• Sat., Nov. 01, 2014 3:00 PM - 3:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Sun., Nov. 02, 2014 11:30 AM - 11:50 AM EST Live Jets Talk LIVE: Pregame Get your most compreshensive game preview as Jets Insiders Eric Allen and Amanda Pflugrad are joined by Herbie Teope of Chiefs Digest in Kansas City. JTL kicks off at 11:30 a.m. from Arrowhead Stadium.
  • Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Tue., Nov. 04, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Extra Point – Only on SNY

• Wed., Nov. 05, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Extra Point – Only on SNY

• Thu., Nov. 06, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Fri., Nov. 07, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Sat., Nov. 08, 2014 10:00 PM - 10:30 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 10, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

Revis Talks About Role in ESPN’s New MNF Spot

Posted by Randy Lange on August 12, 2012 – 2:39 pm

Updated, 3:51 p.m. ET

Are you ready for some football? Darrelle Revis always is, and he’ll help get Jets Nation ready as well when ESPN airs its new Monday Night Football spot that features No. 24 along with several other players and one owner during the day Monday.

“I’m just going to take it in stride,” Revis told me after today’s midday training camp practice at SUNY Cortland. “They want to feature several guys and I was there with a bunch of guys a few months ago. We just chopped it up and had a great time.”

The other players involved in this spot are Texans RB Arian Foster, Eagles RB LeSean McCoy and Patriots TE Rob Gronkowski. The owner is noted Cowboys wallflower Jerry Jones.

As you can tell from the image in our centerpiece (courtesy of ESPN Images), there will be a Revis Island-y kind of theme for Darrelle’s latest national exposure, which will first be viewable on ESPN Front Row and then later tomorrow on the network.

“We have had great participation from Jerry Jones and a number of NFL players this summer and we appreciate the time they gave us during their offseason,” said ESPN Marketing senior director Seth Ader. “Their involvement really speaks to our new tagline that ‘It All Comes Down to Monday Night’.”

Revis had one very big Monday night in 2011, his Game 6 home showing vs. Miami when he defensed four passes, two of them interceptions and one of them his much-discussed and celebrated 100-yard return vs. Matt Moore and Brandon Marshall. That was by far the biggest performance of the six Monday appearances in his career, but despite that and this year’s MNF spot, Revis isn’t treating Monday night’s any differently than he always has.

“It’s just another game on the schedule that you prepare for,” he said. “It is more hyped up. That and Sunday night football, they’re probably the most hyped games to play because you’re center stage so that pressure does come with it. Monday night, I don’t try to focus in on the hype. I just try to look forward to it as another game, just execute and do my job.”

Revis Rings Up Bell and Coples

Revis passed around praise for some defensive mates in the wake of the loss in Cincinnati on Friday night. On safety Yeremiah Bell’s Jets debut, he said, “I think it went great for him. Yeremiah called the plays when he was in Miami, so he’s comfortable with that, he’s used to that. So even though Eric [Smith] went down, we know Yeremiah can step in and call the plays.”

And on DE Quinton Coples’ impressive debut in green and white: “Well, he’s the No. 1 pick. We drafted him there for a reason. He showed why he’s a No. 1 pick. He made a lot of plays out there, he had a great game. There’s still a learning curve, he has a long way to go, but I think he’s going to do great wonders for us this year.”

And on the game in general: “There were a couple of mistakes out there, but overall I think the coaches were satisfied with the effort by the defense and the offense as well. There’s a couple of things we need to clean up but I think we’re going on the right path.”

We’ll have Darrelle’s remarks about their upcoming home preseason opener against the Giants at MetLife, along with comments from a bunch more Jets, later this week.

Rex Cetera

Ryan touted the play of RT Austin Howard, filling in for Wayne Hunter at Cincinnati: “Anyone that can play the way he played is trying to tell you something and you have to find a way to get him out there. … He is driving and finishing. That’s what we’ve been talking about and I’m really encouraged by him.”

Ryan on his injuries: Hunter (back) returned to practice. WRs Santonio Holmes (rib) and Jeremy Kerley (hamstring) remain out. Of Kerley, the coach said, “Hopefully by the end of the week we’ll be able to see him out there on the practice field.” S Eric Smith (shoulder/knee) didn’t go and is listed as day-to-day.

Practice Notes

CB Kyle Wilson had an active practice this morning, getting one interception on a Tim Tebow tipped pass and another on a good break over the middle on a Mark Sanchez ball in 7-on-7 drills. … Two pretty receptions: Raymond Webber with another grab of a bobbled downfield ball, and Wes Kemp bringing in Greg McElroy’s long ball down the middle with a great leap and fingertip grab. … Sanchez and Tebow each found TE Dustin Keller for TDs. … Jets announced this morning they have waived P Travis Baltz. … Today’s SUNY Cortland practice attendance: 4,257.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

22 Responses to “Revis Talks About Role in ESPN’s New MNF Spot”

1. By ron alexander on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

Well if Austin Howard had such a great game I’d hate to see the coaches tape of the rest of the O.L! I think its time to move on from Fridays “debacle’ as S.C.Joe called it. But one can only wonder what awaits us in the coming months as far as our offence is concerned.This should be a fun week leading up to the Giants. Both teams laid an egg this weekend so I’m sure they will both be looking to show the fans they are not as bad as they looked.

2. By scjoe on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

Ron, it was a “debacle” at best LOL. Maybe it is time I started “setting the bar a little lower” like I accused Danny of. Maybe we all should. All I want to see this week against that “other” NY team is some sort of improvement on the offensive side of the ball. You know, maybe a TD or two. Maybe 125-150 yards passing, maybe cutting the sack total in half. Just some sort of improvement, something that can get the confidence level up a notch for both the team and the fans.

3. By carweezy f on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

I was wondering who the guy wearing number 8 was lol. Its the WR Wes Kemp. Im excited about Jay Richardson on the D-Line . Hopefully he makes the final roster or at least the practice squad. I hope they do a little more on offense this week against the Giants. I would enjoy beating those clowns. GO JETS!!!

4. By Mike Jet Vet on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

Way to go Revis, Nice picture of you with Revis Island flag, .lets hope it doesn’t become your support if and when you pull another Hamstring this year, Just what this team needs, Another bulls eye on us

5. By IRA on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

Ron,
    Everyobdy knows the needs of this team. I can tell you this they ran plays in practice that they didn’t call vs Cincy. The score is not important but the execution was not there and thats not good. Ok then maybe they were getting the rust off. We will seee in the next 2 weeks. Still think they add a player or two before the opener or week 2.
    Howard was carrried on the 53 last year for a reason. If anything maybe the reps he is getting will be good to see if he could be a backup.
    And for all those who care just go back to 1992 when they went 5-0 in the preseason and finished 4-12.
    One thing that bothers me is that Rex says one thing about the QB reps and Sparano says the opposite. That is not a good sign. Time will tell!

6. By Allan O'Dane on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

The NYJ are in BIG trouble if they don’t fix the right side of the O-line. If you want to help your QB you have to build a line to protect him right? what about giving him WR’s to throw too? Now I hear they want Keller to be more involved in run blocking so you take away his strength which is a match up nightmare for most teams and now you want him to be a blocking TE?!.. I don’t get it. In two moves the NYJ could have fixed major issues. Carl Nicks and Colston or even V.Jackson. Just look at what Tampa did to help their QB….We better fix this issue fast fellas…or we are in for a lonnnnnggg season….

7. By FLPete on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

Id like to see RAYMOND WEBBER get his shot, he didnt get any reps in the game and continues to make plays in practice… Come on Coaches, if you are really looking for that Victor Cruz type surprise let these guys show what they can do.. Not saying he is Cruz but the guy is an accomplished college player and his name is being called everyday in practice so with the WR core struggling he deserves the shot… However i do like what i have seen from Jordan White, hes shown that hes a gamer and could replace Kerley or even Holmes if necessary… His injury prone history is the only thing that scares me!!!

8. By Teh Jungleman on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

I might be just delusional, but maybe it is better that a team doesn’t do very good in the preseason, so the coaches can have a better idea of how the team is doing. Unless I’m mistaken, didn’t the 0-16 Lions go 4-0 in the preseason or something?

9. By FLPete on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

Also I love Smitty as a ST captain/player but his lack of athleticism handicaps the Jets Defense tremendously… Sure he knows the defense better than anybody but id rather see the rookies go through growing pains full speed that see him struggle to get in position for a tackle… Hopefully The D will make enough strides during his absence to supplant him in the secondary… I really like ALLEN… Id really like to see the Jets use him like a linebacker in passing situations to improve speed and coverage ability… (HINT) the position he played in college

10. By GaryC on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

Ira, you make a good point about Ryan and Sparano saying the opposite things,I will go one further,what happens if the jets get off to a lousy start and you have two guys like Ryan and Sparano,both strong egos and the offensive crew and defensive crew get into blaming each other for the teams failures,with sparano and ryan who will be the one that the team leads on.

11. By FLPete on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

Randy is Tarren Lloyd getting any reps with on the field? I know he was a late addition but based on his highlights he looks to be the best all around TE on the roster.

12. By Jake on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

I agree ScJoe, I’ll I want to see is improvement Saturday. Wins only mean something to young teams who need confidence in the pre-season. If you look at Peyton Manning’s wins and losses in the pre-season he is probably under 500, because the pre-season is only about getting rust off and setting up and executing plays. We all know the Jets didn’t do any executing on the O side of the ball Friday. So, I would just like the O-line to keep Sanchez up, McKnight get some good runs because the O-line blew JPP and Tuck off the line. And I would like to see the defense contain Cruz. I’m not worried about Nicks, Revis should be on him. We’ll see how our Safety’s and nickle CB’s can defend Cruz. This will be a great test for our D.

13. By ron alexander on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

TJungleman, its one thing to lose pre-season games. Its another thing all together to get man-handled like we did last week. As others here have pointed out, we stunk! I watched most of the other openers on the nfl network an we looked like the worst team in the league last week!Pathetic! FlPete, Dude, you keep bringing up guys with no chance to make the team? I can see your point about Webber, but Tarren LLoyd?The guy never make it on the field this week.What makes you think he’s gonna make the team? He’s like #6 on a 5 man depth chart?IRA, rust is no excuse, Cincy was rusty too and they ran ruff-shod over us.The score should have been a lot worse as we were totally out played!Hey, Cincy lost 3 startes in the 1st qtr and still whipped us!

14. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

Ira, only a guy who’s been a diehard Jet fan as long as you have could find comfort in a yr or 2 when we were lousy in preseason and good in the season. It’s almost touching to me, in a way, like two old(er) men looking back on the illusions of their youth with both fondness and regret. Allan O, I wish I could pull up the emails I wrote last fall/winter in favor of getting V Jackson, and some of the posts that ran in opposition to that move. But I like drafting Hill and White, since we’re not winning any SBs very soon and should build young players. GaryC, great pt about Rex and Sparano as similar types who see the QB situation differently. I still say Sparano would make a good interim HC and the guys in Florham Park who hired him know it.

15. By Mike Jet Vet on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

Allan O’Dane….Mangold and Brick didn’t fair any better, they were run over as well…Gary..Even if this team had a total collapse. I doubt very much Sparano.is going to lay blame on Rex ..come on now ..Take him at least 2-3 years before he has remotely that sort of clout .. I like this story going around, Cincy Coach Marvin Lewis is it ..asked Rex, please don’t throw any exotic or wildcat plays at us.. So he turns around and throws everything defensively at us except the kitchen sink ??Some one is lying or Rex owes Marvin a first class beat down

16. By GaryC on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

mikejetvet, I was only talking about the players siding with one of the two,not each other,you know and I know how players of this generation can be very fickle,look what happened with the jets last year with Holmes and Hunter,If the jets don’t get off quickly it can snowball with this jet crew.

17. By FLPete on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

ron alexander, i challenge you to watch Tarren Lloyd’s college highlights and name a TE on our roster whos better all around… We need a TE of that stature because most of our TE are pass catchers with very little blocking experiences. The only thing Keller has over him is Speed and NFL experience, i understand hes a longshot but im tired of watching our understudies go to other teams and become key Starters…

18. By Mike Jet Vet on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

Jet Fan 64 . fair point you make about Sparano, fact remains he isn’t coaching Miami,, basically for the same reason Schotty isn’t coaching us , But, I’m willing to wait and see, giving him the benefit of the doubt… I hate to sound redundant and feel very strongly, on the subject coaching is not our problem. Rex All D all the time, .Westy, ST’s Callahan,O/L Petine assistant D coach .,Matt C QB coach just to name a few, We’re able to load the gun, our problem no ammo..

19. By ron alexander on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

FL.Pete, Sorry Dude, I didn’t want to ruffle anybody’s feathers here, and I have been advocating for weeks that i want to see the young guys get an opportunity. The problem with this team is that no matter how good Taryn LLoyd, Heyden Smith or any of the other potentially good young players mentioned by you,me and the rest of the gang here, I dont see them getting the opportunity to show what they can do? This administration seems bound and determined to play the older vets in spite of the fact that they continue to show they simply cant get the job done? This team needs a major infusion of youth and speed to be competive but it seems the “powers that be” dont seem to recognize this!

20. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

I said INTERIM HC for Sparano, MJV, not HC. I meant it’s easier to let go of your HC mid-season if you’ve got a guy on the squad who can keep the rest of the year from becoming a disaster than if you don’t. But Sparano would have to perform magnificently at HC for the second half of the season for me to campaign for him as next year’s HC. What we really need, as I said a million times while you were away, is a top-down makeover, starting with Curtis Martin and a bunch of money guys buying the team and making winning our priority. It’s amazing how often NFL fans from Arizona, Minnesota, Alaska, say to me, “Oh, you know Woody Johnson, he’s about headlines on the back page of the New York Post” (THEY know this and folks on this site don’t?!)

21. By scjoe on Aug 15, 2012 | Reply

Ron, along with an infusion of youth and speed on the playing field the NY Jets also need an infusion of football men in the FO. It seems to me that “business men” and cap/financial experts running the FO is not the way to go.

22. By ron alexander on Aug 15, 2012 | Reply

S.C.Joe & 64, amen brother! No doubt Woody craves the attention. Hey, do you guys remember Hard knocks when Woody and Tanney were on the treadmill,riding the stationary bikes and having all the on-air top level discussions? Talk about guys lov’n the spot light? Guys like Tannenbaum who never played the game have no clue what an athlete goes through to make it to the top. To them its strictly a business and their focus seems to be more about promoting than improving this team. sadly, its probably gonna require a disasterous losing season for this organization to finally get the message.