• Thu., Sep. 18, 2014 2:30 PM - 3:15 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Thu., Sep. 18, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Thu., Sep. 18, 2014 10:00 PM - 10:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan

A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup

• Fri., Sep. 19, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Fri., Sep. 19, 2014 2:00 PM - 2:15 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Fri., Sep. 19, 2014 3:30 PM EDT Live Press Conferences: Coordinators Dennis Thurman, Marty Mornhinweg and Thomas McGaughey will address the media following practice.
  • Fri., Sep. 19, 2014 6:00 PM - 6:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Sat., Sep. 20, 2014 3:30 PM - 4:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Sat., Sep. 20, 2014 9:30 PM - 10:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan

A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup

• Mon., Sep. 22, 2014 11:30 PM - 11:59 PM EDT Jets Post Game: Bears at Jets Reactions and on-field interviews with Jets players immediately following every Jets game

WR: Schilens Also Rising, Kerley (Hamstring) Sidelined

Posted by Randy Lange on July 28, 2012 – 1:37 pm

Today’s first open practice of Jets training camp was a trying one for fans and team alike. The dark, low storm clouds rolled over the hills and dropped a bit of precip onto the fields here at SUNY Cortland.

“I’m not saying it was raining hard,” Rex Ryan said at his just-concluded news conference following practice, “but what’s the old saying? I saw animals pairing up out there.”

However, the Jets didn’t head indoors. They hung in there and worked out in the elements before 2,588 hardy, mostly green-clad fans.

“When the fans are out there, you want to perform,” said the Jets head coach. “In fact, with the conditions, we had some diehards out there, no doubt. I don’t know if I would’ve stayed out there as a fan, but these guys did and it’s awesome.”

And all things considered, the Jets looked good and showed enthusiasm for a second day.

Ryan talked up Mark Sanchez’s mostly tight, on-target spirals despite the wet footballs. My partner, Eric Allen will get into Mark’s morning a little more in depth in his latest “On the Inside” installment.

Rookie Stephen Hill again made a crowd-pleasing grab. This one he got free past Antonio Cromartie and caught a Tim Tebow long ball in stride for the score.

But Hill wasn’t alone in the impressive receivers category.

“Another guy who jumps out me is the way Chaz Schilens has looked,” Rex said. “Mike Westhoff’s not one to praise a lot but he came up to me and said, ‘Hey, that 85, he can really help me.’ Chaz is a physical guy and the best thing he does is when the pads come on — he’s one of the top blockers as a receiver in the NFL, kind of like what Braylon Edwards did for us. And he’s done a nice job catching the football. He made some deep catches and he’s a big target that runs fast. Those are all positives.”

Schilens knows there’s one thing he’s got to overcome, and it’s not the Mohawk that’s starting to grow out. He was asked today if he feels he has something to prove regarding his injury history.

“Yeah, yeah I do,” he said. “This is a fresh start for me. They believe in me, I like being here. And I do have something to prove. … I’m just working out hard, getting rehab when I need it, and just taking care of my body. It’s football, it’s kind of part of the game, but I know on Sunday I’ll be fine, I won’t have to worry about anything. I’ll be good.”

He’ll have to be good in a wideout rotation that includes the impressive rookie, Hill, but he’s been known as a team player from his time in Oakland and he sounds like a player who can line up wherever he’s needed.

“I think I can fit in a couple of different places. Honestly, I’ll just make plays and then wait and see how it plays out in the end,” he said. “Stephen’s going to be playing a lot, Jeremy [Kerley]‘s going to be playing a lot, Patrick Turner, Santonio has his position. We all have something to offer. I think at the end of the day, no matter what, it’s going to be something good.

Latest to Pull a Hamstring: Kerley

Speaking of Kerley, Ryan is excited for his second-year slot man and punt returner but with a few caveats. For one thing, Kerley pulled a hamstring Friday and was sidelined today.

“I don’t think it’s a major one, probably a week,” the coach said. “But Jeremy needs to step it up because, quite honestly, I was disappointed in Jeremy in the offseason. He’s got to pick up this system, this new system. You’ve got to put the time in it. And Jeremy’s one of the hardest working guys I’ve seen. … I know the want-to’s there. We’ve got to dial in and make sure the mental part of it’s there.”

If JK misses any extended time, Ryan said Santonio Holmes “clearly can be the slot receiver. You can put Tone anywhere. … But clearly we want Jeremy to be that guy. He did a good job for us last year as the slot receiver, and he’s got the makeup of a good slot receiver, a guy who’s tough, can catch the football, and obviously has an unusual change of direction.”

Two More to Catch Rex’s Eye

Ryan touted two more plays who continue to stand out, one we heard a lot from last year and one who could make things more interesting yet on the offensive line.

“You look at Aaron Maybin today, he really flashed,” Rex said. “I was kidding [OLBs coach] Mike Smith that we had 83 plays [Friday] and Aaron was in there for three of them. I think we need to get him more involved. Today we saw some of the things he can do and that we’ve seen him do.

“And Caleb Schlauderaff looked good out there. … When we picked him up last year we wanted a guy who could play guard and play center. He’s been impressive these first two days.”

Rex Cetera

Ryan said he’s “not real sure” when rookie LB Demario Davis (hamstring) will return to action “but they say he’s progressing well and I know he’s itching to go.” Davis was one of the first Jets out this morning, running laps around the Cortland Stadium turf field at 7:30 a.m. He still has to pass his conditioning test, which he was doing well at on Wednesday before popping his hamstring, before he can be activated from PUP.

Still nothing new on T Jeff Otah, the trade pickup from Carolina who is also on PUP. … Schilens’ roommate, you may have heard, is Tebow. What is Tim T’s biggest flaw as a roomie? “I couldn’t tell you — it’s only the second day,” Chaz laughed. “He’s very prepared, though. He brought a couple of pillows, a nice blanket, he has a nice TV in there, plenty of food. He’s very nice and very sharing. … He’s a cool guy to be around.”

Celebrity sideline sighting: Doug Marrone, the head coach from nearby Syracuse and the Jets’ former OL coach. Rich Cimini of ESPN.com tweeted a reminder that one of Marrone’s accomplishments with the Green & White was the development of Brandon Moore from an undrafted D-lineman into the stalwart and now Pro Bowl guard that he is today.

Tags: , ,

43 Responses to “WR: Schilens Also Rising, Kerley (Hamstring) Sidelined”

1. By carweezy f on Jul 28, 2012 | Reply

Im excited about Caleb Schlauderaff. In 09 and 10 when Ground and Pound was at its finest, we had Rob Turner who could play all across the O-Line and also in the Heavy package as a extra TE. If we can use Caleb like this G&P will be back in full force!!

2. By wayne on Jul 28, 2012 | Reply

Typical Jets “FANS”; overreacting to every little play first days of training camp….Don’t you know it is in your teams best interest that Tim Tebow does well? For one thing your starting QB has not shown the desired drive to push himself to greatness…..I know, I know, it’s only his fourth year…..And Otah is going to replace Hunter………Here’s the thing though, LIONHEART isn’t thinned skinned like GQ. Doesn’t need to be coddled and reassured every step of the way by “fan”……GQ has always looked good in pictures. Let’s wait till defenses are puttin’ on the press, then we’ll see what’s what……….This defense will keep games within reach so,…………Until then, LIONHEART!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. By scjoe on Jul 28, 2012 | Reply

I love Kerley in the slot, but if he is having that much difficulty learning the system it wouldn’t be such a bad thing to see Holmes in the slot and Hill and Schilens out side. That could be dynamic (providing all the intangibles fall in to place) Still believe that if you take the offensive scheme that has been broadcast the past few months seriously, the element that is missing (besides certain parts of the O line) would be the lack of a prototypical TE.

4. By IRA on Jul 28, 2012 | Reply

Wow some rain today. Yes Kerley needs to get healthy and get on the field. I expect a big year from him. Hill is going to be a player for sure. A lot of raw athletic ability and great hands. If Schilens can stay healthy their WR group is just fine and they will have enough players for sanchez to throw to.
    Hope Davis heals fast. He is missing a lot of valuable reps now.
    Rex is so right about Maybin. I thought I saw him get at least 2 would’ve been sacks if they were playing for real.
    GO JETS!!!!

5. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 28, 2012 | Reply

Like with McKnight 2 yrs ago, Rex is phenomenally reckless and foolish to talk publicly about how fast or slow Kerley’s picking up the new system. Once the reporters’ mikes are shoved into his face, he loses all sense of what he should say for the team and takes his little two minutes in the spotlight just to sound like a HC, which he’ll never be. And of course, once again he plays favorites, i.e. I don’t hear him talking about Tebow’s pathetic throws. And what is Kerley supposed to say to the press, no, I’m learning it fine, it’s Rex who doesn’t understand it? The day Rex goes back to coaching at some two-bit college can’t come fast enough for me. I loved reading Cimini’s remark yesterday that Sparano seems like the HC in practice.

6. By ron alexander on Jul 28, 2012 | Reply

Nice to see Schilens getting some love. I have noticed this player has gone relativley under the radar to date. I have seen Schilens play a few times and was impressed by his size and athletism. I really hope he can stay healthy because he and Hill on the outside could be scary. On the other hand, whats up with all these hammy injuries? Sounds to like we need to do more stretching before we get into full out practicing? On the other hand,hearing Kerley is not up to speed with the playbook is more than a little disconcerting . With the new limit on practicing its gonna be awful tough to catch up when a player comes off injury. As Sparano is reputed to be such a stickler for detail I’m surprised to read Kerley is behind?

7. By scjoe on Jul 28, 2012 | Reply

Ron, great point about the limited reps under the new CBA and team injuries, especially those hammies, I have had my share of them, they linger and linger. one of the problems that the limited practice time brings along with it is the fact a good prospect could get caught up in the limited practice arena due to nagging injuries then released, only to excel somewhere else. I hope the FO is careful about that.

8. By Tom Spicer on Jul 28, 2012 | Reply

Wayne, Let me know when lionheart learns how to throw.

9. By RickieNewYork on Jul 28, 2012 | Reply

WHAT ON EARTH?!!! I’m down in Florida – and it’s all over down here that the Jets have reached out to Pitt about a possable trade for Mike Wallace. Personally I think it is just because of his connection to ‘Tone’ & the fact we traded for him to Pitt. Difference is – Holmes was facing a suspension that decreased his value, not to mention Wallace is seeking a huge deal that NY can’t afford. Sure – it’d be great – Holmes and Wallace & hill, & Keller ( WHO DESERVES A NEW DEAL! ) – but it is COMPLETELY unrealistic if u ask me. I wanted to be the first to address this intriqueing, mouthwatering , and COMPLETELY FALSE RUMOR. Fact is you cant have everything – sad but true.

10. By GaryC on Jul 28, 2012 | Reply

finally a caleb schladeraff sighting, about time.still looking to see and hear how ryan steed and brett roy are doing.Maybe Ira can watch these two or maybe rex when reading the posters can clue us in.

11. By GaryC on Jul 28, 2012 | Reply

Jetfantom, on the kerley issue,I believe rex has to lay down the law on some of these players about getting their act together and maybe work a little harder,especially a young player who might be resting on his laurels,but rex needs also to drop the hammer on everyone who isn’t putting out after last year,including his veteran favorites,like holmes and scott also.

12. By steven on Jul 28, 2012 | Reply

I’m betting on Hayden Smith. He is going to surprise everyone.

13. By Tom Spicer on Jul 28, 2012 | Reply

Sanchez had 32 total TDS last year good for 5th in the NFL even thou he was the 5th most sacked QB, had no deep threat & had the worst right tackle in the NFL. In playoff games he is the 6th highest rated QB of all time so he steps up in the big game. With the right guys around him he can be a great NFL QB.

14. By Tom Spicer on Jul 28, 2012 | Reply

Either Otah or Slauson will be the starting right tackle this year mark that down. I think the Jets have finally seen the light on Hunter

15. By talkingspectator on Jul 29, 2012 | Reply

This blog is refreshing. As compared to others, it seems to have more info, less snipe. After 35 years as a die-hard Broncos fan I have said goodbye. Not interested in Elway’s vanity project. It’s fun to be learning more about the Jets. With the addition of Hill and Schilens, maybe the Jets can spread the defenses thinner this year.

Ward, I like GQ and he seemed pretty clutch in his first 2 seasons. So I hope he’s successful. But it’s nice to hear some love for Lionheart. He is a great disequilibrium and will almost surely do things to put the Jets closer to the SB.

16. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 29, 2012 | Reply

It took Rex three years to realize that he should bother to learn HIS OWN offense, ron a, so I’ll happily give Kerley more than three weeks to learn Sparano’s. This is what’s so dumb about Rex talking that way publicly, it plays into the hysteria over every little thing that wayne mentions above.

17. By RebelJonny on Jul 29, 2012 | Reply

Interesting when Rex said about Holmes, “Nobody likes him.” It’s debatable if he’s referring to the overall media, the fans, or… worse… the players in the locker room.

The press didn’t jump on it, but when asked about the comment, he didn’t back away by saying he was only joking which he does a lot.

Maybe this is a final wake up call to Mr. Holmes that he really needs to address his ego, arrogance, and the fact that he is NOT a coach. Nor is he the leader of this team.

Some here think Rex is a loose cannon, but I think he’s learning how to use the media better to get some players feet in the fire.

18. By Bennett on Jul 29, 2012 | Reply

Sanchez is 2nd in the entire NFL in turnovers in his 3 years. He lead an offense that had a 50 million dollar WR a 6’5″ monster target on the other side a hall of fame back with very good hands and an excellant tight end to a fantastic 33% 3rd down conversion rate last season. He really stepped up at the end of the season and had a nice 11 turnovers in the last 3 games all most win and all loses incld throwing 2 interceptions to lineman in the last wonderfull game. In spite of all this he still managed, as Captain, to preside over the disintergration of the team chemistry and was no longer talking to his #1 reciever by seasons end. The offensive line a great defense and an excellant head coach were able to overcome and win his first 2 year

19. By scjoe on Jul 29, 2012 | Reply

Tom Spicer, you keep saying that Sanchez had no “deep threat” last season (although some may make the argument both Holmes and Kerley are deep threats) tell me, who was Tom Brady’s “deep threat”? Where is it written that you absolutely need a “deep threat” to run a successful offense? Who was Drew Brees “deep threat” he ran a pretty successful offense. How about Rodgers? How would you compare all of their “deep threats” to Holmes or Kerley?

20. By scjoe on Jul 29, 2012 | Reply

One more note to above post. Last season many here blamed Sanchez failures on 1- The OC, 2- The O line 3- Lack of a deep threat. WELL, he now has a new OC, two deep threats in Hill and Schliens (not to mention Holmes) and a much healthier O line. Do we expect to see a borderline “elite” QB now that all of those pieces that were not in place last season ARE in place this season? Stay tuned!

21. By ron alexander on Jul 29, 2012 | Reply

jOHNNYREB,excellent point about Rex useing the media to make his point. Obviously thats exactly what he was doing with Kerley. Its an old Parcells trick to get their attention.S.C.Joe, yeah, thats exactly where I was going with that. I could see a guy like Ganaway, or one of the young corners or safty’s getting lost in the schuffle due to a minor injury that limited their reps.SPICER, I’m with you my man, but we are never gonna change anyones mind here. M.S is gonna have to do it on the field! As much as I disagree with 64 and the haters, i do understand where their coming from.Markies gotta step it up now!

22. By Doug on Jul 29, 2012 | Reply

Welcome to our place talkingspectator.
    It never did seem like Elway ever did like Tebow.

23. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 29, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, I just think HC’s talking about players’ deficiencies in the press in any but the most circumspect way is always a mistake and none of the great HC’s have ever done it. ron a, though I admit Tom ’64 and the Haters might’ve made a good name for a band back in my rock ‘n’ rolling days, I think the haters are the people who are so afraid of being criticized for alleged disloyalty that they’ll tolerate endless mediocrity from the New York Jets. That’s just not me.

24. By Bennett on Jul 29, 2012 | Reply

Sanchez had 32 TD’s last season good for 5th and what was his win loss record with that astounding earth shattering feat? If he don’t win more than he lose “rally don mount to the ole fashioned hill a beans….now do it?” I thimk we should give Plax just a little tiny, itty, bitty ( really tiny now you hear) bit of credit… seam to remember some really good.. some might say very good circus like, acrobatic grabs by Plax for scores only really possible with his “length” on some very badly thrown balls. Guess after this season some one will be able to say TOLE YOU SOOOO MANNNNN !!!… Wonder who ?

25. By Tom Spicer on Jul 29, 2012 | Reply

SCJoe, Please tell me you are not serious with that question? Pats Gronk 1,327 yards & 17 TDS the best season ever for a TE in the history of the NFL. Who constantly went deep over the middle & dominated everything in his path. Hernandez 90 yards & 7 TDS pro bowl numbers from there 2nd TE. Welker 1,569 yards, 9 TDS & lead the NFL in catches by a wide margin a top 10 WR in the NFL. Pack Jennings a top 5 WR in the entire NFL hands down. I challenge you to name a WR besides Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald & Andre Johnson that are better than him. Last year he was hurt the year before that he had 1,265 yards 12 TDS & averaged 17 yards a catch if that is not a deep threat please tell me what is. Nelson 1263 yards 15 TDS & 19 yards a catch deep

26. By Tom Spicer on Jul 29, 2012 | Reply

threat anyone. James Jones, Donald Driver & Jermicheal Finely the #3 TE in the NFL yes I think it is safe to say there is no comparsion. Saints Colston missed 2 games still had 1143 yards 8 TDS & a 14 yard average. Jimmy Graham the 2nd best TE in the NFL 1,310 yards & 11 TDS & a 14 yard average. Meacheam who the Chargers signed to replace Vincent Jackson as Rivers #1 WR who averaged 14 yards a catch. I know Mark is not in close to being in the same class as the guys you mentioned but 2 things 1 maybe 2 other guys in the world are & 2 you can not compare the weapons those 3 guys have to the weapons on the Jets cause it is not even close there #2’s are better than our number #1.

27. By Tom Spicer on Jul 29, 2012 | Reply

SCJoe, In regards to the 3 things above1 the Jets had a chane to hire a proven OC they went with Sparano just cause he is new doesnt mean he is better ( thou it ill be very hard to be worse) he still has to prove it 2 Hill & Scheilnes depp threats? I am as high on Hill as anyone on this site but until he & Scheilnes prove it on the field they are nobodys 3 Until Hunter is replaced the O line is not good.

28. By Tom Spicer on Jul 29, 2012 | Reply

If Plax was so good why is he not on a NFL team right now? If Plax was so good why has he not even had 1 tryout with a NFL team? If Plax was so good why does every NFL voice say he was only good in the red zone cause of his height where he would go against guys he had 6 to 10 inches on. Why did NFL guys say he was useless between the 20’s. I have to believe it is cause he is no longer good. Wouldnt you agree? p.s. he had 2 good grabs 1 in the Bills game & 1 in the Eagles game aside from that what you consider “circus catches” were balls that were thrown high cause he was 6’6 going against a 5 ’10 DB they were put in a spot where only he could get them or no one could. Do you get it?

29. By 36yrsofsuffering on Jul 29, 2012 | Reply

how come we dont give turner a better shot

30. By Tom Spicer on Jul 29, 2012 | Reply

That $50 MIL WR that you mention every agrees is a club house cancer. That 6’5 monster you mention the local paper says he runs like he has a piano on his back & that monster can not get a NFL tryout let alone a NFL job. That hall of fame RB you mention was a shell of himself when we got him thats why he is not on the team anymore & had to retire cause no one else wanted him. Now on to Mark you were talking about wins lets talk about them. The #1 high school player in the nation coming into college. Lost 1 game in college the year he started 1. Has 32 wins as a NFL QB in 3 years that is a average of over 10 per year. Has 4 playoff road wins. Has won playoff games on the road vs Brady, Peyton, Rivers & Palmer. He is the 6th rated QB for the

31. By Tom Spicer on Jul 29, 2012 | Reply

playoffs in the history of the NFL. To translate that it means he plays his best in the biggest games. You want to talk about wins well all the kid does is win.

32. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 30, 2012 | Reply

I like a lot of your pts today, Spicer, especially about WRs and TEs. But your Sanchez favoritism throws you off course once again. It doesn’t matter how well MS HAS played in big games if he’s not ever GOING TO play well enough to GET US INTO big games. In this sense, you’re taking a page from the book of Arte who, only a few days ago, started telling me we’re going to sweep NE this yr because…MS will blossom into an elite QB? Tebow will take the job from him and become a genuine NFL QB? No, because…we beat NE in the playoffs in 2010! I tried to tell him neither team is remotely the same and that while NE’s gotten better we’ve gotten worse, but that Jet irrational exuberance is almost like some kinda religion…

33. By scjoe on Jul 30, 2012 | Reply

Spicer, PLEASE, tell me you are not suggesting to me that Gronkowski the TE is your “deep threat” was that a typo or were you serious? Maybe to clarify this you need to define “deep threat” For me, it is one who has elite speed somewhere below 4.4. Hill and Schliens regardless of their experience ARE legitimate “deep threats” Gronkowski on the other hand, no matter how well he produced last season is NOT a deep threat, not at 4.6 (or somewhere in that neighborhood) Further, do you think that the guy who was throwing to Gronkowski had anything at all to do with his success? Do you think Gronk would have had 1300+ with the Jets?

34. By scjoe on Jul 30, 2012 | Reply

Spicer, it sounds to me that you believe NE has the best receiving core in the NFL. You mention Gronk, Welker, Hernandez and ALL of those yards and TDs they complied. So, once again, do you think that just maybe, it is the QB who is responsible for much of that success? Point..You talk about Holmes and his 50 mil contract and the “cancer” that he is. Well, I couldn’t agree more, BUT, that doesn’t make him any less of a “deep threat” Let’s put that right out there. And the 6’5″ monster? I was never a huge fan of his either. But he still was a “big” target for “any” QB

35. By scjoe on Jul 30, 2012 | Reply

Tom Spicer, it is time you see the forest through the trees! You say, re: Mark Sanchez, “All the kid does is win” WOW!!! That would be funny if it weren’t so sad.Exactly what has he won? What was the NY Jets record last season? Did they make the playoffs? I will give you the fact that there were other issues with the team, will you give me the fact that Sanchez was a big part of those issues? I would bet no!

36. By GaryC on Jul 30, 2012 | Reply

Jetfantom, are you Carnack,you know for sure that Sanchez will not get us to the super bowl,but Fig Newton will be up there with Brady no doubt,Listen to the sports talk people,they kind of go against your thinking that Newton had no talent around him and then you will come back to me and say about their terrible record,then I will come back to you and say that is why Newton amassed so many passing yards,because he was always coming from behind,you cannot live off of stats if it is to make a player you like better.you need to watch the whole game and not snippets and not to be brainwashed by Newton idolizers.

37. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 30, 2012 | Reply

I don’t know anything for sure about the future, GaryC. I just know anyone who can’t see the difference in raw talent on every level between Newton and Sanchez is blind. Nice one, scjoe, on deep threats and stuff. It always amazes me to see that curious strain of Jet fan thinking that tries to deny that there’s a difference between, say, Brady and Sanchez…kind of the big-time version of denying the difference between Newton and Sanchez…

38. By ron alexander on Jul 30, 2012 | Reply

In reading SPICER &64 it appears there is one thing they do agree on, “the roster”!Its interesting how we all point out the various short commings on our team and yet the person responcable for assembling this group of players(Tannenbaum) gets a free pass? How is it I rarely hear anyone other than 64 and S.CJoe mention this?Hey, we have a few very good players on this team,but the overall talent is not championship calaber!As prevously mentioned, R.T,safty,T.E.&O.L depth are non existent.The past few drafts are lacking star quality to say the least.

39. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 30, 2012 | Reply

Welcome to the non-denial world of Jet fandom, ron a. The one in which you’re allowed to admit we have an owner who’ll go to Israel to support Romney but won’t go across the hall to the GM’s office to support a championship-caliber roster. (Nothing for or against Woody’s preference for president, I’m a lot more interested in his preference for a starting QB.) I keep saying we haven’t drafted that well for yrs, but at least we finally got rid of Clinkscales. I also keep saying that Rex isn’t very good at developing young players, especially on O, but we’re a few months at least away from getting rid of him. But yeah, when you’d rather screw around Cro at WR and Tebow on the zamboni, you’re not really running a very pro NFL operation.

40. By GaryC on Jul 30, 2012 | Reply

jetfantom, you are saying that newton has the same raw talent as Jeff George,Ryan Leaf,jamarcus russell,RAW TALENT,THE KIND OF TALENT THAT HASN’T SEEN THE PRESSURE COOKER.

41. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 30, 2012 | Reply

Now you’re just being ridiculous, GaryC, those other guys you mention never played one quarter as good as Newton’s worst. I’m starting to wonder what this pathological need to insist that Sanchez is better than Newton is all about. One thing I know it’s not is smart.

42. By GaryC on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

JetFanTom, many quarterbacks with less talent then sanchez won super bowls and guys with more talent then Newton never came close.Like the kid said in a Bronx Tale,nothing worse then wasted talent,give Newton some time to prove his hall of fame stature in your eyes.

43. By scjoe on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, “MANY” QBs? I would bet that out of the 45 or so SBs you could count on one hand the number of QBs who were not very good to elite.