, just needs a push. I mean if you look at Matt Ryan for example, he has had a solid team around him and they’ve done good in the regular season over the past couple of years. Looking at his stats, his O-line must be pretty good and the Falcons have had a solid D, not a Jets level D, but solid nonetheless. Still, Matt has had 0 playoff wins now entering his 5th season. Mark had 4 his first two years, he definietly was a big part of the victories just like the D and the O-line were too.

47. By ron alexander on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

BRIAN, wow! Dude, first of all, I just told you I am a Sanchez guy. Like you I believe he has the potential to get the job done. However, I dont believe in “blind loyalty” to anyone. This will be his 4th year. Its time for him to put up or he and Rex and Tannenbaum will probably be elsewhere. I have a lot of time, love and money(29 yr ticket holder) invested in this team. I want to win another championship in my life time.(sooner the better!)In case you havn’t noticed, you are getting slammed here by others on this site. What I said to you in my earlier post was intended to be constructive advice.If you are gonna take the time to offer insights on this blog it would be a good idea to be respectful of others and at least objectively consider their opinions as well.Secondly, i used NO Bad language here. i dont need it to make my point!

48. By scjoe on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

Tom Spicer, me “ripping” in to guys is a little strong wouldn’t you say? I think you know me long enough to know I don’t “rip” in to anyone who don’t do the same to me first. But, as for Otah? Like Ira says, it was a low risk move. If he is not healthy the most they can lose is a #7 as for the cap? I believe he is slightly over i mil, Sand I did mention in my 2nd post “IF” healthy, you know, like I did with Landry.So where is the down side?

49. By ron alexander on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

IRA, Geez, I remember when the Jets snagged Parcells from the Pats how much excitement that created. Listening to the FAN was all i did for like 2 days. I still cant believe we never won a championship out of all that hoopla! Sometimes I really feel like we are “snakebit!”But then the new season dawns and we all get excited.
    (except “Joe” and TOM64 who are convinced we will be a .500 team or worse this year.) I get frustrated when all I hear is what a lousey year Sanchez had last year inspite of the fact he had his best statistical year ever(comp%,t.d’s, yardage, ect) I know the turnovers were brutal, but so was the O.line! I just want to see what he can do with a improved line,new O.Coordinater, and some w.r’s who can get some seperation and get down field. Hey, like Iv’e said, if he stinks it up this year i’m o.k with movin on.

50. By GaryC on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

jetfantom, the jets have decided to change course and go younger and faster,why the doom and gloom,it is a helluva lot better than the fossil finds that they had been bringing in.You remind me of Jack Benny,with that perpetual aura of gloom that permeates your being.The next time Sanchez is out there in your neck of the woods seeing that you have quarterback experience,show him how to hit holmes in stride so he can get those yac yards.sorry we can’t bring in every guy who ever scored a touchdown in a super bowl,a lot of them will never make the hall of fame.

51. By IRA on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

Karan, Good job talking about how Sanchez stepped up in those playoff games. He did make those throws to Keller in SD, a real good throw to Edwards in a loss in Indy, taking them to the winning FG in Indy, maybe his best game as a pro in Foxboro and a great 2nd half in Pitt and i will always believe if he got the ball one more time he would’ve taken them in for the winning score. Lets see what he does this year its a big one for everybody.
    GO JETS!!!!

52. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

Thanks for the info on the length of the posts, Randy. Wow, Arte EXPLODES out of the gate with everything he’s been saying to me on the phone about Sanchez! Good for you, Arte, I credit you with making an issue out of MS’s inexplicable inability to put pts on the board in the 1st half for most of his career, which was the elephant in the room for, like, 2 yrs! GaryC, for the record I was big on all the following moves: Greene, Slauson, Holmes, Cro, McKnight, Kerley, McElroy, and our entire draft of last yr, just to name a few. And Sanchez, which was my mistake when I bought into Rex’s hype, which I’m happy to see not too many people even on this site buy into anymore. Yeah, Karan, NE will cut at least 1, maybe 2 of those TE’s and still have the best guys at that position in the league. Landry better get out onto that field fast!

53. By SCfromNY on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

Again, if Sanchez can progress from his 2010 form I would be OK. Last years regression was scary. He came apart in all components: confidence, leadership, presence in the pocket, ability to find receivers, and most of all composure. I can partly agree with the comparison to Matt Ryan. Yes he won more playoffs but Ryan’s nickname “Matty Ice” says it all and that is where Sanchez falls down. How many playoff wins do Rivers, Palmer, Vick, Cutler, Freeman, and Romo have recently??? But all of them show a confidence and field presence that Sanchez is sadly lacking. As for Rex Ryan, love him or hate him, but you could find probably 20 NFL coaches who would kill for his record. Try to recall various ex-Jet coaches. I will hope for this season.

54. By Jake on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

Sanchez was the starting QB in two consecutive AFC Championship games. You say we need to move on. I say move on to what? I will listen to any serious answer, besides Tebow, because that isn’t one. What do we move on to? by the time the Jets draft and groom a new QB, our defense will have passed it’s prime, Mangold and ‘Brick will be even older. If we draft a QB now, we will fall into about 5-7 years of mediocrity, I’m not willing to do that just yet. So the only viable anwer to me is Free Agency, or Greg McCelroy. If there is a O skill position to fill before replacing Sanchez, we have to look at RB first. I don’t believe in Green. Have you ever seen a guy lose his helmet more often after a two yard run?

55. By ron alexander on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

RANDY, no problem I kind of got carried away by man RSPIKES going hard at me for no reason. Actually, I took the high road after thinking about it and I’m more than satisfied I made my point! S.C NewYork, well stated my man! TOM64 is a seasoned Jet fan so I love his stuff, but he’s awful tough on “sexy Rexy! I agree with you when you say “look at his record”! I cant think of any one who has done more to change the losing “same ole Jets culture around here. Does he talk to much? Heck yeah! Does he build up certian players unrealistically? Oh yeah! But he also wants the same thing we all as Jet fans want, to win! Like Herm Edwards said, hello,,,you play to win the game!!! (I love that quote. It still cracks me up!

56. By Tom Spicer on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

Corrrection above I said Sanchez never won a title. That is wrong he won 1 as a redshirt freshmanat USC. The 1 year he started he only lost 1 game but they did not win the national title

57. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, I’ve long been on record as saying the Jets as a team and a franchise need a complete, top-to-bottom makeover. They need: An owner who cares about winning, not headlines; a GM who knows something about football; a HC who understands and aggressively coaches the whole game and can get the most out of young players; an elite QB (no elaboration needed there, every team that wants to win a SB does); stronger, faster RBs; bigger, faster WRs who pose a deep threat, not a 2-yd slant threat; a modern, physical, and especially faster D, with guys at S who can play with today’s WRs and TEs; hotter cheerleaders…I could go on and on. But that’ll give you enough to chew on while you read about how your unsung hero Otah failed his physical.

58. By 40 year fan on Jul 26, 2012 | Reply

Curtis Martin was the greatest running back the Jets ever had ….Watching him run was like watching a ferrari going up against a bunch of honda civics …How can the Hall of fame overlook Bill Parcells ? The selection process is blatently flawed ,…Bill Parcells changed football ..

59. By 40 year fan on Jul 26, 2012 | Reply

Danny – yes definite concerns on the offensive line , not only Hunter, but Vlad is also in the mix …..It is just frightening …But I have alot more faith in Sparano than I did Schotty ,.. he will fix it …

60. By GaryC on Jul 26, 2012 | Reply

jetfantom,otah failing the physical only shows the jets are doing their due diligence again,like Ainge,Ellis,etc.It doesn’t cost them the pick,they should of figured that out when he was going at such a low cost,right now the jets are throwing darts to see what sticks for their troubled right tackle spot.My idea about Slauson to right tackle might become an omen if ducasse can play guard.