• Wed., Nov. 26, 2014 10:30 AM - 11:05 AM EST Live Jets Talk LIVE

Ring of Honor Inductee Wayne Chrebet will address the media in a Press Conference, immediately followed by Jets Talk LIVE. Former QB Chad Pennington and Adam Beasley from the Miami Herald will join us to talk about the Week 13 Monday Night matchup. Fans can call in at 855-909-5483 or tweet your questions to @eallenjets.

• Wed., Nov. 26, 2014 3:00 PM - 3:15 PM EST Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Wed., Nov. 26, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Wed., Nov. 26, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

• Thu., Nov. 27, 2014 12:30 PM - 1:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY Jets Game Plan is a 30-minute preview show co-hosted by Jeane Coakley and Brian Custer with analysts Ray Lucas and Erik Coleman, providing a comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup.
  • Fri., Nov. 28, 2014 2:00 PM - 2:15 PM EST Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Fri., Nov. 28, 2014 3:30 PM EST Live Coordinators Press Conference Jets Special Teams Coordinator Thomas McGaughey, Offensive Coordinator Marty Mornhinweg and Defensive Coordinator Dennis Thurman will address the media.
  • Sat., Nov. 29, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Tue., Dec. 02, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Mon., Dec. 08, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

BT, J-Rich Take the Whacks, Know They’re Back

Posted by Randy Lange on August 13, 2012 – 1:23 pm

Football is about points and yards, runs and passes, X’s and O’s. But behind those important parts of the game is the human side, such as when a player has been away for a while before absorbing that first hit that snaps him back into reality and the resumption of his career.

Bryan Thomas and Jay Richardson remembered their first hits this summer, similar experiences although Thomas’ came almost a week after Richardson’s.

BT’s welcome-back popper came in the Cincinnati game on Friday night.

“When I was out there, don’t get me wrong, I was nervous, but I had the biggest smile on my face,” Thomas said. “Once I got that first little bang, all the nerves, the butterflies, the anxiety, they went away.

“I haven’t played since Baltimore last year,” he added about the Achilles tear he suffered in Game 4 that he relentlessly rehabbed to get back to this point. “Being out here, being able to bang with the guys, that’s different. When the lights turn and you make your first tackle that you didn’t have in almost a year … when I first went out there, I had to shake the butterflies loose.”

Thomas got the start at OLB vs. the Bengals, played the first quarter and didn’t rack up any numbers. But linebackers coach Bob Sutton said No. 58’s return to active duty has been impressive.

“BT had a great offseason worked hard to rehab from both Achilles and shoulder surgery. He’s come back very well and put in an unbelievable amount of time and effort in,” Sutton said. “I think physically he’s back to maybe even better than he was when he was injured. That’s how hard this guy has worked. And he’s come out here in practice and has performed very well, getting back his routine and his reaction time.”

Richardson: “Oh, Boy, Here We Go”

Thomas is the longest-tenured Jet, beginning his 11th season. Richardson, on the other hand, is tied for being the shortest-tenured Jet with no in-season games in green and white under his belt, just Friday’s “doesn’t-count” game. But JR’s thoughts went back to his first Sunday at SUNY Cortland training camp.

“Honestly, there were more butterflies and nerves for my first full-pads practice after being out for a year and a half,” said the DE, who missed the first half of 2010 due to a knee injury that closed the Raiders portion of his career, then sat out 2011 after the Seahawks released him. “That first time back on the field with pads on, suddenly I was like, ‘Oh, boy, here we go. I haven’t hit anybody in a while.’ Just strapping it up, it was like ‘Wow!’ It’s been a while since I put this on.”

Thomas definitely is still on the radar. Richardson was flying under it this camp — until he entered the game late in the second quarter, put on a blind-side rush and separated Bengals backup Bruce Gradkowski from the ball.

“My first play out there, I get a sack and cause a fumble. I’ll take it. It’s a blessing,” he said. “But I felt good. I’m starting to get more comfortable in this defense, starting to find a role, find my niche here. I think I can bring some pass-rush ability to the table and just run around out there trying to make plays.”

The game can be too short for some of the men who play it. Perhaps for BT and JR, it will allow them to continue their careers and they’ll make some key contributions to the Jets’ defensive effort this season.

As the Cro Flies

Antonio Cromartie got work during position drills with the wideouts at this morning’s closed practice. It was a welcome development for the seventh-year corner, but not exactly a surprising one.

“I’ve been waiting for this opportunity for a long time, to play both ways in the NFL,” Cro said with a smile after the session. “It’s an opportunity to get the ball in your hands, and another challenge. I’ve been asking for it since I was a rookie in San Diego.”

Not to mention his three seasons playing on the Rex Ryan/Mike Pettine defense.

“I bug Rex all the time to put me in on on offense,” he said. “The begging has paid off. Rex is giving me an opportunity to go out there and do it.”

Ryan cautioned Cromartie not to start planning for any 100-yard-game incentives.

“You’re not going to have him learn the entire offense, but maybe a handful of plays,” the coach said at today’s midday news conference. “There’s no reason he can’t do it and he could be a weapon. You see the size and speed he brings to the table. When he gets smacked by a safety, we’ll see if that changes anything.”

One who could be delivering the ball to Cromartie said he liked what he saw today.

“He looks good,” said Mark Sanchez. “DB, receiver, return game — he can do it all. He’s a special athlete.”

Rex Cetera

Ryan took a swipe at personnel people who targeted DE Quinton Coples as a “bust” when the Jets took him 16th in the April draft. “Again I’m sure he’s a bust of a pick. We’ll find out,” the coach said, adding, “The difference is the experts watched the tape. We knew what we were getting. I’m not saying every expert said he was a bust, but we looked 10 sacks the year before as an inside pass rusher — that’s hard to do against air. Obviously he has some traits to be successful.” He compared the measurables for Coples, coming his strong pro debut vs. the Bengals, to those for DE Jason Pierre-Paul, whom the Giants picked 15th in 2010 and who had a monster 16.5-sack season in ’11. “They’re two unusual talents,” Ryan said. “Hopefully Quinton can end up being the same kind of player Pierre-Paul’s been.”

Ryan said four injured key contributors — WRs Santonio Holmes (rib) and Jeremy Kerley (hamstring), NT Sione Po‘uha (back/forehead) and S Eric Smith (shoulder/knee) — will be “real questionable” for Saturday’s preseason home opener vs. the Giants. Kerley was fielding some punts during today’s teams period and could return to practice in a few days. Rex also said of the possibility that Holmes might miss the Sept. 9 opener vs. Buffalo, “I doesn’t see that at all. … He’s getting better. He’s getting treatment, the first guy in a lot of times, the last to leave. He’s trying to get back out there.”

Tags: , , , , ,

61 Responses to “BT, J-Rich Take the Whacks, Know They’re Back”

1. By Allan O'Dane on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

At this point I will take Cro as the second best WR on this team. If the NYJ don’t pick a WR and RT for Mark…then they are setting up sanchez and tebow for failure. I think it’s about time NYJ FO swallow their pride and re-sign plax because this offense does not scare anyone. Defenses are going to play 8-9 guys in the box to stop our running attack because there’s nothing to fear from the WR’s. With that more injuries are sure to happen. Those were the good ol’ days with Faneca and Woody…..sighhhhhhhh

2. By since shea on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

Richardson did look good at DE. Major relief with Coples. With the two of them, Maybin, and the rest rushing the passer, we could have something nice in the making if we work it right. Could have a new look pass rush! Who was responsible for covering those quick slants and other pass plays that Cincy seemed to make at will? Was that our linebackers lack of speed? That looked like last years play as did the aweful O Line play. Our offense looked like last year because of poor protection that really wasnt addressed right. That was the first thing Mark said when interviewed. Would have liked to see Mark go long to the speedy Hill.

3. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

Couples is the only player who impressed me. I feel the defense is greatly improved… As for the offense, we are in trouble. From the looks of things, we are picking up where we left off last year by not being able to get into the end zone. If that does not change, we are in trouble. Even Miami and Buffalo looked better then the “Green Machine”…
    . .

4. By scjoe on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

The Jets defensive personnel and their offensive personnel are like night and day. There will be some tough decisions on the defensive side of the ball when the rosters need to be cut. There will be some good players caught up in the numbers game. Not so with the offense, on the contrary, there needs to be some additions. I just can not see them going in to the season and being competitive if the offensive roster remains status quo. There is no answer to the RT position, there is absolutely no depth along the O line, particularly at center, and the WR position leaves a lot to be desired. There are questions galore about the RBs as well.

5. By ron alexander on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

Geeez, there goes Rex shooting off his mouth again, what a surprise? As happy as all of us here in Jetville are about Coples performance last week,lets keep it real! He played against the 2’s & 3’s. That being said he did in fact play great! If he can do a good job this week i think he could be on his way to a productive season I for one, did not expect.As the Giants also lost Friday night it should be interesting to see how the two teams approach this game.Both coaches hate to loose so I’m hoping they play the 1’s a little more so we can get a better idea where we are at this point.

6. By scjoe on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

With the above being said, best thing we can hope for is a trade or two with an NFC team who is looking for defensive help and has an abundance of offensive talent to bargain with. You know, just the opposite of us.

7. By IRA on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

Holmes and Kerley have to be 100% for the opener or they will really have issues. I would like to see Richardon get reps vs the 1’s and see what he can do. I can’t see them keeping Dixon and Richardson and Dixon has a leg up on him right now.Cro getting reps as a WR well yes he is a very gifted player but i wish they didn’t have to tun to this to get production at the WR position.

8. By scjoe on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

For all of those who had already labeled Coples as the next coming of Vernon Gholston (simply because their height and weight and positions compare) I think this is a good time to rethink that.

9. By scjoe on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

Ron A, you have to remember one thing, yes, Coples did have a lot of snaps against the 2s and 3s, but this guy is a rookie himself. It would be unfair to designate him a 1 at this point. I said it when he was drafted and I will say it again, he will be fine. He will get better and better with reps, practice and playing time. He is NOT Vernon Gholston.

10. By scjoe on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

Ira, no one wants to see their starting CB doubling as a WR. But you know that old saying “desperate times, desperate measures?” These are desperate times for the offense of the NY Jets. No Doubt! Forget the fact that this was only the first pre season game, or they used a “vanilla” offense. I Look at it this way, last years offense was just a shade above pathetic. What have they actually done to upgrade it? Further, last season we had 2 veteran WRs on the outside, this year? One vet (presently injured) and a rookie who’s entire college career consisted of 49 pass receptions. Not good my friend.

11. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

Oh man, Allan, re-sign Plax?! Wait till GaryC gets on his computer later today! since shea, I’m encouraged by the look of the pass rush and tip my hat to Arte who, despite thinking we’d beat the Eagles and the Giants (and of course the Fish) last yr, kept saying that the Giants were going to win the SB because they had the best front 4 in the NFL. Strange that it’s taking so long for Rex to make any real progress on that score, but the CIN game was a start, if a small one…

12. By since shea on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

The score of Saturday’s Giant game is not important, although who needs these obnoxious Giant fans talking more trash to us in our own (shared) house. If the O Line can pass protect and run block, then I think we will be fine. If you see no sacks and some decent runs, then have cause for optimism. Mark will go downfield during this season when given some time. The RB’s will find some holes. And the TT signing will have worked because it got Mark to pay attention.

13. By John , 40 year fan on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

The Jets need to start blocking if they have any aspirations to throw to anyone …The first pre season game was an EPIC FAIL .

14. By GaryC on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

what a joke,cromartie at wide receiver,here is a guy who is a scared to tackle,yet he is going to go out on routes and get blasted by linebackers and safeties.

15. By GaryC on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

please fans let’s give rex a little leaway on his praise of Coples,after Gholston,Kyle Wilson,Coples must seem to him like Mean Joe Greene.

16. By GaryC on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

jetfantom,you are right,when allan mentioned resigning Plastico,I started to come down with the heebee jeebees.say it isn’t so.

17. By Paul N. on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

So happy BT is back, the jets definetly missed him in his absence! I was curious when the jets gambled on Richardson, he has the talent, maybe the jets can find a place for him on the roster. The Jets took a lot of gambles this offseason, Landry, Schilens, Richardson just off the top of my head. If these guys can get healthy AND stay healthy, the payoff could be huge! If not, things could get ugly. I’m still looking for the Jets to pick up some talent off the wire before opening day. Offensive line help, wide receiver, and if possible another veteran safety as insurance. Here’s hoping for better year than last!

18. By danny on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

Scjoe I finally agree with you Coples is a rookie and played awesome vs other rookies and backups but not just awesome he dominated. No reason why he can’t be a very good player in time vs starting NFL talent. I think he will be fine too. I’m not interested in Plax for 2 reasons i think he slowed down and 2 I think he played his part last season with the hole chemistry deal. There is a reason we have 0 interest in him and behind closed doors I;m sure that is one of the reasons. I’m sure he was a moody guy in that locker room. We need Holmes and Kerley healthy for the season and we will be fine at WR, Hill will be good and Turner seems to be on page with MS too but it won’t matter if our O line can’t block anyone. Ughhh

19. By steven on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

Just put Hayden Smith out there and let him catch a few passes. He is 6.7 and fast and all you have to do is throw it 5 yards to him and he will make plays. Put Loyd in there also. He is 6’7 and fast. You don’t need Crowmartie on offense and then he gets hurt because he isn’t used to playing on offense and our dbs are messed up for the season. With two guys who are 6’7 and stephen hill on the along with Tone and Keller, you can’t tell me that you can’t move the offense.

20. By Bennett on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

The first pre-season game was very reflective of how it went last year. Sanchez running around like a chicken with his head cut off, under unrelenting pressure, getting sacked, throwing little dinks and dunks. lots of 3 and outs, ridiculously slow start, NO POINTS scored AGAIN in the 1st quarter. Dumb penalities which are simply the result of bad coaching up and down the line I do not think I will watch the defense playing their hearts out and holding powerhouse offenses to under 20 points while the Jet offense does thier pathetic 3 and out routine and can’t score 20 points. I will tune out if this happens again along with alot of others probably

21. By wayne on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

Coples has already accomplished more than Gholson did his entire Jet career, so that debate is done…..If Cromartie is playing WR, there’ll be trouble on his side of field come time to cover and make tackles..D will be good, but these LBs and Safeties are going to make holding leads very precarious….very….scjoe, problem with the idea about team with offensive abundance helping Jets is other organizations can’t stand Rex and Jets. No way they’ll do anything to help them. No way….Wait a minute, the wildcat is now top secret?…..Has no DC seen this before? Sounds like GQ will be on sidelines alot.

22. By FLPete on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

Guys the Bengals are a top 10 defense… lets not panic about the offense just yet… We are just scratching the surface and trying to build continuity at the same time while in the watchful eyes of the media… I just want to see the team stop shuffling the o-line positions and allow the guys to learn a spot. Vlad should get the nod at the RG spot over Slauson as its gives the lineup more athleticism and power…

23. By Tom Spicer on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

Wayne, I am responding to your comment from the prior post. I never said taking Coples was a wasted pick what I said was this. The Jets needed a pass rushing OLB for there 3-4 more than they needed a D lineman. Look at them its easy to see. Wilkerson, Pohua, Ellis, Dixon & Devito the Jets have a good D line. Now who are there OLB’S? Thomas he is at the end of the line & is not a pass rusher. Pace is 30 & can barely rush the passer he is okay at it. Then Maybin who nobody knows what he will be. He right now is to light to be a everydown OLB in a 3-4. So I stand by what I said Melvin Ingram OLB Chargers based off of the players the Jets have was the bigger need. Just like the Jets needed a right tackle before they needed Tebow.

24. By Karan on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

I agree with you Allan O’ Dane. The Jets have not surrounded Sanchez with the right pieces. Poor kid is going to be heavily criticized again for his play. His play won’t be so good if this O-line does not get legit. Don la Grecca made a great point today on ESPN radio which I never really thought about. He talked about how this offense is designed for Sanchez to not do so great since the front office does not have faith in him and how its designed for Tebow to excel. Eh, I have very mixed feelings about this, I do kind of agree with him. Its just disrescpectful the fact that the Jets did not surround the guy with the right pieces like they did in year 2 of his career. Instead, the get Tebow. I like Tebow, but deep down, regardless of…….

25. By Karan on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

……. of what I’ve said in the past, I do not believe a 2 QB system will work. If Mark does get traded to a different team next season, I guarantee that he will do great there. I hope that NEVER happens, I want him to be a Jet, but honestly, this front office needs some proper guidance. I don’t know who makes the final decisions up there, but so far, they’ve been far off. They’ve seen in the past a good O-line, veteran WRs and a great defense got us to AFC title games. Why they haven’t done anything to return to that form, I’ll never understand. Jason Taylor said after the loss to Pittsburgh in the AFC title game 2 seasons ago ‘that you will never see this group of guys come together ever again on a team’. Unfortunately, he was right.

26. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

I agree that talk of Cro playing WR is a joke, GaryC — but YOU’D actually rather talk about THAT than how useless Plax was/is? I guess if you live long enough, or post on Randy’s Radar long enough, you’ll see everything…

27. By Karan on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

To Mike Tannenbaum:

Vernon Carey
    Stacy Andrews
    Jake Scott
    Jeff Otah
    Kareem McKenzie

Still Available!!

28. By TONY GARCIA on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

preseason guy’s jet fan since 1969.I have said 9-7 will be an improvement possibly 10-6 wild card berth. Will no more about this team after first 4 games.

29. By John , 40 year fan on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

Our front o line looks like the revolving turnstiles for the “A” train …

30. By Karan on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

Well, just read Carey retired a few days back, but that still leaves 4 on the list dang it!

31. By Karan on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

I agree with desperate times, desperate measures, but then why did the Jets not sign a Braylon or even T.O. when they had the chance??

32. By Eli Rodriguez on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

THERE’S A DIFFERENCE OF OPINION BETWEEN REX AND SPARANO– REX WANTS TEBOW MORE INVOLVE AND SPARANO DON’T. M.S.– SORRY DUDE THE FIX IS IN.

33. By Chicago Bob on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

I agree 100% Gary C., Cro is doing a lot of talking but the first time he goes over the middle and gets his clock cleaned, the alligator arms are going to come out. This guy is not exactly what you would call a physical player – just shut your mouth and play your position. Let’s not go overboard on the OL just yet, there are a lot of teams that looked bad on their first game offensively. The Bears OL was laughable against the Broncos and they are considered one of the better teams in the NFC. They are learning a new offense with a new OL coach, it isn’t going to happen right away plus there will be some talent available in the next week or two when cuts start, let’s give it another week before we jump off the bridge.

34. By IRA on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, I said it before camp opened i didn’t like the offensive roster they took to camp. Well camp is almost done and they have to figure in Cro and other gadget plays is not a good sign. I would be SHOCKED if they don’t add a player or two soon. I will say the offense at times did look ok during camp and Keller was a big part and Holmes looked good. But simply that is not enough. Oh yes McKnight gives them some speed in the open field and when healthy Kerley can be a playmaker. But in todays NFL that just might not be enough. I will stand with my earlier comments. The D allows 17 pts a game. How will the offense score 20?

35. By GaryC on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

jetfantom, I am not talking Plastico because he is like yesterday’s newspaper,old news,like clowney,oh by the way,who I saw drop a pass this weekend.Cromartie at wide out isn’t much to say either.As for Slauson getting a pay cut,I wonder if this has anything to do with Callahan leaving,jets are giving it to Slauson.

36. By Allan O'Dane on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

64’Tom & GaryC, When I look at this Offensive line-up I just don’t see where we put fear into the opposing defenses. Look, everyone who knows football knows that you need that 1 guy to stretch the field. You need to keep defenses honest at times during the game. Holmes does not have blazing speed and kerley is a slot WR. Keller can be a matchup problem but if we are running ground and pound he won’t be effective. Can you imagine what keller could be say in a offense like the Saints? Remember when Bret was healthly Keller was having a great year. The NYJ had a chance to do something special if Mike T. would have choosen Carl Nicks and a WR like Jackson or Colston or even Steve Johnson.

37. By Allan O'Dane on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

Just two moves Like Nicks and Jackson would have made us look GREAT instead of average. Tampa did it the right way, they surrounded Josh Freeman with talent so he can succeed. They even added a RB for him too. I don’t know what the FA list looks like for WR’s but we better do something quick. Same for the R/S of the O-line. We all know that the game is won in the trenches…if you can’t block you can’t run…if you can’t block you can’t pass. So someone please explain to me how in world is this wildcat going to work? How is mark going to throw the ball? I have been watching ESPN..NFL Network and the NYJ are now the laughing stock of the league…jokes about everything from secret wildcat to WR’s who don’t scare anyone.

38. By Allan O'Dane on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

And to tell you the truth I’m sick of it, And it’s all Mike T. and Rex fault. If you wanted Tebow to run the wildcat fine that’s it that’s all you have to do, No Flying in on a private planes, no 200 media conferences. Get a proven Vet to back-up mark. All Tebow is a bigger version of Brad smith. If they would have done this in the first place it wouldn’t look so bad right now. All of this hoopla for back pages, No wonder the Giants are just sitting back letting the NYJ make fools of themselves while they prepare to make another run. That’s right I said it! This team used to be among the most feared when Rex came in now it’s all a joke. And for those who didn’t like Parcells…He wasn’t so bad was he?

39. By SCfromNY on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

I would like to give the young WRs a chance because we can not really find out their potential if our QBs are on the ground or throwing 5 yard passes. Ols in general seem behind defenses at this time of the year. Remember with limited practices it is easier for an aggressive D to step up. I think we let too many WRs fall to other teams. Roy Williams is still out there and once he was considered elite. I think Rex’s and Sporano’s love of ground and pound will fade when by the 5th game they remember it is not 1975. I hope by then the OL is ready to give the QB time to actually be a passer. Like WRs not getting a ball we will never know how our QB could play until he has time to function like an NFL QB.

40. By Bennett on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

Who we going to blame if the offense falters this year again. Schotty ?… ran him out of town..LT the over the hill Famer ?…gone. Plax who had nothing to do with the TD success of the Boy Wonder last year ?… gone. Mulligan ?…gone. O line coach?…gone. Hunter ? BINGO HE IS STILL HERE !!! We can blame eveything ON HIM !!!!. I for one em so glad we kept him because if we didn’t than we just might… now mind you this is JUST A BIG MAYBE…turn a critiical eye towards… you no who…. dare I say it ? THE LEADER OF THAT OFFENSE AND WHERE EVERY PLAY STARTS FROM. The one and only MR.RATED #30, Mr Fat extension himself…. The Human Turnover Machine, The Sack Magnate… The first qt BALL OF FIRE….SAY IT AIN’T SO!!!!………mark sanchez

41. By oasus on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

Karan, Jeff Otah failed his physical when he was traded to us…so no.

42. By Bennett on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

Illogical : QB 2nd in turnovers in NFL, rated #30, 33% 3rd down conversion, 11 turnovers last 3 games, 8-8 season, locker room trouble,slow stating offense, barrage of teamate critics , not speaking with #1 WR, 2 years left on contract. What do we do ? LETS GIVE HIM A NICE FAT EXTENSION !!!!

Logical : You will have to earn an extension this year and if not you will play out your contract and move on. You will compete for the starting job with a viable, young, hungry QB and if you lose you will sit and do the best job you can in this role without bitterness. You will have to earn yourself as leader of this team we cannot appoint you one. It is now up to you to preform and live up to our expectations, or you will move on, the ride is over

43. By ron alexander on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

S.CJoe &Danny, Lets review, For the record(unlike the many revisionists I’m reading here today) I readily admit to have said Coples is a potential bust! i was very disappointed when we drafted him! Absoloutely nothing has happaned to change my mind. When he starts his first reg.season game and produces simular play to last week I will happily admit I was wrong. But based on what I sawfrom him in college,and the training camp reports I stand by my earlier comments.I remember Vernon Gholston makeing sacks in pre-season games too against 2’s & 3’s so I’m not getting on this bandwagon like you guys.But yes, I can be won over. It’s just gonna take more than one good pre-season game against guys who probably wont be NFL players.

44. By ron alexander on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

Danny, I do agree about Plastico being a problem child! I have heard he is more a club-house lawyer who stirs things up. Hey, there are a lot of teams that could use a 6-6 red-zone target and the guys is still unemployed? IRA, i agree we will add a player or two, but isn’t it sad we have to resort to that?Didn’t our G.M have an entire off-season to bring in players who could plug the obvious holes we have? As we are apparently about 6million under the cap I’m just wondering why these issues are still lingering?i would love to hear your thoughts on what Tannenbaum did to Matt Slauson regarding the paycut they forced him to take last week?

45. By GaryC on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

look,whlle the jets are trying all these slight of hand shenanigans with Tebow,why don’t they go to a medium and ressurect Houdini,At least he can disappear when the pass rush is about to clobber him.

46. By Jet Blue on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

After last season’s embarrassment, Rex should have learned to just SHUT UP and coach the team. Nobody wants to hear his predictions or assessments any more. The best way to stop being an easy target for all the criticisms the Jets receive is to just go out and play tough football. Cro as a WR is a joke. He’ll run out of bounds before he takes a hit. Any time he spends away from what he’s paid to do is not time well spent. He still has a knack for watching the QB too long while the WR blows by him. Since we have no safety that can cover anybody we’re going to need Revis to cover both WRs at the same time now. Hope to see more improvement out of Kyle Wilson this year. Start McElroy at QB!!!

47. By Mike Jet Vet on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

Hey guy’s, at this point in time I wouldn’t mind having Plax or T.O even B/E at 6-3 back… Plax > 6-5 T.O >6-4 all 3 big strong fast enough, good hands, experience, .could have any one at a steal, NO! wait I have an Idea! Lets play Cro, I’m sure he will excel on both sides of the ball … Should work, how good has the offense looked, I mean they practice against A Rex defense in camp everyday what could go wrong…

48. By TIM on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

***** I keep telling you people that (OFFENSE) is about (BLOCKING, BLOCKING, BLOCKING)!!

OFFENSE is about BLOCKING first! Then you can RUN or PASS the ball.

So the JETS and TONY SPARANO better get the Jets OL and OFFENSE (BLOCKING, BLOCKING, BLOCKING), if the Jets offense wants to SCORE ANY points! ***********

49. By Karan on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

Tim, we know blocking is essential. You emphasize it daily, tell the organization, not us.

50. By FLPete on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

Everyones complaining about the O-line issues, the only thing ours is missing is athleticism and continuity. Plug in Vlad at LG And Howard at RT and lets build on that… these guys cant get better at 1 position when the continue to be shuffled back and forth like a deck of cards. I count at least 3 of our former reserve lineman that are on other teams starting units striving… Wade Smith
    (Texans) Jonathan Goodwin (49ers) Rob Turner (Rams). The teams with the so called best O-lines do it with continuity…

51. By scjoe on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

Ron, I don’t remember Gholston having ANY sacks, pre season or regular season. Coples is a rookie, he played in his first game as a pro and you can make the argument that he dominated. THAT, to me is potential at the very least. Sure, like every other athlete in every sport there needs to be a body of work. But for me, I would over ride the college output in his senior year with what he did on the field in his first professional game. Remember, it shouldn’t really matter if he played against 1s, 2s, or 3s. He is a rook.

52. By scjoe on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

Bennett/Alan O, this is how I would sum it up, and I am sure many would agree. What we have is a very shaky O line, with little or no depth to speak of. A core of RBs AND WRs with question marks abound, and a core of QBs with even more question marks then the RBs and WRs. So, unless this defense puts up world class numbers this season, OR, what we are seeing from this offense in camp and in that first pre season game is just a mirage, we will be in for a long, long season. Know what is sad? All of this could have been avoided with the correct personnel moves. Not miracles.

53. By scjoe on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

Jet Blue, Cro at WR would be a joke on many teams, not so sure he would be with this particular team. Just take a look at the alternatives, #1 WR- presently banged up, ALWAYS a problem child, proved he is not a team player. WR#2 Had a grand total of 49 receptions in his ENTIRE college career. WR#3 also currently banged up AND in the HC dog house. WR#4 Has proved he can not stay healthy long enough to even get on the field, even though he was not even a starter in Oakland. WR# 5,6,7-??? See my point?

54. By Eli Rodriguez on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

Bennett—–I NOMINATE YOU FOR G.M!

55. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 15, 2012 | Reply

Am I the only one who wonders if TIM is actually Ranger 46 in disguise, only now obsessed with BLOCKING instead of 6′ 5″ QBs?

56. By Jet Blue on Aug 15, 2012 | Reply

scjoe – I hear ya buddy. And the lack of depth at the WR position falls squarely on the GM. Those two trips to the AFC Title game bulit egos that were already too big. This organization needs to hire a GM and a Head Coach that understand how to build a team, and field a team that other teams fear. Tanny looks at names and stats and Rex is in way over his head. Would Bill Cower still have Sanchez playing QB? Would he let the defense get old and slow just because they are “his guys”. Bart Scott cannot play this game at the speed it needs to be played at. You can’t blitz unless you can cover. Miami and Buffalo will be better this year. New England will be New England. The Jets, well, no offense, no wins.

57. By Jet Blue on Aug 15, 2012 | Reply

Bennett: I’m with on the MS issue. It’s not criticism any more, it’s reality. Too many 3 & outs. Too many pass completions to the RB for losses or minimal gains – and they get plowed by linebackers because they were not even open. Never looks down field, or if he does he holds the ball too long and gets sacked – and fumbles. Never looks like he’s got that fire in his eyes – just fear. Never see him on the sidelines talking with his WRs – instead he’s on the stationary bike looking like Dorothy escaping from the wicked witch. I was optimistic when we drafted him, but I’ve seen enough. No improvement in three years. Same bad habits & same excuses of how he needs to be smarter and play better. Put in McElroy. He’s a winner.

58. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 15, 2012 | Reply

I’ll give Sanchez this season to make it or break it, Jet Blue but my hat’s off to you, your posts today are gutsy and smart just the same.

59. By ron alexander on Aug 15, 2012 | Reply

S.C.Joe,great sumation of the W.R. situation.Hey, mabey Cro can at least scare somebody? Not to beat a dead horse but if you think back Gholston did have two pre-season sac’s and of course Rex made it out like he was turning him into L.T!Of course they came against guys who were cut the next week.JETBLUE, welcome to the Mike Tannenbaum not fan club! Its beginning to look like the only way this organization is going to improve is if we go like 2-14 or somthing and mabey then Woody J will realize he has hitched his horse to the wrong wagon. Of course,with his hireing trac record he will probably hire a mens room attendant as the new G.m and mabey a peanut vendor as the new Head coach?Uggghhhhhhh!

60. By Eli Rodriguez on Aug 15, 2012 | Reply

BILL COWHER & G-MAC FOR 2013…………………….

61. By Tony Tiger on Aug 18, 2012 | Reply

Just watched us get crushed by the Giants. This team has no spark, no heart. I know its presesason but ive been watching 43 years. Ive never seen this. Rex Ryan and Tannenbaum need to get run out of the bldg and take that offensives “genius” Sparano w them. Prepare to be humiliated this year and watch how a good Jet D quits on Ryan about 5 games in bc the offense cant score.