• Sun., Oct. 26, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EDT Live Jets Talk LIVE: Pregame Get your most compreshensive game preview as Jets Insiders Eric Allen and Amanda Pflugrad are joined by Vic Carucci of the Buffalo News. JTL kicks off at 11:30 a.m. from the Coaches Club at MetLife  Stadium.
  • Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Inside the Jets

• Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Extra Point - Only on SNY

• Wed., Oct. 29, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

• Thu., Oct. 30, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Sat., Nov. 01, 2014 3:00 PM - 3:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Tue., Nov. 04, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Extra Point – Only on SNY

Rex, Sparano Set to Let the ‘Cat Out of the Bag

Posted by Randy Lange on August 8, 2012 – 1:48 pm

The ‘Cat will be let out of its cage to do some battle with the Bengals on Friday night. As head coach Rex Ryan said at today’s midday news conference, “The Wildcat is something Cincinnati needs to prepare for.”

That’s really no secret tipoff about the Jets’ game plan for their preseason opener. Ryan and coordinator Tony Sparano haven’t installed all of the offense yet, and most of the plays that have been installed with Tim Tebow awaiting the shotgun snap hasn’t been shown to fans and reporters. One exception was last Thursday, when a “live” Tebow spread the offense, then took the snap and ran over between the tackles for the score.

Tebow, starter Mark Sanchez and the rest of the Jets will be live and ready to thrive vs. the Bengals, the team that took advantage of the Green & White’s late-season meltdown to grab the AFC’s sixth playoff seed in January.

Ryan didn’t give any rotation plans, at QB or any other position, although he said the first teams would likely play the first quarter, about 15 plays, give or take, before leaving the field for the twos, threes and fours.

Asked later about his plans for Sanchez and Tebow, the coach expanded a little bit, saying, “With us it’s a new offense and everybody needs reps. Will we extend the first offense more than a quarter? We’ll see. I think Tim and everybody else needs the opportunity to go against live competition. I think that’s where he excels.”

Tebow got some extended playing time at this morning’s practice, but not because Sanchez was struggling. Rather, Mark was sharp as a tack in going 4-for-4 ahead of defenders in the first-team blitz-pickup period.

But TT also had some nice throws today. He hit Patrick Turner for a score against Antonio Cromartie (although he might have been sacked by Bart Scott before firing), Jeff Cumberland on a seam route, and a well-covered Josh Baker on a deep out-route. And when he took Sanchez’s reps with the ones in the two-minute period, he got the offense close enough for Josh Brown to bang home a 53-yard “gamewinner.”

Ryan may be getting amped to get a preview of how his and Sparano’s offense will look this season.

“I’m excited to be looking at all the guys,” he said. “Let’s see, this is a new offense for us. I’m excited to see where that is right now, where we’re at. Also the defense … I hate to be singling out this person, or that person. I’m really excited to see ‘em all play, I really am.”

Sidelined for Cincy

The offense will have to proceed without two of its top wideouts as Santonio Holmes (rib) and Jeremy Kerley (hamstring) won’t play. The O may also be without RT Wayne Hunter (back), in which case Ryan said Austin Howard would step into the starting lineup. But the O-line will get the return of Nick Mangold, who missed Saturday’s Green & White practice to watch his sister, Holley, compete in the London Olympics.

On the defensive line, NT Sione Po‘uha will also sit out with a stiff back and the stitches for the gash on his forehead.

Throttling Down Maybin

LB Aaron Maybin continues to have a high-speed, productive camp, but he committed a gaffe today when, in the non-tackling two-minute period, he hit and spun to the ground WR Eron Riley after a catch, drawing a personal-foul penalty.

“That’s something we’ve talked about,” Ryan said. “I love the way he plays, I love his passion, I love the way he practices, but you still have to protect [teammates]. You don’t have to throw the guy on the ground and things. He loves to get there, he loves to participate, practice and compete. But that’s still a work in progress.”

Practice Notes

David Harris continued his nice pass defense with an artful PD of a pass for Dustin Keller in 7-on-7s. … CB Darrelle Revis made a deft tackle for loss on a pitch play. … Rookie LB Demario Davis had a sack of Greg McElroy up the gut. … Donnie Fletcher plucked a pick on a Matt Simms pass for Bilal Powell that may have been deflected by Maybin. … Today’s attendance: 2,496. … Thursday’s walkthrough is closed, then the team will fly out to Cincinnati.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

19 Responses to “Rex, Sparano Set to Let the ‘Cat Out of the Bag”

1. By IRA on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

Should be fun to see what they have planned for Cincy. I am looking forward to watching the younger players and see what they can do when the lights come on. Coples has to make some plays he has had a quiet camp so far. Glad to see Howard will get some quality reps. This kid is a big dude and they carried him on the 53 last year for this reason. Hope he plays well. Also i want to see what the younger DB’s can do. I think Lankster has that #4 CB spot locked up.

2. By jay on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

Harris will finally start the Pro Bowl this year and get his recognition.

3. By Jimmer on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

I hope the O doesn’t make me cringe Friday. The new system is still foggy. The OL still scares me. But the lack of probowl caliber players in skill positions may really make this game look bad.

4. By walt on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

I think we have found our gronk.I mean Josh Baker.He is an excellent blocker is fast runs precise routes and has good hands.The best thing is that I think we have seen only a slight indication of his potentional thus far.I would like to see him doubled with epps or smith.Our ground and pound and passing attack would really take off.

5. By Mike Jet Vet on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

While we’re on the subject of Tony Sparano’s offense ,forget about letting the cat out of the bag. With all this talk and attention towards Tebow and Sanchez they better start talking about protection ,,any Vladimir Ducusse sightings lately? What’s his deal wasn’t he going to be something special…So now my next thought .Rex best get Coples on track, Why you ask? all these Draft picks we gave away for one reason or another then factor in our last Great picks.. VG, Sanchez, Vladimir, and now Coples, My belief, if our draft was handled correctly last
    4 years we win both AFC Championship games and at least one SB, just saying .. I do like our additions, Maybin, Bell, Landry, Improves our back end and QB pressure

6. By since shea on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

I also would love to see Austin Howard come up big. The alternative is Ducasse/Hunter? We cannot afford to make another major Gholston blunder so hopefully Coples can find himself. Looking forward to the Sparano speed on offense to see how effective it is against the Bengals. A clean quick crisp offense will brighten all else.

7. By scjoe on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

I agree with Ira, I am looking forward to watching the 2s and 3s along with watching Tebow as a pure QB. I don’t believe they will show much of the wildcat offense in the preseason and well they shouldn’t. On that same note, I believe most defenses will catch up to it by mid season anyway. It is hard to win in this league with gimmicks. I’m hoping Coples, Davis and Hill jump out of the box. One other thing i’m looking forward to is the Revis/Greene match up. Don’t really care if it is pre season game #1

8. By SCfromNY on Aug 9, 2012 | Reply

Thinking that we will see a lot of wildcat to save the epth of the real offense and to keep Tebow fans happy for now. We have heard very littl of the rugby guy or the condition of our LBs. Is Sott really faster? How to BT and Pace look after injuries. I am glad to see the WRs getting a lot of work but not glad about why.

9. By GaryC on Aug 9, 2012 | Reply

to all who wanted the jets to draft that beast,trent richardson he is already getting his knee scoped,we will see what he gives the browns this year.

10. By SCfromNY on Aug 9, 2012 | Reply

I think with the first preseason game upon us it is time for a major change. Treat Tebow like the back up and wildcat specialist he is. Time to stop giving him the massive amount of ink. Time to stop having his conference detailed like Sanchez. I know the media will not let up because they love speculation and adversity because it sells papers. But if the team news cuts back on his every movement perhaps it will slow down some. He gets the 3rd most ink on the team and is NOT the third best player. I am hoping to keep my optomism for at least 5 games with Sanchez. He is not my favorite but a much better option than Tebow. Yes he beat the Steelers, without Ben and a defensive plan that made Shotty laugh.

11. By Jimmer on Aug 9, 2012 | Reply

I just thought of something we all missed. When we took on TT, we also took on a 1st rd qb contract. I have a feeling his contract might have affected out F/A hunting.

12. By IRA on Aug 9, 2012 | Reply

I still believe they will add to this roster before week 1 or by week 2. The O on paper looks a little thin right now. I think ST’s and the D will have to make it easier for the O by getting good field position and putting the O in position to not have to go on 80 plus yd drives. It all starts tomorrow night with a good look at some of the youth that is trying to make this team. Really want to see see Bush and Allen make plays this week.
    GO JETS!!!!

13. By ron alexander on Aug 9, 2012 | Reply

WALT, your kidd’n right? Your comparing 6-21/2 240 lb free agent signee Josh Baker to 6-6 270 lb all pro Gronk?Hey,I agree Baker is look’n good so far and I would love you to be right about that, but please, dont hold your breath waiting for that to happan.S.C Joe & IRA, I agree, I am excited to see what the young guys can do. I believe it was GARY-C who brought up a greeat point, Does Rex have the guts to jettison some of the older guys and give the kids a chance?Hey, we have all seen what Pace,Thomas and even MacIntyre can do,(basicly not much at this point)With the speed and athletism the young backers have I would love us to turn them loose on the opposing Q.B’s

14. By since shea on Aug 9, 2012 | Reply

Could it be that getting Tebow was a stroke of genius? Ever see Mark Sanchez more serious about his job? He put on muscle. Changed his diet. Is more of a vocal leader this year so far. He has an alarm to tell him to go to sleep b/c he wants 8 hours of sleep every night. Doesnt have the deer in the headlights look like he did on some game days during the national anthem! I saw him look terrified during the anthem while Mr Cool Brady stood across him confident and secure. Yes its only preseason but I doubt he will be seen this year partying all night with 2 women 2 nights before game day. He is serious! He beats Tebow or the Tebow magic beats him! He is growing up before our eyes. Oh and Hunter/Ducasse NG. And where is Coples?

15. By MedicineBowCO on Aug 9, 2012 | Reply

I’ll be VERY interested to see the wildcat with 2 QB’s that can be a legitimate threat. Some whine that Tebow brings a circus with him. That’s ok. The Jets could use a little fun. Hopefully the Jets can create a “flying circus.” Just like Tebow was a phenom noticed around the country last year, the Jets were a doleful joyless lot noticed around the country. I am optimistic that they are going to turn things around.

16. By MedicineBowCO on Aug 9, 2012 | Reply

Also, the Jets D was the 5th in the league in total yards. They aren’t the problem. The O is what needs to start pulling its weight.

17. By coat on Aug 10, 2012 | Reply

hey Jimmer–I’m pretty sure TT’s contract was reasonable and we got him at a good price . I’m not sure of the #’s but I remember hearing that. I wasn’t big on the tebow aquisition but that guy can ball and if they can use him without disrupting Sanchez to much I like it even more. And tebow is at this stage in his career the best backup qb in football– think about it most back-up qb’s come in for an extended period of time your season is basicly over but with tebow you just don’t know because he can do so much and he’s huge so it shrinks his risk of injury. besides some people say nameth made a deal with the devil for superbowl 3 I dare you to find me a better person to fight those demons than TT. just sayin’

18. By PETER RUSSO on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

TEBOW WAS EXCITING TO WATCH LAST NITE HE DID INSPIRE THE OFFENSE WITH HIS SCRAMBLING ETC. HE WILL GET BETTER EACH WEEK. wtf IS REX DOING PUTTING HIM ON SPECIAL TEAMS BLOCKING FOR THE PUNTER ETC ,YOU JUST RISK THE CHANCE OF HIM GETTING INJURED, HE APPEARS TO BE THE ONLY SPARK THAT THAT WE HAVE FOR THIS YEAR, SO LETS PROTECT HIM !!!!

19. By SCfromNY on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

Well the first preseason game is over and unfortunately many things seem the same. Sanchez has his patented post loss speach. They make errors at critical times. bart Scotts weight loss and determination have little effect on old andI slow.