• Sat., Nov. 01, 2014 3:00 PM - 3:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Sun., Nov. 02, 2014 11:30 AM - 11:50 AM EST Live Jets Talk LIVE: Pregame Get your most compreshensive game preview as Jets Insiders Eric Allen and Amanda Pflugrad are joined by Herbie Teope of Chiefs Digest in Kansas City. JTL kicks off at 11:30 a.m. from Arrowhead Stadium.
  • Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Tue., Nov. 04, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Extra Point – Only on SNY

• Wed., Nov. 05, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Extra Point – Only on SNY

• Thu., Nov. 06, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Fri., Nov. 07, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Sat., Nov. 08, 2014 10:00 PM - 10:30 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 10, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

McKnight’s a Diamond in the Cincy Rough

Posted by Randy Lange on August 11, 2012 – 1:38 pm

Good things can get lost in scuffling affairs such as the Jets’ preseason-opening 17-6 loss at Cincinnati less than 24 hours ago. But one good thing about the Jets’ night that won’t be overlooked was the play of Joe McKnight.

“I thought Joe played extremely well,” head coach Rex Ryan said, mentioning his RB and defending NFL kickoff-return leader first in his remarks at the top of his postgame news conference.

For the evening, McKnight rushed 32 yards on seven carries and had 34 yards on three receptions. All but an 8-yard run took place in the second half. Three consecutive third-quarter touches produced first downs.

“We didn’t win, so I can’t say I had a good game,” said the engaging McKnight. “I did pretty good.”

The third-year man instead spent time dissecting his only minus play of the night, a 1-yard loss around right end with 4½ minutes left in the game.

“I kind of messed around and lost some yards. We can’t afford to lose yards in a position like that,” he said. “We try to get all the yards we can. I kind of ran backwards, something I can’t do toward the end of a game.”

McKnight also was analytical of his competition with RB Bilal Powell, one of the bright lights of the first two weeks of SUNY Cortland training camp, for the job of third-down back.

“I feel like it’s still wide open,” he said. “I’ve still got to be more consistent to do that role. I’ve got to work on my pass protection. Bilal’s a great pass protector. That’s something I’ve got to work on.”

Yet McKnight has some elements of his game that he’s invested some pride in. One piece of his game I asked him about was his offseason bulking up. Is he feeling comfortable with his weight/power gain?

“I’m right at 205. That’s pretty good. I feel good,” he said, then asked me, “Did I look good running between the tackles?”

Why, yes, I said, yes, you did.

“OK,” he said with a laugh. “So I feel good.”

Comparing preseason stats with regular-season numbers is not always recommended. Same genus, different species. But while McKnight has had two better regular-season stat lines — his 2010 Game 16 feature role against Buffalo (34 touches, 173 yards) and last year’s outing against Tim Tebow’s then-Broncos (22-121) — he agreed that last night’s 10-touch, 66-yard showing was as comfortable as he’s felt in the Jets offense.

“I feel the best I’ve felt, in-shape-wise, focus-wise, mentally,” he said. “I just feel like everything has slowed down.”

If he keeps speeding up the process of becoming a complete back, it will help the Jets offense put a lot of mileage between them and the touchdown-less showing vs. the Bengals.

Trying to Block It Out

Ryan was not happy, nor should he have been, about the Bengals’ blocked punt and touchdown recovery by Cedric Peerman in the final half-minute of the first half.

“You’re not going to beat anybody — I don’t care if it’s Pop Warner, a preseason game in the NFL or a regular-season game — if you get a punt blocked, the odds of you winning probably aren’t real good,” Ryan told reporters. “I know you guys will come up with the stats for that, but I’m sure it’s at least 80 percent against you that you’re not going to win the game.”

Ryan was in the ballpark and his point is well-taken. I don’t have preseason stats but in the NFL regular- and postseason since 2000, the team that has blocked a punt in a game has a winning percentage of .582 (92-66).

But taking it to the Jets’ level Friday night, when a team blocks a punt AND recovers/returns it for a TD, the winning percentage rises to .675 (27-13).

Then consider HOME teams that score a BPR-TD in a game. Winning percentage: .773 (17-5).

Two Green & White examples that bear these trends out were last year’s McKnight/Isaiah Trufant combo that supplied one of the important pieces to the opening-night 27-24 win over Dallas, and the Jamie Henderson/Chris Hayes tag team at Carolina in 2001 that produced the Jets’ only TD in their 13-12 win over the Panthers, a.k.a. the Shrek Game.

Game Notes

Tebow was the game’s top rusher with 34 yards on four scrambles. He’s the first QB to top the Jets in rushing yardage in a preseason game since Ray Lucas had 42 yards on five runs in the 1998 summer opener at Green Bay. … There were extenuating circumstances — injuries to WRs and on the OL — but the bottom line is that the Jets’ 57 net passing yards (including sacks) vs. the Bengals was their fourth-lowest total in a preseason game since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger.

Training camp at SUNY Cortland is dwindling to a precious few days. Sunday’s practice, open to the public, is scheduled to start at 10:15 a.m. Monday is closed, Tuesday and Wednesday are open and both start at 8 a.m. Thursday is closed and then the Jets break camp later that day, take Friday off, then host the defending Super Bowl champion Giants at MetLife Stadium on Saturday night.

Tags: , , , , , ,

66 Responses to “McKnight’s a Diamond in the Cincy Rough”

1. By GaryC on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

Rexy is already in the excuse making when it comes to Scott,he says his technique was off and that is why he didn’t cover the back,oh well,I guess it is back to see if “cant wait” can make an open field tackle.

2. By scjoe on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

First I will start with the same ol cliche “I know it is only the first pre season game” BUT…Last season, and the previous two, I was convinced it was not the OC and the scheme that was the problem on offense, it was more the personnel. The personnel has not changed drastically, the OC and the scheme has. The results? The same. I am convinced MS is not the answer, but worse then that, there is still no answer re: the b/u position should he go down. The only “viable” b/u Tim Tebow, is playing on STs. Tell me, how ludicrous is that?

3. By scjoe on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

You try not to be that “same ol Jet fan” you try to stay positive, then you watch a debacle like last night. The offense, just like the past few years, could not get out of their own way. The O line was just plain awful, the RBs, except for McKnight, playing against the 2s & 3s were non existent. All the usual problems and the usual suspects, yet little or nothing was done to address them. What I see at this point is, the defense will be pretty good, but not good enough to carry this team.

4. By danny on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

Mcnight needs to keep it up because we need him to play more then just 3rd down. He’s our best RB rite now. Greene should be giving Mcnight breaks and be our power back and especially with our horrible O line we need Mcnight to hit the whole fast because openings dont last long with our O line. Greene is to slow so he will get clogged up all the time running between the tackles, The funniest when they run the toss to slow Greene. Man I was so excited for this season and even tho it was preseason I lost all the faith I had for a big yr. I hope they can chqnge that in the next few weeks and give me hope again

5. By Ronald T on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

The best QB was Greg McElroy. The best WR was Patrick Turner. The best RB was Tim Tebow. That better change.

6. By BillsJets on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

If this game was about Rex showing off his new slim waist line then the Jets did good, but if this game was about winning a football game then it was the same old Jets. Getting sacked instead of sacking a QB, bragging about being defensive minded and giving up more yards then the Jets gaining yards. Tebow the only bright spot on offense. Rex starting with his excuses again, and it didn’t matter if certain players were healthy or not the Jets would have still lost. Coples was the only bright spot on D. Good Luck Jets!!!

7. By wayne on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

All the question Marks are still, well, question Marks…..I have been a Mcknight supporter all along, but I maintain my opinion that if given too many touches, he’ll lay the ball down, lots. I have never seen Powell in action since I don’t watch Jets games anymore, but it sounds to me like he’s going to be a good solid dependable back……With the offense looking to be as awful as it’s been in quite some time, the defense already taking verbal and physical shots at them , while Rex tells us he’s in control of things even as guys continue to show none, if Rex is not careful and this thing goes south and gets ugly he’ll be gone.

8. By danny on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

scjoe what did MS do last nite that made u see he def is not the answer ??? That’s ridiculous he did fine in his time. Rodgers would have gotten sacked twice just like he did and what about when he avoided a sack and stepped up in the pocket ? AS far as OC u can’t judge a preseason game and say it';s the same because the offense runs a few plays and is vanilla. With Shotty the reg season and his offense is vanilla that’s why it looked the same. Can’t judge OC til season starts but with this O line no OC or QB can look good. It’s sickning our O line has not been fixed

9. By danny on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

Also Tebow is no way a viable BU QB so yeah he should be playing special teams and running wildcat because he is no way and never will be a NFL 1st, 2nd or 3rd string QB. He can run the ball great but throws worse the a HS JV QB. Face reality with Tebow he stinks at QB. Yeah he had some nice runs last night which only proves he can help us running the football but def not running our offense if MS goes down cause he can;t throw the ball. Mac needs to be the backup QB if MS goes down if we expect to compete with other NFL teams

10. By FLPete on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

Dont be s harsh of the Offense guys… Cincy has a top 10 Defense that is very stingy against the run….Sure the group didnt look sharp but some of the credit for that has to be given to the Cincy D… On the other hand, i agree with you Scoe about Sanchez, though he garners all the traits of a good play-action QB I have grown WEARY of the deer in headlights look he has at the beginning of games… Lets built a scheme around Tebows strengths and move on…

11. By FLPete on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

Let the critics say what they may, but when other teams build schemes for their scrambling QBs (Panthers/Niners/ Eagles/ Redskins) the coaches are considered geniuses… im sure Sporano has the creativity to do the same with Tebow… everyone wants a Brady, Breeze, or Manning but out of 32 teams only 5 has Qbs of that calibor. Lets make the most of what we have… Oh yea, Get rid of the slow guys on D Rex… Bellore, Pace, Smith, Mcintyre. Call Ozzie Newsome, he seems to has a knack for bringing FL talent to Baltimore… (Hint/Hint) Get some Swagg on this Team!

12. By Mike Jet Vet on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

Rex was upset at Cincy’s blocked punt o/line not AT FAULT ? Really that’s it ,Rex News flash . your not going to beat anyone and your correct even in Pop Warner, playing the way they did last night.. FYI without that blocked punt, same result a loss only 10-6 instead of 17-6 …O/line is horrible , McKnight great kid but , he can’t carry this team, I seem to remember last year he couldn’t carry his lunch on the practice field.. Sanchez again is a great kid but he’s regressing.. I’m not going to give this team a pass sorry Randy, With the coaches we have on this team, and their experience collectively, There just isn’t any more excuses….

13. By danny on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

Ryan Grant is a free agent we should sign him. We need a Veteran back who can pass block with this poor O line. He is also a better RB then Shonne Greene. I would rather have Grant and Mcnight share the load

14. By Jimmer on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

Was there anything anyone saw positive about the OL last night? We could’ve had Jerry Rice and Michael Ervin at wr, Marino at QB, and Barry Sanders in the backfield and would have looked pitiful. If I were MS, I might request a trade.

15. By Bennett on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

WE got the new and improved 2.0 version of Sanchez, we got the Tebow, we got the Sporano. we got the solid draft, we got the humbler version of the Rex and the score 6 points ? Against the Bengals ? Whats with the special team? They looked flat , confused and dare I say it POORLY COACHED. Cannot get a touchdown ? Against the Bengals ? Are we going to hear all year again “we have to get better” and the never do anything to get better ? I know pre-season, got to get the rust out, we have many bright spots. give em a chance, only played a quarter with the boys, stop the hate, can we all just get along etc, etc… Only saying I had a bad feeling with last years pre-season…. had a bad feeling watchung this 1st game

16. By mike on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

I can’t believe they didn’t make an attempt to fix the o-line in the offseason. Let’s hope the defense can return to 2009 form. Not too excited about the team this year but I’m holding out hope we haven’t really seen what they can do yet it’s only preseason.

17. By scjoe on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

Danny, do you really believe that my assessment of Mark Sanchez is based solely on what he did last night? Do you think that years 1,2 and 3 (especially year #3) had anything to do with it? You talk about a “vanilla” offense because it is pre season game #1. I can make the argument that Cincy was playing a “vanilla” defense as well. You say MS “did fine in his time” that is setting the bar pretty low Danny, wouldn’t you agree? Aside from all of that, I did blame the entire offensive unit in general, not just Mark Sanchez. But lets remember, he is the QB, he is the “leader”

18. By scjoe on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

Re; Tony Sparano, Danny? I am not going to say “the jury is still out on him” I am going to say the jury just got seated. Of course it is way to early to critique him as an OC. What I am saying, and what I have already said, is this “offensive” offense of the NY Jets is not due to the scheme or the coaching staff, it has more to due with the personnel. Bottom line, if anyone (Jet fan or not) who has followed this team for the past 3 plus years can not conclude that this offense has major, major flaws, has not been watching the same offense as I have.

19. By scjoe on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

One more counter point Danny. You say that Tebow is not a “viable” QB. Well guess what, he IS the b/u QB by default, viable or otherwise. That said, what other team do you know of, now or at any time, that plays their b/u QB on STs? Yes he is athletic, yes he could play the TE position, yes he is great running with the ball in his hands, but the fact remains, he IS the b/u QB. Again, what happens if MS goes down for the year in pre season or early in the reg season? Who becomes the starter?

20. By Mike Jet Vet on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

Some look at the glass half full that’s fine, nothing wrong with that, But in this situation. whom ever really believes, Jets were holding back and not clueless at what Cincy threw at them are kidding more then themselves.

21. By scjoe on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

Based on what I seen in the Cincy game, here is what I would LOVE to see in the upcoming Giant game (but know it will never, ever happen) and that is Greg McElroy getting significant playing time with the #1s. I would love to see exactly what this kid can bring to the table given a little more time to make reads, go through his progressions, and make the throws with the 1s. I got a feeling it just may stir the pot and raise some new questions.

22. By Jake on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

I can’t blame Sanchez for last night. He had no time to get the ball out with the backs missing protection pick-ups and who could have guessed the RT position is horrible… everyone. The biggest thing for Sanchez I thought was, and this is a common theme in why his development has been slow, he once again didn’t have a wide-out he has has a repor with for more than a training camp. Holmes and Kerley were both out. Well, Turner was in and Sanchez looked sharp when throwing to him. I thought Sanchez’s ball had the most zip on it then I’ve ever seen. The D-line looked solid, still some holes like always in the coverage over the middle, but this season comes down to the O-line getting better or failing

23. By Karan on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

This O-line will mess it up for the Jets. Why the Jets haven’t done a single thing to make this line better, I’ll never understand. Was it financial troubles?? What else could it be? You give Mark a chance to throw the ball, and he will do it well. For the people already doubting this team and Sanchez, please stop, it’s the first game of the PREseason. They’ll learn from this and continue to learn the new offense. Sparano didn’t reveal a lot of offense. Only thing that concerns me is this offensive line. Looks like Mark’s going to get to close to being sacked 39 times again this season.

24. By IRA on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

From the Cincy game i look at a few things. Coples was a good surprise and Ellis played very well. As for McKnight they must find a way to get him the ball in open space all year. He is not an everydown RB but will make plays if you can get him that open space. On the downside well lets just say they have some issues that we hope they can fix before the opener. I will stand pat and continue to say they will have a hard time scoring pts with their current roster accross the board on offense. Expect a trade for someone.
    GO JETS!!!!

25. By wayne on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

Ira, thank you for the feedbackt on Coples. If I believe Spicer, he was a wasted pick…..As for McKnight, I agree. Very dangerous in special situations. Based on what he’s been doing and saying, doubt he’ll be anything more.EVER…..Footballwise….What we know about this defense from this summer is that they are fed up with this offense. With Rex unwilling to lay down the law and let guys know who’s in charge, it’s looking like there’ll be much fireworks…….” I got this” from Rex will only serve to focus on the fact, when it blows up, that he DOESN’T GOT THIS. That will not bode well for him. His leadership skills will become the point of contention……Won’t be able to use last year’s excuse…………………..

26. By wayne on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

NOT BEING ABLE TO ACQUIRE PLAYERS BECAUSE OF SALARY CAP ISSUES IS ONE MAN’S FAULT………THAT WAS HIS PRIMARY JOB…..HE’S FAILED MISERABLY AT IT…..they can’t even acquire free agents…………………..THE CHEAP ONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

27. By wayne on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

The QB is not the problem it seems. He’s come in big and strong and is zipping the ball. No blocking(you guys let Ferguson off the hook for what reason I do not know). No running. Little receiving. The question becomes; do the NYJ have the defensive personnel to win games 12 – 9? In my humble(ha!) opinion, yes, just enough of them to make the playoffs.

28. By Mike Jet Vet on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

What constantly puzzles me is this , Why make comments without taking action, one example and maybe it’s just me… Rex states getting back to ground and pound is what he’d like to do. priority one per say ..Really? so why are players like Payton Hillis and Cedric Benson, out there floating around, as usual we show no interest.Yet the Chiefs and Packers scoop them up… Please don’t insult me with cap issues.. My solution , Just don’t let Revis Black mail us yet one more time.. let him Honor one of his contracts …

29. By SCfromNY on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

A lot of good teams had poor first games. I hope that is all it is or it’s going to be a long season. My biggest issue is that you could have cut and pasted the comments, especially Sanchez’s from last year. Scott still slow, Smith injured again, poor throws, where is the speed, and did all the OL take lessons from Hunter this off season? Yeah Tebow ran well. Big whoop. If they want to be winners they better show more against the Giants next week. There will be no excuses. The Giants OL is suspect as well as the secondary. If the Jet’s Ol plays like it did against the Bengals the Giant DL will eat them alive.

30. By Mike Jet Vet on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

CONT> Revis type contracts are one reason this team can’t go out and pick up Blue chippers or elite free agents.. Riddle me this, NE draft looks and reads like 0-15 year in and year out with amounts they finagle …. teams likes Packers, Eagles, lions, San Fan, Saints Steelers are loaded why should they be any different then us.. Reason these teams as an example some are elite and some bottom feeders,Anyone getting my point.. Maybe it’s time to look at Management we can only play the cards we’re dealt ..

31. By ron alexander on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

IRA, as always “the wise sage” thanks for helping me take a deep breath,relax and try to look for the positives! I agree with your most recent comments100% I think its time to take the gloves off Coples and see what he can do against the opposing teams #1’s.KARAN, the answer your looking for is incompetence!The reason Tannenbaum did nothing to fix our most glareing O.L. weakness is he is clueless!We are currently 6million under the cap so its not about the money.Did you read my prevous post about what he did to starting L.G Matt Slauson? If not its under the Eric Smith post. JAKE, ya gotta tune out Buttle, he is stealing money dude. He blamed the R.B for the 1st sack. It was Slauson who missed the block!

32. By GaryC on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

why so secretive when it comes to gameplanning in exhibition,If the jets are succeeding in practice,that is only because they are running passing plays against Scott,Thomas,Pace and Smith in practice,try it in the exhibition season against teams that have speed at linebackers,then you really know what you have to work on.the offense will have a false sense of security running passing plays against the snail crew.

33. By danny on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

Scjoe you are another fan in denail that our O line hurt Sanchez’s devopment last yr and we seen the same exact thng friday nite. The kid can’t make plays for us on his back. As fot Tebow and our BU QB well I think deep inside Rex knows he is not our BU and just a wildcat special player and that is why he is playing special teams, He says it a million times Tebow is a football player. Ur asklng me who our backup is and I said it already Greg Macalroy will fill in long term if MS goes down. Tebow can’t run a pro offense cause he can’t throw the football. Tebow will keep his role while Mac takes over. I believe by Rex playing Tebow on specials he feels the same as i do about TT

34. By danny on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

Yes scjoe MS played fine the other night so that is not lowering my standards at all. He threw the ball well when he had a chance, he alluded yet another sack and ran for a 1st down. Now twice he was sacked in 2 series and if we had Montana out there for those series he would have been sacked too. You have to be realistic here no QB has a chance on his back with our O line playing like friday night and all of last season. If we dump MS next yr after another awful yr of O line play I wouldn’t be suprised to see him go to a team like the Cards and do well with good O line play. There is a good chance that can happen if we don’t fix our o line and all you ppl blaming it all on MS will then rip our front office for getting rid of him

35. By danny on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

One more thins scjoe no Cinci D was not vanilla if you watched they were throwing blitzes at us we never seen before. Rex even said this morning he will steal some of those blitzes. Marvin asked Rex not to run the wildcat but then came at us with exotic blitzes

36. By Jack on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

So much for the ground and pound once again this season if you have no offensive lines you have no running game. Jets can have Curtis Martin or John Riggin behide this line and they won’t be able to run the ball. How long has it been now we all knew that the jets needed a RT, and Mr T & Rex refuse to address this issue.

37. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

Tons of work and continuing computer problems are cutting into my posting time, but I’ll just say that I’m grateful for the good moments from Coples and McKnight, most of the rest of the game looked like a typical inept-offense Jet preseason game of the kind we’ve gotten used to under Rex, and Tebow looked exactly as useless as I suspect he’ll be all year. Still love his attitude, though.

38. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

And welcome back, Mike Jet Vet!

39. By scjoe on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

MJV, I think I can answer all of your questions with just two words M-I-K-E T-A-N-N-A-N-B-A-U-M!!! He should not be allowed final say on personnel issues PERIOD That distinction should fall on someone who knows talent, is able to judge and evaluate talent, and one who is able to look at the roster, identify the weaknesses, and proceed accordingly. That means if the RT was hands down the weakest link on the roster, you make it a priority to go out and address it in the off season. Did that happen? Instead Mike proceeded as if RT was a strong point.

40. By Mike Jet Vet on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

Thanks bud good to be back

41. By Mike Jet Vet on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

Here’s one solution, I know most here won’t like it ,so beit , TRADE Revis for 3 reasons, 1st, so he can’t blackmail us yet again this year ..second reason, Supposedly we have the best corner in the league. yet we’re always ranked somewhere around last in pass defense what good is he ?,, third .Trade for needs we have many.. He’s already having hammy troubles should we wait until he bleeds us dry and becomes no use. I say NO use him like he used us . he’s worth more in trade to this team then moving us forward

42. By stupidheimer on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

to mike jet vet:
    I don’t know where you are getting your stats from the jets were ranked 5th against the pass last year. 6th in 2010 and 1st in 2009.

but anyway. jerricho cotchery would sure look good on the jets right now. worst thing tanny did in last few years was let him go. second worst was letting steve weatherford go. if those two players were on the jets right now we would be in much better situation than we are now. how you are going to be a defense first ground and pound team and let your best possession receiver and punter go is really strange. i know its old news and no way we are getting weatherford back, but if the steelers finally sign wallace they are packed at WR and may let cotchery go or be willing to trade for little.

43. By BillsJets on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

I wish that the Jets Coaching staff would stop treating the Jet Players like Royality especially when it comes to pre-season games. In my eyes there are no first string players. Preseason is the place where players need to prove themselves. I hate it when I see the so called first team on the side line after the first quarter acting like they are special, like being too good to be in the game once the first quarter is over. Shoot, keep in the O line and a Sanchez and a Shonn Greene until they prove themselves. Also, where’s the passing game gone to. Are the Jets able to throw further than 15 yards down the field, and let’s stop with the Vanilla crap, how about using Coconut and Tootie-Fruity to explain the Jets this year.

44. By scjoe on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

Danny, I guess we have a difference of opinion on what constitutes “playing well” I don’t think that 4 of 6 for 21 yards is exactly tearing the house down. That is why I used the “setting the bar low” analogy. I am one of the first to criticize the O line any chance I get, so I am not exactly “in denial” as you suggest. But at some point the QB (no matter which one) has to share some of the responsibility in this lack of offense that we have been subjected to for the past three seasons now.

45. By scjoe on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

Danny, yes, technically I guess you could call what the Bengals did “blitzing” but remember this, all of their sacks came from the front 7 and out of the standard 4-3 front. Not quite sure what Rex was referring to about their blitz packages because I didn’t hear the quote. Did you see any exotic blitz packages? Because I sure didn’t. What I saw was pressure from their front 7 that, 1-our O line, RBs and TEs could not answer, or 2- something I know you will not want to hear, our QBs could not beat. I will say something I have said repeatedly, would Peyton Manning have taken 5 sacks?

46. By John ,40 year fan on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

Our O line looks like absolute garbage …Swiss cheese …holes everywhere ..I am extremely worried ..We used to have the best o line in football ..Now that seems like long ago ..

47. By John ,40 year fan on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

Oh and another thing , For God sakes can our tight end pick up[ a block ??

48. By John ,40 year fan on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

On the bright side ,….Coples was an animal out there…That guy is unbelievable . He is in on every play …

49. By John ,40 year fan on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

We are about to see total exposure against the Giants..That is a well coach good team …They might drop a forty burger on us …

50. By Royal Prints on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

Not a good start for a team claiming to atone for last seasons sins. Didn’t see anything from the offense, except for McKnight. Can Snchez throw the ball past the line of scrimage? Doesn’t seem so. I know it’s just pre-season but teams usually don’t look horrible in the pre-season and then turn it on for the real deal. Jets offense is worst I’ve seen in long time. Bubby Brister was better.

51. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

Actually, MJV, while you were away I wrote a very similar post about why we should trade Revis now for as much as we can get rather than just feel good about having the best CB in the NFL for a few more mediocre yrs (for the team, not Revis) and watching him sign with the Steelers. Royal Prints, thanks for making that pt again that some of us have also been making for the last few preseasons that if you look dreadful in the summer, you’re not likely to look great in the winter.

52. By ron alexander on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

DANNY & S.C.J, as you two are both astute passionate true Jet fans its great to hear both of your thoughts on last week. Although you disagree on Sanchez its clear you both have the pulse on the rest of the 3 ring circus in Cortland.I’ve said this before but please allow me to reiterate, we are stuck with Sanchez this year! Unless he is injured we will no doubt find out what he is made of. Like you Danny I think he has been unfairley judged to date. However, this year is gonna have to be a put-up or shut up year for M.S. As I have said, lets hope he is up to the task. As we are offensively challanged as a result of Tanny’s incompetence it will be up to M.S to make those around him better. Did anyone catch Oliver Luck’s debut last week? Wow!

53. By ron alexander on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

S.C.Joe, thanks for stepping up about Tannenbaum. i dont know if Woody Johnson would be curious enough to know what the fans are thinking to read Randy’s blog but if he did it would be our duty to clue him in on Tanney! i watched a lot of the other teams play this week and our lack of talent really stood out! Philly has like 8 pass rushers better than any one we have! How does that happan? Its funny how I keep reading how we have to hope other teams cut players for us to pick up? How pathetic is that? Dont we pay a G.M. to draft players and sign productive F.Agents in the off-season? Other than being a bean-counter can anyone here tell us what exactly what Tannenbaum does? I still cant believe what he did to M.Slauson last weel?

54. By kleckofan on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

My humble opinion:
    Tannenbaum always was and still is over his head, he’s an executive, a salary gap guru was his claim to fame, NOT AN EVALUATOR. Our team will not be right and viable until Woody realizes and fixes this.
    Sanchez, Hunter, Schottenheimer, Cavanaugh, Greene, Pace, Smith, Cotchery, Woodhead, Feeley etc (see above)
    almost forgot…Tebow
    BTW, looked like Andrew Luck doesn’t suffer from having to “shake off the rust” in what I’m sure was a vanilla offense; maybe rookies don’t get rust.

55. By danny on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

Scjoe I did say exotic which was a lil much but I meant like the Slauson missed block which was a good blitz but as Ron said Slauson gotta see it and release his double and pick the LB up. Powel did his Job it wasn’t his fault but as to MS stats this game it was due to only 2 series and sacked twice. U know I feel MS has had trouble due to our poor line and Shotty’s poor play calling but I do agree with Ron that he must somehow pick it up this yr. He is our guy no matter what this yr so my hope is he does pick it up but if our O line don’t improve he’s not gonna do much better. It’s sad that every time he drops back you see all the pressure coming and man I seen bad lines thru the yrs on the NFL level but I can’t remember any this bad

56. By danny on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

I agree on Tanny he may be a salary cap guru but evaluating talent and what guys are worth he def is not. How he cut Maybin last yr after we all seen the talent I was shocked. Thank God we resigned him as he is our only pure pass rusher and damn good at it, I seen Ron talk about what he pulled with Slauson and is he kidding or what ?? i mean the dude played hurt all yr last yr and he has done a solid job for us not great and he is not great but solid so to ask him to take a pay cut from his already low salary or he is cut is just classless, Guys like Maybin and Slauson are guys u want on ur team and they come cheap. He don;t know talent so he don’t understand this. Giving Wayne Hunter 2.5 mil but asking Slauson to take a cut really??

57. By SCfromNY on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

Just thinking about other guys you want on the team. I watched the Dallas/Raiders last night. Having always been a Jets/Giants fan Dallas is the same as the Pats to me. They have had busts, poor drafts, and terrible trades like Roy Williams but their defense is young and fast. I was really impressed with the way they hit and closed. Giving young fast guys a chance to show what they have and evolve. At this point our only true LB anyone else would want is Harris. I think this is a combo of Tanny being infatuated with name players and Rex liking his old players. Belichic may get rid of guys to quick and his defense has suffered BUT while being horrible they allowed a lot less points than the 5th ranked Jets defense.

58. By Jet Blue on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

Let’s not forget about the Favre experiment for Tanny’s resume. He needs to go, Rex needs to go, Sanchez needs to go. Woody has got to see the way this team has declined from the one Rex inherited three years ago. We all hate the Patriots but you must give them their due. Every year they are a SB contender and it’s not just because of Tom Brady. Even with one of the worst defenses, yardage wise, they made it to the SB, and almost won. Nobody who knows football is giving the Jets a chance at anything more than an 8-8 season this year. Not with Rex being unable to devise a game plan each week, and certainly not with Sanchez at the helm completing passes behind the line of scrimage. Rookie QBs outplayed Sanchez last year. Same ol’ Jets.

59. By scjoe on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

Danny, I watched the game again last night and slow mowed a few of the sacks, there is enough blame to go around throughout the offensive unit, including Keller who has proved Rex wrong about his improvement as a blocker. On one of the Sanchez sacks he was not even hit, just barely touched, but he went down. That one I would have to say is on him. But overall if they go with this group in to the regular season they will not be able to compete with the NEs, Pitts, and Balts of the world. Thank you Mike Tannenbaum.

60. By ron alexander on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

S.CJoe, it looks like the the media is finally picking up on what we here on Randy’s blog have been saying for quite a while now.Tannenbaum has gotten a free pass for way too long and its definately catching up to the team and now to him.Herm Edwards pointed him out as a big part of the jet problem. Collon Cowart on ESPN too.I’m still curious to hear your thoughts(and Ira’s too) on the way Tannenbaum treated Matt Slauson last week?I’m sure you read a few of my posts on this so you know how I feel.I cant believe 64, GARY.C,. S.C fron N.Y havn’t pipped in on this one yet either?

61. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

Best posts of the YEAR, danny, on Mr T re Slauson, and Jet Blue, on how Woody needs to dump Mr T, Rex, and Sanchez — though I’ll slightly differ in that I’ll give Sanchez 7 or 8 more starts. Mr T and Rex I’d show the door yesterday. (Rookie QBs outplayed Sanchez last WEEK!) And Woody might want to step down himself and hand the team over to Curtis Martin and a bunch of investors, too. As for Slauson, ron a, I’ve been crazed with work so I just read about it today.

62. By Tom Spicer on Aug 15, 2012 | Reply

SCJoe, I know exactly the paly you are talking about Rey Malalagu came at Mark on a MLB blitz & Snachez went down quickly so he wouldnt get blasted. But sorry that is not on him & it is amazing that you can say it is on him. Do you not think the QB should have more than 2 seconds to throw? Cause thats how long it took for the defender to be hitting him. I dont know what you expect of a QB but I expect any line in the NFL to be able to pick up that blitz & to give there QB more than 3 seconds to throw!

63. By gmany3k on Aug 15, 2012 | Reply

I guess the hardest thing for me is to get to know who is who with what # jersey belongs to who and where did whats his name go.no stress , I will just sit back and let the game come to me. maybe even turn down the volume the whole season and enjoy the game . Because it makes no difference what we think we know and who we like as a coach or a GM or an Owner we have a game to watch with the personnel that gets on the Field . My last thought is we need to invest in the human cloning Machine and clone anyone we think is better than our player and put him out there lickety split . :)

64. By GANGGREEN on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

MAURICE JONES-DREW HAS JUST REQUIRED A TRADE FROM THE JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shonn Greene is a great running-back but he just is not explosive enough. The NY Jets need explosive weapons on offense, all they have is Santonio Holmes.The Jets need a explosive running-back, because Shonn Greene as much as I like him he isn’t a ELITE running-back, and Joe McKnight is JUST a good kick returner, and Billal Powell is just NOTHING. So the Jets need to trade for Maurice Jones-Drew. Pocket Hercules, is explosive, a hard runner, fast, powerful, and strong. Exactly the guy that the Jets need right now too ground and pound the football. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBAYPk7gC4o this video had MJD32 highlights.

65. By SCfromNY on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

Completely agree with GaryC about MJD. He needs a better line or there will be no difference between him and Greene. Also he has a lot of miles on him and many hits. The Jets need to stop looking at players without much gas in tank: Jones, LT, Farve, and Rex’s old players. I will continue to say that there must be something wrong with the Jets to fall so far so quickly. Last year we started out thinking Sanchez was Brady and it was 2005 for Plax along with LT on his last legs. This year should be better even with Sanchez although if he remains the same timid, inaccurate, whining, and leaderless QB everything is lost. Maybe the wholeteam is tired of the love affair with Tebow and think they are being overlooked for a semi backup QB.

66. By SCfromNY on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

Also the only 2 coaches in the NFL so in love with “ground and pound” are Rex and Sporano. The 49ers were successful running a lot and the first thing they did was try to sign Peyton. I don;t think Peyton is very good running the ball. It’s 2012 and we need a QB and WRs to score points. I am not a Sanchez fan but in 2009 and 2010 he stood in the pocket and made some nice throws under pressure and in crunch time. Did last year crush him forever? Based on what I have seen preseason it could go either way.