• Thu., Sep. 18, 2014 2:30 PM - 3:15 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Thu., Sep. 18, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Thu., Sep. 18, 2014 10:00 PM - 10:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan

A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup

• Fri., Sep. 19, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Fri., Sep. 19, 2014 2:00 PM - 2:15 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Fri., Sep. 19, 2014 3:30 PM EDT Live Press Conferences: Coordinators Dennis Thurman, Marty Mornhinweg and Thomas McGaughey will address the media following practice.
  • Fri., Sep. 19, 2014 6:00 PM - 6:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Sat., Sep. 20, 2014 3:30 PM - 4:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Sat., Sep. 20, 2014 9:30 PM - 10:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan

A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup

• Mon., Sep. 22, 2014 11:30 PM - 11:59 PM EDT Jets Post Game: Bears at Jets Reactions and on-field interviews with Jets players immediately following every Jets game

Defense’s Conditioning Continues to Be a Priority

Posted by Randy Lange on August 22, 2012 – 6:19 pm

Updated, 6:25 p.m. ET

The gassers of two weeks ago, in response to some practice brawls up at SUNY Cortland, have almost been forgotten. But in a way, maybe they were the start of something else entirely that must be remembered.

“The one thing I’m concerned with, and I was pushing Darrelle about it, is just that we have to be in unbelievable shape,” head coach Rex Ryan said at this morning’s news conference. “We were talking how I think this can be a really good defense, and I mean a really good defense, but to make sure that we’re on top of everything, keep our communication going, make sure we’re in great shape. And I think that’s something we can do.”

Revis confirmed that for the defense especially, the conditioning they stressed in the offseason program through the extra wind sprints players are doing on their own are all being done with the purpose of combatting the hurryup offenses they’ve been facing and will see again.

“Last year we saw it a lot, especially with the Patriots,” the corner said. “During those games, you can see most of the time they were in empty, five wides. We’ve got to be prepared at all times. Whatever teams throw at us, we’ve got to be well-positioned.”

“It’s trending,” added LB Bart Scott. “You’ve always had to deal with Peyton Manning and Tom Brady, and now look at [Matt] Stafford and Ben Roethlisberger and a lot of people using that ‘muddle huddle.’ And you see some of the college guys, Cam [Newton], in the hurryup and spread offense and kind of looking over to the sideline. It’s something we have to prepare for just in case we get it. It can’t do anything but work for us.”

LB Calvin Pace added that  “a good thing about having a good veteran group is that the guys take it upon themselves to try to get to the ball, overdo it, try to get your conditioning done as much in practice as you can.  It’s tough to go out and practice and then run gassers and then still have the whole rest of the day in meetings.  I think the ideal way is just to try to push yourself as much as you can in practice in preparation for your Buffalo, New England, continuously bring that high tempo.”

Add Miami to the no-huddle mix. And look who the first two division rivals are on the schedule: the Bills at home on opening day, Sept. 9, and the Dolphins in Miami in Week 3, which is likely to be a typically hot South Florida late-September day.

All of which spoke well to this week’s return to late August practices in North Jersey. This afternoon’s session on the Atlantic Health Training Center grass was arguably was the hottest of the year, with heat-index temperatures in the upper 80s, little wind, and the session coming in at a Mangini-esque 2 hours, 25 minutes.

Temps are expected to remain in the upper 80s Thursday and Friday, both practices open to the public, before the Jets run into and attempt to run with Cam Newton and his Panthers in Sunday night’s NBC game.

For Ellis, a Load Lifted

Kenrick Ellis said today that one last big distraction, whether he would miss games for his recent legal problems in Virginia, was lifted when the NFL said Tuesday it would not suspend the second-year DT.

“To be honest, I was so focused on trying to compete here in camp, that was in the back of my mind,” Ellis told me this afternoon. “But yes, it is a relief that that part of it is taken care of and I can really focus on football now, focus on getting better every day, and doing what I’m supposed to do so I can get reps here.”

Bellore: Back or ‘Backer?

The Nick Bellore saga continues this week. Today the second-year linebacker and special-teams leader donned white jersey No. 46 for the entire practice. That’s what as in offense, as in fullback, the position he lined up at during one period late in the Cortland phase of training camp.

“I was with the offense the whole time today, starting with meetings, and I’m staying with the offense the whole week,” Bellore said. “It’s fun. I can’t complain. It gets me on the field.”

It also, perhaps in a small way, will improve the odds of achieving something that’s probably on the Bellore Bucket List.

“An embarrassing fact about me is that I’ve never scored a touchdown — ever,” he said. “I never made it to the promised land.”

Bellore hasn’t given up his green No. 54 jersey or his defensive playbook. But the experiment continues.

Injury Updates

WR Jeremy Kerley is back working in team drills, while WR Santonio Holmes is still wearing the red jersey but did some 7-on-7 work. Both are “maybes” for Carolina on Sunday night. Definitely out for the Panthers: NT Sione Pouha (back), S Eric Smith (shoulder/knee), WR Chaz Schilens (ankle) and LB Ricky Sapp (ankle). … Wayne Hunter returned to practice, and he and Austin Howard split time with the ones at RT. … Pace (wisdom tooth) was also back, working on the side, and said he’ll be back in team drills Thursday.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

46 Responses to “Defense’s Conditioning Continues to Be a Priority”

1. By wayne on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

Conditioning the defense a priority? Better be. Even a blind man could see that…..Trying to understand why all the issues with the fullback position? I’m one who believe that ground and pound, irrespective of what’s in vogue, is the best approach for this team. I just don’t see the personnel in place to pull that off……..Can’t argue for going Air Coryell either they’re even worse off there…..Knowing the Luck of this organization, this would be the year they go 3 and 13 and are faced with the enviable choice of whether to draft another 6’2″ USC QB or not…Calm down Jetaholics, it’s pretty hard for me to fathom 3 – 13 as well……..That were to happen, even the equipment guy’s gettin traded or kicked out on his can.

2. By RON ALEXANDER on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

Sadly, the “D” will need to be in shape to run marathons as they will no doubt be spending 40+ mins. on the field! With the 3 & outs and turnovers we can expect Bart & the boys should plan on booh-cooh playing time. IRA, when we construct the final roster we should think of keeping like 40 defenders and maybe only 18 offensive players and specialists? Sorry to sound so negative but if we dont get some O.line help soon I cant us scoring a lot of points this year?

3. By robertpapalia on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

The way this offense is going the defense will be gassed by mid season.

4. By maryk on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

just a heads up bart scott about hurry up, spread offenses and no huddles it’s not just in case you might get it—you will get it and you will get it and you will get it–everyone you play this year will do this to you so be ready

5. By Jet Blue on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Rex stating the obvious, again: “The one thing I’m concerned with, and I was pushing Darrelle about it, is just that we have to be in unbelievable shape.”
    Wow, now that’s HC insight. If Rex is the defensive guru he pretends to be, he’d see that every time he blitzes, the whole line over-pursues to the outside and the QB steps up and has a wide open view of the field. One of the resons this defense doesn’t get the sack numbers they should get is because they don’t get the pressure up the middle. We see this time and time again, especially against the better QBs who want you to blitz so they can hit the open WR, or the RB coming out of the backfield uncovered. There’s a reason why the Ravens passed over Rex for their HC job.

6. By punchie on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

earth to sanchez step back and let it sail i would rather see you beam it 35 down the field for an interception instead of tossing that same 5 yarder to the sideline not just for an intercept but a touchdown, that is supposed to be the safety valve not the final nail in the coffin. so REMEMBER step back and let it sail………………..

7. By IRA on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

So the Rams have signed Gholston. I wish him well and hope he can turn into a productive player. Its alarming that Revis made comments that they were not in the best of shape last year. Sorry that doesn’t work in my books especially for athletes at their level. They better be in better shape this year because the way it looks right now the D will be spending a lot of time on the field.
    I still am going to take a wait and see approach with this offense until the season starts. I would be shocked if they don’t add a TE, WR and OT.
    GO JETS!!!!

8. By IRA on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

As for MJD i have been flip flopping about him but i do think investing big money in a RB with the miles he has on him is probably not a good move. It would be fun to watch him play though thats for sure.

9. By SCfromNY on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

The defense nees to be in top shape because based on the Jets goffense they will be on the field most of the game.

10. By harry-o on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

defense – good
    offense – not so much
    c’mon man
    show us something against carolina
    score some points already its time to break out !

11. By Allan O'Dane on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

The problem with the defense was the safety spot. It was clear that teams were deploying 2 TE sets against us because we couldn’t cover it. Landry/Bell both are tough guys…more run support if you ask me. But Landry is known to cover some ground and I don’t think there are many TE’s that can out muscle this guy. I think this unit can be a top 5. But if they don’t fix the offense it won’t matter. The D will gassed due to the 3 and outs by the Off. And you risk a greater chance of injury on the Def. also. I will continue to blame Mike T, and the FO for this mess that could have been corrected back in April. Wayne’s issue is mental. He has no confidence right now. BIG..BIG mistake letting Rob Turner go….

12. By SCfromNY on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Everyone on this site understands the multiple problems and agree. Well except for 1 or 2. Can management be this stuped. While not happy with the coach on up how can they be this bad.

13. By Tom Spicer on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

MY WISHES HAVE BEEN ANSWERED THANK YOU LORD!
    The Jets have removed Wayne Hunter as their starting right tackle.
    Source: Rich Cimini on Twitter Aug 23 – 11:19 AM

14. By Tom Spicer on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

The Jets have removed Wayne Hunter as their starting right tackle.Finally. Hunter was among the league’s worst starting tackles last season, giving up 8.5 sacks and getting tagged for 11 penalties. He followed that up with a woeful 2012 preseason. Hunter is owed $2.45 million guaranteed this season, meaning his new role as a jumbo swing tackle is safe. New right tackle Austin Howard is no superstar, but he can’t be any worse than Hunter. Aug 23 – 11:19 AMSource: Rich Cimini on Twitter

15. By GaryC on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

As Fassell said I’m laying my cards on the table,first game of year Sanchez throws between 250-270 yards and 2-3 tds,If it doesn’t happen I will be suffering an earache getting lambasted by JetFanTom,Scjoe,mikejetvet plus others,Oh well if you can’t take the heat as they say,I’m ready.

16. By Charliejet on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Allan O’ It appears Austin Howard will be taking Wayne Hunter’s place against Carolina (according to the Post).

17. By scjoe on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Anti MJD guys…It is a moot point anyway, BUT, the bottom line, no matter what the compensation, MJD is an immediate upgrade to any back this team has or has had for the past few years. And yes, I am a firm believer that a great RB (just like a great QB) makes the O line look better then it actually is because they are not dependent upon it is much as “the others” Can any of you sit there and tell me this team, with this atrocious offense, would not be dramatically improved with MJD running the ball instead of what we have now? Not to mention the pressure taken off this QB, who desperately needs it. THAT, is the bottom line.

18. By Tom Spicer on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

I would trade for Jones Drew he is 27 in the prime of his career & is a top 5 running back in the entire NFL. The Jets keep saying they want to be a running team. Who are they doing this running with Shonee Greene? I am sorry he is a great 2nd back but a average NFL starter at best. I would trade the Jags Tebow, Greene, a 6th & 7th round pick. The Jags have trouble selling out there stadium they have tarps that they put over there seats & I think there games get blacked out on local TV. Well by them getting Tebow EVERY game would be sold out & no games would be blacked out. It his home town he is a god there. They also would have a decent running back in Greene & 2 extra picks.

19. By Tom Spicer on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

I think the Jets are 2 players away from being a playoff team. 1 a right tackle (DUH) & 2 Either 1 of these 2 you can take your pick. A stud running back or a proven legit NFL WR.

20. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

robert papalia, Jet Blue, punchie, all great posts, good to see there are still plenty of folks not drinking the Fool-Aid. Ira, you’re always shocked when the front office does nothing or the team gets worse, what’s new about that? And you’ll continue to be shocked until you start facing reality regarding this entire organization. GaryC, that’s twice in the last week you’ve just thrown out an absurd prediction — Newton overseeing a 2-14 yr, Sanchez somehow having a spectacular opener on this mess of a team — which shows that in your desperation, you’re straying from reality as well.

21. By RON ALEXANDER on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

S.C.Joe, no argument about MJD makeing us better this year.But as 64 points out, I dont see us being a factor this year anyway.I hope to be wrong about that but we shall see. I just dont want to mortgage the future for a short term fix.
    As has been noted, MJD is a stud!,But with 6 years in the books and so many carries on his legs its a mystery how much more he has left in the tank. Hey, the guy is an amazing talent but its gotta be at least a major concern? The good news is “ding dong the witch is dead(or at least banished to the bench)

22. By Karan on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Spicer really does good make a good point. If the Jets get 2 good O-lineman and a veteran WR, well I guess we can also add on a blocking TE on there, they really will be a spot away from the playoffs.

23. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Spicer, weren’t you one of the guys — along with me, GaryC, and scjoe — who constantly railed at the Jets for trading picks for vets and never getting serious about really building a team thru the draft? And now you say we should trade MORE picks for MJD who as RON pts out, has almost 3X as much mileage on him as Greene? And where do you get the crazy idea that Tebow, Greene, and 2 low picks would get us MJD? Try more like a straight-up Adrian Peterson-for-MJD deal, dude! WHAT are some of you guys smoking today? I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a late rush of unreality on this site even during the season — and we haven’t even heard from Arte yet today! (He’ll no doubt tell us Howard “is a stud,” like he said about Tracy Wilson…)

24. By GaryC on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

just remember jetfantom,you heard it here first,I do have a little more confidence in the team then you do.the team has been upgraded already with Hunter on the bench.maybe your boy holmes can get on the field and it might help things a little more.as far as Newton and the panthers going 2-14,I was the one who said they had more talent then you thought.

25. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

…and now you’re the one who’s praying the Panthers go 2-14 so that you won’t have to apologize for your preposterous argument that Sanchez is or will ever be better than Newton. You don’t know whether you’re coming or going, GaryC, as shown when you’re forced to root for Holmes whom half the time you’re calling a bum. This is unusual for you but very common for Jet fans who lose their perspective, decide that “being positive” is all, and refuse to learn from this sorry’s franchises many mistakes over the last 40 yrs with respect to how to build a team from the ground up.

26. By Mike Jet Vet on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Karan, that’s a lot of if’s, I agree, with all you say, but where are they coming from? you realize what it’s takes to get players you just mentioned That’s what the draft is for, and why myself, Jet Fan Tom, and a select few have been lobbying just that for years now, Fans like Ira, Spicer, and again a select few looked at it from a more optimistic angle, Although, I will give them props, good outlook stay positive, problem is it hasn’t worked out, Let me said again time to cut our loses and build a real team like NE, Giants, Saints, Steelers, and now the Packers .feels like we’re forever in obscurity,

27. By danny on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Hey Scjoe if Barry Sanders had the O line that Emmit Smith ran behind he would be the All time leader and ahead of everyone by 10,000yds. It all starts up front with ur O line

28. By Mike Jet Vet on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Cont, much as I like MJD love to have him, he isn’t the answer to our woes, this O/line,”sorry guys”, They can’t protect a sandwich at a bulimia convention, what we’ll need to give up in getting him, will only take away from Guys we must pick up to protect.. Greene, Conner and Mc,Knight in hopes he steps up his game., W/O Blocking/ Catching TE new RT are musts haves in going forward

29. By scjoe on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, 270 yards? TWO HUNDRED AND SEVENTY YARDS? In my best Jim Mora, 270 yards? Are you kidding me? 270 yards? In one game? From Mark Sanchez? OUR Mark Sanchez? Sorry, just got up off the floor, I thought I read that Mark Sanchez was going to throw for 250-270 yards in the first game of the reg season vs Buffalo. I would be shocked, correction, I would be beyond shocked if Mark Sanchez threw for 270 yards in his first TWO (2) games.

30. By kleckofan on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

Apparently I crossed the line and got edited aka censored for either:
    comparing a certain player’s camp participation to that of Brett Favre or
    opining that Revis’ comments about being out of shape are a condemnation of the coaching staff.
    You can decide, if this post makes it, which is more subversive.
    Blink- good to have you back, a breath of fresh moroseness (if there is such a word)

31. By SCfromNY on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

Are we counting yards from Sanchez’s “pick sixes”?

32. By GaryC on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

scfromny,very amusing,Scjoe,sanchez will shock you like Ali did Liston.

33. By GaryC on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

jetfantom, if I remember correctly you were the one who said you can look at things from two different sides,it is obvious if holmes does well,the team will be better,the same with the panthers who you thought very little of and that Newton was a one man show.that still doesn’t mean I am thrilled with holmes,just like I wasn’t thrilled with Molasses Man,Burress.

34. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

Still don’t get this sudden burst of enthusiasm for Sanchez, GaryC, especially since there’s no real evidence that he or the team around him, especially that troubled OL, has gotten any better. MJV, I’m with you on MJD, trades, the draft, and so on. Of all yrs NOT to start making trades for vets, it’s this one, a yr in which we’re clearly going nowhere and just trying to find out which players — and coaches — should be around for the yr before the SB is at our house, when the Giants will be ramping up for winning that game and we’ll still be wandering in the desert as to how to get close to it.

35. By scjoe on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, LOLOL, You mean Buffalo will throw it like Liston did? I don’t think so!

36. By kleckofan on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

Since all of us, even those on both sides of the Sanchez debate, agree that the
    O line is a shadow of its former self (’09,’10).has anyone asked why the decline has been so swift and drastic? After all, Slauson for Faneca may be a huge step down on the running side, but Faneca’s last yr w us he was rated as one of the worst pass protectors in the game (see Football Focus website). So essentially we’re only talking about losing Damien Woody. Yes, Woody was great, but losing one guy makes us a sieve on passing downs? We can’t scheme for one weakness? Possible answers: teamwide loss of cohesiveness, loss of respect and effort, loss of caring for your teammates, recently the loss of Callahan (but they stunk last yr under him too). Help me here

37. By SCfromNY on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

Actually I always thought ALI (Mr. Clay) would take Liston. Frazier surprised me. I never loved Sanchez but his first 2 years were admirable. The rest of the team did not carry him. He was an intergal part of a TEAM whose players combined to be very good. Like the 49ers and Ravens with a good running game and defense. A quality QB should be able to overcome some lack of talent. The 2011 team did not start out as terrible. I feel the team stopped playing hard because Sanchez became more incompetent as the year went on. With the talent level in the NFL players not giving 100% for whatever reason will make the team fail. I hope Sanchez can improve and be a decent QB. I fear he will become David Carr. Wasted potential and lifetime backup.

38. By kleckofan on Aug 25, 2012 | Reply

SCNY- I like that analysis

39. By SCfromNY on Aug 25, 2012 | Reply

kleckofan I agree. I have been saying this over and over. The drastic decline is not reasonable. They could not have gotten this bad all of a sudden RT or not. Either as a unit they don’t care because it appears management has no clue or coaching is terrible.

40. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 25, 2012 | Reply

SCfromNY and kleckofan, it would help Sanchez if we had a GM who knew something about personnel and a HC who knew something about the modern, pass-first NFL offense. Instead of a GM who talks like a politician and a HC who still thinks a Jim Brown would solve all his problems.

41. By scjoe on Aug 25, 2012 | Reply

SCNY/klecko, On last years O line you have to consider the injuries (Slauson, Mangold in particular)I believe Moore had some injury issues as well. Brick did have an off year as well (at least I hope it was only an off year) and RT? Well, we all know about him. You add that up and it will tell you what happened to the O line last season. The only consistent player was Moore. The thing is, they all are supposedly healthy now, they shouldn’t be quite this bad. I know it is a different blocking scheme under Sparano. so hopefully they will work out the kinks (before one of the QBs gets killed)

42. By Tom Spicer on Aug 25, 2012 | Reply

I think it is a number of things 1 Mangold missing 3 games & playing hurt in multiple others with a high ankle sprain hurt his play 2 Moore coming off of a double hip surgery & not being able to practice during the week. He was not himself last year. 3 Slauson was hurt in the playoffs in 2010 & tried to play thru it he should have gotten surgery prior to last year but did not. As the year went on it got worse & worse & it hurt his play. I am hoping these are the reasons that all 3 of these guys will play better this year. 4 Hunter was the worst starting tackle in all of the NFL 5 Brick had a down year 6 & 7 both Plax & Mason were washed up we should have never let go of Braylon & Cotchery. Hopefully this year with Hunter replaced & the

43. By Tom Spicer on Aug 25, 2012 | Reply

other 3 guys healty. Plus Steve Hill the Jet O will be able to take off.

44. By kleckofan on Aug 26, 2012 | Reply

I hope the line injuries are (were) a huge factor; one that’s resolved.
    JFT64- Amen; I cringe w every Tanny interview, please fire him. I think Rex thinks Leroy Kelly is the savior; Jim is too quiet.LOL

45. By SCfromNY on Aug 26, 2012 | Reply

I know I keep pounding the OL but what posters have just said bears it out. They SHOULD be a lot better this preseason and they are not. I am trying to give them a break in that most OLs seem to be getting killed by the defenses. Most not all. And we are in the “vanilla” stage of Sporano’s O. Does anyone think we can just turn it on? Sanchez is in his fourth year and NEEDS a quality OL giving him protection and a running game to succeed. I’m sorry Spicer but Sanchez will never be elite. He is lacking too many attributes that make a QB elite. Can he succeed if surrounded by quality players? Maybe? I hope he does and is not ruined forever by last year.

46. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 26, 2012 | Reply

Yes, kleckofan, I’m glad to see even sportswriters — who, like political reporters, are often the last to wake up to reality — are starting to notice how Mr T excels at saying nothing very politely and professionally. As for Rex, he’s hopeless on O as all of you guys will see when we’re one of the lowest-scoring teams in the NFL this yr. Whereupon Tebow will come in and have the same effect as he did on DEN last yr, creating some excitement and winning a few games without in any way performing as a first-class NFL QB.