• Sun., Apr. 20, 2014 7:00PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel
  • Sun., May. 04, 2014 7:30PM - 8:00PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Thu., May. 08, 2014 12:00AM - 12:30AM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Thu., May. 08, 2014 2:00PM - 3:00PM EDT Live Jets Talk LIVE Draft Show Prior to 1st RD of NFL Draft
  • Thu., May. 08, 2014 6:30PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Fri., May. 09, 2014 12:00AM - 12:30AM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sat., May. 10, 2014 12:00AM - 12:30AM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sun., May. 18, 2014 7:00PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sun., Jun. 01, 2014 7:00PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sun., Jun. 08, 2014 7:30PM - 8:00PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

T.Ganaway’s Got Football, Fullback on His Mind

Posted by Randy Lange on July 31, 2012 – 11:27 am

All kinds of people find their ways onto NFL rosters for the training camp season. They’re all physically and mentally tough enough, they all have their stories to tell. But some just seem to have an overflow of that necessary football mindset.

Guys from Texas, I’ve found, are often like that. They’ve been steeped in the traditions of the game from just after they learned to walk. They’ve played the game at a high level in high school and then college. But now some find themselves in the pros and realize it’s a brand new world, there are new jobs to be won and goals to be accomplished, and it’s just time to tighten the chinstrap, go to work and get ‘er done.

Terrance Ganaway strikes me as one of those guys.

Ganaway was a decorated player at DeKalb High, rushing for 6,587 career yards that at the time was the 26th-most in Texas prep history. Then he built his college career to a peak with last year’s 1,547-yard, 21-touchdown senior finale for Baylor. The Jets drafted him in the sixth round in April.

He’s in the middle of training camp now, and perhaps the biggest thing on his mind at the moment is … fullback.

When was the last time he played fullback?

“Never. Never,” Ganaway told me evenly. “I just know that fullback is a different breed of man. I’ve really got to get my mind mentally prepared for that. But at the end of the day it’s just football, man. We’ve been playing this game in pads since we first started. It’s just a part of the game.”

Ganaway is a bigger bopper of a running back similar to Shonn Greene’s build and style — an “A” back, in coordinator Tony Sparano’s parlance. He said he’s at 235 pounds now. He’s taking reps at tailback but with Josh Baker’s broken nose and Sparano’s search for versatility and depth behind John Conner, Ganaway lately has been getting reps at fullback as well.

Does he view the position addition as a minus? Absolutely not.

“I just think of it as me being that much more valuable to the team,” he told my partner, Eric Allen, as we double-teamed him for newyorkjets.com. “For me, special teams is a real big thing, then second fullback on the team, third or fourth running back on the team — I think that’s a travel guy. I don’t know, I’m not in the office calling all those shots, but I want to be the most marketable player that I can be on this team and fullback helps me do that.”

“Terrance did a nice job in there, so that was good,” head coach Rex Ryan said of Ganaway’s FB baptism. “He’s a funny guy and a great guy to be around. He’s always smiling. He’s about as positive of a person as you can think of and a tough guy. He’s going to win. He’s a competitor and those are the guys you want to hand the ball to. That just gives us two more options and it’s great for us.”

Tough guy? It exudes from Ganaway’s pores. EA asked him about putting the pads on for the first time on Sunday.

“It’s real nice to get on the pads,” he said. “You get to feel who’s really wanting to play football and who’s just wanting to be a T-shirt guy. I think I really want to play football.”

I asked Ganaway if he’s got enough time to learn the new position as well as he knows his primary position and add it to his repertoire so he becomes a member of the Jets’ travel team.

“I don’t have time. Time is not on my side,” he said. “I’ve just got to get in there and learn the plays. I’m not worried about doing something that I’m not able to do because I feel like I’m talented enough, smart enough and physical enough to play football. I’ve just got to learn the offense from the fullback and running back perspectives and I’ll be good to go.”

Practice Notes

It’s been done before, but to see LaRon Landry do it adds an extra small chapter to the book on the Jets’ safety as a tough, driven, physical defender. No. 30 missed an interception that he felt he should have had in Sunday’s practice. As a result, on the hottest morning so far at SUNY Cortland, Landry performed an on-field penance — pushups — before heading to the sideline. I didn’t count them but it seemed as if he might have done 30 of them.

There was no camp practice today, with the Jets players getting their first mandated day off under the new CBA rules. They’ll return for padded practices Wednesday and Thursday (open to the public) and Friday (closed) before turning up the juice just a bit for the Green & White practice on Saturday evening, followed by their next day off on Sunday.

Tags: , , , , ,
Posted in Randy Lange, Uncategorized | 64 Comments »

64 Responses to “T.Ganaway’s Got Football, Fullback on His Mind”

1. By scjoe on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

Fullback? Fullback?? That is a dying breed. Can anyone tell me who the “fullback” is in NE? Get with the program people. Give the guy reps at RB and see how or if, he develops. Matter of fact take a good long look at all of those RBs on the roster, and when you figure out one or the other just can not get the job done replace him with a TE. Maybe, just maybe we can strike it rich like that team from the north.

2. By Karan on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

Aw man, well, there goes Otah.

3. By scjoe on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

Breaking “bad” news… Otah trade off as Otah fails another physical, and BE signs with the Seahawks, ( I thought for sure it would be the Dolphins) Well, Carey is still out there, but after that the RT spot has just about dried up, so it is beginning to look like it is Hunters job to lose (that shouldn’t be to difficult to accomplish)

4. By robertpapalia on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

Just learned that jeff otah failed his physical with the Jets. They must bring in someone else to challenge Hunter. Vernon Carey I believe is still available. If the Jets go into this season with Hunter as rt they`re crazy. No matter who is qb he will run the risk of serious injury with that guy as rt. Hopefully this gets addressed real soon. I hate to see a season hang in the balance with this hanging over the team`s head.

5. By Stevesc on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

Of all the Jet’s draft choices, this one intrigues me the most… Looking at his highlight film, he has power and speed when he breaks into the open field. Can’t wait to see him get some reps during the preseason. If the Jet’s are returning to the ground and pound, I think TG will be a great asset to the team.

6. By oasus on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

Opening day vs. Buffalo is going to be Curtis Martin Day. In honor of this, during the game, his #28 jersey will be retired. Excellent gesture.

7. By Tom Spicer on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

I watched a few Baylor games because I wanted to watch so I can see what all the hype was about the QB RG3. While watching RG3 what I noticed is this Ganaway is a player & I think that for the round we took him it was a steal. I can tell you right off the bat he is better then Powell our last years 4th round pick. He is a big back like Greene but unlike Greene who could not catch a pass to save his life. Ganaway has not good but very good hands so he can be used in the passing game.

8. By Tom Spicer on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

Jets voided their acquisition of OT Jeff Otah, returning him to the Panthers.
    Otah, who has chronic knee issues, had to pass a physical by Tuesday afternoon for his trade to become official. The Panthers can now trade him, grant him his release or place him on the active/PUP list. The Jets get their seventh-round pick back. The Bears were believed to be interested in Otah before his ill-fated trade to New York. The move raises questions about Otah’s NFL future, and the Jets’ player evaluation skills. Expect RT Wayne Hunter to be coach Rex Ryan’s most frequent recipient of praise for the remainder of camp.

9. By Tom Spicer on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

Braylon Edwards signed a 1 year deal with the Seahawks.

10. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

Back in the Stone Age, when FB was actually an important position in the NFL, Rex might’ve been of some us to an offense. These days, these kinds of articles are unintentionally hilarious, though I will say I’m thrilled to see the Jets actually trying to play the RBs they draft, rather than just drafting more and more of them and remaining afraid to put them on the field. Meanwhile, the Otah trade is off, GaryC, so if there’s anybody we shouldn’t be putting in the HOF yet, it’s him. Someone please explain to me what sense it makes when a HC is delighted to run the ball 22 times in practice but doesn’t bother to get a decent backup C or starting RT.

11. By wayne on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

Mentioned Ganaway as guy for Jets to go after loooong before they picked him……Careful Jets fundamentalists, if you treat LIONHEART with ill care, you might not like what GQ gets in return from the legion…………………..Oh well, maybe Otah won’t be replacing Mr. Hunter after all………………..We already know Jets have problem evaluating talent:QB…………..Not on the Greene bandwagon but would not at all be surprised to see him have a good year: contract year……………….By the way Greene says he was fresh at the end of the year and could have handled more carries. Way I remember it, he was hurt(ribs) and didn’t start doing anything until he got hurt and stopped gitterbugging in hole.

12. By SCfromNY on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

I think the safeties this year are a good upgrade over last year and with added speed on the DL the Jets SHOULD be better. The problem I have with some signings, especially Landry, is that having been signed for only 1 year, understandable, if he stays healthy and has a pro bowl year the Jets will probably not be able to afford him.

13. By Jimmer on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

Easy on the listing of a FB. If I recall correctly. Tony Richardson was a recent FB, but I think he rushed for alot of yards before we got him. We still used him in situations that he was great at.
    I forgot his name, but found it quite quickly due to the all time roster section on this website. Kudos for that guys, I saw many names I forgot going through the list. But, it would be great if you could sort by position?

14. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

SEA is starting to become the last destination for deteriorating WRs, so I’m not too surprised by the Edwards signing. Apparently those injuries have taken a greater toll on him than you might expect for a guy his age.

15. By Jimmer on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

stevesc, rb’s are totally hit&miss after the first rd. I hope he does well, but we’ll see. He did have very good stats, I hope they are NFL calibre stats.

16. By Bennett on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

Oh what a surprise Otah failed his physical how did that happen ? I mean gee he only missed 28 GAMES IN THE LAST 2 SEASONS and so what if he showed up at the Jets with a little “fluid ” on his knee. Back to the drawing board again it be time for good ole plan B. Happy to see Landry out there hope he makes it boy do we need an impact, physical beast like him, remember we sorely owe the Ravens a good old fashioned downhome butt whoopin after the kickin the gave us

17. By Jimmer on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

Wayne, we have jettisoned Shotty. Any speculation about the O is a moot point right now. New OL system and all. I think Rex thought this through. Shotty never paid much attention to the trenches, just the skill guys, that was his flaw. I don’t see that today. I even give Hunter a clean bill of health until I see otherwise. Even if he IS just a mauler, no bad can come from the new system.
    We will run the ball at will late in the season due to Hill. This kid is the perfect partner to Holmes. With that size/speed/hands,,,, MS can cause terror.

18. By Jimmer on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

SCfromNY, I hope you’re right. We haven’t been able to cover a TE since Mo Lewis.

19. By IRA on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

Otah is no big deal. Good try though. Still think Hunter can bounce back this year. Will wait and see what develops at RT these next two weeks. They will watch the waiver wires. One thing is Ducasse is showing some progress if by any chance he shows he can play they can always move Slauson over to RT were he played three years at in college. Want to see Howard too. Ganaway at FB/RB is just fine no big deal.
    Too bad about Edwards signing with the Seahawks. Lets hope these WR’s show something and Kerley can get back on the field. If not they will have to find someone for sure. Schilens and Turner are nothng more than a 4th WR and Hill is very raw. This is a thin group.

20. By worrell on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

Question to Jets management!!! if the team need wide receiver experience or another proven body what’s the reason Plax is still unsigned? really!! this dude maybe 35 but this dude catches the ball all over the field and end zone. i don’t understand it at all, maybe i’am missing something, if so someone please school me!!!!!

21. By rspikes on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

These are some pretty funny comments, especially the ones questioning the fullback position.

Just a few years ago, All-Pro Daryl Johnston played on three Super Bowl winning teams at Dallas. He was a great receiver and runner in his own right, as the records indicate, but he is best remembered as the man who paved the way for Emmitt Smith.

Now, are you saying that today’s teams are better than those of his day?

If I am not mistaken, Drew Brees and Aaron Rogers left the playoffs early. Brady lost, too. All three had better season stats than Eli Manning.

I am always amused when people say that today’s athletes are better than those of yesteryear. I have heard this refrain for 50 years. It is all baloney.

22. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

I didn’t really understand what’s going on only a few days into camp with Holmes saying more nonsense about what happened last yr, Cro saying this current nonsense about how he’s the 2nd-best WR on the team, and of course Rex saying nonsense about the O on a daily basis. But then I read this intriguing post on ESPN from someone who’s obviously not all that crushed by Rex’s departure a few yrs ago from the team that he roots for:
    Ravens4Life20:
    Rex needs to go. Good coordinator. Horrible coach. His players never seem to shut up.

23. By GaryC on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

sorry jetfantom, the jets had nothing to lose on bringing in Otah,I did mention about them doing the typical due diligence,ie, Ainge and kendrick ellis,remember.Also like I said and even Ira agrees now,come opening day,don’t be surprised if it is Ducasse at guard and Slauson at Right Tackle,more likely to happen then Newton in the Hall of Fame.

24. By ron alexander on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

RSPIKES, although its hard to compare players from different era’s, I do believe I can say with out a doubt that todays athletes are bigger, stronger and faster than those you and i grew up with. I was fortunate enough to play college football,basketball and baseball and was a starter in each sport. I ran a sub 4.6 40. could easily bench over 300lbs and was dunking a basketball as a 12 year old.(i couldn’t walk & chew gum at the same time,but I could dunk.) My point is as a pretty good athlete I played against many guys who went on to play as pro’s.& there was no comparison between me and them!They were better!I also coached at high levels in high school and these kids today train 12 months a year under expert trainers.

25. By since shea on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

A lot of feel good stories coming out of camp like Ganaway,White,Allen and others. But, are we really going into the season hearing that Ducasse and Hunter may be starting? Ducasse and Hunter? Are you kidding me? And of all the feel good stories, anyone hear any about Coples? Is he still in camp?

26. By ron alexander on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

Continued; In addition, their are programs like”Bigger-Faster-Stronger through out the country where coaches are trained to emplement with the athlets they coach. Proper nutrition is also a big factor.Sorry if i got carried away here but the info is out there if you want to check it out.IRA, I agree Otah is no big loss, who knows how long he would have stayed healthy?Dont under estimate Schilens, he is more talented than you might think. Injuries have been his bug-a-boo.WORRELL, although Plaxico did make several high-light reel catches last year he really struggled to get any seperation from the d.b’s which made it tough to throw in his direction. Quite a few of Sanchez’s pic’s were by the d-back covering Plax.

27. By robertpapalia on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

His players don`t shut up because Rex encourages them not to. Also Ira, for the Jets to wait for another 2 weeks to see what the waiver wire brings is utter nonsense. Another teams garbage is not the answer to the right tackle problem. They need to address this right now.

28. By steven on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

I think a lot of newbies are going to make names for themselves.
    Hayden Smith, Taren Lloyd, Schliens, Hill, Couples, Ganaway, Bell, Landry, Bush, Allen, Maybin, Jay Richardson and Ricky Saap

29. By scjoe on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

rspikes, you are exactly right. The FB position was an important position back when Dallas won it’s last SB. BUT, it wasn’t a “few” years ago as you indicated, it was more like 16 years ago. The NFL has changed it’s offensive philosophy big time since then, and that change does not bode well for FBs. For QBs, WRs, and TEs, yes, but not FBs. Many teams do not even have “prototypical” FBs on their roster. It is a passing league now, like it or not. All we need now is for someone to tell that to Rex.

30. By Jets1/12/69 on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

Hey Jet Fan 64 Tom, after studying your posts, I have started implementing your tactics in my daily life and now I too am a genius! All I do is take my opinion, find an article, blip on t.v., posted comment, etc that goes with mine and POOF, that makes me 100% correct and all others as you say “delusional”. *disclaimer* DO NOT TRY THIS WITH YOUR WIFE!!!!!

31. By GaryC on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

this is to jetfantom, a receiver if he wants to can make a quarterback look very bad,you being an ex quarterback that you state should know,Like running a route not to the depth that is asked,pulling up to soon on a bomb,just lackadaisical play in general.Is that why the wide receivers need to be pampered,if they don’t get a certain number of passes thrown their way.

32. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

Hey Jet 1/12/69, if anyone had ever been 100% right about the Jets, we might’ve come close to winning another SB. But I think that Ravens fan made a good pt about Rex and robertpapalia seems to agree. As for Jet fans on this site, how could you not quote them, they make so many good pts day after day. But GaryC, I don’t get your pt today, who’s making who look bad? Certainly there are some diva WRs but that’s also what happens when the player is too good for the team, as is happening with Revis right now. I told Arte the other day I expect to see Revis on the Steelers or the Cowboys in 2 yrs and maybe by then it’ll occur to the Florham Park braintrust that we’re nowhere near winning the SB and we really gotta get an elite QB.

33. By Tom Spicer on Aug 2, 2012 | Reply

Tom 64, I think what Gary C is trying to say is this for example since when you are a little kid you are told to come back to the ball when you run a pattern. VS Denver last year Plax ran a stop & instead of coming back to the ball he just sat there the corner step in front of him picked it off for a TD & that changed the whole game. If Plax would have done such a simple thing as coem back to the ball he would have caught it & changed the whole game. Instead it is Mark Sanchez stinks well WR’S can make a QB look real good or real bad.

34. By ron alexander on Aug 2, 2012 | Reply

Jets 1/12/69 Great stuff! Hilarious dude!(even if it is at my man TOM64′s expence.
    Hey, funny is funny!SPICER, another great point about Plax being lax.couldn’t say it better.STEVEN, like your thinking about a lot of new guys makeing an impact this year.Nothing would make me happier than to have to eat crow about Tannenbaums ability to assemble a good collection of talent. To date he has shown like zero ability in that regard. If most of the names you mentioned turn out the way you predict,it will mean “ole Tanney” has finally got it righrt?SINCESHEA,I’m with you dude, cant believe we are even considering Ducasse or Hunter as key contributors to this years team?Very scary!!!!

35. By GaryC on Aug 2, 2012 | Reply

Tom Spicer,thank you, plastico did that against denver, believe the corner was Goodman,JetFantom never sees the faults of the receivers,only Sanchez.they need to give one hundred per cent effort and sometimes you just don’t see it.

36. By rspikes on Aug 2, 2012 | Reply

I have to disagree with good guys SCJoe and ronalexander.
    I do not care if today’s athletes are bigger, stronger and faster than those of yesteryear (and in fact I do not believe they are),
    and I do believe that many of the teams of their day are inferior to teams of today merely because of formations or positional changes.
    For your points to be true, it necessarily would follow that:
    Jim Brown, Bronco Nagurski, Jim Brown, Walter Payton, Gayle Sayres and other HOFrs could not make roster today…that Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain or Michael Jordan need not apply for a job in the NBA…or that Rocky Marciano, Joe Louis or John L Sullivan could not step into a ring with anyone in the WBA.
    What am I missing here?

37. By SCfromNY on Aug 2, 2012 | Reply

rspikes, You are quite right on the athletes you mentioned. Special elite athletes only come around once and a while and they could play with anyone. But anyone who can not see that the players overall are bigger, stronger, and more muscular than before isn’t watching. Lineman who traditionally had what could be described smooth muscle, not weak muscle are now ripped to shreds. Look at T.O. at his age, back in the day receivers rarely looked like that. If you saw Donald Driver on Dancing with the Stars he is still at his age in incredible shape. This prevalent at all positions, except maybe kickers.

38. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 2, 2012 | Reply

That’s because Sanchez’s faults are a lot more glaring than the WRs, GaryC, as everyone around the league knows. I don’t see Santonio Holmes coming in first yr after yr in any polls of players as to who’s the most overrated player in the NFL.

39. By scjoe on Aug 2, 2012 | Reply

Rspikes, you are generalizing, I will be the first to tell you there were many, many elite athletes in years past, just as there are many today, that is not just pro football. But over all, and I will select pro football as an example, today athletes “overall” are in much better physical condition then lets say 20 or 30 years ago. That is due more to today’s technology and training then anything else. Sure, I would take a Jim Brown on my roster in a NY minute. BUT, I know I wouldn’t be getting that same “man among boys” analogy as we did in the 50s and 60s where Brown at 235-240 was bigger then most of the D lineman.

40. By Tom Spicer on Aug 3, 2012 | Reply

Tom 64, That most overrated list is garbage every year you see a player on a New York team just because they are from New York get on the list for example Derek Jeter is on that list every year. But the bottom line is this the guy will have more hits than any player ever in the history of the game when he retires.

41. By rspikes on Aug 3, 2012 | Reply

SC:
    The “bigger, stronger, faster” mantra has been going on for a long time. Each new generation seems to think that his is the best, in every sport.
    Questions:
    ~ Is Welker bigger, stronger and faster than receivers of yesteryear?
    ~When and how are tests taken and measurements made of things like intelligence, mental toughness, desire, determination, will, adrenalin production, and refusal to quit?
    ~Bigger, stronger and faster mean only that, and nothing more…isn’t that self-evident?
    ~Why didn’t Primo Carnera retire undefeated? He was biggest.
    ~How did a runner with a club foot, on a wet dirt track, become the first man in history to run the 4 minute mile?
    There is more to life and men than “who can jump the highest or run the fastest”?

42. By scjoe on Aug 4, 2012 | Reply

rspikes, all valid points, but you have to remember there are many athletes of this generation who also have intelligence,mental toughness, desire, determination, will, adrenalin production, and refuse to quit, ALONG WITH today’s much better training methods, medical procedures, the use of technology in the class rooms, the huge upgrade of training facilities etc. then 20- 30 years ago. THAT is what makes them better athletes. Bottom line? There were elite athletes back then just as there are today, but because of all the things I just mentioned today’s athletes have a huge advantage over those of the past.

43. By SCfromNY on Aug 4, 2012 | Reply

The bigger, stronger, and faster debate can not be determined by referencing elite athletes from the past. It is a generality. There will always be exceptions. Look at Herschel Walker who never lifted a weight. But overall todays athletes through better nutrition and the evolution of training machines and techniques are superior. Again this is not 100% true but overall there is no contest. Yes I would be glad to have Jim Brown on my team now but I don’t think h would enjoy his success against todays quality linebackers.

44. By GaryC on Aug 4, 2012 | Reply

scjoe,one thing about yesterday’s athletes,they didn’t need to self promote like the one’s today on twitter,if there not getting enough air time they need to rile things up a bit by doing a tweet,yesterday’s athletes only worried about getting better in their sport.

45. By ron alexander on Aug 4, 2012 | Reply

Dude,every thing you say has truth. The only point I’m trying to make is what S.CJoe is trying to tell you.Like it or not, technology is here! You either embrace it and go forward or get left behind!Like you I have tremendous respect for the legends of our past. To me,Gayle Sayers,greatest runner i ever saw!Wilt Chamberlain,greatest all-time player!Willie Mays,could do it all!(and with style!)I remember i saw Connie Hawking dazzel the basketball world with his grace & achrobatic’s.But then Dr.J came along and was even more amazing!Then Michael Jordan blew everyone away.And of course now we have LaBron who does everything they did,only he is 6-9 275lbs and is as athletic as any person that has ever lived.

46. By rspikes on Aug 4, 2012 | Reply

The NFL does not give an award to the guy who can jump the highest, run the fastest or lift the heaviest weights.
    Instead, the award goes to the team that wins.
    What about other measurements? How do they determine intelligence, adjustability, mental toughness, bravery, or will?
    I recently saw Steve Smith ranting about Tebow again on “First Take”. He didn’t care if Denver won a particular game, but he was incensed that they won while converting just two passes.
    Another thing: passing efficiency. When receivers drop balls, run the wrong route, do not do every thing possible to catch a pass, or if the defender makes a spectacular play or interception, the quarterback is charged an incompletion.
    I do not respect stats: they do not matter.

47. By rspikes on Aug 4, 2012 | Reply

So Nietschke, Singletary, Huff, Jordan, Lambert, Hamm, Butkus, Carson, Thomas, Hendricks, Lanier…..would they be tow small, slow and weak to make it as a linebacker today?
    Really, SCJoe, you have gone overboard on today’s players’ abilities.
    After our generation passes, they will say the same thing that you are now saying about the players of today, and they will be just as wrong.
    I do not generalize. That honer belongs to you. I named specific players.
    Look up Milo of Thebes, and opine as to what you think of him.

48. By ron alexander on Aug 4, 2012 | Reply

RSPIKES,Again, you choose to shoot the messenger.Your disagreeing with S.CJoe basically consists of naming former great players and assuming he thinks they couln’t make it in todays N.F.L. That is not at all what I got from his comments. Joe’s point is simply that todays players have more available to reach their maximum physical and mental capabilities.Better strength training techniques,facilities,nutrition,film study,ect,ect.My guess is if the guys you mentioned had the same opportunities they would do just as well.

49. By scjoe on Aug 4, 2012 | Reply

rspikes, I too can name hundreds of athletes in today’s era that you can categorize as “elite” simply because of what they can and have accomplished, Brady, Manning, Lebron, Jeter, Pujols, Moss, Verlander, Strasburg, Wade, etc. etc. etc. One note on Manning and Brady, they are not “elite” because of their physical attributes but more for their work ethic, their training, their class room participation etc. The things you seem to think only the athletes of yesteryear had. Quite simply, because of today’s standards as opposed to 20-30 years ago there is no comparison. And with that I will rest my case.

50. By scjoe on Aug 4, 2012 | Reply

Rspikes, just one more thing. I have given you many reasons why I believe today’s athletes are much more superior then those of yesterday. Give me one good reason why you believe that is true with the athlete s of 20-30 years ago. And please, not the determination, will, intelligence and mental toughness that BOTH era’s had.

51. By rspikes on Aug 4, 2012 | Reply

I have shot no messengers. I just have a different opinion.
    I have not unfairly selected elite players for comparison. I just asked some common-sense questions.
    I do not challenge either of you, but I do question the prevailing notion that today’s athletes are superior to others, merely because tests show certain selected aptitudes, and omit others.
    I think that the argument that “bigger, stronger,faster” translates to “better” is invalid.
    It is similar to the brag that today’s army is our best ever. Certainly we are advanced, but by repeating this slogan, we are insulting the memories of the men of Valley Forge, Gettysburg, Chateau-Thierry, Normandy and Iwo Jima.
    We just disagree on this topic.

52. By scjoe on Aug 5, 2012 | Reply

rspikes, exactly who ever said that today’s athletes are “better” just because they are “bigger and stronger” the only one I here mentioning that is you. Read my post above where I spoke about Brady and Manning, that should put to rest any thoughts you may have about me stating “bigger and stronger” means “better” I may have mentioned the fact that they are bigger and stronger because that is exactly what I mean, a “fact” What I said, and what I will stand by, is today’s technology and training methods are what makes current day athletes superior to those of the past.

53. By scjoe on Aug 5, 2012 | Reply

rspikes, imagine Joe Willie, or even Mickey Mantle in their prime current day. Imagine with today’s technology and breakthroughs in medical treatment to aid in the knee conditions each of them had how their careers would have been extended and how it would have effected their performance on the field. Then, imagine Peyton Manning, with his undeniable talent for reading defenses and overall knowledge of the game going up against defenses of the 50s and 60s. See, it has nothing to do with “bigger and stronger”

54. By rspikes on Aug 5, 2012 | Reply

This will be my final post on the notion that today’s athletes are superior to those of the past.
    ~I categorically reject the statement that, in the case of Jim Brown, the defensive players of his day were only “boys”. That is a foolish and harsh insult to those who played with and against him.
    ~How many two-way players are there today?
    ~Why did the Saints, 49rs, Packers and Patriots, all with great modern offenses, lose their last game of their season, while the Giants, with a 9-7 season record, win four in the playoffs? Green Bay didn’t even win one. Were the Giant players bigger, stronger and faster than those of the other teams, or did they win the old fashioned way, with teamwork and effort?

55. By scjoe on Aug 5, 2012 | Reply

rspikes, this is just plain silly! But, you ask why NE, GB, SF,and NO all lost their last games with their “great modern offenses” Simple, only one team can win! This year it was the Giants, with their “modern offense” But tell me, how does this even remotely prove your point about past athletes being superior then modern day athletes? As for Jim Brown and the playing against “boys” analogy? That is just a figure of speech that almost anyone who remembers Jim Brown will use to point out the difference in his size compared to most of the players he went up against. How does that “insult ANYONE???

56. By SCfromNY on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Wow, I can’t beleive this discussion keeps going on. Elite athletes, like Jim Brown would still do well in today’s NFL. Probably not as well though. RBs who made a living going wide would find out that the faster stronger LBs and safetys contained them better. Would they be successful? Yes, but not to the degree they were. QBs who were excellent could be even better with new rules protecting them. If Marino played undertoday’s rules no one would EVER break his records. Good QBs would find out that todays DBs are quicker and stronger and they would not achieve what they did previously. Again there are ALWAYS exceptions especially on defense. Desire made Flutie a good QB but never elite. Desire can only take you so far.

57. By rspikes on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

SCJoe:

This really is my last post on the subject!

You wrote “But tell me, how does this even remotely prove your point about past athletes being superior then modern day athletes?”

I have never said that. You made the claim that modern players were superior to those of bygone days. I disagreed, and cited some examples to challenge that claim.

It must have been ron alexander, and not you, who used the “bigger, stronger, faster” mantra, so I apologize for that.

I think that there is more to performance than measurable tests. Apparently, you do not. You sarcastically denigrated mental intangibles, while I applauded them as major qualities.

Using “silly” and “simple” is not gentlemanly.

Let’s stop this.

58. By scjoe on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

rspikes, Agree! Because I don’t appreciate being referred to as sarcastic just for using the term “simple” or “silly” That is far from sarcasm sir.

59. By rspikes on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Then SCJoe and RSpikes, like the United States and Great Britain, are separated by a common language.

To Quote the Chief Joseph of the Nez Perce “..I will fight no more forever”.

Peace, brother.

60. By ron alexander on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

RSPIKES &S.C.JOE AMEN!!!!!!!! Glad we finally put that dog to sleep! Truthfully, a lot of good points were made and I did find the whole thing fun.(but definately way to much about a non jet issue!)Speaking about our boys, anybody catch the fight between mcKnight and Lynn? I guess the boys are tired of hitting each other so this weeks Bengal game should be a welcome relief.Danny, what did you make of
    Boomers Tebow comments?I know 64 must have been luv’n Boomer for that! Anybody see where Scotty McKnight and Demarcus Ganaway were just cut today? i find that curious as we are supposedly thin at W.R. so I cant help but wonder if somthing is brewing via a W.R trade?

61. By rspikes on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

Ron:

I am so excited about the upcoming season.

Sometimes I wonder if certain sportswriters and casters should be gagged.

These are the ones that stir up controversy and get people riled at each other, with no other view in mind.

Go Jets!

62. By ron alexander on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

R/Spikes,, yeah, sometimes when there is no controversy I think they feel a need to create one. Gotta sell those papers! As much as I personally didn’t care for Boomers remarks concerning Tebow, i do respect his opinion as a former player,and a member of the media.Guys like Manish Mehta love to sensationalize stuff like this. Getting back to Boomers comments,others here have questioned his right to voice his opinion so vociferously, but we do have to remember that is what he is paid to do.It’s still tough coming from a formerJet though.

63. By rspikes on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

I do not know why Boomer continues to rant that teams should fire Tebow, Ron. That is what it is, a rant.
    He did the same thing at when Tim was at Denver.
    I wonder how many times he declared that other players be fired immediately? I don’t recall any, offhand.
    Something is seriously wrong with Boomer on this subject.
    It is one thing to assess a player’s ability, but quite another to urge that they be fired immediately.
    Even Steve A. Smith, a Summa Cum Laude Tebow sadist, has not suggested that he be fired.
    What gives with this firing business?
    Every team has a backup quarterback who wants to start.
    But who else can do what Tebow did last year? Boomer seems to wish it away.
    We have an embarrassment of riches at QB.
    Go Jets!

64. By ron alexander on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

RSPIKES,I’m with you on this one. We really dont need our former players bashing our current players. Unfortunately,it is his job to give his opinion and it is what it is? It seems to me that 90% of the so-called experts are saying Tebow is a great football player but that he is not an N.F.L Q.B? Personally,I dont know weather he is or not, but if Sanchez gets hurt this year we will all finf out.