Garrett McIntyre Savors His Tebow Takedown

Posted by Randy Lange on August 1, 2012 – 1:54 pm

Garrett McIntyre knows his pelt in the twos-vs.-twos red zone period at this morning Jets training camp practice is not one to hang on his wall. But he still took a little satisfaction out of “sacking” Tim Tebow in the drill.

“I actually had a chance to sack Tim in the game last year — a real chance — and he made me look bad,” the second-year linebacker said, referring to last year’s 17-13 loss in Denver. “So I know his ability to make people miss. He’s strong. Anytime you can get your hands on him, you feel good, but it’s got to be a collective defensive thing, it’s not one guy, because he’ll make one guy miss.”

McIntyre didn’t miss this time. The second defensive front got good pressure and forced No. 15 to improvise, right into the arms of No. 50, who was coming off the defense’s right edge and pushing back LT Austin Howard.

“It’s just understanding the rush lanes,” Mac said, “knowing that Tebow’s going to scramble a lot and you can’t just run up the field on him. Our goal as a front, especially if we’re rushing four, is to contain him, which is not easy. I just came under. I don’t know who was on the other side but they did a good job of flushing back to me.”

Later in that same drive, McIntyre put a lick on Terrance Ganaway that knocked the rookie RB to the grass. The hit looked and no doubt felt good but drew a mild rebuke from head coach Rex Ryan, since this was not a full-tackling drill.

“You’ve got to treat each other well,” he said. “I was kind of off balance a little bit so I happened to fall on him. We like to be physical on this side of the ball, but we also like to take care of the other guys. We’re teammates, so that’s why I’m looking forward to Cincinnati.”

Some might think McIntyre’s a bubble ‘backer but he rightly feels a lot more comfortable this summer than he did last year, when he was a first-year NFL player who had been to three NFL camps and played for two years with the Arena League’s SabreCats and two years with the CFL’s Hamilton Tiger Cats.

“That probably would’ve been my last shot with the NFL. I would’ve gone back to Canada. I had a job waiting for me up there,” he said. “Now, I do, I believe I belong in this league. I just had to get in first. That’s the hardest part, especially the second time. The best chance you have is coming right out of college, then very rarely you get opportunities after that. So I’m blessed to just have gotten an opportunity and now I’m going to make the best out of it.”

Tempo and Soft Tissue

Santonio Holmes was the latest Jet — in fact their latest WR — who has had to sit out some reps. A little gimpy in previous days. Holmes was on the sideline for the first offense’s two-minute drill at the end of practice.

“Santonio was just one of those soft-tissue type of things,” said head coach Rex Ryan at today’s midday news conference. “That’s why it’s fortunate. They’re not major injuries. But those things keep adding up and we’re trying to figure out why.”

There have been more hamstring/calf-type pulls this year than in previous summers, so this morning’s return after Tuesday’s off-day began with a 20-minute stretching period before practice. Ryan and OC Tony Sparano have talked about the wideouts, who’ve been the hardest-tweaked, and one possible reason for the minor injuries is Sparano’s up-tempo approach, which often this camp has resulted in the Jets getting in twice as many plays in a particular period as they had originally scripted it for.

“I’m not saying anything against what we did in the past, but we were not even close to this kind of tempo,” Ryan said. “But this is who we are offensively, and that’s not going to change. We’re not slowing up. This isn’t just great for our offense but it’s great for our defense. A lot of no-huddle teams gain an advantage because the other teams aren’t working at that level. And I think we are.”

Practice Notes

Vlad Ducasse was another injury concern, but the third-year man said he feels fine after playing LG, hitting the turf, then limping off. Ducasse also played a few reps at RG for the first time this camp, part of the Ryan/Tony Sparano/Dave DeGuglielmo push to get their O-linemen familiar with multiple positions.

In general Vlad says camp is going well, including GM Mike Tannenbaum’s description of him as “a young, ascending player.” “It always gives you confidence every time they talk positively about you. It makes you want to push yourself to get better every day,” he said. “This year I put a lot of pressure on myself to show something, so we’ll see.”

Could this be one of the key days in the kicking competition? For the in-practice FG period, Nick Folk hit from 35, 37, 44 and 46, Josh Brown from 39, 41, 47 and 49. Then Folk nailed a 51-yarder but Brown banged his 51-yarder high off the right upright. Then in the two-minute period, Mark Sanchez rescued his drive with a third-and-long completion to Dustin Keller to set up a Folk 51-yard “game-winner,” which he drove through. … Antonio Allen had his third INT in two practices on an off-line fade into the end zone from Tim Tebow for Dexter Jackson.

Rex Cetera

Veteran reporters and fans who followed the Jets more than a decade ago could be forgiven if they had a flashback this morning. On the sidelines and then walking off in close proximity to each other today were Aaron Glenn and Laveranues Coles. Glenn, the Jets’ Pro Bowl CB, is now a pro personnel assistant with the Jets. Coles, the 459-catch WR for the Green & White, is a pro personnel intern this summer. The two went up against each other during the ’00 and ’01 training camps back at Hofstra University.

S Tracy Wilson was waived this morning. The roster is now at 86 players. … Ryan said Saturday night’s Green & White scrimmage will be held for the first time in Cortland Stadium, on the school’s new turf field. “We’re going to put it in the stadium and the fans will get a better view,” Ryan said. “In the past we held these on the grass fields, but now the turf field’s so nice that we think we can do that. I think it’ll be a good experience for the fans and it’ll be a great experience for us.” … Today’s attendance: 2,361.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

44 Responses to “Garrett McIntyre Savors His Tebow Takedown”

1. By GaryC on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

rex,you shouldn’t have to figure anything out about Holmes injuries,that’s him,admit it and don’t soft soap it.

2. By GaryC on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

I will say this so far about Allen, thought he was more of an in the box safety but is showing better athletic ability with the intercepts.

3. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

Hey, TRACY WILSON, “the hardest-working guy on this team” according to Rex last yr when Cook was let go, was let go himself today! Gee, what happened? Did he stop working so hard? Did 2 rookies play him off the team in 3 days? Or was Rex just engaging in his usual PR nonsense? I still contend that a HC this fundamentally dishonest can’t succeed with players, fans, or against other teams but hey, that should only be Rex’s worst failing. Which brings us to these hamstrings, which is something about which the entire NFL seems to be dishonest. Last yr we heard how there were “more hamstrings than usual.” It seems more likely that what there really is is less conditioning than usual.

4. By Paul N on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

I know this is only training camp, and early camp at that, but is this Allen kid really that talented? Three interception, one off each of our three quarterbacks if I remember right? Hope he keeps it up! We might be playing a rookie at safety before the years out!!

5. By scjoe on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

I like the little I saw of McIntyre, lets just hope he is not this years Clowney, Ratliff,or Kenwin Cummings. By the way, where are those guys? I hate to beat another dead horse, and I know Gary C will jump on this once again, but the more I read about all the WRs going down with one injury or another, yes, I know none have been major(so far), the more I wonder why BE was not brought in considering the fact he passed physicals in two different places. I for one would feel a whole lot better about this offense with another veteran WR and maybe a Cedric Benson.

6. By Tom Spicer on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

From Rotoworld “According to ESPN New York, the Jets did have some level of interest in Braylon Edwards as a “down the road option” before he signed with Seattle. This could be one the Jets end up regretting. Yahoo’s Doug Farrar observed that Edwards looked good, aggressively beating the press off the line in Tuesday’s practice. The Jets passing game, on the other hand, has been a mess early in the camp with unproven receivers struggling to separate from defenders”. The Jets need to get serious on O not just on D. I think back & I can remember 1 year in like the last decade that they had what they need to contend for a title the year they had Holmes, Braylon & Cotchery.

7. By Bennett on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

Of coarse when we say a QB moves toward a sack it would be idiotic to suggest he does it with intention. What is meant by this is pocket presanance.Some QB’s see the pressure and can instantley gage that the have time to make the play and will “stick ” I noticed Eli is excellant at this. Other QB”s do not have that ability or the expiereance to gage this and will move allowing another oppertunity to open for a sack from another direction hence the unintentionally moved toward a sack. Some QB’s have the periferal vision to see how the pocket is “moving” Big Ben has this. Other QB’s do not have this and are unaware of how things are deveolping other than what is in front of them and will move in a direction that actually allows a sack.

8. By Bennett on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

I have a bit of a hobby I study QB’s I have many old tapes of the greats going way back. To watch a great QB in action is a thing of beauty. What I noticed with Sanchez lead me to the comment “moves toward a sack” I noticed althought he is quick on his feet he does not have good vision, or good pocket presance. He bails under pressure way to early, he moves when he does not have to and this furthers the collapse of the pocket alowing sacks that should not happen. He does not have a quick release and does not read the coverage quickly. Just watch Brady some time and see how fast he gets rid of the ball THE BEST I have ever seen. That being said Hunter alone gave up 8.5 sacks and 26 QB hits last year ( in the interests of fairness).

9. By IRA on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

McIntyre had a very good practice today and was really very active. Besides baker having an excellent practice today i was very impressed with the limited amount of reps White was able to get in before he is allowed to have full contact. he is a very thick built WR and looked to be able to run crisp routes and cut well. Looking forward to watching him once he can go full. Powell continues to impress and play very well.
    GO JETS!!!!!

10. By wayne on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

This HC is still a work in progress…..Knows he needs to reel some of his loose cannons in but is still have a problem doing so……..NFL teams do it all the time….Tell them shut the bleep up or fines will commence post haste.

11. By Tom Spicer on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

SCJoe, Again just trying to keep the conversation current you were talking about intangables with some guy. Well in New York this is what they used to say about Eli. He shows no emotion. He shows no fire. He is not a leader. He is to laid back. He sulks when he throws a pick. He always has that aw shucks look on his face. He turns the ball over to much. He stares down his WR’S. He doesnt stand in the pocket strong. He is not vocal enough. These are just some of the things that the New York media used to say about Eli. Do these sound familar? This is some of the same things I hear about Mark more than half of which is not true.

12. By Tom Spicer on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

I love that everyone is counting us out all the media has us 3rd in the AFC at best. The Bills sign Mario Williams & they are now the team to beat? I thought 1 player doesnt make a team? Did Mario all of a sudden overnight become a elite QB who is going to lift them to the promise land? Well most of the time the experts are wrong when it comes to predicting who will win what. I say worst case the Jets are 2nd in the division.

13. By Tom Spicer on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

Why I think the D will be better this year. 1 Coples if this guy becomes what I think he can be we will have the pass rusher we have not had since John Abraham. They are already saying he is the best D lineman we have 2 Maybin he lead us in sacks last year & wasnt even on the team for the whole season. All I hear about is how good Maybin looks in camp. He is just so fast around the edge he could be a great pass rusher. 3 Landry in 2007, 2008 & 2009 to me he was the 3rd best Saftey in the NFL. If he plays all 16 games he can be a difference maker. 4 Wilkerson he had a pretty good rookie year with no otas, minicamp & half a training camp. He really came on at the end of the season & I expect a big year from him. 5 Ellis the Jets they think

14. By Tom Spicer on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

they have a 1st round talent in the 3rd round with this guy. He is another guy with no otsa, no minicamp & half a training camp. He played well in a few games he started but had a mid season ankle injury that made him miss a few games. I think he will be a keeper. 6 Bell I think the Bell & Landry combo is much better then the Eric Smith & Jim Leonhard combo so we are much improved in that spot. 7 Thomas our run D suffered last year when he went out with a season ending injury we could not contain the outside run. I think our run D will be better with him back 8 Rex is going to get more involved with the D so it can only help us.

15. By Scott Heuer on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

Randy, love your updates. Great to see McIntyre has potential but will he make the Jets. Also a note from today. As part of the general public, the perception among the fans is the Jets are doing a terrible job sending out players to sign after practice with the exception of Mondays O-line signing. 3 backup DB for that size crowd. It’s bad when your special teams coach signs more autographs than the players.

16. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

This thing that’s going on with Cro, Rex, and the WRs is weird. That clip (thanks for the tip, Arte) of Hill breaking a scary move, getting wide open, and having to come back for a badly-thrown ball, resulting in an incompletion, would be weird except I’m used to seeing this from Sanchez and I expect to see it from Tebow. (For those of you who have so much to say about Holmes, even some of the receptions that Holmes had to help us win 4 or 5 games in a row in 2010 coulda been thrown better.) I like the way Sparano seems to be taking charge of the O but I’m getting a bad feeling about other things on O, including of course the line.

17. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 2, 2012 | Reply

Drew Brees is clearly elite both on the field and off: “Brees, a member of the players’ union executive board, told Sports Illustrated that respect and trust are issues that should concern commissioner Roger Goodell. “Nobody trusts him,” Brees said. “I’m not talking about a DUI, or using a gun in a strip club, which are pretty clear violations. I think there’re too many times where the league has come to its decision in a case before calling a guy in, and the interview is just a façade. I think now if a guy has to come in to talk to Roger, he’ll be very hesitant because he’ll think the conclusion has already been reached.” Of course, some of us in the bleachers have been saying stuff like this about Goodell for years…

18. By Bennett on Aug 2, 2012 | Reply

Now that I got educated I decided to call the NFL and compain about ranking Sanchez as the 3rd worst QB.in the whole NFL at 30. I told them what I learned. Holmes is a cancer in the locker room so he can’t catch.. Plax stinks only had 1-2 good grabs last season and.lenght ony means vertical not horizontal the don’t count .Sanchez threw it 5 feet over his head and 8 feet to the side to avoid the 5’10″ DB the only looked like bad throws and great catches he did that on purpose D’Bric only got pro bowl cause he has a cool name, he really stinks, Slauson was so hurt the had to amputate his arm after the season, that ancient back? his hands were gnarled with age he couldn’t catch, and the C had a boo boo on his ankle all year.

19. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 2, 2012 | Reply

Thanks for the sanity on QBs, Bennett. I couldn’t agree with you more about Brady, the last few yrs the guy has gotten better if possible and sometimes it’s simply astounding to watch. Of course, a lot of folks in Jetland, desperate to reinforce their hometown fantasies, don’t think it matters when the guy’s left shoulder is destroyed in the playoffs or his #1 TE, who’s on his way to being one of the best ever, suffers the injury that kept Mangold out for several games and plays the next wk. But reality has a way of intruding on all fantasies. The pro- and anti-Sanchez/Tebow/McElroy folks can bicker all they want. The only truth is as long as NE has this edition of Tom Brady and we have no one like that, we’re not winning the division.

20. By Bennett on Aug 2, 2012 | Reply

NFL called back… the looked at the tapes and agreed that Sanchez had to throw the ball 5′ high and 8′ wide so the 5’10′ CB didn’t get it and Plax was just showing off none of the catches were really that good and the agrreed that his diving stretch catches don;t count as a good catch, lenght only means vertical.The also said the agreed that D’bric just got the pro bowl “because of his name” The said the didn’t realize Mangold had a boo boo and Slauson had to have his arm amputated, all the other 31 teams had no injuries on their O lines all season so that was also a mistake. The can’t move Sanchez down to the 4th worst QB spot although the would like to because 29 would be mad. At least I tried maybe the will be more carefull next year

21. By Bennett on Aug 2, 2012 | Reply

Read where Tebow went 2 for 8 with one pic in practice this was buried under how good he looks with a shirt off. He should have been a bodybuilder not a QB there is a reason QB’s dont look like Arnold. THE HAVE TO THROW, being muscle bound is not an old wives tale it’s true. Muscle balance is very important in the mechanics of throwing the body can only learn to adjust and compensate so much for the imbalance. As a kid at 6’2” 155 I was deadly at horeshoes in one year I went to 6’3″ 230lbs of crazy muscle mass. Went to the family picnic first throw hit the garage could not come within 2 feet of that stake if my life depended on it. The body naturally has muscle balance it can learn to adjust just so much when you mess with it.

22. By Tom Spicer on Aug 2, 2012 | Reply

Not good. “Jets first-round DL Quinton Coples has been removed from the starting base formations.
    For now, the Jets’ plan is to use Coples in passing situations and as an end in the 4-3, but will leave him as a backup when in the base 3-4. “We’ll work it from back to front,” DC Mike Pettine said of Coples’ role. “He’ll be a third-down guy, similar to [Aaron] Maybin.” Pettine still says that he eventually expects Coples to play on 50 to 80 percent of the defensive plays per game. The Jets are desperate for pass-rushing help after Maybin led the team with a meager six sacks last year”

23. By GaryC on Aug 2, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, I will not come down on you this time,I am beginning to agree a more veteran wideout would help but like I said don’t drink from the same cup as in Edwards,it is never as good the second time around,and here is something even Jetfantom might agree with,why is Rex still calling Bart Scott the leader of the defense,isn’t it time the mantel was handed to David Harris.how do you call a guy a leader when he is disturbing finger language in the locker room.

24. By Bennett on Aug 2, 2012 | Reply

OK this Eli vs Sanchez debate…After his first 3 years was Eli 2nd in the NFL in turnovers?… no In his 3rd year did he have a QB rating rank of 30?…no In his 3rd year did he have a 33% 3rd down conversion rate?…no Did he ever have 11 turnovers in 3 games?…no In his 3rd year did he have the lowest rate ever recorded for a QB in a single game by the ESPN system?…no Did He ever throw 2 interceptions to lineman in one game? no…DID HE EVER DATE KATE UPTON???? NOOOOOOO!!!

25. By scjoe on Aug 2, 2012 | Reply

Tom Spicer, what you posted above about Eli is mostly true. What I have posted over the past three years about Sanchez is mostly true as well. However, I never once said that there is absolutely no hope for Sanchez. What I sometimes say is that I will give him “the benefit of the doubt” and I have. Eli has shown that you can improve some of those “intangibles” Sanchez has not (So far) So, if there is no improvement in year 4 in both stats and intangibles I can assure you I will not be the only one calling for his head.

26. By ron alexander on Aug 2, 2012 | Reply

IRA & S.C.JOE,Mcintyre is a nice feel good story but I have my doubts he will make this team.When you consider we have last years 4 returning starters plus young athletic guys like Davis,Maybin,Nick Bellore,Marcus Dowtin,Rickie Sapp & Josh Mauga, we would have to keep 11 line backers on the roster?I’m not sure Mac is better than any of the guys mentioned?BENNETT, I hear what your saying about pocket prescence, I would first like to see a pocket before I decide weather or not M.S has any pock prescence?Everyone likes to bring up Brady when they discuss this subject, but he didn’t look to composed to be when the Giants beat the crap out of him the last three games they played each other.(oh,and bye the way,2 of those games were S.B. losses

27. By Tom Spicer on Aug 2, 2012 | Reply

In ELI’S 1ST 5 years. Year 1 48.2%, 1,043 yards, 6 TDS & 10 turnovers Year 2 52.8%, 3,762 yards, 25 TDS & 19 turnovers Year 3 57.7%, 3,244 yards, 24 TDS & 20 turnovers Year 4 56.1%, 3,336 yards, 24 TDS & 27 turnovers Year 5 60.3%, 3,238 yards, 22 TDS & 12 turnovers. Can someone please tell me where in his 1st 5 season he was better than Mark Sanchez cause I dont see it. What year out of these 5 was he better than him please point it out to me?

28. By Tom Spicer on Aug 2, 2012 | Reply

What year was it? Was it the year he had 48% & 6 TDS? Was it the year he had 52% & 19 turnovers? Was it the year he had 57% & 20 turnovers? Or was it the year he had 56% & 27 turnovers? Ok ok I will give you the answer NONE! & if you say yes to 1 of them GET A CLUE!

29. By Tom Spicer on Aug 2, 2012 | Reply

What 3 games did Mark have 11 turnovers in? NONE that is the answer! Yes you are right in his first 3 years ELI was not 2nd in the NFL in turnovers. But in years 2, 3 & 4 he lead the NFL in turnovers for that 3 year time span with 66 turnovers! Your right again ELI did no throw 2 picks to D lineman in 1 game. Let me ask you this did Mark ever throw 5 picks in 1 playoff to single handedly lose it for his team no he did not GUESS WHAT? ELI did! ELI ranked 34th his rookie year, ranked 23rd his 2nd year, ranked 25th his 4th year & they won the Super Bowl that year.

30. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 2, 2012 | Reply

It’s all about intangibles, Spicer, not just a literal look at the stats. What GaryC doesn’t get is that watching five minutes of Newton on the field, you can tell he has a shot at being a really great QB. With Sanchez I always, even in his better games, get the feeling he’s still a college QB, as Arte often says, who might make it to consistent play every day or might not. But I agree with you that Scott is mostly a symbolic figure these days. He was more mouth than motor even in his first yr with us.

31. By scjoe on Aug 2, 2012 | Reply

Ron, from the little I have seen of all those LBs you mentioned above I would say McIntyre should be placed ahead of Bellore, Dowtin, and maybe Mauga as well. With the key words there being “the little we have seen” That is based solely on his pass rushing ability.His size is pretty much the same as Sapp. So, the best we can hope for is that the powers that be make the correct personnel decisions at LB that they do everywhere else. I am not so sure that can be done so easily in the limited amount of time they have in camp. Especially under the new CBA

32. By scjoe on Aug 2, 2012 | Reply

As for the “pocket presence” issue Ron? No one ever said that an elite QB (like Tom Brady, among others) will NEVER, EVER, take a sack. But I for one, and I am sure there are many others who would agree, would take my chances with one of those “elite” QBs avoiding the sack then I would with some middle of the road QB. That is just a given. I lived in S Florida throughout Dan Marino’s career and as much as I wanted to see those sacks, he avoided them as well as I have ever seen, and consider the fact Marino was not that swift a foot.

33. By GaryC on Aug 2, 2012 | Reply

to scott heuer, welcome to the athlete of today,Look,ESPN is following the jets,who cares about the fans anyway,In the early 70′s you could walk up to Joe Namath and Don Maynard and get an autograph,Some of these players act like they belong in the Hall of Fame but more likely The Hall of Shame.

34. By GaryC on Aug 3, 2012 | Reply

what is all this love for Sapp, this guy was a high pick of the eagles who never made it,his measurables are very good but so was gholstons,I hear people on here say he has already made the team,can we wait till the preseason starts.

35. By danny on Aug 3, 2012 | Reply

Dating Kate Upton is enough for me to chose Sanchez over ELI haha

36. By GaryC on Aug 4, 2012 | Reply

JetFanTom, look at Roman Gabriel to Lenny Dawson, who had the great body and throwing arm,I loved Gabriel and those Ram teams but they never won either,you don’t measure quarterbacks on how they look in front of a mirror.

37. By ron alexander on Aug 4, 2012 | Reply

GARYC,relax dude, I’m not putting Sapp in Canton quite yet. I just mentioned him amongst others as possiably beating out Mcintyre for a back-up L.B posisition.
    Like S.C.Joe said, we really havn’t to date seen much of any of these guys in action. My thought was as 3 of the 4 current starters were 31 or older, management may want to go with some of the younger guys.i dont know that Sapp is a better player than McIntyre at this point but from what i have read he appears to be a potentially better long range prospect.At 27 Macintyre has been around and hasn’t exactly wow’d anybody to date?Marcus Dowtin is apparently even faster than Damario Davis,The Jets love Nick Bellore and Josh Mauga has done well when given the opportunity.

38. By ron alexander on Aug 4, 2012 | Reply

SPICER, I said way back in April when they drafted Coples I did not like this pick.As a matter of fact I told my wife before the draft there was one guy I did not want us to draft and thats exactly who they picked.I predicted then he could be another Gholston and he is not wowing anyone to date!Lets hope he comes along soon or its gonna be another distarious Tannenbaum debacle! 64, people dont want to hear it but Newton is the real deal! The guy had to go through a lot to finally make it at Auburn but all he has done is prove everyone wrong every step of the way. His career started at Florida behind Tebow I believe and he moved on to Jr.College,won the national Jr.College championship and of course did the same at Auburn.Wish he was a Jet!

39. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 4, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, are you implying that Dawson didn’t throw well? I think he disproved that notion no later than when his incredibly accurate passing torched the Vikes. As for Gabriel, he also had the bad luck to be in his prime during the heyday of some of the best Browns, Packers, Cowboys, and Colts teams in NFL history, so even making it to the SB was no small task. I’m with you, ron a, I think GaryC’s just trying to talk himself into Sanchez having a great yr and won’t get off the Newton-is-overrated stuff. I don’t know if Newton is going to beat the sophomore jinx but I know that his career, which looks pretty bright, has nothing to do with MS’s career, which is at the make-or-break point.

40. By GaryC on Aug 5, 2012 | Reply

jetfantom, you know and I know lenny dawson kicked around the nfl for awhile before he starred with the chiefs, I was talking about measurables comparing Gabriel to Dawson.If Dawson threw that well,I forgot what team had him in the nfl,he would have never been on the chiefs so he wasn’t a can’t miss off the bat.

41. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 5, 2012 | Reply

Yeah, GaryC, and the NFL whiffed on Don Maynard and Warren Wells, possibly the 2 greatest deep-threat WRs I’ve ever seen, Cookie Gilchrist, one of the greatest FBs I’ve ever seen, and who knows how many other guys. And they wouldn’t start a black MLB like Willie Lanier, I guess he was no good too? All I know is both Gabriel and Dawson were great and both had a lot of great teams they had to go up against, and that’s back when half the teams in the NFL and AFL didn’t make the playoffs. ron a, maybe you can work on GaryC a little, I don’t know why he keeps picking on Newton. Something about his new loyalty to Sanchez — I think if I’d compared MS to Brady, he’d be telling me how MS has beaten Brady once…or twice…

42. By GaryC on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

jetfantom, no more loyalty to sanchez then to a santonio holmes,as a devout jet fan you know how many LOUSY QUARTERBACKS the jets have had over the years and given that Sanchez has four playoff wins in three years that puts him ahead of every jet qb except namath when winning the super bowl.you continue to drink the kool aid about Newton thinking your seeing the next elway,I can hear it next year, you will be talking up Matt Barkley,instead of looking at a microcosm of the jets problems,look at the whole thing and stop giving free passes to a guy like Holmes who is a cancer and who you think is a top ten receiver in this league,WHERE DID YOU EVER GET THAT NOTION.

43. By GaryC on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

jetfantom, what is your take on Matt Ryan,you loved him coming out of college and also hasn’t won a playoff game,is his career over and ready to be tossed to the scrap heap.

44. By GaryC on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

jetfantom, I put this question to you awhile ago,and your silence spoke volumes,who can the jets acquire who is better then sanchez and is not a starter from another team,you know the answer is zero.