• Wed., Sep. 17, 2014 10:30 AM - 11:00 AM EDT Live Jets Talk LIVE Chad Pennington and ESPN Chicago’s Jeff Dickerson will join us on Jets Talk LIVE. Dickerson to talk Bears alongide reporters Eric Allen and Amanda Pflugrad. Fans call in at 855-909-5483 or tweet your questions to @eallenjets.
  • Wed., Sep. 17, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM EDT Jets Extra Point Analysis of the previous week’s game and exclusive interivews with Jets players and coaches
  • Wed., Sep. 17, 2014 5:20 PM - 5:35 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Thu., Sep. 18, 2014 2:30 PM - 3:15 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Thu., Sep. 18, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Thu., Sep. 18, 2014 10:00 PM - 10:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan

A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup

• Fri., Sep. 19, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Fri., Sep. 19, 2014 2:00 PM - 2:15 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Fri., Sep. 19, 2014 3:30 PM EDT Live Press Conferences: Coordinators Dennis Thurman, Marty Mornhinweg and Thomas McGaughey will address the media following practice.
  • Fri., Sep. 19, 2014 6:00 PM - 6:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup

Allen Spurs the Defense with a Pair of Picks

Posted by Randy Lange on July 29, 2012 – 12:14 pm

Updated, 3:04 p.m. ET

The “Spur” position at South Carolina is a lot different than what Antonio Allen is now doing on the pro level with the Jets. Nevertheless, the rookie safety showed a lot of giddyup during today’s first full-pads practice of training camp at SUNY Cortland

“Confidence is big, but you can’t get big-headed,” Allen told newyorkjets.com after he came up with a pair of interceptions in this morning’s drills. “I’ve always had a ton of confidence. I just come out here every day to get better and improve on things I need to work on.”

Allen’s first theft was against undrafted free agent QB Matt Simms in 7-on-7’s, when he played his technique nicely against the TE and read Simms’ eyes all the way. His second was in team drills on Greg McElroy, when he “sliced” the wideout’s route in man coverage.

Interestingly, AA said he’s learning from all members of the Jets secondary, not just the safeties, as he continues his higher education.

“I watch Smitty and YB [Yeremiah Bell], and I watch Revis a lot. He’s a corner, but I watch him and how he breaks on the ball  and keeps his eyes on his man. He and Cro, they’re very good at what they do and I just try to adjust my technique to some of the things they do.”

Even before the picks, Allen produced a few big hits.

“I always enjoy the first day of pads,” he said of his first full contact as a pro. “I wasn’t really scared because I love to hit all the time. On special teams drills, I think that set me off. As soon as I got in, I got a big hit, and from there it just proceeded to progress.”

Afterwards, Allen conferred with secondary coach Dennis Thurman, who famously led a Cowboys band known as “Thurman’s Thieves.”

“He was just telling me he’ll be more impressed when I get in there with the ones and do what I did today, Allen said. He’s on his way to earning a few reps with the first unit.

Revis Sidelined

No. 24 wasn’t on the field for this practice but the team announced that the cause of Darrelle Revis’ absence was anatomical, not contractual.

“Darrelle had tightness in his hamstring last night,” media relations director Bruce Speight told reporters during the session. “The trainers cleared him to do individual drills but not 7-on-7 or team drills.”

“He’s had some hamstring issues in previous training camps,” Rex Ryan said at his midday news conference. “This is a minor thing. He thinks he’ll be out there tomorrow. But anytime you get that situation with any player, you hit the brakes and say, ‘Whoa, let’s not do something foolish.’ “

Rex Cetera

Ryan said that including the 9-on-7’s that led into team drills, the offense ran the ball 22 straight times. “We talk about we need to establish the running game and have our opponents understand we’re a running team,” the coach said. “We will run the football, but 22 straight? I don’t think even I envisioned that much.”

Rex touted a pair of three-hundred-forty-somethings that stood out today: NT Damon Harrison (6’4″, 350) and T Austin Howard (6’7″, 333). On Harrison: “It was his kind of day, a running day. He looked pretty good.” And on Howard: “He was really moving some people off the line.”

RB Bilal Powell had several crowd-pleasing plays on a few runs and at least one short swing pass. … Joe McKnight also slashed off the right side for a 20-yarder that drew applause. … Recently signed WR Raymond Webber, the second-year man who wears No. 1, tipped a McElroy pass in the air, then caught it to walk into the end zone on a long scoring play.

Antonio Cromartie had a nice leaping breakup of a ball headed for WR Chaz Schilens down the right sideline. … CB Kyle Wilson followed that up on the next play with a breakup of a Mark Sanchez pass on a shorter out on the opposite sideline. …T.J. Conley continues to nail some impressive punts with decent hang and great direction.

FB/TE Josh Baker broke his nose and so wore the red hands-off jersey usually reserved for QBs for the second half of practice. As a result, rookie RB Terrance Ganaway got some reps in Baker’s FB role. … Attendance for today’s practice: 2,835.

Tags: , , , , , ,

25 Responses to “Allen Spurs the Defense with a Pair of Picks”

1. By scjoe on Jul 29, 2012 | Reply

Interesting article by Lupica in today’s NY Daily News about Super Bowls and “elite” QBs. Here is a quote from that story
    “The NFL has done everything it can to make this a passer league, a quarterback league, to protect quarterbacks and make their jobs easier. So the days when Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson could win the Super Bowl are gone. Star quarterbacks win the Super Bowl now. The best five quarterbacks in the league win the Super Bowl now.” Kind of what I (along with some others) have been saying for the past three years.

2. By since shea on Jul 29, 2012 | Reply

Antonio Allen would be some great insurance against the achilles of Landry. As for Revis riding the stationery bike, not to worry folks. He is a team player. His hamstring gets cured with another $16 million per year contract.

3. By since shea on Jul 29, 2012 | Reply

Reports are that Coples is going against Hunter on the line. Now that is something to follow. Its still early but we are not hearing much about Coples dominating nor are we hearing from the Kool-aid crew about how Hunter is doing so well that he will have a good year. However, its a great exercise for both players to acquire some confidence and get good. Go Sanchez! Go Jets! Lets shut the mouths of all of our critics.

4. By SCfromNY on Jul 29, 2012 | Reply

This is probably some of the best news. Safety has become a much in demand position. A quick look at teams that have either locked in or franchised safeies tells it all. I hope both drafted safeties can become an important part of the team.

After all Tebow can’t play safety.

5. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 29, 2012 | Reply

And Lupica’s a pretty behind-the-curve guy in my experience, scjoe — try reading his utterly clueless articles about politics, for example — so if even HE gets it on elite QBs…

6. By danny on Jul 29, 2012 | Reply

Nice to hear Allen is impressing. We need one of these young safetys to step up for us and become a solid safety. I know tom64 is excited about Allen too

7. By PaulN on Jul 29, 2012 | Reply

Are you sure he can’t play safety? We know: A) His mechanics are terrible B) He panics at the first sign of pressure and holds onto the football too long C) He can catch the football D) He reportedly has the intelligence D) He is an athlete that is not afraid to hit or be hit. He has the size and speed, might be interesting to see if he could run a DEFENSE??? Just a thought lol

8. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 30, 2012 | Reply

From a great piece by Myers on the folly of any 2-QB system: “I know the history of this league. You always say if you have 2 QBs, you have no QBs,” Ryan said. “Tell that to the 49ers when they had Steve Young and Joe Montana. I think they won a few games; I am not really sure.” After pointing out how NOT analogous the 2 situations and other previous 2-QB schemes are, Myers continues: “I want to make sure everybody understands that I was not comparing Sanchez and Tebow to Montana and Young,” Ryan said. “I’ll be criticized for it, I’m sure, but it seemed to work there.” Simply put, if this wasn’t the Jets’ HC talking, writers would say this guy isn’t qualified to coach the O on one of the better high school teams in the San Fernando Valley.

9. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 30, 2012 | Reply

Thanks for citing what I’ve said about Allen, danny, it gives me the chance to address folks who call me a “hater” and to talk about what real optimism and pessimism are. I don’t think we’re getting anywhere close to the SB this yr, but I do think the S situation is looking better. Is this optimism or pessimism? I call it realism. Landry’s looking like he may not play a full season this yr if at all and Bell is a classic Jet stopgap move, like getting Ty Law back in Lowery’s rookie yr at CB. But Bush and Allen are the type of guys we shoulda drafted much earlier and I see them as good candidates to solve our S problem over the next few yrs. So sorry to you folks who think irrational exuberance is the only proper response of a true Jet fan.

10. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 30, 2012 | Reply

The new OC, apparently encouraged by the clueless HC, takes a big step backward with this, the ultimate silliness: “Tony Sparano has more than the “Tebow Package” in mind to jump-start an offense that looked lost for the better part of last season. The new offensive coordinator plans to build a select set of plays for cornerback Antonio Cromartie at wide receiver.” Honestly, this team will do anything to improve the offense except get serious about a QB who can throw well consistently and accurately — and find a backup C and a starting RT.

11. By Karan on Jul 30, 2012 | Reply

2 questions Randy: There’s still no way of getting Braylon Edwards is there? I heard he is working out for Miami and Seattle. In an article, I’ve read the Jets still might need a veteran to compliment Holmes, the young guns are good, but still raw. I think a month back, it was official that the Jets would not be getting Edwards, so I was just wondering if that is entirely true. Second, I’ve read If Jeff Otah fails his physical tomorrow, the trade will be voided. I think the guy is doing his best to stay on the team, but even he has stated that he is not sure he can pass it by Tuesday. I don’t think enough time was given, only a week. Anyways, my other question is if he does fail the physical, then there is absolutely no other way we……

12. By Karan on Jul 30, 2012 | Reply

……can find a way to keep him on the roster? He seems like a heck of a talent and we really do need him. Him passing his physical is the only way to keep him on the roster? Surely, there has to be a loophole.

13. By Dan H on Jul 30, 2012 | Reply

I was at the practice yesterday and Allan really stood out. He has a great break on the ball. My son and I were in the end zone when Webber tipped the ball up and made the catch for a TD. It was a solid play by him. Lots of good excitement at yesterday’s camp. Tebow stayed behind with Sparano for at least 20 minutes after everyone else had left the field to work on his throwing mechanics. First he tossed about 30 balls into a net and then heaved another dozen long. Sanchez looked solid.

14. By GaryC on Jul 30, 2012 | Reply

jetfantom, c’mon man, you know they traded montana the minute they knew Young to take over as number one,so them having two no.1’s was not in the eyes of the niners until young proved,remember him getting the monkey off his back,sounds like a guy who had a lot of proven to do,not a typical number 1

15. By ron alexander on Jul 30, 2012 | Reply

S.CJoe, Dude, your quoting Lupica?Come on man,you can do better than that.Like I keep saying to you and 64, we are stuck with him this year,no matter what.Why not just go with it and hope he surprises us all and makes like Eli in his 4th year?64, sorry if i offended you earlier, i have too much respect for you to do that.We disagree on M.S to this point but I will share the cost of his air-fare out of town if he is a dud this year!I agree he needs to step it up NOW!

16. By Karan on Jul 30, 2012 | Reply

Don’t get me wrong, I love the young receivers we have, but since Edwards started working out with teams again, I thought a veteran might make us more dangerous,

17. By ron alexander on Jul 30, 2012 | Reply

DanH, thanx for the update on the two kids at safty. Nice to hear they are aquitting themselves well to date!64 dead on my man with Landry and Bell as strictly stop-gaps this year.We need to get younger and more athletic at that posisition but the kids are not ready at this point.Bush is a converted cornerback who has great coverage skills for a safty.Allan was used mostly as an in the box extra linbacker so he has some learning to do in regard to coverage.Both are good athletes who show great potential.Hats off to the scouting dept.

18. By Tom Spicer on Jul 30, 2012 | Reply

Did anyone read about the “Cro package” where Cromartie is going to play WR for us. I am totally against this for multiple reasons 1 he is our #2 corner & 1 of our better players we dont need him getting hurt playing WR. The guy doesnt like contact anyway why would we subject him to this. Also week 1 lets say just finished playing WR on a drive than he has to go out on D & chase around Steve Johnson with no break! The Bills & other teams will be licking there chops with this saying after every time he plays WR as soon as he gets on D we are going right at him.

19. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 30, 2012 | Reply

I wasn’t offended, ron a, and apologies would take all the fun out of this site, so don’t bother with them on my account. GaryC, go argue with Rex, he’s the one who apparently was too busy obsessing on 8-DB defensive packages to have noticed the Joe Montana era. Spicer, I’d be interested in your take on what “the Cro package” says about Rex, Sparano, and our offense. There’s a distinctly comedy-of-errors quality about some of the stories that have been coming out of camp since we got Tebow, who in the old days Rex would’ve enlisted to drive that little Jet plane around the sidelines at Shea. This is partly why I have a suspicion this yr could be a 4-12 disaster, we don’t see to be planning like a serious NFL team.

20. By scjoe on Jul 30, 2012 | Reply

Ron A, don’t shoot the messenger! If you read the rest of Lupica’s article you would think that it was “Joe Caps” who wrote it, and I happen to agree with it.

21. By ron alexander on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

S.CJoe, you are nothing if not consistent on M.S.I hear what you say,though I dont agree I think it does balance my overly poitive view. And you know I am inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt. Of course my wife has been telling me for 30 years now that I am too positive! She means about everyone and every thing in life.But that is how i view things so I guess we are who we are.64 thanks, I’ll keep that in mind.Is anyone out there watching ESPN’s Jets training camp coverage? Its cool they are doing it,the problem is they are totally over the top analizing stuff. I mean completion percentage comparisons between T.T & M.S.?
    Dudes, its practice? Isn’t the purpose of practice to get better? Still, its interesting to see the progress.

22. By ron alexander on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

SPICER, dont worry about Cro, he will be fine. As much of a knucklehead as he is,he is probably our best athlete on the team. At 6-2 and with his speed he will be a threat the defence cant ignore. Hopefully, that will make it easier for Keller,Holmes,and our other recievers to play against single coverage.Even if we use him as a decoy he will present coverage issues for the opponent.They probably wont use him on 3rd downs to keep him fresh.Keep in mind, he is very dangerous as a kick returner so if we can get him the ball in space it could work out o.k.

23. By scjoe on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

Ron A…I strive for consistency (lol) Listen, I think we both know the shortcomings of Mark Sanchez. The difference between you and me is that you are much more optimistic that those “short” comings are “short” term. Me? I believe in only what I can see. What is right in front of me. What I can actually see with my own eyes. In other words, when I see it, I will believe it.

24. By scjoe on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

One point on the “cro package” if he can run kicks back, then, come right back in to play defense (on a TD or a long run back) why can’t he do it playing WR? I think the guy is in pretty good physical condition. That said, I think common sense has to prevail.

25. By ron alexander on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

S.C.Joe, as usual,well stated. I guess when I see a guy make a great play(and M.S has made an awful lot of great plays) I cant help but recognize the guy does have the ability to get the job done.Now,the difference to date is the consistency!Can M.S get the job done on a much more consistent basis? I dont know, but as he is our Q.B this year i guess we have to hope as Jet fans that he does!Like I said, lets not worry about CRO, if having all those kids didn’t wear him out, I dont think playing a few more snaps on “O” will.