Rex Bothered by No TDs, Sees Encouraging Signs

Posted by Randy Lange on August 20, 2012 – 1:57 pm

Rex Ryan got hit with questions at this morning’s news conference about his right tackle situation, his quarterbacks and his offense. All to be expected. After all, with one game to go in the second full week of the NFL preseason tonight, the Jets have the 32nd-ranked offense in terms of total yards, passing yards, first downs, sacks allowed and points scored and in fact are the only team not to have scored a touchdown.

The only team with no TDs? “Yeah, it bothers me,” Rex said. “But hey, again, we don’t need to be at our best right now. We need to be at our best on opening day. And I’m confident that when we get going, we will be. I see encouraging signs that we’re heading in the right direction. It might be obvious to everybody in the public, but again, I’m confident in our offense, I’m confident in our coaching staff, I’m confident in our players, and I believe we’re going to have a very productive offense when it’s all said and done.

Ryan wasn’t throwing in the towel yet, nor should he. We’re only two games into the preseason.

On the other hand, we have only two summer games left, and only one with most of the starters in action, and the Jets coach knows the countdown clock is ticking toward Sunday, Sept. 9, 1 p.m., vs. the Bills.

Topic One has been right tackle, with Wayne Hunter having his hands full against Jason Pierre-Paul and the Giants on Saturday night.

“Wayne’s not the only one in the league that’s going to get beat by Pierre-Paul — that’s one heck of a football player,” the head coach said. “Now that being said, could his fundamentals be better? Of course, absolutely. And that’s what I’m stressing to him. We’ve got to get back to playing techniques and fundamentals, not just him but across the board.”

On three other questions regarding the position, Ryan had these points to ponder:

Is he committed to Hunter as his RT starter against Buffalo? “To sit back and say this guy’s definitely the starter, I’m not ready to do that. Maybe with Darrelle Revis or Brandon Moore, Nick Mangold, but is it a slam-dunk 100 percent? I like to see guys compete and earn their jobs out there.”

Could Austin Howard work with the ones this week? “We’ll see. I think he’s had his moments in camp where you really are impressed with him. Then there’s other things where he’s got to pick his game up as well. We’ll see how it goes later this week.”

Will his opening-day RT starter be either Hunter or Howard? “I’m not going to paint myself into a corner because things happen.”

Ryan supported Mark Sanchez on 10 of his 11 throws vs. the Giants (nine complete, one incomplete), but the 11th, the 77-yard interception return by rookie Jayron Hosley, was the one outlier.

“It’s hard to say he’s not throwing the ball with accuracy — he’s over 75 percent now, which is a good thing,” Rex said. “Clearly we want to be able to make bigger chunks down the field. We left a few of them out there in the game. Overall I’ve been happy with the way Mark’s been throwing the ball.

On the pick, Ryan said, “He slid to his left, throwing to his right, so the pressure came up the middle. If the ball’s delivered a little sooner, it’s going to be a completion. Instead, Mark throws it a little later in the down than he would like and than we would like.”

One item that would help Sanchez, Hunter and the offense in general is a return of some of the injured wideouts at the top end of the depth chart. Ryan thinks two of the three could be available this week in practice and for duty on Sunday night vs. the Panthers.

“I think one of them probably won’t, which would be Chaz [Schilens],” he said. “Hopefully, we’ll see the other two, [Jeremy] Kerley and [Santonio] Holmes, out there. We’ll see how they progress during the week.”

Does he doubt Holmes will be in the starting lineup for the Bills? “I think he will be ready,” Rex said.

So there is that. But while Ryan, his coaches and his players aren’t singing the blues after the 26-3 loss to the Giants, they aren’t kidding themselves, either. There’s still much to accomplish on offense. And the countdown clock ticks ever onward.

Pre-Practice Notes

Sanchez’s 76.5 percent accuracy (on 13-of-17 passing) is third in the NFL after two preseason weeks among QBs with at least 10 throws, trailing only the Chargers’ Philip Rivers (16-of-20, 80 percent) and the Falcons’ Matt Ryan (27-of-34, 79.4 percent). … Holmes and Kerley are doing position drills at this afternoon’s return-to-North Jersey practice. Schilens, LB Ricky Sapp and CB Ellis Lankster are on the bikes. … The Jets did make one tackle transaction today, announcing that Stephon Heyer, signed as an unrestricted free agent on May 29, has been released.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

110 Responses to “Rex Bothered by No TDs, Sees Encouraging Signs”

1. By robertpapalia on Aug 20, 2012 | Reply

I had said this way before the season began, that the right tackle position had to be addressed. Wayne Hunter is simply not a offensive line caliber kind of player. He will get your quarterback killed no matter who is in there. If this problem is not fixed right away maybe Woody Johnson should take alook at Tannenbaum more closely. Any gm who knows what the problem is and does nothing about should be put on notice that his job will be in jeopardy too. Simply ridiculous.

2. By GaryC on Aug 20, 2012 | Reply

Rex says he is looking for bigger chunks down the field,what a novel idea,now institute it before we get to the regular season or Sanchez’s arm will atrophy.

3. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 20, 2012 | Reply

This is beyond ridiculous, praising Sanchez’s “75% accuracy” when he’s throwing for less than 5 yds per attempt and still throwing the same kind of disastrous interceptions that he always has. Why don’t we just throw nothing but 3-yd slants over the middle, that way he can have 100% accuracy and maybe even cut down on the picks!

4. By ron alexander on Aug 20, 2012 | Reply

Not even IRA out ultimate optimist could find anything positive to say about the “DEBACLE II ! But some how Rex is optimistic? I’m think’n Rex must have watched the game from section 327 with the other ‘Happy guys’! Oh well, whats he gonna say?we stink? At least he didn’t committ to starting Hunter in week 1. This will be the Cam Newton vs. Mark Sanchez bowl (aka Spicer vs. 64 ) so we can all look forward to seeing how this all plays out. I saw a replay of Newtons game last week and he looks amazing. Now he does appear to have a lot more weapons to work with, but he moves effortlessly out of the pocket when pressured and has a cannon for an arm. With the starters going 3 or more quarters this week we should have a very clear picture.

5. By dave from haifa on Aug 20, 2012 | Reply

so both veteran RTs signed at the end of may have been released
    besides trading with draft picks for a decent RT, who can the jets ‘afford’ to trade away?
    wilson?
    kerley?
    mcknight?

6. By scjoe on Aug 20, 2012 | Reply

Lets just review boys and girls. Rex says that MS is at 70% completion rate. That may be true, but how many of those passes were for more then 9-10 yards? Rex says that Jason Pierre Paul “is one heck of a football player” and THAT is obviously true, so, maybe what we need is “one heck of a football player” playing RT. I am soooo tired of Rex praising every opposing teams players every time they beat one of his players like a drum. Rex says he is confident this is going to be a very productive offense. Sorry Rex, impossible! Not with this supporting cast.Not until you get one of those “heck of a football player” at RT, LG, RB, QB,

7. By Karan on Aug 20, 2012 | Reply

I am definetly a fan of Sanchez but I think Jet fan tom 64 is right about those small 3 yard slant passes, those need to stop. I honestly cannot stand those. I wish we would throw down the field like a NORMAL NFL offense. It doesn’t even have to be a deep pass, a 10 to 20 yard pass is great, but those just don’t happen, thats whats really frustrating.

8. By Tom Spicer on Aug 20, 2012 | Reply

Did anyone see Laron Landry bury Vicort Cruz? He crushed this is the intimidating force in the deep center that the Jets needed. He also had a pick on Eli like I have said before this guys is a player!

9. By Tom Spicer on Aug 20, 2012 | Reply

Kenrick Ellis played great I dont not think the Jets missed a beat up the middle since Pohua has been gone Ellis is a man child! Coples & Wilkerson again had good games. Bart Scott welcome back he had a really good game.

10. By IRA on Aug 20, 2012 | Reply

I think Howard will get the start this week at RT until they get somebody else. If Holmes and kerley get to play this week i believe they will look a lot better but reality is they have a lot of work to do and get some more talent for the offense. Prediction they score 17 pts in the first half this week. I can only hope.
    GO JETS!!!!

11. By Tom Spicer on Aug 20, 2012 | Reply

The starting Jet D held the starting Giant O to 6 points in the 1st half. This is with us getting a really bad ruffing the kicker call which gave them the ball back. Also our O was so inspt we gave them great field position & our punter shaked not 1 but 2 balls to also give them great field position. meanwhile the guy we cut Steve Weathford was booming kicks!

12. By ELI RODRIGUEZ on Aug 20, 2012 | Reply

Dear Santa: For Christmas I would like a new GM (RUSS BALL) I would also like a new HC (BILL COWHER) and a QB preferably NOT FROM USC!

13. By THUNDER LIPS on Aug 20, 2012 | Reply

Rex is full of bologna and he has the same answer for everything. he reminds me of the wrestling coach from my high school who knew jack about wrestling and would sit at the corner of the mat during a match and yell over and over “HIT A MOVE. HIT A MOVE” thanks bud. i do however feel for rex in a way because i really am starting to believe it is out of his hands. it goes back to Woody and his love of celebrity notoriety and the back page of the paper. if this garbage keeps up i must move on. i can’t deal with an organization that knows the problem fails to address it and is content with being a circus becuase that will get you in the public eye as opposed to winning. If i wanted that i would just become a METS fan.

14. By jet fan since born on Aug 20, 2012 | Reply

wayne hunter has been starting so long that its a joke. is anyone gonna do something about this!. whe you look ocer the game tape you can obvoiusly see that he’s struggling. and with sanchez in the pocket and wayne blocking his BLIND SIDE the offense is going to blow up wen need some changes and fast!

15. By Another Tom on Aug 20, 2012 | Reply

Our Defense will be solid, but they cant possibly perform for 40 minutes a game..Our Offense is dismal so far and does not resemble a professional caliber O at all…I think our RB’s looked and young receivers looked good vs the Giants..

16. By Bennett on Aug 20, 2012 | Reply

SPICER…. In the interests of fairness I did a little digging and you are correct Sanchez had 9 turnovers in the last three games of 2011 not 11 I HAVE SUSPENDED MYSELF FOR 1 DAY FROM THE BOARD

I did say turnovers in the first 3 years but you do have a point on years 2,3.4 for Eli I will take your word on it I HAVE SUSPENDED MYSELF FOR 1 DAY FROM THE BOARD

Now as far as ranking the first year was not a full year for Eli and I could make the piont that if he had played the whole year his rating would have been lower… but… I SUSPEND MYSELF1 DAY FROM THE BOARD

Everybody wants to date Kate Upton so your point is not valid I HAVE LIFTED 1 DAY OF MY 3 DAY SUSPENTION ( I will return on or about Thursday)

17. By kleckofan on Aug 20, 2012 | Reply

This team is the absolute zenith of denial. At least he (Rex) didn’t blow smoke about Hunter being a great tackle. Hunter will not be there on opening day, can’t be. Who is evaluating talent on this squad? We have no play makers, no one that opposing teams are saying, “we need to take care of so and so…” Other than avoiding Revis we have no impact players, none.
    What’s our YPA? It’s like 6 yards per throw…chunks? chunks? I’m blowing chunks
    Fire Tannebaum

18. By GaryC on Aug 20, 2012 | Reply

this just in, the gms around the league are petitioning for the commissioner to tell rex to put a lid on praising the opposition,their afraid their players might hold out.

19. By John , 40 year fan on Aug 20, 2012 | Reply

In theory ;….How many minutes would our Defense have to play if we just have 3 and outs all day long ????

20. By kleckofan on Aug 20, 2012 | Reply

If we’re already picking Rex’s successor I’m going with Chucky, John Gruden. In a recent interview he said even though he’s signed an extension w ESPN he would come back to coach in the right situation. Usually “the right situation” for a high caliber coach means control of personnel too, give it to him!

21. By kleckofan on Aug 20, 2012 | Reply

oh yeah, fire tannenbaum

22. By robertpapalia on Aug 20, 2012 | Reply

Get Wayne Hunter out of there now!!!! Fast is not soon enough!

23. By John , 40 year fan on Aug 20, 2012 | Reply

Rex says ” lets not push the panic button ” but , I think it’s been pushed …I think the clock is ticking on a fist fight , and complete meltdown ….

24. By danny on Aug 20, 2012 | Reply

Guys how can MS throw a ball more then 10 yds when by the time he finishes his 3 step drop he is either sacked or about to be so has to get the ball out ??? I bet if Usain Bolt was at wr for us by the time he reached 5yds Mark is dead meat. The kid is shell shocked now just like Ken Obrian was and David Carr. What Tanny did to this kid the last 2 yrs is a shame. This is why he can’t improve and it’s really a shame. Tanny destroyed this team. I swear I used to hate Shotty so much I couldn’t look at him on the sideline but man never as much as I hate Tanny now.

25. By SCfromNY on Aug 20, 2012 | Reply

So many things so little space.The Jets can not have a top defense if they are on the field for 45 minutes. They will be gassed by the 4th and the opposition will light them up. Everyone knows Hunter is terrible but the line is 5 people. Other teams manage to work around weak spots and mitigate their flaws. Sanchez 75% great only if they were more than 3 yards. For Spicer; Yes Eli had a ton of intercepts but if you watched the games at least half were perfect throws volleyballed to the D. BTW Kate Upton is fine and may be Sanchez’s crowning achievement BUT Eli’s wife is hot. I am not a Sanchez fan BUT if the team wants him to succeed he should not be splitting snaps with Tebow who is a BACKUP! After 2 games Sparano is worse than Schotty.

26. By Paul N. on Aug 20, 2012 | Reply

I will start the rumors now….Rex’s job is on the line this season! Mr. T might be on the unemployment line as well! Mr. T refused throughout the off season to address the RT position, Both swore Hunter was their man. Rex isn’t head coach material, he has no concept of offense, Proof you ask? Sparano is our new Offensive Coordinator!! Anyone watch Miami?? We already are beginning to how good of a choice that was! We can begin to hope for next yr now! lol

27. By Bennett on Aug 20, 2012 | Reply

After further review and due to the fact that the 11 turnovers in 3 games for Sanchez was a factual error that was indeed posted by me and may very well have been quoted by others and not withstanding that it was unintentional and based on a usually very reliable source, I should have verified said source prior to posting THEREFORE I SUSPEND MYSELF FROM THE BOARD FOR AN ADDITIONAL 4 (FOUR) DAYS FOR A TOTAL OF 6 (SIX ) DAYS EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY…. and humbly apologize for that post

28. By DGC on Aug 20, 2012 | Reply

I talked to another Jet fan the other day, he said pre season doesn’t bother him.
    Well it sure worries me. I never thought Sparano was an offensive guy or an
    exiting coach either. What has he done? We have a NEW line coach on O, did
    he start yet ? We looked like we did last year, no change.
    The defense can score points but not enough to save an offence that can only
    put 3, 6 or 9 points on the board. It’s too painful to watch.
    Mr. Woody act now before it’s too late…we need help…and I’m afraid Rex is
    lost….he had the same look in his eyes as MS does after throwing an INT or
    being sacked again and again. (did anyone see MS interview saying he felt they
    were moving the ball well)

29. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 20, 2012 | Reply

Yeah, Karan, the last thing I ever expected was that our O would become MORE Schotty-ish even after we’d fired Schotty! ron a, it’s GaryC who’s on some kind of crusade to prove that Sanchez is better than Newton, or is going to be better, or whatever Section 327 dream he’s workin’ on. Hey, that sounds like a winner — anyone whose “optimisim” or refusal to be “negative” goes completely round the twist becomes an honorary member of Section 327.

30. By Karan on Aug 20, 2012 | Reply

LaRon Landry is the man.

31. By Karan on Aug 20, 2012 | Reply

Are we the only team in the league now that has not scored a TD in the preseason thus far?? If so, SAD!!

32. By GaryC on Aug 20, 2012 | Reply

JetFanTom,I finally figured it out why you are so against sanchez,when he played for USC he refused to get you seats at the 50 yard line and you have held it against him ever since.

33. By Karan on Aug 20, 2012 | Reply

I think we’re playing Carolina Sunday Night. All I can say is if there are absolutely no changes at RT or this O-line depth wise before Sunday, we will get embarassed again. It will most likely be a repeat of Saturday night. Giants and Patriots are loving this, heck the media is absolutely loving this.

34. By Jake on Aug 20, 2012 | Reply

Jet fan since born… Sanchez is right handed so Wayne Hunter can’t be blocking his “Blind Side”. There isn’t much universal consensus amoung Jet fans about anything excpet the fact that Hunter can not be the starter for any reason. Dave From Haifa you bring up a good point, who can we trade besides draft picks. I don’t think we can move Kerly of McKnight. However, Wilson could make an interesting trade prospect. I’ve never been impressed and I always get an un-easy feeling every time I see him matched up one on one. But he’s young enough that I think some teams with Corner issues might give him a look.

35. By JET Fan For Too Long on Aug 20, 2012 | Reply

DEJAVU Really, seems like I am watching the Jets of last year nothing has changed Rex,Tanny and Woody still in denile This is pay back for releasing the players of 2008,2009 and 2010 Championship team when the team was 100%.
    Wake me when its over.

36. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 20, 2012 | Reply

Another good thing about a 2-14 yr or something along those lines is that no one will buy it anymore when Rex says, “Well, a pro QB really needs two lifetimes to come into his own,” “You gotta give the team a decade or so to get the hang of Tony’s offense,” etc. Rex, Sparano, and just about everyone Rex hired will simply be gone, which will be no great loss since it took Rex 3 yrs to figure out that you don’t hire a former DB to coach the DL. Mr T must go too, of course, but what we really need is for Woody to lose interest in football and sell this team. Judging by the quality of his remarks about Sanchez, Tebow, etc., he would seem to be a casual viewer at best.

37. By Karan on Aug 20, 2012 | Reply

Wow, so the already stacked Patriots had Chad Clifton in for a visit today. And we still have not done a darn thing. Keep having faith Rex like you did last year, it’ll do you wonders again.

38. By maryk on Aug 20, 2012 | Reply

This is why they fail, because Rex Ryan says in another thread”we don’t have to be at our best right now…”do you think Bill Belicheck would ever say that?how about tom landry?vince lombardi?bill cowher? hey guys we dont have to be at our best right now. shouldnt you always try to be at your best no matter what–i know we dont want to get hurt in the preseason and we want to progress slowly and not peak too early but this comment just doesnt come off sounding right to me, i can read between the lines and i know what he means but he could have said it another way–when does wayne hunter have to be at his best? ever?the scary part of it all is some of this was some of these guys best!

39. By bill on Aug 20, 2012 | Reply

I’ll tell ya what I’m bothered by Rex, it’s the fact that last season the Offense was a complete disaster, and specifically the Oline which was abysmal. So naturally you completely ignored the Oline in the draft, and have failed to address it with a trade. Coples looks good, but it looks like the Jets are going to lose the games they give up any points in.

It’s nice to finally have a legit deep threat in Hill, but unless he can get deep in 2.5 seconds, Sanchez will be on his back, play over.

Rex you’d better do something about this Oline or you might be out of the QB’s on the roster by the bye week. I don’t think even Tebow will survive the pounding behind these guys.

Say a prayer for our QB’s Jets fans. They are going to need them.

40. By Jake on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

Shotty is probably laughing his butt off in St. Louis right now. What a mess. not that he is in any better of a situation there but at least he doesn’t have to deal with the clown convention that showed up to play offense for the Jets this year.

41. By nick servedio on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

is everyone in the organization, gonna take a pay cut to make the preseason tickets free? well then, guess what Rex they matter!!!!

42. By Christopher on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

Hold on….Sanchez hasn’t played a 2nd half yet, when he starts playing. If they get the running game going things shouldn’t be that bad.

Jets went D in the draft, it will have to be the best in the NFL and carry the team

I wanted Cordy Glenn, who is starting for the Bills. I like Coples, but we still could have traded back in to get Glenn, and we got Hill..time will tell I guess.

43. By joeyjets12fla on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

everyone saying the D looks good,well they are not giving up points,but they are giving up yards between the 20s. the field gets short and very wide when you get close to the enzone, actually easier to defend. my point is, the D should look good in practice anyway look at the O they’re going against.

44. By IRA on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

Hunter has let this get into his head and this is one of his problems right now. Its a shame he has the size and speed but just can’t get back on track.
    I am throwing this out there. Vick got hurt last night, the Eagles already have lost their #2 QB and now Vick is hurt. I would trade Tebow to the Eagles for a OT if they have somebody that would upgrade the position for us now.McElroy could be the #2 and then they can pu a veteran QB after the cuts next week. I think this could be the best thing for the Jets if its possible. Yes Tebow can help in certain areas of the game but making the OL better even if it cost you Tebow is the wise football move.

45. By SCfromNY on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

Anyone see the NE game last night. A patched up line and QB who never played in a game was moderately successfull against the Eagles 1s. Mallet managed to stay calm under constant pressure moving around and making accurate throws. Did he turn over the ball? Yes! But his passes were leading the WRs AND over 3 yds. NE’s OL is certainly worse, except for Hunter than the Jets. Scheme and QB talent seem to be lacking. I agree with the others who said Rex looked resigned to his team woes and couldn’t even find his usual positive spin. Sparano’s interview he looked tired and like he rather be anywhere else. The world will come to an end when we wish we had Shotty back. How could things go wrong so fast?

46. By SCfromNY on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

I like the Gruden as coach thought and I would not have to listen to him on MNF. Did you catch his list of rookie and 1 year starters at QB? I think Rex will be a great DC. Polian is available as GM. I can not beleive how far the team has fallen. Only Rex can beleive thet once the season starts the Jets can “turn it on” The talent seems there. Leadership isn’t there down the line from coaches to players. Do you think Parcells would tolerate Hunter? Let alone praise him for some things.

47. By Tom Spicer on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

The Jets basic formation is going to have to be 2 tight end sets. You have your 5 O lineman, QB, RB, TE & 2 WR’S. Because of Hunter we will have to have Baker or Cumberland in at all times to help him out. Your 3 WR’S sets will have to be far & few between (even thou most teams do this) cause Hunter can not handle the rush. Also any shot of having Tebow & Mark on the filed at the same time (which I really wanted to see) you can throw that out the window. We just do not have the blocking to do that. I would have loved to see Tebow at TE, RB, FB & HB with Mark on the field at the same time. Tebow’s strength is he runs like a fullback he is 250 lbs & very hard to bring down.

48. By GaryC on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

this year I have the nfl red zone package where it will show you when your team gets within scoring distance,Oh well,I guess I won’t see the jets that much then.

49. By GaryC on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

Maybe we need to exhume Claude Rains,the invisible man for the invisible offense.

50. By GaryC on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

jetfantom, I liken Newton to Obama,a man praised so much who has accomplished so little.

51. By Tom Spicer on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

Everyone knows about how we tried to trade for Jeff Otah but he was hurt. I just read that we reached out to Vernon Carey who was a O lineman for Miami. But he said he did not want to play anymore he is the head coach of a high school football team in Miami. If I were the Jets I would bring in Kareem McKenzie he was a great right tackle for us for years. As a free agent he went on the the Giants & won 2 Super Bowls as the right tackle there just like Plax he is currently not on a team. Bring him in & see what he has left what is the worst that could happen his workout stinks & you dont sign him? It doesnt cost anything to work a guy out Kareem is 33 & Hunter is 31 so it is not like Kareem is that much older.

52. By Tom Spicer on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

The Seahawks have Sidney Rice, Braylon Edwards & TO. I read they will not keep all 3. So either TO or Braylon is probably going to get cut. If they cut Braylon the Jets need to bring him in for a workout to see where he is at. Again worst case you dont like the workout & you dont sign him from everything I have heard he is healthy.

53. By Mike Jet Vet on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

all you guys who thought Schotty was such a bad OC , are going to realize ,What I’ve said all along, he’s a genious he got us 2 AFC champshipships in 1st 2 seasons with MS at QB and Rex at the helm ranting and raving about winning SB’s ,I don’t know what team he’s with but I’m willing to bet they have much more success, and win twice as many games,,PLease stop with W-Hunter we all know cats out of the bag , FYI we have no TE’s to go along with no OL W/O’s RB’s this team iis a total diaster only smart move in last 5 years was drafting Keller and he can’t even block, When are you guy’s going to realize Sanchez has no deep game . Schotty coached the likes of Bree’s and Rivers souldn’t he have gotten the concept by now if he did,

54. By Mike Jet Vet on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

Cont. I read some of these posts, I’m amazied Spicer, and Gary C, get over Sanchez it’s not going to happen sorry, I’m not happy about it either , anyone not believeing Jets picked up Tebow, for sole propose of having a wildcat install instead of plan B when Sanchize HA HA can’t even write that with a straight face experiment is over and Rex Mike -T scouts front office whomever realize Sanchez was a waste of 50 million plus 4 draft picks is only kidding them selves, time to cut our loses and move along It’s not negitivity .it’s Reality We’ have to deal with it sooner or later ,No TD’s and like 12-13 sacks in 2 games get serious people

55. By GaryC on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

Ira, Jason Peters is out for the year,don’t believe they have enough depth to give the jets a tackle,and concerning Hunter,if he had size and speed he would have been drafted out of college,not a college free agent.

56. By ELI RODRIGUEZ on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

Ira, good Idea.

57. By Mike Jet Vet on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

Rex, while you’re giving excuses and covering up our inept offense in pressers I just can’t understand, what thought process, brings us to this point believing we’re at a crossroad and in need of some serious help from last year performance , I’m sure all our coaches being in the NFL long as they watching these giuys practice understand what’s going on. Yes I think T.O, Edwards, Moss, Tillis, Benson Demps, Giant Fullback, any reciever let go by colts, any TE Ne has to spare . would have helped this tean in going forward. Problem being that would have made some sense, Take NE they need no Help yet most any player we let go they pick up

58. By Karan on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

Wow, I am laughing so hard at the fact that you called Schotty a genious Jet Vet. That man was anything but. Ya, I’ll admit he stepped up his playcalling in the playoffs, but remember that disaster of a game he called in the AFC title match in Pittsburgh. He used LT instead of Shonn Greene on 4th down! The guy was absolutely horrible, I’m glad he’s in St. Louis. Now, I am not defending Sparano because he has had two ver bad games in the preseason thus far, but I blame the offensive unit over all for that, not Sanchez and Sparano even though they are also partially at fault. It’s really the unit, and honestly, the man who deserves the most blame as most of us know is Tannenbaum. He didn’t do enough in the offseason to provide Sanchez and….

59. By Karan on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

…..the rest of the WRs with a good O-line. In fact, so far it looks like our O-line is in the worst 5 category. Mark needs to play better but in order to have a deep game, he needs more time from the O-line which has simply been failed to do so. I will agree with you on that this team has not gotten any good tight ends for blocking and such. I like our three tight ends but none of them are pure blockers, we haven’t had a good blocking tight end since Hartsock. But overall, the blame really should go to Tannenbaum. This disaster that he produced started in the 2011 offseason when he chased Nnamdi. And its been all downhill from there. But back to my original point,Sparano isn’t the best, but I think he will be better than Schottenhiemer.

60. By Karan on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

Yup definetly Spicer, as soon as Seahawks release one of those 2 WRs, the Jets NEED to get on that phone call.

61. By robertpapalia on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

Tannenbaum had a chance to address this rt problem a long time ago. When does he become accountable for this team`s failures ? He knew about this along time ago and has done nothing about it. This situation must be fixed soon or the season will spiral out of control.

62. By kleckofan on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

Not an I told you so, but…I knew a bad Sanchez yr would get chalked up to learning a new OC and system (and now a bad O line too). What has Andrew Luck been in that system w that terminology in Indy for seven yrs now? Oh , that’s right he’s a rookie. He seems to have pretty good command after four wks of training camp. I know, he’s once in a lifetime, right? What about Tannehill doing well, and Dalton? Oh yeah, those O lines are full of all pros.If we do draft a QB next yr, Barkley will not be my choice. Word is Tavaris Jax will be cut in Seattle, even he’s an upgrade for us.
    GaryC- you may not have an eye for QB’s, but your politics are impeccable!
    Fire Tannenbaum

63. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

I don’t like to offend anyone’s political pt of view on this site, GaryC, so in the interest of equal time I’ll put it this way: Obama has yet to make a single play as good as the ones Newton did in his first game, and the best reason to root for a Romney administration is so that Woody Johnson loses interest in football, takes a post as ambassador to England or Ireland, and sells the team to Curtis Martin. Ira, that’s very imaginative about trading Tebow already but the truth is that an organization that was more interested in winning games than selling T-shirts would never have bothered with him in the first place.

64. By scjoe on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

As if NE is not enough of a stumbling block to the NYJs. While watching last nights Philly/NE game it occurred to me that there 3rd string QB is better then anything we have on our current roster. I watched this kid, who was basically playing with NEs 2s on offense go up against Philly’s 1s. on defense. He was cool, calm, poised and unafraid in the pocket. Not to bad I thought for a kid basically playing for the first time against the opposing teams #1s. He had NONE of the starting WRs or TEs. available to him. He played with an O line that was not fully intact. So, why do we always use those things for excuses?

65. By scjoe on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

A couple more observations about that Philly/NE game. 1- The Pats b/u QB Hoyer is in his 4th year, that means he will probably be an UFA next season. You know NE will not franchise him. SO, ????. 2- The NFL brain thrusts had better speed up the process and get the “real” officials signed before the reg season begins. I for one am pretty sick of watching this comedy of errors that is presently associated with this multi billion dollar industry. And finally 3- This NE team is so loaded on offense that it begs the question, “where has our FO been, what have they been thinking about?”

66. By scjoe on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

Ira/64, I do not see Tebow being traded, this year OR next, regardless of what happens with Sanchez and Rex. For one, he is a marketing phenomenon (that in itself is enough to keep him right here) second, they don’t really look at him as a prototypical QB, so I think what you see this year from him will be what you see next year no matter who the starting QB is or no matter who the HC “OR” GM is. Woody will still own the team.

67. By bill on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

Schotty’s Oline was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the garbage we have now (during the AFC champ game seasons). So please stop with the Schotty was good nonsense. Anybody catch a Ram’s preseason game? LOL. They are the Jets offense in blue and gold. I thought it was the Titans unis at first. lol.

Anyway the Jets have to fix this Oline NOW. Or call it a season. The Patriots second team offense is better than the Jets 1′s. Disaster in the making unless they act.

68. By Tom Spicer on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

Kleckofan, Are you saying that after watching these first 2 pre season games & seeing 12 sacks given up in these games. Are you honeslty putting the poor pre season play on the QB & not on the O line? REALLY!

69. By Christopher on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

you also have to believe that the offense is not running plays they would run if it were a game. I find it hard to believe Hunter will not get any help, or that they roll the QB out of the pocket away from Hunter to buy him some more time.

I’ll pass judgement after the first couple of games. Things don’t look great right now, but there are some signs that this year will not be complete disaster. Although this is the Jets we are talking about…we are due for a 1-15, 2-14 season.

70. By SCfromNY on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

I can not beleive the OL has been so poor. I also can not beleive that in all the colleges in the US there is not some RTs to give a look at. The Jets should hold an OL tryout and see what shows up. It can’t be much worse. Sanchez’s inability to throw accurately quick, look downfiels, and move his feet correctly to avoid some rush is no help to a floundering OL. It’s going to be a long year.

71. By Allan O'Dane on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

I miss Bill Callahan….I miss Alan Faneca…I miss D.Woody…..I even miss Braylon Edwards…. I miss Ken O’Brien…..I miss Wayne Cherbet……..Al Toon…Mickey Shuler….Kyle Clifton…Joe Kelcko…Mark Gastineau….Jumbo Elliot….Randy Thomas…Curtis Martin…hell I even miss Browning Nagle…wait..no..I don’t miss him…..

72. By GaryC on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

kleckofan,so already you are anointing Luck a success too,after two preseason games ,I will have to give you and jetfantom a couple of new names,Karnack 1 and 2,Luck threw two interceptions also,don’t omit that,do you also see the strength of his arm,almost like Pennington.Until I see some playoff victories you guys need to cool the love affairs for Newton and Luck,

73. By GaryC on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

I guess Barkley is the new flavor of the month,he also will be another savior,same size,same arm strength as sanchez,same school even,but a can’t miss in some eyes.

74. By robertpapalia on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

We are due for a one or two win seson? If that`s the case count on Rex and maybe Tanny being shown the door. What a disgrace!

75. By Mike Jet Vet on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

I know we’re beating this Sanchize ( hic cup) story to death , Problem Is this, Rex Mike -T and company , Hasn’t corrected the situation as a result, or any for that matter no other worthy story to speak of coming from Jets nation , well, unless Revis decides to break yet another contract, or we trade Hunter , Vlad, and a few other O/L they can’t get rid of or downgrade “Sanchize” ( hic cup ) Sorry, I can’t help myself, then they would have to admit, what I and some lifers already knew , how bad a move it was in picking him.. God I am not looking forward to the torture US here in Jets nation will endure once again..

76. By danny on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

MikeJetVet do u not realize that Brees became a star when he left Shotty ??? I hope u were joking because Shotty is horrible and never had a offense ranked higher then 24 out of 32. I’ll take my chances with Sparano and not judge his play calls until games count. Everyone knows u don;t show anything in preseason so Sparaon should not be judged. Now it’s not gonna matter who is calling the plays if Wayne Hunter still trots out with the first team and that is FACT

77. By GaryC on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

to the lovers of Luck and Newton,you better have as much confidence in Rivera and Pagano and make sure they become excellent head coaches,give me a great quarterback who had a lousy head coach,brady with belichek,montana with walsh,starr with lombardi,Bradshaw with Noll,Manning with Dungy.Brees with peyton.

78. By Mike Jet Vet on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

Danny,NO I’m not joking, Facts please not what if’s under schotty we got back to back AFC championships with this motley crew that’s more success then this fan or this team has experienced in the last 43 years, Again, let me enlighten you sonny boy like so many others spouting opinions without facts, So NO I’m not joking. it’s you that’s joking yourself, if you believe SP will do a better job , But now that we have another OC to compare him with . Let me hear your opinion at seasons end

79. By Mike Jet Vet on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

Con’t, to finish my point,Jet Management, just don’t have a clue or know how to get it right. perfect example , here’s a fact I’ll throw out , last three head coaches were? go ahead say it , it’s OK we all know. ALL THREE ROOKIES , Herm Edwards , Eric Mangini, both out of football in the booth, Rex Ryan soon follow . Nuff said

80. By Westcoast GangGreen on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

Jet Nation.. New offensive cord. does not matter. Same horrible R-Tackle and M.S 3yard check downs will kill this unit. Any of you catch the A.Luck interview Sunday night halftime. I sure hope M.S did, because Luck took a shot at all the 4 year starters. ” The pressure is on me to perform now! They are vets on this team(colts) that need to win now, they can’t wait to see if im going to be another one of those 4 year starters that possibly develops. I take pride in that, and that what drives me everyday” Ouch! Can’t for Sunday game, starters will get the bulk of time.A real game plan will be installed..?

81. By scjoe on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

For what it is worth, here is my take on the Sparano/Shottenheimer comparisons. And this is regardless of whether or not there is a body of work for Sparano yet. If you had a Brady, Brees, or Manning behind center it really wouldn’t matter who the OC was. Brady for one has proved that. On the other end of the spectrum if you had a Leaf, Curtis Painter or a Bubby Brister back there the OC wouldn’t matter much either. What is the common denominator?

82. By danny on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

Shotty was horrible and never adjusted to the talent he had, I do believe Sparano will have MS roll out and do things that he is good at. Shotty stuck to his vanilla gameplans and how many times have we seen 3rd and 3 and our TE does a 2 yd out ?? I seen the same call last week for the Rams on 4th down and of course they didn;t get the first, Fisher will not put up with Shotty he will be gone after the season. Sparano was a OC just 1yr with Dallas and his Offense was ranked number 4 in the NFL cmonn. We did not get to the AFC championship because of Shotty the guy actually cost us the AFC champ when we had 1st and goal from the 1 and he calls 3 passes then LT up the gut on 4th. Ur the only person to ever say Shotty helped us in any way

83. By danny on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

Mike jet vet we ran the football and played great D that is why we made it to the Championship. Drew Brees had his best seasons when he left Shotty. Chad Pennington was comeback player of the yr when he left shotty. I’m sorry to tell you but the man was fired because he did a poor job and how he got another OC job is insane, Fisher will fire him very soon. I can’t believe you credit Shotty for taking us to AFC championship that is absurd. Like I said before you run the ball 4 times in a row from the 1 with the number one rushing attack and if you get stopped u don’t deserve to win. You don’t get cute as shotty always tried and only out smarted himself. Ohh Rivers took off when Shotty left too that QB killer.

84. By danny on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

Ohh and to judge Sparano after 2 preseason games where u run 10 percent of ur offense without any game planning is ridiculous. I’m no huge Sparano fan but def glad clueless Shotty is gone. He had some good games that he called but way more bad and never in between. Shotty chokes under pressure just like his old man. OUR DEFENSE beat NE and Peyton no way did Shotty. Look at the guys track record as a OC and it speaks for itself Mike Jet Vet. Shotty didn;t make up no great blocking schemes LOL we had a BEAST of a line that blew guys off the ball. We don’t have that anymore these guys get blown backwards as it showed on the 2 short yardage stuffs vs lil blue

85. By danny on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

I’m still in shock Mike Vet Jet called Shotty a Genious LOL. If shotty is a genious then Joe Walton is a GOD hahaha. REX’s Defense did a lot more to get us to the AFC Championship then SHOTTY and his play calling Mike. U say u been watching for 43 yrs and Im the one who must be kidding but for a 43 yr fan you should understand offense more then to say Shotty is a Genious and got us to the AFC Championship. I almost fell off my chair when I seen Genious next to Shotty’s name hahahaa Does anyone else on here think Shotty is a Genious ???????????? Big Ron where are ya ?? haha

86. By JET Fan For Too Long on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

Before judging, Let’s wait and see how they play, then listen to what Rex says after this weekend.Then we will start on Woody and we hope he reads all the posts from all the JET fans on this site. and start doing something about this mess that he created.

87. By Allan O'Dane on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

I have to agree with Mike Jet Vet, I am not going to take anything away from Rex as a D.Coord. But He’s not head coaching material. I liked Herm…he was also a players coach but things spun out of his control. Mangini….was made the scapegoat. This is why I want a proven headcoach to take over this team. like a Cowher or Gruden…Sometimes these Coord. need to be asst.HC before moving up to be an HC. Some DC or OC just like being where they are i.e. Dick Lebeau. All I know is if you end the season with glaring needs and don’t address it, well then you are not doing your job. Fix the problem. Go out and at least give your team a chance to win. Do expect this defense to hold everyone to 3-10 points per game?

88. By Allan O'Dane on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

Rex & Co., go out and try to fool everyone with getting a rugby player to help block because the RT spot is horrible. Instead of just either drafting a Tackle or at least signing a proven vet. In three moves this team could have made vast improvements…

RT- Nicks , Gaithers or Bell
    WR – Colston, Jackson or Edwards
    RB- Cedric Benson
    LB- DeMeco Ryans

At least two of these guys would have been pushing the cap space..but at the second choice guys would have made a difference or better then what we have now,

89. By Allan O'Dane on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

At this point we have to get K.Mckenzie..and we have to sign either Plax, Chad or
    Roy Williams. If Braylon is let go then we should look at him too. I didn’t play bad when he was here and was one helluva blocker down field. And if they don’t get a RT, well you better put another big TE on that side along with a FB in the backfield to slow the pass rush so the QB’s don’t get killed. OR..maybe even line up keller at WR and cumberland at TE.

90. By kleckofan on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

GaryC- not insulted to be grouped w JFT64 on the Sanchez debate. As for Mr. Luck, don’t take my word read articles about what other GMs and analysts are saying; things about “pocket presence” and “command”. The very qualities Mark is missing. Really, before criticizing look at what others are saying. As I said before, I was pro-Mark when we picked him,I must admit based primarily on his Rose Bowl performance. The yrs have not born out the pick. Mark continues to look like and act like a boy amongst men. I agree, how could I not, that the O line is a problem, but I believe we would see the same shortcomings from Mark behind the Redskin Hogs of the 80′s.

91. By kleckofan on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

garyC- don’t know if your terms “Great QB” and “Lousy Coach” neccessarily apply, but there are plenty of very successful QB’s w less than stellar, genius HC’s. Starting close to home:
    Pennington did pretty well w Herm Edwards (and Sparano for that matter)
    Ken O’Brien (while not Marino) did pretty well w Joe Walton
    We can argue about the greatness of Weeb, but I remember a lot of 3rd and fifteen draw plays, and both Johnny U and Joe Willie did OK w him
    Jim Kelly w Marv Levy
    Manning w Mora (after an initial poor start)
    Esiason w Wyche
    Talent overcomes, Mark doesn’t have it.

92. By robertpapalia on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

This offense is so bad that I feel sorry for the defense. If we had a halfway decent offense it would take alot of pressure off the defense. It looks now it could be a very long depressing season. Look for big changes after that starting with the coaching and general manager spots. Another diaster.

93. By scjoe on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

Danny, it’s me again, scjoe! I have read your posts above @MJV and correct me if I am wrong here, but haven’t I heard you make the statement in the past that “Mark Sanchez got us to TWO AFC championship games?” That may have been taken out of context, but it is what it is. But now you say Rex, his D, and the running game took them to those championship games. Which is it?

94. By GaryC on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

Kleckofan,Weeb won three championships,that’s pretty good,better than coughlin,better then parcells,None of the quarterbacks except for Kelly were no where near great,and I believe you are underestimating Levy.I will stand by what I said,most great qbs had very good coaches.

95. By Tom Spicer on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

Kleckofan, Mark Sanchez had 13 total turnovers in 2010 TOTAL we were in the AFC championship game at Pitt with the ball late in the 4th quarter with a chance to take a lead. We were shuttng down the Pitt O in the 2nd half of that game they could not move the ball vs our D. We have the ball 1st & goal from the 2 & 2nd & goal from the 1. Schotty blew it 3 times in a row or we are in the Super Bowl. So yes if you have good blocking & you dont have the 5th most sacked QB in all of the NFL, a QB who is sacked 40 plus times & what EVERYONE on the planet says is the worst starting right tackle in the NFL. Yes you can win it all with Mark Sanchez.

96. By kleckofan on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

GaryC- no intention of getting in a spitting contest over this, but…you’ll give me Jim Kelly(kind of), Manning wasn’t great until he got which great HC? Dungy? I have a signed photo of Weeb in my office, but I don’t believe he contributed much to the success of the two QB’s I named.Different era though. I agree that certain Qb’s have flourished due to their coaches/systems, Montana being the greatest example. I just don’t think that the lack of coaching or system is at the heart of Sanchez’ problems.
    Spice- in 2009/2010 we were able to run the ball down opponents’ throats, we hid Sanchez. This an old “chicken or the egg” argument anyway, I say we won in spite of him, you think we won because of him.

97. By GaryC on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

kleckofan,stand corrected on the manning and mora,for some reason archie came to my mind,I will give you that one.I will give you one more Elway with Reeves,but there hasn’t been many.

98. By kleckofan on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

Those yrs proved we CAN win w Mark, no way to dispute that, but can we put together the #1 O Line and the #1 defense (at least top five) every year to prove the point? What was Brady’s running game ranked last year, 29th? how about the defense? That’s an extreme example, but it proves the point that your QB should be the reason behind your success. Mark has too many shortcomings to overcome, in my opinion most are mental (ie pocket presence, confidence, decision making, leadership), his arm strength, scrambling etc seem fine, he just doesn’t use them effectively. Time will tell, maybe some system elevates him to be what you think he is, I just don’t believe it. This guy was the #5 pick! He should be beyond this conversation by now. Fire Tan

99. By scjoe on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, here is one to think about Manning/Caldwell. I guess Caldwell was an “elite” HC in 2009 when he took the Colts (with Peyton) to the SB. But I guess he somehow lost that “elite” status the following year (with out Peyton) going 1-15. Gee, is it possible an NFL coach could lose that “elite” status simply by losing one (1) player? Oh my!

100. By Karan on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

Totally agree with ya danny, it wasn’t Schotty that took us to those 2 championship games, it was Mak Sanchez, the Defense and excellent blocking. This was just 2 years ago…. sigh, how I miss it.

101. By Mike Jet Vet on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

Danny, TS will have Sanchez Roll out lol , god i needed a laugh, it won’t TS making him roll out . IT will be a life saving maneuver. This team has no direction what so ever, they haven a clue

102. By Mike Jet Vet on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

scjoe . Danny is one of these which ever way the wind blows type ,Just by his statement about Chad Penny . Proves that . Chad became good after he left schotty Danny Chad was better then Sanchez ever was or will be, with schotty TS, Rex, whom ever

103. By danny on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

Also Scjoe if u don’t think a Young MS stepped up and helped us win those playoffs games by 1 – not turning the ball over 2 – by making some big clutch throws then I don;t know what else to say to you because that is ridiculous. It was a total team effort but nothing Shotty did helped us we had a good football team with leaders and great chemistry. So yes MS helped us get to the AFC championship, our running game and our Tough lockdown D. Now MS regressed and a HUGE reason why is he is shell shocked because he has no trust in his O line and gets DESTROYED out there. It showed on his pick vs the Giants he stepped to his left and threw off balance because in his mind Wayne Hunter is getting beat. Most of the time he is

104. By scjoe on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Danny, let me see if I understand what you are saying. When Sanchez played “so great” during those championship runs, he did that on his own, NOT with Shotty’s play calling. BUT, when he falls flat on his face, and has one of those “classic” Sanchez type games, that he has all to often, it is solely the play calling or the o line? Do I have that right? The O line that started last weeks game against the NJG (except for the RT spot) was the exact O line that started the past couple of years, ok, maybe the LG in one of those years, but he is not the main problem.

105. By scjoe on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Also Danny. Mark Sanchez was a top ten pick which also happen to cost another draft pick. He was selected that high and paid that kind of ridicules money because he was projected to be a “franchise” QB It is his job “to protect the ball” sure, all QBs throw INTs, but some of the INTs I have seen from this QB border on horrific. And those “clutch throws” he made during that playoff run? I recall a couple of them being great catches by the WRs (BE for one) that were not thrown all that accurately. So c’mon man, tell me honestly, what is so “ridicules” about any of that?

106. By RON ALEXANDER on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

KLECKOFAN, one of the bests posts I have seen here!Great job dude! I think you made a lot of great well thought out points in that one post. Mabey we can enlist you to referee the Sanchz debate between DANNY & S.C.Joe? That one wont end till M.S is traded,cut or killed by whoever Hunter was supposed to be blocking.On the one hand we have the articulate antagonist S.C.J. On the other we have the animated emotional protagonist Danny!This is great stuff guys! Fact is both of you guys are right.sanchez has not played up th the posisition he was drafted. But it could have happaned if he were surrounded by
    better personell!

107. By danny on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Scjoe I could have called the offense we had in 09 and 2010. We pounded the football and ran some playaction. For the 100th time no MS is never gonna be elite but in no way has he been in postion to get better with the O line the last 2 yrs. Most ppl understand that our O line stinks and that it all starts up front. If ur o line stinks ur offense stinks. BTW ur wrong about the same O line because we had faneca and woody MS 1st yr when we led the league in rushing. Then we had slauson come on but still had woody until he got hurt then Hunter filled in and somehow played well. Last yr as we started to go down hill we had Wayne Hunter getting abused and Brickshaw regressed. Scjoe it all starts up front buddy

108. By scjoe on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

now,now,now, Danny. I did mention above “with the exception of RT,” AND, one of those years at LG, but I really didn’t see a whole lot of drop off at LG, lets be honest, Faneca WAS already past his prime when we picked him up, so that one is moot. Overall, I think you are misunderstanding my message, my point, and my opinion on things. I know what this O line is, no doubt, but I also know what Mark Sanchez is, or is not! I didn’t like the pick from day #1, and there hasn’t been anything that I have witnessed in 3 plus years to change my mind. Now, can it happen this year? Who know for sure,yet, but I am not overly optimistic about that happening.

109. By danny on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

Well that’s just it you never liked Sanchez from day one. Now he has done some good things for us his first 2yrs and you can’t deny that Scjoe. The kid has 4 road playoff wins which is more then any other Jets QB except Namath and his SB. I agree with you he has to step up and get better to keep his job but all I’m saying is the last 2 yrs with our O line he has not been in a good position to get better. The kid is shell shocked and you can;t really blame him he got killed last yr and now in these first 2 preseason games, He will never be Tom Brady but with a decent O line and our D he can get us back to the playoffs and he showed the world already he can win in the playoffs, This is the only reason why I have his back

110. By danny on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

As for Faneca he was still a top run blocking guard when we got him and he played his part in our number 1 rushing attack